• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

419HMQ9MHCL._SS500_.jpg

Souled Out -- CD

Tower Of Power

1995 Epic Records

Sounds dated (and in this case, that's DEFINITELY a GOOD thing),
June 16, 2008
By Glen Zimmerman (Lindenwold, New Jersey)
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Souled Out (Audio CD)

Legendary in th 70s for its tight, funky grooves, unbeatable group of horn players, and having the great Lenny Williams as lead vocalist, some people might agree that 1995 was probably not the best year for TOP to be making an album, especially with all of the personnel changes up to that point. That being said, this may actually be one of the best funk albums not made during the genre's glory period. The horn section is as fierce as ever (especially on the gritty instrumental "Undercurrent"), and with his muscular yet smooth voice, Brent Carter makes a highly respectable substitute for Lenny Williams, and he shines brightly throughout, especially on the soothing ballad "Soothe You."

Tracks:
1. Souled Out
2. Taxed To The Max
3. Keep Comin’ Back
4. Soothe You
5. Do You Wanna (Make Love To Me)
6. Lovin’ You Forever
7. Gotta Make A Change
8. Diggin’ On James Brown
9. Sexy Soul
10. Just Like You
11. Once You Get A Taste
12. Undercurrent

61oh0LjG%2BhL.jpg

Feels So Good -- CD

Chuck Mangione

1977/1990 A&M Records

The man with the flugel horn sure can play!!, December 15, 2000
By Glenn "Glenn98" (Bergenfield, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Feels So Good (Audio CD)

The Grammy winning title cut "Feels so Good" is what turned me on to Chuck Mangione's music. But this CD goes much further than that. ALL of the recordings here are excellent. And they are arranged alternating the fast and slow pieces in a pleasing way. "Maui Waui" and "Last Dance" are nice and relaxing. "Theme from Side Street" is short but meaningful. "Hide and Seek" is a catchy piece that will have you tapping to it. And "The XIth Commandment" is a brilliant end to this great CD.

This is by far Chuck's best recording. If you're in a qundary about which Chuck Mangione CD to buy, THIS IS THE ONE!

Feels So Good - 9:42 (edit: #4 pop, #1 AC)
Maui-Waui - 10:13
Theme From 'Side Street' - 2:05
Hide & Seek (Ready Or Not Here I Come) - 6:25
Last Dance - 10:54
The XIth Commandment - 6:36

^^^ the guitar solo on the title cut here, was just phenomenal! :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Dennie said:
61oh0LjG%2BhL.jpg

Feels So Good -- CD

Wow! A blast from my past!!!

I went to a Chuck Mangione concert at The Chautauqua Institute when I was in high school! Which, mind you, was just a few years ago! :laughing-rolling:

Thanks Dennie, for bringing back a sweet memory!!!!!

Dennie said:
You are welcome Babs, isn't it great how music can do that! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

YES!!! Zing & I listen to music regularly, we play ' Name that Tune' weekly!

I have been a music junkie since high school! I remember 'Leif Garret' &' Shaun Cassidy' as two of my faves!!! Too funny!!!!

Anyway, carry on....

Today's work truck music...

7851810ae7a0cd4787a3a110.L.jpg

Longing In Their Hearts -- CD

Bonnie Raitt

1994 Capitol Records

Amazon.com

Like its two multiplatinum predecessors, Longing in Their Hearts was produced by Don Was (Raitt is listed as coproducer on the last two) and features the funky rhythm section of ex-Neville Brothers bassist Hutch Hutchinson and ex-Beach Boys drummer Ricky Fataar. As before, Was provides a sympathetic blend of roots rock and radio-ready L.A. pop-rock for Raitt's always-lustrous voice. And yet too many songs on this album just sit there like wallflowers at the juke joint, without enough melody or personality to get the party started. --Geoffrey Himes

"Love Sneakin' up on You" (Little Jimmy Scott, Tom Snow) – 3:41
"Longing in Their Hearts" (Michael O'Keefe, Raitt) – 4:48
"You" (John Shanks, Bob Thiele, Tonio K.) – 4:27
"Cool, Clear Water" (Raitt) – 5:27
"Circle Dance" (Raitt) – 4:11
"I Sho Do" (Billy Always, Mabon "Teenie" Hodges) – 3:38
"Dimming of the Day" (Richard Thompson) – 3:39
"Feeling of Falling" (Raitt) – 6:17
"Steal Your Heart Away" (Paul Brady) – 5:44
"Storm Warning" (Terry Britten, Lea Maalfrid) – 4:31
"Hell to Pay" (Raitt) – 4:03
"Shadow of Doubt" (Gary Nicholson) – 4:26

