• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

1b9ab340dca0182fcc8a9010.L.jpg

Get Down Tonight! -- CD

The Best of T.K. Records

1990 Rhino Records

Miami Nice. August 23, 2002
By yygsgsdrassil
Format:Audio CD
If this is Funk Town, We're Gonna Git Down.

So says Peter Brown in "Crank It Up", which starts up this five star trip inta pop disco and dirty southern soul. What's not to like about this? A coupla tunes may be candidates for VH1's great novelty show "One Hit Wonders"--funky ambassador Timmy Thomas' "Why Can't We Live Together" and glam'n rollgoers Foxy's
"Get Off" come to mind. (I think "Ring My Bell" already had it's shot on the show.) But, so what? Life ain't but a coupla good grunts and a one hit wonder, anyhoo. And, tell me...do you think the McCraes' His'n'Her 'rockin' singles can be any more infectuous? Naw!

TK Records was a Miami based organization which was home to the great KC and the Sunshine Band, but it also was a record company/recording studio which gave a twinge of a bluesy and down home feel to a lot of its productions, ala Stax/Volt. It's where Betty Wright did live tracks which turned out a classic rendition of "Tonight's The Night" and it's where Latimore got his famous "Let's Straighten It Out" produced. (A studio version of Betty's "Tonight's the Night" and Latimore's "Keep the Home Fire Burnin'" is featured here.)

Also, in my honest opinion, TK put out three of the best dance tunes ever made, per-i-od! Peter Brown's "Do You Wanna Get Funky..", Foxy's "Get Off" and Anita Ward's "Ring My Bell" And, Guess what? They're all here on one great CD.

So to hell wid it, and dang all the torpedoes: this CD gets my ringing endorsement and my greatest compliment, which is "Put it On and Let it Ride, Baby!"

1. Crank It Up - Peter Brown
2. Why Can't We Live Together - Timmy Thomas
3. Rock Your Baby - George McCrae
4. Rockin' Chair - Gwen McCrae
5. Get Down Tonight - KC And The Sunshine Band
6. Shoorah! - Betty Wright
7. Party Down - Little Beaver
8. Get Off - Foxy
9. Do You Wanna Party With Me - Peter Brown
10. Tonight Is The Night - Betty Wright
11. Keep The Home Fire Burning - Latinore
12. Ring My Bell - Anita Ward
13. I'm Your Boogie Man - KC And The Sunshine Band
14. Gimme Some - Jimmy Horn
15. Dance With Me - Peter Brown
16. Rapp Payback - James Brown
17. It's A Heartache - Ronnie Spector
18. Hot Number - Foxy

11365888.jpg

This has been posted by Babs before...we are enjoying this in the HT with our friend Swanny!!!!

Too awesome!!!! OMG!!!!! It is soooo late!

4439558.jpg

Now...a bit of Foreigner...next REO Speedwagon! Then, Babs is done!!!

Rock on bitches!!!! :music-rockout: Johnnie GoLD talking!!!!!! ;)

41VVo2JoIeL.jpg

Believe -- DVD-Audio

Aaron Neville

2002 Silverline/EMI Gospel

BELIEVE was nominated for the 2004 Grammy Award for Best Traditional Soul Gospel Album.Aaron Neville's is an angel's voice contained within the body of a dockworker (which he once was), and it turns out to be perfect for gospel. BELIEVE is the New Orleans native's second full-length release of religious material. Teaming with noted Muscle Shoals session cat Barry Beckett, Neville delivers an interesting slate of material that finds him rejoicing in his faith without becoming preachy. Original material is sprinkled throughout, including the smooth, acoustic-guitar-driven "Let Go," and "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus" with its robust brass arrangements. Otherwise, Neville is priming the pump for other people's material. Among the notable songs included are a casual reading of Pete Seeger's "If I Had a Hammer," a vibrant remake of the Edwin Hawkins Singers 1969 gospel-pop crossover smash "Oh Happy Day," and a punchy cover of Hank Williams's "I Saw The Light" featuring The Dirty Dozen Brass Band. Other highlights include a reading of Dylan's "Gotta Serve Somebody," (whose original version also featured Beckett.), a goosebump-inducing "Ava Maria," and a picture-perfect "A Change Is Gonna Come.

