• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Today's work truck music...

61O-Ep4pFgL._SS500_.jpg

Abandoned Luncheonette -- CD

Daryl Hall & John Oates

1973 Atlantic Records

Best early Hall & Oates, September 11, 2000
By David Hugaert (Honolulu, HI United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Abandoned Luncheonette (Audio CD)

"Abandoned Luncheonette" features the kind of music at which Daryl & John are most adept-Philly Soul. All the songs here are excellent, with the cream of the crop being "When The Morning Comes", "Las Vegas Turnaround", "I'm Just A Kid (Don't Make Me Feel Like A Man)", the title track, "Lady Rain" and "Laughing Boy". "Everytime I Look At You" is the most soulful track on this CD, which has a "hillbilly" banjo and violin-laden instrumental at the end. This is probably as close to country that H & O ever got! This has to be the best CD in their entire catalog. Oh, and "Abandoned Luncheonette" also contains their first hit single, "She's Gone", which appeared on the Billboard charts on two separate occasions. If you are a fan of soul and/or pop music, you can't go wrong here. Please buy this CD!

"When The Morning Comes" (Daryl Hall) – 3:12
"Had I Known You Better Then" (John Oates) – 3:22
"Las Vegas Turnaround (The Stewardess Song)" (Oates) – 2:57
"She's Gone" (Hall, Oates) – 5:15
"I'm Just A Kid (Don't Make Me Feel Like A Man)" (Oates) – 3:20
"Abandoned Luncheonette" (Hall) – 3:55
"Lady Rain" (Hall, Oates) – 4:26
"Laughing Boy" (Hall) – 3:20
"Everytime I Look At You" (Hall) – 7:04

41gZgiWpQ7L.jpg

1 Send the Man Back Home
2 Moon's Goin' Down
3 Gypsie Boy
4 I've Got A Rock in My Sock
5 Foreign Lander
6 Goin' Back To The Country
7 M & O Blues
8 Lovin' Whiskey
9 Highland Overture

61tcH5uB8AL.jpg

Lester Young Trio -- Remastered CD

1946/1994 Verve Records

Lester Young's significance in jazz is not hard to gauge. His playing influenced almost every saxophonist that came after him. On this release, we hear Young teamed up with two other jazz legends, drummer Buddy Rich and Nat "King" Cole on piano. Following 10 tracks by this unique trio, we are treated to four additional tunes as performed by a sextet led by Young.The trio portion of this album is especially lush and intriguing, featuring wonderful renditions of Young's original, "Back to the Land," Gershwin's "The Man I Love," and a duet version of the gorgeous ballad, "Peg O' My Heart" (Rich had gone out to get something to eat). Cole's intimate piano style wonderfully complements Young's light, airy tone and unorthodox phrasing, and Rich, known for a flashy approach, plays quite sensitively here, using brushes on most tunes. Highlights on LESTER YOUNG TRIO include "I Want To Be Happy" and "I've Found a New Baby," the latter of which features the sextet in swinging form.

The Lester Young Trio

LP side A

"I Cover the Waterfront" (Green, Heyman) – 4:05
"Somebody Loves Me" (MacDonald, DeSylva, Gershwin) – 3:54

LP side B

"I've Found a New Baby" (Palmer, Williams) – 4:07
"Back to the Land" (Young) – 4:05

The Lester Young Trio No. 2

LP side A

"I Want to Be Happy" (Caesar, Youmans) – 3:58
"Peg O' My Heart"[5] (Bryan, Fisher) – 4:06

LP side B

"Mean To Me" (Ahlert, Turk) – 4:15
"The Man I Love" (Gershwin, Gershwin) – 3:58

Bonus tracks on Verve 1994 CD re-issue

2 tracks from the original 1946 Young-Cole-Rich trio recording sessions:

"I Cover the Waterfront" (alternate take) – 3:56
"Back to the Land" (edited version) – 3:54

4 tracks from earlier Nat King Cole sessions (without Young or Rich):

