• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Oops! Forgot to post this one.....

51kSCT9ysnL._SS500_.jpg

Pocket City -- CD

Art Porter

1992 Verve Forecast

Funky yet smooth, December 30, 2006
By Enrique Torres "Rico" (San Diegotitlan, Califas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pocket City (Audio CD)

Nearly fifteen years down the line and this CD still soumds good. This was the solo debut for Art Porter, who was the sax behind the sound of the fusion-smooth jazz band led by Jeff Lorber . Lorber is featured throughout as he engineered and produced the disc. Whether playing a blitzkrieg-attacking-boppish style as on the tile track "Pocket City" or the mellow-smooth-jazz style of "Inside Myself" Porter had the ability to be both funky and laid back. He was perfect for those who don't like their smooth jazz too smooth. He played both alto and soprano sax and his tone was reminiscent of another giant of pop jazz, Grover Wasington. Some of the finer tracks that show off his varied abilities are the aforementioned and "Passion Sunrise" where his sax produces the setting for the title,the Maxi Priest song "Close to You" that funks up the house and his Los Angeles inspired "L.A." that is like a sunset going down over the Pacific. Tragically Porter died in a boating accident while overseas for a jazz festival just four years after this debut album. He left behind some good music and you might start here or else his earlier work with The Jeff Lorber Fusion Group.

1. Pocket City
2. Inside Myself
3. Unending
4. Passion Sunrise
5. Texas Hump
6. Close To You
7. Little People
8. KGB
9. Broken Promise
10. Meltdown
11. L.A.

...and now...

6809729fd7a000576f3de010.L.jpg

Aja -- CD

Steely Dan

1977/1990 MCA Records

Timeless masterpiece, a landmark album of sheer beauty, April 3, 2000
By Sharon A. (Israel) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aja (Audio CD)

Not many albums have influenced me as much as Steely Dan's Aja. Donald Fagen and Walter Becker have created a most unique flavour of Jazz meets Rock where beatiful melodies, genius production and perfect performance blend to produce a timeless masterpiece. This album should be on the A-List of everyone who appreciates the beauty of music. The album is full of complex musical concepts which immediately remind the progressive rock fan some of the common manoeuvres in classic progressive rock albums. Take the title song "Aja" for example. This piece takes you on a eight minutes ride to diverse musical patterns that vary between rock and jazz moods, amplified by rich orchestration. Other songs such as "Decon Blues" and "Home At Last" constantly prove to be intriguing while "Black Cow" is captivating. The presence of saxophonist Wayne Shorter on "Aja" is blessed - as a serious Shorter's fan I was delighted to see his inclusion on the album and I regard this decision as a wise one - the solo part he plays is terrific, bringing his genius and gifts to combine perfectly with the different environment he plays in. I would also like to add it is worthwhile for Steely Dan fans to get the remastered version of the album, just for the sound quality. Usually I cannot tell the difference, but since I had the original CD release and heard it so much, I could compare. The difference is amazing, the quality is much better - you can actually hear new sounds and appreciate the separation of the different instruments. The liner notes are quite disappointing, so I ordered the DVD to learn more about making of this unusual album. This album made me buy all of Steely Dan's albums, so if you like it I would recommend underrated "The Royal Scam" and "Countdown to Ecstasy" albums, although all are excellent. Get this album, it may be one of your best musical purchases ever. I know my getting to know it was a bless.

All songs written by Walter Becker and Donald Fagen.

Side one

"Black Cow" – 5:10
"Aja" – 7:57
"Deacon Blues" – 7:37

Side two

"Peg" – 3:57
"Home at Last" – 5:34
"I Got the News" – 5:06
"Josie" – 4:33

71z48u7XNhL.jpg

Get Lucky -- CD

Mark Knopfler

2009 Reprise Records

This is the sixth solo studio album from the legendary musician and follows 2007's highly successful Kill To Get Crimson, which Rolling Stone heralded as 'a gem' and USA Today described as, '...yet another unpretentious showcase for his unmistakable gifts as a musician, tunesmith and storyteller.'
Recorded at Knopfler's award-winning British Grove Studios in West London, Get Lucky was co-produced with longtime collaborators, engineer Chuck Ainlay and keyboardist Guy Fletcher and featured Richard Bennett, Danny Cummings, John McCusker, Matt Rollings and Glenn Worf. The 11-track album explores a lifetime of musical roots exemplified by the title track. 'The first itinerant person I ever met would sing in soul bands in winter, then work part-time in fairgrounds or 'go pick fruit down south' when the weather turned warm,' explains Knopfler. 'I was about 15 years old, stuck in school and envious. 'Get Lucky' came from him and other traveling characters I went on to meet in places I'd find myself working short-term, like farms, warehouses, building sites, before I got lucky with my songs.'

