• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Today's work truck music...

715vQTFpVJL.jpg

Endless Summer -- CD

The Beach Boys

1974/1990 Capitol Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Brian Wilson's brilliance manifested itself in the euphoric, cheerfully square, sun-and-fun stuff heard here early on, before it got darker and more complicated. Endless Summer runs from the beginning of the Boys' pinstriped career to 1965, right before the melancholy of Pet Sounds, but also includes the inescapable "Good Vibrations." You can hear a few hints of adolescent sadness and fear--"Help Me, Rhonda" is essentially a kids' sing-along about a wrenching emotional rebound, and the shadow of death is hiding somewhere in "Don't Worry, Baby"--but Wilson is mostly concerned with the cars, waves, and girls that made up the Boys' public image, and his ingenious arrangements (coupled with the group's inimitable harmonies) make everything go down as smoothly as lemonade. --Douglas Wolk

All songs by Brian Wilson/Mike Love, except where noted.

Side 1

"Surfin' Safari" – 2:05
"Surfer Girl" (Brian Wilson) – 2:26
"Catch a Wave" – 2:07
"The Warmth of the Sun" – 2:51
"Surfin' USA" (Chuck Berry/Brian Wilson) – 2:27

Side 2

"Be True to Your School" (Album Version) – 2:07
"Little Deuce Coupe" (Brian Wilson/Roger Christian) – 1:38
"In My Room" (Brian Wilson/Gary Usher) – 2:11
"Shut Down" (Brian Wilson/Roger Christian) – 1:49
"Fun, Fun, Fun" (Album Version) – 2:16

Side 3

"I Get Around" – 2:12
"Girls on the Beach" – 2:24
"Wendy" – 2:16
"Let Him Run Wild" – 2:20
"Don't Worry Baby" (Brian Wilson/Roger Christian) – 2:47

Side 4

"California Girls" – 2:38
"Girl Don't Tell Me" – 2:19
"Help Me, Rhonda" – 3:08 Today! version originally entitled "Help Me, Ronda," with false endings, retitled as "Help Me, Rhonda"
"You're So Good to Me" – 2:14
"All Summer Long" – 2:06

Bonus CD track

"Good Vibrations", was added to the end of Endless Summer in the 1980s for its CD edition.

796782.jpg

Ella And Louis Again - CD

Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong

1957/1987 Verve/Polygram Records

Recorded in 1957, ELLA & LOUIS AGAIN re-teams Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong after the success of their first album and a popular series of concerts at the Hollywood Bowl the previous year. This is not a mere retread, however, and if anything, ELLA & LOUIS AGAIN is the stronger of the two records. Fitzgerald shines particularly brightly, singing with sassy confidence throughout, as if goosed by Pops' infectious good humor. A warmly teasing "Don't Be That Way" opens the record, and the warmhearted joy of that song continues throughout the other 11 tracks. The backing quartet, led by the great Oscar Peterson on piano and featuring guitarist Herb Ellis, bassist Ray Brown, and drummer Louis Bellson, is up to the challenge of playing with these two magnificent singers.

1. Don't Be That Way
2. They All Laughed
3. Autumn In New York
4. Stompin' At The Savoy
5. I Won't Dance
6. Gee Baby Ain't I Good To You
7. Let's Call The Whole Thing Off
8. I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm
9. I'm Putting All My Eggs In One Basket
10. A Fine Romance
11. Love Is Here To Stay
12. Learnin' The Blues

Dennie said:
796782.jpg

Recorded in 1957, ELLA & LOUIS AGAIN re-teams Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong after the success of their first album and a popular series of concerts at the Hollywood Bowl the previous year. This is not a mere retread, however, and if anything, ELLA & LOUIS AGAIN is the stronger of the two records. Fitzgerald shines particularly brightly, singing with sassy confidence throughout, as if goosed by Pops' infectious good humor. A warmly teasing "Don't Be That Way" opens the record, and the warmhearted joy of that song continues throughout the other 11 tracks. The backing quartet, led by the great Oscar Peterson on piano and featuring guitarist Herb Ellis, bassist Ray Brown, and drummer Louis Bellson, is up to the challenge of playing with these two magnificent singers.

