• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

51UyHppYG8L.jpg

In The Flesh (Live)-- 2 CD Set

Roger Waters

2000 Columbia Records

With IN THE FLESH, ex-Pink Floyd vocalist, bassist, and genius behind THE WALL Roger Waters releases a superbly recorded live album that covers his entire career. Acknowledging that his old band has performed DARK SIDE OF THE MOON many times, and that a live version of THE WALL was recently released, Waters delivers a set of FM staples, mixed with rarities that aficionados will appreciate.Floyd classics are given new twists, such as the female vocals on "Mother," and Waters' singing lead on "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2." Going back to Pink Floyd's psychedelic early days, the seven-minute "Set the Controls For the Heart of the Sun" is performed both eerily and masterfully. "Perfect Sense (Parts I and II)" works as an excellent crowd singalong, and is wonderful companion material to the previously mentioned Floyd albums. "Each Small Candle," the only new song in the set, and the centerpiece of an upcoming album, shows that Waters is as creative as he's ever been. IN THE FLESH--LIVE is perfect for those who want to relive these dramatic performances, and those who want a document of a compelling live concert.

Track Listing
DISC 1:
1. In the Flesh
2. The Happiest Days of Our Lives
3. Pt. 2 Another Brick in the Wall
4. Mother
5. Get Your Filthy Hands off My Desert
6. Southhampton Dock
7. Pt. 1 Pigs on the Wing
8. Dogs
9. Welcome to the Machine
10. Wish You Were Here
11. Pts. 1-8 Shine on You Crazy Diamond
12. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

DISC 2:
1. Breathe (In the Air)
2. Time
3. Money
4. Pt. 11 (aka 5:06 AM- Every Stranger's Ey Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking
5. Pts. 1-2 Perfect Sense
6. The Bravery of Being out of Range
7. It's a Miracle
8. Amused to Death
9. Brain Damage
10. Eclipse
11. Comfortably Numb
12. Each Small Candle - (previously unreleased)

Personnel: Roger Waters (vocals, guitar, bass); Jon Carin (vocals, guitar, lap steel, keyboards, programming); Andy Fairweather Low (vocals, guitar, bass); Doyle Bramhall II (vocals, guitar); Katie Kissoon, Susannah Melvoin, P P Arnold (vocals); Snowy White (guitar); Andy Wallace (Hammond organ, keyboards).Recorded live at The Rose Garden Arena, Portland, Oregon; America West Arena, Phoenix, Arizona; MGM Grand Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, Irvine, California. Includes liner notes by Roger Waters.

25806359109.jpg

Side 1 of this album only has two songs, but its still possibly the greatest "side 1" ever recorded. :bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

come-away-with-me.jpg

I really REALLY like this one (Norah Jones, Come Away With Me). Very nice songwriting, interesting instrumental arrangements, and this is a fantastic recording as well - very clean with minimal (as far as I can tell) reverb and other such effects. Norah's vocals remind me of the famous (to our crowd) track of Keb Mo's, Every Morning. Just that clear and intimate.

Aside: Zing told me Norah Jones was nothing but "background music that I can't really pay attention to." :teasing-neener: (Or something along those lines, I forget his exact words.) Just underscores to me that despite some overlap in our tastes, Zing and I look for fundamentally different things in music. And that's ok. I mention this mainly because it was at his house a few weeks ago that I first listened to Norah.

I do have a major gripe though with, from what I can tell, people classifying this album, and Norah in general, as jazz. There's nothing even remotely jazz-like in the structure of this music. Ok yeah she uses an acoustic bass and records under the Blue Note label, but there the connection to jazz ends IMHO. There's more country on this album, including a Hank Williams tune, than jazz. :roll:

PaulyT said:
Aside: Zing told me Norah Jones was nothing but "background music that I can't really pay attention to." :teasing-neener: (Or something along those lines, I forget his exact words.)
Then you ought not to use quotation marks around something I didn't say. :angry-tappingfoot:

PaulyT said:
Zing and I look for fundamentally different things in music. And that's ok.
Of course it is. What may move me to tears may cause you to vomit and vice versa. Also, you seem to be significantly more analytical than I am when it comes to music listening. Not that there's anything wrong with dissecting a song but I just wouldn't want you to say OH! He played that note twice. I can no longer like this song. :eek:bscene-buttred:

