• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Botch said:
Dennie said:
5190c060ada0d8bc6e3aa110.L.jpg

drag -- CD

K.D. Lang

Killer. Absolutely Killer!! :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:
It sure is!

I've got a few of her albums and I can't find one I don't like. But I'm going to keep looking! :twocents-mytwocents:

Dennie

aee7619009a0c8e342d58110.L.jpg

Dead Set -- CD

Grateful Dead

1981 Arista Records

*****FIVE STARS*****And More If I Could!!!!, June 16, 2006
By
Marley (Long Island, NY) - See all my reviews

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Dead Set (Dig) (Audio CD)

If I Had My Way!!!...If I Had My Way!!!...If I Had My Way!!!!!! Yea, Bob Weir, sounding very "Dave Van Ronk Like", (actually it's a Rev Gary Davis composition) really ripping into the intro of Samson & Delilah. And Billy and Mickey stirring up some true thunder, along with Phil all perfoming yeoman's work as the Deads staleworth rhythm section. Turn it down a tad on the next cut as Jerry gives one his finest, heart-felt reditions of Friend Of The Devil. Once again Jerry's in great voice on Deal, sounding strong and inspired. Passenger, Franklin's Tower and Fire On The Mountain are also given the royal treatment, further testament to this collection's absolute greatness.

What I've always loved about this recording, (I still have my orginal vinyl 2-LP set in mint condition) is the sound. Recorded in the acoustically world acclaimed Radio City Music Hall, NYC, the music jumps right out at you...Crisp, Clean with hardly a trace of echo...Just brilliant. And of course the Bonus material on this new expanded version...Well I'll say, I can't understand why they didn't include everything here in the orginal 1980 release. This really is at the top of the heap in my book. Perhaps only Europe 72 ranks as high as this baby. *****FIVE STARS***** And More If I Could!!!

1. "Samson and Delilah" (trad., arr. Bob Weir) – 5:02
2. "Friend of the Devil" (John Dawson, Robert Hunter, Jerry Garcia) – 7:28
3. "New Minglewood Blues" (trad., arr. Weir) – 4:41
4. "Deal" (Hunter, Garcia) – 4:36
5. "Candyman" (Hunter, Garcia) – 7:15
6. "Little Red Rooster" (Willie Dixon) – 4:31
7. "Loser" (Hunter, Garcia) – 5:45
8. "Passenger" (Monk, Phil Lesh) – 3:21
9. "Feel Like a Stranger" (Barlow, Weir) – 5:41
10. "Franklin's Tower" (Hunter, Garcia, Bill Kreutzmann) – 5:22
11. "Rhythm Devils" (Mickey Hart, Kreutzmann) – 4:02
12. "Space" (Hart, Kreutzmann, Lesh, Brent Mydland) – 2:29
13. "Fire on the Mountain" (Hunter, Hart) – 6:30
14. "Greatest Story Ever Told" (Hunter, Hart, Weir) – 4:04
15. "Brokedown Palace" (Hunter, Garcia) – 5:42

51SvobErMlL._SS500_.jpg

No Place That Far -- CD

Sara Evans

1998 RCA Records

Amazon.com

Sara Evans's 1997 debut, Three Chords and the Truth, seemed, on first hearing, impossible. Here was a major-label Nashville album that, once again, faithfully captured the heartbreaking simplicity of classic country; here was a singer who could belt out with raw nerve and then slip low into deep smokiness. Evans's RCA follow-up is nearly as good, even as it leaves that hard country sound for a more radio-friendly, rocking edge. Billy Sherrill handles the recording, and though there's a luxurious quality to the layers of guitars and vocal harmonies, the standouts "Crying Game" and "Great Unknown" sound more like driving Americana rock than Top 40 country-pop. The real attraction, however, is Evans's fluid songwriting and expressive voice: whether she's singing beside George Jones, Vince Gill, or Alison Krauss, Evans's true, warm tone is, on the mainstream country scene, an emotional world apart. --Roy Kasten