1. Don't Be That Way
2. They All Laughed
3. Autumn In New York
4. Stompin' At The Savoy
5. I Won't Dance
10. A Fine Romance
11. Love Is Here To Stay
12. Learnin' The Blues
Dennie,

Thanks. I never knew that one existed. Have added it to my Amazon wish list.

By the by, it was apparently also re-issued as a hybrid SACD. Any sense, from listening to the CD, that it would benefit from such?

Jeff

JeffMackwood said:
Dennie said:
796782.jpg

1. Don't Be That Way
2. They All Laughed
3. Autumn In New York
4. Stompin' At The Savoy
5. I Won't Dance
10. A Fine Romance
11. Love Is Here To Stay
12. Learnin' The Blues
Dennie,

Thanks. I never knew that one existed. Have added it to my Amazon wish list.

By the by, it was apparently also re-issued as a hybrid SACD. Any sense, from listening to the CD, that it would benefit from such?

Jeff

Hey Jeff, sorry about the delay in responding. I've been out of town.

I'm not sure, the CD sounds good. I've never heard the SACD, so I really can't comment on it.

The Remastered 2003 version may be near the quality of the SACD at half the price. I love Ella and Louis, but I don't know that I would drop $40 on the SACD.

Keep us posted,

Dennie

9e92a2c008a0e277bc3cb010.L.jpg

Philly Style -- CD

Jeff Lorber

2003 Narada Records

The soul-jazz minded keyboardist has been a legendary pop-fusion and smooth-jazz artist for several decades, and producer Steven Dubin had been a huge smooth-jazz force for several years (working with Peter White, Richard Elliot and Najee). The two Philadelphia natives never crossed paths (despite having gone to the same high school and played the same clubs), however, until Lorber hired him to work on his album Kickin' It. This disc continues the fun, feisty and funky retro-soul vibe of that disc in an even fuller celebration of their Phillyness. Lorber is so well known for his old school Rhodes textures (which were "new school" when he first did them in the 70s) that it's nice to hear so much classy acoustic piano here, as on the seductive, horn drenched opening track "Under Wraps." Lorber uses the Rhodes as an underpinning harmony, but his ivory soloing is what makes the tune shimmer. The hooky title track collaboration with Elliot offers the same type of vibe, with brass and piano soloing galore before a break in the action, where Lorber turns fully to his Rhodes mastery, punching along with the horns. He keeps the Rhodes-sax duetting with rising horns process going on the well titled "Soul Food," which features vocalist Naila. "Laissez Faire" is all laid back cool, as is the mystical acoustic piano ballad "When She Smiles," while the centerpiece jam "Uncle Darrow's" captures the classic Rhodes centered Crusaders flavor with a crisp horn-harmony-duality provided by Gary Meek (sax) and Ron King (trumpet). It's kind of hard to imagine that any Jeff Lorber disc isn't truly Philly-styled, but it's nice to see he's finally acknowledging that influence more directly. ~ Jonathan Widran

Track Listing
1. Under Wraps
2. Gigabyte
3. Regardless Of
4. Philly Style
5. Soul Food
6. Laissez Faire
7. Step on It
8. Uncle Darrow's
9. When She Smiles
10. Serpentine Lane

Personnel: Jeff Lorber (arranger, piano, Wurlitzer piano, Fender Rhodes piano, synthesizer bass); Naila (vocals); Gary Meek (soprano & tenor saxophones); Dan Higgins, Richard Elliot (tenor saxophone); Ron King, Jerry Hey (flugelhorn); Bill Reichenbach (trombone); Nelson Jackson, Robbie Nevil (keyboards); Tony Maiden (guitar); Alex Al (bass); John Roberts (drums); Lenny Castro (percussion).Recorded at JHL Sounds, Pacific Palisades, California.

514VHlpwlTL.jpg

The Lady's In Love WIth You -- CD

Maxine Sullivan Sings the music of Burton Lane

1998 Harbinger/Koch Records

On this project, Maxine Sullivan (already a top jazz vocalist for 48 years) sings tasteful versions of 16 songs written by the underrated but very talented composer Burton Lane. Best-known among the tunes (which feature Sullivan accompanied by pianist Keith Ingham and such fine players as trumpeter Glenn Zottola, Phil Bodner on clarient and alto, and guitarist Marty Grosz) are "The Lady's in Love With You," "Everything I Have Is Yours," "On a Clear Day" and "I Hear Music," but even the obscurities are superior. by Scott Yanow