"Border Reiver" – 4:35
"Hard Shoulder" – 4:33
"You Can't Beat the House" – 3:25
"Before Gas and TV" – 5:50
"Monteleone" – 3:39
"Cleaning My Gun" – 4:43
"The Car Was the One" – 3:55
"Remembrance Day" – 5:05
"Get Lucky" – 4:33
"So Far from the Clyde" – 5:58
"Piper to the End" – 5:47

0931eb6709a0eb499c5b2110.L.jpg

Golden Heart -- CD

Mark Knopfler

1996 Reprise Records

An Absolute Classic!, January 22, 2000
By Canyon Adams (Saginaw, Michigan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golden Heart (Audio CD)

I have been a Mark Knopfler fan since the first notes of Sultans of Swing came across the radio in 1978. I've seen him in concert several times and have purchased every piece of music he's ever touched, including all the Dylan pieces and The Notting Hillbillies. I even have the hard-to-get video of him doing songs of this album.

Golden Heart is clearly one of his finest! It's a classic! It's all there: the guitar, the voice, the tight back-up, the songs. Everything you like about Mark Knopfler is on this CD.

The first time I heard it I was in tears...before Darling Pretty was even two verses along. And since that time, I have made a point to listen to this collection almost daily. (I even allude to this CD in the amazon.com interview for my books.)

Here is my opinion: BUY THIS CD! If you are a Knopfler fan, this collection has it all!

All tracks are written by Mark Knopfler.

"Darling Pretty" – 4:31
"Imelda" – 5:26
"Golden Heart" – 5:01
"No Can Do" – 4:54
"Vic and Ray" – 4:36
"Don't You Get It" – 5:16
"A Night in Summer Long Ago" – 4:43
"Cannibals" – 3:41
"I'm the Fool" – 4:28
"Je Suis Désolé" – 5:14
"Rüdiger" – 6:03
"Nobody's Got the Gun" – 5:25
"Done With Bonaparte" – 5:06
"Are We in Trouble Now?" – 5:54

71%2BKaiQBWfL.jpg

The Wide World Over - A 40 Year Celebration -- CD

The Chieftains

2003 RCA Victor Records

Amazon.com

One of the elements that's made the Chieftains the stellar Celtic band in the world is their love of innovative collaborations with mainstream pop stars. The Wide World Over: A 40-Year Celebration gathers into a single collection some of the Irish ensemble's most memorable moments, including predictable alliances with artists such as Van Morrison, who sings "Shenandoah" to additional backing by the Irish Film Orchestra, and unlikely pairings like the Rolling Stones, who add a rock kick and the "Satisfaction" riff to "The Rocky Road to Dublin." Cross-cultural experts Linda Ronstadt and Los Lobos demonstrate their versatility on the Mexican ditties "Txalaparta" and "Guadalupe," on which pipes and pennywhistle don't seem a whisker out of place, while Ricky Skaggs points to the Irish and British roots of American country music on the rousing "Cotton-Eyed Joe." Art Garfunkel, Sting, Sinead O'Connor, Joni Mitchell, and Elvis Costello are also featured in classic performances with the 40-year-old Irish band, while a brand-new collaboration with Ziggy Marley yields a gorgeous Don Was-produced rendition of Bob Marley's "Redemption Song." The cliché that there's a bit of the Irish in all of us proves true in this wide-ranging, constantly rewarding, and frequently surprising collection. And the tracks on which the Chieftains go it alone are also a gas. --Bob Tarte

1. "March of the King of Laois/Paddy's Jig/O'Keefes/Chattering Magpie (Reels)" An Irish Evening 4:25
2. "The Foggy Dew" (feat. Sinéad O'Connor) The Long Black Veil 5:01
3. "I Know My Love" (feat. The Corrs) Tears of Stone 3:27
4. "Cotton-Eyed Joe" (feat. Ricky Skaggs) Another Country 2:46
5. "The Magdalene Laundries" (feat. Joni Mitchell) Tears of Stone 4:57
6. "Live from Matt Molloy's Pub" Water from the Well 2:21
7. "Shenandoah" (feat. Van Morrison) Long Journey Home 3:52
8. "The Munster Cloak/An Poc Ar Buile/Ferny Hill/Little Molly" New release 6:12
9. "Morning Has Broken" (feat. Diana Krall and Art Garfunkel) New release 2:55
10. "Morning Dew/Women of Ireland" Film Cuts 2:57
11. "Mo Ghile Mear (Our Hero)" (feat. Sting) The Long Black Veil 3:30
12. "Carolan's Concerto" (feat. The Belfast Harp Orchestra) The Celtic Harp 3:02
13. "Guadalupe" (feat. Linda Ronstadt and Los Lobos) Santiago 3:31
14. "Full of Joy" (feat. Traditional Chinese Ensemble) The Chieftains in China 3:24
15. "Here's a Health to the Company" A Chieftains' Celebration 3:03
16. "Chasing the Fox" (feat. The Cincinnati Pops Orchestra and Erich Kunzel) New release 4:11
17. "Long Journey Home (Anthem)" (feat. Elvis Costello) Long Journey Home 3:21
18. "The Rocky Road to Dublin" (feat. The Rolling Stones) The Long Black Veil 4:17
19. "Redemption Song" (feat. Ziggy Marley) New release 4:23