Dennie said:

7851810ae7a0cd4787a3a110.L.jpg

Longing In Their Hearts -- CD

Bonnie Raitt

1994 Capitol Records

Amazon.com

Like its two multiplatinum predecessors, Longing in Their Hearts was produced by Don Was (Raitt is listed as coproducer on the last two) and features the funky rhythm section of ex-Neville Brothers bassist Hutch Hutchinson and ex-Beach Boys drummer Ricky Fataar. As before, Was provides a sympathetic blend of roots rock and radio-ready L.A. pop-rock for Raitt's always-lustrous voice. And yet too many songs on this album just sit there like wallflowers at the juke joint, without enough melody or personality to get the party started. --Geoffrey Himes

"Love Sneakin' up on You" (Little Jimmy Scott, Tom Snow) – 3:41
"Longing in Their Hearts" (Michael O'Keefe, Raitt) – 4:48
"You" (John Shanks, Bob Thiele, Tonio K.) – 4:27
"Cool, Clear Water" (Raitt) – 5:27
"Circle Dance" (Raitt) – 4:11
"I Sho Do" (Billy Always, Mabon "Teenie" Hodges) – 3:38
"Dimming of the Day" (Richard Thompson) – 3:39
"Feeling of Falling" (Raitt) – 6:17
"Steal Your Heart Away" (Paul Brady) – 5:44
"Storm Warning" (Terry Britten, Lea Maalfrid) – 4:31
"Hell to Pay" (Raitt) – 4:03
"Shadow of Doubt" (Gary Nicholson) – 4:26

Now here is a great one!

On my list to listen to later today, Thanks Dennie!

Beck,

beck_seachange.jpg

then Hum...

hum223505.jpg

Babs was yada,yada,yada on both....

Dr.John & Boz Scaggs.

0000045451_500.jpg

Boz-Scaggs-Dig---Interview-D-496252.jpg

I luv Dr.John, Boz...getting into his listening pleasure!!!!

Now...it is Donald Fagen!!! Luv ThE man!!! Christmas without the chinteezzyy stuff!!!! LOLOL!!!

MorphTheCat.jpg

Chicago with the 'Doobie Brothers' as guests!!!! :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:I

cce7810ae7a03e978625c110.L.jpg

More Best Of Leonard Cohen -- CD

Leonard Cohen

1997 Columbia Records

Such an experienced sounding growl, January 16, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: More Best of (Audio CD)

I bought this as my first Leonard Cohen after hearing Everybody Knows on a local station - I love every song on the CD, and the arrangements are just beautiful! Skip Greatest Hits and go directly to this one...

"Everybody Knows"
"I'm Your Man"
"Take This Waltz"
"Tower of Song"
"Anthem"
"Democracy"
"The Future"
"Closing Time"
"Dance Me to the End of Love" (live)
"Suzanne" (live)
"Hallelujah" (live)
"Never Any Good"
"The Great Event"

0241024128a08e49851fe010.L.jpg

Just Between Us -- CD

Norman Brown

1992 MoJazz/Motown Records

When Motown released Norman Brown's Just Between Us in 1992, the occasion marked not only the guitarist's first effort, but also the first release on Motown's new contemporary jazz imprint MoJazz. Ultimately, the guitarist fared better than the label did. Brown's debut hit the street at a peak of sorts for the contemporary/smooth jazz genre. The music recorded in music studios that concentrated on creating easily identifiable grooves over improvisation for the pleasure of listeners who also liked funk and soul had become a highly marketable brand and was achieving record numbers in sales. Critics hated it -- for the most part -- and referred to it as "elevator music with a beat" or "the new disco" (as if the latter were a bad thing).Brown's obvious gift on his instrument caught jazz critics by surprise. This man could not only groove, but he was a monster player and improviser. It was obvious from the first notes of "Stormin'," the album's opening cut, that Brown had been deeply influenced by George Benson, but also some of the other revered soul-jazz players of the past, like Billy Butler and George Freeman. What they didn't take into account was that Brown knew a lot about making records coming into the process. He arranged the majority of the material here and had spent considerable time with the album's chief producer, drummer, composer, and recording artist, Norman Connors, who had enjoyed a string of hits after coming out of the "spiritual" soul-jazz era" of the '70s to become a major chart player.Brown's sound may have owed to Benson, but there was so much soul in his playing, and it was also so deeply rooted in adult urban soul of the period, that it transcended the club and youth scenes and appealed to adults. Brown and Connors worked up an album that stands almost as tall as his commercial breakthrough, and indeed primed him for it. After the Storm was huge, it remained on the Top 200 chart for two years. The strange thing is that Just Between Us may be the better album musically. Brown wrote eight of the set's 11 tracks, and each of them was a potential single. Whether it was the deep groove consciousness of "Stormin," the slippery, blessed-out romantic interlude that is the title track, the tough but polished funk that is "East Meets West," with beautifully textured dual keyboard lines and some wonderful hand percussion by Paulinho Da Costa, or the lithe, uptown soul vamp at the heart of the album's closer "Inside"; all of his melodies were infectious and memorable. What's more, Brown's guitar had an edge in its tone that bit harder than Benson's (at the time, anyway, because Benson was singing a lot more than playing). He used it as a human voice: it literally sung, whether playing the raw sensual melodies or offering small flights of fiery streetwise fancy in his solos. Brown's touch was golden and offered a new possibility in the smooth jazz arena for individual musical expression inside a rather narrowly defined format corridor.