THE LADY'S IN LOVE WITH YOU (2:57)
HOW'DJA LIKE TO LOVE ME? (2:55)
EVFERYTHING I HAVE IS YOURS (3:12)
SAYS MY HEART (2:45)
'TAIN'T NO USE (3:43)
ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER (2:02)
POOR YOU (3:30)
HOW ARE THINGS IN GLOCCA MORRA? (4:45)
COME BACK TO ME (3:24)
DANCING ON A DIME (2:41)
TOO LATE NOW (3:51)
HAVE FEET WILL DANCE (1:58)
STOP! YOU'RE BREAKIN' MY HEART (2:58)
HOW ABOUT YOU? (2:44)
WHERE HAVE I SEEN YOUR FACE BEFORE? (3:18)
I HEAR MUSIC (2:35)

41SAJ2JGREL.jpg

Gemini -- Remastered CD

Les Spann

1960/2001 Jazzland/OJC Records

Les Spann was a perfect example of a jazz artist who had an impressive list of sideman credentials but never got very far as a leader. Although he played with heavyweights like Quincy Jones, Dizzy Gillespie, Johnny Hodges, and Ben Webster, the guitarist/flutist didn't record on his own extensively -- which is regrettable because Spann was an intriguing musician. How many guitarists are equally proficient when it comes to playing the flute? Spann's two instruments get equal time on Gemini, an excellent hard bop date that was produced by the ubiquitous Orrin Keepnews. This album, which Fantasy reissued on CD on its Original Jazz Classics imprint in 2001, was recorded at two different sessions in December 1960. One finds Spann on flute, while the other finds him on guitar. Both sessions employ Julius Watkins on French horn, Tommy Flanagan on piano, and Sam Jones on upright bass, but there are two different drummers -- Al "Tootie" Heath at one session, Louis Hayes at the other. Spann gives 100 percent at both sessions. As a guitarist, he is bluesy and expressive on material that ranges from Quincy Jones' "Stockholm Sweetnin'" and Dizzy Gillespie's "Con Alma" to the standard "There Is No Greater Love." But he is equally impressive when he picks up the flute on tracks that include the melancholy "Afterthought" and a lyrical performance of the standard "It Might as Well Be Spring." One thing Spann doesn't do on this album is play both flute and guitar on the same tune; he is careful to keep them separate. And while it would have been interesting to hear him play a flute solo right after a guitar solo, Gemini is still excellent. It's too bad that Spann didn't do a lot more recording as a leader. by Alex Henderson

Tracks:

01. Smile
02. Con Alma
03. Q's Dues Blues
04. It Might As Well Be Spring
05. Stockholm Sweetnin'
06. Blues For Gemini
07. Afterthought
08. (There Is ) No Greater Love

Personnel:

Les Spann (fl, g)
Julius Watkins (frhn)
Tommy Flanagan (p)
Sam Jones &, Albert “Tootie” Heath (b)
Louis Hayes (d)

Recorded in New York, December 8 & 16, 1960.

51A2X90Uj2L.jpg

Hot & Cool -- CD

Tony Bennett sings Ellington

1999 RPM/Columbia Records

Despite his well-publicized and well-deserved comeback, Tony Bennett's late-'90s releases didn't quite lived up to the buildup. This masterful tribute to Duke Ellington effectively righted the balance. With the excellent Ralph Sharon arranging for big band as well as providing his usual stellar piano accompaniment, Bennett turns in an all-around vocal performance that, for the (slight) vocal deterioration to be expected from a singer in his 70s, can be only be called magnificent. Duke's generous musicality, which shines in every note he ever wrote, is perfectly matched here by Bennett's equally generous yet always sophisticated song sense.Though Sharon leads the big band, the Italian arranger Jorge Calandrelli provided the straight orchestral arrangements. Except for Johnny Mandel, no one today can coax such delicate beauty from woodwinds and strings. There is probably no more emotionally expansive version of "Do Nothin' Till You Hear From Me" anywhere. And that's just the first track. For contrast, Bennett interprets the lovely "Azure" and "Sophisticated Lady" in a near whisper. Probably no one has made this musically exciting an album this late in his career except, of course, Duke Ellington himself.