Track Listings
1. Steer Me Right
2. Jesus, Jesus, Jesus
3. I Believe
4. If I Had A Hammer
5. Gotta Serve Somebody
6. Oh Happy Day
7. Ave Maria
8. Let Go
9. What A Friend We Have In Jesus
10. A Change Is Gonna Come
11. I Saw The Light (featuring The Dirty Dozen Brass Band)
12. Going Home
13. Amazing Grace
14. With God On Our Side (Bonus Track)

Personnel: Aaron Neville (vocals); Wardell Quezengue (conductor); Blue Miller (acoustic guitar); Dean Parks, Shane Theriot (electric guitar); Judith Armistead, Burton Callahan (violin); Lauren Lemmier, Richard Woehrle (viola); Jonathan Gerhardt (cello); Jim Horn (alto saxophone, baritone saxophone); Sam Levine (tenor saxophone); Steve patrick (trumpet, flugelhorn); Chris Dunn (trombone); The Dirty Dozen Brass Band (horns); John Jarvis (piano, keyboards); Jim Cox (Wurlitzer piano, Hammond B-3 organ); Michael Rhodes (bass); Eddie Bayers (drums); Mark Beckett (percussion); Alvin Chea, Jim Gilstrap, Phil Perry, Darryl Phinnessee, Maxi Anderson, Alex Brown, Jacquelyn Gouche, Sandtown Childrens Choir (background vocals).

5149Y9AH32L.jpg

He Touched Me - The Gospel Music of: -- 2 CD Set

Elvis Presley

1999/2005 Sony-Coming Home Music

Essential Elvis Gospel, May 12, 2005
By Thomas A. Penny (Ellicott City, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

This review is from: He Touched Me: The Gospel Music of Elvis Presley (Audio CD)
This is truly a superior Elvis Gospel Anthology. Everything you could want is here on two discs. But what sets it apart is on Disc 2. Tracks 5-9 are recordings of Elvis around the piano with, probably, the Stamps, casually singing gospel as he was so fond of doing after shows late into the wee hours of the morning. It is breathtaking. For true Elvis fans, or fans of great Southern Gospel, this is a must have for your collection.

Track Listings

Disc: 1

1. Crying In The Chapel
2. His Hand In Mine
3. Joshua Fit The Battle
4. So High
5. If We Never Meet Again
6. Milky White Way
7. Stand By Me
8. Somebody Bigger Than You And I
9. I Believe In The Man
10. In The Garden
11. Mansion Over The Hilltop
12. Farther Along
13. Where No One Stands Alone
14. I'm Gonna Walk Dem Golden Stairs
15. Without Him
16. Working On The Building
17. You'll Never Walk Alone
18. Swing Down Sweet Chariot
19. Where Could I Go But The Lord
20. In The Ghetto

Disc: 2

1. (There'll Be) Peace In The Valley (For Me)
2. I Believe
3. Take My Hand, Precious Lord
4. It Is No Secret (What God Can Do)
5. I, John
6. Bosom If Abraham
7. You Better Run
8. Lead Me, Guide Me/Turn Your Eyes Upon jesus/Nearer My God To Thee
9. He Touched Me
10. I've Got Confidence
11. Amazing Grace
12. A Thing Called Love
13. A Thing Called Love
14. Put Your Hand In The Hand
15. Reach Out To Jesus
16. If That Isn't Love
17. Bridge Over Troubled Water
18. An American Trilogy
19. Why Me Lord
20. How Great Thou Art

be05c060ada0889d20a78110.L.jpg

Funky Gene's -- CD

The Gene Harris Quartet

1994 Concord Records

All of Gene Harris' recordings for the Concord label in the 1990s are easily recommended, and this one is no exception. The Harris quartet (with the fine guitarist Ron Eschete, bassist Luther Hughes, and drummer Paul Humphrey) digs into such material as "The Trouble With Hello Is Goodbye," "Everything Happens to Me," "Nice 'n' Easy," "Bye Bye Blues," and Chuck Mangione's "Children of Sanchez," turning everything into a blues-oriented groove. Harris was always in his prime on piano (mixing together Oscar Peterson and the boogie-woogie greats with his own brand of soul) and this quartet was a perfect setting for him. Another fine effort. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Blues for Basie
2. The Trouble With Hello Is Goodbye
3. Old Funky Gene's
4. Everything Happens to Me
5. Nice 'n' Easy
6. Ahmad's Blues
7. Bye Bye Blues
8. Children of Sanchez
9. Blues in Hoss' Flat

