• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

51t1HEOwZdL.jpg

Solo Monk -- Remastered CD

Thelonious Monk

1965/2003 Columbia Legacy

From the virtuosic stride of Art Tatum to Sun Ra's brand of outer-limits logic, these sides read like a holistic jazz piano guide. Recorded during a 1964 run at California's "It Club," the performances contained herein offer an intensely personal experience of the "mad genius" alone at the keyboard. Most of the cuts clock in at less than three or four minutes.More than half of this material is standards, the Tin Pan Alley of Monk's youth. "Dinah" is a sweet 1925'er, rendered in fairly straight fashion. Monk's percussive emphasis gives his bass notes the oom-pah of a tuba as his right-hand dances gaily through the golden melody. "Ruby My Dear" is a lovely ballad, given an almost unsettling spaciousness here. The improvisation is relatively spare, with several rounds of the melody grounded in heavily-planted voicings and occasional lead-ins. "Monk's Point" has the simple insistency of many other Monk blues tunes, his left and right hands having a grand time tossing the spotlight back and forth in the solo.

Track Listing
1. Dinah - (Take 2)
2. I Surrender, Dear
3. Sweet and Lovely - (Take 2)
4. North of the Sunset
5. Ruby, My Dear - (Take 3)
6. I'm Confessin' (That I Love You)
7. I Hadn't Told Anyone Till You
8. Everything Happens to Me - (Take 3)
9. Monk's Point
10. I Should Care
11. Ask Me Now - (Take 2)
12. These Foolish Things
13. Introspection
14. Darn That Dream
15. Dinah - (Take 1)
16. Sweet and Lovely - (Take 1)
17. Ruby, My Dear - (Take 1)
18. I'm Confessin' (That I Love You) - (Take 1)
19. I Hadn't Told Anyone Till You - (Take 2)
20. Everything Happens to Me - (Retake 1)
21. Ask Me Now - (Take 1)

Solo performer: Thelonious Monk (piano).Recorded between October 31, 1964 and February 23, 1965. Originally released on Columbia (9149). Includes liner notes by Martin Williams, Peter Keepnews.

^--- Thanks, Dennie! THat's cool, didn't know he had any solo albums... ordered!

You are welcome Pauly! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

KGrHqJrgF6jS-r2wBQecqginMQ60_1.jpg

Master Takes/Savoy Recordings -- CD

Lester Young

1980 Savoy Jazz

Lester Young recorded for Savoy three separate times in four different settings. On Apr. 18, 1944 he performed as part of the Count Basie Orchestra (although Basie himself was absent) for three numbers and then cut four more songs with a septet that included trumpeter Billy Butterfield and pianist Johnny Guarnieri. A few weeks later he was featured on four selections in front of the Count Basie rhythm section. Prez made his final Savoy appearance in 1949, fronting a young sextet that also included pianist Junior Mance and drummer Roy Haynes. All of those performances are included on this CD minus the many alternate takes which can be heard (along with this entire program) on The Complete Savoy Recordings. by Scott Yanow

1. Circus in Rhythm
2. Poor Little Plaything
3. Tush
4. These Foolish Things
5. Exercise in Swing
6. Salute to Fats
7. Basie English
8. Blue Lester
9. I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance With You
10. (Back Home Again In) Indiana
11. Jump Lester Jump
12. Crazy Over J-Z
13. Ding Dong
14. Blues 'N' Bells
15. June Bug

I was never a Dead fan. Then I bumped into this a few weeks ago,

Now, I'm a Deadhead and proud of it.

41KaY2%2BUOKL.jpg

I love this set.

5139XAPKQSL.jpg

Kazaam said:
Bell Biv DeVoe.
Were they the guys that did "That Girl is Poison"? I've had a "Best of New Jack Swing" CD in the car for awhile now, and that tune keeps coming up; Most dreadful, club-footed snare drum loop in recorded history, and it was a hit... :x

Yep!!! :happy-smileygiantred:

I bought the CD at Savers today for two bucks. And mostly just for that one song.

51QAcCXHPpL._SY300_.jpg

I listened to this over and over mostly in the car. Once in the HT.

I think that the song writing and musicianship brings back what I remember from The Pat Travers Band from his younger years.

