• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

290481b0c8a0ab609a4b9110.L.jpg

The Pizza Tapes -- Remastered HDCD

Jerry Garcia - David Grisman - Tony Rice

2000 Acoustic Disc

The setting is February 1993, at mandolinist David Grisman's Dawg Studios in Northern California. Grisman has gathered Jerry Garcia and newgrass guitar wizard Tony Rice for an informal jam session, bringing the two pickers together for the first time. Soon thereafter, a local pizza delivery boy pilfers a cassette of mixes left out on Garcia's kitchen counter... and so begins the years-long, bootlegged journey of the recording dubbed THE PIZZA TAPES.Unlike the popularly traded version, this official release offers excellent sound quality and editing, including some wittily-placed bits of banter. Indeed, the Garcia-Rice repartee offers a window into an offhand and intimate musical encounter in a very specific time and place. The chosen material evidences Garcia's late-'80s/early-'90s revisiting of the American folk and bluegrass songbook. Doc Watson's "Shady Grove" opens with copious space-noodling before yielding to a hot-blooded jaunt rife with quick-picking. The three continue their spirited improv duel as they delve loosely into the jazz songbook with George Gershwin's "Summertime" and Miles Davis' classic modal vehicle, "So What." Favorite spirituals such as "Drifting Too Far From the Shore" and "Amazing Grace" take on a special, bittersweet overtone as sung by an ailing Jerry, while the summery "Rosalee McFall" is as sweet as ever.

Track Listing
1. Appetizer
2. Man of Constant Sorrow
3. Appetizer
4. Louis Collins
5. Shady Jam
6. Shady Grove
7. Always Late
8. Guitar Space / Summertime
9. Appetizer
10. Long Black Veil
11. Rosalee McFall
12. Appetizer
13. Drifting Too Far From the Shore
14. Amazing Grace
15. Little Sadie
16. Knockin' on Heaven's Door
17. Space Jam
18. So What
19. Appetizer
20. The House of the Rising Sun

Personnel: Jerry Garcia (vocals, guitar); Tony Rice (guitar); David Grisman (mandolin).Recorded at Dawg Studios, Mill Valley, California on February 4 & 5, 1993. Includes liner notes by David Grisman and Tony Rice.All tracks have been digitally mastered using HDCD technology.

92d981b0c8a04bd5039ac110.L.jpg

Garcia & Grisman -- CD

Jerry Garcia & David Grisman

1991 Acoustic Disc

Perfect!, February 15, 2002
By J. Sutherland "zeppfan" (Southport, North Carolina United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Grisman & Garcia (Audio CD)

This album was recorded in the spring of 1991. I have never heard Grisman and Garcia sound as good as they do on this cd. Garcia's picking and singing is tasteful. Garcia's picking on this album are much more inspired and timely than on So What. As for Grisman his soloing on Friend of the devil is the best mandolin solo I've ever heard. And I'ver heard many. This version of Friend of the devil is the BEST I've ever heard because everything is perfect about the song.

Garcia's voice on that track and throughout the whole album is yearning and soulful. The song also has a slower and more longing sound to it. This album is composed of an eclectic mix of songs that include: celtic, blues, the dead, southern bluegrass, I guess what you would call "russian music", spanish music, and original grisman garcia compositions.

The mix is perfect there's something of everything and somehow it all fits together seamlessly. It starts off with a BB King tune and then goes into a wonderful celtic sounding Grisman composition. Then a "real" Irish/Celtic song that sounds sad if you listen to the words. Then, of course, the best version of Friend of the devil ever. With Garcia's desperate voice and Grisman's sweet mandolin tremolos reflecting Garcia's feeling. Then a nice russian lullaby that reminds of a cold winter night. Then another Grisman composition that shows how great of guitar player Garcia can be. Then perhaps my favourite track "walkin' boss" comes next. It starts out with a great introduction then goes into the verse and chorus. It ends with both Grisman and Garcia soloing at the same time and somehow sounding like they are reading eacother's minds because they are totally synchronous throughout the entire song. Grisman makes use of the harmonics on his mandolin to great effect on this one. Track 8 is a nice bluesy southern song about being bored. The last track is a composition by Grisman that is underrated in my opinion. Some have said it's different that all the other tracks on this album, but I say it's the culmination of all the previous tracks. Arabia has everything that all the other tracks had except for Garcia's passionate voice. It's a spanish-flavoured song that is definitely worth listening to all the way through. There are bass, guitar, mandolin, and conga solos in it.