Gene Harris Quartet: Gene Harris (piano); Ron Eschete (guitar); Luther Hughes (bass); Paul Humphrey (drums).Recorded at Spirit Wind Studios, Hayward, California from May 25-27, 1994. Includes liner notes by Wayne Thompson.

b383810ae7a05010be55a110.L.jpg

New England Christmastide 2 -- OMR CD

The Christmastide Musicians

1987 MFSL (MFCD 799 Made In Japan)

Traditional Christmas Music
November 29, 2007
By Julie

This collection by Otis Read and fellow musicians is by far some of the best traditional instrumental Christmas music I've ever heard. I bought it just by chance back in 1990 for my parents and it became a family tradition. Now it's a tradition in my own family. Unlike other Christmas tunes with singing that "gets old" after the second play, I can listen to this CD over and over again and it is not repetitious. There's 20 carols altogether and all instrumental with no singing: We Three Kings, Joy to The World, Silent Night, O Come Emanuel, Angels We Have Heard on High, to name a few. A total of 14 musicians perform on a variety of instruments, among them flute, mandolin, piano, guitar, violin, cello, bass, banjo, concertina, accordion, tin whistle, vielle, hurdy-gurdy, harmonium and Irish pipes. All songs are performed in small instrumental ensembles. It's rich in traditional folk sounds. As Otis himself says on his website, "This has become a fireside, tree-trimming, gift-opening classic."

Track Listing
1. The Holly and the Ivy
2. Here We Come a-Wassailing
3. Judea
4. In Dulci Jublio
5. O Holy Night
6. The Praise Of Christmas / O Come Let Us Adore Him
7. Once in Royal David's City
8. O Little Town of Bethlehem
9. Carol of the Bells
10. The Leading Of The Stars / Christmas Eve
11. Personet Hodie
12. Christmas Day in the Morning
13. Quand Li Bergie
14. Lo How a Rose
15. The Twelve Days of Christmas
16. While Shepards Watch Their Flocks
17. O Christmas Tree
18. Lord of the Dance
19. Go Tell It on the Mountain
20. Children Where Shall I Send Thee / Jingle Bells

ab149833e7a0e2c7a14b2110.L.jpg

Have Yourself A Soulful Little Christmas -- Remastered 96/24 Bit CD \

Kenny Burrell

1966/2003 Cadet/Verve Records

Kenny Burrell: Soulful Little Christmas, December 12, 2011
ByD.R.L. (Austin, Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Have Yourself a Soulful Little Christmas (Audio CD)

~ I have a lot of Kenny Burrell CDs in my collection. I have a fair number of Christmas CDs in my collection. Having this CD that combines the two is wonderful. I had the original 1966 LP version and wore it out by playing it so many times every Christmas season. Having it on CD allows me to play and re-play it and enjoy it even more than I did in the past.
~ The arrangements by Richard Evans, Kenny, and Esmond Edwards on various tunes are outstanding - orchestra conducted by Richard Evans.
Kenny's solos are as usual tasteful, artistic, and swinging.
~ All tracks are excellent, but "Little Drummer Boy" and "My Favorite Things" are elevated to the level of being great by the arrangements and solos.
~ If you play this CD along with Jimmy Smith's Christmas Cookin' CD you will have yourself a Jazzy Little Christmas.

Track Listing
1. Little Drummer Boy, The
2. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
3. My Favorite Things
4. Away in a Manger
5. Mary's Little Boy Chile
6. White Christmas
7. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
8. Christmas Song, The
9. Go Where I Send Thee
10. Silent Night
11. Twelve Days of Christmas
12. Merry Christmas Baby

Personnel includes: Kenny Burrell (guitar); Richard Evans (arranger, conductor); Esmond Edwards (arranger), others unknown. Recorded at Ter-Mar Studios, Chicago, Illinois in October 1966. Originally released on Cadet (779). Includes liner notes by Barbara J. Gardner

:eek:ccasion-santa: ^So nice to see all the Christmas tunes Dennie!

Btw...I luv the Santa hat! I am hoping Zing will add a little holiday cheer to his avatar! :teasing-tease:

5102T240chL.jpg

The Best of Phoebe Snow -- CD

Phoebe Snow

1990 Columbia Records

Words can't describe..., May 25, 1999
By Kevin L. Humphreys (Madison, MS USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Best of Phoebe Snow (Audio CD)

If you know nothing about Phoebe's work (that would be a shame, by the way), then you should get this album. Every song is fine, and they show off all of her many musical gifts, ranging from the tender ("Two-Fisted Love", "All Over") to the barnburners ("Shaky Ground"), to ones that start off sweet and build to an incredible level of intensity ("Teach Me Tonight").