"I've Found a New Baby" (Palmer, Williams) – 4:40
"Rosetta" – 5:09
"Sweet Lorraine" (Burwell, Parish) – 4:55
"Blowed and Gone" – 4:41

Personnel:

Lester Young – tenor saxophone
Buddy Rich – drums
Nat King Cole (credited as "Aye Guy" on the original releases) – piano

Personnel on 4 of the CD re-issue bonus tracks

Nat "King" Cole – piano
Harry "Sweets" Edison – trumpet
Dexter Gordon – tenor saxophone
Clifford Owens – drums
Red Callender or Johnny Miller – bass

1a14808a8da0517ce7755110.L.png

Both Sides Now -- CD

Joni Mitchell

2000 Warner Bros. Records

A bittersweet journey of lushly orchestrated standards, April 17, 2000
By Ward J. Lamb (slate hill, new york United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Both Sides Now (Audio CD)

Here Miss Mitchell combines her love of colour in art with her whiskey coloured voice. The nuance is particularly heart felt.The songs seem tinged with pain, and poetry. The echoes of Billie Holiday( Lady in Satin) are pronounced and reverant.If ever Joni has made an effort to send someone a love letter it is to Holiday in her phrasing and smokey vocals. Her Canadian American directness is a metaphor to her artworks included within the cd cover. There is a Hopper-esque lonely solitude that pulls one into a vintage American sensibility. The cd is one that grows on you and penetrates the heart with every layer of listening. A superb rendition of "A Case of You", reminds us that Joni is a classic writer, as well as performer.This cd could have been called "The four seasons of Love".Like Leonard Cohen she sits perfectly with those that enjoy their personal torments and share the depth of the human condition with their listeners.

"You're My Thrill" (Sidney Clare, Jay Gorney) — 3:52
"At Last" (Mack Gordon, Harry Warren) — 4:28
"Comes Love" (Lew Brown, Sam H. Stept, Charles Tobias) — 4:29
"You've Changed" (Bill Carey, Carl Fischer) — 5:00
"Answer Me, My Love" (Fred Rauch, Carl Sigman, Gerhard Winkler) — 3:23
"A Case of You" (Joni Mitchell) — 5:52
"Don't Go to Strangers" (Redd Evans, Arthur Kent, David Mann) — 4:10
"Sometimes I'm Happy" (Irving Caesar, Clifford Grey, Vincent Youmans) — 3:58
"Don't Worry 'Bout Me" (Rube Bloom, Ted Koehler) —– 3:49
"Stormy Weather" (Harold Arlen, Ted Koehler) — 3:07
"I Wish I Were in Love Again" (Lorenz Hart, Richard Rodgers) — 3:36
"Both Sides, Now" (Joni Mitchell) — 5:45

Today's work truck music....

0d63225b9da00ce0b05dd010.L.jpg

Deuces Wild -- CD

B.B. King

1997 MCA Records

This is B.B.'s celebrity duet album, and a straightahead blues album this is not. But longtime fans who are aware of King's genre-stretching capabilities will find much to savor here. Kicking off with B.B. playing some beautiful fills and solo work behind Van Morrison on "If You Love Me," the superstars start lining up to jam with the King, with Tracy Chapman ("The Thrill Is Gone"), Eric Clapton (a funkified "Rock Me Baby"), the Rolling Stones ("Paying the Cost to Be the Boss," with a fine harp solo from Mick Jagger), Willie Nelson (his "Nightlife," long a standard in B.B.'s set list), Bonnie Raitt ("Baby I Love You") and Marty Stuart ("Confessin' the Blues") all turning in fine efforts.

