• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

61CAJYYEFRL._SS500_.jpg

Shangri-La -- CD/DVD

Mark Knopfler

2004 Reprise Records

Amazon.com

Mark Knopfler isn't afraid to drop names. The heavyweight Cassius Clay laid low, the man who made burgers and fries into big business, the kings of rock & roll and skiffle are among the motley assortment who pass through Knopfler's fourth solo album. Recorded in Malibu with a tight crew of steadfast Knopfler sidemen, Shangri-La (the title comes from the studio where the entire set was recorded) chronicles the foibles of the acclaimed and the adrift, all delivered with the nonchalant grace that has marked Knopfler's music since Dire Straits emerged in the late '70s. Seven of album's 14 originals clock in at between five and seven minutes. That's Knopfler in a nutshell--don't rush things, but don't loose the thread, either. As a songwriter, Knopfler has a storyteller's eye for minutiae, which he delivers with practiced nuance. He overreaches here and there ("Song for Sonny Liston" fails to capture the pathos of the menacing fighter), but also pulls off a few career highlights (the understated crime-drama opener "5.15 a.m."). --Steve Stolder

All songs written by Mark Knopfler.

"5.15 A.M." – 5:54
"Boom, Like That" – 5:49
"Sucker Row" – 4:56
"The Trawlerman's Song" – 5:02
"Back to Tupelo" – 4:31
"Our Shangri-La" – 5:41
"Everybody Pays" – 5:24
"Song for Sonny Liston" – 5:06
"Whoop De Doo" – 3:53
"Postcards from Paraguay" – 4:07
"All That Matters" – 3:08
"Stand Up Guy" – 4:32
"Donegan's Gone" – 3:05
"Don't Crash the Ambulance" – 5:06

Duke-Ellington-Piano-In-The-Back-448819.jpg

Piano In The Background -- Remastered CD

Duke Ellington and his Orchestra

1961/2004 Columbia Legacy

Forget the misleading title: though Duke Ellington is heard with his orchestra on these reissued 1960 recordings--not with a trio, as on the exceptional companion release Piano in the Foreground (1961)--he is still very much the table-setter, the driving force, the pilot, the master framer on keyboard. Recorded in Los Angeles, Piano in the Background consists of remakes of Ducal classics including "It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)," "I'm Beginning to See the Light" (both arranged by Gerald Wilson), and "Perdido" (arranged by Bill Mathieu). If there were occasions when that format resulted in mortal performances, the band is in upbeat form here, delighting in fresh charts that remake the songs via tantalizing introductions, offbeat rhythms and accents, and bold off-center harmonies. Bonus cuts include two lively versions of George Shearing's "Lullaby of Broadway," the Billy Strayhorn ballad "Dreamy Sort of Thing" (featuring the composer on piano and alto Johnny Hodges), and Wilson's bluesy "The Wailer." There's also a previously unissued 1961 version of "Harlem Air Shaft." --Lloyd Sachs

Track Listing
1. Happy Go Lucky Local
2. What Am I Here For
3. Medley: Kinda Dukish/Rockin' in Rhythm: Kinda Dukish / Rockin' In Rhythm
4. Perdido
5. I'm Beginning to See the Light
6. Midriff
7. It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
8. Main Stem
9. Take the "A" Train
10. Lullaby of Birdland
11. Wailer, The
12. Dreamy Sort of Thing
13. Lullaby of Birdland - (alternate take)
14. Harlem Air Shaft - (previously unreleased)

Personnel: Duke Ellington (piano); Duke Ellington; Andres Merenghito, Andre Merenghito (trumpet); Lawrence D. Brown, Lawrence Brown (trombone); Billy Strayhorn (piano); Aaron Bell (double bass); Russell Procope (clarinet, alto saxophone); Jimmy Hamilton (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Harry Carney (bass clarinet, baritone saxophone); Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone); Paul Gonsalves (tenor saxophone); Eddie Mullens, Gerald Wilson, Ray Nance, Willie Cook (trumpet); Matthew Gee, Booty Wood, Britt Woodman (trombone); Juan Tizol (valve trombone); Sam Woodyard (drums).Audio Remixer: Mark Wilder.Liner Note Authors: Irving Townsend; Patricia Willard.Recording information: Columbia Studios, Los Angeles, CA (1960)

