• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

f93d9833e7a04c448f9d2110.L.jpg

The King of Swing -- HDCD

Benny Goodman

1998 Sugo Music

The King of Swing by Benny Goodman is a one-of-a-kind collection of unforgettable classics made popular by this legendary giant of the big band era. These memorable studio and concert performances were recorded during his peak years of 1939 through 1951 and include his renowned quartets and sextets featuring guitarist Charlie Christian, vibraphonist Lionel Hampton and pianist Mel Powell and Teddy Wilson, to name a few.

1. If I Had You
2. Between The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
3. I've got a Feeling I'm Falling
4. These Foolish Things
5. Poor Butterfly
6. The Wang Wang Blues
7. After You've Gone
8. Memories of You
9. Body and Soul
10. St. Louis Blues
11. I can't Give You Anything But Love Baby
12. East of the Sun (And West of the Moon)
13. Limehouse Blues
14. Bye Bye Blues

51SyfXTns3L.jpg

The Fabulous Sidney Bechet -- Remastered 24 Bit CD

Sidney Bechet with Sidney De Paris and Jonah Jones

1958/2001 Blue Note Records

As producer Michael Cuscuna explains in a helpful addendum, The Fabulous Sidney Bechet is a reissue of a reissue. The 1958 release combined two earlier 10" LPs recorded in New York in 1951 and 1953 during short visits by Bechet, who at that time was already living as an expatriate in France. This new package includes two previously omitted tracks, "There'll Be Some Changes Made" and "Shine," as well as three alternate takes from the 1951 session and two from the 1953 session. Bechet was in his twilight years at the time of these recordings, and still his soprano sax playing is extremely forceful, cutting through the six-piece ensembles like a beacon, loud as anything yet devoid of stridency. The music is old-school New Orleans swing, and this at a time when bebop and cool were the state of the art. At the 1951 session Bechet is joined by trumpeter Sidney de Paris, trombonist Jimmy Archey, pianist Don Kirkpatrick, bassist Pops Foster, and drummer Manzie Johnson. Archey remains for the 1953 date, with Jonah Jones on trumpet, Buddy Weed on piano, Walter Page on bass, and Johnny Blowers on drums. The later ensemble has a more modern sound, owing not least of all to the contrasting styles of the bassists. Foster plays in the older "slap" style while Page plays in the smoother "walking" style that he helped invent. In addition to the impeccable sound quality, this album has great old songs like "Ballin' the Jack," "Rose of the Rio Grande," and "Sweet Georgia Brown" to recommend it. And this isn't just a showcase for Bechet. Every soloist on the record is brilliant. ~ David R. Adler

Track Listing
1. There'll Be Some Changes Made
2. Original Dixieland One-Step
3. Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives to Me
4. That's a Plenty
5. Ballin' the Jack
6. Avalon
7. There'll Be Some Changes Made - (alternate take)
8. Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives to Me - (alternate take)
9. Ballin' the Jack - (alternate take)
10. Rose of the Rio Grande
11. Black and Blue
12. Sweet Georgia Brown
13. All of Me
14. I'm a Ding Dong Daddy (From Dumas)
15. Shine
16. Rose of the Rio Grande - (alternate take)
17. Black and Blue - (alternate take)

Personnel: Sidney Bechet (soprano saxophone); Sidney De Paris, Jonah Jones (trumpet); Jimmy Archey (trombone); Buddy Weed, Don Kirkpatrick (piano); Pops Foster, Walter Page (bass); Manzie Johnson, Johnny Blowers (drums).Producer: Alfred Lion.Reissue producer: Michael Cuscuna.Engineers include: Doug Hawkins.Recorded at WOR Studios, New York, New York on November 5, 1951 & Audio Video Studios, New York on August 25, 1953. Originally released on Blue Note (1207). Includes liner notes by Nat Hentoff & Michael Cuscuna.Digitally remastered by Ron McMaster.

