• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

418EJNWC4RL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Help! Help! is an amazing song on this very under rated album.

516JQcVJ4OL._SS500_.jpg

Smokin' At The Half Note -- CD

Wes Montgomery With The Wynton Kelly Trio

1965/1989 Verve Records

Amazon.com

Wes Montgomery brought the art of the electric guitar to new heights in the 1950s and 1960s before his untimely death at 43. His vaulting style employed octaves much as his main influence, Charlie Christian, did in the Benny Goodman Sextet. Montgomery's crowd-pleasing facility with the fretboard was best employed in live performance when he could stretch out and really be heard. Smokin' is a thoroughly satisfying live album recorded in 1965 and 1966 at the New York nightclub, with co-leader Wynton Kelly and his trio--Kelly on piano, Paul Chambers on bass, and Jimmy Cobb on drums. Montgomery and Kelly are in perfect sync here, especially on "No Blues" and "If You Could See Me Now." --John Swenson
(The original LP)

"No Blues" (Miles Davis) – 13:00
"If You Could See Me Now" (Tadd Dameron, Carl Sigman) – 6:45
"Unit 7" (Sam Jones) – 7:30
"Four on Six" (Wes Montgomery) – 6:45
"What's New?" (Bob Haggart, Johnny Burke) – 6:00

boss_guitar_CD_large.jpg

Boss Guitar -- CD

Wes Montgomery

1963/1989 Riverside/OJC Records

Editorial Reviews

Wes Montgomery began his incredible series of recordings for Riverside in the organ trio context that he employed on gigs in his native Indianapolis. After a series of acclaimed albums featuring pianists, Montgomery ended his Riverside run by reuniting with Hammond B-3 master Melvin Rhyne on several sessions. The first, Boss Guitar, featured Jimmy Cobb on drums, and the Miles Davis veteran (and future Montgomery working partner) inspired the guitarist and organist to their greatest recorded work together. Highlights include a cooking 6/8 version of "Besame Mucho," the funky Montgomery blues "Fried Pies," and Montgomery's dazzling showpiece "The Trick Bag," (each heard in both master and alternate takes).

"Besame Mucho" (Consuelo Velázquez, Sunny Skylar) – 6:28
"Besame Mucho" [Alternate take] (Velazquez, Skylar) – 6:24
"Dearly Beloved" (Jerome Kern, Johnny Mercer) – 4:49
"Days of Wine and Roses" (Henry Mancini, Johnny Mercer) – 3:44
"The Trick Bag" (Wes Montgomery) – 4:25
"Canadian Sunset" (Eddie Heywood, Norman Gimbel) – 5:04
"Fried Pies" (Montgomery) – 6:42
"Fried Pies" Alternate take (Montgomery) – 6:35
"The Breeze and I" (Ernesto Lecuona, Al Stillman) – 4:08
"For Heaven's Sake" (Elise Bretton, Sherman Edwards, Donald Meyer) – 4:39

Wes Montgomery – guitar
Melvin Rhyne – organ
Jimmy Cobb – drums

PaulyT said:
Dennie said:

:text-bravo: :text-bravo: :text-bravo:

Awesome album.

Yes it is! Wes is amazing guitarist and put him with Wynton's Trio.....Forgetaboutit!!!! :text-bravo:

("Boss Guitar" is also one of my favorites! :eusa-clap: )

Dennie :music-guitarred:

3b97228348a0097c9fc8f010.L.jpg

Midnight Blue -- RVG Edition 24bit CD

Kenny Burrell

1963/1999 Blue Note Records

Amazon.com

Kenny Burrell's music is a wonderful blend of elegance and conviction, musical inventiveness and thoughtful restraint. On this 1967 session, the guitarist is joined by regular associates--tenorist Stanley Turrentine, conga drummer Ray Barretto, bassist Major Holley, and drummer Bill English--and together they concentrate on the subtlest and deepest hues of the blues, combining strong rhythmic grooves with a feeling of late-night reflection. There's never a misstep or a superfluous note, from the funky Latin hit "Chitlins Con Carne" to Burrell's deeply felt solo "Soul Lament" and the concentrated swing of "Gee, Baby, Ain't I Good to You." The result is a masterpiece, and the 24-bit remastering by the original engineer, Rudy Van Gelder, adds to the spaciousness and intimacy that have always been hallmarks of the session. --Stuart Broomer

Except where otherwise noted, all songs composed by Kenny Burrell.