This album is PERFECT. If you took anything away it would be less than, so do yourself a favour and hear two of our greatest musicians in their finest hour. Total time 58+ minutes.

"The Thrill is Gone" (Hawkins, Darnell)
"Grateful Dawg" (Garcia, Grisman)
"Two Soldiers" (traditional)
"Friend of the Devil" (Garcia, Hunter, Dawson)
"Russian Lullaby" (Berlin)
"Dawg's Waltz" (Grisman)
"Walkin' Boss" (traditional)
"Rockin' Chair" (Carmichael)
"Arabia" (Grisman; middle part based on the Cuban folk theme "Hasta Siempre")

Today's work truck music...

a42a828fd7a03094c60d2110.L.jpg

A Decade of Steely Dan -- CD

Steely Dan

1996 MCA Records

Amazon.com

The notion of a Steely Dan greatest-hits collection is suspect at best, if only because their biggest public successes ("Reelin' in the Years" from Can't Buy a Thrill, Prezel Logic's "Rikki Don't Lose That Number," and Aja's "Peg") are also in many ways their least typical. Indeed, after the craft-conscious Thrill, the duo of Walter Becker and Donald Fagen showed an almost perverse penchant for swimming against the prevailing pop current, despite the protestations of numbskull critics who Didn't Get It in a big way. That said, here's the duo's best-known public works and radio fodder (including all of the above), a sampler that will satisfy the hit-hungry and tempt the less acquainted to sample B&F's more colorful musical adventures. --Jerry McCulley

1. "FM (No Static At All)" – 4:50 (from the movie FM)
2. "Black Friday" – 3:33
3. "Babylon Sisters" – 5:51
4. "Deacon Blues" – 7:26
5. "Bodhisattva" – 5:16
6. "Hey Nineteen" – 5:06
7. "Do It Again" – 5:56
8. "Peg" – 3:58
9. "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" – 4:30
10. "Reelin' In the Years" – 4:35
11. "East St. Louis Toodle-oo" (Duke Ellington and Bubber Miley) – 2:45
12. "Kid Charlemagne" – 4:38
13. "My Old School" – 4:46
14. "Bad Sneakers" – 3:16

51yRq6m7o4L.jpg

Telarc ~ 2005

1. From The Dust
2. One Way Down
3. The Gate
4. David Had The Blues
5. Big As Texas
6. High Water Everywhere
7. I Be Bound
8. Stones In My Passway
9. Dry Spell Blues
10. Fargo Baby
11. Runaway Dog
12. Take A Train
13. Remember
14. Unprecedented Quiet

ef35b2c008a0d8ec71bb7010.L.jpg

Jazz -- CD

Ry Cooder

1978/1990 Warner Bros. Records

JAZZ focuses on early ragtime and vaudeville traditions of American jazz. 3 songs ("In A Mist", "Flashes" and "Davenport Blues") are tributes to the legendary cornetist Bix Beiderbecke. Also included are gospel standards and a Jelly Roll Morton medley.Beginning with his self-titled debut in 1970, Ry Cooder's records seemed to be as much history lesson as they were entertainment. Not because Cooder was trying to club you over the head with this stuff; he simply gravitated to great songs, no matter what the era or genre. Released in 1978, Jazz seems to be his first conscious attempt at a concept album, in the historical sense. Here he pays homage to some of the early tunes and masters of jazz, ranging from the late 1800s through the "coon songs" of the early part of the next century, to the ragtime and "Spanish" music of Jelly Roll Morton, and the sophistication of cornetist Bix Beiderbecke. The only living artist (at the time of release) who's represented here is the great Bahamian guitarist Joseph Spence, who recorded from the '50s through the '80s, and whose syncopated style was extremely influential in Cooder's own development as a guitarist. Spence's sacred songs are presented here in string and brass band arrangements that emphasize the Caribbean connection between his music and Morton's habaniera pieces. The complexity of the material on Jazz, as well as the arrangements by Joseph Byrd, dictate that this is Cooder's most polished and orchestrated effort to date. Whereas in the past, even at their most removed, Cooder's records usually kept at least one foot in rock & roll or blues, Jazz can, at times, lack some of that fire and be almost bookish in its approach. Still, there is enough excitement in the music's intricacies and Cooder's beautiful, fluid playing to forgive the politeness of some of the performances. From the informative liner notes by Ry Cooder himself to the brilliant compositions, Jazz is, at the very least, educational. But, a little time spent with this music and you'll see why it was and continues to be relevant, as well as beloved. ~ Brett Hartenbach

