• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Happy Sunday everyone..... :banana-dance:

61tcH5uB8AL.jpg

Lester Young Trio -- Remastered CD

1946/1994 Verve Records

Lester Young's significance in jazz is not hard to gauge. His playing influenced almost every saxophonist that came after him. On this release, we hear Young teamed up with two other jazz legends, drummer Buddy Rich and Nat "King" Cole on piano. Following 10 tracks by this unique trio, we are treated to four additional tunes as performed by a sextet led by Young.The trio portion of this album is especially lush and intriguing, featuring wonderful renditions of Young's original, "Back to the Land," Gershwin's "The Man I Love," and a duet version of the gorgeous ballad, "Peg O' My Heart" (Rich had gone out to get something to eat). Cole's intimate piano style wonderfully complements Young's light, airy tone and unorthodox phrasing, and Rich, known for a flashy approach, plays quite sensitively here, using brushes on most tunes. Highlights on LESTER YOUNG TRIO include "I Want To Be Happy" and "I've Found a New Baby," the latter of which features the sextet in swinging form.

The Lester Young Trio

LP side A

"I Cover the Waterfront" (Green, Heyman) – 4:05
"Somebody Loves Me" (MacDonald, DeSylva, Gershwin) – 3:54

LP side B

"I've Found a New Baby" (Palmer, Williams) – 4:07
"Back to the Land" (Young) – 4:05

The Lester Young Trio No. 2

LP side A

"I Want to Be Happy" (Caesar, Youmans) – 3:58
"Peg O' My Heart"[5] (Bryan, Fisher) – 4:06

LP side B

"Mean To Me" (Ahlert, Turk) – 4:15
"The Man I Love" (Gershwin, Gershwin) – 3:58

Bonus tracks on Verve 1994 CD re-issue

2 tracks from the original 1946 Young-Cole-Rich trio recording sessions:

"I Cover the Waterfront" (alternate take) – 3:56
"Back to the Land" (edited version) – 3:54

4 tracks from earlier Nat King Cole sessions (without Young or Rich):

"I've Found a New Baby" (Palmer, Williams) – 4:40
"Rosetta" – 5:09
"Sweet Lorraine" (Burwell, Parish) – 4:55
"Blowed and Gone" – 4:41

Personnel:

Lester Young – tenor saxophone
Buddy Rich – drums
Nat King Cole (credited as "Aye Guy" on the original releases) – piano

Personnel on 4 of the CD re-issue bonus tracks

Nat "King" Cole – piano
Harry "Sweets" Edison – trumpet
Dexter Gordon – tenor saxophone
Clifford Owens – drums
Red Callender or Johnny Miller – bass

5a28c0a398a00e8545ac2210.L.jpg

Oscar In Paris - Live at the Salle Pleyel -- 2 - 20 Bit CD Set

Oscar Peterson

1997 Telarc Jazz

Just Incredible August 27, 2003
By Jeff Phillips
Format:Audio CD

I have collected over 100 Peterson recordings and this has to be my favorite. First of all, this CD was recorded AFTER his stroke. In fact, I have played this CD for people that have no idea that they are listening to a man essentially using one hand. Oscar has limited use of his left, as I saw at the Blue Note in 1998.
The fire that he has going in this recording is truly astounding. In fact, on Sweet Georgia Brown, he plays some of the most inventive lines that I have ever heard him play on this tune. This CD is important. It shows, to an even greater extent, the true genious of Oscar Peterson. To have a health setback like that and to "come back" as he did is remarkable. This CD changed my entire practice regiment after I heard what he was able to do with what amounts to one hand. This recording was earth shattering for me. Buy this CD....you won't regret it.

Disc: 1
1. Falling In Love With Love
2. Nighttime
3. Tranquille
4. Smudge
5. Love Ballade
6. Sushi

Disc: 2
1. Kelly's Blues
2. She Has Gone
3. You Look Good To Me
4. Peace
5. Sweet Georgia Brown
6. Here's That Rainy Day/We Will Love Again
7. We Will Love Again

Dennie said:
Hey Botch, are you posting at AK now? I saw that this one was posted there last evening.

