• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Today's work truck music...

3d7c729fd7a03e5656e1e010.L.jpg

Abbey Road -- Remastered Stereo CD

The Beatles

1969/2009 EMI Records

Amazon.com essential recording

The Beatles' last days as a band were as productive as any major pop phenomenon that was about to split. After recording the ragged-but-right Let It Be, the group held on for this ambitious effort, an album that was to become their best-selling. Though all four contribute to the first side's writing, John Lennon's hard-rocking, "Come Together" and "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" make the strongest impression. A series of song fragments edited together in suite form dominates side two; its portentous, touching, official close ("Golden Slumbers"/"Carry That Weight"/"The End") is nicely undercut, in typical Beatles fashion, by Paul McCartney's cheeky "Her Majesty," which follows. --Rickey Wright

Side one
No. Title Lead vocals Length
1. "Come Together" Lennon 4:20
2. "Something" (George Harrison) Harrison 3:03
3. "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" McCartney 3:27
4. "Oh! Darling" McCartney 3:26
5. "Octopus's Garden" (Richard Starkey) Starr 2:51
6. "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" Lennon 7:47
Side two
No. Title Lead vocals Length
1. "Here Comes the Sun" (Harrison) Harrison 3:05
2. "Because" Lennon, McCartney and Harrison 2:45
3. "You Never Give Me Your Money" McCartney 4:02
4. "Sun King" Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison 2:26
5. "Mean Mr. Mustard" Lennon 1:06
6. "Polythene Pam" Lennon 1:12
7. "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window" McCartney 1:57
8. "Golden Slumbers" McCartney 1:31
9. "Carry That Weight" McCartney with Lennon, Harrison and Starr 1:36
10. "The End" McCartney 2:05
11. "Her Majesty" McCartney 0:23

1273167834_benny-goodman-the-comple_zpsbec98fe1.jpg

The Complete Trios -- Remastered 24-Bit CD

Benny Goodman

1999 Capitol Records

The Complete Captiol Trios is a long-overdue reissue of the five trio sessions Benny Goodman led for Capitol Records. The five sessions are easily broken down into two categories -- recordings from 1947 and recordings from 1954. The highlights of the 1947 recordings are sessions with pianist Teddy Wilson and drummer Jimmy Crawford. This provided Goodman an opportunity to reunite with Wilson who he had toured with in the late '30s in a trio with drummer Gene Krupa. Goodman and Wilson have a real ease to their interaction and the results are positively joyful. There are three other recordings from 1947, featuring pianist Jimmy Rowles and drummer Tom Romersa; these are good, but not quite as delightful as their 1947 companions. However, the 1954 recordings -- all featuring pianist Mel Powell, four featuring drummer Eddie Grady, and two featuring drummer Bobby Donaldson -- are equally wonderful, filled with good humor, elegant flair, and magical interludes. These sessions have been out of circulation for too long, but The Complete Capitol Trios is so well-done -- and its fidelity is so good -- that the wait was certainly worthwhile. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Track Listing
1. Blue (And Broken Hearted)
2. After Hours
3. All I Do Is Dream of You - (1st version)
4. I'll Never Be the Same
5. Bye Bye Pretty Baby
6. Shoe Shine Boy
7. At Sundown
8. When You're Smiling (The Whole World Smiles With You)
9. All I Do Is Dream of You - (2nd version)
10. Stompin' at the Savoy
11. Mean to Me
12. Puttin' on the Ritz
13. I Never Knew I Could Love Anybody (Like I'm Loving You)
14. Lazy River
15. There'll Be Some Changes Made
16. Ev'rything I've Got (Belongs to You)
17. But Not For Me
18. Margie
19. Rose Room
20. (What Can I Say) After I Say I'm Sorry?