That means that I like this one a lot!

The mix has something to be desired. Too much low end with the vocals sounding a little muddy.

Anyway.............

Rock On Pat!!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

61r8uugOCAL.jpg

Nature - The Essence Part III - CD

Amhad Jamal

1998 Atlantic Records

Ahmad Jamal.Still pursuing his own muse, Jamal is up to his usual tricks with his hypnotic vamps and and feverish runs, as ever refusing to toe the line and sound like everyone else. In this, the third installment of his Essence series, Jamal adds a different twist -- a fine jazz steel drum player named Othello Molineaux -- and he mixes a few transfigured standards ("The End of a Love Affair" is completely re-routed through his nervous system) with pieces of his own. The first version (for quartet) of "If I Find You Again" is a magnificent example of the tension Jamal can generate. "And We Were Lovers" and "Chaperon" are huge, borderline bombastic piano solos that ought to erase any doubts that Jamal continues to command one monster keyboard technique. As in the previous Essence entries, a guest horn player shows up briefly, tenorman Stanley Turrentine in epigrammic form on "Devil's in My Den," and the ultra-responsive rhythm section remains Idris Muhammad (drums) and James Cammack (bass). ~ Richard S. Ginell

Track Listing
1. If I Find You Again - (Quartet)
2. Like Someone in Love
3. Chaperon
4. Devil's in My Den
5. And We Were Lovers
6. Fantastic Vehicle
7. End of a Love Affair, The
8. Cabin in the Sky: Cabin in the Sky/Poor Pierrot/The Reprise
9. If I Find You Again

Personnel: Ahmad Jamal (piano); Stanley Turrentine (saxophone); James Cammack (bass); Othello Molineaux (steel drums); Idris Muhammad (drums).Engineers: Gerard de Haro, Mathieu Chatagnon, Katsuhiko Naito.Recorded at Studio La Buissonne, Pernes Les Fontaines, France from July 23-25, 1997, and Masuo's Studio, New York, New York on January 2, 1998. Includes liner notes by Ahmad Jamal.

Bob R said:
I was never a Dead fan. Then I bumped into this a few weeks ago,

Now, I'm a Deadhead and proud of it.

41KaY2%2BUOKL.jpg

I love this set.

5139XAPKQSL.jpg

Nice to have you aboard Bob! :banana-blonde:

Dennie :eek:bscene-smokingjoint:

51cyWWnZOGL.jpg

Freedom Highway -- Remastered CD

The Staple Singers

1991 Columbia/Legacy

In soulfulness, nuance, and the power and feeling in the performances, these classics equal anything else in the Staple catalogue.The vibe here is extremely laid back, with a weary-soul feel that brings to mind late-period Sly Stone. Pop Staples's groovy, slightly countrified guitar leads the family through soulful takes on favorites like "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" and spirited numbers like the title track.The R&B and funk influences that would dominate the group's chart-busting Stax tenure in the 1970s are evident here, but feel even more incisive when paired with a sanctified message. Listeners searching for the Staple Singers' 1965 Epic release entitled FREEDOM HIGHWAY should be forewarned that the 1991 reissue on Legacy includes only two tracks from original LP (the rest are from Epic sessions from the same time period).

Track Listing
1. Will the Circle Be Unbroken
2. Move Along Train
3. Are You Sure
4. Wade in the Water
5. If I Could Hear My Mother Pray Again
6. Glory, Hallelujah! Glory
7. The Lord's Prayer
8. Jacob's Ladder
9. Why? (Am I Treated So Bad)
10. Praying Time
11. For What It's Worth
12. Hammer and Nails
13. Freedom Highway
14. What You Gonna Do?
15. Samson and Delilah
16. Nobody's Fault But Mine
17. Be Careful of Stones That You Throw
18. This Train