2ff2e03ae7a0fc322a0fb110.L.jpg

The Very Best of Linda Ronstadt -- CD

Linda Ronstadt

2002 Elektra Records

Amazon.com

Linda Ronstadt, who emerged from SoCal's vaunted early-'70s country-folk scene, became the American female rock superstar of the Me Decade. After the initial success of the Stone Poneys' Michael Nesmith-penned "Different Drum," Ronstadt expanded her horizons through interpretations of a long string of successful pop and R&B covers. Along the way she championed emerging songwriters like Warren Zevon ("Poor Poor Pitiful Me") and contemporary favorites like Neil Young ("Love Is a Rose") in the bargain. As the formula waned with the changing tastes of the '80s, she briefly turned to new wave before stepping boldly back to the pop standards of the '30s, '40s, and '50s. Unfortunately, this collection inexplicably skips over that three-album collaboration with arranger-conductor Nelson Riddle, a body of work that presaged the 1990s' lounge-pop revival by a full decade--and outclassed it by miles. It also eschews a compelling contemporary Latin chapter of her career in favor of her winning collaborations with Aaron Neville ("Don't Know Much" and "All My Life") and less successful AC fodder like "Winter Light" and "Somewhere Out There" with James Ingram. A good primer to Ronstadt's immense vocal talents and recording history, but one that's flawed by some crucial missing chapters. --Jerry McCulley

"You're No Good" (1974) – 3:44
"It's So Easy" (1977) – 2:28
"Blue Bayou" (1977) – 3:56
"Don't Know Much" (duet with Aaron Neville) (1989) – 3:33
"Somewhere Out There" (duet with James Ingram) (1986) – 3:59
"When Will I Be Loved" (1974) – 2:09
"(Love Is Like A) Heat Wave" (1975, 2007) – 2:45
"Different Drum" (with The Stone Poneys) (1967) – 2:38
"Poor Poor Pitiful Me" (1977, 2007) – 3:42
"The Tracks of My Tears" (1975, 2007) – 3:14
"After the Gold Rush" (with Valerie Carter and Emmylou Harris) (2007) – 3:33
"Long Long Time" (1970) – 4:22
"Just One Look" (1995/96) – 3:17
"Heart Like a Wheel" (1974, 2007) – 3:09
"Back in the U.S.A." (1995/96) – 3:01
"That'll Be the Day" (1976) – 2:34
"Hurt So Bad" (1980, 2007) – 3:16
"All My Life" (duet with Aaron Neville) (1989) – 3:30
"Ooo Baby Baby" (1995/96) – 3:19
"The Blue Train" (1995) – 3:37
"How Do I Make You" (1980, 2007) – 3:37
"Desperado" (1973) – 3:37
"Winter Light" (1995) – 3:16

6ba3c6da8da092bf43b70110.L.jpg

Come On Home -- CD

Boz Scaggs

1997 Virgin U.S. Records

Bobby Bland, Jimmy Reed, T-Bone Walker . . . Boz Scaggs!, November 4, 2001
By stranger2himself (Down Here) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come on Home (Audio CD)

I grew up on Ray Charles, James Brown, soul, blues, country & gospel. I've been listening to and collecting music for 40 years, and have approx. 3,000 recordings. Simply put, this is one of the best, most soulful, powerful, bodaciously BAD records I've ever heard! There is not a weak cut here. Boz sounds like he's been holding this in for 30 years! The production & playing are flawless, but not too slick. The "live-in-the-studio" sound is preserved. There are no "highlights", every cut is astounding. With that in mind, "Love Letters" brings tears to my eyes, and, like the previous reviewer, I fall to my knees when Boz testifies "I've Got Your Love". His vocal chords should be enshrined; his heart and soul could provide electrical power to most of North America. If you like ANY kind of blues or R&B, you will surely dig this!

"It All Went Down the Drain"
"Ask Me 'Bout Nothin' (But the Blues)"
"Don't Cry No More"
"Found Love"
"Come On Home"
"Picture of a Broken Heart"
"Love Letters"
"I've Got Your Love"
"Early in the Morning"
"Your Good Thing (Is About to End)"
"T-Bone Shuffle"
"Sick and Tired"
"After Hours"
"Goodnight Louise"

2cf1224b9da0eb469dbea010.L.jpg

When Harry Met Sally... - Music from the Motion Picture -- CD

Harry Connick, Jr.

1989 Columbia Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Plucked from the piano bars of New Orleans, Harry Connick Jr. was an unlikely choice to pen the soundtrack for a major Hollywood release. But everyone concerned hit the jackpot. As with the best of Connick's music, When Harry Met Sally resonates with a whimsical yet sophisticated and urbane energy. That smooth, breathy tenor, combined with some inventive arrangements, brought color and setting to the film, playing a plum supporting role for Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan. Beyond the film, this collection of reworked standards stands on its own quite well. A lustrous vocal line bookends the hopping instrumental swing in the middle of "Don't Get Around Much Anymore," playing that song's central melancholy up with a Nelson Riddle-esque big-band sweep. Connick's take on "Love Is Here to Stay" puts a gentle cha-cha behind the familiar verses, slowly working in a lazily wandering tenor sax. By the time the record fades out in a hushed, tender rendition of "Where or When," Connick has managed to thoroughly charm us, whether we'd seen the movie or not. --Matthew Cooke