Personnel: Benny Goodman (clarinet); Teddy Wilson, Jimmy Rowles, Mel Powell (piano); Jimmy Crawford, Tom Romersa, Eddie Grady, Bobby Donaldson (drums).Recorded between 1947 and 1954. Includes liner notes by Richard M. Sudhalter.Digitally remastered using 24-bit technology by Ron McMaster.

618hi1rTp2L._SS500_.jpg

Ultimate Wes Montgomery: Selected by George Benson -- CD

Wes Montgomery

1998 Verve Records

Although serious fans and collectors will have little use for the disc, Ultimate Wes Montgomery is a solid collection of 12 highlights from the guitarist's Verve recordings as selected by George Benson. For the curious neophyte, the disc offers a good overview of Montgomery's time at the label, featuring the guitarist in a variety of different settings, including combos with Wynton Kelly, Oliver Nelson and Jimmy Smith. Certainly, the disc should be thought of as an introduction, not the final word, but on that level it works very well. Among the featured numbers are "Baby, It's Cold Outside," "Caravan," "West Coast Blues," "'Round Midnight," "Mi Cosa" and "Four on Six." ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Track Listing
1. Twisted Blues
2. Baby, It's Cold Outside
3. Caravan
4. Tequila
5. West Coast Blues
6. 'Round Midnight
7. Impressions
8. People
9. O.G.D. (aka Road Song)
10. Matchmaker, Matchmaker
11. Mi Cosa
12. King of the Road
13. Boss City
14. Four on Six

d2f4793509a0919d804b7110.L.jpg

The Road To Ensenada -- CD

Lyle Lovett

1996 MCA Records

Amazon.com essential recording

After the more experimental themes and misanthropic bit players populating his prior album, I Love Everybody, the songs on this superb 1996 set return to the more affable, earnest, but still knotty balance established by Lyle Lovett on his first four albums. He spins amiable yarns about his preferred headgear ("Don't Touch My Hat") and larger-than-life love objects (the one-eyed "Fiona"), sways hilariously through the backfired seductions of the samba-paced "Her First Mistake," and swings buoyantly through "That's Right (You're Not from Texas)," then ropes the equally droll Randy Newman into a tongue-in-cheek duet on "Long Tall Texan." In between, he sneaks a fresh string of dark love songs ("Private Conversation," "I Can't Love You Anymore") that sustain his formidable standards. Forget the forced issue of his putative ties to "new country": Lovett is simply one of the best American singer-songwriters extant, whether playing raconteur, philosopher king, or wounded romantic. --Sam Sutherland

All songs composed by Lyle Lovett except as noted.

"Don't Touch My Hat" – 3:47
"Her First Mistake" – 6:28
"Fiona" – 4:09
"That's Right (You're Not from Texas)" (Lovett, Ramsey, Rogers) – 4:54
"Who Loves You Better" – 4:46
"Private Conversation" – 4:32
"Promises" – 3:07
"It Ought To Be Easier" – 4:11
"I Can't Love You Anymore" – 3:14
"Long Tall Texan" (Henry Strzelecki) – 3:27
"Christmas Morning" – 3:43
"The Road To Ensenada" – 10:12
"The Girl in the Corner" -- hidden at the end of track 12, following 1:30 of silence

• http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WQQlVim-L.jpg

I listened to this again and have decided it is by far the best Van Halen album of them all. Since most of the songs were written in the 1980s, it sounds like a proper Van Halen album.

If this album had been released in 1986, it would be considered their best. However, for some stupid reason, we don't want to see it that way.

I love it!

Flint said:
51WQQlVim-L.jpg

I listened to this again and have decided it is by far the best Van Halen album of them all. Since most of the songs were written in the 1980s, it sounds like a proper Van Halen album.

If this album had been released in 1986, it would be considered their best. However, for some stupid reason, we don't want to see it that way.

I love it!