Phoebe also gave the single greatest live performance I've ever seen on the Letterman show. Some years ago (I can't remember how many) she blew the doors off everything with an awesome rendition of "Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie-Woogie Flu" (regrettably not included here, although she later rerecorded it for the album "I Can't Complain.") This woman has pipes to die for and a range you just can't believe.

So what am I saying? BUY THIS ALBUM!!

Track listing

1. Two Fisted Love
2. All Over
3. Poetry Man
4. Teach Me Tonight
5. Don't Let Me Down
6. Shakey Ground
7. Love Makes a Woman
8. Never Letting Go
9. Every Night
10. Harpo's Blues

jenkin_john_jenkinsjo_101b_zps6cad91d3.jpg

Jenkins - Jordan - Timmons -- Remastered CD

John Jenkins, Clifford Jordan, Bobby Timmons

1957/1994 Prestige/New Jazz - OJC

Four of the five selections on this CD reissue (which also includes "Tenderly") are obscure jazz originals by altoist John Jenkins, tenor saxophonist Clifford Jordan, or trombonist Julian Priester. Inspired by both Charlie Parker and Jackie McLean, Jenkins teams up with Jordan, pianist Bobby Timmons, bassist Wilbur Ware, and drummer Dannie Richmond for some bop-oriented improvising. Strange that this would be one of only two sets led by Jenkins. Although the Blue Note CD, recorded just 16 days later, gets the edge, this is an excellent effort too. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Cliff's Edge
2. Tenderly
3. Princess
4. Soft Talk
5. Blue Jay

Personnel: John Jenkins (alto saxophone); Clifford Jordan (tenor saxophone); Bobby Timmons (piano); Wilbur Ware (bass); Dannie Richmond (drums).Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on July 26, 1957. Originally released on Presitige/New Jazz (8232). Includes liner notes by Ira Gitler.Digitally remastered by Phil De Lancie (1994, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California)

CannonballampColtrane_zpsf0a14af1.jpg

Cannonball & Coltrane -- Remastered CD

Julian (Cannonball) Adderley & John Coltrane

1959/1988 Emarcy Records

This LP (whose contents have been reissued many times) features the Miles Davis Sextet of 1959 without the leader. Altoist Cannonball Adderley and tenor saxophonist John Coltrane really push each other on these six selections, with this version of "Limehouse Blues" really burning. Coltrane's very serious sound is a striking contrast to the jubilant Adderley alto; the latter is showcased on "Stars Fell on Alabama." With pianist Wynton Kelly, bassist Paul Chambers and drummer Jimmy Cobb playing up to their usual level, this gem is highly recommended. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Limehouse Blues
2. Stars Fell on Alabama
3. Wabash
4. Grand Central
5. You're a Weaver of Dreams
6. The Sleeper

Personnel: John Coltrane (tenor saxophone); Cannonball Adderley (alto saxophone); Wynton Kelly (piano); Jimmy Cobb (drums).Liner Note Author: Don Heckman.Recording information: Universal Recording Studios, Chicago, IL (02/03/1959).

71uyP7GTtrL.jpg

Pete Fountain's New Orleans -- CD

Pete Fountain

1959/1993 Coral/MCA Records

This album is an excellent showcase for Pete Fountain in his early days. The clarinetist (who is the only horn in a quartet with pianist Stan Wrightsman, bassist Morty Corb, and drummer Jack Sperling) sounds typically enthusiastic on the Dixieland warhorses, turning "The Saints" into a march and coming up with fresh things to say on such songs as "Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans," "Basin Street Blues," and "Tin Roof Blues." ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. While We Danced at the Mardi Gras
2. A Closer Walk With Thee
3. When the Saints Come Marching In March
4. When It's Sleepy Time Down South
5. Ol' Man River
6. Cotton Fields
7. Sweethearts on Parade
8. Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans?
9. Basin Street Blues
10. Lazy River
11. Way Down Yonder in New Orleans
12. Tin Roof Blues

Today's work truck music...

015c4310fca0d49b3d649010.L.jpg

Shooting Rubber Bands At The Stars -- CD

Edie Brickell & New Bohemians

1988 Geffen Records

Still My Favorite Group, November 17, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Shooting Rubberbands At The Stars (Audio CD)

Just buy this c.d. Until you hear it for yourself, there is nothing more I can say about it that will do justice to the lyrical and musical quality of Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians' songs. If you haven't heard other material by this group, check out "Ghost of a Dog," and (Edie solo) "Picture Perfect Morning." They are equally stellar accomplishments despite the lack of media attention. Go to bodyofwater.com/edie and post messages on the board to let the band know that their fans are still out here!