"Chitlins con Carne" – 5:30
"Mule" (Burrell, Major Holley, Jr.) – 6:56
"Soul Lament" – 2:43
"Midnight Blue" – 4:02
"Wavy Gravy" – 5:47
"Gee Baby, Ain't I Good to You" (Andy Razaf, Don Redman) – 4:25
"Saturday Night Blues" – 6:16
"Kenny's Sound" (reissue bonus track) – 4:43
"K Twist" (reissue bonus track)– 3:36

Kenny Burrell – guitar
Stanley Turrentine – tenor saxophone
Major Holley – bass
Billy Gene English – drums
Ray Barretto – conga

Look AWAY PAULY, Look away...... :angry-tappingfoot:

41QFAVEVTZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

At The Blue Note-Saturday June 4th, 1994 1st Set --CD

Keith Jarrett - Gary Peacock - Jack DeJohnette

1995 ECM Records

I can't believe only two of us reviewed this - its brilliant, July 21, 1999
By Oren Peleg (London, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keith Jarrett At The Blue Note: Saturday, June 4, 1994 (First Set) (Audio CD)

This is the greatest jazz trio, and one of their greatest recordings. I actually rarely get past Autumn Leaves. At around 12.30 minutes into the piece the three of them break into one of the greatest trio jams ever recorded. Its hypnotic. I have broken many a drum stick trying to keep up with Jack Dejonette. Peacock is impecably timed. Jarret is a genius and his capabilities range wide and far. For those starting on Jarret, this is the best introduction to his trio material.

1. Autumn Leaves
2. Days Of Wine And Roses
3. Bop-Be
4. You Don't Know What Love Is/Muezzin
5. When I Fall In Love

You get your "Money's Worth" with this one.... Total Time 70:45
emotion-4.gif

Damn-it Pauly.......You weren't supposed to look!! :doh:

My last one for the evening...

f21d793509a0f3c04e113110.L.jpg

Kamakiriad -- CD

Donald Fagen

1993 Reprise Records

Kilgore Trout meets Steely Dan! A masterwork, September 8, 1998
By rash67 (USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kamakiriad (Audio CD)

"Kamakiri", I have been told, means "Beatle" in Japanese. The "-ad" suffix as in Odyssiad, so it's journey of the beatle. The car is "not a freeway bullet or a bug with monster wheels, just a total bio-sphere." The logical extension of "Aja", "Gaucho" and other late Steely Dan. Exquisitely well thought out, cerebral, yet funky. The story of the journey of an improbable solar powered car with a vegetable garden inside! Full of clever Fagan lyrics. Rock, jazz, R&B, New age influences, impossible to classify.

A great stereo test record, spectacular recording quality!

Standout song is "Tomorrows Girls", a cautionary tale diseased about beautiful Party Girls from outer space who come to earth for a good time with Earth Guys. "A virus wearing pumps and pearls".

Listen for the fireworks when "some loser fires off a flare". Kamakiriad is chock full of lyrical, tongue-in-cheek songs, not a bad cut on the album.

Gentle non-abrasive music. A masterwork! The only thing wrong with this album is the length of time it took Donald Fagen to do it. Let's hope he does another album soon!

Kilgore Trout meets Steely Dan!

"Trans-Island Skyway" (Fagen) – 6:30
"Countermoon" (Fagen) – 5:05
"Springtime" (Fagen) – 5:06
"Snowbound" (Walter Becker, Fagen) – 7:08
"Tomorrow's Girls" (Fagen) – 6:17
"Florida Room" (Fagen, Libby Titus) – 6:02
"On the Dunes" (Fagen) – 8:07
"Teahouse on the Tracks" (Fagen) – 6:09

c5a881b0c8a0323bbf3c9110.L.jpg

Running On Empty -- CD

Jackson Browne

1977/1990 Asylum/Elektra Records

Amazon.com

Recorded onstage, backstage, in three different hotel rooms, and on a Continental Silver Eagle tour bus during a cross-country 1977 tour, Running on Empty is a paean to life on the road. Jackson Browne's sense of camaraderie extended to the road crew, if "The Load Out," a love song to his roadies, is to be believed. Browne is much more blithe here than in his earlier outings. But Empty also represents a fleeting lighthearted moment for the singer-cum-poet whose concerns became more political than personal after its appearance. Beneath its flippant surface, this disc is a look at the lengths Browne and his friends went to avoid facing the demands of the touring life. What with the frequent drug references, misogynistic references to on-the-fly pairings with women, and the sobering line in the title track--"I look around for the friends I used to pull me through / Looking into their eyes, I see them running, too"--one realizes that Browne was much more comfortable on the road than off. --Jaan Uhelszki

