• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Everything-But-The-Girl-The-Languag.jpg

The Language Of Life -- CD

Everything But The Girl

1990 Atlantic Records

Amazon.com

By the time of The Language of Life, Everything but the Girl had reached a point in their career where they could get accomplished jazz musicians Joe Sample, Michael Brecker, and Stan Getz to play on their album and not have it perceived as an affectation: the duo had already made five albums that showcased Ben Watt's ability to write a classic melody and Tracey Thorn's silky vocals. In working with producer Tommy Lipuma, they made an album of superficially perfect love songs--beautiful tunes all, but overproduced to the point where the feelings behind them are only rarely glimpsed. There are some great songs, though--"The Road," "Driving," "Me and Bobby D," "Imagining America" are some of the best in EBTG's distinguished catalog--and they manage to make Language a worthy album despite the shortcomings. Check out EBTG's Acoustic for more nuanced versions of "Driving" and "Me and Bobby D." --Randy Silver

All tracks composed by Ben Watt; except where indicated

"Driving"
"Get Back Together"
"Meet Me in the Morning" (Watt, Tracey Thorn)
"Me and Bobby D" (Watt, Tracey Thorn)
"The Language of Life" (Watt, Tracey Thorn)
"Take Me" (Cecil Womack, Linda Womack)
"Imagining America"
"Letting Love Go"
"My Baby Don't Love Me"
"The Road"

51fqnC6yREL._SS500_.jpg

Directions In Music - Live at Massey Hall -- CD
Celebrating Miles Davis & John Coltrane

Herbie Hancock - Michael Brecker - Roy Hargrove

2002 Verve Records

Amazon.com

Directions in Music marks Herbie Hancock's all-star tribute to Miles Davis and John Coltrane. It's clearly a chance for Hancock to return once again to his creative roots, when he was in Davis's great quintet of the mid-'60s, and he has excellent companions for the journey in Michael Brecker and Roy Hargrove, the tenor saxophonist and trumpeter who clearly demonstrate their inspiration in Coltrane and Miles. The CD begins with a reprise of Hancock's "Sorcerer" from his Miles period, with bassist John Patitucci and drummer Brian Blade, who were so crucial a part of Wayne Shorter's Footprints Live, and prove themselves just as important here. Blade is especially driving, pressing Hancock and the horns to complex creative dialogue. The synthesis of "So What/Impressions," already closely linked tunes, benefits from the input of some fresh creative thinking, while Brecker's long cadenza on "Naima" is an effective invocation of Coltrane's intrepid virtuosity. Over 78 minutes in length, this is energetic, sometimes brilliant music, in many ways resembling Hancock's own classic, Maiden Voyage. --Stuart Broomer

"The Sorcerer" (Herbie Hancock) – 8:53
"The Poet" (Roy Hargrove) – 6:35
"So What"/"Impressions" (Miles Davis)/(John Coltrane) – 12:51
"Misstery" (Michael Brecker, Hancock, Hargrove) – 8:16
"Naima" (Coltrane) – 7:29
"Transition" (Coltrane) – 10:26
"My Ship" (Ira Gershwin, Kurt Weill) – 8:40
"D Trane" (Brecker) – 15:09

Herbie Hancock — piano
Michael Brecker — tenor saxophone
Roy Hargrove — trumpet, flugelhorn
John Patitucci — double bass
Brian Blade — drums

This is Good, really good........ :bow-blue:

1287488459_500front.jpg

Rare Genius - The Undiscovered Masters -- CD

Ray Charles

2010 Concord Music

Editorial Reviews

Concord Records is celebrating the 80th birthday of the legendary Ray Charles with a special gift for his legions of fans: Rare Genius: The Undiscovered Masters. This treasure trove of newly discovered recordings, highlighted by a duet with fellow icon Johnny Cash, will become available on October 26th, 2010.