Fixed! :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

51umNqhl4fL.jpg

Meddle -- Remastered CD

Pink Floyd

1992 EMI/Capital Records

MEDDLE was the first album to hint at the musical identity that would define Pink Floyd in the mid- to late-'70s. Whereas prior releases like UMMAGUMMA and ATOM HEART MOTHER announced the presence of new singer/guitarist/songwriter David Gilmour, MEDDLE represents the band's Gilmour-influenced evolution toward a sleek, epic, spacey sound. In "Echoes," an ambitious 23-minute soundscape, the pinging of a synthesizer greets the listener before Gilmour's warm, open guitar and gentle crooning gives way to a repetitious, workmanlike rhythm. From here, the music fades into an abyss of whale calls and eerie sonic reverberations.Elsewhere, Floyd dabbles with straightforward cocktail-hour jazz ("San Tropez") and a twisted slow blues ("Seamus"). But it is "One of These Days," MEDDLE's opening track and lone radio staple, that truly previews things to come. Roger Waters's bass, played through a Binson echo unit, establishes the song's manically hypnotic groove, as Richard Wright's synthesizer bursts in and out, Nick Mason's off-kilter drum fills get tossed around, and Gilmour's guitar dive-bombs through it all. These varied sound effects, packaged in a song that clocked in at less than six minutes, were a precedent for the masterpiece that was two years away: DARK SIDE OF THE MOON.

Track Listing
1. One of These Days
2. Pillow of Winds, A
3. Fearless
4. San Tropez
5. Seamus
6. Echoes

Pink Floyd: Dave Gilmour (vocals, guitar); Rick Wright (vocals, keyboards); Roger Waters (vocals, bass); Nick Mason (percussion).Engineers include: Peter Brown, John Leckie, Rob Black.Recorded at Air, EMI, Abbey Road, and Morgan Studios, London, England in 1971.All tracks have been digitally remastered.

df655618050759d392969abbab369544_fu.jpg

Sapphire Blue -- CD

Larry Carlton

2003 Bluebird Records

A real treat for those seeking a "less smooth" Carlton
, January 14, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Sapphire Blue (Audio CD)

People who have listented to Carlton across the decades know that he's not a musician of limited range. I personally enjoy the Fourplay stuff as part of that range but my first question when I learned of his intention to release a blues album was "I wonder if he'll loosen up and let 'er rip" The answer: Yeah. Understand that this is not "Larry Carlton & Double Trouble," nor is it similar to his collaboration "No Substitutions" with Steve Lukather. It's not a Humble Pie CD. The album has a big band / swing blues feel on many tracks but the seriously nasty track...the one where he both plays AND sprays the notes...is the title track. It's eight minutes long and fulfills any "Carlton Plays The Blues" fantasies his fans might have. There are little touches of the "attitude" playing that graced so many of the classic Steely Dan tracks (and help build his legend). "Just An Excuse" is similar in spirit to many of Eric Clapton's slow and aggressive blues tracks, but he is NOT ripping EC off by any means. "Take Me Down," the album closer, prominently features Terry McMillan on harmonica and is the only track that never really catches fire...somewhat "Delta blues" but it never gets out of first gear. The CD is 48 minutes long, living up to the show business creed of "always leave 'em wanting more"...but 48 solid minutes from a master of the instrument like Carlton is absolutely worth the sticker price.

Track Listing
1. Friday Night Shuffle
2. Pair of Kings, A
3. Night Sweats
4. Sapphire Blue
5. 7 for You
6. Slightly Dirty
7. Just an Excuse
8. Take Me Down

Personnel: Larry Carlton (guitar); Mark Douthit (tenor saxophone); Jim Horn (baritone saxophone); Steve Patrick (trumpet); Chris Dunn (trombone); Terry McMillan (harmonica); Matt Rollings (Fender Rhodes); Reese Wynans (Hammond B-3 organ); Michael Rhodes (bass); Billy Kilson (drums); Eric Darken (percussion).Principally recorded at The Sound Kitchen and The Sound Shop, Nashville, Tennessee in 2003.

