• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

51ubMSGEARL.jpg

Sittin' In -- Remastered 24 Bit CD

Dizzy Gillespie

1957/2005 Verve Records

SITTIN' IN is a jazz lover's dream come true. On this historic session, recorded in the summer of 1957, Dizzy Gillespie, Stan Getz, Coleman Hawkins, and Paul Gonsalves got together to create one of the most formidable frontlines ever captured on tape. The program, which includes "Dizzy Atmosphere," the chestnut "The Way You Look Tonight," and two lengthy ballad medleys, lets each horn player take a turn in the spotlight.The music blends West Coast cool, swing, bop, and hard-bop styles in a manner befitting each of the monumental leaders, and the whole is driven by a spry rhythm section consisting of bassist Wendell Marshall, drummer J.C. Heard, and pianist Wynton Kelly. Aficionados will relish the opportunity to identify the solos and styles of each player--Getz's cool complexity, Gillespie's athleticism, Gonsalves's unique lyricism, and Hawkins's pioneering technique and tone. SITTIN' IN is a superb slice of bop history, starring some of the most influential figures in the evolution of jazz.

Track Listing
1. Dizzy Atmosphere
2. Ballad Medley: I'm Through With Love / Without A Word Of Warning / Sweet Lorraine / Love Walked In / September Song
3. The Way You Look Tonight
4. Ballad Medley: On The Alamo / Stompin' At The Savoy / This Time The Dream's On Me / Time After Time / Gone With The Wind

Personnel: Dizzy Gillespie (trumpet); Coleman Hawkins, Paul Gonsalves, Stan Getz (tenor saxophone); Wynton Kelly (piano); Wendell Marshall (double bass); J.C. Heard (drums).

51vSXrgKs0L.jpg

The Legendary OKEH & Epic Recordings -- Remastered CD

Ahmad Jamal

2005 Epic/Legacy

Recorded between 1951 and '55, these LEGENDARY OKEH & EPIC sessions present the revered, though often underrated, jazz pianist Ahmad Jamal hitting his stride. Backed by Ray Crawford on guitar and either Israel Crosby or Eddie Calhoun on bass, Jamal unveils inventive percussion-less takes on a number of standards, along with two originals, with his spare yet energetic piano work showcased on every track. These are the recordings that directly influenced Miles Davis's late-'50s aesthetic, and this beautifully remastered collection is a reissue of the highest order. For aficionados of jazz piano, this album is essential.

Track Listing
1. Surrey with the Fringe on Top, The
2. Will You Still Be Mine?
3. Ahmad's Blues
4. Gal in Calico, A
5. Aki and Ukthay
6. Billy Boy
7. Black Beauty
8. Love for Sale
9. Something to Remember You By
10. Poinciana
11. Don't Blame Me
12. Autumn Leaves
13. They Can't Take That Away from Me
14. Old Devil Moon
15. It's Easy to Remember
16. Squeeze Me
17. Crazy He Calls Me
18. Pavanne
19. Perfidia
20. Rica Pulpa
21. Donkey Serenade, The

Personnel: Ahmad Jamal (piano); Ahmad Jamal; Eddie Calhoun, Israel Crosby (acoustic bass); Ray Crawford (guitar).Audio Remixer: Mark Wilder.Liner Note Authors: Nat Hentoff; Randy Weston.Recording information: Columbia Studios, Chicago, IL (10/25/1951-10/25/1955); Columbia's 30th Street Studio, New York, NY (10/25/1951-10/25/1955).Author: Miles Davis.Photographer: Don Hunstein.Arranger: Ahmad Jamal.

adderley.jpg

Somethin' Else -- RVG Edition Remastered 24 Bit CD

Cannonball Adderley

1958/1999 Blue Note Records

The Rudy Van Gelder Edition of SOMETHIN' ELSE includes an essay by Bob Blumenthal.

The track "Bangoon" is the correct title for the track "Allison's Uncle" that was originally included as a bonus on previous editions of SOMETHIN' ELSE.

Digitally remastered using 24-bit technology by Rudy Van Gelder.

This is part of the Blue Note Rudy Van Gelder Editions series.