Dennie

Since I don't know what "AK" is, probably not. :think:

Obviously their members have extremely good taste; I'll have to check them out! ;)

51OjEHopqKL.jpg

From A to Z... -- Remastered CD

Al Cohn/Zoot Sims Sextet

1956/1999 RCA Victor Records

Brothers in sound and twins of swing, Al Cohn and Zoot Sims command styles that blend together well. The great Lester Young, whose tone was light and airy and whose improvisational skills were marked by even, flowing melodic lines, influenced both saxophonists. Cohn and Sims employ similarly lyrical and mellifluous phrases on FROM A TO Z. But these two tenor players add elements of bebop to the signature swing-era riffs that made Young famous.The influence of bebop can be heard on tunes such as the title track and "Sandy's Swing." The playing on these tracks is faster, with more surprises and a drier, more biting sound quality. In contrast, tracks such as "A New Moan" and "East of the Sun (and West of the Moon)" are more firmly routed in swing. Drummer Osie Johnson rides on the hi-hat, creating a relaxed bounce, while trumpeter Dick Sherman soliloquizes over the top in a soft and delicate tone. A pleasant mix of swing and bebop, FROM A TO Z finds Cohn, Sims, and company rendering graceful and elegant versions of jazz compositions that are delightful but otherwise obscure.

Track Listing:
1. Mediolistic
2. Crimea River
3. A New Moan
4. A Moment's Notice
5. My Blues
6. Sandy's Swing
7. Somebody Loves Me
8. More Bread
9. Sherm's Terms
10. From A To Z
11. East Of The Sun (And West Of The Moon)
12. Tenor For Two Please, Jack
13. My Blues Alternate Take
14. More Bread Alternate Take
15. Tenor For Two Please, Jack Alternate Take
16. Somebody Loves Me Alternate Take

This 1999 reissue contains four bonus tracks not included on the original release.Personnel: Al Cohn, Zoot Sims (tenor saxophone); Dick Sherman (trumpet); Dave McKenna, Hank Jones (piano); Milt Hinton (bass); Osie Johnson (drums).Recorded at Webster Hall, New York, New York on January 23-24, 1956.All tracks have been digitally remastered.

reckless.jpg

1. The Reckless Side Of Me
2. Good Corn Liquor
3. Where Rainbows Never Die
4. The Price
5. Can You Run
6. Peacemaker
7. You Put The Hurt On Me
8. Midnight On The Mountain
9. Guitars, Whiskey, Guns and Knives
10. Angel Of The Night
11. Higher Than The Wall
12. Ghosts Of Mississippi

2011 GRAMMY NOMINEE: BEST COUNTRY PERFORMANCE BY A DUO OR GROUP WITH VOCALS & BEST BLUEGRASS ALBUM

The SteelDrivers, the distinctive combo who uniquely meld back-country high lonesome and Delta soul, return with their much anticipated follow up to their acclaimed Rounder Records' self-titled 2008 debut. Returning to the studio with producer Luke Wooten (Alison Krauss, Jim Lauderdale and Dierks Bentley), the follow up continues to stretch the boundaries of bluegrass.

~ ~ ~ :handgestures-thumbup:

1285352441_cov.jpg

Time -- CD

Hugh Masekela

2002 Columbia Records

Since his return to South Africa in 1990, Hugh Masekela has become a national musical icon. And his music has taken on more of the flavor of his homeland, too, all of which is quite in evidence on Time. Of course, this being Masekela, he's not going to be penned into one style, as he shows on "Conchita," his bubbling celebration of Latin music, which name-checks every icon of the genre. But it's township jazz that's always been at the backbone of his sound, and it's there in his revisiting of "Part of a Whole," which he first recorded over 30 years ago. Even if it's township lite these days, more accessible than the real hardcore stuff, there's no doubt his heart is very much in the right place. He's not afraid to be political, either, touching on civil rights, dictators, and reminding people that an older generation hasn't necessarily lost touch with enjoying the pleasures of the world. From South African gospel to the slightly rougher feel of mbaqanga, and even the more contemporary kwaito (South Africa's disco-fied version of hip-hop) on "Old People, Young Folks," this album keeps its feet on the ground at home. About the only thing missing is that Masekela focuses more on his gritty, warm vocals, rather than his excellent trumpet playing. But he seems happy enough with that, and the sense of jubilation surrounding the disc glows peacefully. ~ Chris Nickson

Track Listing
1. Send Me
2. Happy Mama
3. Conchita
4. Ce Soir
5. Mamoshaba
6. Magic
7. Thimlela
8. Saduva
9. Part of a Whole
10. Change
11. Old People, Old Folks