39bd024128a044d2df72c010.L.jpg

Gaucho -- DVD-A

Steely Dan

1980/2004 MCA Records

Gaucho on DVD-A, May 25, 2011
By Joe Appierto - See all my reviews

This review is from: Gaucho [DVD Audio] (DVD Audio)

This is one of my favorite DVD-A recordings because it's both a fine recording that highlights the benefits of the DVD-A medium (even in stereo which is how I listen to it) and musically. It's also one of my favorite Steely Dan albums. The price is competitive for an album of this quality and I believe it's a good choice for both music lovers and audiophiles. Heartily recommended.

Side one

"Babylon Sisters" – 5:55
"Hey Nineteen" – 5:10
"Glamour Profession" – 7:29

Side two

"Gaucho" – 5:32
"Time Out of Mind" – 4:14
"My Rival" – 4:34
"Third World Man" – 5:13

New to me. I love it. She sounds similar to Grace Potter with a kick-ass horn section.
Sister Sparrow and the Dirty Birds. Pound of Dirt album.

sister-sparrow-cover.jpeg

During my discovery of the Dead,

I find two songs on this disc great,

Estimated Prophet and the epic Terrapin Station part 1

513-lkt9XoL.jpg

Today's work truck music....

61CAJYYEFRL._SS500_.jpg

Shangri-La -- CD/DVD

Mark Knopfler

2004 Reprise Records

Amazon.com

Mark Knopfler isn't afraid to drop names. The heavyweight Cassius Clay laid low, the man who made burgers and fries into big business, the kings of rock & roll and skiffle are among the motley assortment who pass through Knopfler's fourth solo album. Recorded in Malibu with a tight crew of steadfast Knopfler sidemen, Shangri-La (the title comes from the studio where the entire set was recorded) chronicles the foibles of the acclaimed and the adrift, all delivered with the nonchalant grace that has marked Knopfler's music since Dire Straits emerged in the late '70s. Seven of album's 14 originals clock in at between five and seven minutes. That's Knopfler in a nutshell--don't rush things, but don't loose the thread, either. As a songwriter, Knopfler has a storyteller's eye for minutiae, which he delivers with practiced nuance. He overreaches here and there ("Song for Sonny Liston" fails to capture the pathos of the menacing fighter), but also pulls off a few career highlights (the understated crime-drama opener "5.15 a.m."). --Steve Stolder

All songs written by Mark Knopfler.

"5.15 A.M." – 5:54
"Boom, Like That" – 5:49
"Sucker Row" – 4:56
"The Trawlerman's Song" – 5:02
"Back to Tupelo" – 4:31
"Our Shangri-La" – 5:41
"Everybody Pays" – 5:24
"Song for Sonny Liston" – 5:06
"Whoop De Doo" – 3:53
"Postcards from Paraguay" – 4:07
"All That Matters" – 3:08
"Stand Up Guy" – 4:32
"Donegan's Gone" – 3:05
"Don't Crash the Ambulance" – 5:06

Deep-Purple1.jpg

This is a very solid album from these guys, one of my favorite bands ever!!

From Amazon:

Eight years after the release of Rapture Of The Deep, following many rumors later revealed to be unfounded, Deep Purple, one of the most important and influential British rock bands of all time, have confirmed the release of a new album completely made of new studio material.
After various songwriting sessions in Europe, the band recorded and mixed the album in Nashville with producer Bob Ezrin (in his impressive hit record: Pink Floyd's The Wall, Alice Cooper and many others).
The album is rumored to be the perfect match from the original spirit of 70s Purple, and a fresh and modern production.

51vSXrgKs0L.jpg

The Legendary OKEH & Epic Recordings -- Remastered CD

Ahmad Jamal

2005 Epic/Legacy

Recorded between 1951 and '55, these LEGENDARY OKEH & EPIC sessions present the revered, though often underrated, jazz pianist Ahmad Jamal hitting his stride. Backed by Ray Crawford on guitar and either Israel Crosby or Eddie Calhoun on bass, Jamal unveils inventive percussion-less takes on a number of standards, along with two originals, with his spare yet energetic piano work showcased on every track. These are the recordings that directly influenced Miles Davis's late-'50s aesthetic, and this beautifully remastered collection is a reissue of the highest order. For aficionados of jazz piano, this album is essential.

