• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

cce7810ae7a03e978625c110.L.jpg

More Best Of Leonard Cohen -- CD

Leonard Cohen

1997 Columbia Records

Such an experienced sounding growl, January 16, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: More Best of (Audio CD)

I bought this as my first Leonard Cohen after hearing Everybody Knows on a local station - I love every song on the CD, and the arrangements are just beautiful! Skip Greatest Hits and go directly to this one...

"Everybody Knows"
"I'm Your Man"
"Take This Waltz"
"Tower of Song"
"Anthem"
"Democracy"
"The Future"
"Closing Time"
"Dance Me to the End of Love" (live)
"Suzanne" (live)
"Hallelujah" (live)
"Never Any Good"
"The Great Event"

519buwCj1fL.jpg

Greatest Hits -- CD

Cat Stevens

1975/1990 A&M Records

Amazon.com

Before Cat Stevens changed his name to Yusef Islam, he had a slew of hits built around his soft, yet sometimes coarse, vocals. Stevens utilized a variety of instrumentation and rhythms in his predominantly acoustic arrangements, and songs like "Peace Train," and "Another Saturday Night" had a multi-cultural feel to them. Greatest Hits provides a decent overview of his more popular work, including the poignant "Oh Very Young" and "Father & Son." Unfortunately, the delightful yet brief "Tea for the Tillerman" is not present. The lovely "Morning Has Broken" has elements of Stevens's growing concern with religion, philosophy, and the relationship between the cerebral and the spiritual. In the early 1980s, Stevens, now Yusef, "retired" from the music profession because of his new beliefs. --Steve Gdula

2999c060ada0e4ea0203c110.L.jpg

Have any of you guys ever heard of "The Good Rats". These guys were big on LI NY. Listened to this one over the weekend on Cassette. I had recorded the album to play in my car long before CD"s.

Ratcityinblue.jpg

Track listing

Words and music by Peppi Marchello -- arranged by Good Rats

1."Does It Make You Feel Good" 3:29
2."Boardwalk Slasher" 3:53
3."Ratcity In Blue" 4:53
4."Almost Anything Goes" 2:33
5."The Room" 4:00
6."Writing The Pages" 3:00
7."Reason To Kill" 4:56
8."Advertisement In The Voice" 3:20
9."Yellow Flower" 2:38
10."Tough Guys" 2:33
11."Hour Glass" 3:09

df52a2c008a0bf7d007fa010.L.jpg

The Very Best of Eagles -- 2 CD Set

Eagles

2003 Elektra Records

A definitive collection at last, October 22, 2003
By Peter Durward Harris "Pete the music fan" (Leicester England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Eagles : The Very Best Of (2CD) (Audio CD)

There have been Eagles compilations before but this by far the best. It contains all the songs that could be found on earlier British and American compilations, plus a few songs never before included on any of them. And everything has been digitally re-mastered, sounding better than ever.

All the famous songs are here including Desperado, Take it to the limit, Lying eyes, Hotel California, Tequila sunrise, New kid in town and Best of my love to name just a few.

Aside from the obvious songs, you also get Please come home for Christmas (a song that has since become a standard), two songs from their Hell freezes over album (Love will keep us alive and Get over it), their recently recorded Hole in the world and several great album tracks, of which I particularly like Midnight flyer and Victim of love. A nice booklet with extensive liner notes is also included.

If you only buy one Eagles collection, make it this one. It has everything that most people will ever need, although there are still plenty of interesting songs on the original albums that couldn't be included.

Disc one

"Take It Easy" (Jackson Browne, Glenn Frey) – 3:29
"Witchy Woman" (Don Henley, Bernie Leadon) – 4:10
"Peaceful Easy Feeling" (Jack Tempchin) – 4:16
"Desperado" (Henley, Frey) – 3:33
"Tequila Sunrise" (Henley, Frey) – 2:42
"Doolin-Dalton" (Browne, Frey, Henley, J.D. Souther) – 3:26
"Already Gone" (Tempchin, Robb Strandlund) – 4:13
"Best of My Love" (Henley, Frey, Souther) – 4:35
"James Dean" (Browne, Frey, Souther, Henley) – 3:36
"Ol' '55" (Tom Waits) – 4:22
"Midnight Flyer" (Paul Craft) – 3:58
"On the Border" (Henley, Leadon, Frey) – 4:28
"Lyin' Eyes" (Henley, Frey) – 6:21
"One of These Nights" (Henley, Frey) – 4:51
"Take It to the Limit" (Randy Meisner, Henley, Frey) – 4:48
"After the Thrill Is Gone" (Henley, Frey) - 3:56
"Hotel California" (Don Felder, Henley, Frey) – 6:30

