• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

It's a Jazzy, trip-hop, R&B kinda sound. I like it...

JVCXR-0011-Large_zpsb717e3bc.jpg

Connected To The Unexpected -- K2 20-bit XRCD

Misha

1996 JVC Records

The arrival of Misha's explosive JVC debut, Connected to the Unexpected, both clarifies and secures the future of the ever-expanding realm where urban-flavored modern hip-hop meets contemporary jazz. More than just a clever twist of phrase, the album title plugs into the keyboardist's ultra-inventive approach in fusing the various elements of his professional background -- traditional and modern jazz, rock, pop, and orchestral music -- with an aggressive, rap-spiced street vibe, topping off the infectious blend with stylistic homages to rhythms from around the globe. Connected to the Unexpected leads the Emmy award-winning composer, arranger, and producer down a more adventurous yet ultimately more focused road than Zambooka, his debut as an artist in 1992. While younger fans looking for that new sound will no doubt find those grooves just the ticket, Misha also forges numerous links to the jazz masters he admired in his formative years. Behind the furious blend of jazzy piano, serious hip-hop, and Ron Bloom's rapping on "1 and the 9" lies a big-band style homage to Duke Ellington, complete with a three-piece horn section (Greg Adams, trumpet; Gary Herbig, sax; Ira Nepus, trombone). On "Smooth," achieving a cool synthesis of electric soul and percussive jazz gives Misha an opportunity to touch on the influential moods of Ahmad Jamal. And the closing track features Misha's very plugged-in, very '90s take on Glenn Miller's standard "Moonlight Serenade." One of Misha's most striking "now" ideas is balancing his harmonic jazz piano and horn fusion with colorful rapping and singing (often on the same cut) by Ron Bloom and Angela Carole Brown. Brown turns the hypnotic, African-tinged "Si Kuku Ni Ta Kuja" (A Great Day Is Coming) into an inspirational message, and takes "Smooth" to a new level in rhythm and jazz seduction. Bloom's cool vocalizations help Misha traverse a variety of urban landscapes, from the city-to-city subway ride of "1 and the 9" to the Lenny Bruce coffeehouse generation of "Poet in the Trash Can." Carrying the global motif even further is "Donde Estan Mis Zapatos?" (Where Are My Shoes?), Misha's playful ode to classic Latin dance hall excitement. ~ Jonathan Widran

Track Listings:
1. Si Kuku Ni Ta Kuja (A Great Day Is Coming)
2. Through The Rain
3. 1 And The 9
4. Black Ballet
5. Poet In The Trash Can
6. Who Are You
7. Electrified
8. Donde Estan Mis Zapator (Where Are My Shoes?)
9. Moon Over My Ami
10. Smooth
11. Moonlight Serenade

Musicians:
Misha, piano
Brian Bromberg, bass
Gary Herbig, sax
Greg Adams, trumpet

71B-UHGeLTL_zps8dc104ea.jpg

Trombone For Lovers -- CD

Roswell Rudd

2013 Sunnyside Records

The album begins with Stan Jones’s ”Ghost Riders In the Sky,” a spirited, soulful take on the cowboy classic. John Lennon and Paul McCartney’s “Here, There & Everywhere” features the wonderfully idiosyncratic vocals of Bob Dorough over Medeski’s lush organ. Frank Loesser’s “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” follows with a gospel tint as Bernstein and Rudd play in a moving duet. Vocalist Fay Victor lends her talents to a moving, blues drenched version of Richard Jones’s “Trouble In Mind” which is followed by a percussive, New Orleans parade beat on “Struttin’ with Some Barbecue.”

Santo and Johnny Farina’s 1950s classic “Sleepwalk” is taken as a laconically lush ballad. Doucet and Sturm join Rudd on the Joseph Kosme standard “Autumn Leaves” in a spare but swinging trio followed by an appropriately groovy rendition of Booker T. Jones’s “Green Onions,” featuring Bernstein and Gary Lucas. Redd Stewart and Pee Wee King’s “Tennessee Waltz” finds the trombonist with Doucet and Sturm for a quietly strolling take on the Western classic. An emphatic rendition of Ellington’s “Come Sunday” is followed by an elegiac rendition of “Unchained Melody.”

Weill and Anderson’s “September Song” is lovingly rendered by the trio of Doucet, Sturm and Rudd before the country swing of Verna Gillis and Rudd’s “Funky Little Sweet Thing,” featuring the lilting vocals of Heather Masse. The recording concludes with a suite consisting of a multitude of arrangements of Alfred Hayes and Earl Robinson’s “Joe Hill” featuring the NYC Labor Chorus, pianist Dennis Nelson and rapper Reggie Bennett.