513vzCITMYL.jpg

The Three Americas -- CD

Eliane Elias

1997 Blue Note Records

THE THREE AMERICAS are apparently seen most elegantly and swingingly from Brazil, as this album by Brazilian pianist Elias combines jazz, Afro-Caribbean and Brazilian music in a natural and uplifting way. The space and colors of Brazilian music leave room for Elias and her band to blend other traditions into the recipe, transmuting the recipe into something fresh. Spain is evoked in "Chorango" with the addition of violin and accordion; Dave Valentin's flute gracefully takes over, doubling the piano melodies, on "Crystal and Lace;" on "Caipora," Cuban basslines support Cafe's Brazilian percussion. All this is combined with the modern jazz forms of Elias' compositions. She's a talented singer too, crooning in a melismatic Brazilian style on the opening cut "An Up Dawn" and offering a fresh interpretation of Jobim's "Brigas Nunca Mais".

Track Listing
1. An Up Dawn
2. The Time Is Now
3. Caipora
4. Chorango
5. Chega de Saudade
6. Crystal and Lace
7. Nunca Mais Brigas
8. Introduction to Guarani
9. O Guarani
10. Jungle Journey
11. Missing You
12. Jumping Fox

Personnel: Eliane Elias (vocals, piano); Amanda Elias Brecker (vocals); Oscar Castro-Neves (guitar, acoustic guitar); Mark Feldman (violin); Marc Johnson (strings, acoustic bass, background vocals); Dave Valentin (flute); Gil Goldstein (accordion); Satoshi Takeishi (drums, background vocals); Caf‚ (percussion, background vocals); Manolo Badrena (percussion).Audio Mixer: James Farber.Recording information: Avatar Studios, New York, NY (1996).Photographer: Lisa Peardon.Arranger: Eliane Elias.

51eFeUTlp4L.jpg

Fontessa -- Remastered CD

The Modern Jazz Quartet

1956/???? Warner Music Europe (Import Germany)

FINE SWINGIN LYRICAL ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!! February 27, 2004
By Christopher Covais
Format:Audio CD

There is no reason why this album by the Modern Jazz Quartet should not get five stars. This particular album swings a litte bit more agressively than some albums before it, but still has the lyrical/classical influences of their past albums. It starts off with the swingin Versailles than goes in to the slow rather boring Angel Eyes, than comes the masterpiece. A four movement composition, Fontessa. It's great. Other ground breaking songs like Bluesology, Jackson's more early popular blues piece, and Dizzy Gillespie's Woody n' You. Over all this album is bright, fresh, melodic, soul clensing, soothing, brialliant, beatiful, clean jazz records of MJQ history. And record history of all time.

Track Listing
1. Versailles (Porte de Versailles)
2. Angel Eyes
3. Fontessa
4. Over the Rainbow
5. Bluesology
6. Willow Weep for Me
7. Woodyn You

Modern Jazz Quartet: John Lewis (piano); Milt Jackson (vibraphone); Percy Heath (acoustic bass); Connie Kay (drums).

Today's work truck music...

14898149e7a0bcfe1031e110.L.jpg

Wes Bound -- CD

Lee Ritenour

1993 GRP Records

Amazing Tribute, August 9, 2001
By Russell Diederich (Littleton, CO United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Wes Bound (Audio CD)

This album was my first exposure to both Lee Ritenour and Wes Montgomery. Who could ask for anything more? Ritenour gives a stunning tribute to one of the greatest jazz guitarists ever to fret a chord. Montgomery always seemed to be playing effortlessly while always keeping the listener entertained by his rhythms and solos.

Ritenour splits the album by covering Montgomery for half the songs and spends the other half composing songs in the style of Montgomery. Ritenour's covers have a bit of artistic freedom as he colors the songs to his own style of playing. This album sounds more like a tribute to Ritenour's hero instead of someone flat out copying the songs note for note.

All of these songs are strictly instrumental (except for "Waiting In Vain", which really doesn't fit in with the other songs of the album). Ritenour's licks are fast, varied and entertaining. He has the classic L5 sound throughout the album that just screams jazz. The backing band gives the album more of a smooth jazz feeling, but Ritenour's playing stands out.

