• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

This is my last one for the evening....

000b8d43_medium.jpg

Famous Blue Raincoat -- 20th Anniversary 24k Gold Edition CD
The Songs of Leonard Cohen

Jennifer Warnes

2010 Impx Records

Downright classic coveralbum, superb soundquality even bettered, February 10, 2011
By pierke666 (Flanders, Belgium) - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Famous Blue Raincoat (24 Karat Gold CD) (Audio CD)

This is one of my all time fave 's : as so many "HiFi-freaks" I first heard this one on a show years ago. By now it has been demo 'ed to death, but people still bring this album along to compare equipment ! True, there 's nothing "natural" 'bout the sound : every single detail you hear has been very carefully added in the mix. No "one-take live" sensation here, with "warts 'n all" portrayal : instead a seemingly endlessly detailed and heavily polished sound. (This 24 Kt gold version especially : As good as zero backgroundhiss, very wide freq.range and wonderful lowlevel micro-dynamics.) Production is thus very "US-style" : rather smooth/sweet and errs on the side of bombastic. This brings me finally to the music (To me still the most important thing, but not to every "High-Ender" out there, it seems) which is nothing short of fantastic! Some coverversions here even trump the original (L.Cohen-)versions, nearly making them seem bleek. No bald statement of me alone : even Mr. Cohen himself who collaborated in the making of this album admitted this in an interview! I can only think of a handful of coverversions doing this, and none of them are by the same artist, let alone on one album... And even if the emotional approach is sometimes "opera-like" larger-than-life JW gets away with it, being the incredible singer she is.
Somehow a shame to state this -JW being a singer/songwriter- but if you 're thinking of buying just one of her albums, let this be the one (especially this edition containing extra tracks): you won't be dissapointed !

All songs written by Leonard Cohen except where noted.

"First We Take Manhattan" – 3:47
"Bird on a Wire" – 4:42
"Famous Blue Raincoat" – 5:33
"Joan of Arc" – 7:57
"Ain't No Cure for Love" – 3:21
"Coming Back to You" – 3:43
"Song of Bernadette" – 3:55 (Jennifer Warnes, Bill Elliott, Cohen)
"A Singer Must Die" – 4:52
"Came So Far for Beauty" – 3:37 (Cohen, John Lissauer)

Additional tracks on 20th anniversary reissue

"Night Comes On"
"Ballad of the Runaway Horse"
"If It Be Your Will"
"Joan of Arc" (Live in Antwerp, Belgium, 1992)

thesecretsisters131.jpg

The Secret Sisters -- CD

The Secret Sisters

2010 Universal Republic

Amazing album., October 15, 2010
By S. Holmes (Auburn, NE) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Secret Sisters (Audio CD)

I've fallen out of love with recent country releases and have been relying on my catalog of music going back anywhere from 20-50 years to satisfy my country needs. This is a fantastic album by two sisters that are perfect for each other and remaining true to the contemporary country of the past.

The vocals of the sisters are great. They sound awesome together and the harmonies are top notch.

The only problem that I could really have with this album is the number of songs that are covers. The songs that they wrote themselves are very good, and I would have liked to see more of that and less covers on the album.

I'm not going to knock it down to 4 stars though, because even though I think there is room for improvement this is the kind of country I've been aching for. If you're sick of the poppy country of today and are ready for a good throwback to the past, give this a shot.

"Tennessee Me" – 2:28
"Why Baby Why" – 2:29
"The One I Love Is Gone" – 3:25
"My Heart Skips a Beat" – 2:22
"Something Stupid" – 2:42
"I've Got a Feeling" – 2:25
"Do You Love an Apple" – 2:44
"All About You" – 2:58
"Waste the Day" – 2:35
"Why Don't You Love Me" – 2:19
"House of Gold" – 2:57

RayCharlesSpotlightOn.jpg

Spotlight On Ray Charles

Ray Charles

1962 Design Records

A1 Rocking Chair Blues
A2 Back Alley Blues
A3 Here Am I
A4 Mixed Up Blues
A5 If I Give You My Love
B1 Can't You See, Darling, What You're Doing To Me
B2 Jumpin' With Teddy
B3 Going Down Slow
B4 Honkin' Blues
B5 Satchel Mouth Blues

DaveBrubeckGoneWithTheWind.jpg

Gone With The Wind

The Dave Brubeck Quartet

1959 Columbia Records (Stereo)

A Refeshingly, Cool, Inviting Wind!, November 18, 2001
By A Customer

This review is from: Gone With the Wind (Audio CD)

