• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

643781b0c8a016a4c4ac8110.L.jpg

Everything I Love -- CD :handgestures-thumbup: :eusa-clap:

Eliane Elias

2000 Blue Note Records

Amazon.com

Pianist and singer Elaine Elias's Everything I Love, a foray into the classic American songbook, is a departure for the Brazilian-born pianist, whose previous releases have mostly covered the music of her native country (as on the excellent Eliane Elias Sings Jobim). But Elias sounds anything but out of place, bringing a refreshing sense of discovery and excitement to material that can sound a little too well worn in less-skilled hands. While Elias raises her warm and understated voice on a few tracks, this is mostly a piano-trio album that rotates between the veteran team of bassist Marc Johnson and drummer Jack DeJohnette and the younger talents of bassist Christian McBride and drummer Carl Allen. There are moments where the two rhythm sections seem to divide into a neat old-guard and new-guard approach--like when McBride and Allen get funky on Elias's "Bowing to Bud"--but it's actually the tracks with Johnson and DeJohnette that stretch the farthest, particularly on the three tunes with long introductions, "If I Should Lose You", "Alone Together," and "Autumn Leaves." It's here that Elias touches the essence of the improvisational jazz, especially on "Introduction #1/If I Should Lose You", where the trio somehow morphs from a jagged, sensitive free-form beginning (reminiscent of DeJohnette's work with Keith Jarrett's Standards Trio) into the tune without sounding contrived or out of place. --Ezra Gale

Track listing

1. Bowing to Bud
2. Nostalgia in Times Square
3. Beat of My Heart, The
4. I Fall in Love Too Easily
5. Everything I Love
6. Introduction #1 / If I Should Lose You
7. They Say It's Wonderful
8. I Love You
9. That's All It Was
10. Introduction #2 / Alone Together
11. Woody N' You
12. Blah Blah Blah
13. Introduction #3 / Autumn Leaves

73719.jpg

Verve Jazz Masters 17 -- CD :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Nina Simone

1994 Verve Records

This compilation brings together 16 great tracks that Nina Simone recorded for the Philips label during the years 1964-1966. This record presents Nina in her prime, at a time when she created some of the best work of her legendary career. Her ... Full Descriptionrange of musical style is, as always, all over the map: jazz, folk, protest songs, gospel, musical theater, and R&B are all a part of her creative journey.

Included in this collection are such timeless classics as her original tunes "Four Women," and "Mississippi Goddam," both which beautifully articulate racial injustices, her haunting version of "Wild Is The Wind," and her unforgettable version of Screaming Jay Hawkins' "I Put a Spell on You." Also included on this CD is a finger-popping "My Baby Just Cares For Me" which was recorded live at the Vine Street Bar & Grill in 1987.

Track listing

1. Black Is the Color of My True Love's Hair
2. I Put a Spell on You
3. Love Me or Leave Me
4. Little Girl Blue - (alternate take)
5. My Baby Just Cares for Me - (live)
6. I Loves You, Porgy
7. Work Song
8. Ne Me Quitte Pas
9. Wild Is the Wind
10. See Line Women
11. Strange Fruit
12. Pirate Jenny
13. Four Women
14. Mississippi Goddam
15. Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
16. I Hold No Grudge

41T00PQJJ1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Wow, and I could get it used on amazon for the bargain price of $49.99! :scared-yipes:

Dennie said:
Wow, thanks Botch! Now, where did I leave my magnifying glass?

Dennie
Press <CTRL>, roll the mouse wheel; works on PCs and Macs! :handgestures-thumbup:

EDIT: I finally splurged and bought several pair of reading glasses; one on the kitchen table, one in the living room, one at the computer, one on the motorcycle, etc. :geek:

This was my Surprise find of last year! :happy-smileygiantred:

Although it came out in '97! :angry-tappingfoot:

41lxjyrGGkL._SS500_.jpg

Love's Been Rough On Me -- CD :handgestures-thumbup: :text-bump: :handgestures-thumbup:

Etta James

1997 RCA Victor

One of the best ever!,
December 5, 2008
By R. Slade "asteviefan" (Charlotte, NC)

This review is from: Love's Been Rough on Me (Audio CD)

Seriously, this is not only one of Etta's best, but one of the best you'll hear if you are truly a fan of the blues. Her voice is stellar. Her emotion is uncomparable. She is truly a living legend and this CD proves her raw, untamed talent once again.