"Running on Empty" (Browne) – 5:20
Recorded live (8/27/77), Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD
"The Road" (Danny O'Keefe) – 4:50
Recorded in room 301 (8/27/77), Cross Keys Inn, Baltimore, MD (first — 2:58) and live (9/7/77), Garden State Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ
"Rosie" (Browne, Donald Miller) – 3:37
Recorded backstage (9/1/77) "in the big rehearsal room," Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY
Doug Haywood and tour photographer Joel Bernstein sing harmony.
"You Love the Thunder" (Browne) – 3:52
Recorded live (9/6/77), Holmdel, NJ
"Cocaine" (Browne, Reverend Gary Davis, Glenn Frey) – 4:55
Recorded in room 124 (8/17/77), Holiday Inn, Edwardsville, IL
"Shaky Town" (Danny Kortchmar) – 3:36
Recorded in room 124 (8/18/77), Holiday Inn, Edwardsville, IL
Danny Kortchmar sings harmony.
"Love Needs a Heart" (Browne, Valerie Carter, Lowell George) – 3:28
Recorded live (9/17/77), Universal City, CA
"Nothing but Time" (Browne, Howard Burke) – 3:05
Recorded "on a bus (a Continental Silver Eagle) somewhere in New Jersey" (9/8/77)
Russ Kunkel is credited as playing "snare, hi-hat, and cardboard box with foot pedal." The song was recorded aboard the band's Continental Silver Eagle tour bus (hence the lyrical reference to "Silver Eagle") while en route from Portland, Maine to their next gig in New Jersey. The bus's engine is audible in the background throughout, and its downshift and acceleration can be plainly heard during the bridge.
"The Load-Out" (Browne, Bryan Garofalo) – 5:38
"Stay" (Maurice Williams) – 3:28

51FFPHS4FCL._SS500_.jpg

The Monster Is Loose - Bat Out Of Hell III -- Special Edition CD/DVD

Meatloaf

2006 Virgin Records U.S.

Amazing..begining to end..worth to be included in the Bat series., December 22, 2007
By Jonathan Davis - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bat Out of Hell 3 (W/Dvd) (Spec) (Dig) (Audio CD)

I don't even know where to start. I'm a HUGE Meat Loaf fan, and personally never been disappointed in any album hes done. Nothing more needs to be said about how awesome Bat 1 and 2 were or even how awesome other songs like "Couldn't have said it better","I'd lie for you..","Not a Dry eye in the hosue" are (the list goes on and on). Bat out of Hell 3 is just flat out amazing from "the Monsters loose" to "Seize the Night". It also finally brings along the definitive version of "It's all coming back to me" which is a great great ballad. The true gem of this album is Blind as a Bat, which for me ranks right up there with "I'll do anything for love".

Anyone who doesn't think this is a great album or a sub par bat out of hell album is either delusional or doesn't appreciate just how great Meat Loaf is.

1. "The Monster Is Loose" John 5/Desmond Child/Nikki Sixx 7:12
2. "Blind as a Bat" Child/James Michael 5:51
3. "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" (Duet with Marion Raven) Jim Steinman 6:05
4. "Bad for Good" (Featuring Brian May) Steinman 7:33
5. "Cry Over Me" Diane Warren 4:40
6. "In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King" Steinman 5:38
7. "Monstro" Elena Casals/Child/Holly Knight 1:39
8. "Alive" Child/Knight/Michael/Andrea Remanda 4:22
9. "If God Could Talk" Child/Marti Frederiksen 3:46
10. "If It Ain't Broke, Break It" Steinman 4:50
11. "What About Love?" (Duet with Patti Russo) Child/Frederiksen/John Gregory[disambiguation needed]/Russ Irwin 6:03
12. "Seize the Night" Steinman 9:46
13. "The Future Ain't What it Used to Be" (Duet with Jennifer Hudson) Steinman 7:54
14. "Cry to Heaven" Steinman 2:22

Dennie said:
jamhead said:

Great to see you posting Jammy! :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

Thanks Dennie. I can't keep up with you, but with my recovery, I finally got to listen to a lot of music this past week.