Track Listing
1. Big Bad Bill Is Sweet William Now
2. Face to Face That I Shall Meet Him
3. The Pearls / Tia Juana
4. The Dream
5. Happy Meeting in Glory
6. In a Mist
7. Flashes
8. Davenport Blues
9. Shine
10. Nobody
11. We Shall Be Happy

Personnel: Ry Cooder (vocals, guitars, mandola, tiple, harp); Jimmy Adams, Bill Johnson, Simon Pico Payne, Cliff Givens (vocals); David Lindley (mandobanjo, mandolin); Willie Schwartz, David Sherr (clarinet); Harvey Pittel (clarinet, alto saxophone); Pat Rizzo (alto saxophone); Bill Hood (bass saxophone); Mario Guarneri, Oscar Brashear (cornets); George Bohanon (baritone horn, trombone); Randy Aldcroft (trombone); Red Callender (tuba); John Rodby (piano); Barbara Starkey (pump organ); Tom Collier (marimba, vibraphone); Stuart Brotman (cymbalum); Chuck Domanico, Chuck Berghoffer, Tom Pedrini (bass); Mark Stevens (drums, percussion).

a587810ae7a02e3f75d0b110.L.jpg

Blues From Kansas City -- Remastered CD

Jay McShann Orchestra featuring Charlie Parker and Walter Brown

1992 Decca/GRP Records

This CD surpasses all former collections of pianist Jay McShann's early recordings, for it is comprised of every commercial side made by McShann during 1941-1943, including 11 delightful, if rarely heard, trio and quartet numbers (featuring McShann, bassist Gene Ramey, and drummer Gus Johnson), along with four lesser-known vocals by the limited but talented Walter Brown that are normally skipped. The result is as complete a musical picture of Jay McShann's early piano style and his orchestra (at least how they sounded in the studios) as is possible. Altoist Charlie Parker has five influential if brief solos (best is "Sepian Bounce") and trumpeters Orville Minor and Buddy Anderson, altoist John Jackson, and Paul Quinichette on tenor also have their spots. However, McShann is clearly the main star of this definitive set by the last of the great Kansas City swing big bands. Highly recommended. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Swingmatism
2. Hootie Blues
3. Vine Street Boogie
4. Confessin' the Blues
5. One Woman's Man
6. New Confessin' the Blues - (bonus track)
7. Jumpin' Blues, The
8. Hometown Blues

Full title: Blues From Kansas City - Featuring Charlie Parker & Walter Brown.Personnel includes: Jay McShann (piano), Walter Brown (vocals), Charlie Parker (alto saxophone), Buddy Anderson (trumpet), Al Hibbler.

512TXR9XBPL.jpg

All In One Day -- 24/96 DVD-A

Lorna Hunt

1998 Classic Records DAD 1015

A original Classic Records production. A fresh voice reminiscent of Rickie Lee Jones that grabbed our attention in 1998. A unique singer and songwriter with a steam of consciousness way of story telling that casts a spell from track to track. Recorded live to 2-track analog at the ambient Lompoc Theater by Paul duGre’ (Leo Kottke, Dave Alvin, Los Lobos), Lorna’s voice and guitar is back by Danny Frankel on percussion, Greg Liesz and pedal steel, electric guitar, mandolin and weisnborn, Dave Jackson an accordion and Dave Pilch playing bass. The photography is by legendary lens man William Claxton.

Tracklist
1 Long Hard Road
2 Crazy Mary
3 All In One Day
4 Trying Not To Blink
5 Piece Of My Heart
6 Powdered Diamonds
7 WinterTime Cowboy
8 Cut Glass Flowers
9 Don't Forget Me
10 Whipping Post
11 How Long
12 Love Sick
13 She Rises
14 Any One Like You

Babs said:
diana_krall_live_in_paris.jpg

I think 'The Chairman of the Board' would be proud!!!! :handgestures-thumbup:

Nice! I also think Nat "King" Cole would be proud! :handgestures-thumbup:

She often compares herself to him, as they were both Singers, who also played the piano. :eusa-clap:

Dennie :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Trampled-Under-Foot%E2%80%99s-New-CD-Badlands-Featuring-Bassist-Danielle-Schnebelen-2.jpg

Telarc ~ 2013

Given their upbringing, it's no wonder the siblings in Trampled Under Foot have become one of the most buzzed-about blues bands. Singer-bassist Danielle Schnebelen, singer-guitarist Nick Schnebelen and drummer Kris Schnebelen lived and breathed the blues while growing up in Kansas City, a town known for its legendary scene.