Track Listing
1. Surrey with the Fringe on Top, The
2. Will You Still Be Mine?
3. Ahmad's Blues
4. Gal in Calico, A
5. Aki and Ukthay
6. Billy Boy
7. Black Beauty
8. Love for Sale
9. Something to Remember You By
10. Poinciana
11. Don't Blame Me
12. Autumn Leaves
13. They Can't Take That Away from Me
14. Old Devil Moon
15. It's Easy to Remember
16. Squeeze Me
17. Crazy He Calls Me
18. Pavanne
19. Perfidia
20. Rica Pulpa
21. Donkey Serenade, The

Personnel: Ahmad Jamal (piano); Ahmad Jamal; Eddie Calhoun, Israel Crosby (acoustic bass); Ray Crawford (guitar).Audio Remixer: Mark Wilder.Liner Note Authors: Nat Hentoff; Randy Weston.Recording information: Columbia Studios, Chicago, IL (10/25/1951-10/25/1955); Columbia's 30th Street Studio, New York, NY (10/25/1951-10/25/1955).Author: Miles Davis.Photographer: Don Hunstein.Arranger: Ahmad Jamal.

^--- ok you've posted that enough times, it must be good. :laughing: Ordered!

3b97228348a0097c9fc8f010.L.jpg

Midnight Blue -- RVG Edition 24-bit CD

Kenny Burrell

1963/1999 Blue Note Records

Amazon.com

Kenny Burrell's music is a wonderful blend of elegance and conviction, musical inventiveness and thoughtful restraint. On this 1967 session, the guitarist is joined by regular associates--tenorist Stanley Turrentine, conga drummer Ray Barretto, bassist Major Holley, and drummer Bill English--and together they concentrate on the subtlest and deepest hues of the blues, combining strong rhythmic grooves with a feeling of late-night reflection. There's never a misstep or a superfluous note, from the funky Latin hit "Chitlins Con Carne" to Burrell's deeply felt solo "Soul Lament" and the concentrated swing of "Gee, Baby, Ain't I Good to You." The result is a masterpiece, and the 24-bit remastering by the original engineer, Rudy Van Gelder, adds to the spaciousness and intimacy that have always been hallmarks of the session. --Stuart Broomer

Except where otherwise noted, all songs composed by Kenny Burrell.

"Chitlins con Carne" – 5:30
"Mule" (Burrell, Major Holley, Jr.) – 6:56
"Soul Lament" – 2:43
"Midnight Blue" – 4:02
"Wavy Gravy" – 5:47
"Gee Baby, Ain't I Good to You" (Andy Razaf, Don Redman) – 4:25
"Saturday Night Blues" – 6:16
"Kenny's Sound" (reissue bonus track) – 4:43
"K Twist" (reissue bonus track)– 3:36

Kenny Burrell – guitar
Stanley Turrentine – tenor saxophone
Major Holley – bass
Billy Gene English – drums
Ray Barretto – conga

PaulyT said:
^--- ok you've posted that enough times, it must be good. :laughing: Ordered!

Yeah, it's really good. Ahmad Jamal use's the space between the notes, just like Miles. :bow-blue:

I think you'll like it. :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

1726390.jpg

Rock 'n' Roll Party Honoring Les Paul -- CD

Jeff Beck

2011 ATCO Records

Rock And Roll Party To Honor Les Paul, Jeff Beck's Concert Tribute To The Iconic Guitarist Recorded This Summer At The Iridium Jazz Club In New York City.

Jeff Beck paid fitting tribute to Les Paul last summer, celebrating what would have been the pioneering guitarist's 95th birthday by playing his friend and mentor's music, along with classic tunes from the era, in the same Times Square nightclub that Les Paul played every Monday for 14 years, before his death in August 2009.