Track Listing
1. Do Nothin' Till You Hear from Me
2. Mood Indigo
3. She's Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)
4. Caravan
5. Chelsea Bridge
6. Azure
7. I'm Just a Lucky So and So
8. In a Sentimental Mood
9. Don't Get Around Much Anymore
10. Sophisticated Lady
11. In a Mellow Tone
12. Day Dream
13. Prelude to a Kiss
14. It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)

Personnel includes: Tony Bennett (vocals); Jorge Calandreli, Ralph Burns (conductor); Wynton Marsalis (trumpet); Al Grey (trombone); Joel Smirnoff (violin).The Ralph Sharon Quartet: Ralph Sharon (piano); Gray Sargent (guitar); Paul Langosch (bass); Clayton Cameron (drums).Recorded at the Hit Factory, New York, New York. Includes liner notes by Nat Hentoff.BENNETT SINGS ELLINGTON HOT & COOL won the 2000 Grammy Award for Best Tradtional Pop Vocal Performance. "Chelsea Bridge" was nominated for the 2000 Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Arrangement. "Day Dream" was nominated for the 2000 Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s).Tributee: Duke Ellington.

51JKWJxW0aL.jpg

Sir Duke -- CD

Duke Ellington

1998 Newsound 2000 LTD.

It's an indication of Ellington's prolific, six-decade output that one could assemble a recording like SIR DUKE simply by bringing together nearly a dozen compositions all recorded in the last few months of 1946. "Happy Go Lucky Local, Parts 1 and 2" and "Diminuendo in Blue" are the only particularly well-known pieces included here, and each owes its notoriety to later developments. Jimmy Forrest adapted "Happy Go Lucky Local Part 2" into "Night Train!" in the 1950s, and "Diminuendo in Blue" played a key role in Duke's 1956 Newport triumph, during which tenorist Paul Gonsalves soloed for a marathon 27 choruses.Still, Ellington's principle of building his material around the talents of his available soloists is vindicated here, as less familiar features like "Golden Feather" and "Sultry Sunset" succeed on the strength of long-time orchestra members Harry Carney (baritone saxophone) and Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone) respectively. Elsewhere, tenorist Al Sears brings both breathy warmth and big-toned bluster to "The Beautiful Indians - Hiawatha;" Hodges holds forth again on "Magenta Haze," and "Flippant Flurry" makes room for the nimble clarinet of Jimmy Hamilton. These pungent tone poems swing as hard as anything else the era had to offer.

TRACKS
1. What Am I Here For? 3:32
2. Raincheck 2:36
3. In A Mellotone 3.23
4. Ko-Ko 2:46
5. Warm Valley 3:27
6. I Got It Bad (And Ain't That Good) 3:24
7. Perdido 3:15
8. Johnny Come Lately 2:47
9. Main Stem 2:54
10. Bojangles (A Portrait Of Bill Robinson) 2:56
11. Take The 'A' Train 3:00
12. Harlem Air Shaft 3:05
13. Concerto For Cootie 3:21
14. All Too Soon 3:27
15. Chelsea Bridge 3:01
16. Moon-Mist 3:04
17. Jack The Bear 3:20
18. Don't Get Around Much Anymore (Never No Lament) 3:18

SIR DUKE is a selection of Duke Ellington's recordings from late 1946.
Personnel includes: Duke Ellington (piano); Kay Davis (vocals); Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone); Al Sears (tenor saxophone); Harry Carney (baritone saxophone); Cat Anderson, Taft Jordan, Harold Baker, Francis Williams (trumpet); Ray Nance (trumpet, violin); Claude Jones, Lawrence Brown, Wilbur DeParis (trombone); Russell Procope (clarinet, alto saxophone); Jimmy Hamilton (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Fred Guy (guitar); Oscar Pettiford (bass); Sonny Greer (drums); Shelton Hemphill.Includes liner notes by Scott Yanow.All songs written or co-written by Duke Ellington except "Blue Skies" (Irving Berlin).

