• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Okay, I started with this one:

2171CPRM6140.jpg

For starters, if I woke up and saw that nose peeking out of the blankets next to me, I'd run for the front door screaming, wondering how much I drank the night before to end up with a guy in my bed! :scared-yipes: :scared-yipes: :scared-yipes:

It's a bad pic, she doesn't look that bad. However, this album is FANTASTIC!! Smoky, torchy, cool jazz! I need to add this one to the "Stellar Recordings" thread, it really does sound fantastic. I don't recognize the names of any of the musicians, but they're burnin'. :eusa-clap: :bow-blue:

Highly Recommended! :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Looks like fun Botch! :text-bravo:

Today's work truck music....

0d63225b9da00ce0b05dd010.L.jpg

Deuces Wild -- CD

B.B. King

1997 MCA Records

This is B.B.'s celebrity duet album, and a straightahead blues album this is not. But longtime fans who are aware of King's genre-stretching capabilities will find much to savor here. Kicking off with B.B. playing some beautiful fills and solo work behind Van Morrison on "If You Love Me," the superstars start lining up to jam with the King, with Tracy Chapman ("The Thrill Is Gone"), Eric Clapton (a funkified "Rock Me Baby"), the Rolling Stones ("Paying the Cost to Be the Boss," with a fine harp solo from Mick Jagger), Willie Nelson (his "Nightlife," long a standard in B.B.'s set list), Bonnie Raitt ("Baby I Love You") and Marty Stuart ("Confessin' the Blues") all turning in fine efforts.

1. If You Love Me - (with Van Morrison)

2. Thrill Is Gone, The - (with Tracy Chapman)

3. Rock Me Baby - (with Eric Clapton)

4. Please Send Me Someone to Love - (with Mick Hucknall)

5. Baby I Love You - (with Bonnie Raitt)

6. Ain't Nobody Home - (with D'Angelo)

7. There Must Be a Better World Somewhere - (with Dr. John)

8. Confessin' the Blues - (with Marty Stuart)

9. Paying the Cost to Be the Boss - (with The Rolling Stones)

10. Dangerous Mood - (with Joe Cocker)

11. Keep It Coming - (with Heavy D)

12. Cryin' Won't Help You - (with David Gilmour/Paul Carrack)

13. Night Life - (with Willie Nelson)

617cTxWI-7L.jpg

[ (2013 release ~ Swamp Records)

1 The Gift
2 Holed Up
3 Who You Gonna Hoodoo Now?
4 9 Foot Sack
5 Alligator, Mississippi
6 The Flood
7 Storm Comin'
8 Gypsy Epilogue
9 Sweet Tooth

CRCASA61393.jpg

This disc was a bit of a bargain, has Rhapsody in Blue, Concerto in F, and An American in Paris, but also "Variations on I got Rhythm" and Cuban Overture, which I'm not familiar with; almost 80 minutes playing time!
It is an A-D-D SACD, but not Surround; sounds wonderful nonetheless.

Botch said:
Okay, I started with this one:

2171CPRM6140.jpg

For starters, if I woke up and saw that nose peeking out of the blankets next to me, I'd run for the front door screaming, wondering how much I drank the night before to end up with a guy in my bed! :scared-yipes: :scared-yipes: :scared-yipes:

It's a bad pic, she doesn't look that bad. However, this album is FANTASTIC!! Smoky, torchy, cool jazz! I need to add this one to the "Stellar Recordings" thread, it really does sound fantastic. I don't recognize the names of any of the musicians, but they're burnin'. :eusa-clap: :bow-blue:

Highly Recommended! :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:
She would too!

Jeff

ps. She's a lesbian. :)

51nCuGwdpoL.jpg

On Fire -- CD

Michel Camilo

1989 EPIC Records

Pianist Michel Camilo's sophomore release for Epic records is the aptly titled ON FIRE. This brisk set of mostly Camilo originals sheds a good deal of light on the unique musical spirit of this dynamic artist. Showcasing his bristling enthusiasm, relentless chops and highly-developed musical intuition, Camilo masterfully commands a host of contemporary heavyweights including Dave Weckl and Marvin "Smitty" Smith (drums), Marc Johnson and Michael Bowie (bass) and percussion master Sammy Figueroa.The Caribbean funk of "Island Stomp" opens the set with a smile that shines through Camilo's rhythmic keyboard work. Likewise, the intricate Latin rhythms and modern swing of "Uptown Manhattan" attest to the pianist's connection to the New York music scene. As with most Camilo discs an installment of the continuing "Suite Sandrine" is included in the form of the delicate "Friends (Interlude II)." The most unique track, however, comes with "Hands & Feet," a delightful duet between Camilo's nimble hands and the furious feet of flamenco dancer Raul. Finally, a swinging reading of the standard "Softly, As In A Morning Sunrise" is a mellow change of pace before the monstrous, true-to-its-name title track which closes out the set.