Tracks 1–3 from Eagles (1972)Tracks 4–6 from Desperado (1973)Tracks 7–12 from On the Border (1974)Tracks 13–16 from One of These Nights (1975)Track 17 from Hotel California (1976)

Disc two

"Life in the Fast Lane" (Joe Walsh, Henley, Frey) – 4:46
"Wasted Time" (Henley, Frey) – 4:55
"Victim of Love" (Felder, Souther, Henley, Frey) – 4:11
"The Last Resort" (Henley, Frey) – 7:25
"New Kid in Town" (Souther, Henley, Frey) – 5:04
"Please Come Home for Christmas" (Charlie Brown) – 2:58
"Heartache Tonight" (Henley, Frey, Bob Seger, Souther) – 4:26
"The Sad Café" (Henley, Frey, Walsh, Souther) – 5:35
"I Can't Tell You Why" (Timothy B. Schmit, Henley, Frey) – 4:56
"The Long Run" (Henley, Frey) – 3:42
"In the City" (Walsh, Barry De Vorzon) – 3:46
"Those Shoes" (Felder, Henley, Frey) – 4:56
"Seven Bridges Road (Live)" (Steve Young) – 3:25
"Love Will Keep Us Alive" (Pete Vale, Jim Capaldi, Paul Carrack) – 4:00
"Get Over It" (Henley, Frey) – 3:29
"Hole in the World" (Henley, Frey) – 4:13

Tracks 1-5 from Hotel California (1976)Track 6 was a non-album single (1978)Tracks 7-12 from The Long Run (1979)Track 13 from Eagles Live (1980)Tracks 14 and 15 from Hell Freezes Over (1994)Track 16 is a new track (2003)

Leftofthemiddle.jpg

Track listing

No. Title Music Length
1. "Torn" Scott Cutler, Anne Preven, Phil Thornalley 4:04
2. "One More Addiction" Natalie Imbruglia, Dave Munday, Thornalley 3:30
3. "Big Mistake" Imbruglia, Mark Goldenberg 4:32
4. "Leave Me Alone" Imbruglia, Andy Wright 4:21
5. "Wishing I Was There" Imbruglia, Colin Campsie, Thornalley 3:52
6. "Smoke" Imbruglia, Matt Bronleewe 4:37
7. "Pigeons and Crumbs" Imbruglia, Goldenberg 5:21
8. "Don't You Think?" Campsie, Thornalley 3:55
9. "Impressed" Imbruglia, Rick Palombi, Nick Trevisik 4:47
10. "Intuition" Imbruglia, Munday, Thornalley 3:22
11. "City" Imbruglia, Thornalley 4:50
12. "Left of the Middle" Imbruglia, Steve Booker 3:46

heeman said:
Leftofthemiddle.jpg

Track listing

No. Title Music Length
1. "Torn" Scott Cutler, Anne Preven, Phil Thornalley 4:04
2. "One More Addiction" Natalie Imbruglia, Dave Munday, Thornalley 3:30
3. "Big Mistake" Imbruglia, Mark Goldenberg 4:32
4. "Leave Me Alone" Imbruglia, Andy Wright 4:21
5. "Wishing I Was There" Imbruglia, Colin Campsie, Thornalley 3:52
6. "Smoke" Imbruglia, Matt Bronleewe 4:37
7. "Pigeons and Crumbs" Imbruglia, Goldenberg 5:21
8. "Don't You Think?" Campsie, Thornalley 3:55
9. "Impressed" Imbruglia, Rick Palombi, Nick Trevisik 4:47
10. "Intuition" Imbruglia, Munday, Thornalley 3:22
11. "City" Imbruglia, Thornalley 4:50
12. "Left of the Middle" Imbruglia, Steve Booker 3:46
Great Choice Heeman! I have and enjoy that album! :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