71z48u7XNhL.jpg

Get Lucky -- CD

Mark Knopfler

2009 Warner Bros. Records

Editorial Reviews

This is the sixth solo studio album from the legendary musician and follows 2007's highly successful Kill To Get Crimson, which Rolling Stone heralded as 'a gem' and USA Today described as, '...yet another unpretentious showcase for his unmistakable gifts as a musician, tunesmith and storyteller.'
Recorded at Knopfler's award-winning British Grove Studios in West London, Get Lucky was co-produced with longtime collaborators, engineer Chuck Ainlay and keyboardist Guy Fletcher and featured Richard Bennett, Danny Cummings, John McCusker, Matt Rollings and Glenn Worf. The 11-track album explores a lifetime of musical roots exemplified by the title track. 'The first itinerant person I ever met would sing in soul bands in winter, then work part-time in fairgrounds or 'go pick fruit down south' when the weather turned warm,' explains Knopfler. 'I was about 15 years old, stuck in school and envious. 'Get Lucky' came from him and other traveling characters I went on to meet in places I'd find myself working short-term, like farms, warehouses, building sites, before I got lucky with my songs.'

"Border Reiver" – 4:35
"Hard Shoulder" – 4:33
"You Can't Beat the House" – 3:25
"Before Gas and TV" – 5:50
"Monteleone" – 3:39
"Cleaning My Gun" – 4:43
"The Car Was the One" – 3:55
"Remembrance Day" – 5:05
"Get Lucky" – 4:33
"So Far from the Clyde" – 5:58
"Piper to the End" – 5:47

61TtYhduqvL.jpg

Freedom At Midnight -- CD

David Benoit

1987 GRP Records

Pianist David Benoit's debut for GRP was a big seller and set the tone for the next decade of his career. In general, Benoit's piano is heard in the forefront, joined by oversized rhythm sections (including the Rippingtons' Russ Freeman) and a string section. A strictly boppish quartet rendition of "Del Sasser" with altoist Sam Riney is a nice change of pace, but otherwise, the music is melodic, lightweight, and better for backgrounds than for close listening. Overall, this program is pleasant and not at all objectionable, but difficult to remember once the CD is finished. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Freedom at Midnight
2. Along the Milky Way
3. Kei's Song
4. Man with the Panama Hat, The
5. Pieces of Time
6. Morning Sojourn
7. Tropical Breeze
8. Passion Walk
9. Del Sasser
10. Last Goodbye, The

Personnel: David Benoit (piano, keyboards); Dann Huff, Russ Freeman (guitar); Osamu Kitajima (koto); Pamela Henderson, Doug Cameron, Becky Barr, Gina Kronstadt, Arthur Zadinsky, Pavel Farkas, Sid Page, Bruce Dukov, Clayton Haslop (violin); Cynthia Morrow, Jimbo Ross (viola); Larry Corbett, Douglas Davis (cello); Gary Herbig, Ray Pizzi (saxophone); Sam Riney (soprano saxophone, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); John Madrid, Walt Johnson (trumpet); Joe Meyer , Rick Todd (French horn); Randy Kerber (synthesizer); John Patitucci (acoustic bass, upright bass); Timothy Barr, Arni Egilsson (double bass); Jeff Porcaro, Tony Morales (drums); Joe Porcaro, Lenny Castro, Michael Fisher (percussion).Recording information: Ocean Way Recording, Hollywood, CA.Photographer: Glenn Wexler.Arranger: David Benoit.

1545c0a398a01037bcea0210.L.jpg

We'll Never Turn Back -- CD

Mavis Staples

2007 Anti Records

Mavis Staple's 2007 album, WE'LL NEVER TURN BACK is a stunning achievement from one of soul and gospel's most revered singers. Produced by Ry Cooder, the album is built around freedom songs of the civil rights movement--some are traditional ("Eyes on the Prize"), some are appropriated for the theme ("99 and 1/2"), while others are originals ("I'll Be Rested"). As much a celebration of hard-won freedom as a reminder of past and current injustices, the album features stirring gospel choir vocals from both Ladysmith Black Mombazo and original members of the SNCC Freedom Singers.Yet the album is first and foremost a platform for Mavis Staples's stirring voice, one that is as much a liberating force as any protest. Cooder, to his credit, keeps things appropriately raw and immediate, and the band always positions Staples at the front of the line. As deeply moving as any album made in 2007, WE'LL NEVER TURN BACK is at once a call to arms, a new cadence for a new march, and the celebratory soundtrack for the jubilee on the other side of the mountain.