bfe681b0c8a0d0b89992b110.L.jpg

Rockferry -- CD

Duffy

2008 Mercury Records

Amazon.co.uk

Rockferry, the Welsh singer's lovingly constructed debut album, has already succeeded beyond expectations, and although Duffy may not quite be the ingénue portrayed by a clever press campaign (she nearly won a local television talent show a few years back while a single credited to Aimee Duffy is still available on iTunes) she is surely the most appealing of the current flood of young soul sirens. The astonishing title track, co-written by Bernard Butler, sounded like a lost transmission that had taken decades to get through as soon as it hit radio last year. But the gently rolling soul ballad "Stepping Stone", that strapping, inescapable monster hit "Mercy", the ice cool "Serious" (the one time she really does channel the spirit of Dusty Springfield) and the wistful, elegant "Warwick Avenue" are similarly effective. Suggestions by some that Rockferry is little more than sixties pastiche are churlish. Butler's previous work with David McAlmont (featured here as a backing singer) showed his skill at writing and arranging the dramatic, while her other collaborators such as Steve Booker and the team of Jimmy Hogarth and Eg White are hardly lightweights. But despite some wonderful orchestral settings, it's Duffy's terrific voice that makes this so satisfying, even overpowering Butler's exquisitely underplayed guitar work on "Rockferry" itself. Growling the blues on "Syrup & Honey" or belting it out over his lovingly arranged wall of sound on "Distant Dreamer", she sets the tone throughout, several of her songs dealing with escape, both physical and romantic. The sound of someone singing herself to stardom, Rockferry is at times genuinely amazing. --Steve Jelbert

1. "Rockferry" Duffy, Bernard Butler 4:14
2. "Warwick Avenue" Duffy, Jimmy Hogarth, Eg White 3:46
3. "Serious" Duffy, Butler 4:10
4. "Stepping Stone" Duffy, Steve Booker 3:28
5. "Syrup & Honey" Duffy, Butler 3:18
6. "Hanging on Too Long" Duffy, Hogarth, White 3:56
7. "Mercy" Duffy, Booker 3:41
8. "Delayed Devotion" Duffy, Hogarth, White 2:57
9. "I'm Scared" Duffy, Hogarth 3:08
10. "Distant Dreamer" Duffy, Butler 5:05

51NMMQ6XGKL.jpg

Stardust -- Remastered CD

Louis Armstrong

1988 CBS/Portrait Masters Series

While Louis Armstrong sang scat and blues on the early Hot Five and Hot Seven recordings, these 1930-1932 Louis Armstrong Orchestra sessions mark the beginning of Armstrong's reign as full-fledged bandleader and popular vocalist, perhaps the most influential singer ever if one doesn't count Bing Crosby. Who influenced whom and at what point is something for scholars to argue over. Meanwhile we can only marvel at Armstrong's two equally classic reconstructions of "Stardust" as well as "Georgia On My Mind," "Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea" and "You Can Depend On Me."Armstrong's deep musicality, flexible phrasing and rhythmic genius forever freed the Tin Pan Alley tunes from the semi-formal or overly broad (Al Jolson) renditions which had previously been their lot. On the other hand, jazz itself (not to mention Amstrong ) greatly broadened its emotional and artistic appeal by incorporating this thriving Broadway-derived songbook. Jazz would no longer be exclusively the province of hot and/or cool riffs, listened to primarily by aficionados.

Track Listing
1. My Chinatown Chinatown
2. Stardust - (version 1)
3. Stardust - (version 2)
4. You Can Depend on Me
5. Georgia on My Mind
6. The Lonesome Road
7. I Got Rhythm
8. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea - (version 1)
9. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea - (version 2)
10. Kickin' the Gong Around
11. Home (When Shadows Fall)
12. All of Me
13. You Funny Thing Love
14. Tiger Rag
15. Keepin' Out of Mischief Now
16. You Made the Night Too Long Lawd

Personnel includes: Louis Armstrong (vocals, trumpet).Includes liner notes by Nat Hentoff.Digitally remastered by Mark Wilder.This is part of the Portrait Masters series.