23df024128a0aa1ac6bbc010.L.jpg

Greatest Hits -- CD

STYX

1995 A&M Records

Amazon.com

If it's your belief that one of the reasons today's rock is so bereft of personality is that all sense of show business has been drained from the music, then a look back at the career of Styx offers proof positive that it wasn't always thus. Greatest Hits offers a comprehensive overview of the band, from its art-rock days--which produced a top 10 hit in "Lady," a new version of which is included in this package--to its years as a perennial album-rock favorite--with offerings ranging from flights of fancy ("Come Sail Away," "Renegade") to proto-power ballads ("Babe," "Crystal Ball") to songs reflecting the working-class roots of its audience ("Too Much Time on My Hands," "Blue Collar Man"). The band eventually succumbed to a shift in musical tides and just plain silliness ("Mr. Roboto"), but for a time, this disc suggests, a satin-suited pomp-rocker was something to be. --Daniel Durchholz

"Lady '95" (Dennis DeYoung) – 3:05 Re-recorded for the compilation. Originally from Styx II.
"The Best of Times" (DeYoung) – 4:18 From Paradise Theater.
"Lorelei" (DeYoung, James Young) – 3:22 From Equinox.
"Too Much Time on My Hands" (Tommy Shaw) – 4:33 From Paradise Theater.
"Babe" (DeYoung) – 4:24 From Cornerstone.
"Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man)" (Shaw) – 5:28 From The Grand Illusion.
"Show Me the Way" (DeYoung) – 4:36 From Edge of the Century.
"Renegade" (Shaw) – 4:14 From Pieces of Eight.
"Come Sail Away" (DeYoung) – 6:05 From The Grand Illusion.
"Blue Collar Man (Long Nights)" (Shaw) – 4:06 From Pieces of Eight.
"The Grand Illusion" (DeYoung) – 4:35 From The Grand Illusion.
"Crystal Ball" (Shaw) – 4:32 From Crystal Ball.
"Suite Madame Blue" (DeYoung) – 6:33 From Equinox.
"Miss America" (Young) – 4:59 From The Grand Illusion.
"Mr. Roboto" (DeYoung) – 5:30 From Kilroy Was Here.
"Don't Let It End" (DeYoung) – 4:54 From Kilroy Was Here.

Dennie said:
23df024128a0aa1ac6bbc010.L.jpg

Greatest Hits -- CD

STYX

1995 A&M Records

Amazon.com

If it's your belief that one of the reasons today's rock is so bereft of personality is that all sense of show business has been drained from the music, then a look back at the career of Styx offers proof positive that it wasn't always thus. Greatest Hits offers a comprehensive overview of the band, from its art-rock days--which produced a top 10 hit in "Lady," a new version of which is included in this package--to its years as a perennial album-rock favorite--with offerings ranging from flights of fancy ("Come Sail Away," "Renegade") to proto-power ballads ("Babe," "Crystal Ball") to songs reflecting the working-class roots of its audience ("Too Much Time on My Hands," "Blue Collar Man"). The band eventually succumbed to a shift in musical tides and just plain silliness ("Mr. Roboto"), but for a time, this disc suggests, a satin-suited pomp-rocker was something to be. --Daniel Durchholz

"Lady '95" (Dennis DeYoung) – 3:05 Re-recorded for the compilation. Originally from Styx II.
"The Best of Times" (DeYoung) – 4:18 From Paradise Theater.
"Lorelei" (DeYoung, James Young) – 3:22 From Equinox.
"Too Much Time on My Hands" (Tommy Shaw) – 4:33 From Paradise Theater.
"Babe" (DeYoung) – 4:24 From Cornerstone.
"Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man)" (Shaw) – 5:28 From The Grand Illusion.
"Show Me the Way" (DeYoung) – 4:36 From Edge of the Century.
"Renegade" (Shaw) – 4:14 From Pieces of Eight.
"Come Sail Away" (DeYoung) – 6:05 From The Grand Illusion.
"Blue Collar Man (Long Nights)" (Shaw) – 4:06 From Pieces of Eight.
"The Grand Illusion" (DeYoung) – 4:35 From The Grand Illusion.
"Crystal Ball" (Shaw) – 4:32 From Crystal Ball.
"Suite Madame Blue" (DeYoung) – 6:33 From Equinox.
"Miss America" (Young) – 4:59 From The Grand Illusion.
"Mr. Roboto" (DeYoung) – 5:30 From Kilroy Was Here.
"Don't Let It End" (DeYoung) – 4:54 From Kilroy Was Here.