Track Listing
1. Down in Mississippi
2. Eyes on the Prize
3. We Shall Not Be Moved
4. In the Mississippi River
5. On My Way
6. This Little Light of Mine
7. 99 and 1/2
8. My Own Eyes
9. Turn Me Around
10. We'll Never Turn Back
11. I'll Be Rested
12. Jesus Is on the Main Line

Personnel: Mavis Staples (vocals); Ry Cooder (guitar, mandolin); Mike Elizondo (piano); Jim Keltner (drums); Joachim Cooder (percussion); Betty Fikes, Charles Neblett, Rutha Harris (background vocals).Audio Mixer: Martin Pradler.Liner Note Author: Rep. John Lewis.Recording information: Sound City Studio, Van Nuys, CA.Author: Mavis Staples.Photographer: David Bartlett.Arrangers: Ry Cooder; Joachim Cooder; Mavis Staples.

51KJw2y2LgL._SS500_.jpg

Belly Of The Sun -- CD

Cassandra Wilson

2002 Blue Note Records

Amazon.com

By now, it's a moot point whether Cassandra Wilson is singing jazz or not. By unifying what were once considered disparate styles and song forms with her languorously rich vocals and offbeat instrumental textures, she has become the queen of her own genre. Largely recorded at a one-time train station in her native Mississippi, Belly of the Sun ranges from country-blues great Fred McDowell's gritty "You Gotta Move" (popularized by the Rolling Stones and here featuring acoustic-guitar wiz Richard Johnston) to Brazilian immortal Antonio Carlos Jobim's winsome "Waters of March" (featuring a children's choir) to a hauntingly feminized version of Jimmy Webb's "Wichita Lineman." Revealing her command of narrative material, Wilson draws seductive meaning from Bob Dylan's "Shelter from the Storm" and the Band's "The Weight." Featuring Kevin Breit and Marvin Sewell on all manner of guitars and related string instruments, Belly of the Sun also boasts three strong Wilson originals, including "Just Another Parade," a jazzy-soulful duet with India Arie, and "Show Me a Love." As her own producer, Wilson comes up with less compelling backgrounds than Craig Street, who produced her darker-tinged breakthrough albums. Still, this is her most seamless, smoothest-flowing, and most effortlessly expansive recording. "I need to feel some rich black soil that's moist between my toes," she sings. You can feel her Southern roots in the grooves as well. --Lloyd Sachs

1. "The Weight" (Robbie Robertson) – 6:05
2. "Justice" (Cassandra Wilson) – 5:27
3. "Darkness on the Delta" (Jay Livingston, Al J. Neiburg, Marty Symes) – 3:47
4. "Waters of March" (Antonio Carlos Jobim) – 4:26
5. "You Gotta Move" (Mississippi Fred McDowell) – 2:44
6. "Only a Dream in Rio" (James Taylor) – 4:32
7. "Just Another Parade" (Wilson) – 6:05 featuring India.Arie
8. "Wichita Lineman" (Jimmy Webb) – 5:48
9. "Shelter From the Storm" (Bob Dylan) – 5:17
10. "Drunk as Cooter Brown" (Wilson) – 4:58
11. "Show Me a Love" (Robinson, Wilson) – 3:49
12. "Road So Clear" (Richmond) – 5:22
13. "Hot Tamales" (Robert Johnson) – 1:43

18e1810ae7a0fbf869212210.L.jpg

16 Greatest Hits -- CD

Steppenwolf

1973/1985 MCA Records

Amazon.com

The ultimate rock anthem ("Born to Be Wild", in case you're wondering) opens this spectacular greatest-hits collection from one of the original hard rock bands. All of the best is here; the psychedelic "Magic Carpet Ride", the bluesy "The Pusher", heavy rockers such as "Hey Lawdy Mama" and "Screaming Night Hog", the regretful "Snowblind Friend" and the sadistic ballad "Tenderness". Steppenwolf's glory days are long past, but this album is a definite classic, featuring songs that helped establish the then-emerging hard rock genre. --Genevieve Williams

1. Born To Be Wild
2. Its Never Too Late
3. Rock Me
4. Hey Lawdy Mama
5. Move Over
6. Who Needs Ya
7. Snowblind Friend
8. Ride With Me
9. Magic Carpet Ride
10. The Pusher
11. Sookie Sookie
12. Jupiters Child
13. Screaming Night Hog
14. For Ladies Only
15. Tenderness
16. Monster