1. "The Great Unknown" (Phil Barnhart, Sara Evans, James House) – 3:53
2. "Cryin' Game" (Jamie O'Hara) – 2:54
3. "No Place That Far" (Evans, Tony Martin, Tom Shapiro) – 3:37
4. "I Thought I'd See Your Face Again" (Marv Green, Rick Orozco) – 3:28
5. "Fool, I'm a Woman" (Matraca Berg, Evans) – 3:06
6. "Time Won't Tell" (Beth Nielsen Chapman) – 3:53
7. "The Knot Comes Untied" (Ron Harbin, Ed Hill, Sam Hogin) – 3:42
8. "Love, Don't Be a Stranger" (Mary Sharon Rice, Bill Rice) – 3:16
9. "These Days" (Evans, Billy Yates) – 3:14
10. "Cupid" (Keith Gattis, Kostas) – 3:03
11. "There's Only One" (Evans, Leslie Satcher) – 2:58

Before she died of leukemia in 1986 at the young age of 44, singer and songwriter Kate Wolf had criss-crossed North America for fifteen years performing some of the most remarkable songs of the era. With roots in the golden hills, valleys and seashores of Northern California, her songs are still vibrant and healing...simple yet profound. On this new recording, fourteen artists and admirers pay tribute to Kate and her music.

08a1c060ada0bcd2c0a59110.L.jpg

Treasures Left Behind: Remembering Kate Wolf -- CD

Various Artists

1998 Red House Records

In memoriam Kate, June 13, 2001
By brad lonard (Sydney, Australia)

This review is from: Treasures Left Behind: Remembering Kate Wolf (Audio CD)

A lovingly produced tribute to the late folk singer/songwriter. Some of the artists -- John Gorka, Emmylou Harris, Lucinda Williams -- never met her but are fervent admirers. Others -- U Utah Phillips, Terry Garthwaite, Peter Rowan, Greg Brown -- worked with her. Each seems moved to invest something of their soul in the songs, and the result is extremely moving. Best tracks? Well, they're all great, but I'd give the nod to Dave Alvin's world-weary take on These Times We're Living In, and the age-meets-experience of Phillips on See Here She Said and Rosalie Sorrel's In China Or A Woman's Heart; and the instrumental version of Back Roads by Nina Gerber, Kate's own guitarist, who also acted as the producer and motivating force behind the project. If you don't know anything about Kate Wolf, you'll be a fan by the time the record's over; if you're already a fan, you'll be intrigued and moved by the different approach each artist brings to these songs. Get it; you'll never regret it.

* Give Yourself To Love Kathy Mattea
* These Times We’re Living In Dave Alvin
* Friend Of Mine Nanci Griffith
* Sweet Love John Gorka
* Here In California Lucinda Williams
* Like A River Peter Rowan
* Carolina Pines Cris Williamson & Tret Fure
* See Here, She Said Utah Phillips
* In China Or A Woman’s Heart Rosalie Sorrels
* Tequila And Me Greg Brown & Ferron
* Back Roads Nina Gerber (instrumental)
* Cornflower Blue Eric Bogle
* Love Still Remains Emmylou Harris
* Thinking About You Terry Garthwaite

Emmylou Harris' rendition of Kate Wolf's Love Still Remains, on the Kate Wolf tribute album Treasures Left Behind: Remembering Kate Wolf, received a 1999 Grammy Nomination for Female Country Vocal Performance.

514V80XDQKL._SS500_.jpg

Rock and Roll Doctor: A Tribute To Lowell George -- CD

Various Artists

1997 Kaigan Records (Import)

He had 2 Degrees in Bebop, a PhD in Swing ..., June 4, 2001
By William H. Maruca "Bill Maruca" (Wexford, PA USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

This review is from: Rock and Roll Doctor: A Tribute to Lowell George (Audio CD)

Lowell was Da Man! Never got to see him in person but I never pass up anything associated with him. Get all the official Little Feat CDs (including their excellent and neglected post-Lowell George releases) and Thanks I'll Eat It Here before you get this, but get this anyway! It shows off George's brilliant songwriting in the hands of very sympathetic interpreters. I understand a Japanese version features Dr. John and others and includes the signature song Dixie Chicken, but you won't miss it. (There are plenty of covers of that one out there anyway.)