3f9f923f8da05a06d615a010.L.jpg

My Time: A Boz Scaggs Anthology (1969 - 1997) -- 2 CD Set

Boz Scaggs

1997 Columbia Legacy

Bargain collection of classy soul and R&B July 31, 2001
By Hindburn
Format:Audio CD

Boz Scaggs may be remembered most for the disco / R&B styled hits 'Lowdown', 'What can I say' and 'Lido shuffle' in 1977, but there was far more to the man, as this excellent and comprehensive collection amply demonstrates. Boz was certainly not jumping on a disco bandwagon, as he had already spent a number of years honing his skills as an R&B/soul singer and band leader, resulting in several creditable albums leading up to his well deserved commercial breakthrough with the 'Silk Degrees' album from which came the above mentioned hits.

All his albums are adequately represented in this collection, although 'Silk Degrees' is particularly emphasised, with over half of the album included. This is justified, given the quality of the material, including the often-covered ballad 'We're all alone' and the jazzy, laid-back 'Harbor lights'. The follow-up albums, which like 'Silk Degrees' feature the superb rhythm section of Toto, are less well represented, but some of their best tracks are included, although there are a couple of surprising omissions - such as the ballad 'You can have me anytime', with its memorable guitar solo by Carlos Santana, and the Motown-styled 'Hollywood'.

There are also a number of interesting tracks from the last two decades, when Boz has kept a relatively low profile but has still made occasional albums, all to his usual high standard. This is an excellent album, without a dud track on it, and I would not wish to pick out favorites as the standard throughout is so high. With crystal clear remastered sound, a total of 33 songs giving a total length over 2.5 hours, an attractively designed booklet with an essay and full details of all tracks and musicians, this is an excellent overview of Boz's career. It should also persuade many listeners to obtain some of his other albums, some of which are now also available in remastered form.

Boz was and is a master of this genre, and most of today's young male singers with soulful pretensions should listen to this to find how it should really be done.

Track listing

Disc One

"Runnin' Blue" – 3:58
"We Were Always Sweethearts" – 3:29
"Near You" – 4:59
"Painted Bells" – 4:02
"Dinah Flo" – 3:04
"Might Have to Cry" – 4:06
"You Make It So Hard (To Say No)" – 3:34
"I Got Your Number" – 3:48
"Slow Dancer" – 3:14
"Hercules" – 4:04
"What Can I Say" – 3:00
"It's Over" – 2:50
"Harbor Lights" – 5:57
"Lowdown" – 5:16
"Lido Shuffle" – 3:43
"We're All Alone" – 4:12
"Loan Me a Dime" – 13:04

Disc Two

"Hard Times" – 4:30
"1993" – 4:05
"Jojo" – 5:52
"Isn't It Time" – 4:54
"Simone" – 5:08
"Breakdown Dead Ahead" – 4:35
"Miss Sun" – 5:32
"Look What You've Done to Me" – 5:18
"Heart of Mine" – 4:14
"What's Number One?" – 3:59
"Drowning in the Sea of Love" – 5:02
"Sierra" – 5:21
"Some Change" – 6:11
"Just Go" – 3:01
"Goodnight Louise" – 4:02

Billie-Holiday-Lady-in-Satin_zps8335f703.jpg

Lady In Satin -- Remastered 20Bit CD

Billie Holiday with Ray Ellis and His Orchestra

1958/1997 Columbia Legacy

This was her penultimate album, recorded when her body was telling her enough was enough. During the sessions with arranger Ray Ellis she was drinking vodka neat, as if it were tap water. Yet, for all her ravaged voice (the sweetness had long gone) she was still an incredible singer. The feeling and tension she manages to put into almost every track sets this album as one of her finest achievements. 'You've Changed' and 'I Get Along Without You Very Well' are high art performances from the singer who saw life from the bottom upwards. The CD reissue masterminded by Phil Shaap is absolutely indispensable.