61cMwWG3NQL.jpg

A Go Go -- CD

John Scofield

1998 Verve Records

On A GO GO, Scofield teams with Generation X funksters Medeski, Martin and Wood for an album of greasy grooves and hip downtown sonorities. The leader's guitar and John Medeski's keyboards weave and sway in a laid back slink over the lazy, ringing back beats of Billy Martin. And just when you think the groove has bent and twisted to the verge of falling to pieces, bassist Chris Wood is the glue that holds it all together.All ten tracks are Scofield originals but it was surely a group effort to develop such a deep pocket of funk. From the hip-hop of the opening title cut we get a sense that this is not your average jazz quartet. The James Brown-ish "Chank" captures an all new Scofield sound that's even more harsh and gritty than normal, as he scratches and twangs out a slinky intro to kick off the groove. Solos are kept at a conservative length throughout but that's not to say they're less intense. Check out Sco's tasty improv in the easy-groovin' "Southern Pacific" for a demonstration. His young cohorts provide some fiery moments as well, with Medeski and Martin both cranking out exciting solos on the bouncy "Hottentot."

Track Listing
1. A Go Go
2. Chank
3. Boozer
4. Southern Pacific
5. Jeep on 35
6. Kubrick
7. Green Tea
8. Hottentot
9. Chicken Dog
10. Deadzy

Personnel: John Scofield (electric & acoustic guitars, whistle); John Medeski (organ, Wurlitzer, clavinet, piano); Chris Wood (acoustic & electric basses); Billy Martin (drums, tambourine).Recorded at Avatar Studios, New York, New York.

51OjEHopqKL.jpg

From A to Z... -- Remastered CD

Al Cohn/Zoot Sims Sextet

1956/1999 RCA Victor Records

Brothers in sound and twins of swing, Al Cohn and Zoot Sims command styles that blend together well. The great Lester Young, whose tone was light and airy and whose improvisational skills were marked by even, flowing melodic lines, influenced both saxophonists. Cohn and Sims employ similarly lyrical and mellifluous phrases on FROM A TO Z. But these two tenor players add elements of bebop to the signature swing-era riffs that made Young famous.The influence of bebop can be heard on tunes such as the title track and "Sandy's Swing." The playing on these tracks is faster, with more surprises and a drier, more biting sound quality. In contrast, tracks such as "A New Moan" and "East of the Sun (and West of the Moon)" are more firmly routed in swing. Drummer Osie Johnson rides on the hi-hat, creating a relaxed bounce, while trumpeter Dick Sherman soliloquizes over the top in a soft and delicate tone. A pleasant mix of swing and bebop, FROM A TO Z finds Cohn, Sims, and company rendering graceful and elegant versions of jazz compositions that are delightful but otherwise obscure.

Track Listing:
1. Mediolistic
2. Crimea River
3. A New Moan
4. A Moment's Notice
5. My Blues
6. Sandy's Swing
7. Somebody Loves Me
8. More Bread
9. Sherm's Terms
10. From A To Z
11. East Of The Sun (And West Of The Moon)
12. Tenor For Two Please, Jack
13. My Blues Alternate Take
14. More Bread Alternate Take
15. Tenor For Two Please, Jack Alternate Take
16. Somebody Loves Me Alternate Take

This 1999 reissue contains four bonus tracks not included on the original release.Personnel: Al Cohn, Zoot Sims (tenor saxophone); Dick Sherman (trumpet); Dave McKenna, Hank Jones (piano); Milt Hinton (bass); Osie Johnson (drums).Recorded at Webster Hall, New York, New York on January 23-24, 1956.All tracks have been digitally remastered.

5101zjF3rkL.jpg

Point In Time -- CD

Fred Hersch

1995 Enja Records

One of the busiest and most dependable musicians of the '90s, pianist Fred Hersch delivers another strong performance with Point in Time, mixing standards, choice jazz classics, and his own creative originals. His trio with bassist Drew Gress and drummer Tom Rainey is featured on four tracks; highlights include his moving rendition of "The Peacocks" and a driving original, "Cat's Paws," dedicated to the late promising pianist Dave Catney who died a few months before these sessions. Tenor saxophonist Rich Perry is featured on the delicate arrangement of "Infant Eyes," while trumpeter Dave Douglas joins Hersch on the pianist's melancholy but insistent "Too Soon." The full quintet is featured on several songs, including the pianist's pulsating post bop title track as well as on "Evidence," which captures the playfulness of its composer, Thelonious Monk. Recommended. ~ Ken Dryden