Track Listing
1. Island Stomp
2. If You Knew...
3. Uptown Manhattan
4. Friends: Interlude II / Suite Sandrine
5. Hands & Feet
6. This Way Out
7. In Love
8. And Sammy Walked In
9. As in a Morning Sunrise Softly
10. On Fire

419TFQ8FAKL_zps31168718.jpg

Suddenly It's Spring -- CD

Zoot Sims

1992 Pablo/OJC Records

This CD reissue of one of tenor-saxophonist Zoot Sims's final recordings adds a version of "Emaline" to the original program. Pianist Jimmy Rowles often co-stars on the date (with bassist George Mraz and drummer Akira Tana offering solid support). The lyrical repertoire emphasizes ballads and pretty melodies with the highpoints including such offbeat material as Woody Guthrie's "So Long," Sims's "Brahms...I Think," "In the Middle of a Kiss" and the more familiar "Never Let Me Go" and "Suddenly It's Spring." The melodic performances are quite warm, romantic and enjoyable, fine examples of subtle creativity. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Brahms...I Think
2. I Can't Get Started
3. MacGuffie's Blues
4. In the Middle of a Kiss
5. So Long (It's Been Good to Know Yuh)
6. Never Let Me Go
7. Suddenly It's Spring
8. Emaline - (bonus track)

Personnel: Zoot Sims (tenor saxophone); Jimmy Rowles (piano); George Mraz (bass); Akira Tana (drums).Recorded May 1983.

LesterYoungTheJazzGiants_zps2c3908c6.jpg

The Jazz Giants -- Remastered CD

Lester Young

1956/1991 Verve Records

Most critics agree that Lester Young's 1950's recordings were flawed. His seminal work is from the mid to late '40s. However, THE JAZZ GIANTS, from 1956, proves otherwise. Young's performance on this set is quite inspired, although some critics contend that this was due to the superb interplay between the musicians (trumpeter Roy Eldridge, trombonist Vic Dickerson, and others).On tunes such as "I Didn't Know What Time It Was," "Gigantic Blues," and others, Young plays with his usual light and feathery touch. Roy Eldridge, who employs a brassy, more roughhewn approach, is the perfect match to Young's smooth, sparse playing. Indeed, this variety adds spice and momentum to each tune. THE JAZZ GIANTS is definitely Lester Young's best work from his later period.

Track Listing
1. I Guess I'll Have to Change My Plan
2. I Didn't Know What Time It Was
3. Gigantic Blues
4. This Year's Kisses
5. You Can Depend on Me

Personnel: Lester Young (tenor saxophone); Roy Eldridge (trumpet); Vic Dickenson (trombone); Teddy Wilson (piano); Freddie Green (guitar); Gene Ramey (bass); Jo Jones (drums).Recorded at Fine Sound, New York, New York on January 12, 1956.Digitally remastered by Dennis Drake.

51CQq2UsCeL.jpg

Bean Bags -- Remastered HDCD

Milt Jackson, Coleman Hawkins

1959/1998 Atlantic/Koch Jazz

Many of vibraphonist Milt Jackson's Atlantic recordings are long overdue to appear on CD, and that certainly includes Bean Bags, which features a meeting with the great tenor Coleman Hawkins. Assisted by a top-notch quartet (pianist Tommy Flanagan, guitarist Kenny Burrell, bassist Eddie Jones, and drummer Connie Kay), Bean Bags romps through "Stuffy," "Get Happy," a pair of Jackson originals, and two fine ballads, with "Don't Take Your Love From Me" being particularly memorable. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Close Your Eyes
2. Stuffy
3. Don't Take Your Love From Me
4. Get Happy
5. Sandra's Blues
6. Indian Blues

Personnel: Milt Jackson (vibraphone); Coleman Hawkins (tenor saxophone); Tommy Flanagan (piano); Kenny Burrell (guitar); Eddie Jones (bass) Connie Kay (drums).Producer: Nesuhi Ertegun.Reissue producers: Donald Elfman, Naomi Yoshii.Recorded in New York, New York on September 12, 1959. Originally released on Atlantic (1316). Includes liner notes by Nat Hentoff.Digitally remastered by Gene Paul (DB Plus, New York, New York).