Track Listing

1. Cold, Cold, Cold - Bonnie Raitt/Little Feat

2. Feets Don't Fail Me Now - Taj Mahal

3. Roll Um Easy - J. D. Souther

4. Rocket in My Pocket - Bottle Rockets/David Lindley

5. Sailin' Shoes - Randy Newman/Valerie Carter

6. I've Been the One - Jackson Browne

7. Two Trains - Allen Toussaint/Leo Nocentelli

8. Long Distance Love - Keisuke Kuwata/Merry Clayton

9. Rock and Roll Doctor - Eddie Money/Buddaheads

10. Straight From the Heart - Chris Hillman/Jennifer Warnes

11. Honest Man - Little Feat

12. Spanish Moon - Phil Perry/Merry Clayton/Ricky Lawson

13. Trouble - Inara George

14. (Untitled) - (hidden track)

Was listening to this earlier before the wife started complaining about the bass rattling the walls.

516ytL4%2B6qL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

So then, to really piss her off, I popped this little gem in there. hehehe.... :teasing-neener:

51PZCA1YCNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Dennie, for some reason I think you would dig the Advancement album. I think the group is comprised of many session players who played with some big acts of the 60s. If you like psychedelic rock and acid jazz, it's a must own.

Yesfan70 said:
Was listening to this earlier before the wife started complaining about the bass rattling the walls.

516ytL4%2B6qL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

So then, to really piss her off, I popped this little gem in there. hehehe.... :teasing-neener:

51PZCA1YCNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Dennie, for some reason I think you would dig the Advancement album. I think the group is comprised of many session players who played with some big acts of the 60s. If you like psychedelic rock and acid jazz, it's a must own.
Thanks for the recommendation Yesfan, I've sent a email to my "used music dealer". I'll see what he can find!

Dennie :handgestures-thumbup:

Ray_LaMontagne_CMYK_album_review__m.jpg

God Willin' & The Creek Don't Rise -- CD

Ray LaMontagne and The Pariah Dogs

2010 RCA Records

Thoughtful, Soulful, Cool-as-Cucumber, August 17, 2010
By Rudy Palma "The Writing Fiend" (NJ) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

This review is from: God Willin' & The Creek Don't Rise (Audio CD)

Letting Ray LaMontagne transport you has never been easier, and new LP "God Willin' & the Creek Don't Rise" is the reason why. His fourth album release - and the first to have him billed in a band context with the excellent Pariah Dogs - sounds rich, organic and sincere.

From the first song to the last the album sounds like the kind of live concert one might stumble upon during a night of bar hopping and count himself especially lucky for having chanced upon.

Things are a little changed this time around. The band is front and center in its support of LaMontagne, justifying their co-billing. Furthermore, he has taken over the production helm from Ethan Johns, taking more control over the final product. The result is sonic textures even more mellowed and marinated than before, allowing the songs maximum ability to catch hold and wield an impression upon the listener.

Even if LaMontagne hits upon a cliched phrases or idea here and there ("New York City's Bringing Me Down") it does not detract.

In fact, his directness and lack of pretense result in his themes - among them heartbreak ("This Love Is Over"), self-preservation ("Repo Man") and breaking free from convention (the husky, awesome "Beg Steal or Borrow") - coming off with ease and precisely-chiseled grace. This results in a set of a songs that are arresting at first listen.

A particular highlight is the sublime, catchy, profoundly beautiful "Old Before Your Time," which has such melodic panache it recalls heyday Elton John and Don McLean. It acknowledges the bittersweet reality of the examined life yet remains optimistic and soothing, one of LaMontagne's specialties. The same can be said of "For the Summer," which features awesome instrumental breaks.

LaMontagne has grown remarkably for an artist only on his fourth studio record. "God Willin' & the Creek Don't Rise" is sure to please fans and earn many converts.

1. "Repo Man" 6:08
2. "New York City's Killing Me" 4:13
3. "God Willin' & the Creek Don't Rise" 3:10
4. "Beg Steal or Borrow" 4:32
5. "Are We Really Through" 4:59
6. "This Love Is Over" 3:30
7. "Old Before Your Time" 4:04
8. "For the Summer" 3:52
9. "Like Rock & Roll and Radio" 6:05
10. "Devil's in the Jukebox" 3:59

61vFEkoZxwL._SS500_.jpg

Low Country Blues -- CD

Gregg Allman

2011 Rounder Records

Product Description

Gregg Allman's first solo album in 14 years was produced by T Bone Burnett and features 11 covers of songs from legendary bluesmen Muddy Waters, Otis Rush, B.B. King, Bobby Bland, Sleepy John Estes, and many more, PLUS an original song written by Gregg and the Allman Brothers' Warren Haynes called "Just Another Rider." Gregg's backing band on the album includes Dr. John on piano, Doyle Bramhall II on guitar, and the incomparable rhythm section of bassist Dennis Crouch and drummer Jay Bellerose (from Robert Plant and Alison Krauss's multiple Grammy-winning `Raising Sand' album).