Track Listing
1. I'm a Fool to Want You - (edited master)
2. For Heaven's Sake
3. You Don't Know What Love Is
4. I Get Along Without You Very Well
5. For All We Know
6. Violets for Your Furs
7. You've Changed
8. It's Easy to Remember
9. But Beautiful
10. Glad to Be Unhappy
11. I'll Be Around
12. End of a Love Affair, The - (instrumental track & overdub take 8, mono)
13. I'm a Fool to Want You - (previously unreleased, Take 3, bonus track)
14. I'm a Fool to Want You - (previously unreleased, alternate take, alternate take 2, bonus track)
15. End of a Love Affair: The Audio Story, The - (previously unreleased, bonus track)
16. End of a Love Affair, The - (previously unreleased, stereo, bonus track)
17. [Pause Track]

Personnel includes: Billie Holiday (vocals); Ray Ellis (conductor); Mel Davis (trumpet); Urbie Green, J.J. Johnson, Tom Mitchell (trombone); Danny Bank, Phil Bodner, Romeo Penque (woodwinds); George Ockner (violin); David Sawyer (cello); Janet Putnam (harp); Mal Waldron (piano); Barry Galbraith (guitar); Milt Hinton (bass); Osie Johnson (drums); Phil Kraus (percussion).Recorded in New York, New York from February 19-21, 1958. Originally released on Columbia (1157). Includes liner notes by Irving Townsend, Ray Ellis and Phil Schaap.

71fZq44mTvL.jpg

Major Glenn Miller & The Army Air Froce Band 1943-1944 -- Remastered CD

1987 RCA/Bluebird Treasury Series

Amazon.com

This album's 17 tracks were recorded between October 1943 and April 1944, when Glenn Miller's band was stationed in America and contributing to the war effort by performing at war-bond and recruitment rallies. With popular vocalists Johnny Desmond and Tony Martin and a large string section complementing a jazz-oriented big band, Miller was able to cover a broad range of material, including ambitious arrangements of such show tunes as "Speak Low" and "People Will Say We're in Love." There are patriotic novelty tunes as well, and the swing content is high on Bill Finegan's "Tail-End Charlie" and Jerry Grey's "Enlisted Men's Mess" and "Jeep Jockey Jump." The Army Air Force Band included excellent jazz musicians, with a rhythm section superior to any of Miller's civilian bands. Pianist Mel Powell is featured on his own Gershwin-esque instrumental, "Pearls on Velvet," while drummer Ray McKinley animates the swing tunes. --Stuart Broomer

Track Listings

1. St. Louis Blues March
2. Peggy, The Pin-up Girl
3. Speak Low
4. Tail-End Charlie
5. Anvil Chorus
6. Oh, What A Beautiful Morning
7. There Are Yanks
8. Everybody Loves My Baby
9. Enlisted Men's Mess
10. I'll Be Around
11. There'll Be A Hot Time In The Town Of Berlin
12. People We'll Say We're In Love
13. Pearls On Velvet
14. Poinciana
15. It Must Be Jelly
16. Jeep Jockey Jump
17. Vict'ry Polka

51B9pbgInoL._SS400_.jpg

Softly As A Summer Breeze -- Remastered CD

The Incredible Jimmy Smith with Kenny Burrell & Philly Joe Jones

1960/2006 Blue Note Records

Though virtuoso organist Smith is known primarily as a practitioner of bluesy, groove-oriented tunes, this 1958 date remains true to its title, exploring a more relaxed ballad feel on standards like "These Foolish Things," "It Could Happen To You" and "Someone To Watch Over Me." Smith's airy chordal work and breezy solos mesh perfectly with guitarist Kenny Burrell's elegant melodic trills. Philly Joe Jones' subtle, tasty brush work provides the necessary motion, and when things rev up, as on the Monk composition "Hackensack," Jones is the driving force behind Smith's explorations. Four tunes featuring singer Bill Henderson are added to this reissue, sweetening the pot for Smith fans.

"These Foolish Things" (Harry Link, Holt Marvell, Jack Strachey) - 5:27
"Hackensack" (Thelonious Monk) - 5:58
"It Could Happen to You" (Johnny Burke, Jimmy Van Heusen) - 6:16
"Sometimes I'm Happy" (Irving Caesar, Vincent Youmans) - 8:21
"Someone to Watch Over Me" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) - 6:30
"One for Philly Joe" [aka "Home Cookin'"] (Jimmy Smith) - 4:46
"Willow Weep for Me" (Ann Ronell) - 3:24 Bonus track on CD reissue
"Ain't No Use" (Leroy Kirkland, Sidney Wyche) - 2:40 Bonus track on CD reissue
"Angel Eyes" (Earl Brent, Matt Dennis) - 3:25 Bonus track on CD reissue
"Ain't That Love" (Ray Charles) - 2:45 Bonus track on CD reissue