Today's work truck music....

5a30828fd7a0462ef4113110.L.jpg

Harvest Moon -- CD

Neil Young

1992 Reprise Records

When Neil Young seems about to zig, he zags. Two years after 1990's loud Ragged Glory, he retreats to an old world of steel guitars, gentle folk melodies, and pristine country choruses. (That's Linda Ronstadt, who helped make 1972's Harvest a hit album, singing backup on the follow-up.) Young name-drops Hank Williams, Jimi Hendrix, and his old dog, King, in rich reminiscences about the musical ride he and his fans have shared since the late '60s. The album, as Young sings in "One of These Days," is "a long letter to all the good friends I've known." --Steve Knopper

All tracks written by Neil Young.

"Unknown Legend" – 4:32
"From Hank to Hendrix" – 5:12
"You and Me" – 3:45
"Harvest Moon" – 5:03
"War of Man" – 5:41
"One of These Days" – 4:55
"Such a Woman" – 4:36
"Old King" – 2:57
"Dreamin' Man" – 4:36
"Natural Beauty" (recorded live, 1992) – 10:22

0d63225b9da00ce0b05dd010.L.jpg

Deuces Wild -- CD

B.B. King

1997 MCA Records

This is B.B.'s celebrity duet album, and a straightahead blues album this is not. But longtime fans who are aware of King's genre-stretching capabilities will find much to savor here. Kicking off with B.B. playing some beautiful fills and solo work behind Van Morrison on "If You Love Me," the superstars start lining up to jam with the King, with Tracy Chapman ("The Thrill Is Gone"), Eric Clapton (a funkified "Rock Me Baby"), the Rolling Stones ("Paying the Cost to Be the Boss," with a fine harp solo from Mick Jagger), Willie Nelson (his "Nightlife," long a standard in B.B.'s set list), Bonnie Raitt ("Baby I Love You") and Marty Stuart ("Confessin' the Blues") all turning in fine efforts.

1. If You Love Me - (with Van Morrison)

2. Thrill Is Gone, The - (with Tracy Chapman)

3. Rock Me Baby - (with Eric Clapton)

4. Please Send Me Someone to Love - (with Mick Hucknall)

5. Baby I Love You - (with Bonnie Raitt)

6. Ain't Nobody Home - (with D'Angelo)

7. There Must Be a Better World Somewhere - (with Dr. John)

8. Confessin' the Blues - (with Marty Stuart)

9. Paying the Cost to Be the Boss - (with The Rolling Stones)

10. Dangerous Mood - (with Joe Cocker)

11. Keep It Coming - (with Heavy D)

12. Cryin' Won't Help You - (with David Gilmour/Paul Carrack)

13. Night Life - (with Willie Nelson)

71f2729fd7a012b6f7c40110.L.jpg

Stumble Into Grace -- CD

Emmylou Harris

2003 Nonesuch Records

Over three decades into a highly successful career as an interpreter of other writers' material, Emmylou Harris beats the odds by releasing her second consecutive album of original compositions. She's had plenty of time to learn from the best, and the lessons gained from digging into the work of writers like Gram Parsons, Leonard Cohen, and Townes Van Zandt can be felt here, even if she can't be expected to equal their mastery. She works again with members of the Spyboy band that helped reinvent Harris's sound on WRECKING BALL, but as on RED DIRT GIRL, the churning, rhythmic feel of the former is underplayed in favor of a gentler, more folkish approach.Years ago, few could have guessed that one of Harris's most valuable songwriting partners would be a former member of NYC funk-rockers Luscious Jackson, but Jill Cunniff is a worthy weapon in STUMBLE INTO GRACE's arsenal, co-writing the trenchant "Time in Babylon." Other esteemed writing partners include Daniel Lanois, ex-husband Paul Kennerly, and Kate & Anna McGarrigle, but this ultimately feels like a very personal statement straight from the heart of this seasoned artist.