Sponsored by Gibson Guitar and billed as 'A Celebration of Les Paul,' Jeff Beck was joined by The Imelda May Band at the Iridium Jazz Club on June 9th, 2010. The two-time Rock And Roll Hall of Fame inductee mesmerized the star-studded audience with a tour de force performance of classics that Paul recorded with Mary Ford, 'How High The Moon,' 'Vaya Con Dios' and 'Mockin' Bird Hill,' along with such rock and roll standards as 'Twenty Flight Rock' and 'Walking In The Sand.'

Following this release, Beck will take the 'Rock And Roll Party' on the road for a short U.S. tour. Beck will once again be backed by The Imelda May Band and its enchanting singer, Imelda May, who joined Beck on stage at the 2010 Grammy® Awards for a spot-on rendition of Paul's 'How High The Moon.'

PBS will give fans a first look at a unique edition of this performance with the premiere of 'Jeff Beck Honors Les Paul,' a concert special that captures the first night of 'The Celebration to Honor Les Paul,' which was recorded on June 9, 2010, what would have been Les Paul's 95th birthday. Special guest performers included Troy 'Trombone Shorty' Andrews, Gary U.S. Bonds and Brian Setzer, who traded riffs with Beck on Eddie Cochran's rockabilly classic 'Twenty Flight Rock.'

1. Double Talking Baby
2. Crusin'
3. Train It Kept a Rollin', The
4. Cry Me a River
5. How High the Moon
6. Sitting On Top of the World
7. Bye Bye Blues
8. World is Waiting For the Sunrise, The
9. Vaya Con Dios
10. Mocking Bird Hill
11. I'm a Fool To Care
12. Tiger Rag
13. Peter Gunn
14. Rockin' is Our Business
15. Apache
16. Sleep Walk
17. New Orleans
18. Walking In the Sand
19. Please Mr Jailor
20. Twenty Flight Rock

Who Live at Leeds. Have not listened to this in in entirety in a long time.. great music and memories I think...

hawk52 said:
Who Live at Leeds. Have not listened to this in in entirety in a long time.. great music and memories I think...

...I think you're right! Great choice Hawk! :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

Today's work truck music...

61dpQHYmTEL._SS400_.jpg

After The Gold Rush -- CD

Neil Young

1970/1990 Reprise Records

Neil Young's third solo album followed his Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young masterpiece Déjà Vu. Top 10 and double platinum, with the Top 40 'Only Love Can Break Your Heart' and his condemnation of racism in 'Southern Man,' 1970's After The Gold Rush has been ranked among the '100 Greatest Albums Of All Time' by both Rolling Stone and Time magazine.

All songs written by Neil Young except when noted

Side one

"Tell Me Why" — 2:54
"After the Gold Rush" — 3:45
"Only Love Can Break Your Heart" — 3:05
"Southern Man" — 5:31
"Till the Morning Comes" — 1:17

Side two

"Oh Lonesome Me" (Don Gibson) — 3:47
"Don't Let It Bring You Down" — 2:56
"Birds" — 2:34
"When You Dance I Can Really Love" — 4:05
"I Believe in You" — 3:24
"Cripple Creek Ferry" — 1:34

I'm giving this one a second spin....

51J6ycJri1L.jpg

I Remember Duke, Hoagy & Strayhorn -- CD

Ahmad Jamal

1995 Telarc Jazz

Ahmad Jamal, in paying tribute to Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn, and Hoagy Carmichael, performs nearly every selection on this CD at a very slow tempo. Or at least his sidemen do, since the pianist often plays double-time lines, witty quotes from other songs, and occasional violent outbursts. In general, the music is quite thoughtful and subtle, with plenty of surprising ideas and unusual turns. Carmichael gets stiffed a bit (just two songs counting the "Stardust"-inspired "I Remember Hoagy") and a couple of numbers are departures from the theme (including "My Flower," "Never Let Me Go," and "Goodbye"), but most of the melodies come from the Ellington/Strayhorn songbook. Throughout, Ahmad Jamal (with the assistance of bassist Ephriam Wolfolk and drummer Arti Dixson) shows that he can sound relaxed, alert, and swinging at the slowest of paces, making this a set deserving (and perhaps needing) several listens to appreciate fully. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. My Flower
2. I Got It Bad
3. In A Sentimental Mood
4. Ruby
5. Don't You Know You Know I Care
6. Prelude To A Kiss
7. Do Nothing Til You Hear From Me
8. Chelsea Bridge
9. I Remember Hoagy
10. Skylark
11. Never Let Me Go
12. Goodbye