1. If You Love Me - (with Van Morrison)

2. Thrill Is Gone, The - (with Tracy Chapman)

3. Rock Me Baby - (with Eric Clapton)

4. Please Send Me Someone to Love - (with Mick Hucknall)

5. Baby I Love You - (with Bonnie Raitt)

6. Ain't Nobody Home - (with D'Angelo)

7. There Must Be a Better World Somewhere - (with Dr. John)

8. Confessin' the Blues - (with Marty Stuart)

9. Paying the Cost to Be the Boss - (with The Rolling Stones)

10. Dangerous Mood - (with Joe Cocker)

11. Keep It Coming - (with Heavy D)

12. Cryin' Won't Help You - (with David Gilmour/Paul Carrack)

13. Night Life - (with Willie Nelson)

0000414396_350_zps34bc1817.jpg

The Great Summit - Complete Sessions - Deluxe 2CD (24/96) Edition

Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington

1961/2000 Roulette/Capitol (EU Import)

One of the most historic jazz records ever recorded, THE COMPLETE SESSIONS brings together, for the first and only time, the two most influential figures in jazz. Living up to the expectations placed upon such a meeting would, of course, be impossible, but this album is wonderful by any standard. The format is an interesting one in that basically Duke Ellington assumed Billy Kyle's piano chair in the 1961 version of Armstrong's All Stars band. Rather than performing Armstrong's usual repertoire, however, the two giants chose to record a selection of Ellington's best compositions.The resulting album allowed Duke to play some of his most sensitive, relaxed jazz piano on record and gave Satchmo a chance to stretch out on some unfamiliar material, which he does with his usual flair and inventiveness. High points include Armstrong's boisterous solos, amazing improvised scatting and extra lyrics on a high-energy version of "Cottontail" and Ellington's lean, supple lines on "Duke's Place." The seemingly infallible trombonist Trummy Young contributes swinging, bluesy solos throughout and clarinetist Barney Bigard plays with an air of sophistication that well suits the Ellington vibe.

Track Listing
DISC 1: THE MASTER TAKES:
(Together for the first time)
1. Duke's Place - (previously unreleased)
2. I'm Just a Lucky So and So - (previously unreleased)
3. Cotton Tail - (previously unreleased)
4. Mood Indigo - (previously unreleased)
5. Do Nothin' Till You Hear from Me - (previously unreleased)
6. The - (previously unreleased) Beautiful American
7. Black and Tan Fantasy - (previously unreleased)
8. Drop Me off in Harlem - (previously unreleased)
9. The - (previously unreleased) Mooche
10. In a Mellow Tone - (previously unreleased)
(The Great Reunion of..)
11. It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing) - (previously unreleased)
12. Solitude - (previously unreleased)
13. Don't Get Around Much Anymore - (previously unreleased)
14. I'm Beginning to See the Light - (previously unreleased)
15. Just Squeeze Me (But Don't Tease Me) - (previously unreleased)
16. I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good) - (previously unreleased)
17. Azalea - (previously unreleased)

DISC 2: THE MAKING OF THE GREAT SUMMIT:
1. In a Mellow Tone: Warm Up / Complete Take (Take 1) - (Warm-up/Take One-Complete Take#)
2. I'm Beginning to See the Light: False Start (Take 1) / Two False Starts (Take 4) / Complete Take (Take 5) / Conversation/False Start (Take 6) / Long False Start (Take 7) - (Take 1-False Start/Take 4-2 False Sta)
3. Working Out Arrang) Do Nothin' Till You Hear from Me: Rehearsal/Working Out Arrangement (Take 1) / Discussion/Complete Take (Take 2) / False Start (Take 3) - (Take 1-Rehearsal
4. Don't Get Around Much Anymore: Breakdown (Take 2) / Breakdown (Take 3) / Discussion/False Start (Take 4) / Complete Take (Take 5) / Discussion/Rehearsal Of Ending - (Take 2-Breakdown/Take 3-Breakdown/Take)
5. Take 5/Luckey Roberts Intro/Complete Take) Duke's Place - (previously unreleased
6. Take 2-Complete Take) Drop Me off in Harlem - (previously unreleased
7. I'm Just a Lucky So and So: Conversation / False Start (Take 1) / Complete Take/Discussion (Take 2) - (Conversation/Take 1-False Start/Take 2-Com)
8. False Start/Take 9-False Start) Azalea: Discussion/False Start (Take 8) / False Start (Take 9) / Complete In Two Sections (Take 10) - (#Take 8-Discussion
9. Take 3-False Start/Conversation Leading to Take) Black and Tan Fantasy: False Start (Take 3) / Conversation Leading To Take Four / False Start (Take 5) / Complete Take (Take 6) - (previously unreleased
10. Band Discussion on Cottontail - (previously unreleased)