Performed by Harry Connick, Jr., and his trio

"It Had to Be You" (Isham Jones, Gus Kahn)
"Love Is Here to Stay" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin)
"Stompin' at the Savoy" (Benny Goodman, Chick Webb, Edgar Sampson, Andy Razaf)
"But Not for Me" (G. Gershwin, I. Gershwin)
"Winter Wonderland" (Felix Bernard, Richard B. Smith)
"Don't Get Around Much Anymore" (Duke Ellington, Bob Russell)
"Autumn in New York" (Vernon Duke)
"I Could Write a Book" (Lorenz Hart, Richard Rodgers)
"Let's Call the Whole Thing Off" (G. Gershwin, I. Gershwin)
"It Had to Be You (Instrumental Trio)" (Jones, Kahn)
"Where or When" (Hart, Rodgers)

Bobby Colomby, the drummer for Blood, Sweat & Tears and a friend of director Rob Reiner, recommended Harry Connick, Jr., as the musician to work with on the soundtrack. When Reiner listened to the tape Colomby gave him, he was struck by Connick's voice and how it sounded like a young Frank Sinatra. The movie's soundtrack album was released by Columbia Records in July 1989. The soundtrack consists of standards performed by Harry Connick, Jr., with a big band and orchestra arranged by Marc Shaiman. Connick won his first Grammy for Best Jazz Male Vocal Performance.

Arrangements and orchestrations on "It Had to Be You", "Where or When", "I Could Write a Book", and "But Not for Me" are by Connick and Shaiman. Other songs were performed as piano/vocal solos, or with Connick's trio featuring Benjamin Jonah Wolfe on bass and Jeff "Tain" Watts on drums. Also appearing on the album are tenor saxophonist Frank Wess and guitarist Joy Berliner.

The soundtrack went to #1 on the Billboard Traditional Jazz Chart and was within the top 50 on the Billboard 200. Connick also toured North America in support of this album. It went on to reach double-platinum status.

This is my last one for the evening...

51IdVHF7zPL.jpg

Bossa Nova Stories -- CD

Eliane Elias

2008 Blue Note Records

Brazilian perfume, August 24, 2008
By G Mojay - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bossa Nova Stories (Audio CD)

The music of Eliane Elias is deeply harmonic and sensual. At its heart is utterly superb jazz piano - rhythmic, gently propulsive and essentially (though not overtly) Brazilian. Elias infuses her sonorous, vibrant playing with some pleasingly melodic, whispery-delicate vocals - always pitch-perfectly complementing her sumptuous piano verve.

'Bossa Nova Stories' combines loving interpretations of Brazilian jazz classics with some popular American standards, all quality-assured by the formidable rhythm section of top-level bassist Marc Johnson (her husband) and percussionist Paulo Braga. About half the tracks are enriched by subtle orchestral arrangements conducted by Rob Mathes - reminiscent to me of those that embellish Diana Krall's 'The Look of Love'.

'Bossa Nova Stories' is essential listening to all who like, or certainly who love, Brazilian jazz. Track no 6, 'Estate (Summer'), can only be described as sublime - one of the most exquisite of jazz-samba melodies taken assuredly by Elias to a new level with the help of Toot Thieleman's passionate, playful harmonica. Further album standouts include 'Girl from Ipanema', 'Desafinado', 'Superwoman' and 'Rã (The Frog)'.

The album may not be as accomplished in jazz terms as the powerful 'Paulistana' or as innovative as the highly recommended 'Kissed by Nature', which comprises some wonderful Elias originals. Yet as an uplifting virtuoso homage to Brazilian jazz, 'Bossa Nova Stories' is a wise investment in complete musical enjoyment.

1 The Girl From Ipanema 5:22
2 Chega De Saudade 3:22
3 The More I See You 4:13
4 They Can't Take That Away From Me 3:47
5 Desafinado 4:27
6 Estate (Summer) 5:20
7 Day In Day Out 4:22
8 I'm Not Alone (Who Loves You?) 4:50
9 Too Marvelous For Words 3:55
10 Superwoman 3:39
11 Falsa Baiana 4:01
12 Minha Saudade 2:11
13 A Ra (The Frog) 4:14
14 Day By Day 5:27

418684605_85759ef1cd_z.jpg

Tanto Tempo -- CD

Bebel Gilberto

2008 ZIRIGUIBOOM BRASIL

Amazon.com's Best of 2000

Her father may be the legendary Brazilian guitarist Joao Gilberto, but in 2000 daughter Bebel proved that she understands the bossa nova, too. There's a subtlety throughout this recording that makes Bebel's voice entrancing, as she re-creates the sensual essence of bossa nova before running with it into electronic territory toward the album's end. Tanto Tempo is an even-tempered statement that manages to showcase Bebel's own sexy voice while gracefully remembering the past. --Karen K. Hugg

1. Samba da Benção
2. August Day Song
3. Tanto Tempo
4. Sem Contenção
5. Mais Feliz
6. Alguém
7. So Nice (Summer Samba)
8. Lonely
9. Bananeira
10. Samba e Amor
11. Close Your Eyes

51nFAUn9usL.jpg

MUSIC LEGENDS THE BLIND BOYS OF ALABAMA RECORD COUNTRY GOSPEL ALBUM!
Five-time Grammy Award winners The Blind Boys of Alabama's amazing spirit and soul is celebrated through songs as
they team up with country music royalty to release TAKE THE HIGH ROAD, a powerful new album that explores the deep connections between traditional country and gospel music. Jamey Johnson, currently one of country music's most acclaimed and compelling artists, co-produced the album and performs on it along with guest artists Vince Gill, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams Jr., Lee Ann Womack and The Oak Ridge Boys. This amazing country roster is further backed by an A-list of top Nashville studio musicians, with the result a stunning and powerful testament to the historic relationship
between these genres.