Culled from four decades worth of demos and other previously unreleased material, Rare Genius showcases the remarkable artistic vision, stylistic range and emotionally rich vocals that crafted Charles enduring legacy. Listening to the ten gems from the '70s, '80s and '90s that comprise this CD, fans will have no trouble envisioning the late singer rocking back and forth at the piano as he effortlessly segues between R&B/soul, pop, country and gospel. "Ray would always get inside the meaning of a lyric and make the listener believe every word," says Concord Music Group Chief Creative Officer, John Burk. "His vocals carried incredible emotion and intensity, even on demo tapes. What we have here with Rare Genius is on par with some of his greatest works."

And that's crystal clear right from the album's sparkling opener, "Love's Gonna Bite You Back." The March 1980 session track features an upbeat horn arrangement behind what Rare Genius liner notes author Bill Dahl calls "a Charles vocal that's a signature mixture of sandpaper grit and heavenly goodness." Up next is the stunning ballad "It Hurts to Be in Love," which underscores the album's main thematic focus and one of Charles' favorite subjects: the ups and down of romance. Another compelling standout is the gospel-stirred Charles and Cash duet on Kris Kristofferson's "Why Me, Lord?" Discovered in the Sony vaults, the song was produced by Billy Sherrill in Nashville and recorded in 1981 for an anticipated release on a CBS album. For unknown reasons, that didn't come to pass. What's more important, however, is the emotional charge you get listening to these two powerful voices come together in this spirited and inspired pairing. Except for "Lord," the nine other Rare Genius tracks including the soul-drenched "I Don't Want No One But You," a blues-infused cover of songwriter Hank Cochran's country classic "A Little Bitty Tear" and the joyous "I'm Gonna Keep on Singin'" were found in the vault at Charles' R.P.M. International Studios in Los Angeles. Adding a little sweetening to some of the sparse, stripped-down tracks was a team of top-notch musicians and artists: guitarists Keb' Mo' and George Doering, organist Bobby Sparks, trumpeter Gray Grant, trombonist Alan Kaplan, bassists Trey Henry and Chuck Berghofer, drummers Gregg Field and Ray Brinker and background vocalist Eric Benet.

As with its Concord predecessor, 2004's Grammy-winning Album of the Year Genius Loves Company, Rare Genius: The Undiscovered Masters is another fitting tribute to Charles, who would have turned 80 on September 23, 2010. It's a fresh, vibrant reaffirmation of the music icon's unparalleled artistry and legacy.

"Love's Gonna Bite You Back" – 3:54
"It Hurts To Be In Love" (Dixson, Toombs) – 4:53
"Wheel Of Fortune" (Benjamin, Weiss) – 4:00
"I'm Gonna Keep On Singin'" – 5:30
"There'll Be Some Changes Made" (Blackstone, Overstreet) – 4:04
"Isn't It Wonderful" (Taylor, Webster) – 4:13
"I Don't Want No One But You" – 4:20
"A Little Bitty Tear" (Cochran) – 3:35
"She's Gone" – 3:10
"Why Me Lord?" (Kristofferson) – 3:57

My last one for the evening...

51Py%2ByCb7uL.jpg

Dark Dear Heart -- CD

Holly Cole

1997 Blue Note Records

Music with sincerity, depth and great jazz roots, September 25, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Dark Dear Heart (Audio CD)

It took A LOT of doing, but I first heard "Make It Go Away" on a CBS television show. But tracking it down was worth it because the Cd "Dark Dear Heart" is pretty different from any other I own. If you like Diana Krall, Indigo Girls, Shawn Colvin, you will like Holly Cole. I really recommend this CD!

"I've Just Seen a Face" (John Lennon, Paul McCartney) - 3:28
"Make It Go Away" (Davis, Harding) - 4:00
"Onion Girl" (Harding, Hull) - 4:05
"Dark, Dear Heart" (OHara) - 4:00
"You Want More" (Crow, Trott) - 4:32
"Timbuktu" (Davis, Jordan) - 3:50
"World Seems to Come and Go" (Piltch, White) - 5:16
"River" (Joni Mitchell) - 4:44
"Hold On" (Batteau, Cody, Klein) - 4:33
"Brighter Lonely Day (Run, Run, Run)" (OHara) - 4:53
"I Told Him That My Dog Wouldn't Run" (Larkin) - 4:21
"All the Pretty Little Horses" (Traditional) - 4:29

Today's work truck music...