Woo-hoo!

jamhead said:
Dennie said:
jamhead said:

Great to see you posting Jammy! :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

Thanks Dennie. I can't keep up with you, but with my recovery, I finally got to listen to a lot of music this past week.

Woo-hoo!

I am truly blessed to have the time that I do, to listen to music. :angelic-green:

Dennie

51KfRRM1CbL._SS500_.jpg

Missing... Presumed Having A Good Time -- CD

The Notting Hillbillies

1990 Warner Bros. Records

Why don't you have this cd?, August 20, 2001
By Mark D. Smith "mskarmar" (ocean view, de United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Missing Presumed Having Good Time (Audio CD)

Mark Knopfler's beautifully restrained guitar sketches send this traditionalist/blues/folk album over the top to a must have cd. This is a cd that you come back to and it stays in rotation for awhile, but each time you come back to it, you wonder why you haven't listened to it for some time. It is a beautiful Sunday morning,late night working background, candlelight dinner music (ie, anytime is the right time for Notting Hillbillies).Knopfler doesn't sing on every song, but his voice and guitar are what ties the traditional songs together to form a complete musical atmosphere. Go missing, and have a good time listening to this understated, smooth masterpiece.

"Railroad Worksong" – 5:29 (Traditional)
"Bewildered" – 2:37 (Whitcup, Powell)
"Your Own Sweet Way" – 4:32 (Mark Knopfler)
"Run Me Down" – 2:25 (Traditional)
"One Way Gal" – 3:10 (Traditional)
"Blues Stay Away from Me" – 3:50 (A. Delmore, R. Delmore, W. Raney, H. Glover)
"Will You Miss Me" – 3:52 (Steve Phillips)
"Please Baby" – 3:50 (Traditional)
"Weapon of Prayer" – 3:10 (I. & C. Louvin)
"That's Where I Belong" – 2:51 (Brendan Croker)
"Feel Like Going Home" – 4:52 (Charlie Rich)

51Q0u%2BGYDaL._SS500_.jpg

Good As I Been To You -- CD

Bob Dylan (Acoustic)

1992 Columbia Records

It takes a while...,
December 22, 2005
By J. McNew
This review is from: Acoustic-Good As I Been to You (Audio CD)

I grew up on Dylan... in fact, Dylan is my middle name. I was very intimate with his songs from a very early age. When I bought this album in the early '90s, I was still in high school. At first, I remember thinking that his voice was gone. I didn't think I could listen to the entire album. I struggled through it and put it on a shelf.

From time to time, I forced myself to listen to it. I don't know exactly when the change took place... I suppose I grew up a bit, musically. Good As I Been To You started to take shape. The guitar... the harp... the voice. All of a sudden, it meant something entirely different. It made sense. It all came together.

Now, fourteen years later, I listen to this album at least once a week. I will not hesitate to say that this is a great album. But, for some reason, it needs to grow on you. It builds up to some subtle crescendo. Then, suddenly, it will hit you like a ton of bricks. Dylan knew exactly what he was doing. This is his re-entry into greatness after a few years astray.

The guitar picking is incredible. His voice couldn't be more appropriate for the content. If you need more proof, just look at what the (rare) vinyl form of this album can fetch. I recently acquired the LP, and it is the most expensive one in my collection! Those 'in the know' really know what this album is worth.

Give it a try... then try it again. Let the guitar flow through you for a while. Sing along. Go ahead and try. It's not that easy. You'll soom see why this IS one of Dylan's greatest albums. I say that as a hard-core Dylan fan, so don't take it lightly.

All songs are Traditional, arranged by Bob Dylan, except where noted.