After personally witnessing Joe Morello execute a ONE-handed drum "roll" at a seminar of his in Madison Wi. in the early '60's,his exquisite brush-work solo on "Swanee River",was not surprising,but is nevertheless totally pleasing each time I hear it! This "jazz drummer's drummer"(in my estimation),also shines radiantly in his "Short'nin Bread" solo,on melodically-tuned tom-toms.
Eugene Wright's delightful bass solo in "Old Man River",leaves no room for criticism either,confirming that he & Morello were two, sometimes overlooked, pillars supporting this innovative,trail-blazing quartet.
Much (deserved)praise has been showered upon Brubeck & Desmond of course,& one listen to "Georgia on my Mind",with Paul's luscious,almost haunting sax solo & Dave's beautiful piano interpretation will suffice to instruct anyone unfamiliar with them,as to why their music remains so popular to this day.

"Swanee River"
"The Lonesome Road"
"Georgia on My Mind"
"Camptown Races"
"Camptown Races" (different version)
"Short'nin' Bread"
"Basin Street Blues"
"Ol' Man River"
"Gone with the Wind"

51W7GC4PR2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Probably better than the other best of Sammy albums. I also have Unboxed but I like this one better than it.

DaveBrubeckPlaysBrubeck.jpg

Brubeck Plays Brubeck

Dave Brubeck (Solo Piano)

1956 Columbia Records CL 878 (White Demo Label :handgestures-thumbup: )

Amazon.com

Hopefully, the reappearance of this revelatory 1956 record will force many critics and musicians to reconsider Brubeck's stature in the world of jazz piano. Recorded late at night in his Oakland, California, home, it was Brubeck's first full solo-piano recording and also his first all-original record, and it illustrates his marvelously elegant fusion of classical and cocktail conceptions. Brubeck understands blues and swing, but he uses these elements as tools for effect, not as default settings. Brubeck instead offers a fuller palette of emotions and ideas--playful, sober, stern, happy, pensive, cerebral. While "In Your Own Sweet Way" and "The Duke" have become standards, the album includes obscure gems such as the minisuite "Two-Part Contention," with its many tempo, mood, and stylistic turns, and the discreetly swinging "Walkin' Line," although he lapses into melodrama with "Weep No More." Still, on "The Duke" (originally titled "The Duke Meets Darius Milhaud"), it's fascinating to hear how easily and smoothly he fits all 12 scale notes into his opening bass figure. As he himself points out in the brilliant original notes (reprinted here), the marriage of European music and American music dates back to New Orleans jazzmen such as King Oliver. And to dismiss any notions of intellectualism in jazz would be a great insult to everyone from Oliver to Charlie Parker to John Lewis to Bill Evans to Sun Ra. This is the jazz of Brubeck's own experience, and while it may sound too poised and polished for some tastes, it is honestly his and must be viewed as such. --Marc Greilsamer

"Swing Bells" 3:39
"Walkin' Line" 2:47
"In Your Own Sweet Way" 5:01
"Two-Part Contention" 5:39
"Weep No More" 3:59
"The Duke" 2:54
"When I Was Young" 3:19
"One Moment Worth Years" 4:55
"The Waltz" 3:49

DaveBrubeckJazzAtTheCollegeOfThePacific.jpg

Jazz At The College Of The Pacific

Dave Brubeck Quartet

1953 Fantasy Records F-3223 Red Vinyl

Sublime, November 2, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Jazz at the College of the Pacific 1 (Audio CD)

Brubeck and Desmond work their special magic here and produce their finest live recording. This is sophisticated improv to tame the beast. I have listened to these tracks uncountable times and I never get tired of them. This is truely a wistful soundtrack to transport one to a higher realm. Try this the next time you are caught in heavy traffic on a rainy afternoon. You won't mind the delay. It never fails.

"All the Things You Are" (Jerome Kern, Oscar Hammerstein II) 9:12
"Laura" (David Raksin, Johnny Mercer) 3:12
"Lullaby in Rhythm" (Walter Hirsch, Benny Goodman) 7:25
"I'll Never Smile Again" (Ruth Lowe) 5:28
"I Remember You" (Victor Schertzinger, Johnny Mercer) 9:12
"For All We Know" (J. Fred Coots, Sam M. Lewis) 5:52

Good choices Dennie! Was just listening to this in the car this morning on the way to/from church, it's becoming one of my favorites of his:

51%2B2EKfXwTL._SS500_.jpg

PaulyT said:
Good choices Dennie! Was just listening to this in the car this morning on the way to/from church, it's becoming one of my favorites of his:

51%2B2EKfXwTL._SS500_.jpg
Great Choice Pauly! He has such a big catalog, it is difficult to pick just one!