When alto saxophonist Julian "Cannonball" Adderley, a high school band director from Florida, passed through New York with brother Nat during a school break, he found more excitement than he was counting on. After Julian offered to sit in for a late reedman, the session's leader, bassist Oscar Pettiford confronted him with the challenging changes of "I'll Remember April," at a breakneck tempo designed to humiliate the young upstart. Instead, Adderley responded with a solo that became the talk of the town; within days, his recording career had begun, and within a year he was able to give up his teaching job to front a full-time band.

Adderley gave up his own band in 1957 when he had the opportunity to become a sideman in Miles Davis' epic ensemble with John Coltrane, resulting in some of the greatest jazz recordings of all time (including MILESTONES and KIND OF BLUE). Davis returned the favor in March of 1958, appearing as a sideman on Adderley's all-star quintet date for Blue Note, and the resulting session is indeed SOMETHIN' ELSE.

Both horn players are at their peak of lyrical invention, crafting gorgeous, flowing blues lines on the title tune and "One For Daddy-O," as the Hank Jones/Sam Jones/Art Blakey rhythm team creates a taut, focused groove (pianist Hank Jones' sly, intuitive orchestrations are studies of harmonic understatement). Adderley's lush, romantic improvisation on "Dancing In The Dark" is worthy of Charlie Parker or Johnny Hodges, while the band refurbishes "Autumn Leaves" and "Love For Sale" into personal cliche-free swingers. And "Alison's Uncle" puts a boppish coda on SOMETHIN' ELSE, one of the most gloriously laid-back blowing sessions of the hard bop era.

Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on March 9, 1958. Originally released on Blue Note (81595). Includes liner notes by Leonard Feather and Bob Blumenthal.

"Autumn Leaves" (Joseph Kosma) – 11:01
"Love for Sale" (Cole Porter) – 7:06
"Somethin' Else" (Miles Davis) – 8:15
"One for Daddy-O" (Nat Adderley, Sam Jones) – 8:26
"Dancing in the Dark" (Arthur Schwartz) – 4:07
"Bangoon"(initially released as "Alison's Uncle" and also noted as "Bangoon" on the RVG edition CD) (Hank Jones) – 5:05 not on original LP

Personnel: Julian "Cannonball" Adderley (alto saxophone); Miles Davis (trumpet); Hank Jones (piano); Sam Jones (bass); Art Blakey (drums).

Today's work truck music....

51BbcWT-PFL._SS500_.jpg

20 All Time Greatest Hits -- CD

James Brown

1991 Polydor Records

Amazon.com

A towering figure in postwar American music, for over 40 years James Brown has written, produced, and performed some of the most compelling R&B ever recorded. 20 All Time Greatest Hits! distills Startime!, itself a four-CD set that barely scratched the surface of Brown's prodigious output. As such, this collection concentrates on Brown's best-known records: "I Feel Good," "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag," and "Cold Sweat." The propulsive one- or two-chord vamps with Brown's hoarse, declamatory vocals laid the groundwork for modern funk. It's a perfect starter set for anyone unfamiliar with Brown's work. But be warned--Brown is addictive. Like peanuts and potato chips, it's impossible to stop with just one. Buy this and don't be surprised if one day you find yourself scouring used record bins for a rare copy of Grits and Cornbread. --Steven Mirkin

1. I Got You (I Feel Good)
2. Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine, Pt.1
3. I Got The Feelin'
4. Mother Popcorn, Pt.1
5. Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose
6. Make It Funky, Pt.1
7. Papa's Got A Brand New Bag, Pt.1
8. Think
9. It's A Man's Man's Man's World
10. Try Me
11. Night Train
12. Cold Sweat, Pt.1
13. Get On The Good Foot
14. Papa Don't Take No Mess, Pt.1
15. The Payback
16. Say It Loud (I'm Black And I'm Proud), Pt.1
17. Super Bad, Pts.1&2
18. Hot Pants, Pt.1
19. Get Up Offa That Thing
20. Please, Please, Please

a6ee419328a09e23c7fed110.L.jpg

Time Out -- Remastered CD

The Dave Brubeck Quartet

1959/1997 Columbia Legacy

Amazon.com essential recording

Boasting the first jazz instrumental to sell a million copies, the Paul Desmond-penned "Take Five," Time Out captures the celebrated jazz quartet at the height of both its popularity and its powers. Recorded in 1959, the album combines superb performances by pianist Brubeck, alto saxophonist Desmond, drummer Joe Morrello and bassist Gene Wright. Along with "Take Five," the album features another one of the group's signature compositions, "Blue Rondo a la Turk." Though influenced by the West Coast-cool school, Brubeck's greatest interest and contribution to jazz was the use of irregular meters in composition, which he did with great flair. Much of the band's appeal is due to Desmond, whose airy tone and fluid attack often carried the band's already strong performances to another level. Together, he and Brubeck proved one of the most potent pairings of the era. --Fred Goodman

All pieces composed by Dave Brubeck, except "Take Five" by Paul Desmond.