Track Listing
1. Here I Am
2. I Will Dream
3. Little Bird
4. Time in Babylon
5. Can You Hear Me Now
6. Strong Hand (Just One Miracle)
7. Jupiter Rising
8. O Evangeline
9. Plaisir d'Amour - (French)
10. Lost Unto This World
11. Cup of Kindness

51c-3rh0zEL._SS500_.jpg

Songs With Legs -- CD

Andy Sheppard - Carla Bley - Steve Swallow

1995 Watt/ECM Import

Amazon.com

Carla Bley performs originals in a trio setting, with frequent partner Steve Swallow and an alumnus of her big bands, English saxophonist Andy Sheppard. He shines on tenor and soprano, and clearly has empathic partners. Between judicious contributions, Bley helps out Swallow in the drummerless rhythm section. Fine collaboration, as well as faultless writing and arranging, is her forte, rather than sheer piano chops. As for Swallow, his electric bass sings and lilts, with an attention to his partners that is truly impressive. He steps out front sparingly and effectively. The pieces are all by Bley except Thelonious Monk's "Misterioso," heard here in Bley's fine arrangement. Other highlights are a fittingly galumphing "Wrong Key Donkey" and a swaying "The Lord Is Listenin' to Ya, Hallelujah," where Bley rejoices in the chapel, as her big band would do so successfully a couple of years later on Goes to Church. The album takes her far from the grandeur and bulk of the big-band work, but it has the same intricacy and subtle play of convention and invention. --Peter Monaghan
All compositions by Carla Bley except as indicated

1. "Real Life Hits" - 8:08
2. "The Lord Is Listenin' to Ya, Hallelujah!" - 7:48
3. "Chicken" - 8:21
4. "Misterioso" (Thelonious Monk) - 10:20
5. "Wrong Key Donkey" - 12:02
6. "Crazy with You" - 7:37

* Recorded live on tour in France, Italy, Austria, Germany, Turkey and England in May 1994.

2f8de893e7a0bd4d989ff010.L.jpg

The Stranger -- CD

Billy Joel

1977/1990 Columbia Records

The Stranger remains frozen in time as a great album.,
April 25, 2000
By Leonard Fleisig "Len"
This review is from: The Stranger (Audio CD)

I have always suspected that certain musicians, Bill Joel and Paul Simon come to mind, resent being told by fans that one of their earlier albums remains a great favorite. Both Joel & Simon have graduated, apparently, from musician to artist and I imagine they would prefer that their fans share and appreciate their development and evolution. However, the album listener is not burdened by the pains of artistic growth. Rather, the music that I heard at a certain time in my life remains frozen in time and memory. For me, the Stranger is the best album Joel ever recorded. It has been a long time since I actually sat down and listened to the entire Stranger album. I had forgotten how good it was. Every song works. Even "Just the way you are" which became one of the all-time vomit inducing wedding songs of the '70s sounds good in the context of this album. I still care about Brenda and Eddie. I grew up in Queens at the same time Joel was growing up in Long Island. I knew Brenda and Eddie - or lots of people who could pass for Brenda and Eddie. Only the good die young still has that parochial school resonance and lust-driven undertones that it had almost 30 years ago. So sit down - have a bottle of red, have a bottle of white - it all depends on your appetite - and enjoy this great cd.

All songs written and composed by Billy Joel.