Dennie

From the Front Cover:

"In Olden days a glimpse of stocking was looked on as something shocking, but now, Heaven Knows....

DaveBrubeckAnythingGoes.jpg

Anything Goes!

The Dave Brubeck Quartet Plays Cole Porter

1966 Columbia Records CS 9402

Old wine in new bottles: Brubeck swings Cole Porter
, September 1, 2007
By M. Bromberg "BellemeadeBooks" (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Anything Goes: Music of Cole Porter (Audio CD)

As Gene Tuttle's original liner notes to this album state flat-out, Cole Porter's elegant tunes seemed "old hat" when this album was recorded. Maybe so, but the Brubeck Quartet interprets these eight Porter standards in a cool, sophisticated west-coast style that swings like mad. Listen how Brubeck and Paul Desmond solo around the melody of "You're the Top," turning the 1934 chestnut into a flash of unexpected chord changes. "I Get a Kick Out of You" is a straight-ahead number pushed along by Brubeck's incredible, doubletime riffing. He even manages a Bach quote in the quieter, introspective mood of "What Is This Thing Called Love." After the ground-breaking music of "Time Out" maybe it is true that Brubeck felt he was taking a step back when this album was released in 1966, but fans old and new will hear this as a classic Quartet album. Sadly out-of-print but highly recommended.

Side 1:

Anything Goes (5:38)
Love for Sale (5:14)
Night and Day (4:52)
What is This Thing Called Love (6:14)

Side 2:

I Get a Kick Out of You (5:14)
Just One of Those Things (6:18)
You’re the Top (6:34)
All Through the Night (8:25)
Dave Brubeck, piano
Paul Desmond, alto sax
Joe Morello, drums
Gene Wright, bass

61qvzM0%2BzNL._SS500_.jpg

don't have that Keb Mo disc Dennie mentioned earlier . . .("Slow Down")

I'm thinkin' that'd be a good new (to me) disc to pick up

topper said:
61qvzM0%2BzNL._SS500_.jpg

don't have that Keb Mo disc Dennie mentioned earlier . . .("Slow Down")

I'm thinkin' that'd be a good new (to me) disc to pick up

I think you're right! :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

Okay, I need to go do some work in the Backyard, so this is the last vinyl for a while.

200gram Remastered on Quixex SV-P Vinyl....

DaveBrubeckQuartetTimeOut.jpg

Time Out

The Dave Brubeck Quartet

1959/1995 Columbia/Classic Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Boasting the first jazz instrumental to sell a million copies, the Paul Desmond-penned "Take Five," Time Out captures the celebrated jazz quartet at the height of both its popularity and its powers. Recorded in 1959, the album combines superb performances by pianist Brubeck, alto saxophonist Desmond, drummer Joe Morrello and bassist Gene Wright. Along with "Take Five," the album features another one of the group's signature compositions, "Blue Rondo a la Turk." Though influenced by the West Coast-cool school, Brubeck's greatest interest and contribution to jazz was the use of irregular meters in composition, which he did with great flair. Much of the band's appeal is due to Desmond, whose airy tone and fluid attack often carried the band's already strong performances to another level. Together, he and Brubeck proved one of the most potent pairings of the era. --Fred Goodman

All pieces composed by Dave Brubeck, except "Take Five" by Paul Desmond.

Side one

"Blue Rondo à la Turk" – 6:44
"Strange Meadow Lark" – 7:22
"Take Five" – 5:24

Side two

"Three to Get Ready" – 5:24
"Kathy's Waltz" – 4:48
"Everybody's Jumpin'" – 4:23
"Pick Up Sticks" – 4:16

61NFB1hD2dL.jpg

James Taylor (LIVE) -- 2 CD Box Set

James Taylor

1993 Columbia Records

Amazon.com

A sweeping, 30-track career retrospective that leaves almost nothing out, Live is a much more filling meal than the two-part Best Live series, each of which contains 12 tracks. Fans will want one or the other of these packages, and will need no further elaboration on their merits. But those who just want a sampler of Taylor's hit songs might want to check this out as well. The best greatest hits package, Classic Songs, is an import, and costs a premium. The domestic Greatest Hits was compiled in 1976, and misses later tracks. It also features rerecorded versions of some of its songs. This is a better value than the import and offers a better selection than the domestic sampler. --Gavin McNett