Track Listing
1. Stormin'
2. Just Between Us
3. East Meets West
4. Love's Holiday
5. It's a Feelin'
6. Too High
7. Something Just for You
7. Something Just For You
8. Here to Stay
9. Moonlight Tonight
10. Sweet Taste
11. Inside

Personnel: Norman Brown (guitar, vocals); Ronnie Laws (soprano saxophone); Gerald Albright, Kirk Whalum (saxophone); Gary Bias, Jeffrey Clayton (saxophone, flute); Raymond Brown (trumpet); Reginald Young (trombone); Bobby Lyle (piano); Laryr Farrow, Herman Jackson, Jerry Peters, Wayne "Ziggy" Linsey (keyboards); Brian Simpson (keyboards, programming); Al McKay (guitars); Verdine White, Sam Sims, Richard Patterson (bass); Chuck Morris, Mike Baker (drums); Paulinho Da Costa, Land Richards, Darryl Munyungo Jackson (percussion); Juewett Bostick (programming); Perri, Boyz II Men, Denise Stewart (background vocals); Stevie Wonder.Engineers: Ralph Sutton, John Falzarano, Brian Simpson.All songs written by Norman Brown except "Love's Holiday" (M. White/S. Scarborough), "Moonlight Tonight" (Norman Brown/Angel Rodgers), "Too High" (Stevie Wonder), "Sweet Taste" (K. Williams/N. Brown).

43d9c0a398a059a7cf73f110.L.jpg

Jahmekya -- CD

Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers

1991 Virgin America Records

From their earliest days, Ziggy Marley & the Melody Makers had gloried in crossing over sounds and blending genres, shoving reggae into the pop world, then dragging it out to the discos. But now the group was swiftly outgrowing this teenybop phase, maturing into adults with more sophisticated tastes. Ziggy was no longer the main songwriter, as his siblings joined in, notably David, who composed many of the tracks on Jahmekya. The album has a much tougher sound than previous records, and its digitized beats are indebted to Jamaica's dancehalls. Stephen's growing interest in this scene is evident on "Raw Riddim," a pure dancehall number, stripped down to the beats. However, the other members of the group are pulling away from influences of their homeland toward the urban contemporary sounds pouring from the U.S. Much of Jahmekya explores this style, twining in funk, soul, and modern R&B into the group's mix. Of course there's still a sprinkling of reggae pop tracks and rootsy dance numbers, but it's clear that the group is moving beyond these old sounds and evolving a more contemporary style. This album would lose Ziggy Marley & the Melody Makers much of their pop fan base, but earn them a more loyal adult audience. Once again, it was nominated for a Grammy; however, this time the group did not win. ~ Jo-Ann Greene

Track Listing
1. Raw Riddim
2. Kozmik
3. Rainbow Country
4. Drastic
5. Good Time
6. What Conquers Defeat
7. First Night
8. Wrong Right Wrong
9. Herbs An' Spices (Livicated to Big Ant)
10. Problem With My Woman
11. Jah Is True and Perfect
12. Small People
13. So Right So Good
14. Namibia
15. New Time & Age
16. Generation

Full performer name: Ziggy Marley & The Melody Makers.Personnel: Ziggy Marley (vocals); Glenn Rosenstein (guitar, percussion); Earl "Chinna" Smith , Constantine Walker (guitar); Tyrone Downie (horns, piano, keyboards); Franklyn Waul (keyboards); Wilburn "Squiddley" Cole (drums); Rick "Soldier" Will, Bashiri Johnson , Uziah "Sticky" Thompson (percussion); Cleveland "Clevie" Browne, Giles Reaves (programming); Erica Newell, Sharon Marley Prendergast, Rita Marley, Cedella Marley Booker (background vocals).Recording information: Tuff Gong Recording Studio, Kingston, Jamaica.Editor: Giles Reaves.Illustrator: Steve Gerdes.