THE GREAT REUNION was recorded April 3, 1961. Includes liner notes by Stanley Dance.THE GREAT SUMMIT: THE MASTER TAKES was originally released as THE COMPLETE LOUIS ARMSTRONG & DUKE ELLINGTON SESSIONS.Personnel: Louis Armstrong (vocals, trumpet); Duke Ellington (piano); Trummy Young (trombone); Barney Bigard (clarinet); Mort Herbert (bass); Danny Barcelona (drums).Producer: Bob Thiele.Reissue producer: Michael Cuscuna.Recorded at RCA Studios, New York, New York on April 3 & 4, 1961. Includes liner notes by Dan Morgenstern.Digitally remastered by Ron McMaster using 24-bit technology.Disc 1 is the previously released THE COMPLETE LOUIS ARMSTRONG & DUKE ELLINGTON SESSIONS. Disc 2 is a bonus CD of conversations, false starts and outtakes from the same sessions.

51UVX5HKIiL._SS500_.jpg

Kind of Blue -- Remastered 20-Bit CD

Miles Davis

1959/1997 Columbia Legacy

Amazon.com essential recording

This is the one jazz record owned by people who don't listen to jazz, and with good reason. The band itself is extraordinary (proof of Miles Davis's masterful casting skills, if not of God's existence), listing John Coltrane and Julian "Cannonball" Adderley on saxophones, Bill Evans (or, on "Freddie Freeloader," Wynton Kelly) on piano, and the crack rhythm unit of Paul Chambers on bass and Jimmy Cobb on drums. Coltrane's astringency on tenor is counterpoised to Adderley's funky self on alto, with Davis moderating between them as Bill Evans conjures up a still lake of sound on which they walk. Meanwhile, the rhythm partnership of Cobb and Chambers is prepared to click off time until eternity. It was the key recording of what became modal jazz, a music free of the fixed harmonies and forms of pop songs. In Davis's men's hands it was a weightless music, but one that refused to fade into the background. In retrospect every note seems perfect, and each piece moves inexorably towards its destiny. --John Szwed

All songs composed by Miles Davis (see content section for more information). Only six complete takes of the five tunes on the album exist, indicated by the song numbers.

"So What" – 9:22
"Freddie Freeloader" – 9:46
"Blue in Green" – 5:37
"All Blues" – 11:33
"Flamenco Sketches" – 9:26

Reissue bonus track

"Flamenco Sketches" (Alternate take) – 9:32

701771a88da0733062f8d110.L.jpg

So Near, So Far (Musings For Miles) -- CD

Joe Henderson

1993 Verve Records

Amazon.com

One of the most effective tributes ever recorded, this session matches Joe Henderson's tenor with three brilliant former Miles Davis sidemen--guitarist John Scofield, bassist Dave Holland, and drummer Al Foster. While these musicians were associated with Davis during his later electronic years, the session's inspiration is clearly from the trumpeter's great acoustic career. It includes little-heard pieces like "Swing Spring," from 1954, and "Circle," from 1966, as well as masterworks such as "Miles Ahead", "Milestones," and "Flamenco Sketches" from the intervening classic period. Heard at his best here, Henderson is a stunning improviser, combining a relaxed, almost offhand flow with frequently surprising melodic and rhythmic turns, developing an intriguing multidirectionality in his solos. While Davis has been one of the most imitated of musicians, there's nothing derivative about this tribute, which garnered 1993 Grammy Awards as both Best Jazz Instrumental (individual or group) and Best Jazz Solo (instrumental) for Henderson's serene work on "Miles Ahead." The CD is unquestionably a group accomplishment, though, with intense yet restrained work from Scofield (his comping here sometimes suggests the master, Jim Hall) and bristling interplay in the rhythm section. --Stuart Broomer