Track Listing
1. Point in Time
2. You Don't Know What Love Is
3. As Long as There's Music
4. Spring Is Here
5. Peacocks
6. Infant Eyes
7. Cat's Paws
8. Too Soon
9. Evidence
10. Drew's Blues

Personnel: Fred Hersch (piano); Rich Perry (tenor saxophone); Dave Douglas (trumpet); Drew Gress (bass); Tom Rainey (drums).Producers: Fred Hersch, Matthias Winckelmann.Recorded at Systems Two, Brooklyn, New York on March 20, 21 & 24, 1995. Include liner notes by W. Patrick Hinley.

6cde828fd7a08c43a4c9f010.L.jpg

4 -- CD

Fourplay

1998 Warner Bros. Records

Lite jazz, smooth jazz, call it what you will. If the audiophile-oriented instrumental sounds of such artists as Bob James and Larry Carlton are your cup of tea, then this supergroup will be right up your alley. Fourplay combines the talents of James, Carlton and studio vets Nathan East and Harvey Mason, and together they produce a sound that is more than the sum of its parts.The accent here is on smooth, flowing R&B-inflected jazz (or is that jazz-inflected R&B?), as exemplified by the opening cut "Still The One," which features guest vocals by Heather Mason. Things soon take off in other directions though, as Fourplay works in a bit of funk here, a little world music rhythm there, spicing up the proceedings nicely. For a little variety in between the instrumentals, there are a number of guest vocalists, including El DeBarge and R&B guru Babyface himself.

Track Listing
1. Still the One
2. Little Foxes
3. Sexual Healing
4. I'm Sure Charmed
5. Someone to Love
6. Rio Rush
7. Piece of My Heart
8. Slow Slide
9. Vest Pocket
10. Swamp Jazz

Fourplay: Nathan East (vocals, bass); Bob James (keyboards); Larry Carlton (guitar); Harvey Mason (drums).Additional personnel: El DeBarge, Shanice Wilson, Kevyn Lettau, Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds, Heather Mason, Michelle Pillar-Carlton, James DeBarge (vocals).

Happy Monday everyone....
emotion-7.gif

51TDMi3HdFL._SS500_.jpg

Chapter Two -- CD

Roberta Flack

1970/1992 Atlantic Records

One of the 5 Greatest Albums of All Time, Period., May 28, 2003
By "jeremiah256"

I was a child when this album came out and it has haunted me ever since. Turn the lights out, light a fire in the fireplace, select your favorite bottle of wine, kick the kids out, curl up on the couch with your loved one, put this album on and enjoy. Hell, this albums so good you don't need anyone. Kick everyone out. "Reverend Lee", with good reason, is the classic of this album. You'll feel Roberta's warm breath on your neck as she sings of sin and lust. It'll take you back in time to that someone whom you couldn't resist, even though you knew better. Other favorites are "Do What You Gotta Do", "Gone Away", and "Until It's Time For You To Go". Those three songs along with "Just Like A Woman" are beautiful in their meaning and the mood they create. "Business Goes On As Usual" is placed last. It's a haunting anti-war song and you'd think it wouldn't fit in with the other songs of love and regret but it does. That's because it too is about love and the lose of that loved one. My personal favorite is "Let It Be Me". Like "Impossible Dream", Roberta's voice, the tempo, what I believe is a French Horn in the background, all combine to make you realize how beautiful songs can be, even songs you've heard a hundred times, when given to a vocal talent such as Roberta Flack. After you've recharged your soul with this album, let the spouce and kids back in and give them a hug.

1. "Reverend Lee" (Gene McDaniels) 4:31
2. "Do What You Gotta Do" (Jimmy Webb) 4:09
3. "Just Like a Woman" (Bob Dylan) 6:14
4. "Let It Be Me" (Gilbert Becaud, Mann Curtis, Pierre Delanoë) 5:00
5. "Gone Away" (Donny Hathaway, Leroy Hutson, Curtis Mayfield) 5:16
6. "Until It's Time for You to Go" (Buffy Sainte-Marie) 4:57
7. "The Impossible Dream" (Joe Darion, Mitch Leigh) 4:42
8. "Business Goes on as Usual" (Fred Hellerman, Fran Minkoff) 3:30

Back