1. Floating Bridge (Sleepy John Estes)
2. Little By Little (Junior Wells)
3. Devil Got My Woman (Skip James)
4. I Can’t Be Satisfied (Muddy Waters)
5. Blind Man (Bobby Bland)
6. Just Another Rider (Gregg Allman & Warren Haynes)
7. Please Accept My Love (BB King)
8. I Believe I’ll Go Back Home (Traditional)
9. Tears Tears Tears (Amos Milburn)
10. My Love is Your Love (Samuel Maghett)
11. Checking On My Baby (Otis Rush)
12. Rolling Stone (Traditional)

f3a28bacd7a018cb85548110.L.jpg

Learning To Flinch -- CD

Warren Zevon

1993 Giant Records

Flinching In Public, March 22, 2005
By Tim Brough "author and music buff" (Springfield, PA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER) (VINE VOICE)

This review is from: Learning to Flinch (Audio CD)

This is a very frustrating listen, because it is so darn spotty. The voice is frequently undermiked, and the guitar is often harsh. But it is Warren Zevon in his element. I saw him play a show very much like the ones captured here, in Harrisburg PA, during the tour for "The Envoy." He was a captivating performer, full of wicked humor and some amazing chops.

The best moments on "Learning To Flinch" come when Warren sits behind his piano and lets loose. "Excitable Boy," "Hasten Down The Wind," are the CD's highpoints. But you also have to put up with a nearly inaudible version of "Mr Bad Example" and a puzzlingly drawn out synthesized opening to "Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner."

"Learning to Flinch" will likely always stay in my library because of the handful of great renditions here (especially "Boom Boom Mancini"), but only the die hards should feel like they absolutely have to own this. The superior "Stand in the Fire" concert album has returned to print, so you really can do better.

1. Splendid Isolation
2. Lawyers, Guns And Money
3. Mr. Bad Example
4. Excitable Boy
5. Hasten Down The Wind
6. The French Inhaler
7. Worrier King
8. Roland Chorale
9. Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner
10. Searching For A Heart
11. Boom Boom Mancini
12. Jungle Work
13. Piano Fighter
14. Werewolves Of London
15. The Indifference Of Heaven
16. Poor Poor Pitiful Me
17. Play It All Night Long

So much music........so little time! :banana-rock: :banana-dance: :banana-rock: :banana-dance: :banana-rock: :banana-dance:

Right now I am listening to Warren's "Hasten Down The Wind" and it is just Beautiful! :eusa-clap:

I'm going to have to listen to Linda doing it, next!

Dennie :music-listening:

41VxQPHAU1L._SS500_.jpg

Hasten Down The Wind -- 24k Gold OMR CD

Linda Ronstadt

2010 Mofi Ultradisc II

WELL ROUNDED ALBUM, June 6, 2003
By Pieter "Toypom" (Johannesburg) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)

This review is from: Hasten Down the Wind (Audio CD)

This is probably Linda Ronstadt's most accomplished and beautiful album in its refreshing variety of styles and well chosen material. Her version of the gospel-reggae classic Rivers Of Babylon is closer to that of The Melodians than Boney M and she does a stunning cover of Buddy Holly's That'll Be The Day. The buoyant pop song Give One Heart has an addictive hook and is performed with gusto, while the Spanish ballad Lo Siento Mi Vida is soulful and moving, the perfect vehicle for bringing out the tender side of her voice. Other beautiful ballads include the title track, Someone To Lay Down Beside Me and If He's Ever Near. Ronstadt's flexible voice blends perfectly with all of these styles to ensure a cohesive sound and a very enjoyable listening experience after all these years. Anyone who appreciates crossover country, contemporary folk or pop-rock will enjoy this classic album of melodic songs. I discovered Ronstadt, Rita Coolidge and Emmylou Harris at the same time in the 1970s and have remained a fan ever since. It's a pity Coolidge and Ronstadt have not been as consistently prolific as Harris.