Back at ya with this one!! Tommy Shaw and the band were one of a kind during their prime!

Noel Gallagher - "The Dreams We Have As Children" (Live Album)

I finally bought something with that iTunes gift card I received last Christmas. Figured I couldn't go too wrong seeing as how this particular album isn't available in a physical disc format. Anyway... Here we find the now former Oasis guitarist (and occasional lead vocalist), performing in a charity event for the Teenage Cancer Trust at the famed Royal Albert Hall, running through a more-or-less acoustic set of familiar hits and fan favorites. Many of the songs don't sound all that different from the Oasis originals, but they are nonetheless enjoyable. More interesting, though, are the few songs Noel sings that had originally featured brother Liam singing on lead.

No major complaints from me as I've always liked Noel's voice and look forward to new music if he ever gets around to releasing that rumored solo album. Though, I'd feel better if by chance a portion of my purchase's proceeds went toward funding the charity seeing as how this wasn't exactly an essential acquisition; but I'm not sure if it does or not.

61iSlxfGz4L._SS500_.jpg

6101GbcaQWL._SS500_.jpg

Greatest Hits -- CD

Boston

1997 Epic Records

Guitar Greats, April 23, 2001
By Thomas Magnum (NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER) (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Boston - Greatest Hits (Audio CD)

Boston's Greatest Hits collects all the band's best and it is a tremendous group of songs. "More Than A Feeling", "Don't Look Back", "Long Time", "Cool The Engines", "Amanda" and the rest are FM rock radio staples and classic all. The new songs don't add anything to the mix (although the "Star Spangled Banner" is interesting), but the rest is pure cream. since the band only has four studio albums, I would suggest for a few extra bucks you buy their first three, Boston, Don't Look Back & Third stage (Their fourth, Walk On is not needed) and you will get the full scope of their guitar pyrotechnics and vocal histrionics.

1. "Tell Me" 4:04
2. "Higher Power" (Scholz, David Sikes) 5:06
3. "More Than a Feeling" 4:45
4. "Peace of Mind" 5:05
5. "Don't Look Back" 5:57
6. "Cool the Engines" (Brad Delp, Fran Sheehan, Scholz) 4:35
7. "Livin' for You" 4:55
8. "Feelin' Satisfied" 4:11
9. "Party" (Scholz, Delp) 4:08
10. "Foreplay/Long Time" 7:48
11. "Amanda" 4:15
12. "Rock & Roll Band" 3:00
13. "Smokin'" (Scholz, Delp) 4:20
14. "A Man I'll Never Be" 6:32
15. "Star-Spangled Banner/4th Of July Reprise" (Francis Scott Key, Tom Scholz) 2:44
16. "Higher Power [Kalodner edit]" (Scholz, Sikes) 3:52

49d28149e7a0dfb6b8fed110.L.jpg

Best Of The Doobies -- CD

The Doobie Brothers

1976/1990 Warner Bros. Records

Amazon.com

The Doobie Brothers' career is best be divided into two camps. The band originally started out as a good-time party band, as their name implies, churning out a string of rock hits like "Jesus Is Just Alright," "Take Me in Your Arms," and "Black Water." The guitar intro to "China Grove" is a rock classic, lending itself to every bar band in the world. There was something infectious about the early hits--strong melodies, great harmonies, and a genre-bending beat lifted the songs above the ordinary. That rollicking, rocking edge was all but abandoned when Michael McDonald joined. McDonald brought an urban, white-funk feel to the band, as best exemplified by "It Keeps You Runnin'" and "Takin' It to the Streets." Best of The Doobies draws more heavily upon the hits before his arrival, which, to many, should make the collection almost perfect. --Steve Gdula

Side One

"China Grove" (Tom Johnston) – 3:14
"Long Train Runnin'" (Johnston) – 3:23
"Takin' It to the Streets" (Michael McDonald) – 3:56
"Listen to the Music" (Johnston) – 3:49
"Black Water" (Patrick Simmons) – 4:14
"Rockin' Down the Highway" (Johnston) – 3:19