Side one

"Blue Rondo à la Turk" – 6:44
"Strange Meadow Lark" – 7:22
"Take Five" – 5:24

Side two

"Three to Get Ready" – 5:24
"Kathy's Waltz" – 4:48
"Everybody's Jumpin'" – 4:23
"Pick Up Sticks" – 4:16

61a7ldilNHL.jpg

Time Further Out - Miro Reflections -- Remastered CD

The Dave Brubeck Quartet

1961/1996 Columbia Legacy

TIME OUT is Dave Brubeck's most popular album and one of the most famous small-group jazz recordings of all time. The 1959 LP features the odd-metered hit "Take Five" (penned by saxophonist Paul Desmond), which became a calling card for the pianist. As a 1961 follow-up to TIME OUT, Brubeck and his band decided to work from that album's momentum and record a musical sequel. The result was an ambitious nine-part blues suite called TIME FURTHER OUT: MIRO REFLECTIONS. (The latter part of the title is a tribute to the renowned painter Joan Miro, whose work is featured on the cover.) Not surprisingly, TIME FURTHER OUT continues where TIME OUT left off. For example, Brubeck's "Far More Blue" and "Far More Drums," are both reminiscent of "Take Five." The latter even includes a long drum solo by percussionist extraordinaire Joe Morello. "Unsquare Dance" continues the trend toward odd meters, and serves as a kind of lopsided hoedown, replete with handclaps and a funky bass groove. Much of the remaining album is in waltz time, including the ballads "Bluette," "Blue Shadows in the Street," and "It's a Raggy Waltz" (which is reprised as a live bonus track on the 1996 reissue).

Track Listing
1. It's a Raggy Waltz
2. Bluette
3. Charles Matthew Hallelujah
4. Far More Blue
5. Far More Drums
6. Maori Blues
7. Unsquare Dance
8. Bru's Boogie Woogie
9. Blue Shadows in the Street
10. Slow and Easy (A.K.A. Lawless Mike) - (bonus track)
11. It's a Raggy Waltz - (bonus track)

Dave Brubeck Quartet: Dave Brubeck (piano); Paul Desmond (alto saxophone); Eugene Wright (bass); Joe Morello (drums).Producer: Teo Macero.Reissue producer: Russell Gloyd.Recorded in New York, New York between May 3 and June 8, 1961. The bonus live track was recorded at Carnegie Hall, New York, New York in 1963.

513pgsGeWlL.jpg

Jazz Side of The Moon - The Music of Pink Floyd -- SACD

Sam Yahel/Seamus Blake/Ari Hoenig/Mike Moreno

2008 Chesky Records

Rock reinterpreted via cool jazz October 4, 2008
By William Cobham
Format:Audio CD

A real daredevil project this, it takes the structure of Pink Floyd's album and then uses this as the departure point for some fluent cool jazz. The musicians are excellent, playing off one another as if in a live jam session, meticulously rhythmical and committed to finding the most adventurous routes out of and into jazz-rock. If you like Weather Report, Miles Davis, The Crusaders and Pat Metheny, this is for you. What can I tell you except be good to yourself and buy this album. I've been playing it nonstop; it's also a great drivetime album.

Track Listing
1. Breathe
2. On The Run (Part 1)
3. Time
4. Any Colour You Like
5. The Great Gig In The Sky
6. Money
7. Us And Them
8. Brain Damage
9. On The Run (Part 2)

Personnel: Sam Yahel (Hammond b-3 organ); Ari Hoenig (drums); Mike Moreno (acoustic guitar, electric guitar); Seamus Blake (tenor saxophone).

Today's work truck music...

