• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

71a5d250fca0a6400c3c9010.L.jpg

Yellow Moon -- CD

The Neville Brothers

1989 A&M Records
Amazon.com essential recording
The Neville Brothers are a New Orleans institution. Their voices glide freely and harmonize into a rich texture. For Yellow Moon, they enlisted the help of producer Daniel Lanois to meld their voices and rhythms with his swampy dreamscapes. The percussion is subtle, the guitars melt into the background, and the voices puncture the placid night sky, as if providing the soundtrack to an old western. Two protest-era Dylan songs ("With God on Our Side" and "The Ballad of Hollis Brown") are recast as modern anthems for spiritual reconciliation. The Sam Cooke classic "A Change is Gonna Come" remains an envied promise, while the original material (the title track; "Sister Rosa," about Rosa Parks) is among their finest. Not a return to form, but rather a welcome break from tradition. --Rob O'Connor

ddc0810ae7a03e9adb760210.L.jpg

ecff81b0c8a06069eb62a110.L.jpg

In Step -- CD

Stevie Ray Vaughan

1989/1999 Sony Music

Amazon.com essential recording

In Step embraces blues and rock without compromising the primal joys of either. This is Stevie Ray Vaughan's best studio album and the first he recorded sober. "Travis Walk" offers a heady rush of flat-picking, "The House is Rockin'" is full-tilt roots-boogie, "Let Me Love You Baby" and "Leave My Girl Alone" are sweet blues epiphanies, and the nine-minute instrumental "Riviera Paradise" is a truly soulful mix of blues and jazz. By now, just a year before his untimely death, Vaughan had also tamed his bawling voice into a rich instrument. In short, this 1989 session is Vaughan at his artistic peak. And the four compelling live performances added to this reissue--"The House Is Rockin'," "Let Me Love You Baby," "Texas Flood," and "Life Without You," all from the In Step tour--prove there was no studio trickery involved. It's raw blues-rock perfection. --Ted Drozdowski

All songs were written by Stevie Ray Vaughan, except where noted.

1. "The House Is Rockin'" (Doyle Bramhall, Vaughan) – 2:24
2. "Crossfire (Bill Carter, Ruth Ellsworth, Chris Layton, Tommy Shannon, Reese Wynans)" – 4:10
3. "Tightrope" (Bramhall, Vaughan) – 4:40
4. "Let Me Love You Baby" (Willie Dixon) – 2:43
5. "Leave My Girl Alone" (Buddy Guy) – 4:15
6. "Travis Walk" – 2:19
7. "Wall of Denial" (Bramhall, Vaughan) – 5:36
8. "Scratch-N-Sniff" (Bramhall, Vaughan) – 2:43
9. "Love Me Darlin'" (Chester Burnett) – 3:21
10. "Riviera Paradise" – 9:00

The 1999 reissue adds the following tracks:

1. "Stevie Ray Vaughan Speaks" – 1:33
2. "The House is Rockin'" (Live) (Bramhall, Vaughan) – 2:48
3. "Let Me Love You Baby" (Live) (Dixon) – 3:46
4. "Texas Flood" (Live) (Larry C. Davis, Joseph W. Scott) – 7:28
5. "Life Without You" (Live) – 13:17

"Life Without You" is essentially a long jam, with two extended guitar parts separated by break in which (with bassist Tommy Shannon and drummer Chris Layton still playing) Vaughan completes a short monologue on his troubles with substances abuse and his newly-found sobriety. He asks those in the audience to take care of themselves so they can "be there for the ones who love you and need you the most."

51OvmCBLyRL.jpg

Midnight Blue -- RVG Edition CD

Kenny Burrell

1967/1999 Blue Note Records

Amazon.com

Kenny Burrell's music is a wonderful blend of elegance and conviction, musical inventiveness and thoughtful restraint. On this 1967 session, the guitarist is joined by regular associates--tenorist Stanley Turrentine, conga drummer Ray Barretto, bassist Major Holley, and drummer Bill English--and together they concentrate on the subtlest and deepest hues of the blues, combining strong rhythmic grooves with a feeling of late-night reflection. There's never a misstep or a superfluous note, from the funky Latin hit "Chitlins Con Carne" to Burrell's deeply felt solo "Soul Lament" and the concentrated swing of "Gee, Baby, Ain't I Good to You." The result is a masterpiece, and the 24-bit remastering by the original engineer, Rudy Van Gelder, adds to the spaciousness and intimacy that have always been hallmarks of the session. --Stuart Broomer

Except where otherwise noted, all songs composed by Kenny Burrell.

1. "Chitlins con Carne" – 5:30
2. "Mule" (Burrell, Major Holley, Jr.) – 6:56
3. "Soul Lament" – 2:43
4. "Midnight Blue" – 4:02
5. "Wavy Gravy" – 5:47
6. "Gee Baby, Ain't I Good to You" (Andy Razaf, Don Redman) – 4:25
7. "Saturday Night Blues" – 6:16
8. "Kenny's Sound" (reissue bonus track) – 4:43
9. "K Twist" (reissue bonus track)– 3:36

Botch said:
That's a good'un! :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Yeah, the Neville Brothers sure are talented, whether alone or together, you're sure to be in for a good time!

Dennie

Dennie, this kinda personal question, but here goes. With all the listening, when do find time to eat and use the bathroom? :eusa-whistle:

Rope

Kazaam said:
However, unless the tidbits on disc 2 turn out to impress me immensely, I don't think I'll be digging any deeper into Faith No More's catalog. (Plus, I've all but forgotten about possibly picking up any of that strange Mr. Bungle stuff.)
Aaron German said:
I am not all that experienced with the music of Mike Patton, but I think I've heard enough to know that if the Faith No More is too much to the weird side for you, then Mr. Bungle most definitely will be. But Mr. Bungle might not be as heavy??? Any other opinions about this would be welcomed.