51LiQ57BMLL._SS400_.jpg

REPTILE -- 24-bit HDCD Import

Eric Clapton

2001 East Record & Tape Company

"Reptile" - as in "Lizard Lounge" and it's Great!, April 5, 2001
By Martin A Hogan "Marty From SF" (San Francisco, CA. (Hercules)) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (TOP 100 REVIEWER) (2008 HOLIDAY TEAM) (REAL NAME)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Reptile (Audio CD)

For those expecting the rock of "Layla", the variety of "Pilgrim" or the funkiness of "461 Ocean Boulevard", you might be disappointed, but "Reptile" is a masterpiece. All fourteen songs are what you might expect from a personal concert in a small cafe from Eric Clapton. Rythym and Blues are the mainstay here and it shows with classic covers of Ray Charles', "Come Back Baby", James Taylors' "Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight" and Stevie Wonders', "I Ain't Gonna Stand For It". This collection stands out for consistency and pure love of 'feel good' club music. Granted, Clapton does push more energy on "Superman Inside", almost 'out-blues' himself on "Got You On My Mind" and pulls at your heartstrings with the lovely instrumental, "Son & Sylvia". Each of Clapton's albums vary from time to time and usually for the better. This is a 'low key evening by the fire' collection. It's just one of the things Clapton does the best.

"Reptile" (Eric Clapton) – 3:26
"Got You on My Mind" (Joe Thomas, Howard Briggs) – 4:30
"Travelin' Light" (J. J. Cale) – 4:17
"Believe in Life" (Clapton) – 5:05
"Come Back Baby" (Ray Charles) – 3:55
"Broken Down" (Simon Climie, Dennis Morgan) – 5:25
"Find Myself" (Clapton) – 5:15
"I Ain't Gonna Stand for It" (Stevie Wonder) – 4:49
"I Want a Little Girl" (Murray Mencher, Billy Moll) – 2:58
"Second Nature" (Clapton, Climie, Morgan) – 4:48
"Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight" (James Taylor) – 4:47
"Modern Girl" (Clapton) – 4:49
"Superman Inside" (Clapton, Doyle Bramhall II, Susannah Melvoin) – 5:07
"Son & Sylvia" (Clapton) – 4:43
"Losing Hand" [Bonus track from Japanese release] (Jesse Stone) – 4:18

Eric Clapton – vocals, guitars, producer, album sleeve concept
Steve Gadd – drums
Billy Preston – hammond organ, piano, harmonica
Nathan East – bass
Doyle Bramhall II – guitar
Pino Palladino – bass on "Reptile" and "Second Nature"
Andy Fairweather Low – guitar
Tim Carmon – piano, hammond organ, synthesizer
Paul Carrack – keyboards, wurlitzer, hammond organ
Paul Waller – drum programming
The Impressions – backing vocals
Joe Sample – Wurlitzer, fender rhodes, electric piano (08,11,14), piano (11,14)
Paulinho da Costa – percussion
Nick Ingman – string arrangement

61Qn5BO0F7L.jpg

Sextet -- SACD

Cal Tjader Stan Getz

1958/2004 Fantasy Records

STAN GETZ WITH CAL TJADER is a classic, not only because it pairs the renowned tenor player (Getz) with the great vibraphonist (Tjader), but because the additional personnel on the session make it something of an all-star date. Drummer Billy Higgins, still some time away from his work on the groundbreaking experiments of Ornette Coleman, appears here on one of his first sessions. Bassist Scott LaFaro, who would achieve fame as a member of Bill Evans's legendary trio, also makes an early appearance. Pianist Vince Guaraldi, a leader and composer in his own right (his "Ginza Samba" is one of the highlights on the set), sits in, as does fleet-fingered guitarist Eddie Duran.The ensemble--which has a lively, robust sound due to the instrumentation--moves effortlessly between highly lyrical ballads and fierce, up-tempo bop. The set includes several Tjader tunes, including the smart and swinging "Crow's Nest" and "Big Bear," while the group's treatment of the standard "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face" displays remarkable sensitivity and sweetness. Though Tjader and Getz are naturally in the forefront throughout--they both balance shimmering, cool tones with dazzling dexterity--there is fine soloing from all involved, making this a consistently superb set.