Side 1

"Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)" – 3:30
"The Stranger" – 5:10
"Just the Way You Are" – 4:52
"Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" – 7:37

Side 2

"Vienna" – 3:34
"Only the Good Die Young" – 3:55
"She's Always a Woman" – 3:21
"Get It Right the First Time" – 3:57
"Everybody Has a Dream/The Stranger (Reprise)" – 6:38

2882793509a0e5de5e9c2110.L.jpg

Nicky Holland -- CD

Nick Holland

1992 Epic Associated

Jazz Pop Perfection, July 3, 2002
By Lee Armstrong (Winterville, NC United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER) (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER) (VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Nicky Holland (Audio CD)

Nicky Holland's first CD is a beautiful jazz pop perfection. Born in Hertfordshire, I read she studied at the Royal Academy of Music, loved Carole King's music, and formed a group called Ravishing Beauties with Kate St. John and Virginia Astley, both of whom I've heard. This CD is one of those sweet mellow ones that is always a pleasure to return to in the changer. After the soft instrumental "Prelude," the CD gets rolling with the Sade-like soft jazz of "Ladykiller" where horns give a modern big band feel. Nicky's piano is heavenly on "Tongue Tied & Twisted," "Maybe it's more than madness," she sings on the sunny midtempo melody. Synthesizers bounce happily on "Coloring Blue." "There's a world to awaken; nothing stands in your way; there's a door that is open," Nicky's breezy vocals sing on "Independence Days" with angelic background vocals creating atmosphere. "This Town" with its reverberating piano line and addictive chorus is a pop gem. "Box of Rain" sounds like she tried a bit too hard to go for the hit. "Face of the Moon" is a dramatic jazz pop piece with strings and sax. The soft sway of "Running Around Again" counterpoints the lyric, "Put on my bravest face, everything looks out of place" when her lover is running around again. "The Night We Never Met" is a soft ethereal samba. The CD concludes with a gorgeous piece based on urban themes. The strings give a Beatlesque feel on this most melodically complex track, "Block after block, street after street, building to building, their eyes never meet, each life repeated, layer upon layer, all comings and goings, all changes will pass on the stairs." I've not heard the follow-up "Sense & Sensuality" which is even more highly rated than this CD, but this self-titled work is a treasure that stands up well more than a decade after its original release. SEARCH it out & enjoy!

1. Prelude
2. Ladykiller
3. Tongue-Tied And Twisted
4. Colouring Blue
5. Independence Days
6. This Town
7. Box Of Rain
8. Face Of The Moon
9. Running Around Again
10. The Night We Never Met
11. On The Stairs

3ec4c060ada06373316e0210.L.gif

I hadn't heard this album in a long time, so thought I'd give it a spin.

Lot of memories with this record. One of my favorites!

full.jpg

Whisper -- CD

Jim Lauderdale

1997 BNA Records

First Class Singer-Songwriter, October 20, 1998
By pwb "pwb_in_bru" (Germantown, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whisper (Audio CD)

I bought this record in response to seeing Jim Lauderdale perform at a small club (the Thunderbird Cafe) in Brussels, Belgium this past Spring. The songwriting, playing & technical aspects of 'Whisper' are all first class - especially on the title track - an instant classic and the first album track (which I can't rememeber the title of off the top of my head!). The melodies & hooks are memorable after the first listen and deep enough to discover nuances with each play. What is most impressive is Jim's ability to match his vocal style to the material. He can sound like Marty Stuart on one song, Randy Travis the next and then swing over to George Jones. His ability to cover a range of vocal styles equals Billy Joel in this regard but seems to leave him out of the country radio limelight (- maybe it's better in the shade!).

Track Listing:
1. Goodbye Song
2. Whisper
3. Sometimes
4. Take Me Down a Path (My Heart Won't Know)
5. She Used to Say That to Me
6. In Harm's Way
7. Without You Here It's Not the Same
8. It's Hard to Keep a Secret Anymore
9. We're Gone
10. What Do You Say to That
11. You're Tempting Me
12. Hole in My Head
13. I'll Lead You Home (Featuring Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys)

Yesfan70 said:
3ec4c060ada06373316e0210.L.gif

I hadn't heard this album in a long time, so thought I'd give it a spin.

Lot of memories with this record. One of my favorites!