1. The Rock
2. Cry Like A Rainy Day
3. Love's Been Rough On Me
4. Love It Or Leave It Alone
5. Don't Touch Me
6. Hold Me
7. If I Had Any Pride Left At All
8. I Can Give You Everything
9. I've Been Lovin' You Too Long
10. Done In The Dark

PaulyT said:

Wow, and I could get it used on amazon for the bargain price of $49.99! :scared-yipes:

Or, I could sell you my copy for $48! :teasing-neener:

But my copy is one of those big ol'Black Vinyl thingys! :dance:

Dennie

Botch said:
Press <CTRL>, roll the mouse wheel; works on PCs and Macs! :handgestures-thumbup:

EDIT: I finally splurged and bought several pair of reading glasses; one on the kitchen table, one in the living room, one at the computer, one on the motorcycle, etc. :geek:

Thanks Botch! Ya know, I've almost bought this SACD a few times.......

41uHaaCd8kL._SS500_.jpg

But, I'm just not sure about it! :think:

Maybe someone has it and can share their experience with it?

Dennie

61yzW2y%2B-NL._SS500_.jpg

The Blues -- Remastered CD :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Nina Simone

1991 RCA Records

Why isn't EVERYONE a Nina Simone fan?, July 4, 2001
By "bluemamma" (San Luis Obispo, CA USA)
This review is from: The Blues (Audio CD)

Nina Simone SHOULD have been the biggest star of the past forty years, and this album is one of her very best. She does it all - sexy, funky R&B (Do I Move You? Day and Night, In The Dark, Buck), social commentary that makes you feel as angry as she is (The Pusher, Blues for Mama, Backlash Blues) and songs of deep spirituality to inspire you (even without her astounding voice, the piano on "Nobody's Fault But Mine" all by itself could break your heart, and her version of Dylan's "I Shall Be Released," which EVERYBODY has recorded is beyond a doubt the best ever.) Nina Simone isn't one-tenth as well known as she ought to be, and anybody who has never heard her has missed a lot.

01. Do I Move You?
02. Day and Night
03. In the Dark
04. Real Real
05. My Man's Gone Now
06. Backlash Blues
07. I Want a Little Sugar in My Bowl
08. Buck
09. Since I Fell for You
10. The House of the Rising Sun
11. Blues for Mama
12. The Pusher
13. Turn Me On
14. Nobody's Fault But Mine
15. Go to Hell
16. I Shall Be Released
17. Gin House Blues

51ZeMgPEdkL._SS500_.jpg

Heavy Picks - Collection -- CD

The Robert Cray Band

1999 Island/Mercury Records

Digitally remastered by Suha Gur (Universal Music Studios, Edison, New Jersey).

Throughout the '80s, Robert Cray and Stevie Ray Vaughan were heralded as the "new hopes" for the blues. Although Vaughan's fiery blues-based playing made this sobriquet more appropriate, Cray's style took as much from Memphis soul as it did Chicago blues. HEAVY PICKS compiles the cream of Cray's material released between 1980 and 1997.

Combining a fluid guitar sound and a creamy vocal style, Robert Cray wrote music often based on the fragility of relationships between men and women. His high-caliber songwriting not only found Cray being covered by the likes of Albert King ("Phone Booth") and Eric Clapton ("Bad Influence"), but also landed him in the Top 40 ("Smoking Gun"). Although covers of Willie Dixon ("Too Many Cooks") and Otis Redding ("Trick or Treat") bridged the blues and soul divide, Cray's R&B strengths leapt out more in his collaborations with the Memphis Horns. On songs such as "Consequences," "Forecast (Calls for Pain)," and "I Guess I Showed Her," Cray's singing not only channels the influence of soul legend O.V. Wright, but his crisp guitar playing also points to Steve Cropper's Stax/Volt legacy.

Track listing

1. Phone Booth
2. Forecast (Calls for Pain)
3. Smoking Gun
4. Playin' in the Dirt
5. Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
6. Too Many Cooks
7. Dream, The
8. Right Next Door (Because of Me)
9. Consequences
10. Bad Influence
11. I Guess I Showed Her
12. I Shiver
13. Trick or Treat
14. I Was Warned

Dennie said:
Thanks Botch! Ya know, I've almost bought this SACD a few times.......

