• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

5d6381b0c8a0356df3f3f110.L.jpg

FIYO ON THE BAYOU -- CD :handgestures-thumbup:

Neville Brothers

1981/1990 A&M Records

Amazon.com

The Neville Brothers, as a working unit, emerged as a result of 1976's magnificent Wild Tchoupitoulas project. On that album, the Brothers and their Meters cohorts backed a group of tribal chiefs (including their uncle "Big Chief Jolly") singing traditional Mardi Gras "war songs" and marches. The Nevilles' 1978 debut left behind their New Orleans foundation and suffered because of it. However, 1981's Fiyo represents the pinnacle of the Neville collective, a percolating mix of R&B, soul, funk, and Caribbean rhythms that celebrates their Crescent City heritage. The standards, of course, are entrusted to Aaron's heavenly pipes, but it's the New Orleans anthems that would come to define both the band and the city. --Marc Greilsamer

1. "Hey Pocky Way" (Modeliste, Neville, Nocentelli, Porter) - 4:14
2. "Sweet Honey Dripper" - 5:19
3. "Fire on the Bayou" (Modeliste, Neville, Nocentelli, Porter) - 5:16
4. "Ten Commandments of Love" (Paul) - 3:45
5. "Sitting in Limbo" (Bright, Cliff) - 4:11
6. "Brother John/Iko Iko" (King, Neville) - 5:34
7. "Mona Lisa" (Jean) - 3:45
8. "Run Joe" - 3:36

Dennie said:

Neville Brothers
Dennie, do you have the Wild Tchoupatoulas disk? It gets a bit repetitive, but a lot of fun and a toe-tapper.

album-all-the-way.jpg

All The Way -- CD

Etta James

2006 RCA Victor

To the general good of the universe, Etta James was still going strong in 2006. ALL THE WAY is miles removed from the gritty, bluesy R&B James is best known for, and with its lush arrangements, smooth grooves, and dinner club vibe, the album is anything but raw. But none of this is to say that James has lost her touch; her voice is still expressive, rough-hewn, and passion-filled.

James shows her familiarity with late-20th century pop here, offering renditions of John Lennon's "Imagine," Prince's "Purple Rain," Simply Red's "Holding Back the Years," and Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On." The choice of material may seem a bit obvious, but James imbues each song with her world-weary grace. And with the mark of a true singing genius, she makes each song sound like a standard written solely for her.

Mojo (Publisher) (p.110) - 3 stars out of 5 -- "[She] returns with a collection of covers that starts promisingly with powerful renditions of Bobby Womack's 'Stop On By' and Johnny Guitar Watson's 'Strung Out'..."

1. "All The Way" – 3:37 (Sammy Cahn, Jimmy Van Heusen)
2. "Stop On By" – 4:08 (Thomas Truman, Bobby Womack)
3. "Strung Out" – 7:12 (Johnny Watson)
4. "Somewhere" – 2:15 (Leonard Bernstein, Stephen Sondheim)
5. "Holding Back the Years" – 4:18 (Michael James Hucknall, Neil Moss)
6. "Imagine" – 3:39 (John Lennon)
7. "I Believe I Can Fly" – 5:10 (Robert Kelly)
8. "It's a Man's Man's Man's World" – 4:53 (James Brown, Betty Newsome)
9. "Purple Rain" – 5:45 (Prince)
10. "What's Going On" – 4:27 (Renaldo Benson, Al Cleveland, Marvin Gaye)
11. "Calling You" – 6:14 (Robert E. Telson)

I really like this Bonus Picture........
etta%20james%2002.jpg

This is my Favorite Aaron Neville album! :text-bravo:

c634c0a398a0cfc41e930210.L.png

Warm Your Heart -- CD

Aaron Neville

1991 A&M Records

Aaron Neville at his Best, August 15, 2001
By
Robert Kall "Rob Kall of Opednews.com" (Newtown, PA)
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)

Aaron Neville has been around a long time. This CD is an extraordinary creation, which combines some original songs and some classics. Produced by Linda Ronstadt and George Massengill, it offer lush, rich sounds which really do Warm Your Heart.

Neville's voice is at it's best. Several songs include duet vocals with Linda Ronstadt or Rita Coolidge. Ry Cooder plays guitar on several tracks.