-----

Recorded at Rudy Van Gelder Studio in Hackensack, New Jersey on February 26, 1958 (tracks 1-6) and October 14, 1958 (tracks 7-10)

71ECew0GDAL.jpg

Big Wide Grin -- CD

Keb' Mo'

2001 OKeh/Sony Wonder

With baby boomers and many members of Generation X having grown up with rock & roll as their music of choice, it stands to reason the idea of a "children's album" needs to be redefined. Contemporary blues guitarist Keb' Mo' keeps this concept at the forefront of BIG WIDE GRIN, a collection of songs suitable for sharing with the whole family as opposed to being tailored solely for the little ones.Blessed with a rich singing voice, fleet fingers, and a laid-back delivery, Mo' delivers clever arrangements of R&B favorites by The O'Jays (a twangy "Love Train"), Sly & The Family Stone (a casually swinging "Family Affair"), and Bill Withers (a loping "Grandma's Hands"). In keeping with the familial theme, the Compton native addresses topics including adoption (the heartfelt Brenda Russell duet "I Am Your Mother Too"), love for a step-parent ("Color Him Father"), and thankfulness for a blessed life (a Bonnie Raitt-like "Infinite Eyes"). Goosing along this occasionally weighty collection are a few instances of Keb' Mo' loosening up, particularly on a jumping version of Slim Gaillard's jive classic "The Flat Foot Floogie" and a playful duet with son Kevin Jr. on Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi."

Track Listing
1. Everybody Be Yoself
2. Love Train
3. Don't Say No
4. Infinite Eyes
5. Grandma's Hands
6. Color Him Father
7. Family Affair
8. Flat Fleet Floogie, The
9. I Am Your Mother Too
10. Big Yellow Taxi
11. Isn't She Lovely
12. America the Beautiful

Personnel includes: Keb' Mo' (vocals, guitar, banjo); Brenda Russell, Barbara Morrison (vocals); Leo Nocentelli (guitar); Greg Leisz (pedal steel guitar, mandola); Clayton Gibb (banjo); Gerald Albright (saxophone); Jeff Young (piano, organ); "Ready" Freddie Washington (bass); Sergio Gonzalez, Laval Belle (drums); Luis Conte (percussion); The Family, Alex Brown, Bobette Harrison-Jamison, Randy Phillips (background vocals).Recorded at Groove Masters Studio and Sony Studios, Santa Monica, California; A Cut Above Studio, Ventura, California; House Of Blues Studio, Encino, California.BIG WIDE GRIN was nominated for the 2002 Grammy Award for Best Musical Album For Children.

0a91eb6709a0e751f6604110.L.jpg

The Dance -- CD

Fleetwood Mac

1997 Reprise Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Fleetwood Mac's 1997 reunion could have been the kind of event that works on video--great concert, after all--but ends up not paying off in repeated listenings on CD. But The Dance, while concentrating on the group's '70s and '80s triumphs, finds the Mac energy running high and impassioned. New songs like "Temporary One" and "Bleed to Love Her" are fine additions to the canon, while "Everywhere" and "Say You Love Me" both breeze along the way you remember them and manage a reinvention in the live setting. The dark side of the vision is accounted for with Lindsey Buckingham's crazed solo "Big Love," but best of all is "Silver Springs," wherein Stevie Nicks tears the roof off the sucker and sets fire to the rubble. --Rickey Wright

"The Chain" (Lindsey Buckingham, Mick Fleetwood, Christine McVie, John McVie, Stevie Nicks) – 5:11
"Dreams" (Nicks) – 4:39
"Everywhere" (C. McVie) – 3:28
"Rhiannon" (Nicks) – 6:48
"I'm So Afraid" (Buckingham) – 7:45
"Temporary One" (C. McVie, Quintela) – 4:00
"Bleed to Love Her" (Buckingham) – 3:27
"Big Love" (Buckingham) – 3:06
"Landslide" (Nicks) – 4:28
"Say You Love Me" (C. McVie) – 5:00
"My Little Demon" (Buckingham) – 3:33
"Silver Springs" (Nicks) – 5:41
"You Make Loving Fun" (C. McVie) – 3:50
"Sweet Girl" (Nicks) – 3:19
"Go Your Own Way" (Buckingham) – 5:00
"Tusk" (Buckingham) – 4:22
"Don't Stop" (C. McVie) – 5:31

