• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

51iuBAlfmRL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

:bow-blue: :bow-blue:

51ZNwBYaYFL._SX300_.jpg

Track Listings
1. Rough Boys
2. Let My Love Open The Door
3. Misunderstood
4. Give Blood
5. A Friend Is A Friend
6. Sheraton Gibson
7. English Boy
8. Street In The City
9. Pure And Easy
10. Slit Skirts
11. The Sea Refuses No River
12. A Little Is Enough
13. Face The Face
14. Uneasy Street (Previously Unreleased)
15. Let My Love Open The Door (E. Cola Mix)

Today's work truck music....

f26b619009a07ab4a7976110.L.jpg

Two Rooms - Celebrating The Songs of Elton John & Bernie Taupin -- CD

Various Artists

1991 Polydor Records

Not you usual tribute album, January 17, 2012
By Tom Old Lyme - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Two Rooms: Celebrating the Songs of Elton John & Bernie Taupin (Audio CD)

Elton John has so many big hits it was interesting to hear them sung by the wide range of artists. George Micheal's version of Tonight and Sinead O'Connors song are gut wrenchingly beautiful.

1. Border Song - Eric Clapton
2. Rocket Man (I Think It's Going To Be A Long, Long Time) - Kate Bush
3. Come Down In Time - Sting
4. Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting) - The Who
5. Crocodile Rock - Beach Boys
6. Daniel - Wilson Phillips
7. Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word - Joe Cocker
8. Levon - Jon Bon Jovi
9. The *** Is Back - Tina Turner
10. Philadelphia Freedom - Daryl Hall And John Oates
11. Your Song - Rod Stewart
12. Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me - Oleta Adams
13. Madman Across The Water - Bruce Hornsby
14. Sacrifice - Sinead O'Connor < ------------------- :bow-blue:
15. Burn Down The Mission - Phil Collins
16. Tonight - George Michael

Today's work truck music...

Everything-But-The-Girl-The-Languag.jpg

The Language Of Life -- CD

Everything But The Girl

1990 Atlantic Records

Amazon.com

By the time of The Language of Life, Everything but the Girl had reached a point in their career where they could get accomplished jazz musicians Joe Sample, Michael Brecker, and Stan Getz to play on their album and not have it perceived as an affectation: the duo had already made five albums that showcased Ben Watt's ability to write a classic melody and Tracey Thorn's silky vocals. In working with producer Tommy Lipuma, they made an album of superficially perfect love songs--beautiful tunes all, but overproduced to the point where the feelings behind them are only rarely glimpsed. There are some great songs, though--"The Road," "Driving," "Me and Bobby D," "Imagining America" are some of the best in EBTG's distinguished catalog--and they manage to make Language a worthy album despite the shortcomings. Check out EBTG's Acoustic for more nuanced versions of "Driving" and "Me and Bobby D." --Randy Silver

All tracks composed by Ben Watt; except where indicated

"Driving"
"Get Back Together"
"Meet Me in the Morning" (Watt, Tracey Thorn)
"Me and Bobby D" (Watt, Tracey Thorn)
"The Language of Life" (Watt, Tracey Thorn)
"Take Me" (Cecil Womack, Linda Womack)
"Imagining America"
"Letting Love Go"
"My Baby Don't Love Me"
"The Road"

519YLZGFChL.jpg

(2013 ~ Stony Plain Recording Co.)

Jericho Road reflects the many musical influences that have informed Eric Bibb's writing throughout his career. World music, blues, folk and soul all find their way into the songs. Bibb is one of the highest profile international roots music artists, winning Acoustic Artist of the Year at the Blues Music Awards in 2013. Jericho Road was produced by long-term collaborator Glen Scott. Bibb says, "The night before his death, Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King said: "Ultimately, you cannot save yourself without saving others." If this record has a theme, that's it in a nutshell - HAVE A HEART."