Track listing

1. Miles Ahead
2. Joshua
3. Pfrancing (No Blues)
4. Flamenco Sketches
5. Milestones
6. Teo
7. Swing Spring
8. Circle
9. Side Car
10. So Near, So Far

Saxophone - Joe Henderson
Bass - Dave Holland
Drums - Al Foster
Guitar - John Scofield
Producer - Don Sickler, Richard Seidel
Co-producer - Joe Henderson

24f2024128a076548c28f010.L.jpg

The Rumproller -- Remastered CD

Lee Morgan

1965/1999 Blue Note Records

Amazon.com

Lee Morgan's brassy, declarative trumpet playing often gave rise to comparisons with Clifford Brown, but Morgan had a voice of his own, highlighted by a playful, insinuating way with the beat. Those sly, rhythmic inflections may have contributed much to his hit "Sidewinder," a combination of taut, hard bop and infectious, funky R&B backbeat that has found renewed life in recent years among turntable artists. The Rumproller, written by pianist Andrew Hill, combines the same elements for comparable effect and is held together by the groove developed by Morgan and Billy Higgins, whose sparkling drum work contributed to the success of many Blue Note recordings of the period. The rest of the session is exemplary hard bop, with strong tunes by Morgan and Wayne Shorter and vigorous solos by tenor saxophonist Joe Henderson and pianist Ronnie Matthews, as well as Morgan. The touching ballad "The Lady" features Morgan blowing a muted trumpet and revealing an introspective side that seldom surfaced in his music. --Stuart Broomer

All compositions by Lee Morgan except as indicated

"The Rumproller" (Hill) - 10:29
"Desert Moonlight" - 9:26
"Eclipso" - 6:56
"Edda" (Shorter) - 7:23
"The Lady" (Marshall) - 7:34

Bonus track on CD reissue:

"Venus di Mildrew" (Shorter) - 6:26

Lee Morgan - trumpet
Joe Henderson - tenor saxophone
Ronnie Mathews - piano
Victor Sproles - bass
Billy Higgins - drums

ff8b81b0c8a0e10bee2c8110.L.jpg

Porgy And Bess - Remastered CD

Miles Davis - Orchestra under the direction of Gil Evans

1959/1997 Columbia Legacy

Of all Gil Evans' orchestral scores for soulmate Miles Davis, PORGY AND BESS is his richest and most ambitious--a watershed of modern jazz harmony which served to secure Davis' pop star stature and define his brooding mystique. Inevitably, even non-jazz listeners own a copy of PORGY AND BESS or SKETCHES OF SPAIN.Like MILES AHEAD, Evans' band on PORGY AND BESS de-emphasized the traditional reed section in favor of a tuba, three French horns, two flutes and two saxophones. The resulting chords and overtones are dark, alluring and mysterious. Thus the opening brass-cymbal bluster of "The Buzzard Song" gives way to a mid-eastern carpet of flutes and deep brass as Davis' poignant trumpet speaks in split tones and yearning cadences, bursting with blues feeling; a tuba soon picks up the theme as muted trumpets are followed by tolling trombone/French horn chords.Each of the thirteen sections contrast lush instrumental details with intimate trumpet arias (which suggest the profound influence of Billie Holiday, particularly over the eerie textures of "I Loves You Porgy"). Evans' ability to orchestrate hypnotic call and response patterns with Davis, and his ability to layer multiple textures at contrasting tempos makes for several memorable moments: Philly Joe's dancing breaks and exchanges with Miles on "Gone," the church-like amens of "Gone, Gone, Gone," the counter-melodies on a lightly swinging "Summertime," Miles' sustained lyricism (and Evans' tart blue chordal rejoinders) on "Prayer," the brash after-hours swagger of "It Ain't Necessarily So," and the contrasting folkish themes of "Here Come De Honey Man." Timeless music.