51dXfSoORRL.jpg

Live In Texas -- CD

Lyle Lovett

1999 MCA Records

Amazon.com

One decade's oddity is the next decade's institution. Or at least that's been the case with Lyle Lovett. The Lone Star eccentric emerged in the 1980s ostensibly as a country artist, but it became clear pretty quickly that a Southern accent and a pair of cowboy boots does not a Nashville favorite make. In time, however, Lovett's free-range brand of swing, blues, gospel, folk, and whatever has been embraced by a coterie of fans who have as little interest in genres as their hero. Live in Texas is something of a valentine to them--as well as an in-concert 13-year career summary for the uninitiated. Rife with live staples ("That's Right," "If I Had a Boat," "She's No Lady," and "North Dakota," which features an appearance by Rickie Lee Jones), the 14-track showcase certifies what loyalists have known for years: Lovett is one of the best bandleaders around. He and his crack crew get big and get small as needed, punching up uptempo numbers with brass or stripping down to the bare essentials for ballads. Taking it all in, one can't help concluding there's absolutely nothing odd about that. --Steven Stolder

All songs composed by Lyle Lovett except as indicated.

"Penguins" – 2:35
"I've Been to Memphis" – 4:35
"That's Right (You're Not from Texas)" (Lovett, Ramsey, Rogers) – 5:06
"Nobody Knows Me" – 3:07
"If I Had a Boat" – 3:19
"North Dakota" featuring Rickie Lee Jones (Lovett, Ramsey) – 6:28
"She's No Lady" – 3:43
"Here I Am" – 4:16
"What Do You Do?" – 2:57
"Wild Women Don't Get the Blues" (Cox) – 4:54
"M-O-N-E-Y" (Cox) – 3:29
"You Can't Resist It" – 5:36
"Church" – 5:40
"Closing Time" – 4:34

Dennie said:

Ok Dennie, you've posted this enough times I figured I'd better get it and try it out. Pretty nice! Not sure on the first listening whether I like it as much as Alison Krauss or Nickel Creek, but yeah she's good. On my second time through it now... :music-listening:

Thanks for posting the Santana "spirits dancing in the flesh," heeman.

I've been looking for some really good stuff by him recently, but I'm not at all familiar with
which are his best releases.

putting that on my list for my next visit to Amazon.

:handgestures-thumbup:

Topper, that is what's great about this thread!!

Try this one also, it is light and airy also.........

SantanaMilagroAlbum.jpg

517%2BJqr6CTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I can't seem to put this album down. I love Pete's stuff. "Turn of the Century" is my favorite tune off this album. This album is the second in Pete's Day In The Life trilogy, the first being musicforthemorningafter and Nightcrawler being the third (which I don't have....yet).

Some good stuff!

PaulyT said:
Dennie said:

Ok Dennie, you've posted this enough times I figured I'd better get it and try it out. Pretty nice! Not sure on the first listening whether I like it as much as Alison Krauss or Nickel Creek, but yeah she's good. On my second time through it now... :music-listening:
Hey Pauly, Great Dane turned me on to her! The more I listened to her, the more I liked her. She is different from Alison and Nickel Creek, as she is more "Folk/Roots" Music than Bluegrass. But whatever you want to call it, it is good music!

Keep us posted,

Dennie

I'm listening to a bunch of my Teenage Fanclub B-Sides tonight.

Also, I'm realizing that it's a bit odd that I never bought a CD reissue of their sub-pop album "The King" back when it was affordable. Granted, it was a quickly recorded album that is total crap (from the little bit that I've heard) that was merely designed to fulfill an earlier record contract before moving to the major labels; but it's nonetheless odd to have so many B-Sides and yet not have "The King".