41uHaaCd8kL._SS500_.jpg

Dennie
That's the one I was actually looking for!

24416025.jpg

God Willin' & The Creek Don't Rise -- CD

Ray LaMontange and the Pariah Dogs

2010 RCA Records

Product Description

Grammy nominated and critically acclaimed, Ray LaMontagne returns with his anticipated fourth studio album, God Willin' & The Creek Don't Rise. Entirely self produced (for the first time) the album was recorded in two weeks at LaMontagne's home in the woods of western Massachusetts. The newly restored historic home served as a homemade recording studio for Ray and his fellow musicians. With Ray's vocals at the forefront of the songs and a loose, almost live sounding recording, the album stands as a testament to a band at the height of their powers. The newly coined 'Pariah Dogs', consists of Jay Bellarose (drums), Jennifer Condos (bass), Patrick Warren (keyboard), Eric Heywood (guitar) and Greg Leisz (pedal steel guitar). Individually these musicians have contributed to the live work of such heralded musicians including Beck, Joe Henry, Tom Waits, Lucinda Wlliams, Ryan Adams and Joe Cocker to name a few of their career highlights. Together with Ray they shared a sense that the sessions for this record were rare and extraordinary.

1. Repo Man
2. New York City’s Killing Me
3. God Willin’ & The Creek Don’t Rise
4. Beg Steal Or Borrow
5. Are We Really Through
6. This Love Is Over
7. Old Before Your Time
8. For The Summer
9. Like Rock & Roll And Radio
10. Devil’s In The Jukebox

You did that one already. ;)

I've been listening a lot his second album, Till the Sun Turns Black. At the moment, I think I like that one the best of the four. But that kinda varies from week to week...

51N5rJK%2BQuL._SL500_.jpg

Back To The Future Now -Live At Arizona Charlies, Las Vegas -- HDCD

Asleep At The Wheel

1997 Sony Music

Amazon.com

A quarter century ago, the members of Asleep at the Wheel were young Western swing enthusiasts trying their best to imitate such heroes as Bob Wills and Milton Brown. Now Ray Benson and his dozens of bandmates--past and present--are the seasoned heroes of the genre, and a new generation of young Western swing fans look to Asleep at the Wheel for clues. Two of those youngsters, Nashville stars Tracy Byrd and Wade Hayes, pay their respects in the form of guest vocals on the new Asleep at the Wheel album, Back to the Future Now. This live album isn't the best record the group has ever made, but it may be the best single-disc introduction. Not only do Byrd and Hayes provide a way into the music for younger fans, but most of the band's best-known songs plus three Wills tunes are reprised. More importantly, several key members of Asleep at the Wheel's legendary 1975-'78 lineup return to the fold for a one-night, school-of-swing reunion. Vocalists LeRoy Preston and Chris O'Connell once again sing their signature numbers, "My Baby Thinks She's a Train" and "The Letter That Johnny Walker Read" respectively. Founding steel guitarist Lucky Oceans trades slippery licks with current steel guitarist Cindy Cashdollar on Wills'S "Fat Boy Rag," and pianist Floyd Domino comes back to rattle the ivories on Moon Mullican's "Cherokee Boogie." Tony Garnier (heard more recently with Bob Dylan) slaps out a walking bass line on Wills'S "Roly Poly." Even if you aren't familiar with the band's long, convoluted history, Benson introduces most of the songs with half-comic, half-affectionate stories that fill in the details. --Geoffrey Himes

1. Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens - Asleep at the Wheel, Kramer, Alex
2. Miles and Miles of Texas - Asleep at the Wheel, Camfield, Tommy
3. Roly Poly - Asleep at the Wheel, Rose, Fred
4. Ida Red - Asleep at the Wheel, Powell, Christopher
5. My Baby Thinks She's a Train - Asleep at the Wheel, Preston, Leroy
6. The Letter That Johnny Walker Read - Asleep at the Wheel, Benson, Ray
7. God Bless the Child - Asleep at the Wheel, Herzog, Arthur Jr.
8. Fat Boy Rag - Asleep at the Wheel, Barnard, Junior
9. Cherokee Boogie - Asleep at the Wheel, Mullican, Moon
10. Hot Rod Lincoln - Asleep at the Wheel, Ryan, Charlie
11. Boogie Back to Texas - Asleep at the Wheel, Benson, Ray
12. House of Blue Lights - Asleep at the Wheel, Raye, Don

Dennie said:

Botch said:
That's the one I was actually looking for!
Jazz Side of The Moon could not be more disappointing. Its recording quality and subsequent overall sound quality are out of this world but the music is just plain awful. It's not even a good multichannel mix.