1. "What I Am" Edie Brickell, Kenny Withrow 4:54
2. "Little Miss S." Brickell, Withrow, Brad Houser, Brandon Aly, John Bush 3:37
3. "Air of December" Brickell, Withrow, Houser, Aly, Bush 5:54
4. "The Wheel" Brickell, Withrow, Houser, Aly, Bush 3:53
5. "Love Like We Do" Brickell 3:13
6. "Circle" Brickell, Withrow 3:11
7. "Beat the Time" Brickell, Withrow 2:58
8. "She" Brickell, Withrow, Houser, Aly, Bush 5:06
9. "Nothing" Brickell, Withrow 4:49
10. "Now" Brickell, Withrow, Houser, Aly, Bush 6:00
11. "Keep Coming Back" Brickell 2:42
12. "I Do" (Hidden track) Brickell 2:00

RIP Jim Hall....

51TJDA7fwNL._SS400_.jpg

By Arrangement -- 20 BitCD

Jim Hall

1998 Telarc Jazz

Long acclaimed for his understated lyrical approach to the guitar, Jim Hall's diverse arrangements on this CD are also first-class. His dazzling arrangement of John Lewis' "Django" features Hall with Pat Metheny, with both men on acoustic instruments for a change, accompanied only by drummer Terry Clarke and the occasional pizzicato accents of a 12-piece string section (violas and cellos!). Rarely has Gordon Jenkins' "Goodbye" been given such a fresh treatment; the brisk bossa nova rhythm, Joe Lovano's switch from clarinet to soprano sax midway in the piece, and Hall's interplay with Lovano and the strings, plus the dramatic sudden slowdown in tempo at the conclusion, make it stand out from the many recordings of this standard. The New York Voices provide a nice backdrop for Hall's solo on "Waltz for Debby," while Paul Desmond's rarely heard "Wendy" features the leader with the brilliant flugelhornist Tom Harrell, backed by a brass section. Hall's originals also merit praise: his lovely "October Song" has just a touch of melancholy with a fine viola solo backed by the strings following his solo introduction, while his challenging "Art Song" is a playful waltz. ~ Ken Dryden

Track Listing
1. Django
2. Waltz for Debby
3. Ruby, My Dear
4. Goodbye
5. Art Song
6. October Song
7. Wendy
8. Wind, The
9. Whisper Not

cbd78149e7a0bab9b17ed110.L.jpg

Christmas -- CD

Helen Reddy

2001 EMI/Capitol Spec. Products

Helen Reddy Delivers a Wonderful Time for Christmas July 21, 2004
By Bill Egan

Helen Reddy's "Christmas" CD is filled with some delightful all-American wintertime favorites including "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year," Leroy Anderson's "Sleigh Ride," "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," and "Jingle Bells." Her wistful rendition of "I'll Be Home for Christmas" makes you want to extend Christmas dinner invitations to all your friends who are far from home and family and her cover of "The Christmas Song" almost give off the essence of those chestnuts roasting o'er the fire.

In addition to her crystalline voice on the "Christmas" CD, one should appreciate Helen Reddy's wonderful diction that allows listeners to understand and savor every word. An uncredited children's choir joins her in some of the spirited selections, but this Australian native is at her best on this album when she sings softly without the overproduced orchestrations that one hears on many holiday CDs.

"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," introduced in a 1944 film by Judy Garland, has been given a new brand new 21st century life with this glittering, yet bluesy Reddy rendition. It's as if you're at an intimate gathering where she's sharing her Christmas thoughts with a cherished group of friends.

Now that Helen Reddy has delivered a scintillating album of all-American Christmas favorites, it's time for her to send her fans a selection of Australian Christmas carols. Let's hope Santa will help her deliver this at some time in the future.

