• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Rope you are all over the KEM questions and great job! :text-goodpost:

I agree I like the Album 1 but Album to is better to me, Album III I'm still getting into and it is not hard so far. :music-listening:

41xoeoBx0cL._SS500_.jpg

With this one, I now have all four of his albums. He's a great songwriter, and each one of his albums is different, has its own unique "feel". For example, this one has a lot of string instruments (violas, cellos, basses), fitting in with the somewhat smoother more mellow feel of this album compared to the others. Whereas the previous one I talked about (God Willing & Creek Don't Rise) is more of a country/bluegrass sort of ensemble. But Ray's unique voice and song style is still apparent in each album.

jebbishoptrio.jpg

I posted about this band in the "What have you heard live recently?" thread. Listening to the CD today has confirmed for me that this is a great trio. It's trombone, bass and drums. On drums is one of my favorites, Frank Rosaly.

This is good stuff. And, I promise, it's not too weird. CD Baby has some snippets for you to test drive. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/JebBishopTrio

Here's a review of the album by a fellow Lexintonian, Walter Tunis:
http://musicalbox.bloginky.com/2010/09/14/jeb-bishop-circa-2009/

701771a88da0733062f8d110.L.jpg

So Near, So Far (Musings For Miles) -- CD

Joe Henderson

1993 Polygram Records

Amazon.com

One of the most effective tributes ever recorded, this session matches Joe Henderson's tenor with three brilliant former Miles Davis sidemen--guitarist John Scofield, bassist Dave Holland, and drummer Al Foster. While these musicians were associated with Davis during his later electronic years, the session's inspiration is clearly from the trumpeter's great acoustic career. It includes little-heard pieces like "Swing Spring," from 1954, and "Circle," from 1966, as well as masterworks such as "Miles Ahead", "Milestones," and "Flamenco Sketches" from the intervening classic period. Heard at his best here, Henderson is a stunning improviser, combining a relaxed, almost offhand flow with frequently surprising melodic and rhythmic turns, developing an intriguing multidirectionality in his solos. While Davis has been one of the most imitated of musicians, there's nothing derivative about this tribute, which garnered 1993 Grammy Awards as both Best Jazz Instrumental (individual or group) and Best Jazz Solo (instrumental) for Henderson's serene work on "Miles Ahead." The CD is unquestionably a group accomplishment, though, with intense yet restrained work from Scofield (his comping here sometimes suggests the master, Jim Hall) and bristling interplay in the rhythm section. --Stuart Broomer

Track listing

1. Miles Ahead
2. Joshua
3. Pfrancing (No Blues)
4. Flamenco Sketches
5. Milestones
6. Teo
7. Swing Spring
8. Circle
9. Side Car
10. So Near, So Far

From the Gaucho post:

But that prosperity came bundled with a fateful triple-whammy for rock's dyspeptic duo: unrealistic commercial expectations, a critical backlash spawned by punk's nascent mewling,

:roll: Try saying that with a mouthful of crackers!

51S%2BEGXAtdL.jpg

I Can See Your House From Here -- CD

John Scofield & Pat Metheny

1994 Blue Note Records

What a Duo, January 7, 2002
By Russell Diederich (Littleton, CO United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: I Can See Your House From Here (Audio CD)
What happens when you put two great jazz guitarists in the same recording studio? You get "I Can See Your House From Here". Pat Metheny and John Scofield are different enough guitarists that it really adds to the excitement of this album. Rarely, will you see two masters of the guitar appear like this without trying to upstage each other. All eleven tunes on this album are originals, each writing about half the material.

This album is load with lots of great licks, and music. The title track has a good theme to it, which each guitarist takes turns exploring. It nearly crosses the line into free-jazz, and sounds a little spacey. With "The Red One" they duo is grounded with both feet firmly on the earth. Scofield steps out first to explore his vision of the song. At the halfway mark, Metheny turns on his synth and sounds like a trumpet taking the solo. The solos go back and forth for the whole album, and the guitar work is incredible. Other notables on this album are "One Way to Be", "No Matter What" and Message to My Friend".

This isn't just an album of guitar. Steve Swallow and Bill Stewart join up with bass and drums respectively. Both are fine musician's and are able to provide the beat that the duo play off of. Stewart delivers an excellent drum solo on "Everybody's Party", that will have you banging the desktop or steering wheel like it was your own little drum kit.

If you're a fan of either Scofield or Metheny, this is quite an album to have, and I highly recommend it.