229ec0a398a045aaaf133210.L.jpg

Can't Buy A Thrill -- CD

Steely Dan

1972/1998 MCA Records

Amazon.com

Songwriters Walter Becker and Donald Fagen launched Steely Dan with a seductive, poker-faced 1972 debut as smoothly accessible in its music as it was elusive in its thematic concerns. The opening "Do It Again" snagged swift commercial success as one of the most mysterious pop hits in history, a sultry rock cha-cha that chronicled a series of harrowing catastrophes far removed from the reheated love songs and pro forma countercultural rebellion of the day. Though the core band boasted two formidable guitarists, Jeff Baxter and Denny Dias, it was the bloom of Fagen's keyboards and his reedy, smart-ass vocals that carried Thrill light years beyond modal, blues-based rock. That said, an enduring highlight remains the furious six-string fantasia of "Reelin' in the Years," spiked by Elliot Randall's downright historic solos, at once dour and giddy in its indictment of a poser, while "Dirty Work" (featuring short-lived, nominal lead singer David Palmer) offers a decidedly adult vignette of adultery. There isn't a weak track here, astonishing, considering how much growth future Dan albums would display. --Sam Sutherland

Side one

"Do It Again" – 5:56
Solos by Denny Dias and Donald Fagen
Vocal by Donald Fagen
"Dirty Work" – 3:08
Sax solo by Jerome Richardson
Vocal by David Palmer
"Kings" – 3:45
Solo by Elliot Randall
Vocal by Donald Fagen
"Midnite Cruiser" – 4:08
Solo by Jeff Baxter
Vocal by Jim Hodder
"Only a Fool Would Say That" – 2:57
Solo by Jeff Baxter
Vocal by Donald Fagen and David Palmer

Side two

"Reelin' in the Years" – 4:37
Lead guitar by Elliot Randall
Vocal by Donald Fagen
"Fire in the Hole" – 3:28
Piano solo by Donald Fagen
Steel guitar by Jeff Baxter
Vocal by Donald Fagen
"Brooklyn (Owes the Charmer Under Me)" – 4:21
Steel guitar by Jeff Baxter
Vocal by David Palmer
"Change of the Guard" – 3:39
Solo by Jeff Baxter
Vocals by Donald Fagen and David Palmer
"Turn That Heartbeat Over Again" – 4:58
Vocal by Donald Fagen, Walter Becker and David Palmer

BillFrisellGoodDogHappyMan_zps323ea63d.jpg

Good Dog Happy Man -- CD

Bill Frisell

1999 Nonesuch Records

Bill Frisell is like a chef or an alchemist. He brings together the characteristics and properties of diverse players to make one unique amalgam. With GOOD DOG HAPPY MAN, Frisell seeks the common ground between such musicians as bluegrass bassist Viktor Krauss, erstwhile New York downtown jazzbo keyboardist Wayne Horvitz, blue country steel guitarist Greg Liesz, and journeyman rock drummer Jim Keltner. What these very different players have in common is the inability to fit into easily defined categories or molds. Similarly, Frisell's own musical voice draws from all corners of American tradition.GOOD DOG is an album steeped in locale. It exudes a sense of place. Frisell's compositions range from subtle groove frameworks ("Big Shoe") to fragile ballads ("Rain, Rain"). The lone cover, a traditional "Shenandoah," features guest guitarist Ry Cooder. This album falls beautifully between the earthiness of Frisell's NASHVILLE album and the spontaneous combustion of GONE, JUST LIKE A TRAIN.

Track Listing
1. Rain, Rain
2. Roscoe
3. Big Shoe
4. My Buffalo Girl
5. Shenandoah (for Johnny Smith)
6. Cadillac 1959
7. Pioneers, The
8. Cold Cold Ground
9. That Was Then
10. Monroe
11. Good Dog, Happy Man
12. Poem for Eva

Personnel: Bill Frisell (acoustic & electric guitars, loops, music box); Ry Cooder (electric & Ripley guitars); Greg Leisz (pedal steel, lap steel, National steel & Weissenborn guitars, mandolin, dobro); Wayne Horvitz (piano, organ, samples); Viktor Krauss (bass); Jim Keltner (drums, percussion).Recorded at O'Henry Sound Studios, Burbank, California