Track Listing
1. Ginza Samba
2. I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face
3. For All We Know
4. Crow's Next
5. Liz-Anne
6. Big Bear
7. My Buddy

Personnel: Stan Getz (tenor saxophone); Cal Tjader (vibraphone); Vince Guaraldi (piano); Eddie Duran (guitar); Scott LaFaro (bass); Billy Higgins (drums).Recorded at Circle Record Studios, San Francisco, California on February 8, 1958.

51twlCGOLSL.jpg

Listen Here! -- CD

The Gene Harris Quartet

1989 Concord Records

Although often associated with the blues, only one of the ten selections on this quartet set by pianist Gene Harris (who is joined by guitarist Ron Eschete, bassist Ray Brown, and drummer Jeff Hamilton) is technically a blues. On this excellent all-around showcase for the soulful pianist, Harris sounds in prime form exploring such tunes as "This Masquerade," "Don't Be That Way," Eddie Harris' "Listen Here," and "The Song Is Ended." Listen Here! gives listeners a pretty definitive look at Gene Harris' accessible and swinging style. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. This Masquerade
2. Don't Be That Way
3. I've Got a Feeling I'm Falling
4. Listen Here
5. This Can't Be Love
6. To You
7. Blues for Jezebel
8. Sweet and Lovely
9. Lullabye
10. The Song Is Ended

Gene Harris Quartet: Gene Harris (piano); Ron Eschete (guitar); Ray Brown (bass); Jeff Hamilton (drums).Recorded at The Plant Recording Studios, Sausalito, California in March 1989.

51hXfYWEAdL._SS500_.jpg

Getz/Gilberto -- SACD

Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto with Antinio Carlos Jobim and Astrud Gilberto

1964/2002 Verve Records

One of the biggest-selling jazz albums of all time, not to mention bossa nova's finest moment, Getz/Gilberto trumped Jazz Samba by bringing two of bossa nova's greatest innovators -- guitarist/singer Joao Gilberto and composer/pianist Antonio Carlos Jobim -- to New York to record with Stan Getz. The results were magic. Ever since Jazz Samba, the jazz marketplace had been flooded with bossa nova albums, and the overexposure was beginning to make the music seem like a fad. Getz/Gilberto made bossa nova a permanent part of the jazz landscape not just with its unassailable beauty, but with one of the biggest smash hit singles in jazz history -- "The Girl from Ipanema," a Jobim classic sung by Joao's wife, Astrud Gilberto, who had never performed outside of her own home prior to the recording session. Beyond that, most of the Jobim songs recorded here also became standards of the genre: "Corcovado" (which featured another vocal by Astrud), "So Danço Samba," "O Grande Amor," and a new version of "Desafinado." With such uniformly brilliant material, it's no wonder the album was such a success but, even apart from that, the musicians all play with an effortless grace that's arguably the fullest expression of bossa nova's dreamy romanticism ever brought to American listeners. Getz himself has never been more lyrical, and Gilberto and Jobim pull off the harmonic and rhythmic sophistication of the songs with a warm, relaxed charm. This music has nearly universal appeal; it's one of those rare jazz records about which the purist elite and the buying public are in total agreement. Beyond essential. [This edition of the album is presented in SACD format.] ~ Steve Huey

1. "The Girl from Ipanema" Antônio Carlos Jobim, Vinicius de Moraes, Norman Gimbel 5:24
2. "Doralice" Dorival Caymmi, Antonio Almeida 2:46
3. "Pra machucar meu coração" Ary Barroso 5:05
4. "Desafinado" Jobim, Newton Mendonça 4:15
5. "Corcovado" Jobim, Gene Lees 4:16
6. "Só danço samba" Jobim, de Moraes 3:45
7. "O grande amor" Jobim, de Moraes 5:27
8. "Vivo sonhando" Jobim 3:04
9. "The Girl from Ipanema" (45 rpm issue) Jobim, de Moraes, Gimbel 2:54
10. "Corcovado" (45 rpm issue) Jobim, Lees 2:20

Personnel: Stan Getz (tenor saxophone); Joao Gilberto (vocals, guitar); Astrud Gilberto (vocals); Antonio Carlos Jobim (piano); Milton Banana (drums).