51YDZd7AwGL._SS400_.jpg

Trio and Quartet Showcase -- Remastered 2 CD Set

Benny Goodman - Teddy Wilson - Gene Krupa - Lionel Hampton

2007 Primo Records (EU Import)

Although Benny Goodman was best known for his star vocalists and big band, it is his small group recordings that stand the test of time as unadulterated jazz with no frills. Primo Records provides proof in the form of 38 classic swing performances recorded between 1935 and 1938 by Goodman's trio and quartet, with pianist Teddy Wilson, drummer Gene Krupa and vibraphonist/vocalist Lionel Hampton. This excellent collection also contains a selection of live recordings including excerpts from Goodman's legendary 1938 Carnegie Hall concert. Primo's Trio and Quartet Showcase is highly recommended as both a tribute to Goodman's groundbreaking racially mixed small group swing band and a useful introduction to the fundamental jazz repertoire commonly in use during the '30s. ~ arwulf arwulf

Track Listing

Disc 1

1. After You've Gone
2. Body and Soul
3. Who?
4. Someday Sweetheart
5. China Boy
6. More Than You Know
7. Oh Lady Be Good
8. Nobody's Sweetheart
9. Moonglow
10. Exactly Like You
11. Dinah
12. Vibraphone Blues
13. Sweet Sue, Just You
14. My Melancholy Baby
15. Stompin' at the Savoy - Benny Goodman & His Orchestra
16. Tiger Rag
17. Whispering
18. Tea for Two
19. Runnin' Wild
20. Ida, Sweet as Apple Cider

Disc 2

1. Handful of Keys
2. Liza
3. Where or When
4. Vieni Vieni
5. Sweet Lorraine
6. Avalon
7. The Man I Love
8. I Got Rhythm
9. Body and Soul
10. China Boy
11. Stompin' at the Savoy - Benny Goodman & His Orchestra
12. Dizzy Spells
13. My Gal Sal
14. Nice Work If You Can Get It
15. Killer Diller
16. Benny Sent Me
17. Ding Dong Daddy
18. Have You Met Miss Jones?

AhmadJamalCountem88_zps52fed3c2.jpg

Count 'em 88 - Remastered CD

Ahmad Jamal Trio

1956/2012 101 DISTRIBUTION

Ahmads first album with his new trio of Israel Crosby (bass) and Walter Perkins (drums), Count Em 88 was originally released in 1956. Whilst he was popular in and around the Chicago area, his nationwide breakout wouldnt occur for another year, but there are signs on this album that the template he would later use to so much effect was very much in place. There is great interplay between Ahmad, Israel and Walter, making this as vital a release as any of the subsequent albums and on par with anything that came before or after.

TRACK LIST

1. Volga Boatman
2. On Green Dolphin Street
3. How About You?
4. I Just Can't See For Looking
5. Spring Will Be A Little Late This Year
6. Beat Out One
7. Maryam
8. Easy To Remember
9. Jim Love Sue

51vSXrgKs0L.jpg

The Legendary OKEH & Epic Recordings -- Remastered CD

Ahmad Jamal

2005 Epic/Legacy

Recorded between 1951 and '55, these LEGENDARY OKEH & EPIC sessions present the revered, though often underrated, jazz pianist Ahmad Jamal hitting his stride. Backed by Ray Crawford on guitar and either Israel Crosby or Eddie Calhoun on bass, Jamal unveils inventive percussion-less takes on a number of standards, along with two originals, with his spare yet energetic piano work showcased on every track. These are the recordings that directly influenced Miles Davis's late-'50s aesthetic, and this beautifully remastered collection is a reissue of the highest order. For aficionados of jazz piano, this album is essential.

Track Listing
1. Surrey with the Fringe on Top, The
2. Will You Still Be Mine?
3. Ahmad's Blues
4. Gal in Calico, A
5. Aki and Ukthay
6. Billy Boy
7. Black Beauty
8. Love for Sale
9. Something to Remember You By
10. Poinciana
11. Don't Blame Me
12. Autumn Leaves
13. They Can't Take That Away from Me
14. Old Devil Moon
15. It's Easy to Remember
16. Squeeze Me
17. Crazy He Calls Me
18. Pavanne
19. Perfidia
20. Rica Pulpa
21. Donkey Serenade, The

Personnel: Ahmad Jamal (piano); Ahmad Jamal; Eddie Calhoun, Israel Crosby (acoustic bass); Ray Crawford (guitar).Audio Remixer: Mark Wilder.Liner Note Authors: Nat Hentoff; Randy Weston.Recording information: Columbia Studios, Chicago, IL (10/25/1951-10/25/1955); Columbia's 30th Street Studio, New York, NY (10/25/1951-10/25/1955).Author: Miles Davis.Photographer: Don Hunstein.Arranger: Ahmad Jamal.