0000115012_500_zps5ef95a77.jpg

The Best of - 1955 - 1960 -- CD

George Shearing

1995 Capitol Records

Nice work from his early years... March 25, 2002
By William E. Adams
Format:Audio CD

Blind British pianist Shearing got his start in recording way back in 1949, first on MGM, then settling in for a decades-long stay and mass popularity with Capitol records. He has played solo, and as a quartet, a quintet, with full orchestras, with great female jazz singers, and with Latin percussionists. He has made his mark with straight versions of the best standards as well as with pure jazz. He's good live (I saw him in 1965) and in the studio as well. This is a fine 18-song collection recorded as a quintet over six years and an amazing 15 separate LP's. Shearing is great as background sound for reading or a party, but he also rewards attentive listening via earphones. He had a zillion albums on vinyl and quite a few have made it to CD now. You really can't get cheated with any of them. What I like best on here are "Have You Met Miss Jones?" and "Dancing on the Ceiling" and "The Folks Who Live on the Hill" and "Cheek to Cheek". He also reprises his first record hit, "September in the Rain" and offers enjoyable versions of "East of the Sun" and "Canadian Sunset". While this kind of stuff is extremely pleasant listening, Shearing reached that goal by using a determined intelligence and great sidemen. If you like "piano jazz" as a category, you already own some George, don't you? If you lack Shearing, this is a worthy introduction.

Track Listing
1. Midnight in the Air
2. Have You Met Miss Jones?
3. Dancing on the Ceiling
4. Cuban Love Song
5. Folks Who Live on the Hill, The
6. Nothing Ever Changes My Love for You
7. Friendly Persuasion (Thee I Love)
8. Later
9. Cheek to Cheek
10. Sand in My Shoes
11. Kinda Cute
12. September in the Rain
13. East of the Sun (And West of the Moon)
14. Estampa Cubano
15. Ship Without a Sail, A
16. Laura
17. Bernie's Tune
18. Canadian Sunset

Personnel: George Shearing (piano); Dick Garcia, Toots Thielemans (guitar); Dan Little, Lammar Wright, Sr., Benny Ventura, Cal Massey (trumpet); Robert "Brother Ah" Northern, Julius Watkins (French horn); Chuck Mason, Hale Rood, Dick Brace, Larry Wilson (trombone); Zuke Zatcher (tuba); Johnny Rae, Warren Chiasson, Emil Richards (vibraphone); Bill Clark , Larance Marable, Ray Mosca, Roy Haynes, Percy Brice (drums); Armando Peraza (percussion).

$T2eC16d,!)UE9s3wDcWSBRlgrktLbw~~60_1.JPG

Memorial -- CD

Django Reinhardt

2006 Empire Musicwerks

Initially issued shortly after Django Reinhardt's death in 1953, this 39-track collection presents a set of the Belgian-born jazz guitar legend's finest latter-day performances, all recorded in '47. Many, if not all, of these tunes feature Reinhardt on electric guitar, a point with which many purists take issue. However, Reinhardt's playing is so deft and nuanced that the amplification is often not that noticeable. Among the many outstanding songs on MEMORIAL are the laid-back "Django's Blues," the brisk "Minor Swing," and the breezy "Nuages," tunes that showcase not only Reinhardt's range, but his remarkably inventive technique, which he achieved without the use of two fingers on his right hand (lost in a youthful accident). Although there are many other excellent Reinhardt compilations on the market, this one is particularly notable as a historical document that made the revered musician's material more widely available after his death.

Track Listing

DISC 1:
1. Topsy
2. September Song
3. Danse Nuptiale (Moppin' the Bride)
4. Brazil
5. Anniversary Song
6. Swing 49
7. Django's Blues
8. Mano
9. Blues Primitif
10. Gypsy With a Song
11. Danse Norvegienne
12. Blues For Barclay - (take 1)
13. I'll Never Smile Again
14. Confessin'
15. Night and Day
16. Fantasie
17. Blues en Mine8ur
18. Manor de Mes Reves
19. Babik
20. Swing 39

DISC 2:
1. Melodie au Crepuscule
2. Feerie
3. Dinettte
4. Minor Swing
5. Swing 40
6. Artillerie Lourde
7. Peche a la Mouche
8. Stockholm
9. Nuages
10. Del Salle
11. Vendredi 13
12. Sweet Chorus
13. Crepuscule
14. Song D'Automne
15. Folie a Amphion
16. Swing Guitars
17. Belleville
18. Douce Ambiance
19. Swing de Paris

Personnel: Django Reinhardt (guitar); Joseph Reinhardt (guitar); Gerard Leveque (clarinet); Emmanuel Soudieux (bass instrument); André Jourdan (drums).