Track List:
1. Wes Bound
2. Boss City
3. 4 On 6
4. Little Bumpin', A
5. Waiting In Vain
6. Goin' To Detroit
7. New Day, A
8. Ocean Ave.
9. Road Song
10. West Coast Blues

618F6fhbneL.jpg

"1983 posthumous release from the Reggae legend. The songs on this album were compiled from unreleased material and singles recorded during Marley's lifetime."

Island Record's often overlooked 'Confrontation' has some really nice Jamaican rhythms. . . (and the Wailers sounding good)
~ topper

61Slqd9034L.jpg

Lush Life - The Music of Billy Strayhorn -- CD

Joe Henderson

1992 Verve Records

Billy Strayhorn was one of the greatest composers in jazz history. It's no wonder Duke Ellington, his longtime collaborator, considered Strayhorn to be his alter ego. The beauty of Strayhorn's music lies in the fact that his tunes need no embellishment, yet at the same time, they are great vehicles for improvisation. For the performer, his music requires sensitivity, but it also invites daring interpretations.Both reverent and playful, tenor saxophonist Joe Henderson strikes a perfect balance on 1992's LUSH LIFE: THE MUSIC OF BILLY STRAYHORN. Trumpeter Wynton Marsalis contributes tremendously to this album with blistering solos on "Johnny Come Lately" and "U.M.M.G. (Upper Manhattan Medical Group)." However, other musicians are featured throughout, as well--the three duo tracks, "Isfahan," "Lotus Blossom," and "Take the 'A' Train," illustrate the greatness of bassist Christian McBride, pianist Stephen Scott, and drummer Gregory Hutchinson, respectively. Henderson himself displays tremendous improvisational prowess on all the tracks, particularly shining on his solo rendition of "Lush Life."

Track Listing
1. Isfahan
2. Johnny Come Lately
3. Blood Count
4. Rain Check
5. Lotus Blossom
6. A Flower Is a Lovesome Thing
7. Take the "A" Train
8. Drawing Room Blues
9. U.M.M.G. (Upper Manhattan Medical Group)
10. Lush Life

Personnel: Joe Henderson (tenor saxophone); Joe Henderson; Christian McBride (bass instrument); Wynton Marsalis (trumpet); Stephen Scott (piano); Gregory Hutchinson (drums).Audio Mixer: Rudy Van Gelder.Liner Note Authors: Stanley Crouch; Dean Pratt.Recording information: Van Gelder Studios, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (09/03/1991-09/08/1991).Photographers: Susan Ragan; William Claxton.Arranger: Don Sickler.

618kpwXesCL.jpg

Jazz Masters 31 -- CD

Cannonball Adderley

1994 Verve Records

Julian "Cannonball" Adderley didn't spend long at Verve Records, but his releases there, highlighted by the outstanding JULIAN CANNONBALL ADDERLEY AND STRINGS and JUMP FOR JOY albums, are among his very best. This compilation covers the highlights of Adderley's tenure with Verve, focusing on lush versions of such standards as "What's New," "You'd Be So Nice to Come Home to," and "The Way You Look Tonight."The alto saxophonist had a remarkable facility for ballads, and his versions of these classics are among the best. Elsewhere, Adderley pulls off a sassy take on Duke Ellington's "I Got it Bad (and that Ain't Good)" and a staggeringly complex reading of Thelonious Monk's bop workout "Straight, No Chaser." Adderley's originals more than hold their own in such exalted company. True fans will want the albums themselves, but this compilation is a wonderful introduction.

Track Listing
1. What's New?
2. The Song Is You
3. I'm Glad There Is You
4. You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To
5. Cynthia's in Love
6. The Masquerade Is Over
7. Limehouse Blues
8. Lover Man
9. Stars Fell on Alabama
10. Sweet Dreams
11. Spring Is Here
12. The Way You Look Tonight
13. Falling in Love With Love
14. Little Girl Blue
15. I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)
16. No Chaser Straight