1. "Lose Again" (Karla Bonoff) - 3:34
2. "The Tattler" (Ry Cooder, Russ Titelman, Washington Phillips) - 3:56
3. "If He's Ever Near" (Karla Bonoff) - 3:15
4. "That'll Be the Day" (Jerry Allison, Buddy Holly, Norman Petty) - 2:32
5. "Lo Siento Mi Vida" (Linda Ronstadt, Kenny Edwards, Gilbert Ronstadt) - 3:54
6. "Hasten Down the Wind" (Warren Zevon) - 2:40
7. "Rivers of Babylon" (Brent Dowe, Trevor McNaughton, S. McNaughton) - 0:52
8. "Give One Heart" (John Hall, Johanna Hall) - 4:07
9. "Try Me Again" (Linda Ronstadt, Andrew Gold) - 3:59
10. "Crazy" (Willie Nelson) - 3:58
11. "Down So Low" (Tracy Nelson) - 4:08
12. "Someone to Lay Down Beside Me" (Karla Bonoff) - 4:28

My last one for the evening....

51RNJEfu0YL._SS400_.jpg

But Beauiful - Standards Volume 1 CD

Boz Scaggs

2003 Gray Cat Records

A Match Made In Music Heaven!, May 14, 2003
By Mike King "Mike Vegas King" (Taunton, MA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

This review is from: But Beautiful, Standards: Volume 1 (Audio CD)

Many rock singers have released albums of standards with varying degrees of success. Where Nelson Riddle's big band arrangement perfectly suited Linda Ronstadt, who belted out the song "What's New?" for all she's worth, the small jazz combo backing Boz Scaggs perfectly suits his laid back vocals on that song. He sings the classic "Sophisticated Lady" as though Duke Ellington had written it for him to perform. Boz sings "For All We Know" with a world weariness that perfectly matches the mood of the lyrics. "So love me tonight; tomorrow was made for some. Tomorrow may never come, for all we know." No singer's voice is better suited to singing standards than Boz Scaggs. The musicians backing him are superb and the production is perfect. The subtitle of this album is Standards, Volume One. Personally, I can't wait to hear Volume Two!

1. "What's New?" (Bob Haggart, Johnny Burke) – 4:30
2. "Never Let Me Go" (Ray Evans, Jay Livingston) – 5:06
3. "How Long Has This Been Going On?" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) – 6:07
4. "Sophisticated Lady" (Duke Ellington, Irving Mills, Mitchell Parish) – 5:14
5. "But Beautiful" (Jimmy Van Heusen, Johnny Burke) – 5:36
6. "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered" (Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart) – 3:29
7. "Easy Living" (Ralph Rainger, Leo Robin) – 4:13
8. "I Should Care" (Axel Stordahl, Paul Weston, Sammy Cahn) – 5:25
9. "You Don't Know What Love Is" (Gene de Paul, Don Raye) – 5:46
10. "For All We Know" (J. Fred Coots, Sam M. Lewis) – 5:30

Dennie said:
61vFEkoZxwL._SS500_.jpg

Low Country Blues -- CD

Gregg Allman

2011 Rounder Records

Product Description

Gregg Allman's first solo album in 14 years was produced by T Bone Burnett and features 11 covers of songs from legendary bluesmen Muddy Waters, Otis Rush, B.B. King, Bobby Bland, Sleepy John Estes, and many more, PLUS an original song written by Gregg and the Allman Brothers' Warren Haynes called "Just Another Rider." Gregg's backing band on the album includes Dr. John on piano, Doyle Bramhall II on guitar, and the incomparable rhythm section of bassist Dennis Crouch and drummer Jay Bellerose (from Robert Plant and Alison Krauss's multiple Grammy-winning `Raising Sand' album).

1. Floating Bridge (Sleepy John Estes)
2. Little By Little (Junior Wells)
3. Devil Got My Woman (Skip James)
4. I Can’t Be Satisfied (Muddy Waters)
5. Blind Man (Bobby Bland)
6. Just Another Rider (Gregg Allman & Warren Haynes)
7. Please Accept My Love (BB King)
8. I Believe I’ll Go Back Home (Traditional)
9. Tears Tears Tears (Amos Milburn)
10. My Love is Your Love (Samuel Maghett)
11. Checking On My Baby (Otis Rush)
12. Rolling Stone (Traditional)

Dennie, how is this one???

Back