If you find it on sale for, say, $4.99, go ahead and grab it. Otherwsie, I'd suggest you buy something else which, if you're after something Floyd-ish, I'd recommend Symphonic Pink Floyd.

51VVJVBE9HL.jpg

Zing said:
Jazz Side of The Moon could not be more disappointing. Its recording quality and subsequent overall sound quality are out of this world but the music is just plain awful. It's not even a good multichannel mix.

If you find it on sale for, say, $4.99, go ahead and grab it. Otherwsie, I'd suggest you buy something else which, if you're after something Floyd-ish, I'd recommend Symphonic Pink Floyd.

51VVJVBE9HL.jpg

Yeah, the SACD is $18.98, so I have been waiting to hear something about it.

I will look into "Symphonic Floyd"!

Thanks,

Dennie

PaulyT said:
You did that one already. ;)

I've been listening a lot his second album, Till the Sun Turns Black. At the moment, I think I like that one the best of the four. But that kinda varies from week to week...

I'm liking it!!! I've added "Trouble" to my list. I know how favorites change over time! It is like that for me with Mark Knopfler, I just can't decide which of his albums I like the best. So, I'm just going to keep playing them until I figure it out!! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Dennie

51ussR0lpmL._SS500_.jpg

Greatest Hits -- CD

Pam Tillis

1997 Arista Records

A "Greatest Hits" album that's REALLY a greatest hits album!, April 23, 2005
By Bruce in Chapel Hill (Chapel Hill, NC, USA) -

The title "so-and-so's greatest hits" is slapped onto too many albums these days, even when many of the singer's Top 10 hits are missing, and when the hits on the album are diluted with a number of less-great songs. But this Greatest Hits album is exactly what it claims to be. Pam Tillis had 13 top 10 singles between 1991 and 1997 (two of which were introduced on this album); 11 of those 13 hits are on this 12-track CD. And the sub-top-10 12th track that appears in place of the 2 missing Top 10 songs, both of which peaked at No. 6, is "Cleopatra", a classic that HAS to be on a Pam Tillis greatest hits album even if it didn't crack the top 10. You can buy this album with confidence you're getting essentially all of Pam's best-known hits and no filler.

Oh - and I really like Pam's songs and her singing. So with all that going for it, how can I rate this CD at anything less than 5 stars?

1. "Land of the Living" (Wayland Patton, Tia Sillers) – 3:32
2. "All the Good Ones Are Gone" (Dean Dillon, Bob McDill) – 3:17
3. "Don't Tell Me What to Do" (Harlan Howard, Max D. Barnes) – 3:12
4. "Maybe It Was Memphis" (Michael Anderson) – 4:00
5. "Shake the Sugar Tree" (Chapin Hartford) – 3:08
6. "Let That Pony Run" (Gretchen Peters) – 3:30
7. "Cleopatra, Queen of Denial" (Pam Tillis, Bob DiPiero, Jan Buckingham) – 3:12
8. "Spilled Perfume" (Tillis, Dillon) – 3:53
9. "When You Walk in the Room" (Jackie DeShannon) – 2:44
10. "In Between Dances" (Barry Alfonso, Craig Bickhardt, Roger Brown, Jason Sellers) - 3:21
11. "Mi Vida Loca (My Crazy Life)" (Tillis, Jess Leary) – 2:51
12. "The River and the Highway" (Gerry House, Don Schlitz) – 4:21

51XSGVTetoL._SS500_.jpg

...at Shelly's Manne-Hole, Hollywood, California --CD :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Bill Evans Trio

1963/1991 Riverside/Fantasy Records
Lesser known treasure..., April 1, 2005
By Larkenfield

I've heard a number of great Bill Evans albums over the years (great being his overall norm) and I was immediately attracted to this recording because Evans sounds so completely relaxed, laid-back and at ease at the piano, yet rises to the occasion with his sparkling, cascading technique when needed... In short, he seems to be having a good time and that usually means a good time for the listener... In addition, this is a beautifully balanced set with a satisfying blend of classics, ballads, and blues... all played in front of a modest but appreciative audience. I believe some of the magic is because of the warm acoustics at Shelly's Manne-Hole and a piano that seems to be capable of luscious sonorities and responds so well to Evan's superb touch. It seems like he really enjoyed playing it, and the feeling comes through his performance as he sounds so completely at home. This album plays well for active listening... or to set a sophisticated mood for an evening with someone special. I've enjoyed it countless times.