Personnel includes: Cannonball Adderly (alto saxophone); Richard Hayman, Bill Russo (conductor); John Coltrane (tenor saxophone); Jerome Richardson (tenor saxophone, flute); Cecil Payne (baritone saxophone); Nat Adderley, Ernie Royal (trumpet); Jimmy Cleveland, J.J. Johnson (trombone); Junior Mance, John Williams, Wynton Kelly, Bill Evans (piano); Sam Jones, Paul Chambers, Keter Betts, Milt Hinton (bass); Jimmy Cobb, Kenny Clarke (drums).Producer: Bob Shad.Compilation producer: Michael Lang.Recorded between 1955 and 1959. Includes liner notes by Joe Goldberg.Digitally remastered by Suha Gur (Polygram Studios).This is part of the Verve Jazz Masters series.Personnel: Cannonball Adderley (alto saxophone); Leo Kruczek, Gene Orloff (vocals); Barry Galbraith (guitar); Dave Schwartz (viola); George Ricci (cello); Jerome Richardson (flute, tenor saxophone); John Coltrane (tenor saxophone); Danny Bank, Cecil Payne (baritone saxophone); Emmett Berry, Ernie Royal, Nat Adderley (trumpet); J.J. Johnson , Jimmy Cleveland, Bobby Byrne (trombone); Junior Mance, Wynton Kelly, Bill Evans (piano); Charles "Specs" Wright, Jimmy Cobb (drums).Liner Note Author: Joe Goldberg.Recording information: Capitol Studios, New York, NY (07/21/1955-02/??/1959); Mercury Sound Studio, New York, NY (07/21/1955-02/??/1959); Universal Recording Studio B, Chicago, IL (07/21/1955-02/??/1959).

61jfY6pzjSL.jpg

Mr. Blue Sky - The Very Best of ELO -- CD

Jeff Lynne/ELO

2012 Big Trilby Records

Mr. Blue Sky The Very Best of Electric Light Orchestra is a powerful new testament to Jeff Lynne s enduring artistry and his singular desire to get things right once and for all. Here, Lynne has artfully revisited and re-recorded the greatest hits of Electric Light Orchestra, and actually improved on some of the most classic and beloved recordings of all time.
The result is, in effect, a kind of showdown between the Jeff Lynne of today and his extremely illustrious past, and thanks to improved technology and recording artistry, wouldn t you know it, Lynne somehow comes out on top again. So do all of us fans who get another fresh chance to hear these extraordinary songs sounding quite literally better than they
ever have before.

1. Mr. Blue Sky
2. Evil Woman
3. Strange Magic
4. Don't Bring Me Down
5. Turn to Stone
6. Showdown
7. Telephone Line
8. Livin' Thing
9. Do Ya
10. Can't Get It Out of My Head
BONUS TRACKS
11. 10538 Overture (40th Anniversary)
12. Point of No Return (Previously Unreleased)

Today's work truck music.....

51rpf7gst1L._SS400_.jpg

Play The Blues - Live From Jazz at Lincoln Center -- CD

Wynton Marsalis & Eric Clapton

2011 Reprise Jazz

New York City’s premier jazz venue got the blues last April when Wynton Marsalis and Eric Clapton performed together in Rose Theater at Frederick P. Rose Hall, home of Jazz at Lincoln Center for two sold-out shows dedicated to vintage blues. The extraordinary collaboration, billed as Wynton Marsalis & Eric Clapton Play the Blues, paired these musical virtuosos with members of the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra as they brought to life a repertoire of songs selected by Clapton and arranged by Marsalis.

Marsalis and Clapton were joined on stage by Dan Nimmer (piano), Carlos Henriquez (bass), Ali Jackson (drums), Marcus Printup (trumpet), Victor Goines (clarinet), Chris Crenshaw (trombone, vocals), Don Vappie (banjo) and Clapton’s longtime keyboarist/sideman Chris Stainton. Marsalis says the group combined the sound of an early blues jump-band with the sound of New Orleans jazz to accommodate the integration of guitar/trumpet lead, a combination that gave the musicians the latitude to play different grooves, from the Delta to the Caribbean and beyond.

1. Ice Cream
2. Forty-Four
3. Joe Turner's Blues
4. The Last Time
5. Careless Love
6. Kidman Blues
7. Layla
8. Joliet Bound
9. Just A Closer Walk With Thee
10. Corrine, Corrina