This was the first Aaron Neville album I purchased, after first becoming a fan of his from hearing him sing on one of Linda Ronstadt's albums that he did duets on. Since then, I've purchased many more and my family knows they can't go wrong buying me an Aaron Neville CD for a gift.

As I listen to this album, writing this review, I get chills. It is by far my favorite of all his albums. I even bought a back-up copy. Maybe it's the orchestration and production of Linda Ronstadt. Maybe he just found his peak performance mode when recording these songs.

Whatever it is, this CD is one I have listened to at least 50 times, and I expect it will continue to have its staying power for me.

By the way, one of the reasons I bought this CD was the title. I have lectured for over 15 years on heart warming and have written about it too. Check out my website in my about me section to find links. IN that research, I explored, using computerized psychophysiological monitoring devices how people respond to heartwarming memories and thoughts. While I have not put this CD to the test, I am sure it would produce similar results. It really does go deep.

1. "Louisiana 1927" (Randy Newman) – 3:04
2. "Everybody Plays The Fool" (J.R. Bailey, Rudy Clark, Ken Williams) - 4:25
3. "It Feels Like Rain" (John Hiatt)- 4:56
4. "Somewhere, Somebody" (Max Gronenthal, Andrew Kastner, Larry John McNally) - 3:01
5. "Don't Go, Please Stay" (Burt Bacharach, Bob Hilliard) - 2:40
6. "With You In Mind" (Allen Toussaint) - 3:32
7. "That's The Way She Loves" (Allen Toussaint) - 4:45
8. "Angola Bound" (Aaron Neville, Neville Brothers) - 4:32
9. "Close Your Eyes" (Chuck Willis) - 3:10
10. "La Vie Dansante" (Jimmy Buffett, Will Jennings, Michael Utley) - 3:21
11. "Warm Your Heart" (Tom Dowd, Ahmet Ertegun, Jerry Wexler) - 3:49
12. "I Bid You Goodnight" (traditional) - 4:00
13. "Ave Maria" (Franz Schubert)- 4:41

Botch said:
Dennie said:

Neville Brothers
Dennie, do you have the Wild Tchoupatoulas disk? It gets a bit repetitive, but a lot of fun and a toe-tapper.

No! I had to look it up. I think I'll add it to my wish list, thanks for mentioning it! :handgestures-thumbup:

51ZNX8KRTTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com
Mardi Gras remains one of America's most other-worldly cultural riots, never more exotic than in the beaded, feathered spectacle of New Orleans' black "Indian" tribes. Each year they stir the city's African, Native American, and European influences into an intoxicating gumbo roiling with syncopated rhythms and coded with their own sense of the festival's competitive spirit. It's that tradition that explains this deliriously infectious 1976 project, which magnifies the Tchoupitoulas' fanny-shaking bravado with a formidable studio crew helmed by producer Allen Toussaint, who enlisted the Neville Brothers and the Meters to give these tracks a kinetic R&B push-and-pull. With the Nevilles' choral vocals fleshing out traditional chants, this is funky prancing of the highest order, from the infectious "Brother John" to a ripe remake of the Meters' "Hey Pocky A-Way." One need only hear the tough bragging of "Meet the Boys on the Battlefront," with its promise that "the Wild Tchoupitoulas gonna stomp some rump," to get the outrageous picture. --Sam Sutherland

Dennie :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

d01d024128a074a4731bd010.L.jpg

Grand Piano Canyon -- CD

Bob James

1990 Warner Bros. Records

On 1990's GRAND PIANO CANYON, Bob James and his cohorts do an excellent job of delivering exactly what fans expect. The likes of Nathan East, Harvey Mason, Jon Faddis, Randy Brecker, saxophonists Andy Snitzer and Kirk Whalum, Lee Ritenour, and Eric Gale provide subtle instrumental backup on these nine jazzy piano tracks. CANYON blends straight-ahead jazz with a bit of contemporary jazz for a well rounded and relaxing recording.

The catchy radio hit "Restoration" is a highlight. "Bare Bones" provides the album with its most jamming moment, while Ritenour's "Just Listen" and the lovely "Far from Turtle" add a soft, romantic touch. James' beautiful playing is featured throughout, though the middle of the album does drag slightly. But if you're looking for a fine late-night listen, GRAND PIANO CANYON should hit the mark.