914V-wvTNjL._SL500_SY300_.jpg

All That Jazz - Live At Princeton -- K2 Remastered CD

Benny Carter

1990/2003 Jazz Heritage Society

This is the 2003 CD release of BENNY CARTER Live At Princeton - Recorded LIVE at Richardson Auditorium on the campus of Princeton University - November 11, 1990.

The sax legend is joined by the great flugelhornist Clark Terry on 10 standards including two ("All That Jazz" and "We Were in Love") composed by Carter. Vocalist Billy Hill is featured on four numbers ("All That Jazz" has Hill and Terry singing together in humorous fashion) and other highlights include "Misty," "Almost Like Being in Love," "Blues Walk" and "All of Me."

Kenny Barron on Piano, Kenny Washington on the kit and Rufus Reid round out the band

Tracks are :

1. Introduction
2. Hackensack
3. I'm Beginning To See the Light
4. Misty
5. Now's the Time
6. Almost Like Being in Love
7. When Sunny Gets Blue
8. All That Jazz
9. We Were In Love
10. Blues Walk
11. All of Me

Personnel: Benny Carter (vocals, alto saxophone); Clark Terry (vocals, trumpet, flugelhorn); Billy Hill (vocals); Kenny Barron (piano); Rufus Reid (bass); Kenny Washington (drums).

51VXmMdkIeL._SS500_.jpg

Greatest Hits -- Remastered CD

Miles Davis

1969/1997 Columbia Legacy

Yet Another Welcome Introduction To A Jazz Master
, May 11, 2000
By Anthony G Pizza "trivialtony" (FL) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)

This review is from: Miles Davis - Greatest Hits [Columbia 1997] (Audio CD)
Unlike jazz contemporaries Dave Brubeck and bandmates Cannonball Adderly and Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis never had a Top 40 hit single. Moreover, his best-known tracks are heard best within the context of their original albums. "Kind of Blue" has kindled more interest in Miles' music, and jazz generally, than any best-of collection could attempt.

Even so, this is an excellent sampler of Miles Davis first 15 years on Columbia Records. Two "Kind of Blue" tracks are heard live in grittier, wider versions than on that legendary CD. Miles' influential ballad style shows up on the haunting "My Funny Valentine." And "Walkin'" here is from a live Antibes, France concert Lp featuring a young Tony Williams on drums.

Those unfamiliar with Miles' music should use this as a springboard to Miles' most accessible music. Those owning "Kind of Blue," but no other Miles albums, should get this to sample other Miles moods and styles. A recommended purchase either way.

"Seven Steps to Heaven" (Victor Feldman, Miles Davis) – 6:26
Available on Seven Steps to Heaven
"All Blues" [live] (Davis) – 8:54
Available on My Funny Valentine
"Someday My Prince Will Come" (Larry Morey, Frank E. Churchill) – 9:11
Available on Someday My Prince Will Come
"Walkin'" [live] [edited] (Richard Carpenter) – 13:11
Unedited version available on In Person Friday Night at the Blackhawk
"My Funny Valentine" [live] (Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart) – 15:10
Available on My Funny Valentine
"E.S.P." (Wayne Shorter) – 5:32
Available on E.S.P.
"'Round Midnight" (Thelonious Monk, Cootie Williams, Bernie Hanighen) – 5:58
Available on 'Round About Midnight
"So What" (Davis) – 9:23
Available on Kind of Blue

RIP Bobby..... :angelic-green:

1213252841_1.jpg

Portrait of the Blues -- CD

Bobby "Blue" Bland

1991 Malaco Records

This 1991 release, along with YEARS OF TEARS from 1993, amply demonstrate the enduring power of Bobby Bland, a most singular blues singer. Justly hailed for his '50s records on the Duke label, Bland remained a powerful presence over the ensuing decades. As with all of his recordings for the Jackson, Mississippi-based Malaco label, the bulk of the songs were penned by Malaco's in-house writers. One of the set's only numbers from an outside source is the opening "Ain't No Love For Sale" by John Barranco.