32d2619009a07173fe226110.L.jpg

Concert For George - Soundtrack -- 2 CD Set

Various Artists

2003 Oops/Warner Strategic Marketing

Recorded at the Royal Albert Hall on 29 November 2002 – the first anniversary of Harrison's death – the performance features a wealth of talents who knew Harrison well. Eric Clapton, one of Harrison's closest friends, is not only a performer but the musical director of the show. Representing Indian music, an important influence on Harrison's sound, is Ravi Shankar and his daughter Anoushka Shankar. Among Harrison's rock and roll cohorts are Jeff Lynne, Gary Brooker, Joe Brown, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Billy Preston and Harrison's two former bandmates, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr.

All songs written by George Harrison, except where noted.
Disc one

"Sarve Shaam" (Ravi Shankar) – 3:18
"Your Eyes (Sitar Solo)" (Ravi Shankar), performed by Anoushka Shankar – 8:23
"The Inner Light", performed by Jeff Lynne, Dhani Harrison and Anoushka Shankar – 3:02
Originally the B-side to The Beatles' "Lady Madonna" in 1968
"Arpan" (Ravi Shankar), conducted by Anoushka Shankar – 23:02

Disc two

"I Want to Tell You", performed by Jeff Lynne – 2:53
Originally heard on The Beatles' 1966 album Revolver
"If I Needed Someone", performed by Eric Clapton – 2:29
Originally heard on The Beatles' 1965 album Rubber Soul
"Old Brown Shoe", performed by Gary Brooker – 3:48
Originally the B-side to The Beatles' "The Ballad of John and Yoko" in 1969
"Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)", performed by Jeff Lynne – 3:29
Originally heard on Harrison's 1973 album Living in the Material World
"Beware of Darkness", performed by Eric Clapton – 4:01
Originally heard on Harrison's 1970 album All Things Must Pass
"Here Comes the Sun", performed by Joe Brown – 3:09
Originally heard on The Beatles' 1969 album Abbey Road
"That's the Way It Goes", performed by Joe Brown – 3:40
Originally heard on Harrison's 1982 album Gone Troppo
"Taxman", performed by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers – 3:11
Originally heard on The Beatles' 1966 album Revolver
"I Need You", performed by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers – 3:00
Originally heard on The Beatles' 1965 album Help!
"Handle With Care" (Harrison, Bob Dylan, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, Roy Orbison), performed by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers with Jeff Lynne and Dhani Harrison – 3:27
Originally heard on Traveling Wilburys' 1988 album Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1
"Isn't It a Pity", performed by Billy Preston – 6:58
"Photograph" (Harrison, Richard Starkey), performed by Ringo Starr – 3:57
Originally heard on Ringo Starr's 1973 album Ringo
"Honey Don't" (Carl Perkins), performed by Ringo Starr – 3:04
Originally heard on The Beatles' 1964 album Beatles for Sale
"For You Blue", performed by Paul McCartney – 3:05
Originally heard on The Beatles' 1970 album Let It Be
"Something", performed by Paul McCartney and Eric Clapton – 4:26
Originally heard on The Beatles' 1969 album Abbey Road
"All Things Must Pass", performed by Paul McCartney – 3:33
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps", performed by Paul McCartney and Eric Clapton – 5:57
Originally heard on The Beatles' 1968 double album The Beatles
"My Sweet Lord", performed by Billy Preston – 5:03
"Wah-Wah", performed by Eric Clapton and Band – 6:06
"I'll See You in My Dreams" (Isham Jones, Gus Kahn), performed by Joe Brown – 4:02