51p9tCy%2B9UL.jpg

The Best of...- Blue Note Years -- CD

Jimmy Smith

1988 Capitol/Blue Note Records

Contains 1 mono track.One of the undisputed kings of the jazz organ, Jimmy Smith cut many of his finest recordings for the venerable Blue Note label in the late 1950s and early '60s. This collection presents six of these tracks, along with the chronologically out-of-place, but sonically in-step "Fungii Mama," a deft, Latin-tinged number from '86. "The Sermon" and "Back at the Chicken Shack," two funky originals, are highlights of the set, with Smith offering up some of his most memorable blues-tinged Hammond B3 lines. These and other tunes, such as "The Jumpin' Blues," are sterling examples of the then-nascent soul-jazz movement, a groove-centric style popularized in great part by Blue Note in the '60s and '70s. Never one to be easily pigeonholed, however, Smith also performs an undeniably nimble take on the traditional military-cadenced "When Johnny Comes Marching Home," proving that he could be an eclectic, unpredictable, and wonderfully playful performer. Although Smith is arguably best represented by his full albums of the era (see THE SERMON! and PRAYER MEETIN'), this compilation provides an excellent introduction to the jazz legend.

Track Listing
1. The Sermon
2. Fungii Mama
3. When Johnny Comes Marching Home
4. The Jumpin' Blues
5. Back at the Chicken Shack
6. The Champ - (bonus track, mono)
7. All Day Long - (bonus Track, mono)

d58151c88da0ad8dca852210.L.jpg

Live In San Francisco -- 20bit K2 Remastered CD

The Cannonball Adderley Quintet

1959/2000 Riverside/Fantasy Records

Hot on the heels of session work with Miles Davis and his KIND OF BLUE-era group, alto saxophonist Cannonball Adderley recorded this excellent live date with his brother, cornetist Nat Adderley, along with pianist Bobby Timmons, bassist Sam Jones, and drummer Louis Hayes. THE CANNONBALL ADDERLEY QUINTET IN SAN FRANCISCO defined the accessible, yet technically challenging, soul-jazz that Adderley would be associated with for the rest of his career.The warm, exuberant feel of the quintet is especially evident on the set's two finest tracks--a spirited take on Randy Weston's "Hi-Fly," and on Timmons's swinging "This Here." Two of Adderley's own compositions, "Spontaneous Combustion" and "You Got It!," blend blazing post-bop dexterity with pulsing, infectious blues structures, and pave the way for a funky take on Thelonious Monk's "Straight, No Chaser" (a bonus track on the reissued CD). Both Cannonball and Nat Adderley play with stunning, bluesy brilliance here, while the rhythm section ably anchors the proceedings. Outside of SOMETHING ELSE (Adderley's 1958 masterpiece), IN SAN FRANCISCO may be the saxophonist's defining moment.

Track Listing
1. Announcement by Cannonball into This Here
2. Spontaneous Combustion
3. Hi-Fly
4. You Got It!
5. Bohemia After Dark
6. Straight, No Chaser (bonus track)

Personnel: Cannonball Adderley (alto saxophone); Nat Adderley (cornet); Bobby Timmons (piano); Sam Jones (bass); Louis Hayes (drums).Recorded live at The Jazz Workshop, San Francisco, California on October 18 & 20, 1959. Originally released on Riverside (1157). Includes original liner notes by Ralph J. Gleason.Digitally remastered using 20-bit K2 Super Coding System technology.

513pgsGeWlL.jpg

Jazz Side of The Moon - The Music of Pink Floyd -- SACD

Sam Yahel/Seamus Blake/Ari Hoenig/Mike Moreno

2008 Chesky Records

Rock reinterpreted via cool jazz October 4, 2008
By William Cobham
Format:Audio CD

A real daredevil project this, it takes the structure of Pink Floyd's album and then uses this as the departure point for some fluent cool jazz. The musicians are excellent, playing off one another as if in a live jam session, meticulously rhythmical and committed to finding the most adventurous routes out of and into jazz-rock. If you like Weather Report, Miles Davis, The Crusaders and Pat Metheny, this is for you. What can I tell you except be good to yourself and buy this album. I've been playing it nonstop; it's also a great drivetime album.

Track Listing
1. Breathe
2. On The Run (Part 1)
3. Time
4. Any Colour You Like
5. The Great Gig In The Sky
6. Money
7. Us And Them
8. Brain Damage
9. On The Run (Part 2)

Personnel: Sam Yahel (Hammond b-3 organ); Ari Hoenig (drums); Mike Moreno (acoustic guitar, electric guitar); Seamus Blake (tenor saxophone).