51lz%2BUMFSEL.jpg

Turned To Blue -- CD

Nancy Wilson

2006 MCG/Telarc Records

On her follow-up to the 2005 Grammy winner (for Best Jazz Vocal Album)R.S.V.P. (Rare Songs, Very Personal), classic jazz singer Nancy Wilson takes it nice and easy. Overall, it would have been nice to get more tracks with the "All Star Big Band," which percolates beautifully on Duke Ellington's "Take Love Easy" and Vernon Duke's "Taking a Chance on Love." The joy with which Wilson surfs over these arrangements is infectious and allows the listener to overlook the occasional roughness of breathing and pitch. The rest of the album is more subdued and less winning. The title track sets Maya Angelou's poem "My Life Has Turned to Blue" to music, with soft Latin-jazz inflections punctuated by marimba (a sly nod to Angelou's own calypso recordings of the 1950s?) At the other extreme, a cover of "Just Once," a track popularized by Quincy Jones and James Ingram, veers dangerously toward Lite FM territory. It should be noted that fans of tenor-sax playing will enjoy distinct solo spots by Bob Mintzer, James Moody, Tom Scott, Andy Snitzer, and Jimmy Heath. --Elisabeth Vincentelli

Track Listing
1. This Is All I Ask
2. Take Love Easy
3. Turned to Blue
4. Knitting Class
5. Be My Love
6. Taking a Chance on Love
7. Just Once
8. These Golden Years
9. I Don't Remember Ever Growing Up
10. Old Folks
11. I'll Be Seeing You

Personnel: Nancy Wilson (vocals); Hubert Laws (flute); James Moody , Andy Snitzer, Tom Scott, Bob Mintzer (tenor saxophone); Rufus Reid (upright bass).

Today's work truck music....

51zaXiuUQvL._SS500_.jpg

Power of the Pontchartrain -- CD

Tab Benoit with Louisiana's Leroux

2007 Telarc Blues

Amazon.com

Tab Benoit's album titles leave little doubt as to where he's from or the music he plays. Brother to the Blues, Fever for the Bayou, Wetlands, and now Power of the Pontchartrain exude the sweaty Louisiana swamp, blues, and R&B inherent in their names. But that only tells part of the story--the rest is in the grooves where Benoit's distinctive, grainy voice and tough Telecaster leads bring soul, grit, and intensity to a sound already infused with an earthy sensibility. There's more of the same on this disc, but that's no criticism. Benoit generally sticks with others' songs here, yet he unearths hidden gems. Julie Miller's "Midnight and Lonesome" is dragged into the murky swamps as a driving ballad with eerie qualities that live up to its name. Miller and husband Buddy are also credited with the righteous-yet-rugged gospel of "Shelter Me." "Somebody's Got to Go," originally by Lonnie Johnson, gets a crisp, frisky makeover, and even Buffalo Springfield's crusty "For What It's Worth" takes a swim in the muddy waters of Benoit's home state, with a little help of some altered, post-Katrina lyrics. The guitarist lets his Cajun influences fly on the bouncy rhythms of "Sac-Au-Lait Fishing," the album's only original, and shifts into pleading Otis Redding mode for the aching blues ballad "I'm Guilty of Lovin' You." The Chicago-by-way-of-the-Delta shuffle of "One Foot in the Bayou" is also an apt description of Benoit's approach. He touches on a variety of Americana styles, yet always keeps part of himself planted firmly in the wetlands of his roots. --Hal Horowitz

Track Listing
1. Don't Make No Sense
2. Good to Ya, Baby
3. Shelter Me
4. Power of the Pontchartrain
5. For What It's Worth
6. Midnight and Lonesome
7. Sac-au-Lait Fishing
8. Somebody's Got to Go
9. I'm Guilty of Lovin' You
10. Addicted
11. One Foot in the Bayou

51tBlAd1aSL.jpg

All Mornin' Long -- Remastered CD

The Red Garland Quintet

1957/1987 Prestige/OJC Records

On November 15, 1957, a quintet headed by pianist Red Garland recorded enough material for two records. This CD reissue (whose companion is Soul Junction) has a 20-minute version of "All Mornin' Long," along with briefer renditions of "They Can't Take That Away from Me" (a mere ten minutes) and Tadd Dameron's "Our Delight." More important than the material is that, in addition to Garland, the main soloists are John Coltrane and trumpeter Donald Byrd. Byrd was on his way to getting his sound together, while Trane, very much in his sheets-of-sound period, was already blazing a new path for jazz to follow. An excellent and often quite colorful jam session-flavored hard bop set. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. All Mornin' Long
2. They Can't Take That Away From Me
3. Our Delight