6197vo9kC-L.jpg

The Traveling Wilburys Collection -- Remastered Deluxe Edition 2 CD/DVD

The Traveling Wilburys

2007 Rhino Records

Amazon.com

The Traveling Wilburys were one of the few supergroups that lived up to their promise, because they didn't try to. Things started inauspiciously when George Harrison, needing a B-side for a 1988 single, called in friends Jeff Lynne, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, and Roy Orbison for assistance. Two albums later--the second without Orbison, who had passed away shortly after the first was released--the loose-knit collective had recorded material that was as durable, and occasionally eclipsed, the participants' legendary solo work. The Wilburys succeeded due to a genial and contagious camaraderie that permeates both discs. What could have been a train wreck of ego clashes instead resulted in a frothy meeting of the minds. These guys are having a blast, trading lead vocals and harmonies on energetic folk-rock, quirky rockabilly, and Beatlesque pop that shimmers with the respect and esteem the members clearly hold for each other. Harrison and Lynne's rather slick production polishes off edges that might better have been left unvarnished, but there's no denying the loosey-goosey craftsmanship at work in tunes such as "Handle with Care," "End of the Line," and a striking Orbison performance on "Not Alone Anymore" that ranks with any of his finest. Both albums were million-sellers, but oddly went out of print for about a decade until Rhino resurrected them, adding two rare tracks per disc as well as a DVD of music videos and a band documentary. The resulting package is a comprehensive overview of a once--well, twice--in-a-lifetime project that, especially after Harrison's passing, will never be repeated. --Hal Horowitz

Disc one: Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1

All songs written by the Traveling Wilburys.

"Handle with Care" – 3:20
"Dirty World" – 3:30
"Rattled" – 3:00
"Last Night" – 3:48
"Not Alone Any More" – 3:24
"Congratulations" – 3:30
"Heading for the Light" – 3:37
"Margarita" – 3:15
"Tweeter and the Monkey Man" – 5:30
"End of the Line" – 3:30
"Maxine" – 2:49
Previously unreleased bonus track, with additional backing vocals by Jeff Lynne and Dhani Harrison and a guitar solo by Jeff Lynne added in 2007.
"Like a Ship" – 3:30
Previously unreleased bonus track, with additional backing vocals by Jeff Lynne and Dhani Harrison and a guitar solo by Dhani Harrison added in 2007.

Disc two: DVD

The True History of the Traveling Wilburys documentary - 24 minutes
"Handle With Care" (video)
"End of the Line" (video)
"She's My Baby" (video)
"Inside Out" (video)
"Wilbury Twist" (video)

Disc three: Traveling Wilburys Vol. 3

All songs written by the Traveling Wilburys, except where noted.

"She's My Baby" – 3:14
"Inside Out" – 3:36
"If You Belonged To Me" – 3:13
"Devil's Been Busy" – 3:18
"7 Deadly Sins" – 3:18
"Poor House" – 3:17
"Where Were You Last Night?" – 3:03
"Cool Dry Place" – 3:37
"New Blue Moon" – 3:21
"You Took My Breath Away" – 3:18
"Wilbury Twist" – 2:56
"Nobody's Child" (Cy Coben, Mel Foree) – 3:28
Bonus track, previously released on Nobody's Child: Romanian Angel Appeal.
"Runaway" (Del Shannon, Max D. Crook) – 2:30
Bonus track, originally released as the B-side to "She's My Baby" in the UK. Remixed, with a new clavioline solo replacing the original guitar/harmonica tracks recorded in 1990.

My last one for the evening....

a2e3f0cdd7a04fd4e92d7110.L.jpg

Prairie Wind -- CD

Neil Young

2005 Reprise Records

Amazon.com

An artist for all musical seasons, Neil Young returns to autumnal harvest mode on Prairie Wind, with homespun material and sing-song melodies that renew the spirit of some of his most popular releases. Yet the mood here is darker in its maturity than on Harvest and Harvest Moon--the previous releases in what now sounds like a trilogy--and the arrangements have greater range and aural depth, with Wayne Jackson of the soulful Memphis Horns, the Fisk University Jubilee Singers gospel choir, and a string section employed to striking effect. This is a song cycle of dreams, memories, family ties, and the passage of time--what is lost and what endures. The elliptical, epic "No Wonder," with its evocation of 9/11, ranks with the most ambitious songs of Young's career, while "Falling Off the Face of the Earth," "It's a Dream," and the bluesy title cut combine childlike innocence with unsettling experience. Spooner Oldham's church keyboards and coproducer Ben Keith's steel guitar reinforce the sound's sturdy simplicity. Young has released a lot of albums in different musical styles, but Prairie Wind feels like a homecoming, and ranks with his very best. --Don McLeese