1. I Can See Your House From Here - Scofield
2. The Red One - Metheny
3. No Matter What - Scofield
4. Everybody's Party - Scofield
5. Message To My Friend - Metheny
6. No Way Jose - Scofield
7. Say The Brother's Name - Metheny
8. S.C.O. - Metheny
9. Quiet Rising - Metheny
10. One Way To Be - Scofield
11. You Speak My Language - Scofield

61-eFBPyOpL._SS400_.jpg

What We Do -- CD

John Scofield Quartet

1993 Blue Note Records
Be-Bop, Oh Yeah!, February 22, 2008
By L. Tucker (NY) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: What We Do (Audio CD)

My first introduction to the man Scofield. Very well done, while yet very accessible (something I usually don't find in this genre of music).

Strong outing on all fronts (performance, recording, composition), it's all good here. Do yourself a favor and get this CD while you still can!

1. Little Walk
2. Camp Out
3. Big Sky
4. Easy For You
5. Call 911
6. Imaginary Time
7. Say The Word
8. Why Nogales?
9. What They Did

71bnEmGM8RL.jpg

Greatest Hits -- CD

Waylon Jennings

1990 RCA Records

Amazon.com

These cuts capture Waylon Jennings in the first flush of his status as a country music superstar, after he gained control of his music in the early '70s. When he began to produce or coproduce his own records, it should be stressed, his music didn't change much--his "Good Hearted Woman" from 1972 (to cite the only pre-Outlaw cut here) is of a piece with later hits like "Honky Tonk Heroes" and "Luckenbach, Texas," from their ramblin'-man themes to Waylon's booming baritone and his music's burping bass lines. What was different was the rock-influenced Outlaw ad copy pushing his career, a rebellious new image he cultivated in country chart-toppers like "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way" and "Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys," a duet with Willie Nelson. That new frame made all the difference. Jennings had always been great but now, on eight of the nine tracks here, his singles went all the way to the top of the charts. --David Cantwell

1. Lonesome, On'ry and Mean - Waylon Jennings, Young, Steve
2. I've Always Been Crazy - Waylon Jennings, Jennings, Waylon
3. Honky Tonk Heroes - Waylon Jennings, Shaver, Billy Joe
4. Luckenbach, Texas (Back to the Basics of Love) - Waylon Jennings, Emmons, Bobby
5. I'm a Ramblin' Man - Waylon Jennings, Pennington, Ray
6. Amanda - Waylon Jennings, McDill, Bob
7. Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow up to Be Cowboys - Waylon Jennings, Bruce, Ed
8. A Good Hearted Woman [Version] - Waylon Jennings, Jennings, Waylon
9. Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way - Waylon Jennings, Jennings, Waylon

61KqKBU8uoL.jpg

Neck and Neck -- CD

Chet Atkins - Mark Knopfler

1990 Columbia Records

Amazon.com
Two generations of guitarists merge on this cleverly-titled album, with former Dire Straits virtuoso Mark Knopfler taking time off from scoring movies to join Chet Atkins, one of the fathers of electric guitar pickin'. And there's some mighty fine country pickin' on display here, with the duo joined by some of Nashville's all-time finest players, including the late, great Floyd Cramer, Mark O'Connor, Larry Londin, Vince Gill, and Steve Wariner. The material ranges from choice country covers (Doc Watson's "Poor Boy Blues," Patsy Cline's "Sweet Dreams") to rock 'n' roll ("Yakety Ax," a take on Boots Randolph's "Yakety Sax"), jazz (Django Reinhardt's "Tears"), a Knopfler original, and even the old standard "I'll See You in My Dreams." It sounds like they had fun, too! --Bill Holdship

5ec792c008a0032083c4c010.L.jpg

My Favorite Willie Nelson album!