Although I don't like it all, I do enjoy some of the variety from Faith No More; but I prefer a more mainstream song structure than what I've heard from Mr. Bungle. I think you might be right about Mr. Bungle not being quite as heavy, though it's hard to tell from just a few Amazon samples and YouTube clips.

Probably the weirdest of the Mike Patton stuff I came across while websurfing has got to be the album entitled "Adult Themes For Voice". Ain't no way I'm getting that one! :happy-smileygiantred:

http://www.amazon.com/Adult-Themes-...=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1283995044&sr=8-6

70275.jpg

Three Or Four Shades Of Blues -- CD

Charles Mingus

1977/1989 Atlantic Records

Recorded on March 9 & 11, 1977 at Atlantic Studios, New York, and March 29, 1977 at The Record Plant, New York. Includes liner notes by Ilhan Mimaroglu.

Even in the latter stages of his career the notoriously restless Mingus never stopped ... Full Descriptionsearching for new ways to interpret and present his compositions. As befits one with such a mercurial muse, his artistic destinations were often surprising, but seldom as surprising as on THREE OR FOUR SHADES OF BLUES. Here he reconfigures (and redefines in the process) some of the best-known tunes from his daunting canon, tackling them in a more contemporary style. In 1977, this meant the enlistment of guitarists Larry Coryell and Philip Catherine to add some burning, fusion-friendly licks to "Better Git Hit in Your Soul" and frenetic amphetamine-flamenco riffs to "Goodbye Porkpie Hat." It's to Mingus' credit as arranger and bandleader that these updates never seem contrived and still don't sound dated. It's just one more way of viewing the revolutionary work of this compositional giant. THREE OR FOUR SHADES is exhilarating in its fresh outlook and unfettered passion.

The Mingus Band: Charles Mingus (acoustic bass); Ricky Ford (tenor saxophone); Jack Walrath (trumpet); Bob Neloms (piano); Dannie Richmond (drums).

Additional personnel: George Coleman (alto & tenor saxophones); Sonny Fortune (alto saxophone); Jimmy Rowles (piano); Larry Coryell, Philip Catherine, John Scofield (guitar); George Mraz, Ron Carter (acoustic bass); Dannie Richmond (drums)

1. "Better Get Hit in Yo' Soul" - 4:35
2. "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" - 7:00
3. "Noddin Ya Head Blues" - 10:29
4. "Three or Four Shades of Blues" - 12:03
5. "Nobody Knows" - 10:06

All compositions by Charles Mingus

Rope said:
Dennie, this kinda personal question, but here goes. With all the listening, when do find time to eat and use the bathroom? :eusa-whistle:

Rope

Here's my "Sweet Spot"........

klothron-toilet-chair2.jpg

.....and with my Cell Phone, food just arrives!!

images

...and amazon.com deliveries keep me in new things to play with.......

images

I do appreciate your concern, but I'm Good!! :happy-smileygiantred:

Dennie

Nice! I need to hear some classical music on a planar system someday...

FAIL!!!

WhereTF is the beer fridge??? :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

Botch said:
FAIL!!!

WhereTF is the beer fridge??? :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

Hidden under the Fake rolls of T.P. on the floor!!! :teasing-tease:

Dennie :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

51c5fNjJInL._SS500_.jpg

Normal As Blueberry Pie { A Tribute To Doris Day } -- CD

Nelly McKay

2009 Verve Records

Product Description

Producing, arranging and performing this album is for McKay the natural outcome of years of enraptured listening to Ms. Day's music. "She was - and still is - ahead of her time". Nellie handpicked these songs from over 600 recordings. McKay has a very special connection to this cultural icon - the # 1 female box office star of all time and one of the most prolific recording artists in history - Nellie received the Doris Day Music Award in 2005 and is one of the few people in the last 30 years to be granted an interview with Ms. Day. Nellie's Verve debut is a sophisticated but accessible recording with spare and tasteful arrangements that clearly put the focus on the songs and McKay's exquisite vocal stylings. McKay's fresh take on this music is smartly delivered with a curtsy to Doris, a nod to convention, and a unique twist all her own. An actress (Theater World Award-winner in Three Penny Opera on Broadway), writer and activist (sharing Ms. Day's passion for the animal welfare movement) Nellie is a welcome addition to the rich legacy of great women artists on Verve.

1. "The Very Thought of You"
2. "Do Do Do"
3. "Wonderful Guy"
4. "Meditation"
5. "Mean to Me"
6. "Crazy Rhythm"
7. "Sentimental Journey"
8. "If I Ever Had a Dream"
9. "Black Hills of Dakota"
10. "Dig It"
11. "Send Me No Flowers"
12. "Close Your Eyes"
13. "I Remember You"

Ok ok, geez. Some people.

Two Vaughans today:

51l0KUD0mVL._SS500_.jpg

51seBXc6a-L._SS500_.jpg

61XiJeMcGwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm listening to the SACD of LAGQ's "Latin" album. I like about 1/3 of the album. So if I ignore the rest---AND I DO!---then it becomes one of my favorite albums. Here is my revised version:

1. Fragile
2. Hasta Alicia Baila
3. Forrobodo
4. Cuban Landscape With Rain
5. Danza de Jalisco
6. La Trampa

Clocking in at just under 31 minutes, these six songs are great in surround.

Back