This live recording rocks. The percussion is very "Early Santana Like".

And I do like.

Guilded Splinters was OK, not as good as Humble Pie's rock anthem

41NBNJNC1BL.jpg

Track Listing

1. Fishwater
2. Superstition
3. Fishwater Reprise
4. Christmas Katie
5. Beehive Jam
6. Big Chief
7. Drums
8. Weight of the World
9. I Walk on Guilded Splinters
10. Coconuts
11. Arleen

51xqEg7l%2BeL.jpg

Steamin' -- 20bit K2 Remastered CD

The Miles Davis Quintet

1961/2002 Prestige/Fantasy Records

STEAMIN' is one of the classic albums by Miles Davis's first great quintet, along with WORKIN', RELAXIN', and COOKIN'. With John Coltrane beside him in the front line, and the smooth-as-cream rhythm section of Philly Joe Jones (drummer), Paul Chambers (drums), and Red Garland (piano), Miles creates, on STEAMIN', a definitive slice of sophisticated post bop. Whether treating standards ("When I Fall in Love;" "Surrey With the Fringe On Top") or Thelonious Monk ("Well, You Needn't"), Miles and company never misstep, turning in a record for the ages that will not go stale, no matter how many times it's played.

Track Listing
1. Surrey with the Fringe on Top
2. Salt Peanuts
3. Something I Dreamed Last Night
4. Diane
5. You Needn't Well
6. When I Fall in Love

Miles Davis Quintet: Miles Davis (trumpet); John Coltrane (tenor saxophone); Red Garland (piano); Paul Chambers (bass); Philly Joe Jones (drums).Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on May 11 & October 26, 1956. Originally released on Prestige (7200). Includes liner notes by Joe Goldberg and Chris Albertson.

31N8T56PCXL_zpsf6f9adc5.jpg

Workin' -- 20bit K2 Remastered CD

The Miles Davis Quintet

1959/2003 Prestige/Fantasy Records

WORKIN' WITH THE MILES DAVIS QUINTET is a grab-bag of different moods culled from the 26 sides Miles cut in two final marathon sessions for Prestige on May 11 and October 26, 1956. From this stock of magnificent performances, Prestige also issued RELAXIN' and STEAMIN'.WORKIN' is notable for the bittersweet reverie of "It Never Entered My Mind," one of the most beautiful ballads Miles ever recorded. Red Garland's rippling second theme and bell-like intermezzo set off Miles' muted melody in sharp relief; Miles' poignant, breathy timbre and weightless phrasing is sheer poetry.But WORKIN' plumbs a variety of moods and grooves. Philly Joe Jones' dancing polyrhythms set the mood for Miles' famous lines "Four" and "Half Nelson." By now, Miles' work with the open horn is a product of his own aesthetic, distinguished by a thoughtful use of space, meticulous note placement and a variety of expressive brass shadings. By editing the more technocratic aspects of his line, Miles has arrived at a lighter, cooler, more personal style of phrasing. And now even the relentlessly forceful Coltrane exhibits greater patience and melodic focus.Musical treats abound. There are two delightful takes of Miles' coy, bluesy trademark "The Theme" and a funky statement of "Trane's Blues" (aka "Vierd Blues"). "Ahmad's Blues" is a low-down, after-hours feature for pianist Red Garland (who is not often accorded the credit he deserves for developing this cosmopolitan lyric style), featuring Paul Chambers' remarkable bow work. A perfect jazz band.

Track Listing
1. It Never Entered My Mind
2. Four
3. In Your Own Sweet Way
4. The - (Take 1) Theme
5. Trane's Blues
6. Ahmad's Blues
7. Half Nelson
8. The - (Take 2) Theme

Miles Davis Quintet: Miles Davis (trumpet); John Coltrane (tenor saxophone); Red Garland (piano); Paul Chambers (acoustic bass); Philly Joe Jones (drums).Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on May 11 & October 26, 1956. Originally released on Prestige (7166). Includes liner notes by Jack Maher.Digitally remastered using 20-bit K2 Super Coding System technology.

Back