Disc one
No. Title Length
1. "Sweet Baby James" 4:13
2. "Traffic Jam" 2:10
3. "Handy Man" (Otis Blackwell, Jimmy Jones) 3:31
4. "Your Smiling Face" 3:03
5. "Secret O' Life" 3:45
6. "Shed a Little Light" 4:32
7. "Everybody Has the Blues" 2:33
8. "Steamroller Blues" 5:30
9. "Mexico" 3:32
10. "Millworker" 4:25
11. "Country Road" 5:44
12. "Fire and Rain" 4:44
13. "Shower the People" 4:43
14. "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You)" (Holland, Dozier, Holland) 7:29
15. "New Hymn" (Reynolds Price, J. Taylor) 3:00

Disc two
No. Title Length
1. "Walking Man" 4:35
2. "Riding on a Railroad" 2:41
3. "Something in the Way She Moves" 3:59
4. "Sun on the Moon" 3:54
5. "Up on the Roof" (Gerry Goffin, Carole King) 4:10
6. "Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight" 3:37
7. "She Thinks I Still Care" (Dickey Lee) 3:28
8. "Copperline" (R. Price, J. Taylor) 4:43
9. "Slap Leather" 2:11
10. "Only One" 4:41
11. "You Make It Easy" 5:05
12. "Carolina in My Mind" 5:04
13. "I Will Follow" 4:14
14. "You've Got a Friend" (Carole King) 5:09
15. "That Lonesome Road" (Don Grolnick, J. Taylor) 2:46

EricClaptonECWasHere.jpg

E.C. Was Here

Eric Clapton

1975 RSO Records

Eric Clapton, December 3, 2007
By bepd527 "Bruce" (Seattle , Wa) - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Ec Was Here (Audio CD)

I'm 55 yrs young and have enjoyed his music since I can remember. I purchased this LP when it was released and still do not regret it. What a talent and songwriter. Does anyone remember the Yardbirds and so forth ? It is a must for any blues fan ? of course it is . Just sit down , shut up and listen .

1. "Have You Ever Loved a Woman" (Billy Myles) – 7:49
2. "Presence of the Lord" (Clapton) – 6:40
3. "Driftin' Blues" (Johnny Moore, Charles Brown, Eddie Williams) – 11:30
4. "Can't Find My Way Home" (Steve Winwood) – 5:18
5. "Ramblin' on My Mind" (Robert Johnson) – 7:38
6. "Further on Up the Road" (Joe Medwick, Don Robey) – 7:30

CSNYDejaVu.jpg

Deja Vu

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

1970 Atlantic Records

Less than a year after the release of CSN's groundbreaking debut, the group returned with Stephen Stills's former Buffalo Springfield cohort/rival Neil Young augmenting the threesome. The result is a less concentrated but more kinetic creation; Young swims through the celestial harmonies of rock's best barbershop trio like a fly in consommé. While somewhat dated ("Almost Cut My Hair"? Wait a while, David, it'll fall out), Deju Vu is teeming with early '70s FM staples, including "Helpless," "Teach Your Children," and "Our House." --Steven Stolder

Side one

"Carry On" (Stephen Stills) – 4:26
Stills - guitars, organ, bass, lead vocal; David Crosby - guitar, vocal; Graham Nash - guitar, vocal; Dallas Taylor - drums, percussion
"Teach Your Children" (Nash) – 2:53
Nash - guitar, lead vocal; Stills - guitar, bass, vocal; Crosby - vocal; Jerry Garcia - pedal steel guitar; Taylor - tambourine
"Almost Cut My Hair" (Crosby) – 4:31
Crosby - electric guitar, vocal; Stills - electric guitar; Nash - organ; Neil Young - electric guitar; Greg Reeves - bass; Taylor - drums
"Helpless" (Young) – 3:33
Young - guitar, harmonica, lead vocal; Stills - electric guitar, piano, vocal; Nash - guitar, vocal; Crosby - vocal; Reeves - bass; Taylor - drums
"Woodstock" (Joni Mitchell) – 3:54
Stills - electric guitar, organ, lead vocal; Nash - electric guitar, vocal; Crosby - vocal; Young - electric guitar; Reeves - bass; Taylor - drums