Track listing

1. Bare Bones
2. Restoration
3. Wings For Sarah (Tribute to Sarah Vaughan)
4. Svengali
5. World's Apart
6. Stop That
7. Xraxse
8. Just Listen
9. Far From Turtle

e97a228348a00a7af98a6110.L.png

Inside Out -- CD

Chick Corea - Elektric Band

1990 GRP Records

Chick Corea's Elektric Band was always a well intergrated unit, featuring passionate solos from the rockish guitarist Frank Gambale and the R&Bish saxophonist Eric Marienthal in addition to major statements from the distinctive leader who utilized a battery of keyboards yet remained quite recognizable. With John Patitucci (arguably jazz's top electric bassist) and drummer Dave Weckl pushing the ensemble, this pacesetting fusion unit is heard at its peak on these Corea originals.

"Inside Out" was the Elektric Band's pinnacle. The music is as great as this band got. Those who saw the tour for this cd know, based on the explosiveness of the material live, it appears that the band had the best time during this recording. Before or after this disc the other cds or concerts were not as amazing. The disc doesn't contain many songs but it still is as long as the others. Tale of Daring is the best suite that Corea has ever written including his RTF days. The band is in top form as they move through this piece with each of them displaying amazing improvisational skills in addition to reading Chick's music. The other songs are typical for Chick during this period, that is to say great. This disc should be bought by any fusion fan because there is something for everyone. Great compostion as well as playing should give any musician something to work on. Highly recommended.

Tracklist:

01. Inside Out
02. Make A Wish
03. Make A Wish, Pt. 2
04. Stretch It
05. Stretch It, Pt. 2
06. Kicker
07. Child's Play
08. Tale Of Daring
09. Tale Of Daring, Chap. 2
10. Tale Of Daring, Chap. 3
11. Tale Of Daring, Chap. 4

Personnel:

Chick Corea - Piano, Synthesizer
Eric Marienthal - Saxophone
Frank Gambale - Guitar
John Patitucci - Electric Bass
Dave Weckl - Drums

51L0jmVXvgL.jpg

Did I Shave My Legs For This -- HDCD

Deana Carter

1996 Capitol Nashville

Amazon.com
All tracks have been digitally mastered using HDCD technology.

"Strawberry Wine" was nominated for 1997 Grammy Awards for Best Female Country Vocal Performance and Best Country Song. "Did I Shave My Legs For This?" was nominated for 1998 Grammy Awards for Best Female Country Vocal Performance and Best Country Song.

Deana Carter comes with an impressive country pedigree. Her father, Fred Carter, Jr., was a top-notch session guitarist who penned Ray Price's hit "I Want To Hear It From You" and played with Canadian barnstormer Ronnie Hawkins. His daughter's multi-platinum debut album finds her keeping the family tradition going on 11 tracks (several of which she cowrote) of country heartbreak and redemption. Carter is a technically skilled vocalist, but her voice retains an endearing, girl-next-door quality that draws the listener in.

While several of the songs are about jumping wholeheartedly into romantic relationships, there are a couple of caustic plaints that detail the darker side of love. The standout is the title cut, on which Carter describes a lover whose flame has flickered out. DID I SHAVE MY LEGS FOR THIS? marks Deana Carter as a pop/country artist destined to stand alongside the likes of Shania Twain and Lorrie Morgan as a major figure in modern-day Nashville.

1. "I've Loved Enough to Know" (Chuck Jones, Deana Carter) – 3:22
2. "We Danced Anyway" (Matraca Berg, Randy Scruggs) – 3:23
3. "Count Me In" (Jones, Carter) – 3:24
4. "If This Is Love" (Al Anderson, Craig Wiseman) – 2:53
5. "Love Ain't Worth Making" (Carter, Scott Poston) – 3:44
6. "Before We Ever Heard Goodbye" (Jones, Carter) – 3:45
7. "How Do I Get There" (Carter, Chris Farren) – 4:09
8. "Strawberry Wine" (Berg, Gary Harrison) – 4:51
9. "That's How You Know It's Love" (Stephony Smith) – 4:27
10. "Did I Shave My Legs for This?" (Carter, Rhonda Hart) – 3:11
11. "To the Other Side" (Kim Carnes, Greg Barnhill) – 4:10