"Our dad was in bar bands but he was also recognized as a great blues guitar player," says Nick in describing the influence his father, Bob, had on his music. "He'd take us to blues jams where we'd meet some real old school artists and hear a huge cross section of roots music." His father's love of poetry also made an impact. "It led to a more intellectual style of writing and tipped us off to some techniques that made our music more dynamic."

Nick started out in an East Coast band, while his brother and sister played in separate groups in Kansas City. Catching up over the phone, they unanimously decided the time was right to join forces. "We just decided to go for it," says Nick. Danielle learned to play bass and Nick moved back home; they christened the group Trampled Under Foot. "The bonds are stronger with family, says Kris. You're more familiar with each other, that's for sure."

After several heralded self-released albums, Trampled Under Foot debuts Badlands on Telarc, a division of Concord Music Group. On Badlands, the band worked again with producer Tony Braunagel at his Ultratone Studios in California. The drummer in the Phantom Blues Band, Braunagel plays some percussion on the album and recruited veteran keyboardist Mike Finnigan (Jimi Hendrix, Taj Mahal) to play keys. Johnny Lee Schell, who also recorded the album, adds acoustic guitar to one track and Lisa Swedelund provides some additional backing vocals. John Porter mixed the final results at Independent Street Studios in New Orleans.

NeilYoungOldWays_zpsf3e27450.jpg

Old Ways -- 24k Gold CD

Neil Young

1996 MFSL Ultradisc II

"Young is countrified & having a ball"
, August 8, 2000
By J. Lovins "Mr. Jim" (Missouri-USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER) (VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Old Ways (Audio CD)

A straight ahead country album from Neil Young featuring Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings - "OLD WAYS", originally released in 1985- is traveling down the road again with a country band International Harvesters.

Guest appearances by some notables as - Bela Fleck on banjo, Hargus "Pig" Robbins on piano, Rufus Thibodeaux on fiddle, Ralph Mooney on steel guitar, Marty Stuart on mandolin and Terry McMillan on harmonica, plus his usual sidemen Ben Keith, Spooner Oldham, Tim Drummond and Karl Himmel.

This re-mastered album is pure fun, sounds better than ever. Give a listen and see if you don't agree - "OLD WAYS" is a real down-home barn-raisin' time!

Side one

"The Wayward Wind" – (Herb Newman, Stanley Lebowsky) 3:12
"Get Back to the Country" – 2:50
"Are There Any More Real Cowboys?" – 3:03
"Once an Angel" – 3:55
"Misfits" – 5:07

Side two

"California Sunset" – 2:56
"Old Ways" – 3:08
"My Boy" – 3:37
"Bound for Glory" – 5:48
"Where Is the Highway Tonight?" – 3:02

6116d627-2163-4098-aa9f-4f18bb806d8f_zps910cc012.jpg

The Hunter -- K2 Super Encoding XRCD24

Jennifer Warnes

1992 Private/Jasrac (Import Japan)

The follow-up to Jennifer Warnes' well received Leonard Cohen covers album, Famous Blue Raincoat, The Hunter finds Warnes applying her velvety voice to tunes by everyone from Todd Rundgren ("Pretending to Care") to the Waterboys ("The Whole of the Moon"). Cohen himself lends a hand too, co-writing "Way Down Deep." While Warnes began her career as a straight-ahead pop singer, she stretches her sound out on The Hunter to accommodate ballads and more rock-oriented tracks with equal aplomb. It's miles away from her early-'80s pop success with "Up Where We Belong," and definitively confirms her status as a mature, sophisticated song stylist.