This is the album that turned me on to the " The Great American Songbook" and led me to many, many other artists. :handgestures-thumbup:

album-stardust.jpg

Stardust -- Legacy Edition 2 CD Set :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :eusa-clap:

Willie Nelson

1978/2008 Sony Legacy
Amazon.com essential recording

Willie Nelson has never been one to do the safe or expected, and this Booker T. Jones-produced album of pop standards from the '30s and '40s certainly fits the profile. It's also one of the better albums of Nelson's career, allowing Willie to dip his fragile, quivering tenor all around the beat in songs like "All of Me" and "Unchained Melody." Jones's organ, piano, and string arrangements are low-key and swinging (except on the almost wooden "On the Sunny Side of the Street"), and Nelson's vocals on "Georgia on My Mind" and "Moonlight in Vermont" are filled with a dignified and slightly jazzy country soul. Two CD set/Digipak includes the original classic album plus a 16 track bonus disc highlighting his further excursions into the Great American Songbook.

img_1_pr.jpg

g1-12-album-neilyoung-harvest.jpg

Harvest -- CD

Neil Young

1972/1990 Reprise Records

Proclaiming his intentions with "Are You Ready for the Country?" Young detoured briefly to the Nashville mainstream. On this No. 1 1972 album, even the singer's acquired-taste voice comes across smooth and beautiful--the smash "Heart of Gold," with steel guitars and Linda Ronstadt's backup vocals, is by far Young's most commercial-sounding song. His usual dissonant touches, like the otherworldly guitar in "Out on the Weekend," are less spooky in this new context. The last two tracks, the deceptively gentle "The Needle and the Damage Done" and the hypnotic rocker "Words (Between the Lines of Age)," predict "Tonight's the Night," Young's haunted 1975 classic. --Steve Knopper

Side one

1. "Out on the Weekend" – 4:34
* Neil Young - guitar, harmonica, vocal; Ben Keith - pedal steel guitar; Tim Drummond - bass; Kenny Buttrey - drums
2. "Harvest" – 3:11
* Young - guitar, vocal; Keith - pedal steel guitar; John Harris - piano; Drummond - bass; Buttrey - drums
3. "A Man Needs a Maid" – 4:05
* Young - piano, vocal; with the London Symphony Orchestra
4. "Heart of Gold" – 3:07
* Young - guitar, harmonica, vocal; Teddy Irwin - guitar; Keith - pedal steel guitar; Drummond - bass; Buttrey - drums; Linda Ronstadt, James Taylor - backing vocals
5. "Are You Ready for the Country?" – 3:23
* Young - piano, vocal; Keith - pedal steel guitar; Jack Nitzsche - lap steel guitar; Drummond - bass; Buttrey - drums; David Crosby, Graham Nash - backing vocals

Side two

1. "Old Man" – 3:24
* Young - guitar, vocal; Keith - pedal steel guitar; Taylor - banjo guitar, backing vocal; James McMahon - piano; Drummond - bass; Buttrey - drums; Ronstadt - backing vocal
2. "There's a World" – 2:59
* Young - piano, vocal; with the London Symphony Orchestra
3. "Alabama" – 4:02
* Young - electric guitar, vocal; Keith - pedal steel guitar; Nitzsche - piano; Drummond - bass; Buttrey - drums; Crosby, Stephen Stills - backing vocals
4. "The Needle and the Damage Done" – 2:03 (recorded in concert January 30, 1971)
* Young - guitar, vocal
5. "Words (Between the Lines of Age)" – 6:40
* Young - electric guitar, vocal; Keith - pedal steel guitar; Nitzsche - piano; Drummond - bass; Buttrey - drums; Stills, Nash - backing vocals

Just finished BB King Live at the Regal - thanks Dennie!

Now on to this one:

61vvUzt4EwL._SS400_.jpg

9764729fd7a0f970d3b60110.L.jpg

Rumors -- CD

Fleetwood Mac

1977/1990 Warner Bros. Records

With the pop sense of Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks now leading the band, Fleetwood Mac moved completely away from blues and created this homage to love, Southern California-style. Each songwriter makes his or her presence known: Nicks for her dreamy, mystical reveries ("Dreams," "Gold Dust Woman:); Christine McVie for her ultra-catchy slogans ("Don't Stop"); and Buckingham for his deceptively simple pop songs ("Second Hand News," "Go Your Own Way"). "The Chain," written collectively, is the Mac at their most dramatic. But it's the ensemble playing, the elastic rhythms, and lush harmonies that transform the material into classic FM fare. --Rob O'Connor
Side one
No. Title Writer(s) Length
1. "Second Hand News" Buckingham 2:43
2. "Dreams" Nicks 4:14
3. "Never Going Back Again" Buckingham 2:02
4. "Don't Stop" C. McVie 3:11
5. "Go Your Own Way" Buckingham 3:38
6. "Songbird" C. McVie 3:20
Side two
No. Title Writer(s) Length
7. "The Chain" Buckingham, Fleetwood, C. McVie, J. McVie, Nicks 4:28
8. "You Make Loving Fun" C. McVie 3:31
9. "I Don't Want to Know" Nicks 3:11
10. "Oh Daddy" C. McVie 3:54
11. "Gold Dust Woman" Nicks 4:51

PaulyT said:
Just finished BB King Live at the Regal - thanks Dennie!