A performer of eclectic taste and stylistic breadth, Roswell Rudd has provided an intriguing recording of music that has made an impact on him. Trombone for Lovers is a tribute to a lifetime of listening and love of music through the collaboration of an eclectic crew of musical friends.

Album Tracks

1. Ghost Riders in the Sky
2. Here, There & Everywhere
3. Baby, It's Cold Outside
4. Trouble in Mind
5. Struttin' with Some Barbecue
6. Sleepwalk
7. Autumn Leaves
8. Green Onions
9. Tennessee Waltz
10. Come Sunday
11. Unchained Melody
12. September Song
13. Funky Little Sweet Thing/Slow Dance for Fast Times
14. Joe Hill [Trombone Solo with Piano Accompaniment] [Version]
15. Joe Hill [NYC Labor Chorus] [Version]
16. Joe Hill [The Relenteless Walk] [Version]
17. Joe Hill [Joe Hill Will Never Die] [Version]
18. [CD-ROM Track] [Multimedia Track]

Roswell Rudd - trombone
John Medeski - Hammond B-3
Richard Hammond - bass
Aaron Comess - drums
Steven Bernstein - slide trumpet
Bob Dorough - vocal
Fay Victor - vocal
Michael Doucet - violin
Rolf Sturm - guitar
Gary Lucas - electric guitar
Heather Masse - vocals
Ira Coleman - bass
Matthew Fink - guitar
T Xiques - drums
NYC Labor Chorus - choir
Reggie Bennett - rap

KGrHqYOKpkE1qylIVHlBNoJK-Ursg_3_zps23937ceb.jpg

Warm Your Heart -- 20-Bit K2 XRCD

Aaron Neville

1991/2000 Universal/JVC Japan

Compatible with all CD players. Originally released in 1991 and produced by Linda Ronstadt and George Massengill, Aaron Neville's Warm Your Heart is a collection of lush, rich songs that includes both originals and classic reinterpretations. Neville's voice is in absolute top form on the singles "Everybody Plays the Fool," "Somewhere, Somebody" and "Close Your Eyes." Rita Coolidge and Linda Rondstadt both appear as guest vocalists on a number of tracks while other contributing artists include slide guitarist Ry Cooder, saxophonist Plas Johnson, Bob Seger, Dr. John, Bob Glaub and Dean Parks.

This recording has been mastered by the K2 HD format of 24-bit 100kHz, which creates an unbelievable sound!

1. Louisiana 1927
2. Everybody Plays the Fool
3. It Feels Like Rain
4. Somewhere Somebody
5. Don't Go Please Stay
6. With You In Mind
7. That's the Way She Loves
8. Angola Bound
9. Close Your Eyes
10. La Vie Dansante
11. Warm Your Heart
12. I Bid You Goodnight
13. Ave Maria
14. House On a Hill

JVCXR7955-Large_zps8ccaea0d.jpg

Audiophile Selections -- 20-Bit K2 XRCD2

Don Williams

2011 Premium/JVC Japan

Don Williams is a country singer whose straightforward vocals, soft tones, and imposing build earned him the nickname 'The Gentle Giant' of country music. Here is a compilation of some of his greatest hits including I'm Just A Country Boy, You're My Best Friend, Till The Rivers All Run Dry, Turn Out The Lights (And Love Me Tonight) and many more. Released on the high-resolution audiophile format known as XRCD, this CD is playable on all CD players.

1. I'm Just A Country Boy
2. Where Are You
3. When I'm With You
4. All I'm Missing Is You
5. You're My Best Friend
6. Till The Rivers All Run Dry
7. I'm Getting Good At Missing You
8. Turn Out The Lights (And Love Me Tonight)
9. Some Broken Hearts Never Mend
10. Don't You Think It's Time
11. My Woman's Love
12. Goodbye Isn't Really Good At All
13. It Must Be Love

51n2PbHgPPL.jpg

The Gospel Collection -- 2 CD Set

George Jones Sings The Greatest Stories Ever Told

2003 Bandit/BMG Records

Although country icon George Jones had made gospel albums before this 2003 recording, both solo and with duet partner Tammy Wynette, this one bears a special significance. The two-disc set of spirituals marks the first time he'd tackled such material since an almost-fatal 1999 car accident. The mishap is said to have put him on spiritual notice, so to speak, and inspired this album (though he'd done some secular work in between). The arrangements, quite appropriately, steer clear of the customary gospel trappings and are squarely in the Billy Sherrill/classic Nashvile mold that suits Jones so well. The man's voice remains a marvel of tone and emotion, and hearing him lay into the likes of "Just a Closer Walk With Thee," "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms," and even the ubiquitous "Amazing Grace" is nothing short of heart-stopping. No other country singer can emotionally inhabit a song as fully as Jones, and hearing a lifelong hell-raiser try to mend his ways is doubly affecting.