51SvobErMlL._SS500_.jpg

No Place That Far -- CD

Sara Evans

1998 RCA Victor

Amazon.com

Sara Evans's 1997 debut, Three Chords and the Truth, seemed, on first hearing, impossible. Here was a major-label Nashville album that, once again, faithfully captured the heartbreaking simplicity of classic country; here was a singer who could belt out with raw nerve and then slip low into deep smokiness. Evans's RCA follow-up is nearly as good, even as it leaves that hard country sound for a more radio-friendly, rocking edge. Billy Sherrill handles the recording, and though there's a luxurious quality to the layers of guitars and vocal harmonies, the standouts "Crying Game" and "Great Unknown" sound more like driving Americana rock than Top 40 country-pop. The real attraction, however, is Evans's fluid songwriting and expressive voice: whether she's singing beside George Jones, Vince Gill, or Alison Krauss, Evans's true, warm tone is, on the mainstream country scene, an emotional world apart. --Roy Kasten

1. "The Great Unknown" (Phil Barnhart, Sara Evans, James House) – 3:53
2. "Cryin' Game" (Jamie O'Hara) – 2:54
3. "No Place That Far" (Evans, Tony Martin, Tom Shapiro) – 3:37
4. "I Thought I'd See Your Face Again" (Marv Green, Rick Orozco) – 3:28
5. "Fool, I'm a Woman" (Matraca Berg, Evans) – 3:06
6. "Time Won't Tell" (Beth Nielsen Chapman) – 3:53
7. "The Knot Comes Untied" (Ron Harbin, Ed Hill, Sam Hogin) – 3:42
8. "Love, Don't Be a Stranger" (Mary Sharon Rice, Bill Rice) – 3:16
9. "These Days" (Evans, Billy Yates) – 3:14
10. "Cupid" (Keith Gattis, Kostas) – 3:03
11. "There's Only One" (Evans, Leslie Satcher) – 2:58

fc54228348a0ddf0b5320110.L.jpg

Desperado -- CD

Eagles

1973/1990 Elektra Records

Amazon.com

If ever a group of musicians had a clear vision of where they wanted to go and how to get there, it was these southern California boys who built a steady rolling FM hit factory on basic tenets of Gram Parsons's invention of country-rock. For their second album, the group decided concept was most important and set out to portray themselves as keepers of the old West--their outlaw image a natural for those born unto rock and roll soil. The hits are lazy, decadent, and unrepentant; "Tequila Sunrise" and the title track, feature the flawless harmonies and strong vocals of Glenn Frey and Don Henley. --Rob O'Connor

Side one

1. "Doolin-Dalton" (Frey, J.D. Souther, Henley, Jackson Browne) – 3:26
* Lead vocals by Don Henley and Glenn Frey
2. "Twenty-One" (Leadon) – 2:11
* Lead vocal by Bernie Leadon
3. "Out of Control" (Henley, Frey, Tom Nexon) – 3:04
* Lead vocal by Glenn Frey
4. "Tequila Sunrise" (Henley, Frey) – 2:52
* Lead vocal and Acoustic Guitar by Glenn Frey, Lead Guitar and Mandolin by Bernie Leadon
5. "Desperado" (Henley, Frey) – 3:36
* Lead vocal by Don Henley, Piano by Glenn Frey

Side two

1. "Certain Kind of Fool" (Meisner, Henley, Frey) – 3:02
* Lead vocal by Randy Meisner, acoustic guitar by Bernie Leadon, lead guitar by Glenn Frey
2. "Doolin-Dalton (Instrumental)" (Frey, Souther, Henley, Browne) – 0:48
* Instrumental
3. "Outlaw Man" (David Blue) – 3:34
* Lead vocal, guitar and piano by Glenn Frey
4. "Saturday Night" (Meisner, Henley, Frey, Leadon) – 3:20
* Lead vocals by Don Henley and Randy Meisner
5. "Bitter Creek" (Leadon) – 5:00
* Lead vocal by Bernie Leadon
6. "Doolin-Dalton / Desperado (Reprise)" (Frey, Souther, Henley, Browne) – 4:50
* Lead vocal by Don Henley