f1ab9833e7a0a326e8962110.L.jpg

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones -- CD

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

1990 Warner Bros. Records

Amazon.com essential recording

When bluegrass banjo whiz Bela Fleck formed the Flecktones in 1990 with jazz pianist Howard Levy, funk bassist Victor Wooten, and electronic-drummer Roy Wooten, it seemed like just one more of those new-acoustic music bands that appear and disappear in Nashville with depressing regularity. There was something special about this quartet, though, for it used its peculiar instrumentation not as an end in itself but as a means to three albums of startling melodicism, improvisation, and feeling. At the end of 1992, Levy amicably departed to spend more time with his family and his own music. Rather than hire a new fourth member, Fleck and the Wootens have tried to compensate for his absence by an increased reliance on synthesizer sounds that they can trigger from their instruments and floor pedals. This has led to less emphasis on melody, harmony, and feeling and an increased emphasis on rhythm and showy virtuosity. --Geoffrey Himes

All songs by Béla Fleck unless otherwise noted.

"Sea Brazil" – 3:43
"Frontiers" – 6:08
"Hurricane Camille" – 2:38
"Half Moon Bay" – 5:09
"The Sinister Minister" – 4:38
"Sunset Road" – 5:04
"Flipper" – 4:21
"Mars Needs Women: Space is a Lonely Place" – 5:01
"Mars Needs Women: They're Here" – 3:30
"Reflections of Lucy" (Fleck/John Lennon/Paul McCartney) – 3:38
"Tell It to the Gov'nor" – 4:06

99866230a8a0261dd09ff010.L.jpg

Cloud Nine -- CD

George Harrison

1987 Capitol Records

Cloud Nine, June 16, 2011
By Cole Schaffner "Rockband Freak ((*J*))" - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Cloud Nine (Audio CD)

This is one of my favorite Harrison albums! Great vocals and instrumentals. also it has a great crew of musicians working on it (Eric Clapton, Jeff Lynne, Elton John, Ringo starr and more). Harrison really out played many of his 70's work. this record is a gem and i highly recommend.

All songs by George Harrison, except where noted.

"Cloud 9" – 3:15
"That's What It Takes" (George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Gary Wright) – 3:59
"Fish on the Sand" – 3:22
"Just for Today" – 4:06
"This Is Love" (George Harrison, Jeff Lynne) – 3:48
"When We Was Fab" (George Harrison, Jeff Lynne) – 3:57
A celebration of The Beatles and the 1960s.
"Devil's Radio" – 3:52
Masters of Reality recorded their version of the song for "Songs from the Material World: a Tribute to George Harrison" album
"Someplace Else" – 3:51
An earlier version of this song appeared in the 1986 film Shanghai Surprise.
"Wreck of the Hesperus" – 3:31
"Breath Away from Heaven" – 3:36
An earlier version of this song appeared in the 1986 film Shanghai Surprise.
"Got My Mind Set on You" (Rudy Clark) – 3:52

51UyHppYG8L.jpg

In The Flesh (Live)-- 2 CD Set

Roger Waters

2000 Columbia Records

With IN THE FLESH, ex-Pink Floyd vocalist, bassist, and genius behind THE WALL Roger Waters releases a superbly recorded live album that covers his entire career. Acknowledging that his old band has performed DARK SIDE OF THE MOON many times, and that a live version of THE WALL was recently released, Waters delivers a set of FM staples, mixed with rarities that aficionados will appreciate.Floyd classics are given new twists, such as the female vocals on "Mother," and Waters' singing lead on "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2." Going back to Pink Floyd's psychedelic early days, the seven-minute "Set the Controls For the Heart of the Sun" is performed both eerily and masterfully. "Perfect Sense (Parts I and II)" works as an excellent crowd singalong, and is wonderful companion material to the previously mentioned Floyd albums. "Each Small Candle," the only new song in the set, and the centerpiece of an upcoming album, shows that Waters is as creative as he's ever been. IN THE FLESH--LIVE is perfect for those who want to relive these dramatic performances, and those who want a document of a compelling live concert.