0001932673_350_zps827e0fd5.jpg

A Little Piece of Heaven -- CD

The Gene Harris Quartet at STE. Chapelle Winery

1993 Concord Jazz

Gene Harris was always predictably excellent, particularly during his final decade. This CD has his quartet of 1993 (with guitarist Ron Eschete, bassist Luther Hughes, and drummer Paul Humphrey) performing such tunes as a soulful "Take the 'A' Train," the sly "Ma (He's Making Eyes at Me)," "My Little Suede Shoes," and even "Ode to Billie Joe." Harris, who is heard playing a concert in his adopted state of Idaho, often sounds in exuberant form talking to his hometown crowd. His fans will have little difficulty enjoying this happy date. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Blues in Baxter's Pad
2. Take the "A" Train
3. Blues for Ste. Chapelle
4. Ma (He's Making Eyes at Me)
5. Pensativa
6. How Long Has This Been Going On?
7. Scotch and Soda
8. My Little Suede Shoes
9. Old Dog Blues
10. Ode to Billie Joe
11. Sentimental Journey

Gene Harris Quartet: Gene Harris (piano); Ron Eschete (guitar); Luther Hughes (bass); Paul Humphrey (drums).Recorded live at the Ste. Chapelle Winery, Caldwell, Idaho on July 18, 1993. Includes liner notes by Wayne Thompson.

^ Disc is coming soon!!! Would you like to pre-order??? I guarantee it will be AweSome!!!!!

Always hummimg!!!!! :D

51twlCGOLSL.jpg

Listen Here! -- CD

The Gene Harris Quartet

1989 Concord Records

Although often associated with the blues, only one of the ten selections on this quartet set by pianist Gene Harris (who is joined by guitarist Ron Eschete, bassist Ray Brown, and drummer Jeff Hamilton) is technically a blues. On this excellent all-around showcase for the soulful pianist, Harris sounds in prime form exploring such tunes as "This Masquerade," "Don't Be That Way," Eddie Harris' "Listen Here," and "The Song Is Ended." Listen Here! gives listeners a pretty definitive look at Gene Harris' accessible and swinging style. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. This Masquerade
2. Don't Be That Way
3. I've Got a Feeling I'm Falling
4. Listen Here
5. This Can't Be Love
6. To You
7. Blues for Jezebel
8. Sweet and Lovely
9. Lullabye
10. The Song Is Ended

Gene Harris Quartet: Gene Harris (piano); Ron Eschete (guitar); Ray Brown (bass); Jeff Hamilton (drums).Recorded at The Plant Recording Studios, Sausalito, California in March 1989.

51CQq2UsCeL.jpg

Bean Bags -- Remastered HDCD

Milt Jackson, Coleman Hawkins

1959/1998 Atlantic/Koch Jazz

Many of vibraphonist Milt Jackson's Atlantic recordings are long overdue to appear on CD, and that certainly includes Bean Bags, which features a meeting with the great tenor Coleman Hawkins. Assisted by a top-notch quartet (pianist Tommy Flanagan, guitarist Kenny Burrell, bassist Eddie Jones, and drummer Connie Kay), Bean Bags romps through "Stuffy," "Get Happy," a pair of Jackson originals, and two fine ballads, with "Don't Take Your Love From Me" being particularly memorable. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Close Your Eyes
2. Stuffy
3. Don't Take Your Love From Me
4. Get Happy
5. Sandra's Blues
6. Indian Blues

Personnel: Milt Jackson (vibraphone); Coleman Hawkins (tenor saxophone); Tommy Flanagan (piano); Kenny Burrell (guitar); Eddie Jones (bass) Connie Kay (drums).Producer: Nesuhi Ertegun.Reissue producers: Donald Elfman, Naomi Yoshii.Recorded in New York, New York on September 12, 1959. Originally released on Atlantic (1316). Includes liner notes by Nat Hentoff.Digitally remastered by Gene Paul (DB Plus, New York, New York).

paul-mccartney-new.jpg

Sir Paul McCartney never ceases to amaze me! This is an amazing album from one of the best pop-rock songwriters and performers in history.

It many ways it reminds me of the brilliant Wings era. I love it.

61CWliE4mhL.jpg

Rossiter Road -- CD

Ahmad Jamal

1986 Atlantic Records

This is probably the best Jamal recording. June 11, 1998
By A Customer
Format:Audio CD

Tthis disc sizzles for one reason: Herlin Riley, the drummer. Jamal flies, he soars across the keyboard, across modalities and changes like few others, but unlike some other discs, Riley, along with the solid, if sweating, James Cammack, on bass, provides a solid launch pad. Get it, listen, and wonder why this trio hasn't made more discs.