Today's work truck music...

f21d793509a0f3c04e113110.L.jpg

Kamakiriad -- CD

Donald Fagen

1993 Reprise Records

Fagen's Cool Concept Album
, July 24, 2002
By Alan Caylow (USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Kamakiriad (Audio CD)

Donald Fagen's 2nd solo album, 1993's "Kamakiriad," came darn close to being released as a Steely Dan album---Fagen's old Dan co-hort, Walter Becker, produced the album, plays guitar on it, and co-wrote the song "Snowbound," t'boot. But since Fagen practically wrote everything else for the album on his own, "Kamakiriad" was ultimately released as a Donald Fagen solo album (and the official return of Steely Dan would have to wait until 2000's "Two Against Nature"). But no matter---this "almost Steely Dan" album is simply terrific, filled with all of the high trademark qualities you'd expect in the music of a Dan man. It's a cool mixture of cocktail jazz/pop, featuring Fagen's hip vocals, cookin' guitars, fat drums, smooth keyboards, happenin' horns, and, for the cherry on top, great sound & production that's very crisp. Not only that, but "Kamakiriad" is a cool *concept* album, telling the story of an Everyman living sometime in the future, who takes off for a spin in his technological wonder car of the 21st century, the Kamakiri, and has several adventures along the way. Being a single album rather than a double, the storyline for "Kamakiriad" may be a lot thinner than, say, The Who's "Tommy" or Pink Floyd's "The Wall," but I don't think Fagen was trying to compete with these double-album rock epics, and the story he tells here is nice & simple, to the point, and a lot of fun, just like the songs themselves.So, hop in the car, hit the "Trans-Island Skyway," admire the "Countermoon," take your pick of "Tomorrow's Girls," chill out "On The Dunes," and head out to that "Teahouse On The Tracks." Donald Fagen's "Kamakiriad" is a wonderful ride.

"Trans-Island Skyway" (Fagen) – 6:30
"Countermoon" (Fagen) – 5:05
"Springtime" (Fagen) – 5:06
"Snowbound" (Walter Becker, Fagen) – 7:08
"Tomorrow's Girls" (Fagen) – 6:17
"Florida Room" (Fagen, Libby Titus) – 6:02
"On the Dunes" (Fagen) – 8:07
"Teahouse on the Tracks" (Fagen) – 6:09

4186Q2G3BTL_zps240ea2d1.jpg

Jazz At Oberlin -- 20bit K2 Remastered CD

The Dave Brubeck Quartet

1953/2003 Fantasy Records

Dubbed as Dave Brubeck's first of many live recordings issued from concert performances on college campuses, Jazz at Oberlin (Ohio, in the Finney Chapel) also takes to task the notion that his band was ineffably cool. Alto saxophonist Paul Desmond is on fire no matter the tempo, and asserts his post-Charlie Parker influence in a way that few of his follow-up recordings intimated. This is a straight reissue from the original album, clocking in at under 40 minutes, but full of the great musicianship that made the Brubeck/Desmond tandem so popular. It's a recording also notable for bassist Ron Crotty and drummer Lloyd Davis, never as highly regarded as when they were in this quartet. Desmond comes out of the box smokin' for "These Foolish Things" even though the band plays easy blues/swing, and really tears up bop versions of "Perdido" and "The Way You Look Tonight." Only on the introduction of "How High the Moon" does Brubeck lead the way, deferring to his lead bandmate for most of this performance. Playing to a sophisticated, literate, academic crowd, the quartet appealed to these patrons to the extent that the pianist toured colleges exclusively for a time prior to the big hit "Take Five" becoming an iconic jazz staple. The Oberlin concert and LP release paved the way for the famous pair to perform prolifically throughout the decades of post-bop modern mainstream jazz. ~ Michael G. Nastos

Track Listing
1. These Foolish Things (Remind Me of You)
2. Perdido
3. Stardust
4. The Way You Look Tonight
5. How High the Moon

Dave Brubeck - piano
Paul Desmond - alto saxophone
Lloyd Davis - drums
Ron Crotty - bass

Dennie, bless his heart, posted an inexpensive source for Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here on 5.1 SACD for me a week or so ago, at a place called Music Direct.
After putting WYWH in my "basket", I poked around the rest of the site, and 2.3 paychecks later placed an order. Got the box from the Man In The Brown Shorts tonight! :banana-rock:

51vwT+ndxKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

hancock,_gershwin,_sacd.jpg

UDSACD2077-2.jpg

CRCASA61393.jpg

2171CPRM6140.jpg

Good start to the weekend!! :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

Back