The concept for the collaboration started with original Blind Boy Jimmy Carter's longstanding love of country music and his desire to do a traditional country-tinged gospel album. The idea blossomed when the Blind Boys were asked to curate a series of shows, including a country gospel night, at the prestigious Lincoln Center Festival last year, and was further ignited when the band met Johnson at the 2010 Alabama Music Hall of Fame dinner in Birmingham where they asked him to participate in the new album. The result is a remarkable recording of 13 songs, some time-tested and some brand new.

"There wasn't one person who didn't bawl like a baby or bust their heart open at least once," said Johnson in a recent New York Times interview, reflecting upon these historic Nashville sessions. New friendships formed quickly between the
artists, and soulful sounds were crafted out of a shared love of real and authentic spiritual music. Recorded live in just a few days at the old RCA soundstage, this album has the soulful feel of an old-school country-gospel classic.

51hXfYWEAdL.jpg

Getz/Gilberto -- SACD

Stan Getz/Joao Gilberto featuring Antonio Carlos Jobim and Astrud Gilberto

1964/2002 Verve/Universal Music

Only SACD's capture the original master tape sound
, June 8, 2005
By rash67 (USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Getz Gilberto (Audio CD)

I'm sorry, friends, after twenty years of listening, buying hundreds of CD's and an improved stereo I now know CD's don't have enough bits. They don't capture all the sound that was in the original vinyl recordings. 44k and 2 to the 14th power was NOT enough samples (bits). Like looking at an old newspaper picture made out of large dots, it's not like a photo. Like a primitive digital print without enough pixels. Poor resolution.

With 4 times as many time slices (increments) in the x direction and 2 to the 8th power, 256 more bits (increments) in the Y direction, this SACD is the only format which really captures the sound of the original LP or master tape. You cannot hear the difference between this and the LP. It's the real thing.

If you thought CD's sound harsh, or bass-thin, not like a concert, well, you were right!

Beyond that, this album is the second best selling Jazz album of all time, behind Miles Davis "Kind of Blue". A timeless classic of the early sixties. "The Girl From Ipanema" was in the top ten songs on the Rock, Pop and Jazz Billboard charts for over a year in the '63-'64 time frame.

Yeah it's really that good!

Hear Stan the Man effortlessly pour out his soul in the bridge of "Corcovado", for example. As a personal note, this was the first Jazz LP I ever bought, as a clarinet and sax player myself, I couldn't believe how good Stan Getz tone was. And I still love it.

1. "The Girl from Ipanema" Antônio Carlos Jobim, Vinicius de Moraes, Norman Gimbel 5:24
2. "Doralice" Dorival Caymmi, Antonio Almeida 2:46
3. "Pra machucar meu coração" Ary Barroso 5:05
4. "Desafinado" Jobim, Newton Mendonça 4:15
5. "Corcovado" Jobim, Gene Lees 4:16
6. "Só danço samba" Jobim, de Moraes 3:45
7. "O grande amor" Jobim, de Moraes 5:27
8. "Vivo sonhando" Jobim 3:04
9. "The Girl from Ipanema" (45 rpm issue) Jobim, de Moraes, Gimbel 2:54
10. "Corcovado" (45 rpm issue) Jobim, Lees 2:20

d7a9225b9da026781fbac010.L.jpg

Retrospective - The Best of Buffalo Springfield -- CD

Buffalo Springfield

1969/1990 ATCO/Elektra Records

Amazon.com

Only a handful of bands have made a greater impact with fewer recordings than the short-lived Buffalo Springfield. Their history is told in the titles of their three albums: 1967's eponymous debut was followed by the peak-performance Again later that year, which was followed by 1968's Last Time Around. While their entire recorded career encompasses a mere two years, the Stephen Stills-Neil Young-Richie Furay-led quintet produced a number of '60s rock classics. Stills chipped in "For What It's Worth" and "Bluebird"; Furay's "Kind Woman" is one of the touchstones of country-rock; and Young fired off the likes of the raucous "Mr. Soul," the gentle "I Am a Child," the ambitious "Broken Arrow," and the breathtakingly pretty "Expecting to Fly." They're all on this 12-song overview, a suitable option for anyone who isn't up to stocking up on the entire catalog. --Steven Stolder

Side One:

"For What It's Worth" (Stills) – 2:37
Recorded December 5, 1966, Columbia Studios, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Stephen Stills. Bass: Bruce Palmer. Producers: Charles Green and Brian Stone. Running time incorrectly listed on the album's cover as 3:00.
"Mr. Soul" (Young) – 2:35
Recorded April 4, 1967. Lead vocal: Neil Young. Bass: Bruce Palmer.
"Sit Down I Think I Love You" (Stills) – 2:30
Recorded August 1966, Gold Star Studios, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Stephen Stills. Bass: Bruce Palmer. Producers: Charles Green and Brian Stone.
"Kind Woman" (Furay) – 4:10
Recorded February-March 6, 1968, Atlantic Studios, New York City & Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Richie Furay. Bass: Jim Messina. Producer: Jim Messina.
"Bluebird" (Stills) – 4:28
Recorded April 8, 1967, Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Stephen Stills. Bass: Bobby West
"On the Way Home" (Young) – 2:25
Recorded November 15-December 13, 1967, Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Richie Furay. Bass: Bruce Palmer.