All compositions by Ahmad Jamal except as indicated

"Milan" - 5:50
"If I Find the Way" - 4:12
"Without You" - 5:18
"Acorn" - 4:58
"Yellow Fellow" (Christian Paulin) - 6:20
"Autumn Rain" - 5:32
"Winter Snow" - 4:11
"Rossiter Road" - 6:09

Personnel: Ahmad Jamal (piano); James Cammack (bass); Herlin Riley (drums); Manola Badrena (percussion).Recorded at Skyline Studios, New York on February 1, 1986.

61r8uugOCAL.jpg

Nature - The Essence Part III - CD

Amhad Jamal

1998 Atlantic Records

Ahmad Jamal.Still pursuing his own muse, Jamal is up to his usual tricks with his hypnotic vamps and and feverish runs, as ever refusing to toe the line and sound like everyone else. In this, the third installment of his Essence series, Jamal adds a different twist -- a fine jazz steel drum player named Othello Molineaux -- and he mixes a few transfigured standards ("The End of a Love Affair" is completely re-routed through his nervous system) with pieces of his own. The first version (for quartet) of "If I Find You Again" is a magnificent example of the tension Jamal can generate. "And We Were Lovers" and "Chaperon" are huge, borderline bombastic piano solos that ought to erase any doubts that Jamal continues to command one monster keyboard technique. As in the previous Essence entries, a guest horn player shows up briefly, tenorman Stanley Turrentine in epigrammic form on "Devil's in My Den," and the ultra-responsive rhythm section remains Idris Muhammad (drums) and James Cammack (bass). ~ Richard S. Ginell

Track Listing
1. If I Find You Again - (Quartet)
2. Like Someone in Love
3. Chaperon
4. Devil's in My Den
5. And We Were Lovers
6. Fantastic Vehicle
7. End of a Love Affair, The
8. Cabin in the Sky: Cabin in the Sky/Poor Pierrot/The Reprise
9. If I Find You Again

Personnel: Ahmad Jamal (piano); Stanley Turrentine (saxophone); James Cammack (bass); Othello Molineaux (steel drums); Idris Muhammad (drums).Engineers: Gerard de Haro, Mathieu Chatagnon, Katsuhiko Naito.Recorded at Studio La Buissonne, Pernes Les Fontaines, France from July 23-25, 1997, and Masuo's Studio, New York, New York on January 2, 1998. Includes liner notes by Ahmad Jamal.

a44251c88da0775a6b9fe110.L.jpg

Stickin' To My Guns -- CD

Etta James

1990 Island Records

Blues belter Etta James came off a long period of drug rehab to make a comeback in 1989 with her first post-Chess album, SEVEN YEAR ITCH, a roots-conscious recording for Island. The follow-up, STICKIN' TO MY GUNS, is quite a different affair. While James's singing style is unchanged, and as ferocious as ever, there's much more of a "contemporary" feel to the production, with aggressive beats, popping bass, digital-sounding recording, and even a guest rap interlude on one track. James would soon depart Island for Elektra.

Track Listing
1. Whatever Gets You Through the Night
2. Love to Burn
3. The Blues Don't Care
4. Your Good Thing (Is About to End)
5. Get Funky
6. Beware
7. Out of the Rain
8. Stolen Affection
9. A Fool in Love
10. I've Got Dreams to Remember

Personnel includes: Etta James (vocals); Gary Burnette, Leo Nocentelli, Reggie Young, Mabon "Teenie" Hodges, Danny Rhodes, Arik Marshall, Josh Sklair (guitar); David L. Patterson (tenor & baritone saxophones); Gene Dinwiddie (tenor saxophone); Fernando Pullum (trumpet); John Dewey McKnight (trombone); Jimmie Wood (harmonica); Jimmy Pugh (piano, keyboards); Barry Beckett (keyboards); Mike Lawler (synthesizer); Michael Rhodes, Bobby Vega (bass); Roger Hawkins (drums); Greg "Smacky" Donerson (percussion); Dobie Gray, Def Jef (background vocals).

Back