Album Tracks:
1. Rock You Gently
2. Somewhere, Somebody
3. Big Noise, New York
4. True Emotion
5. Pretending To Care
6. The Whole Of The Moon
7. Lights Of Lousianne
8. Way Down Deep
9. The Hunter
10. I Can't Hide

51zTQYsht5L.jpg

Ballad Essentials -- CD

Gene Harris

2003 Concord Records

This compilation draws 11 tracks from nine Gene Harris albums recorded for Concord Records between 1989 and 1995, and what's striking is how consistent those tracks are. Working at slow tempos, Harris plus his accompanists -- ranging from piano-guitar-bass-drums quartets to a duet with tenor saxophonist Scott Hamilton ("At Last"); a trio with organist Jack McDuff and bass player Luther Hughes ("You Don't Know What Love Is"); and, finally, a solo piano piece ("Angel Eyes") -- maintain a bluesy, soulful approach that values expressive, yet precise playing. Harris usually takes the lead, though he makes a wonderful backup musician to Hamilton on the first half of "At Last" before executing a flourish and taking over for some attractive soloing even there. Like many other jazz musicians, Harris really came into his own in his maturity at Concord, and this is a good selection that demonstrates the strength of his overall catalog with the label. ~ William Ruhlmann

Track Listing
1. Sweet and Lovely
2. Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out
3. Until the Real Thing Comes Along
4. This Masquerade
5. At Last
6. Everything Happens to Me
7. Black and Blue
8. When You Wish Upon a Star
9. You Don't Know What Love Is
10. That's All
11. Angel Eyes

This is part of Concord Jazz's Ballad Essentials series.Personnel: Gene Harris (piano); Ron Eschete (guitar); Scott Hamilton (tenor saxophone); Jeff Hamilton, Jack McDuff (Hammond B-3 organ) , Paul Humphrey & the Cool Aid Chemists , Harold Jones (drums).Liner Note Author: Scott Yanow.Recording information: Capitol studios, Los Angeles, CA (03/??/1989-03/11/1995); Coast Recorders, San Francisco, CA (03/??/1989-03/11/1995); Manchester's Craftsmen's Guild, Pittsburgh, PA (03/??/1989-03/11/1995); Master Track, Hayward, CA (03/??/1989-03/11/1995); Maybeck Recital Hall, Berkley, CA (03/??/1989-03/11/1995); Spirit Wind Studios, Hayward, CA (03/??/1989-03/11/1995); The Plant Recording Studios, Sausalito, CA (03/??/1989-03/11/1995).

41S7ajLvv6L._SS400_.jpg

In His hands -- CD

Gene Harris

1997 Concord Records

The Devil's Music and the Lord's, September 28, 2000
By Tim Smith "Tim Smith" (Bonney Lake, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In His Hands (Audio CD)

Is this a jazz or gospel CD? The answer is: yes. Nothing challenging here, just some praiseworthy good times. If you have been fortunate enough to attend church meetings with keyboardists like the late (and greatly-missed) Gene Harris or Jack McDuff, then you know what much of the shouting is about at those big revival meetings. I'm a big Gene Harris fan and he was in fine form here, swinging particularly hard on "Battle Hymn of the Republic", "This Little Light of Mine" and "Will the Circle Be Unbroken." It's obvious that Gene loved and was comfortable with this music and these songs. The two biggest surprises for me (both pleasant) were "Amazing Grace" and "(Jesus Keeps Me) Near the Cross". When I first heard "Amazing Grace", I was sure it was Ray Charles. Vocalist Curtis Stigers does a beautifully soulful job on this timeless classic while Gene plays some very bluesy piano. "(Jesus Keeps Me) Near the Cross" is a duet between McDuff and Harris that brought back memories of my childhood. I was taken back to the days when I would be home from school and my mother would listen to Gospel radio all morning while she did her chores. How I would have liked to have heard Gene play "The Old Rugged Cross"!

When I first listened to this CD, I was slightly disappointed and nearly gave it only three stars. After a few more listens I realized, however, that the disappointment was due to my preconceived notions of what I thought the CD would be like. Once I accepted it for what Gene wanted it to be and not what I thought it would be, I grew to like it. Now, I listen to it quite often.

If you are under the impression that Gospel music is boring or that jazz can't be done reverently, give this a listen and see if maybe your opinion doesn't change.

Track listing

1. Lean On Me
2. Battle Hymn Of The Republic
3. Will The Circle Be Unbroken
4. Everyhting Must Change
5. Amazing Grace
6. Lord I've Tried
7. Jesus Keep Me Near The Cross
8. This Little Light Of Mine
9. Operator
10. His Eye Is On The Sparrow
11. He's Got The Whole World In His Hands