Track Listing
DISC 1:
1. In the Flesh
2. The Happiest Days of Our Lives
3. Pt. 2 Another Brick in the Wall
4. Mother
5. Get Your Filthy Hands off My Desert
6. Southhampton Dock
7. Pt. 1 Pigs on the Wing
8. Dogs
9. Welcome to the Machine
10. Wish You Were Here
11. Pts. 1-8 Shine on You Crazy Diamond
12. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

DISC 2:
1. Breathe (In the Air)
2. Time
3. Money
4. Pt. 11 (aka 5:06 AM- Every Stranger's Ey Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking
5. Pts. 1-2 Perfect Sense
6. The Bravery of Being out of Range
7. It's a Miracle
8. Amused to Death
9. Brain Damage
10. Eclipse
11. Comfortably Numb
12. Each Small Candle - (previously unreleased)

Personnel: Roger Waters (vocals, guitar, bass); Jon Carin (vocals, guitar, lap steel, keyboards, programming); Andy Fairweather Low (vocals, guitar, bass); Doyle Bramhall II (vocals, guitar); Katie Kissoon, Susannah Melvoin, P P Arnold (vocals); Snowy White (guitar); Andy Wallace (Hammond organ, keyboards).Recorded live at The Rose Garden Arena, Portland, Oregon; America West Arena, Phoenix, Arizona; MGM Grand Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, Irvine, California. Includes liner notes by Roger Waters. [/img]

Put on the deluxe edition of Dwight Yoakam's "Guitars, Cadillacs, etc etc" this morning.

I've previously played the heck out of the bonus "live" tracks, but today I'm giving the bonus "demo" tracks a good listen. The songs sound so nice even in demo form. Except maybe the song "You're The One" reminds me too much of Bruce Johnston's "Disney Girls" during the opening bars. Regardless, I have become such a big Dwight Yoakam fan over the last few years. It's strange because I can remember being a kid and my brother had "Hillbilly Deluxe" on cassette and I thought it was kind of dumb at the time.

Turns out Yoakam was the opening act for Sheryl Crow at the state fair this year. Wish I had known. Granted, I probably would've left before Crow finished her show.

51cTDua2YaL.jpg

Kazaam said:
Put on the deluxe edition of Dwight Yoakam's "Guitars, Cadillacs, etc etc" this morning.

I've previously played the heck out of the bonus "live" tracks, but today I'm giving the bonus "demo" tracks a good listen. The songs sound so nice even in demo form. Except maybe the song "You're The One" reminds me too much of Bruce Johnston's "Disney Girls" during the opening bars. Regardless, I have become such a big Dwight Yoakam fan over the last few years. It's strange because I can remember being a kid and my brother had "Hillbilly Deluxe" on cassette and I thought it was kind of dumb at the time.

Turns out Yoakam was the opening act for Sheryl Crow at the state fair this year. Wish I had known. Granted, I probably would've left before Crow finished her show.

51cTDua2YaL.jpg

Great Album Kazaam!

Have you heard "DwightYoakamAcoustic.net"?

It's one of the worst album covers ever....

31LraLGpzAL.jpg

....but the music is great. He does a-Capella version of "Guitars Cadillac.." that is great.

I highly recommend it. :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

165ce03ae7a002a4298cf110.L.jpg

Grand Funk -- 24 Bit Remastered CD

Grand Funk

1969/2002 Capitol Records

One of the top 2 or 3 blues-based rock trio albums!, April 4, 2003
By John Dewey Stewart (Park City, KS United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Grand Funk (Audio CD)

I put this album right alongside "Disreali Gears" and "Are You Experienced". A tight, unified sound from start to finish - never mind that there weren't any radio hits on it. At that time and place, radio hits were beside the point. The music was rapidly evolving, and the power-trio format was the cutting edge of that evolution. Not as frenetic and competitive as Cream, and with a MUCH better rhythm section than the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Grand Funk Railroad was at the top of their game on this one! Led Zeppelin would take the power-trio format, add a great lead singer, and dominate the sound of the next decade. If you're into power-trios, you should DEFINITELY have this album. If you want to hear the very SOUL of Grand Funk Railroad, buy this one FIRST! You can pick up the "hits" any time, but this one is a jewel from start to finish!

"Got This Thing on the Move" – 4:38
"Please Don't Worry" – 4:19 (Don Brewer/Farner)
"High Falootin' Woman" – 3:00
"Mr. Limousine Driver" – 4:26
"In Need" – 7:52
"Winter and My Soul" – 6:38
"Paranoid" – 7:50
"Inside Looking Out" – 9:31 (John Lomax, Alan Lomax, Eric Burdon, Bryan "Chas" Chandler)

Bonus Tracks - CD Release

"Nothing is the Same (Demo)"
"Mr. Limousine Driver (Remix)"

Back