51wrfag6F9L.jpg

Bass Desires -- CD

Marc Johnson - Bill Frisell - John Scofield - Peter Erskine

1986/2008 ECM Records

The pairing of electric guitarists Bill Frisell and John Scofield had to be one of the most auspicious since John McLaughlin and Carlos Santana. Acoustic bassist Marc Johnson's stroke of genius in bringing the two together on Bass Desires resulted in a sound that demonstrated both compatibility between the guitarists and the distinctiveness of the two when heard in combination. Add drummer Peter Erskine and you had a bona fide supergroup, albeit in retrospect a short-lived one, before Frisell and Scofield would establish their own substantial careers as leaders. The guitarists revealed symmetry, spaciousness, and a soaring stance, buoyed by the simplicity of their rhythm mates. This is immediately achieved on the introductory track, "Samurai Hee-Haw," as hummable, head-swimming, and memorable a melody as there ever has been, and a definite signature sound. A perfect country & eastern fusion, the guitarists lope along on wafting white clouds of resonant twang, singing to themselves while also playing stinging notes, supported by the insistent two-note funk of Johnson and the rolling thunder of Erskine. The title track is a one-note ostinato from the bassist with a popping, driven drum rhythm and the guitars more unified in their lines, but broadening their individualistic voices. The light reggae funk of "Mojo Highway" sounds more conversational and jam-like, while "Thanks Again" is a relaxed, unforced waltz, again eschewing Asian-Missouri folkloric alchemy fired by Frisell's wah-wah and Scofield's stairstep strums. Ethereal and effusive sky church inflections lead to loose associations, especially from Frisell's moon-walking guitar synthesizer on "A Wishing Doll." There are three covers: a take on Elmer Bernstein's "A Wishing Doll;" "Resolution," the second movement from John Coltrane's A Love Supreme suite, with a more spiky bass and spacy lead melody played only once; and the standard "Black Is the Color of My True Love's Hair," floating and eerie, held together by silk and lace threads. One of two Bass Desires albums, this debut has stood the test of time -- it is priceless, timeless, and still far from being dated. ~ Michael G. Nastos

Track Listing
1. Samurai Hee-Haw
2. Resolution
3. Black Is the Color of My True Love's Hair
4. Bass Desires
5. Wishing Doll, A
6. Mojo Highway
7. Thanks Again

Personnel: Marc Johnson (bass); Bill Frisell (synthesizer, guitar); John Scofield (guitar); Peter Erskine (drums).Recorded at Power Station, New York, New York in May 1985.

bfe681b0c8a0d0b89992b110.L.jpg

Rockferry -- CD

Duffy

2008 Mercury Records

Amazon.co.uk

Rockferry, the Welsh singer's lovingly constructed debut album, has already succeeded beyond expectations, and although Duffy may not quite be the ingénue portrayed by a clever press campaign (she nearly won a local television talent show a few years back while a single credited to Aimee Duffy is still available on iTunes) she is surely the most appealing of the current flood of young soul sirens. The astonishing title track, co-written by Bernard Butler, sounded like a lost transmission that had taken decades to get through as soon as it hit radio last year. But the gently rolling soul ballad "Stepping Stone", that strapping, inescapable monster hit "Mercy", the ice cool "Serious" (the one time she really does channel the spirit of Dusty Springfield) and the wistful, elegant "Warwick Avenue" are similarly effective. Suggestions by some that Rockferry is little more than sixties pastiche are churlish. Butler's previous work with David McAlmont (featured here as a backing singer) showed his skill at writing and arranging the dramatic, while her other collaborators such as Steve Booker and the team of Jimmy Hogarth and Eg White are hardly lightweights. But despite some wonderful orchestral settings, it's Duffy's terrific voice that makes this so satisfying, even overpowering Butler's exquisitely underplayed guitar work on "Rockferry" itself. Growling the blues on "Syrup & Honey" or belting it out over his lovingly arranged wall of sound on "Distant Dreamer", she sets the tone throughout, several of her songs dealing with escape, both physical and romantic. The sound of someone singing herself to stardom, Rockferry is at times genuinely amazing. --Steve Jelbert