Track Listing
1. Buzzard Song
2. Bess, You Is My Woman Now
3. Gone
4. Gone, Gone, Gone
5. Summertime
6. Bess, Oh Where's My Bess
7. Prayer (Oh Doctor Jesus)
8. Fishermen, Strawberry and Devil Crab
9. My Man's Gone Now
10. It Ain't Necessarily So
11. Here Come de Honey Man
12. I Loves You, Porgy
13. There's a Boat That's Leaving Soon For New York
14. I Loves You, Porgy - (take 1, second version)
15. Gone - (take 4)

I bought this for the Novelty of it. But.... WOW is it good! :bow-blue:

If you like Reggae and Pink Floyd music, you may like this too! :think:

41nai7pFOXL.jpg

Dub Side of The Moon -- CD

Easy Star All-Stars

2003 Easy Star Records

An incredible reinvention of the original May 14, 2005
By David Bock
Format:Audio CD|Amazon Verified Purchase
Dark side of the moon, remade, Reggae style. And it works. Second for second the same, but different, and it even claims to be 'Wizard of Oz Compatible'.

Unfortunately, the best song from this remake is not on the samples provided by Amazon - the 'Speak to Me' transitions into 'Breathe', with its familiar but Reggae feel, the experience is absolutely surreal - worth buying the album for that experience alone - especially if you are a real fan of Pink Floyd.

As a whole, the reggae feel fits on top of the themes from Dark Side of the Moon naturally - you can easily forget what the 'original' sounds like, because you begin to think it should have sounded like this the first time around. The album has its moments though where the singer just becomes... annoying, and it goes a little over the top. Normally with an album like Dark Side, I would just get lost in the audio experience, almost meditative. While this happens with this version, the annoying singer 'pulls me out' of that a couple of times. There are just a couple of those moments though, and the do not spoil the entire experience. Prevents it from getting a '5' though.

Track Listing
1. Speak to Me/Breathe (In the Air)
2. On the Run
3. Time
4. The Great Gig in the Sky
5. Money
6. Us and Them
7. Any Colour You Like
8. Brain Damage
9. Eclipse

BONUS TRACKS:
10. Time Version
11. Great Dub in the Sky
12. Step It Pon the Rastaman Scene
13. Any Dub You Like

Easy Star All Stars: Corey Harris, Frankie Paul, Gary "Nesta" Pine, Dr. Israel, Ranking Joe (vocals); Michael Goldwasser (guitar); Victor Axelrod (melodica, piano, electric piano, Clavinet, synthesizer, percussion); Victor Rice (electric bass, upright bass); Patrick Dougher (drums).Additional personnel: Jenny Hill (saxophone); Michael Wagner (trombone); Wayne Wiggum (electric bass); Eddie Ocampo, Larry McDonald (percussion); Tamar-Kali (background vocals).Recorded at Noise NY, Mount Vernon, New York; Mike Stand Killer Studios, Funky Slip Studios and Zion Studios Brooklyn, New York; 401 Studios and Hot Sound, New York, New York. Includes liner notes by Lem Oppenheimer.