With his characteristic snorts and growls, it's clear from the outset that Bobby "Blue" Bland is in command. PORTRAIT is his usual mix of bluesy shuffles, ballads, and soulful stomps. And any album that's got a song called "She's Puttin' Something In My Food" has got a leg up on the competition. Produced by Wolf Stephenson and Tommy Couch, PORTRAIT features a regal stable of players, including the durable Muscle Shoals rhythm section of drummer Roger Hawkins and bass player David Hood.

Track listing

1. Ain't No Love for Sale
2. Hurtin' Love
3. These Are the Things That a Woman Needs
4. I Can Take You to Heaven Tonight
5. Last One to Know, The
6. Just Take My Love
7. I Just Won't Be Your Fool Anymore
8. She's Puttin' Something in My Food
9. When Hearts Grow Cold
10. Let Love Have Its Way

HarryConnickJrSongsIheard_zps0b75e54b.jpg

Songs I Heard -- CD

Harry Connick, Jr.

2001 Columbia Records

Never content to rest on his laurels, Harry Connick, Jr. wrapped up the end of 2001 simultaneously releasing the mostly solo 30 and the more complexly arranged SONGS I HEARD. The theme for the latter collection of songs can be traced to material heard by Connick as a youth that he decided to pay tribute to and have some fun with a little later in life.Not surprisingly, children's films prove to be an excellent source of material. "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" (from Mary Poppins) becomes an infectious, whiz-bang shuffle that sounds as if a party was going on during the recording session, while "Oompa Loompa" (of WILLY WONKA fame) is given an off-kilter solo turn. The Wizard Of Oz's "Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead" gets a be-bop treatment, and "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" arrives with an ominous timpani-soaked intro before Connick eases it into its lush arrangement. The New Orleans native also has a ball with songs from THE SOUND OF MUSIC, including a gorgeous reading of "Edelweiss," and "Do-Re-Mi" swings hard with accompanists dropping in throughout the song.

Track Listing
1. Supercalifragilisticexpeialidocious
2. Lonely Goatherd, The
3. Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead
4. Maybe
5. Pure Imagination / Candy Man
6. Golden Ticket / I Want It Now
7. Oompa Loompa
8. Spoonful of Sugar, A
9. Stay Awake
10. Something Was Missing
11. You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile
12. Over the Rainbow
13. Jitterbug, The
14. Merry Old Land of Oz, The
15. Edelweiss
16. Do Re Mi

Personnel includes: Harry Connick, Jr. (vocals, piano); Branford Marsalis (vocals, soprano saxophone); James Greene, Jon Gordon (alto saxophone); Jerry Welson, Charles "Ned" Good (tenor saxophone); Dave Schumacher (baritone saxophone); Roger Ingram, Tony Kadleck, Leroy Jones, Joe Magnarelli (trumpet); Mark Mullins, Dave Miller, Craig Kelin (trombone); Joe Barati (bass trombone); Neal Caine (bass); Arthur Latin (drums); Lucien Barabarin (percussion)Recorded at Manhattan Center Studios, New York, New York from July 23-26, 2001. Includes liner notes by Geoff Burke.SONGS I HEARD won the 2002 Grammy Award for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album.

51URhwscwJL._SS400_.jpg

Talkin' About -- Remastered 24 Bit CD

Grant Green - Larry Young - Elvin Jones

1965/1999 Blue Note Records

Grant Green ranked alongside Wes Montgomery as the most exciting new jazz guitarist of the early 1960s. Green recorded a couple of dozen very memorable albums for Blue Note in styles ranging from modal jazz to soul jazz, bop, funk, Latin and spirituals. When Grant Green teamed up in a trio with the forward looking organist Larry Young and drummer Elvin Jones on Talkin' About, a magical musical alchemy occurred. Far from sounding like the standard organ trio, Talkin’ About showcases three master musicians in full flight. Larry Young was no longer playing Jimmy Smith licks. He was universally acknowledged as having the first new style on organ since Smith. Elvin Jones was the major drummer of the era, and Green was capable of excelling in any setting. Just listen to the guitarist on the lengthy "Talking About J.C." and the joyous version of "I'm An Old Cowhand." You’ll quickly understand why Talkin’ About is such a sought after gem of the Blue Note catalog.