Now on to this one:

61vvUzt4EwL._SS400_.jpg

Hey Pauly, You're Welcome!
You just can't go wrong listening to the "King" and "Live at the Regal" is BB at his best! :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

Dennie said:
Acoustic Blues........Priceless! :music-listening:

481801.jpg

Listening to this one now, and I like it a lot! Very catchy, he has a really nice style. And good recording quality for live, too.

SecondHelpingLynyrdSkynyrd.jpg

Second Helping -- CD

Lynyrd Skynyrd

1990 MCA Records

With staples such as "Sweet Home Alabama," "Workin' for MCA," and the J.J. Cale-penned "Call Me the Breeze," Skynyrd's second captures the Jacksonville, Florida, band at the height of its powers, coming off the success of "Free Bird" and "Gimme Three Steps" from their 1973 debut. Backed by a tight rhythm section and the mighty three-guitar attack of Allen Collins, Ed King, and Gary Rossington, singer Ronnie Van Zant (credited in the album notes for "Vocals, J&B") turns in a legendary performance on the urgent blues ballad "I Need You," the cautionary "The Needle and the Spoon," and "The Ballad of Curtis Loew," the story of a young white boy sitting at the feet of an old black Dobro master. Along with Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd and One More from the Road, Second Helping remains Skynyrd's finest hour. --James Rotondi

Side one

1. "Sweet Home Alabama" (Ed King, Gary Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant) – 4:43
2. "I Need You" (Ed King, Gary Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant) – 6:55
3. "Don't Ask Me No Questions" (Gary Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant) – 3:26
4. "Workin' for MCA" (Ed King, Ronnie Van Zant) – 4:49

Side two

1. "The Ballad of Curtis Loew" (Allen Collins, Ronnie Van Zant) – 4:51
2. "Swamp Music" (Ed King, Ronnie Van Zant) – 3:31
3. "The Needle and the Spoon" (Allen Collins, Ronnie Van Zant) – 3:53
4. "Call Me the Breeze" (J. J. Cale) – 5:09

PaulyT said:
Acoustic Blues........Priceless! :music-listening:

481801.jpg

Listening to this one now, and I like it a lot! Very catchy, he has a really nice style. And good recording quality for live, too.

That is a great album....and he was married to Maria! :text-bravo:

p03089n40g0.jpg

mariamauldor.jpg

Dennie

Dennie said:
SecondHelpingLynyrdSkynyrd.jpg

Second Helping -- CD

Lynyrd Skynyrd

1990 MCA Records

With staples such as "Sweet Home Alabama," "Workin' for MCA," and the J.J. Cale-penned "Call Me the Breeze," Skynyrd's second captures the Jacksonville, Florida, band at the height of its powers, coming off the success of "Free Bird" and "Gimme Three Steps" from their 1973 debut. Backed by a tight rhythm section and the mighty three-guitar attack of Allen Collins, Ed King, and Gary Rossington, singer Ronnie Van Zant (credited in the album notes for "Vocals, J&B") turns in a legendary performance on the urgent blues ballad "I Need You," the cautionary "The Needle and the Spoon," and "The Ballad of Curtis Loew," the story of a young white boy sitting at the feet of an old black Dobro master. Along with Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd and One More from the Road, Second Helping remains Skynyrd's finest hour. --James Rotondi

Side one

1. "Sweet Home Alabama" (Ed King, Gary Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant) – 4:43
2. "I Need You" (Ed King, Gary Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant) – 6:55
3. "Don't Ask Me No Questions" (Gary Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant) – 3:26
4. "Workin' for MCA" (Ed King, Ronnie Van Zant) – 4:49

Side two

1. "The Ballad of Curtis Loew" (Allen Collins, Ronnie Van Zant) – 4:51
2. "Swamp Music" (Ed King, Ronnie Van Zant) – 3:31
3. "The Needle and the Spoon" (Allen Collins, Ronnie Van Zant) – 3:53
4. "Call Me the Breeze" (J. J. Cale) – 5:09

Dedicated to the man from where the name of the group came...

Forby Leonard Skinner (January 11, 1933 – September 20, 2010) who passed away yesterday...

Back