Side Two

"Jesus Is Just Alright" (A. Reynolds) – 4:30
"It Keeps You Runnin'" (McDonald) – 4:20
"South City Midnight Lady" (Simmons) – 5:27
"Take Me in Your Arms" (Holland–Dozier–Holland) – 3:39
"Without You" (John Hartman, Michael Hossack, Johnston, Tiran Porter, Simmons) – 4:58

512oW7qTjwL.jpg

Lennon Legend - The Very Best of John Lennon -- CD

John Lennon

1997 Capitol Records

Amazon.com

John Lennon's solo work has been anthologized so many times that it's hard to believe there wasn't a definitive compilation before this one. And, depending on your particular take, you might not find Lennon Legend quite hitting the mark. However, since it does contain the brilliantly scathing "Working Class Hero," doesn't ignore the woefully underrated Rock 'n' Roll album, and catches the hopeful renewal that came toward the end of his foreshortened life, it's probably about as close as anyone's going to come. His great songs shine, meditations like "Imagine" and his rockers had form and content, as in "Whatever Gets You Through the Night." He was an icon, and this does him justice. --Chris Nickson

All songs written and composed by John Lennon, except where noted.

"Imagine" – 3:02
"Instant Karma!" – 3:20
"Mother"1 – 3:53
"Jealous Guy" – 4:14
"Power to the People" – 3:17
"Cold Turkey" – 5:01
"Love" – 3:23
"Mind Games" – 4:11
"Whatever Gets You Thru the Night" – 3:19
"#9 Dream" – 4:46
"Stand By Me" (Ben E. King/Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller) – 3:27
"(Just Like) Starting Over" – 3:55
"Woman" – 3:26
"Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)" – 4:00
"Watching the Wheels" – 3:31
"Nobody Told Me" – 3:33
"Borrowed Time" – 4:30
"Working Class Hero" – 3:49
"Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" (John Lennon/Yoko Ono) – 3:33
"Give Peace a Chance" – 4:52

61oh0LjG%2BhL.jpg

Feels So Good -- CD

Chuck Mangione

1977/1990 A&M Records

The man with the flugel horn sure can play!!, December 15, 2000
By Glenn "Glenn98" (Bergenfield, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Feels So Good (Audio CD)

The Grammy winning title cut "Feels so Good" is what turned me on to Chuck Mangione's music. But this CD goes much further than that. ALL of the recordings here are excellent. And they are arranged alternating the fast and slow pieces in a pleasing way. "Maui Waui" and "Last Dance" are nice and relaxing. "Theme from Side Street" is short but meaningful. "Hide and Seek" is a catchy piece that will have you tapping to it. And "The XIth Commandment" is a brilliant end to this great CD.

This is by far Chuck's best recording. If you're in a qundary about which Chuck Mangione CD to buy, THIS IS THE ONE!

Feels So Good - 9:42 (edit: #4 pop, #1 AC)
Maui-Waui - 10:13
Theme From 'Side Street' - 2:05
Hide & Seek (Ready Or Not Here I Come) - 6:25
Last Dance - 10:54
The XIth Commandment - 6:36

I started eatin' that "Southern Cooking" and now I can't stop......

61uW5490vML.jpg

Second Helping -- CD

Lynyrd Skynyrd

1974/1990 MCA Records

Amazon.com essential recording

With staples such as "Sweet Home Alabama," "Workin' for MCA," and the J.J. Cale-penned "Call Me the Breeze," Skynyrd's second captures the Jacksonville, Florida, band at the height of its powers, coming off the success of "Free Bird" and "Gimme Three Steps" from their 1973 debut. Backed by a tight rhythm section and the mighty three-guitar attack of Allen Collins, Ed King, and Gary Rossington, singer Ronnie Van Zant (credited in the album notes for "Vocals, J&B") turns in a legendary performance on the urgent blues ballad "I Need You," the cautionary "The Needle and the Spoon," and "The Ballad of Curtis Loew," the story of a young white boy sitting at the feet of an old black Dobro master. Along with Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd and One More from the Road, Second Helping remains Skynyrd's finest hour. --James Rotondi