Great choice, Lenny ROCKS! :music-rockout:

Dennie :handgestures-thumbup:

51vIdq12StL._SS400_.jpg

Genius of Modern Music Volume 1 -- CD

Thelonious Monk

1989 Blue Note Records

ESSENTIAL
, September 16, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Genius of Modern Music 1 (Audio CD)

These were not the first times Thelonious was recorded but this is a perfect place to begin an appriciation him. Monk would go on to record for Prestige, Riverside (possibly his best work), and Columbia but these are his first important recordings (from '47) and this set contains many classics. There is also an equally valuable second volume (from '52) and both are included in the Blue Note box. This is, however, the best way to cheaply acquaint yourself with Monk. Some of the highlights include the beautiful "Ruby My Dear," Well, You Needn't," and Thelonious' first recording of his bop standard "'Round Midnight," the quintessential "late night" theme. Monk bypasses the usual nostalgic, melancholy interpretation of his song and reveals a more sinister, down-and-out desperation at its' core and the "late night" experience in general.

Track listing
1. Humph 2:50
2. Evonce (Alternate Take) 3:00
3. Evonce 3:01
4. Suburban Eyes 2:58
5. Suburban Eyes (Alternate Take) 2:55
6. Thelonious 2:58
7. Nice Work If You Can Get It (Alternate Take) 3:01
8. Nice Work If You Can Get It 3:00
9. Ruby My Dear (Alternate Take) 3:03
10. Ruby My Dear 3:05
11. Well You Need'nt 2:55
12. Well You Need'nt (Alternate Take) 2:52
13. April In Paris (Alternate Take) 2:39
14. April In Paris 3:17
15. Off Minor 2:58
16. Introspection 3:10
17. In Walked Bud 2:54
18. Monk's Mood 3:09
19. Who Knows 2:40
20. 'Round Midnight 3:09
21. Who Knows (Alternate Take) 2:39

0000285671_500_zps61fae9ae.jpg

Drum Boggie - Best of the Big Bands -- Remastered CD

Gene Krupa

1993 Columbia Legacy

Gene Krupa's most famous band was the one he led during 1941-42 that featured vocalist Anita O'Day and trumpeter Roy Eldridge, and this collection spotlights a band almost on par with the aforementioned ensemble. Krupa's drumming is inspired throughout, and supports the fine charts with intermittent snare drum pops and a light hi-hat swing.Few drummers could stir a crowd the way the frenetic Gene Krupa could, and these recordings of many old warhorses bring the man and his music to life. Swinging versions of classics such "Drum Boogie," "There'll Be Some Changes Made," "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy," "St. Louis Blues," "Tuxedo Junction," and "Sweet Georgia Brown" are featured among others, together with the sultry vocals of Irene Daye.

Track Listing
1. Drum Boogie
2. Full Dress Hop
3. There'll Be Some Changes Made
4. No Name Jive
5. Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy
6. Babe Takes a Bow, The
7. Rhumboogie
8. St. Louis Blues
9. Boog It
10. Who?
11. Yes! My Darling Daughter
12. Tuxedo Junction
13. Deep in the Blues
14. Sweet Georgia Brown
15. How 'Bout That Mess?
16. Blue Rhythm Fantasy

Personnel: Gene Krupa (drums); Irene Daye (vocals); Bob Snyder (alto & baritone saxophones); Clint Neagley, Musky Ruffo (alto saxophone); Sam Musiker (tenor saxophone, clarinet); Walter Bates, Sam Donahue (tenor saxophone); Norman Murphy, Rudy Novak, Shorty Sherock, Corky Cornelius, Torg Halten, Nate Kazebier (trumpet); Pat Virgadamo, Jay Kelliher, Babe Wagner, Sid Brantley, Al Jordan, Floyd O'Brien (trombone); Bob Kitsis, Tony D'Amore (piano); Ray Biondi (guitar); Biddy Bastien (acoustic bass).Recorded from 1940 to 1941. Includes liner notes by Richard M. Sudhalter.

Back