a3e0024128a01210aafb6010.L.jpg

A Momentary Lapse of Reason -- CD

Pink Floyd

1987/1997 Sony Music

A Momentary Lapse of Reason is the thirteenth studio album by English progressive rock group Pink Floyd. It was released in the UK and US in September 1987. In 1985 guitarist David Gilmour began to assemble a group of musicians to work on his third solo album. At the end of 1986 he changed his mind, and decided that the new material would instead be included in a new Pink Floyd album. Subsequently Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason and keyboardist Richard Wright (who had left the group in 1979) were brought on board for the project. Although for legal reasons Wright could not be re-admitted to the band, he and Mason helped Gilmour craft what would become the first Pink Floyd album since the departure of lyricist and bass guitarist Roger Waters in December 1985.

The album was recorded primarily on Gilmour's converted houseboat, Astoria. Its production was marked by an ongoing legal dispute between Waters and the band as to who owned the rights to Pink Floyd's name, which was not resolved until several months after the album was released. Unlike most of Pink Floyd's studio albums, A Momentary Lapse of Reason has no central theme, and is instead a collection of rock songs written mostly by Gilmour and musician Anthony Moore. Although the album received mixed reviews and was derided by Waters, with the help of an enormously successful world tour it easily out-sold their previous album The Final Cut. A Momentary Lapse of Reason is certified multi-platinum in the US.

1. "Signs of Life" (instrumental, with spoken vocals by Nick Mason) Gilmour, Ezrin 4:24
2. "Learning to Fly" Gilmour, Moore, Ezrin, Carin 4:53
3. "The Dogs of War" Gilmour, Moore 6:05
4. "One Slip" Gilmour, Manzanera 5:10
5. "On the Turning Away" Gilmour, Moore 5:42
6. "Yet Another Movie" / "Round and Around" (instrumental) Gilmour, Leonard / Gilmour 7:28
7. "A New Machine (Part 1)" Gilmour 1:46
8. "Terminal Frost" (instrumental) Gilmour 6:17
9. "A New Machine (Part 2)" Gilmour 0:38
10. "Sorrow" Gilmour 8:46
Total length:
51:14

6bb8024128a00c695cfbe010.L.jpg

The Wall -- 2 CD Box Set :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Pink Floyd

1979 Pink Floyd Music/ Columbia Records

Amazon.com Essential Recording

The Wall is less a collection of songs than a single work, which is sometimes frustrating; the plot lacks enough coherence to hold the snippets of music together. However, there are occasional flashes of brilliance on what ranks as Pink Floyd's most ambitious project. Most of these come from the fully developed songs, which have become classics in their own right. "Hey You," "Mother," and especially "Comfortably Numb" are subtle, incredible pieces of music. Though complex, they move at a relaxed pace, allowing the listener to absorb them slowly; this kind of pacing was something Pink Floyd excelled at. Also worth noting is the "Another Brick in the Wall/The Happiest Days of Our Lives" medley, which has become a staple of rock radio. --Genevieve Williams

All songs written and composed by Roger Waters, except where noted.
Side one
No. Title Music Lead vocals Length
1. "In the Flesh?" Waters 3:19
2. "The Thin Ice" Gilmour, Waters 2:27
3. "Another Brick in the Wall Part 1" Waters 3:21
4. "The Happiest Days of Our Lives" Waters 1:46
5. "Another Brick in the Wall Part 2" Gilmour, Waters 4:00
6. "Mother" Waters, Gilmour 5:36
Side two
1. "Goodbye Blue Sky" Gilmour 2:45
2. "Empty Spaces" Waters 2:10
3. "Young Lust" Waters, Gilmour Gilmour 3:25
4. "One of My Turns" Waters 3:35
5. "Don't Leave Me Now" Waters 4:16
6. "Another Brick in the Wall Part 3" Waters 1:14
7. "Goodbye Cruel World" Waters 1:13
Side three
1. "Hey You" Gilmour, Waters 4:40
2. "Is There Anybody Out There?" Waters 2:44
3. "Nobody Home" Waters 3:26
4. "Vera" Waters 1:35
5. "Bring the Boys Back Home" Waters 1:21
6. "Comfortably Numb" Gilmour, Waters Waters, Gilmour 6:24
Side four
1. "The Show Must Go On" Gilmour 1:36
2. "In the Flesh" Waters 4:13
3. "Run Like Hell" Gilmour, Waters Gilmour, Waters 4:19
4. "Waiting for the Worms" Waters, Gilmour 4:04
5. "Stop" Waters 0:30
6. "The Trial" Waters, Ezrin Waters 5:13
7. "Outside the Wall" Waters 1:41