Side one

"Sweet Home Alabama" (Ed King, Gary Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant) – 4:43
"I Need You" (Ed King, Gary Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant) – 6:55
"Don't Ask Me No Questions" (Gary Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant) – 3:26
"Workin' for MCA" (Ed King, Ronnie Van Zant) – 4:49

Side two

"The Ballad of Curtis Loew" (Allen Collins, Ronnie Van Zant) – 4:51
"Swamp Music" (Ed King, Ronnie Van Zant) – 3:31
"The Needle and the Spoon" (Allen Collins, Ronnie Van Zant) – 3:53
"Call Me the Breeze" (J. J. Cale) – 5:09

71a162e89da0f533bf2d2110.L.jpg

Straight Shooter -- CD

Bad Company

1974/1990 Swan Song Records

Supergroup hits its stride, November 7, 2001
By Mons "Mons" (Norrpan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Straight Shooter (Audio CD)

Released in 1974, Straightshooter is regarded by many as being Bad Company's strongest album. It has the bluesy feel of its predecessor (Bad Co) but has the band turning their amps up 11 and rocking out the strongest set of songs of the band's career. Do not forget that Bad Co was a supergroup with 2 guys out of Free (Rodgers and Kirke), the bass player from King Crimson (Boz Burrell) and Mott the Hoople's guitarist (Mick Ralphs). They should have been huge, of course, but suffered from having to play second fiddle to Swan Song stablemates Led Zeppelin. The songs were great, their sound: a sort of supercharged, sexy blues-rock without the pretention of Led Zep. What let them down perhaps was their lyrics, some of which make Spinal Tap look like Leonard Cohen, but if you can take that - and I can - this album is a great listen from beginning to end. Bad Company were also one of the few hard rock bands that wrote great ballads (Anna), though it was Straightshooter's high-octane rockers like Good Lovin' Gone Bad, Feel Like Making Love and Shooting Star that helped secure them a place in rock history. Bad Company were a good, tight band, but I would recommend anyone to listen to them purely to hear Paul Rodgers' masterful rock vocals. New to Bad Company? Get this one first, and then Bad Co.

Side one

"Good Lovin' Gone Bad" (Mick Ralphs) – 3:35
"Feel Like Makin' Love" (Paul Rodgers, Ralphs) – 5:12
"Weep No More" (Simon Kirke) – 3:59
"Shooting Star" (Rodgers) – 6:16

Side two

"Deal With the Preacher" (Rodgers, Ralphs) – 5:01
"Wild Fire Woman" (Rodgers, Ralphs) – 4:32
"Anna" (Kirke) – 3:41
"Call on Me" (Rodgers) – 6:03

My last one of the evening...

519Ro2ZZ9jL._SS500_.jpg

Never Die Young -- CD

James Taylor

1988 Columbia Records

Another Number One Album For Old "JT"!, August 25, 2000
By Barron Laycock "Labradorman" (Temple, New Hampshire United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Never Die Young (Audio CD)

James Taylor has given us so many wonderful albums over the last couple of decades (Gee, is it thirty years already?) that it is truly surprising to see him come up with yet another blockbuster of a song as "Never Die Young" along with a wonderful song cycle as he's produced here. From the opening bars of "Never Die Young", a wry but dreamy recollection of a couple destined to rise above the level of the ordinary humdrum of small town mentality to the thoughtful and well-arranged "T-Bone" to the reflective "Baby Boom Baby" to the rollicking "Sweet Potato Pie", there isn't a pooch in the passel. As always, this is an eclectic mixture of folk ballads like "Never Die Young" and the pensive and soulful "First Of May", which is my personal favorite here. What we have here, folks, is a guarantee of an entertaining, superbly rendered, and always memorable music by one of the old masters of popular folk-rock. After all, "JT" has now successfully negotiated the fifty-year mark, and like the rest of us boomers, shows no sign of slowing down or repeating himself. Enjoy!

All songs were written by James Taylor, except where noted.

"Never Die Young" – 4:24
"T-Bone" (Bill Payne, Taylor) – 3:47
"Baby Boom Baby" (Taylor, Zachary Wiesner) – 4:59
"Runaway Boy" – 4:18
"Valentine's Day" – 2:35
"Sun on the Moon" – 4:09
"Sweet Potato Pie" – 3:30
"Home by Another Way" (Timothy Mayer, Taylor) – 3:50
"Letter in the Mail" – 4:41
"First of May" – 4:01

Today's work truck music...