Originally released on Prestige (7130). Includes liner notes by Ira Gitler.Personnel: Red Garland (piano); John Coltrane (tenor saxophone); DonaldByrd (trumpet); George Joyner (bass); Art Taylor (drums).Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on November 15, 1957. Includes liner notes by Ira Gitler.Digitally remastered using 20-bit K2 Super Coding System technology.

From the album notes:

Correctly Balanced Stereo Equipment will have Jimmy McGriff and O'Donel Levy on the Left Speaker and "Groove" Holmes and Mark Elf on the Right Speaker.

51mCItR0vWL.jpg

Giants of The Organ In Concert -- Remastered CD

Jimmy McGriff & Richard Holmes

1973/2009 LRC Records

The sound quality is fine - BUY IT!!! December 11, 2011
By Brian Kwolek
Format:MP3 Music|Amazon Verified Purchase
I don't normally review music here, but in this case, I need to get this off my chest... I downloaded the MP3 version of this album after nearly a year of avoiding spending money on what has been reviewed here as a poorly engineered, muddy, noisy, just gawd-awful recording that brings shame to these great musicians. Let me tell you - DON'T BELIEVE THESE AUDIOFOOL REVIEWS!!! THIS ALBUM GROOVES!!! I've listened to this album in the living room, in the bedroom, on my computer and in my car. I am listening to this album as I write this. I can't find anything wrong with this album. My only regret is that I've missed nearly a year of audio pleasure because I believed these reviews! Look people, THIS ALBUM IS REDORDED LIVE, IN CONCERT, THE WAY MUSIC WAS MEANT TO BE ENJOYED. Do everyone a favor - put your gold-plated headphones down, leave your ego in your Barcalounger, and go to the nearest club. Listen. Enjoy. Buy artist's album. Enjoy more. Repeat next week. The only other thing I ask is that you people quit leaving out-of-context, uptight reviews in order to prove what great music afficionados you are.

Track Listing
1. The Preacher's Tune
2. Bean's
3. Mozambique
4. Closing Theme
5. Brown Bread
6. Talk to Me
7. Boston Whaler
8. Chopper

Happy New Year everyone..... :text-welcomeconfetti:

Billie-Holiday-Lady-in-Satin_zps8335f703.jpg

Lady In Satin -- Remastered 20Bit CD

Billie Holiday with Ray Ellis and His Orchestra

1958/1997 Columbia Legacy

This was her penultimate album, recorded when her body was telling her enough was enough. During the sessions with arranger Ray Ellis she was drinking vodka neat, as if it were tap water. Yet, for all her ravaged voice (the sweetness had long gone) she was still an incredible singer. The feeling and tension she manages to put into almost every track sets this album as one of her finest achievements. 'You've Changed' and 'I Get Along Without You Very Well' are high art performances from the singer who saw life from the bottom upwards. The CD reissue masterminded by Phil Shaap is absolutely indispensable.

Track Listing
1. I'm a Fool to Want You - (edited master)
2. For Heaven's Sake
3. You Don't Know What Love Is
4. I Get Along Without You Very Well
5. For All We Know
6. Violets for Your Furs
7. You've Changed
8. It's Easy to Remember
9. But Beautiful
10. Glad to Be Unhappy
11. I'll Be Around
12. End of a Love Affair, The - (instrumental track & overdub take 8, mono)
13. I'm a Fool to Want You - (previously unreleased, Take 3, bonus track)
14. I'm a Fool to Want You - (previously unreleased, alternate take, alternate take 2, bonus track)
15. End of a Love Affair: The Audio Story, The - (previously unreleased, bonus track)
16. End of a Love Affair, The - (previously unreleased, stereo, bonus track)
17. [Pause Track]

Personnel includes: Billie Holiday (vocals); Ray Ellis (conductor); Mel Davis (trumpet); Urbie Green, J.J. Johnson, Tom Mitchell (trombone); Danny Bank, Phil Bodner, Romeo Penque (woodwinds); George Ockner (violin); David Sawyer (cello); Janet Putnam (harp); Mal Waldron (piano); Barry Galbraith (guitar); Milt Hinton (bass); Osie Johnson (drums); Phil Kraus (percussion).Recorded in New York, New York from February 19-21, 1958. Originally released on Columbia (1157). Includes liner notes by Irving Townsend, Ray Ellis and Phil Schaap.