Grant Green Talkin' About! Track Listing

1. Talkin' About J.C.
2. People
3. Luny Tune
4. You Don't Know What Love Is
5. I'm An Old Cowhand

Personnel: Grant Green (guitar); Larry Young (organ); Elvin Jones (drums).Producer: Alfred Lion.Reissue producer: Michael Cuscuna.Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on September 11, 1964. Originally released on Blue Note (84183). Includes liner notes by Leonard Feather.Digitally remastered using 24-bit technology by Ron McMaster.

41sbTDXPKwL._SS500_.jpg

Along Came John -- Remastered CD

John Patton

1963/2000 Blue Note Records

Near definitive soul-jazz session, July 4, 2000
By Thomas Aikin (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Along Came John (Audio CD)

I would rate this album 4 1/2 stars, but thats not an option. While not quite an all-time classic its certainly first rate and a necessary buy for soul-jazz enthusiasts. Its probably the best available introduction to John Patton's talents on the Hammond B3 as well.

This session marks Patton's first as a leader for Blue Note. Rounding out the group are Grant Green {guitar), Ben Dixon (drums), and Fred Jackson and Harold Vicks (both on tenor sax). The strength of this release lies in the rhythm section of Patton, Green, and Dixon. As a trio they backed numerous classic Blue Note groove sessions and have a competely organic interplay and sound. Their experience playing together really is evident on this session. The sound is effortless and easy. Jackson and Vick are two obscure but excellent soul-jazz saxophonists who are are in good form here with a bluesy, gritty sound.

For those not familiar with Patton, he is perhaps the best of the legions of Jimmy Smith followers on the Hammond organ. Patton may actually be a better groove player than Smith as his playing is more blues and less bop. He's certainly in top form here. Most of the tempos are moderate to brisk and induce foot-tapping.

All in all a most welcome reissue. If you like soul jazz and haven't been exposed to John Patton you simply must purchase this title. Excellent sound quality as well.
All compositions by John Patton except as indicated

"The Sliver Meter" (Ben Dixon) - 5:41
"I'll Never Be Free" (Bennie Benjamin, George David Weiss) - 5:03
"Spiffy Diffy" (Dixon) - 6:02
"Along Came John" - 6:03
"Gee Gee" - 6:01
"Pig Foots" (Dixon) - 5:44

Recorded at Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on April 5, 1963.

John Patton - organ
Fred Jackson, Harold Vick - tenor saxophone
Grant Green - guitar
Ben Dixon - drums

7e99c060ada082ee34b6d110.L.jpg

New Beginning -- CD

Tracy Chapman

1995 Elektra Records

"Give Me One Reason" won a 1997 Grammy Award for Best Rock Song. Tracy Chapman earned four additional Grammy nominations for NEW BEGINNING. "Give Me One Reason" was nominated for Record Of The Year, Song Of The Year and Best Female Rock Vocal Performance, and the album was nominated for Best Pop Album.

What made Tracy Chapman's self-titled 1988 debut significant was her ability to bring the troubling stories of America's underbelly to an audience mostly removed from such problems, but eager to listen. Her supremely crafted songs quickly became anthems, making her the first popular African-American singer-songwriter to reach mega-stardom. Seven years later, Chapman's fourth album, NEW BEGINNING, arrives with new stories, while diving into previously unexplored territory.

Chapman's knack for gripping storytelling is most evident on the chilling "Cold Feet," which describes the dangerous choices rational people often make to get ahead. Her protagonist takes only one risk in an otherwise peril-free life, but it turns out to be a fatal one. While we've all heard similar tales, "Cold Feet" forces even the most self-assured listener to examine his/her own decisions. Where NEW BEGINNING differs from her earlier work is Tracy's willingness to turn the microscope on herself. "Heaven's Here On Earth" affords us a glimpse of her spiritual side, while "At This Point In My Life" is Chapman at her most introspective. These songs show us more of Tracy Chapman than we've seen before and, in the tradition of the best singer-songwriters, force us to examine ourselves.

All songs written by Tracy Chapman

"Heaven's Here on Earth" – 5:23
"New Beginning" – 5:33
"Smoke and Ashes" – 6:39
"Cold Feet" – 5:40
"At This Point in My Life" – 5:09
"The Promise" – 5:28
"The Rape of the World" – 7:07
"Tell It Like It Is" – 6:08
"Give Me One Reason" – 4:31
"Remember the Tinman" – 5:45
"I'm Ready" – 4:56