MarkKnopflerPrivateering_zps70c45568.jpg

Privateering -- 2 CD Set

Mark Knopfler

2013 Mercury/Verve Records

Since officially embarking on a solo career in 1995, former Dire Straits frontman Mark Knopfler has been quietly and consistently amassing an unassuming horn of plenty, maintaining his prior outfit's penchant for fusing meticulously crafted English blues-rock with sardonic, radio-ready AOR pop, while introducing elements of traditional folk and country with the effortless gait of an artist who has spent his years as both a student and a professor. On Privateering, his seventh solo outing, Knopfler has crafted his most ambitious and pugnacious collection of songs to date, going all in on a two-disc set that pits all of the aforementioned influences against each other without ever succumbing to the convenience of their architectures. Upon first spin, Privateering feels a little like a garage sale, offering up long cold plates of once warm, late-night porch jams that feel like pre-studio session warm-ups, but the album's stately yet schizophrenic nature, which pits lo-fi, studious, yet ultimately forgettable exercises in rote American blues like "Hot or What" and "Gator Blood" with amiable, highway-ready rockers ("Corned Beef City") and incredibly affecting, spooky folk-pop ballads like "Redbud Tree," "Kingdom of Gold," and the magnificent "Dream of the Drowned Submariner," all three of which owe a couple of polite high fives to Dire Straits songs like "The Man's Strong" and "Brothers in Arms," reveals an artist in complete control of his arsenal. Could the album use some trimming? Sure, but Knopfler is that rare gunslinger who can make even the wildest shot look like it was completely intentional, and his steady voice, mercurial lyrics, and instantly recognizable guitar tone, that latter of which falls somewhere between the rich, lucid beauty of David Gilmour and the Pan-like spell-casting of Richard Thompson, provide just the right amount of ballast to keep a ship as big as Privateering buoyant. ~ James Christopher Monger

Disc one

No. Title Length
1. "Redbud Tree" 3:19
2. "Haul Away" 4:01
3. "Don't Forget Your Hat" 5:15
4. "Privateering" 6:19
5. "Miss You Blues" (Traditional, Lyrics by Mark Knopfler) 4:18
6. "Corned Beef City" 3:32
7. "Go, Love" 4:52
8. "Hot or What" 4:54
9. "Yon Two Crows" 4:26
10. "Seattle" 4:17

Disc two

No. Title Length
1. "Kingdom of Gold" 5:22
2. "Got to Have Something" 4:01
3. "Radio City Serenade" 5:13
4. "I Used to Could" 3:36
5. "Gator Blood" 4:15
6. "Bluebird" 3:27
7. "Dream of the Drowned Submariner" 4:57
8. "Blood and Water" 5:19
9. "Today Is Okay" 4:45
10. "After the Beanstalk" 3:54
Total length:
118:45

Happy Sunday everyone... :banana-dance:

6116d627-2163-4098-aa9f-4f18bb806d8f_zps910cc012.jpg

The Hunter -- K2 Super Encoding XRCD24

Jennifer Warnes

1992 Private/Jasrac (Import Japan)

The follow-up to Jennifer Warnes' well received Leonard Cohen covers album, Famous Blue Raincoat, The Hunter finds Warnes applying her velvety voice to tunes by everyone from Todd Rundgren ("Pretending to Care") to the Waterboys ("The Whole of the Moon"). Cohen himself lends a hand too, co-writing "Way Down Deep." While Warnes began her career as a straight-ahead pop singer, she stretches her sound out on The Hunter to accommodate ballads and more rock-oriented tracks with equal aplomb. It's miles away from her early-'80s pop success with "Up Where We Belong," and definitively confirms her status as a mature, sophisticated song stylist.

Album Tracks:
1. Rock You Gently
2. Somewhere, Somebody
3. Big Noise, New York
4. True Emotion
5. Pretending To Care
6. The Whole Of The Moon
7. Lights Of Lousianne
8. Way Down Deep
9. The Hunter
10. I Can't Hide

51twlCGOLSL.jpg

Listen Here! -- CD

The Gene Harris Quartet

1989 Concord Records

Although often associated with the blues, only one of the ten selections on this quartet set by pianist Gene Harris (who is joined by guitarist Ron Eschete, bassist Ray Brown, and drummer Jeff Hamilton) is technically a blues. On this excellent all-around showcase for the soulful pianist, Harris sounds in prime form exploring such tunes as "This Masquerade," "Don't Be That Way," Eddie Harris' "Listen Here," and "The Song Is Ended." Listen Here! gives listeners a pretty definitive look at Gene Harris' accessible and swinging style. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. This Masquerade
2. Don't Be That Way
3. I've Got a Feeling I'm Falling
4. Listen Here
5. This Can't Be Love
6. To You
7. Blues for Jezebel
8. Sweet and Lovely
9. Lullabye
10. The Song Is Ended

Gene Harris Quartet: Gene Harris (piano); Ron Eschete (guitar); Ray Brown (bass); Jeff Hamilton (drums).Recorded at The Plant Recording Studios, Sausalito, California in March 1989.