LesterYoungTheJazzGiants_zps2c3908c6.jpg

The Jazz Giants -- Remastered CD

Lester Young

1956/1991 Verve Records

Most critics agree that Lester Young's 1950's recordings were flawed. His seminal work is from the mid to late '40s. However, THE JAZZ GIANTS, from 1956, proves otherwise. Young's performance on this set is quite inspired, although some critics contend that this was due to the superb interplay between the musicians (trumpeter Roy Eldridge, trombonist Vic Dickerson, and others).On tunes such as "I Didn't Know What Time It Was," "Gigantic Blues," and others, Young plays with his usual light and feathery touch. Roy Eldridge, who employs a brassy, more roughhewn approach, is the perfect match to Young's smooth, sparse playing. Indeed, this variety adds spice and momentum to each tune. THE JAZZ GIANTS is definitely Lester Young's best work from his later period.

Track Listing
1. I Guess I'll Have to Change My Plan
2. I Didn't Know What Time It Was
3. Gigantic Blues
4. This Year's Kisses
5. You Can Depend on Me

Personnel: Lester Young (tenor saxophone); Roy Eldridge (trumpet); Vic Dickenson (trombone); Teddy Wilson (piano); Freddie Green (guitar); Gene Ramey (bass); Jo Jones (drums).Recorded at Fine Sound, New York, New York on January 12, 1956.Digitally remastered by Dennis Drake.

Today's work truck music...

519B2SzPErL._SS500_.jpg

Deja Vu -- CD

George Duke

2010 Heads-Up Records

Album Notes
Déjà Vu is 2010's bookend to 2008's Dukey Treats. That record explored George Duke's funk roots and channeled everything from Earth, Wind & Fire to P-Funk, artists who inspired his own successful run of funk outings. Déjà Vu revisits Duke's love of electric funky jazz. Here he recalls some of the production and musical techniques he employed in the '70s. Along with playing a load of synths (mono and analog), Rhodes and Wurlitzer electric pianos, clavinet, acoustic piano, and even miniMoog bass are in abundance, too. The production is pure retro; compared to the contemporary jazz recordings of the 21st century, Déjà Vu sounds almost organic. Duke composed, produced, and arranged the set as well. "A Melody" recalls -- seamlessly -- the sounds and textures explored on 1979's A Brazilian Love Affair. A chorus of backing vocalists glides above a modern samba groove, driven by various synth strings and percussion and rhythms held steady by drummer Ronald Bruner, Jr. and bassist Michael Manson. The breezy melody gives way to some fine inside improvisation. "You Touch My Brain" is slippery laid-back funk à la Sly Stone's Fresh album, with a nice trumpet break by Nicholas Payton. "What Goes Around Comes Around" features some nice piano, an excellent vocal through a synth, and a gorgeous Everette Harp soprano solo. "Ripple in Time" is dedicated to Miles Davis. Duke is is clearly inspired by Davis' Tutu period. It's a lengthy but moody beginning, but cracks into a beautiful funky vamp at the two-minute mark. Duke's bass sound is big and meaty; Oscar Brashear provides excellent trumpet work next to Harp's tenor sax before a badass guitar by Jef Lee Johnson claims the vamp and works it to death. "Stupid Is as Stupid Does" might have come from his Feel or Faces in Reflection outings from the mid-'70s. Hubert Laws' signature flute appears, as does Bob Sheppard's tenor. The title track is the biggest surprise: closing out the album, it reflects the drama of John McLaughlin and Mahavishnu Orchestra, with Duke handling the guitar sounds on a Motif ES8! The violin playing by Sarah Thornblade is a dynamic foil. Déjà Vu is Duke's most consistently satisfying and eclectic recording since 1995's Illusions. Highly recommended. ~ Thom Jurek

Track Listing
1. Melody, A
2. You Touch My Brain
3. What Goes Around Comes Around
4. Bring Me Joy
5. Ripple in Time
6. Oh Really?
7. 6 O'Clock Revisited
8. Come to Me Now
9. Stupid Is as Stupid Does
10. Déjà Vu

Back