"Frankie & Albert" (Trad., arranged by Mississippi John Hurt) – 3:50
"Jim Jones" (Trad., arranged by Mick Slocum) – 3:52
"Blackjack Davey" – 5:47
"Canadee-i-o" – 4:20
"Sittin' on Top of the World" – 4:27
"Little Maggie" – 2:52
"Hard Times" (Stephen Foster, arranged by De Dannan)[2] – 4:31
"Step It Up and Go" – 2:54
"Tomorrow Night" (Sam Coslow & Will Grosz)[3] – 3:42
"Arthur McBride" (Trad., arranged by Paul Brady) – 6:20
"You're Gonna Quit Me" (Public Domain) – 2:46
"Diamond Joe" – 3:14
"Froggie Went A-Courtin'" – 6:26

I am kicking myself, over and over, for forgetting to bring this to the GTG; absolute KILLER:

LoveOverGold_300.jpg

71AU8v9SrSL.jpg

Turbulent Indigo -- CD

Joni Mitchell

1994 Reprise Records

Amazon.com

The 1996 Grammy winner for best pop album, Joni Mitchell's Turbulent Indigo is the singer's most distinctive and rewarding work since Wild Things Run Fast in 1982. Coproduced by Mitchell and her longtime collaborator and former husband Larry Klein, Turbulent Indigo is perhaps the only one of her '80s and '90s discs on which she isn't unduly hampered by studio technology. Whereas her rotten taste in synthesizers lent an automatically dated sound to 1988's Chalk Mark in a Rain Storm and 1998's Taming the Tiger, here the gadgetry is unobtrusive and enhances the power of Mitchell's voice and guitar playing. It also helps that this batch of songs is particularly evocative and well written, ranging from the graceful "How Do You Stop," on which she wonders how to stop "love from slipping away," to the wonderful vignette "Yvette in English," which describes a chance encounter between Picasso and a reluctant model. Paintings and painters are obviously a major theme on the disc--the cover is Mitchell's portrait of herself in the guise of Van Gogh--but more striking is her pessimistic view of humanity. "The Magdalene Laundries" describes the fate of girls left pregnant and abandoned in convent laundry rooms, "Not to Blame" details "the miseries made of love" for all the world's battered wives, and the title of "Sex Kills" is entirely self-explanatory. "The Sire of Sorrow (Job's Sad Song)," the album's finale, is nothing less than the cries of the much-put-upon Job against a heartless God who makes "everything I dread and everything I fear come true." The plaintive beauty of the music helps sweeten the potential sourness of Mitchell's lyrics. Indeed, the contrast gives great force to Turbulent Indigo and confirms that Mitchell's intellectual prowess and willfully contrary outlook are two qualities sorely missing in the work of many of the contemporary songwriters who cite her as their godhead. --Jason Anderson

All tracks composed by Joni Mitchell; except where indicated

"Sunny Sunday" – 2:21
"Sex Kills" – 3:56
"How Do You Stop" – 4:09 (Charlie Midnight, Dan Hartman)
"Turbulent Indigo" – 3:34
"Last Chance Lost" – 3:14
"The Magdalene Laundries" – 4:02
"Not to Blame" – 4:18
"Borderline" – 4:48
"Yvette in English" – 5:16 (Mitchell, David Crosby)
"The Sire of Sorrow (Job's Sad Song)" – 7:08

Botch said:
I am kicking myself, over and over, for forgetting to bring this to the GTG; absolute KILLER:

LoveOverGold_300.jpg

Well, get over here and I'll kick you too! :angry-tappingfoot:

Dennie :laughing-rolling:

7e99c060ada082ee34b6d110.L.jpg

New Beginning -- CD

Tracy Chapman

1995 Elektra Records

BRAVO, TRACY, BRAVO!!!, October 12, 2002
By Peter A. Batt "battman1@chollian.net" (South Korea- Camp Humphreys) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: New Beginning (Audio CD)

Every song on this CD cuts right to the soul. This is folk music tinged with blues and rock and soul...lyrics worth listening to. I only hope Ms. Chapman keeps putting her music out. I believe her negative reviews are coming from hiphopsters and rappers expecting somthing else. Tracy's music is folk. I dread the day where talented singer- songwriters are completely replaced by throwaway commercial [...] music. Make no mistake, each song on this CD is poetry, messages for the listener, pure art. I consider her right up there on the same level as Dylan. If your into quality listening...buy this one.

All songs written by Tracy Chapman

"Heaven's Here on Earth" – 5:23
"New Beginning" – 5:33
"Smoke and Ashes" – 6:39
"Cold Feet" – 5:40
"At This Point in My Life" – 5:09
"The Promise" – 5:28
"The Rape of the World" – 7:07
"Tell It Like It Is" – 6:08
"Give Me One Reason" – 4:31
"Remember the Tinman" – 5:45
"I'm Ready" – 4:56