Personnel: Ahmad Jamal (piano); Ephriam Wolfolk (bass); Arti Dixon (drums).

ffc662e89da043de5ed04110.L.jpg

BassFace - Live At Kuumbwa -- 20 Bit CD

The Ray Brown Trio - Benny Green - Jeff Hamilton

1993 Telarc Jazz

For this Telarc CD, bassist Ray Brown and pianist Benny Green split the solo chores almost evenly with drummer Jeff Hamilton, giving them stellar and creative support. Green has his best improvisations on "Phineas Can Be" and "Taking a Chance on Love," and the trio plays very close attention to dynamics (often swinging very quietly) and quickly reacting to each other's ideas. Rather than merely jamming the songs (the majority of which are standards), the bop-oriented group gives each melody a colorful framework filled with plenty of subtle surprises. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Milestones
2. Bass Face
3. In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning
4. Tin Din Deo
5. Crs-Craft
6. Taking a Chance on Love
7. Remember
8. Makin' Whoopie
9. Phineas Can Be

Today's work truck music...

513sV1qIiAL._SS500_.jpg

Light My Fire -- CD

Eliane Elias

2011 Concord Picante

Editorial Reviews

Since the mid-1980s, pianist/vocalist Eliane Elias has grafted various elements of jazz, pop, soul and other styles to her deep Brazilian roots to create a hybrid groove that exists comfortably on any hemisphere. Borrowing from an array of sources and singing in a variety of languages, Elias consistently forges a sound that appeals to listeners of every geographic locale and cultural persuasion. Her new album, Light My Fire - wields this universal sound to explore the various corners of the human heart - from romance and passion to the shared joy of being alive and embracing everyone into the dance of life. Along with four compositions written or co-written by Elias herself, the album also includes covers of familiar works by songwriters as diverse as Jim Morrison and the Doors, pop icon Stevie Wonder and jazz saxophonist Paul Desmond. Elias weaves it all together into a cohesive whole by injecting each of the twelve songs with distinctly Brazilian grooves that alternate effortlessly between the fiery and passionate to the cool and sophisticated.

"Some of the tunes are cool and laid back, but others are quite rhythmic and joyful," says Elias. "And they have some different grooves. I tend to gravitate toward romance - beautiful melodies, beautiful harmonies and rhythms with a great feel. But more than anything else, I'm singing about love on this record in its different aspects and dimensions. I've made more than 20 records in my career. I'm proud of all of them, but I'm especially excited about this one. It feels like it has a life and an energy all its own. With very few exceptions, nearly all of the songs were first takes. Everybody in the studio was so focused, and it was such a fun record to make. The music was really flowing, and we all felt very relaxed. From the very first day, not a note was wasted by anyone. It was an amazing experience."

Backing Elias on Light My Fire is a crew of twelve high-caliber players, including special guests guitarist/vocalist Gilberto Gil and trumpeter Randy Brecker. The rhythm section - which has accompanied Elias on several of her most recent recordings - includes guitarist Oscar Castro-Neves, bassist Marc Johnson and drummer Paulo Braga. Also on hand to sing with Elias and Gil on "Toda Menina Baiana" is Elias' daughter, singer-songwriter Amanda Brecker. New to Elias' team is percussionist Marivaldo dos Santos, drummer Rafael Barata, guitarists Romero Lubambo and Ross Traut, and flutist Lawrence Feldman.

Tracklist:

01 – Rosa Morena
02 – Stay Cool
03 – Aquele Abraco
04 – Light My Fire
05 – Isto Aqui O Que E (Silver Sandal)
06 – My Cherie Amour
07 – Toda Menina Baiana
08 – Bananeira
09 – Made In Moonlight
10 – Turn To Me (Samba Maracatu)
11 – Take Five