106681b0c8a0e94c1a349110.L.jpg

Hell's Half Acre -- CD

Jolene

1995 Ardent Records

Amazon.com

The popular comparison for Jolene's first album is early R.E.M. That might be unfair for Jolene--after all, the Athens boys were never quite this mature-sounding early on, and where Michael Stipe will reach for a falsetto, John Crooke is more likely to settle down into a flat, soulful rumble. Crooke's lyrics are easily distinguished, too, and he definitely has been around the block once or twice: "I could save the world, if given the go-ahead," he sings in "Alongside," before thinking better of it. "Then again, maybe I should save myself instead." But the comparison holds in other ways. Dave Burris does sound distinctly Mills-ian when he contributes backing vocals, and the two bands share the same love for Vic Chesnutt and for layered, subtly energetic melodies. Bill Ladd's consistent pedal steel, and a duet with Kim Richey, only underscore the depth present throughout. It's no surprise that they hail from the same area that spawned both the dBs and Let's Active a couple of revolutions back. --Randy Silver

1. Alongside
2. Birdland
3. In My House
4. I Read What You Wrote Today
5. Mercy
6. Esseola 181
7. Garden Days
8. I Failed Me Again
9. Job - Jolene, Burris, Dave
10. China Card
11. Isadora Duncan - Jolene, Chesnutt, Vic
12. Skyliners
13. Floatplane Notebooks

I was thrilled to find this one.... :text-bravo:

891dd250fca04890c47e7010.L.jpg

Orgy In Rhythm Vol. 1 & 2 CD

Art Blakey

1957/1997 Blue Note Records

THUNDEROUS, November 12, 2002
By:Christopher Sears "Chris Sears" (SoCal)

Thunderous. I listen to a lot of electronic music besides jazz, and am relatively accustomed to hearing new sounds. But this album blew me away. Orgy in Rhythm opens up the possibilities of the acoustic drumset in a way no other album has (at least to my limited knowledge). Three drumsets and three of the greatest drummers. And Timpanis and Latin percussion. GOOD GOD. I wish more artists would show this sincerity in their playing and this willingness to experiment. If you play drums, BUY THIS ALBUM. If you listen to a lot of the more "out there" sampled music (Amon Tobin, etc.) BUY THIS ALBUM. If you ever wondered what three drumsets would sound like together in a dark reverbed room, BUY THIS ALBUM.

1. "Buhaina Chant" – 10:30
2. "Ya Ya" – 7:06
3. "Toffi" – 12:20
4. "Split Skins" – 8:58
5. "Amuck" – 6:49
6. "Elephant Walk" – 6:56
7. "Come Out and Meet Me Tonight" – 5:43
8. "Abdallah's Delight" – 9:46

All compositions by Art Blakey

* Recorded at Manhattan Towers, NYC, March 7, 1957

* Art Blakey – drums
* Ray Bryant – piano
* Jo Jones – drums, tympani
* Herbie Mann – flute
* Wendell Marshall – bass
* Sabu Martinez – percussion
* Ubaldo Nieto – percussion, timbales
* Evilio Quintero – percussion, maracas, cencerro
* Arthur Taylor – drums
* Carlos "Patato" Valdes – percussion
* Specs Wright – drums, tympani

ee56810ae7a0ad386469a110.L.jpg

Soft Talk -- CD :handgestures-thumbup: :eusa-clap:

Shelby Lynne

1991 Epic Records

This is the kind of CD the trained ear cannot get enough of, April 25, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Soft Talk (Audio CD)

It will forever remain a mystery to me why this talented young lady is not signed to a label at this time. I have never been moved by a performer quite as much as I am with this Diva. She has such a warmth to her voice, such control and such a wonderful range. I have listened to this CD a hundred times at least and I never tire of it. If someone out there is reading this that can put this classy young lady back on the road to stardom I wish you would take the chance. She is absolutely a-m-a-z-i-n-g.