51xj81C9vHL._SS500_.jpg

Young Lions & Old Tigers -- 20 Bit CD

Dave Brubeck with Special Guests

1995 Telarc Jazz

To celebrate his 75th birthday, Dave Brubeck recorded one number apiece with quite a variety of top jazz stars, both young and old. Some of the performances (which alternate duets with quartets) work better than others (eight are recent Brubeck compositions) but all of the musicians display mutual respect, and it is obvious that the guests are all fans of the still-masterful pianist. Trumpeter Roy Hargrove plays beautifully on his lyrical feature but Jon Hendricks, who sings "How High the Moon" as a ballad, takes it at such a slow tempo as to be dreary. Tenor-saxophonist Michael Brecker is fine on "Michael Brecker Waltz," although he sounds a bit restrained, the wittily-titled "Here Comes McBride" is a good-humored romp with bassist Christian McBride; Joe Lovano (on tenor) works well with Brubeck, and particularly memorable is the first meeting on record between Brubeck and fellow pianist George Shearing, with a chance-taking interpretation of "In Your Own Sweet Way." Joshua Redman performs fine hard bop on one song, "Together," is a well-conceived duet for baritonist Gerry Mulligan and Brubeck, James Moody plays tenor, sings, and yodels on the minor blues "Moody," Mulligan returns for the contrapuntal "Gerry-Go-Round," and, although the obscure flugelhornist Ronnie Buttacavoli sounds very out of place on his boring feature, the set closes with one of the strongest performances, a solo piano showcase for Brubeck on "Deep in a Dream." Overall, this is quite a mixed bag but, even with its occasional misses, the CD is a must for Dave Brubeck fans, because the pianist is consistently inventive throughout the unusual set. ~ Scott Yanow

Track listing

1. Roy Hargrove
2. How High the Moon
3. Michael Brecker Waltz
4. Here Comes McBride
5. Joe Lovano Tango
6. In Your Own Sweet Way
7. Joshua Redman
8. Together
9. Moody
10. Gerry-Go-Round
11. Ronnie Buttacavoli
12. Deep In a Dream

Personnel: Dave Brubeck (piano); James Moody (vocals, tenor saxophone); Jon Hendricks (vocals); Michael Brecker, Joe Lovano, Joshua Redman (tenor saxophone); Gerry Mulligan (baritone saxophone); Roy Hargrove (trumpet); Ronnie Buttacavoli (flugelhorn); George Shearing (piano); Chris Brubeck (electric bass); Christian McBride, Jack Six (bass); Randy Jones (drums).

51xvcyqvYKL.jpg

For Ellington -- Remastered CD

The Modern Jazz Quartet

1988 East West Records

The Modern Jazz Quartet: John Lewis (piano), Milt Jackson (vibraphone), Percy Heath (bass), Connie Kay (drums, percussion).Recorded at RCA Studio, New York on February 1-3, 1988.Includes liner notes by Leonard Feather.Tributee: Duke Ellington.This is a tribute album that works quite well. The Modern Jazz Quartet is heard at their best on such Duke Ellington tunes as "Rockin' in Rhythm," "Jack the Bear" and "Ko-Ko." Also quite noteworthy are their two newer pieces, John Lewis's "For Ellington" and Milt Jackson's "Maestro E.K.E." which perfectly capture the spirit of Ellington's music. The ballads sometimes get a little sleepy but on a whole this is a very enjoyable release. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. For Ellington
2. Jack the Bear
3. Prelude to a Kiss
4. It Don't Mean a Thing
5. Ko-Ko
6. Maestro E.K.E.
7. Sepia Panorama
8. Rockin' in Rhythm
9. Come Sunday - (bonus track)

The Modern Jazz Quartet: John Lewis (piano), Milt Jackson (vibraphone), Percy Heath (bass), Connie Kay (drums, percussion).Recorded at RCA Studio, New York on February 1-3, 1988.Includes liner notes by Leonard Feather.Tributee: Duke Ellington.

Back