Side Two:

"Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing" (Young) – 3:26
Recorded July 18, 1966, Gold Star Studios, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Richie Furay. Bass: Bruce Palmer. Producers: Charles Green and Brian Stone.
"Broken Arrow" (Young) – 6:13
Recorded August 25 & September 5-18, 1967, Columbia Recording Studios & Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Neil Young. Bass: Bruce Palmer.
"Rock and Roll Woman" (Stills) – 2:44
Recorded June 22, August 8 & October 8, 1967, Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Stephen Stills. Rhythm guitar: Jim Fielder. Bass: Bruce Palmer.
"I Am a Child" (Young) – 2:15
Recorded February 5, 1968, Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Neil Young. Bass: Gary Marker. Producer: Jim Messina.
"Go and Say Goodbye" (Stills) – 2:19
Recorded July 18, 1966, Gold Star Studios, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Stephen Stills. Bass: Bruce Palmer. Producers: Charles Green and Brian Stone.
"Expecting to Fly" (Young)– 3:39
Recorded May 6, 1967, Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Neil Young. Arrangement: Jack Nitzsche. Note: Neil Young is the only member of the group who appears on this recording.

51O1Orzx9RL.jpg

The "Chirping" Crickets -- CD

Buddy Holly

1957/2004 Brunswick/MCA

Plays like a greatest hits album, April 14, 2004
By hyperbolium (Earth, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Chirping Crickets (Audio CD)

Much like Chuck Berry's first album ("After School Session"), Buddy Holly's first full-length is more a document of his early recording sessions (and the hit singles that they spawned) than a concerted effort to make a cohesive album-length statement. Not exactly surprising a full decade before The Beatles conceptualized Sgt. Pepper's. But also like Berry's debut, this collection of song presents an album of snapshots that document the genesis of rock 'n' roll.

The album's original dozen tracks plays almost like a greatest hits collection, with signature gems like "Oh Boy!" "Not Fade Away," "Maybe Baby," "That'll be the Day" testifying to rock 'n' roll immortality. Holly's ringing guitar and hiccupping vocals drew from a different sensibility than did Berry's blues-tinged playing, but the backbeat and optimism of the lyrics (even the heartbreak suggested it was great to be a teenager ready to fall in love again) brought them together under the rock 'n' roll banner. Holly and The Crickets' simple arrangements reveal the power of Holly's songwriting - his ability to craft a lyrical and melodic hook that is unforgettable. The vocal stutter of "Oh Boy!", the rhythm guitar solo of "Not Fade Away," and the peeling guitar intro of "That'll Be the Day" are just a few of Holly's trademarks.

The album's non-hit tracks offer some lesser-known delights. "An Empty Cup (And a Broken Date)," co-written with Roy Orbison, offers a helping of disappointment and a sweet guitar break, and a cover of Chuck Willis' "It's Too Late" is the perfect stage for Holly's heartbroken, atmospherically echoed crooning. Amazingly, the former was recorded in a hotel room, on a portable tape recorder, along with the bouncy flip-side (to "Maybe Baby"), "Tell Me How," and the bass-heavy nursery rhyme "Rock Me Baby." The original flip-side to "That'll Be the Day," "I'm Looking For Someone to Love," is rockin' Buddy Holly at his finest, with two fine rockabilly styled guitar breaks! Little Richard's "Send Me Some Lovin'" fits Holly's hiccupping style perfectly, resulting in a stroll-tempo cross between rock and doo-wop.

Geffen's 2004 reissue adds Holly and the Cricket's first two post-album singles, the memorable "Think it Over" and "It's So Easy," and their less memorable B-sides, "Fool's Paradise" and "Lonesome Tears." They're a great coda to an album that was already one of rock's founding documents.

Side 1

"Oh, Boy!" (Norman Petty, Bill Tilghman, Sonny West) – 2:07
"Not Fade Away" (Buddy Holly, Petty) – 2:21
"You've Got Love" (Roy Orbison, Johnny Wilson, Petty) – 2:05
"Maybe Baby" (Holly, Petty) – 2:01
"It's Too Late" (Chuck Willis) – 2:22
"Tell Me How" (Jerry Allison, Holly, Petty) – 1:58

Side 2

"That'll Be the Day" (Allison, Holly, Petty) – 2:14
"I'm Looking for Someone to Love" (Holly, Petty) – 1:56
"An Empty Cup (And a Broken Date)" (Orbison, Petty) – 2:11
"Send Me Some Lovin'" (John Marascalco, Leo Price) – 2:33
"Last Night" (Joe B. Mauldin, Petty) – 1:53
"Rock Me My Baby" (Susan Heather, Shorty Long) – 1:47

1287488459_500front.jpg

Rare Genius - The Undiscovered Masters -- CD :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Ray Charles

2010 Concord Records

A real Ray Charles album, October 26, 2010
By T. Fisher - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER) (VINE VOICE)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Rare Genius: The Undiscovered Masters (MP3 Download)

This album includes 10 previously unreleased songs from the Ray Charles vault, polished up for release by producer John Burk, who also produced Ray Charles' last album, "Genius Loves Company". It could easily have deteriorated into a farce -- a collection of half-finished songs and scratchy demos slapped onto a disc to keep the money machine alive.