1. Don't Cross Your Heart
2. I've Learned To Live
3. Alive And Well
4. A Lighter Shade Of Blue
5. It Must Be You
6. You Can't Break A Broken Heart
7. Soft Talk
8. The Very First Lasting Love (Duet With Les Taylor)
9. Stop Me
10. It Might Be Me

6228c060ada0ae8702f7d110.L.jpg

Second Wind -- CD :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Herb Alpert

1996 Almo Sounds

Welcome Back Herb!, September 30, 1998
By W. J. Bernardi (Austin, Tx USA)

Herb Alpert's first release in four years - and on his new label - is a joyous one! Teaming up with keyboardist Jeff Lorber, Alpert embarks on a funk-jazz romp that showcases some of his best playing on record. He conjures up images of Miles Davis on many of the songs, yet it isn't a ripoff of Miles at all.

Alpert is a smart player. He knows what he can and can't do, and stays within himself. Opening up with the aptly-titled "Second Wind" Herb and Lorber create a great groove which gives Alpert some freedom to roam around on the horn. "Driving Home" is another hot song with Herb playing some really nice jazz on. Lorber does some nice playing on "Sneakin' In" with the Hammond B3 organ, conjuring up images of Jimmy Smith. This is some of Lorber's best playing on record, too.

On his own Lorber ends up playing a zillion notes per second, but under Alpert's guidance he plays only when necessary. The two combined to compose most of the songs, including the beautiful "Rendevouz", where Alpert shows his romantic side of playing. And his version of "My Funny Valentine" is also very hip. For those who haven't listened to Herb Alpert in a long time, this is a CD that will impress you.

One other note: The Japanese version of this CD contains a bonus track - a "live" version of "The Lonely Bull", which was Alpert's very first hit with the Tijuana Brass. Very funky, with great solos by Alpert and Lorber!

Track listing

1. Second Wind
2. Flirtation
3. Wherever You Are
4. Sneakin' In
5. Drivin' Home
6. Can't Stop Thinking About You
7. Flamingo
8. My Funny Valentine
9. Side Steppin'
10. Rendezvous
11. Across the Bridge
12. Sugar Cane

9f27225b9da089d0c1ce4110.L.jpg

The Gershwin Connection -- CD

Dave Grusin

1991 GRP Records

Because many of Dave Grusin's albums have been rather commercial and overproduced, it is often forgotten how excellent a pianist he could be. This CD, which includes a 40-page booklet, features an enjoyable program of George and Ira Gershwin tunes played by a continually changing all-star lineup that includes the leader's piano, clarinetist Eddie Daniels, vibraphonist Gary Burton, altoist Eric Marienthal, trumpeter Sal Marquez, guitarist Lee Ritenour, bassist John Patitucci, drummer Dave Weckl and guest spots for pianist Chick Corea (who duets with Grusin on "'S Wonderful") and Don Grusin. A few of the numbers are given light funk rhythms and made to sound slightly "contemporary" (particularly "I've Got Plenty O' Nuthin'," which has an electric Ramsey Lewis-type groove), but overall, this is a very tasteful and respectful set -- a classy package. ~ Scott Yanow

Personnel: Dave Grusin (piano), Gary Burton, Eric Marienthal, Lee Ritenour, Eddie Daniels, Chick Corea.

Personnel includes: Dave Grusin (piano, keyboards); Ettore Strata (conductor); Eric Marienthal (soprano & alto saxophones); Sal Marquez (trumpet); Eddie Daniels (clarinet); Gary Burton (vibraphone); Chick Corea (piano); Don Grusin (T-3 Clavinet); Lee Ritenhour (acoustic & electric guitars); John Patitucci (fretted & fretless basses); Dave Weckl, Sonny Emory (drums).

1. That Certain Feeling
2. Soon
3. Fascinating Rhythm
4. Prelude II
5. How Long Has This Been Going On?
6. There's A Boat Dat's Leavin' Soon For New York
7. My Man's Gone Now
8. Maybe
9. Our Love Is Here To Stay
10. 'S Wonderful
11. I've Got Plenty O' Nuthin'
12. Nice Work If You Can Get It