51lIotqVN-L.jpg

A 20-bit Taste of DMP -- SBM CD

Various DMP Artists

1993 Digital Music Products

One of My All Time Favorites August 5, 2012
By Acolin
Format:Audio CD|Amazon Verified Purchase

As a reviewer for EnjoyTheMusic and with Facebook pages on Audio Tube Amp, Big Ole Horns and Tweaking Audiophile front-end, one of my all time favorite CDs is the amazing 20 Bit Taste of DMP sampler from Digital Music Products (DMP). (Go to [...]). A jazzy CD, it is one I carry with me to test other systems. It is clear - it is clean. There is more silence in the quiet passages than almost all of my other CDs. I love every other song on this slim disc and play it regularly. It has deep and fast kick drums, high and sweet chimes, smooth female vocals and resounding pianos. All other systems always sound their very best when playing the DMP CDs.

The second song on this sample disc, "FYI", is a perky little tune from Chuck Leob's Mediterranean CD (DMP CD-494). FYI opens with the drums and bass in a snappy joyful melody. The horns pick up the tune, while the piano and guitar punctuate the chorus with sharp attack notes. Although there are no vocals on this little ditty, it does give a good range of dynamic frequencies and instruments.

Mid-way through the song, the drum snaps add to the guitar instrumental. As the song moves into its final movements, the drum snaps come more frequently, and a set of chimes shimmers as if blown by a cold wind. In the closing sequence, all the instruments weave the melodic tune, the drums start a rhythmic pounding, and as they begin to fade away, the horns add into the crescendo. It is a nice, foot tapping fusion jazz tune.

For example, you should know that I love the Digital Music Product (DMP) CDs. They are among my all time favorites. Stereophile magazine (Nov. 99) emoted verbosely over the DMP does DSD SACD, gushing that is "replete with enjoyable sonic doodads of every kind: delicately struck cymbals over whacking good made-ya-blink drumwork, a mellifluous, yet taut and precise guitar, and a rich'n'redolent acoustic bass."

For my part, the DMP disc is clear - it is clean. There is more silence in the quiet passages than almost all of my other CDs. The highs are ice cold. The lows are deep and rich. The recording is un-crowded, so highs and lows are vivid contrasts to each other.

Track Listing
1. Stone Ground - Warren Bernhardt
2. FYI - Chuck Loeb
3. Freedomland - Bob Mintzer Big Band
4. Fools Gold - The Vivino Brothers
5. The - Jay Anderson Third Rail
6. Rain - David Charles/David Friedman
7. One Music - Bob Mintzer
8. Old World New World - Dan Brubeck/The Dolphins
9. I Love You - Dick Oatts/Garry Dial
10. Fatty's BBQ - Bob Smith

Performers include: Warren Bernhardt, Bob Mintzer, Chuck Loeb, The Dolphins, Bob's Diner, Garry Dial & Dick Oats, Jay Anderson, David Charles & David Friedman, The Vivino Brothers Band.This CD incorporates 20-bit Super Bit Mapping recording, mixing and mastering technology.Personnel: Lisa Lombardo, Catherine Russell (vocals).

I do, I think I got it on your recommendation (as I probably will for the "A 20-bit Taste of DMP", stop it!)

I got the SACD pressing, but didn't know it was originally done on tape, with a single Blumfeld stereo mic pair, no mixing/compression/reverb. Still a stunning recording, but I wish I'd got the CD.

Back