Happily, this is not the case. These tunes are produced with care, and their feel is true to Ray Charles' legacy, even though many have been fleshed out with the help of musicians in the studio today. Charles recorded the songs over three decades, from the 1970s to the 1990s. Despite that, the album has a satisfying cohesiveness, thanks no doubt to the producer and engineers. It felt like listening to a real Ray Charles album that stands up to much of his best work.

The instrumentation is polished, and includes plenty of both strings and horns. The style frequently dances a line between R&B and an adult compemporary feel -- the way that Ray Charles really pulled off consistently well.

Stand-outs for me included "Wheel of Fortune", which recalled for me some of the atmospheres of Charles' country and western period. I also loved "There'll Be Some Changes Made", a song I've enjoyed since it was featured in the 1979 Bob Fosse film "All That Jazz". Of course, this slower, soulful version is very different.

"I'm Gonna Keep on Singin'," from the mid-1900s, starts out with a funkadelic bass line leading into ethereal electric piano and dreamy guitar accompaniment. Backup female singers recall the Raelettes, as Charles riffs vocally in prose over the beat. Classic.

The final song, "Why Me Lord?" by Kris Kristofferson, is fantastic, but kind of an odd man out -- a duet with Johnny Cash in which Cash sings the lead vocal. Hearing these two singing together "Help me Jesus, my soul's in your hands" is moving, given that this recording is being released posthumously for both of them.

This album is a posthumous collection of re-engineered, overdubbed recordings. Sounds awful, doesn't it? But I'm glad I put aside my misgivings and gave it a shot. Very satisfying. Especially at the $3.99 MP3 Daily Deal price on October 26, 2010, it is a great bargain as well. The biggest problem is the relatively short 41-minute total run time. Highly recommended.

"Love's Gonna Bite You Back" – 3:54
"It Hurts To Be In Love" (Dixson, Toombs) – 4:53
"Wheel Of Fortune" (Benjamin, Weiss) – 4:00
"I'm Gonna Keep On Singin'" – 5:30
"There'll Be Some Changes Made" (Blackstone, Overstreet) – 4:04
"Isn't It Wonderful" (Taylor, Webster) – 4:13
"I Don't Want No One But You" – 4:20
"A Little Bitty Tear" (Cochran) – 3:35
"She's Gone" – 3:10
"Why Me Lord?" (Kristofferson) – 3:57

3d7c729fd7a03e5656e1e010.L.jpg

Abbey Road -- CD

The Beatles

1969/1990 Apple/Capitol Records

Amazon.com essential recording

The Beatles' last days as a band were as productive as any major pop phenomenon that was about to split. After recording the ragged-but-right Let It Be, the group held on for this ambitious effort, an album that was to become their best-selling. Though all four contribute to the first side's writing, John Lennon's hard-rocking, "Come Together" and "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" make the strongest impression. A series of song fragments edited together in suite form dominates side two; its portentous, touching, official close ("Golden Slumbers"/"Carry That Weight"/"The End") is nicely undercut, in typical Beatles fashion, by Paul McCartney's cheeky "Her Majesty," which follows. --Rickey Wright

All songs written and composed by Lennon/McCartney, except where noted.

Side one
No. Title Lead vocals Length
1. "Come Together" Lennon 4:20
2. "Something" (Harrison) Harrison 3:03
3. "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" McCartney 3:27
4. "Oh! Darling" McCartney 3:26
5. "Octopus's Garden" (Starkey) Starr 2:51
6. "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" Lennon 7:47

Side two
No. Title Lead vocals Length
1. "Here Comes the Sun" (Harrison) Harrison 3:05
2. "Because" Lennon, McCartney and Harrison 2:45
3. "You Never Give Me Your Money" McCartney 4:02
4. "Sun King" Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison 2:26
5. "Mean Mr. Mustard" Lennon 1:06
6. "Polythene Pam" Lennon 1:12
7. "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window" McCartney 1:57
8. "Golden Slumbers" McCartney 1:31
9. "Carry That Weight" McCartney with Lennon, Harrison and Starr 1:36
10. "The End" McCartney 2:05
11. "Her Majesty" McCartney 0:23

51BTmY2pqOL.jpg

Live In America 2 CD Box Set

Neil Diamond

1994 Columbia Records

He's still got it..., March 3, 2005
By R. Cusick "drumz2006" (Norwood, MA United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Live in America (Audio CD)