1. "Rockferry" Duffy, Bernard Butler 4:14
2. "Warwick Avenue" Duffy, Jimmy Hogarth, Eg White 3:46
3. "Serious" Duffy, Butler 4:10
4. "Stepping Stone" Duffy, Steve Booker 3:28
5. "Syrup & Honey" Duffy, Butler 3:18
6. "Hanging on Too Long" Duffy, Hogarth, White 3:56
7. "Mercy" Duffy, Booker 3:41
8. "Delayed Devotion" Duffy, Hogarth, White 2:57
9. "I'm Scared" Duffy, Hogarth 3:08
10. "Distant Dreamer" Duffy, Butler 5:05

519QSc5QcLL.jpg

Body & Soul -- Remastered CD

Erroll Garner

1991 Columbia Jazz Masterpieces

As was the case with Fats Waller, Erroll Garner's natural and advanced musical talent ingratiated him to jazz aficionados and experts alike. Garner took to the piano intuitively, never needing to take lessons because of his exceptional ear for music. Further breaking the mold, he transcended many of the jazz styles he came up with, including both swing and bebop. You hear the power of swing pianist Earl Hines in his fleet and robust approach, and, yes, he once played with Charlie Parker, but as heard on this Columbia collection from 1951-1952, Garner concocts a unique blend of the big band's svelte rhythms and bebop's heady swing. On the 20 gems found on Body and Soul, Garner employs a rush of dynamics, yet never compromises the inherent lyricism of the set's many standards. This balancing act cuts across a varied set of brisk swingers (Waller's "Honeysuckle Rose"), fine ballads ("I Can't Get Started"), and medium-tempo strollers ("It's the Talk of the Town"). In light of Garner's thoroughly engaging and self-contained work at the piano, even the fact that bassist John Simmons and drummer Shadow Wilson are practically inaudible becomes negligible. Garner bolsters many of these "little symphonies" with clever intros: a miniature recasting of the song's chord and harmonic structure, heard to sublime effect here on "Summertime" and "Body and Soul" (Garner would expand these preambles in the future, particularly on solo piano outings). And in response to criticisms of his playing being too ornate (extra tremolo on the ballads), it should be said that part of Garner's charm is his "old-fashioned" phrasing, part of the romantic and urbane touch he employs to keep said indulgences in check most of the time. Body and Soul is a fine collection of early Garner sides. Highly recommended. ~ Stephen Cook

Track Listing
1. The Way You Look Tonght
2. Body and Soul
3. Indiana
4. Honeysuckle Rose
5. I'm in the Mood For Love
6. I Can't Get Started
7. Piano, Play Play
8. Undecided
9. You're Blase
10. Sophisticated Lady
11. Ain't She Sweet?
12. I Didn't Know
13. Fine and Dandy
14. Robbins' Nest
15. Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone
16. It's the Talk of the Town
17. You're Driving Me Crazy
18. Ja-Da
19. Summertime
20. I Never Knew

Personnel: Erroll Garner (piano); John Simmons (bass); Shadow Wilson (drums).Includes liner notes by Kevin Whitehead.Digitally remastered by Tim Geelan (Sony Music Studios, New York, New York).

ff96828fd7a067946a923110.L.jpg

Big Bags -- Remastered CD

Milt Jackson Orchestra

1962/1989 Riverside/OJC Records

Vibraphonist Milt Jackson is backed by a big band for this change-of-pace release, reissued on CD along with two alternate takes. The Ernie Wilkins and Tadd Dameron arrangements fit the high-quality standards well and Jackson (who contributed two originals) is in top form. There are short solos for cornetist Nat Adderley, trombonist Jimmy Cleveland, and the tenors of James Moody and Jimmy Heath but Milt Jackson is the main voice throughout this melodic and always-swinging set. [Originally issued in 1962, Big Bags was reissued on CD in 1989 and includes bonus tracks not included on the LP.] ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Old Devil Moon
2. 'Round Midnight (Take 2) - (take 2)
3. bonus track) 'Round Midnight (Take 1) - (Take 1
4. The Dream Is You
5. You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To
6. Echoes
7. If You Could See Me Now
8. Star Eyes (Take 5) - (Take 5)
9. bonus track) Star Eyes (Take 4) - (Take 4
10. Namesake
11. If I Should Lose You
12. Later Than You Think