Track Listing
1. The Best Christmas Ever: The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year
2. Deck the Halls
3. The Christmas of Your Life
4. I'll Be Home For Christmas
5. The Christmas Song
6. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
7. Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer
8. Christmas Auld Lang Syne

61bRCICyWDL.jpg

Concierto -- SBM - CD

Jim Hall

1975/2008 CTI Legacy Records

Hall, Desmond, Baker = awesome., February 23, 2009
By Richard D. Guba "tenor sax man" (Annapolis MD) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Concierto (Audio CD)

This is a great album. Chet Baker is really good and with his reputation for excessive behavior it is more remarkable. Chet is on his game as is Desmond. Jim Hall is good as expected, but it is the ensemble work with the 2 horn players that makes this exceptional. I like this album much more than Bill Evans' Interplay which is also an ensemble album with Jim Hall. Stereophile magazine has used this album to test speakers and I understand why. It is well recorded and has fine performances. I recommend higly for any fan of Paul Desmond who would like to hear Paul in a group other than the Brubeck quartet. That being said, this is a Jim Hall feature and he is also in great but understated form.

"You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To" (Porter) – 7:08
"Two's Blues" (Hall) – 3:51
"The Answer Is Yes" (Hall) – 7:41
"Concierto de Aranjuez" (Rodrigo) – 19:22

Bonus tracks on CD reissue:

"Rock Skippin'" (Ellington, Strayhorn) – 6:14
"Unfinished Business" (Andrews, Carter, Chavez, Hall, Von Roth) – 4:42
"You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To" [Alternate Take] - 7:28
"The Answer Is Yes" [Alternate Take] - 5:36
"Rock Skippin" [Alternate Take] - 6:05

Tracks 2, 8 recorded on April 16, 1975; tracks 1, 3, 4, 7 on April 23, 1975.

61fc511VxfL.jpg

The Best of..... -- Remastered CD

Miles Davis & Gil Evans

1997 Columbia Legacy

Despite the daunting prospect of editing the six-CD collection of the complete 1957-63 studio works of Davis and Evans into a one-hour sampler, the compilers chose wisely. Nine of the 12 selections are familiar master takes of classic Davis-Evans works. Five are from the duo's biggest popular success, 1958's PORGY AND BESS, three are orchestral tracks from 1957's MILES AHEAD and the stunning 16-minute interpretation of the Adagio movement of Joaquin Rodrigo's "Concierto de Aranjuez" from 1960's SKETCHES OF SPAIN sparkles like a jewel.These well-known pieces sound brand new, thanks to a brilliant remastering job. The last three cuts whet the appetites of those intrigued by the box set's hours of outtakes and rarities: alternate takes of "Wait Till You See Her" and "Corcovado" from 1962's QUIET NIGHTS, as well as an excerpt from Davis and Evans' masterful but rarely-heard score for the 1963 play "The Time of the Barracudas." This is essential music.

Track Listing
1. My Ship
2. Miles Ahead
3. Blues for Pablo
4. Gone
5. My Man's Gone Now
6. It Ain't Necessarily So
7. Summertime
8. Porgy I Loves You
9. Concierto de Aranjuez (Adagio)
10. Wait Till You See Her
11. Corcovado
12. Time of the Barracudas - (excerpt)

All tracks on this album come from the six-CD MILES DAVIS & GIL EVANS: THE COMPLETE COLUMBIA STUDIO RECORDINGS box set on Columbia (67397).

Personnel includes: Miles Davis (trumpet, flugelhorn); Gil Evans (arranger, conductor); Steve Lacy (soprano saxophone); Lee Konitz, Cannonball Adderley (alto saxophone); Bernie Glow, Ernie Royal, Louis Mucci, Taft Jordan, Johnny Carisi, Johnny Coles (trumpet); Frank Rehak, Jimmy Cleveland, Joe Bennett (trombone); Tom Mitchell, Dick Hixon (bass trombone); Willie Ruff, Tony Miranda, Julius Watkins, Gunther Schuller, Earl Chapin (French horn); Bill Barber (tuba); Romeo Penque, Phil Bodner, Jerome Richardson, Sid Cooper, Eddie Caine, Danny Bank, Jack Knitzer, Bob Tricarico, Garvin Bushell (woodwinds); Janet Putnam (harp); Wynton Kelly, Herbie Hancock (piano); Paul Chambers (bass); Arthur Taylor, Philly Joe Jones, Jimmy Cobb (drums); Elvin Jones (percussion).Producers: George Avakian, Cal Lampley, Teo Macero, Irving Townsend.Compilation producer: Michael Cuscuna.Engineers: Harold Chapman, Fred Plaut, Frank Laico, R.G.Recorded at 30th Street Studio, New York, New York and Columbia Stuios, Hollywood, California between May 1957 and October 1963. Includes liner notes by Bill Kirchner.

Back