1. "Isn't It Romantic?" (Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart) – 4:37
2. "The Boy Next Door" (Ralph Blane, Hugh Martin) – 5:22
3. "Wonder Why" (Nicholas Brodszky, Sammy Cahn) – 5:15
4. "Swedish Pastry" (Barney Kessel) – 5:45
5. "Our Love Is Here to Stay" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) – 4:46
6. "'Round Midnight" (Thelonious Monk, Cootie Williams) – 8:54
7. "Stella by Starlight" (Ned Washington, Victor Young) – 4:57
8. "All the Things You Are" (Oscar Hammerstein II, Jerome Kern) – 5:44
9. "Blues in F" – 8:44

Dennie said:
PaulyT said:

Or, I could sell you my copy for $48! :teasing-neener:

But my copy is one of those big ol'Black Vinyl thingys! :dance:

I've got some Enoch Light, too, but it's on one of those ol' Quadraphonic 8-Track thingys!

Unfortunately mine is merely a compilation album that contains some of the tracks off of "Provocative Percussion" amongst his other works. Plus, I haven't even been able to hear it, let alone experience it in all its 4-channel glory. But I liked some of the various Enoch Light song samples I heard off the interweb, though I can't remember what albums the songs I liked were from, anymore; I seem to recall not liking everything. But would still love to add something of his to my collection some day.

174701_1_f.jpg

Muir Woods Suite -- CD :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

George Duke

1996 Warner Bros. Records

Mesmerizing!, August 22, 2001
By "goodyman" (Miamisburg, Ohio USA)

I am and will always be overwhelmed and gratified by the musical gift made manifest in George Duke.

His piano virtuosity is that which I am most enthralled. His command of the keyboard is astounding and the clarity and accuracy at which he plays is unparalleled.

Every movement on this CD is not only original but moving and awe-inspiring, not to mention touching.

Morover, who can complain about the company he keeps in this release? Stanley Clarke, Chester Thompson, Paulinho Da Costa; all are simply phenomenal and stellar performers in their own right.

If this doesn't solidify George Duke's place as one of the most prolific composers, performers, and arrangers in the past twenty years, then I don't know what will!

Bravo! Bravo! Brother George! Be blessed continually and abundantly!!

~ Track Listing ~
01. Muir Woods Suite: Phase 1
02. Muir Woods Suite: Phase 2
03. Muir Woods Suite: Phase 3
04. Muir Woods Suite: Percussion Solo
05. Muir Woods Suite: Phase 4
06. Muir Woods Suite: Phase 5
07. Muir Woods Suite: Bass Solo
08. Muir Woods Suite: Phase 6 (Love Theme)
09. Muir Woods Suite: Drum Solo
10. Muir Woods Suite: Phase 7
11. Muir Woods Suite: Montreaux Nights

PAULY! :angry-tappingfoot: DO NOT READ THESE.........

A musical extravaganza for the senses and soul., March 18, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Muir Woods Suite (Audio CD)
As a fan of Mr. Duke, I've always hoped he would further explore his classical roots. I've had the opportunity of sampling the expanse of his talent through his contributions to the jazz world. "Muir Woods Suite" was exactly what my own classical soul was yearning for from this premier musician and true piano virtuoso. The cherry on top was Stanley Clarke as a featured player. A truly incredible contribution to the music world.

Absolutely brilliant!!!, May 20, 2005
By D. Harvin (Orlando, FL USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Muir Woods Suite (Audio CD)
I remember in one of my life's transitional moments, George Duke's composition (Phase 6 Love Theme) played a vital part in shaping direction for me. I suggest repeating this selection (even the entire disc) over and over again and immerse yourself in the beautiful conversation of music Mr. Duke is presenting.

Muir Woods Suite "movie-soundtrack" attributes create an epic journey into the depths of this forest, carrying its listener through many emotions evoked by imagery. The tasteful approach in the orchestrations continues to validate Duke as a true Genius.

Back