Personnel: Milt Jackson (vibraphone); Jerome Richardson (flute, saxophone, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); Jimmy Heath (flute, saxophone, tenor saxophone); James Moody (flute, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); George Dorsey (flute, alto saxophone); Earle Warren (alto saxophone); Tate Houston, Arthur "Babe"Clarke (baritone saxophone); Clark Terry (trumpet, flugelhorn); Dave Burns, Doc Severinsen, Ernie Royal, Nat Adderley, Snooky Young, Bernie Glow (trumpet); Willie Ruff (French horn); Jimmy Cleveland, Melba Liston, Tom McIntosh, Paul Faulise (trombone); Hank Jones (piano); Connie Kay, Philly Joe Jones (drums).Liner Note Authors: Jon Goldberger ; Joe Goldberg.Recording information: Plaza Sound Studios, New York, NY (06/19/1962-07/05/1962).Director: Ernie Wilkins.Unknown Contributor Roles: Clark Terry; Doc Severinsen; Earle Warren; Hank Jones ; Jimmy Heath; James Moody ; Jimmy Cleveland; Melba Liston; Nat Adderley; Philly Joe Jones; Ron Carter ; Snooky Young; Arthur "Babe"Clarke .Arrangers: Ernie Wilkins; Tadd Dameron.

ntf-cover.jpg

I did not expect to hear another new studio album from these guys in this lifetime. I almost posted this in the "What made you happy today?" thread.

:music-listening:

51pgNsKfokL.jpg

Bags' Opus -- Remastered CD

Milt Jackson

1958/1991 United Artists/Blue Note Records

Jazz Heaven August 9, 2002
By Macjazz1
Format:Audio CD

This is a great album! Between Benny Golson's tunes and Milt Jackson's playing this thing really achieves liftoff - it'll carry you right to jazz heaven if you listen. Afternoon in Paris, Whisper Not, and I Remember Clifford are especially soulful - I think this is a candidate for being the definitive version of Golson's tribute to Clifford Brown. Milt Jackson's solo is straight from the heart and totally captures the feel of this piece. Brilliant and moving. With Bennie Golson, Paul Chambers, Connie Kay, Art Farmer, and Tommy Flannagan - what a lineup! A classic late 50's Blue Note album.

1. Ill Wind
2. Blues For Diahann
3. Afternoon In Paris
4. I Remember Clifford
5. Thinking Of You
6. Whisper Not

Milt Jackson, Vibes. Benny Golson, Tenor Sax. Art Farmer, Trumpet. Tommy Flanagan, Piano. Paul Chambers, Bass. Connie Kay, Drums.

Botch said:
ntf-cover.jpg

I did not expect to hear another new studio album from these guys in this lifetime. I almost posted this in the "What made you happy today?" thread.

:music-listening:
Yeah, I think you may be right. :think:

I've had my eye on that one too. Great choice Botch! :text-bravo:

Dennie :eusa-clap:

Hey Keith, this one made me think of you! :eusa-whistle: :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

615su5q-NTL.jpg

Little Queen -- CD

Heart

1977 Portrait Records

Heart's sophomore effort, 1977's LITTLE QUEEN, was another strong and classic release for the band, despite the fact that they were caught up in a nightmarish legal wrangle with their former record label (who issued the half-finished album MAGAZINE shortly after LITTLE QUEEN, against the band's wishes).The raging and venomous "Barracuda" remains one of Heart's best rock tracks, while the gorgeous "Love Alive" is an engaging acoustic number. With LITTLE QUEEN, Heart solidified their standing as one of the late-'70s biggest hard rock acts, possessing the perfect mixture of good looks and great hooks.

Track Listing
1. Barracuda
2. Love Alive
3. Sylvan Song
4. Dream of the Archer
5. Kick It Out
6. Little Queen
7. Treat Me Well
8. Say Hello
9. Cry to Me
10. Go on Cry

Ann Wilson (vocals, guitar, violin, flute, keyboards); Nancy Wilson (vocals, guitar, piano); Lynn Wilson Keagle (vocals); Roger Fisher (guitar, electric guitar, steel guitar, mandolin); Michael DeRosier (drums, tabla, timpani, percussion, chimes); Mike Flicker, Steve Fossen (percussion).Recording information: Kaye Smith Studios, Seattle, WA (02/1977-04/1977)

Back