Side two

"Déjà Vu" (Crosby) – 4:12
Crosby - guitar, lead vocal; Stills - electric guitar, vocal; Nash - guitar, piano, vocal; John Sebastian - harmonica; Reeves - bass; Taylor - drums
"Our House" (Nash) – 2:59
Nash - piano, harpsichord, lead vocal; Stills - bass, vocal; Crosby - vocal; Taylor - drums
"4 + 20" (Stills) – 2:04
Stills - guitar, vocal
"Country Girl" ("Whiskey Boot Hill," "Down, Down, Down," "Country Girl (I Think You're Pretty)") (Young) – 5:11
Young - guitar, organ, harmonica, lead vocal; Stills - guitar, vocal; Crosby - guitar, vocal; Nash - guitar, vocal; Reeves - bass; Taylor - drums
"Everybody I Love You" (Stills, Young) – 2:21
Stills - electric guitar, organ, vocal; Crosby - electric guitar, vocal; Nash - vocal; Young - electric guitar; Reeves - bass; Taylor - drums

Dennie said:
Does anyone remember the Yardbirds and so forth ?
Um, I think so, didn't they have Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Rod Stewart as members? :bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue:
Interesting Trivia: Their other lead vocalist, Keith Relf (sp?), was electrocuted via some badly-grounded headphones! :scared-eek:

Yesfan70 said:
51W7GC4PR2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Probably better than the other best of Sammy albums. I also have Unboxed but I like this one better than it.

Paul, I have Unboxed, and a few of his concerts............READ HIS BOOK, IT SI AWESOME!

I love SAMMY!!!

Vai-WildThings.jpg

Great DVD Concert!

:banana-rock: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :angelic-green: :bow-blue: :banana-rock:

4b0953a09da06bba8a4c5110.L.jpg

Dusty In Memphis -- Deluxe Edition CD

Dusty Springfield

1969/1999 Rhino Records

Dusty Springfield never claimed to be a soul singer, but Dusty in Memphis effects a unique and deeply moving synthesis of her brand of stylish pop and the Southern R&B of the late '60s. Her soft tones and hushed, confessional readings make for definitive versions of everything from "Son of a Preacher Man" (a later version by Aretha Franklin is good but less thrillingly sensual than this one) to Randy Newman's ballads "I Don't Want to Hear It Anymore" and "Just One Smile" to a swirling take on "The Windmills of Your Mind." The soul obscurity "Breakfast in Bed" even gives a knowing spin to a line from an earlier Springfield classic: "You don't have to say you love me." This expanded edition features vastly improved sound and a number of bonus tracks not on the earlier CD. --Rickey Wright

Side A

"Just a Little Lovin'" (Barry Mann, Cynthia Weil) – 2:18
"So Much Love" (Gerry Goffin, Carole King) – 3:31
"Son of a Preacher Man" (John Hurley, Ronnie Wilkins) – 2:29
"I Don't Want to Hear It Anymore" (Randy Newman) – 3:11
"Don't Forget About Me" (Goffin, King) – 2:52
"Breakfast in Bed" (Eddie Hinton, Donnie Fritts) – 2:57

Side B

"Just One Smile" (Randy Newman) – 2:42
"The Windmills of Your Mind" (Alan Bergman, Marilyn Bergman, Michel Legrand) – 3:51
"In the Land of Make Believe" (Burt Bacharach, Hal David) – 2:32
"No Easy Way Down" (Goffin, King) – 3:11
"I Can't Make It Alone" (Goffin, King) – 3:57

Bonus tracks 1999 Deluxe Edition, Rhino Records US

"What Do You Do When Love Dies" (with orchestral overdubs) (Mary Unobsky, Donna Weiss) – 2:42
"Willie & Laura Mae Jones" (Tony Joe White) – 2:49
"That Old Sweet Roll (Hi-De-Ho)" (Gerry Goffin, Carole King) – 2:59
"Cherished" (Kenny Gamble, Leon Huff) – 2:38
"Goodbye" (Roland Chambers, Leonard Pakula) – 2:33
First UK release: compilation Classics And Collectables, 2007
"Make It With You" (David Gates) – 3:12
First UK release: 4 CD boxed set Simply Dusty, 2000
"Love Shine Down" (not credited) – 2:22
"Live Here With You" (Gilbert Slavin, Michael F. Soles) – 2:44
"Natchez Trace" (Neil Brian Goldberg, Gilbert Slavin) – 2:58
"All the King's Horses" (not credited) – 3:10
"I'll Be Faithful" (Stereo) (Ned W. Albright, Michael F. Soles, Steven Soles) – 3:01
First release (mono): Rhino's 1992 re-issue of A Brand New Me. First UK release: compilation Classics And Collectables, 2007
"Have a Good Life Baby" (not credited) – 3:09
First UK release: 2002 re-issue of See All Her Faces
"You've Got a Friend" (Carole King) – 5:28
"I Found My Way" a.k.a. "I Found My Way Through The Darkness" (Gilbert Slavin, Michael F. Soles) – 3:12

Back