All songs written by Neil Young, and ©2005 Silver Fiddle Music (ASCAP)

"The Painter" – 4:36
"No Wonder" – 5:45
"Falling Off the Face of the Earth" – 3:35
"Far From Home" – 3:47
"It's a Dream" – 6:31
"Prairie Wind" – 7:34
"Here for You" – 4:32
"This Old Guitar" – 5:32
"He Was the King" – 6:08
"When God Made Me" – 4:05

Bonnie Raitt - Longing In Their Hearts

Track listing

1."Love Sneakin' up on You" (Little Jimmy Scott, Tom Snow) – 3:41
2."Longing in Their Hearts" (Michael O'Keefe, Raitt) – 4:48
3."You" (John Shanks, Bob Thiele, Tonio K.) – 4:27
4."Cool, Clear Water" (Raitt) – 5:27
5."Circle Dance" (Raitt) – 4:11
6."I Sho Do" (Billy Always, Mabon "Teenie" Hodges) – 3:38
7."Dimming of the Day" (Richard Thompson) – 3:39
8."Feeling of Falling" (Raitt) – 6:17
9."Steal Your Heart Away" (Paul Brady) – 5:44
10."Storm Warning" (Terry Britten, Lea Maalfrid) – 4:31
11."Hell to Pay" (Raitt) – 4:03
12."Shadow of Doubt" (Gary Nicholson) – 4:26

BonnieRaittNickofTime.jpg

Track listing

1."Nick of Time" (Raitt) – 3:52
2."Thing Called Love" (John Hiatt) – 3:52
3."Love Letter" (Bonnie Hayes) – 4:04
4."Cry on My Shoulder" (Michael Ruff) – 3:44
5."Real Man" (Jerry Lynn Williams) – 4:27
6."Nobody's Girl" (Larry John McNally) – 3:14
7."Have A Heart" (Bonnie Hayes) – 4:50
8."Too Soon to Tell" (Rory Michael Bourke, Mike Reid) – 3:45
9."I Will Not Be Denied" (Jerry Lynn Williams) – 4:55
10."I Ain't Gonna Let You Break My Heart Again" (David Lasley, Julie Lasley) – 2:38
11."The Road's My Middle Name" (Raitt) – 3:31

If you're familiar with Chuck Mangione's "Feel So Good" album, this is the Guitarist...

b0cfd250fca076e592964010.L.jpg

Flying Colors -- CD

Grant Geisman

1991 Bluemoon Records

What surely sets Grant Geissman apart from other acoustic guitar soloists in contemporary jazzdom is his impeccably mellifluous composing skills and his desire to stretch himself into more challenging sub genres. While never straying too far from his trademark David Benoit like peppiness, Flying Colors—which represents the guitarist's commercial peak on early smooth jazz radio-displays mouth-watering flamenco and brassy Latin tinges. A musically logical follow up to the similarly vibrant Take Another Look, Geissman's playing is enhanced by the positive support of keyboardists Gordon Goodwin and Emil Palame and saxophonist Sam Riney. Of special note (and the best cut) is Geissman's ode to his youth, "Places I've Been," which features Byrd-like riffs, Beatle-esque sitar and orchestrated, "Eleanor Rigby" touches.

- Jonathan Widran

Song List

Flying Colors (Geissman/Moffitt) 4:50
Tricks of the Trade (Geissman/Rawlins) 4:06
Long Goodbye (Geissman/Curiale) 4:08
Barcelona (Geissman) 4:56
Places I've Been (Geissman) 5:00
El Cabong Rides Again (Geissman) 4:16
Neon Nights (Geissman/Palame) 4:38
Hang Time (Geissman/Steelman) 3:53
Dancing on the Edge (Geissman/Palame) 5:00
Where the Heart Is (Geissman) 5:05