Yes, I am going to defend this cd. Seems like everyone on here trashes it. I have Gold, Hot August Night 1+2, and while this isn't as good as those; it's not as bad as everyone claims it to be. For a sixty year old, Neil can still sing. He's a little more gravily at times, but his energy makes up for that. The collection of songs is great. He does a lot of his older, upbeat tunes. I bought this on Amazon used for $2! For this price, how can you not afford to give it a chance?
Track Listing

DISC 1:

1. America
2. Hello Again
3. Kentucky Woman
4. You Got to Me
5. Cherry, Cherry
6. I'm a Believer
7. Sweet Caroline
8. Love on the Rocks
9. Hooked on the Memory of You
10. Lady Oh
11. Beautiful Noise
12. Play Me
13. Up on the Roof
14. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
15. River Deep, Mountain High
16. I (Who Have Nothing)

DISC 2:

1. Missa
2. Soolaimon
3. Holly Holy
4. And the Grass Won't Pay No Mind
5. You Don't Bring Me Flowers
6. September Morn'
7. Havah Nagila
8. Solitary Man
9. Red, Red Wine
10. Song Sung Blue
11. Forever in Blue Jeans
12. Heartlight
13. Cracklin' Rosie
14. I Am...I Said
15. Crunchy Granola Suite
16. Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show

127302f.jpg

Take It From The Top -- CD

Bob James Trio

2004 Tappan Zee/Koch Records

Amazon.com

Pianist/composer Bob James made his fame as top-selling smooth jazz pioneer and his theme song to the TV show Taxi is one of the most familiar melodies in syndication. But his roots are in straight-ahead jazz. On this CD with bassist James Genus and drummer Billy Kilson, James pays tribute to his piano heroes and drops some surprises into the mix. His treatment of Nat "King" Cole's "Straighten Up and Fly Right," is driven by hip-hop rimshots, and Mal Waldron's classic ballad "Soul Eyes" is syncopated with a Latin lilt. James's most impressive act of syncopated subversion is his take on the Petula Clark hit "Downtown." Somehow Bob James manages to keep it smooth and jazzy. --Eugene Holley, Jr.

Track listing

1. Billy Boy
2. Straighten Up and Fly Right
3. Downtown
4. Tenderly
5. Nardis
6. Poinciana
7. Caravan
8. Soul Eyes
9. Django

51YCtn8tpKL.jpg

The Deep End -- CD

Spyro Gyra

2004 Heads Up Records

A contemporary jazz reference, February 27, 2005
By Ricardo Carreon Quinones "http://ricardosblog... (Sao Paulo, Brazil) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Deep End (Audio CD)

Spyro Gyra has managed to produce a very beautiful, creative and powerful album in "Deep End". The music has great groves, beautiful mellodies, skillfull instrumentation, inspired guitar and sax solos and the power of putting it all together in such a way that its energy really lifts your spirit up.

Spyro Gyra's "Deep End" is great music to listen to or to use as an elegant background for your activities. Please do not confuse this great band and its meaningful music with the many bland and boring artists that are smooth jazz wannabies. This is great contemporary jazz -- it comes across smooth, but in this case that is not by any means a way to hide mediocre musicmanship.

If you would like to try a few tracks I recommend you listen to Monsoon and The Crossing, both will give you a great idea of what to expect here. Enjoy.

"Summer Fling" (Jeremy Wall) - 4:58
"Eastlake Shuffle" (Julio Fernandez) - 5:02
"Monsoon" (Jay Beckenstein) - 7:00
"As You Wish" (Jay Beckenstein) - 4:36
"Joburg Jam" (Jay Beckenstein) - 6:10
"The Crossing" (Julio Fernandez) - 7:17
"Wiggle Room" (Scott Ambush) - 6:48
"Wind Warriors" (Tom Schuman) - 6:15
"In Your Arms" (Tom Schuman) - 4:46
"Chippewa Street" (Jay Beckenstein) - 5:46
"Beyond the Rain" (Scott Ambush) - 6:09

Martini Anyone? Sponsored by Pottery Barn....
emotion-46.gif
:handgestures-thumbup:

41J4WTKQZKL.jpg

Pottery Barn - Martini Lounge -- CD

Various Great Artists

1996 EMI/Capitol Special Markets

Martini Lounge: Pottery Barn, July 16, 2007
By Karen R. Clemons (Somerset, Sandys Bermuda) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Pottery Barn: Martini Lounge (Audio CD)

Martini Lounge is a time machine that transports you by sound. Kick off the sandals in your capris while sipping the 'Tini of your choice. Loosen up that necktie and unbutton your shirt. This is a real treat for those who always wanted to know what hip and cool feels like. Remember your Mom and Dad's cocktail party? Don't you think it's time to throw one of your own?

Track List:

1. Millionaire's Holiday - Combustible Edison
2. Come On-A My House - Rosemary Clooney
3. The Theme from Route 66 - Nelson Riddle & His Orchestra
4. Ain't That a Kick in the Head - Dean Martin
5. Fascinating Rhythm - Don Ralke & His Orchestra
6. The Silencers - Vikki Carr
7. Whisper - Morphine
8. Playboy's Theme - Cy Coleman
9. Fever - Peggy Lee
10. Begin the Beguine - Esquivel
11. You'd Be So Nice to Come Home to - Julie London