613UoIC17UL.jpg

Bridge Over Troubled Water -- CD

Simon & Garfunkel

1970/2001 Columbia Legacy

No one can say Simon & Garfunkel went out with a whimper. The popular duo's 1970 swan song produced four hit singles and won six Grammy awards, including Record, Album, and Song of the Year. An involving mix of sweeping epics ("The Boxer," the title track) and breezy throwaways (a live cover of the Everly Brothers' "Bye Bye Love," the rock & roll trifle "Baby Driver"), Bridge was one of the most popular albums of its era. What's particularly striking about this collection is how brightly lesser-acclaimed songs like "So Long Frank Lloyd Wright" and the gorgeous "The Only Living Boy in New York" shine. (The 2001 reissue adds a pair of demos to the original work, including the traditional "Feuilles-O.")--Steven Stolder

Side 1

"Bridge Over Troubled Water" – 4:52
Recorded: November 9, 1969 [7]
"El Condor Pasa (If I Could)" (Daniel Alomía Robles, English lyrics by Paul Simon, arranged by Jorge Milchberg) – 3:06
Recorded: November 2, 1969
"Cecilia" – 2:55
Recorded: November 2, 1969
"Keep the Customer Satisfied" – 2:33
Recorded: October 27, 1969
"So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright" – 3:41
Recorded: October 28, 1969

Side 2

"The Boxer" – 5:08
Recorded: November 16, 1968
"Baby Driver" – 3:14
Recorded: November 19, 1968
"The Only Living Boy in New York" – 3:58
Recorded: November 15, 1969
"Why Don't You Write Me" – 2:45
Recorded: June 13, 1969
"Bye Bye Love" (Felice and Boudleaux Bryant) (live recording from Ames, Iowa) – 2:55
Recorded: November 14, 1969
"Song for the Asking" – 1:39
Recorded: November 1, 1969

Bonus tracks (2001 CD reissue)

"Feuilles-O" [Demo] (Traditional) – 1:45
Recorded: August 11, 1969
"Bridge over Troubled Water" [Demo Take 6] – 4:46
Recorded: August 13, 1969

Zebra_Album.JPG

Track listing

No. Title Length

1. "Tell Me What You Want" 3:51
2. "One More Chance" 3:16
3. "Slow Down" 3:25
4. "As I Said Before" 2:56
5. "Who's Behind the Door?" 5:09
6. "When You Get There" 2:56
7. "Take Your Fingers from My Hair" 7:20
8. "Don't Walk Away" 3:35
9. "The La La Song" 6:12

f1ab9833e7a0a326e8962110.L.jpg

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones -- CD

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

1990 Warner Bros. Records

When bluegrass banjo whiz Bela Fleck formed the Flecktones in 1990 with jazz pianist Howard Levy, funk bassist Victor Wooten, and electronic-drummer Roy Wooten, it seemed like just one more of those new-acoustic music bands that appear and disappear in Nashville with depressing regularity. There was something special about this quartet, though, for it used its peculiar instrumentation not as an end in itself but as a means to three albums of startling melodicism, improvisation, and feeling. At the end of 1992, Levy amicably departed to spend more time with his family and his own music. Rather than hire a new fourth member, Fleck and the Wootens have tried to compensate for his absence by an increased reliance on synthesizer sounds that they can trigger from their instruments and floor pedals. This has led to less emphasis on melody, harmony, and feeling and an increased emphasis on rhythm and showy virtuosity. --Geoffrey Himes

All songs by Béla Fleck unless otherwise noted.

"Sea Brazil" – 3:43
"Frontiers" – 6:08
"Hurricane Camille" – 2:38
"Half Moon Bay" – 5:09
"The Sinister Minister" – 4:38
"Sunset Road" – 5:04
"Flipper" – 4:21
"Mars Needs Women: Space is a Lonely Place" – 5:01
"Mars Needs Women: They're Here" – 3:30
"Reflections of Lucy" (Fleck/John Lennon/Paul McCartney) – 3:38
"Tell It to the Gov'nor" – 4:06

Back