Track Listing
DISC 1:
1. Amazing Grace
2. It Is No Secret
3. Just a Little Talk With Jesus
4. Where We'll Never Grow Old
5. Sweet Chariot Swing Low
6. Why Me Lord?
7. I'll Fly Away
8. Precious Memories - (featuring Patti Page)
9. Just a Closer Walk With Thee
10. In the Garden
11. Lonesome Valley
12. When Mama Sang (The Angels Stopped to Listen)

DISC 2:
1. Peace in the Valley
2. What a Friend We Have in Jesus
3. Softly and Tenderly
4. Lily of the Valley
5. The Old Rugged Cross
6. Leaning on the Everlasting Arms
7. Family Bible
8. Mansion Over the Hilltop - (featuring Vestal Goodman)
9. If I Could Hear My Mother Pray Again
10. How Beautiful Heaven Must Be
11. Jesus Hold My Hand
12. I Know a Man Who Can - (featuring Sheri Copeland/Barry "Frosty" Smith)

Personnel: George Jones (vocals, guitar); Bruce Atkins (acoustic guitar); Brent Mason, Reggie Young, J.T. Corenflos, John Willis (electric guitar); Paul Franklin, John Hughy (steel guitar); Glen Duncan (fiddle); Gary Prim (keyboards); Michael Rhodes (bass); Eddie Bayers (drums); Louis Nunley, Bergen White, Curtis Young, Mark Ivey, Ray Walker, Michael Black, Gordon Stoker, Millie Kirkum, Sheri Copeland, The Smith Family (background vocals).

Today's work truck music...

a44251c88da0775a6b9fe110.L.jpg

Stickin' To My Guns -- CD

Etta James

1990 Island Records

Blues belter Etta James came off a long period of drug rehab to make a comeback in 1989 with her first post-Chess album, SEVEN YEAR ITCH, a roots-conscious recording for Island. The follow-up, STICKIN' TO MY GUNS, is quite a different affair. While James's singing style is unchanged, and as ferocious as ever, there's much more of a "contemporary" feel to the production, with aggressive beats, popping bass, digital-sounding recording, and even a guest rap interlude on one track. James would soon depart Island for Elektra.

Track Listing
1. Whatever Gets You Through the Night
2. Love to Burn
3. The Blues Don't Care
4. Your Good Thing (Is About to End)
5. Get Funky
6. Beware
7. Out of the Rain
8. Stolen Affection
9. A Fool in Love
10. I've Got Dreams to Remember

Personnel includes: Etta James (vocals); Gary Burnette, Leo Nocentelli, Reggie Young, Mabon "Teenie" Hodges, Danny Rhodes, Arik Marshall, Josh Sklair (guitar); David L. Patterson (tenor & baritone saxophones); Gene Dinwiddie (tenor saxophone); Fernando Pullum (trumpet); John Dewey McKnight (trombone); Jimmie Wood (harmonica); Jimmy Pugh (piano, keyboards); Barry Beckett (keyboards); Mike Lawler (synthesizer); Michael Rhodes, Bobby Vega (bass); Roger Hawkins (drums); Greg "Smacky" Donerson (percussion); Dobie Gray, Def Jef (background vocals).

The group was not unfamiliar to me, in that I heard heard their name but would not have been able to name one of their tunes. However it was Baby Blue in the Breaking Bad finale that made me search them out. Then you pop the cd in and you say "Wow, I know that song..wow..that one too...and that one!!"

41IzS%2BU-X4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51wW4ZB7JeL.jpg

The Ballad Collection -- Remastered CD

June Christy

2000 Capitol Jazz

This isn't exactly the definitive June Christy ballad collection, whatever that may be . Rather it's a highly personal selection curated by the jazz biographer James Gavin (DEEP IN A DREAM: THE LONG NIGHT OF CHET BAKER), with a special emphasis on the neglected stereo re-recording of the singer's signature SOMETHING COOL Once again June Christy emerges here as a great singer-actress and very much under her own self-direction. The superior and informative liner notes refer to her stage fright and drinking but also her rare artistic integrity and equally rare low-key modesty. Gavin even excavates four completely unknown songs from a specially-penned Christmas album called THIS TIME OF YEAR. (Speaking of writer curators, the equally fine BEST OF JUNE CHRISTY: THE JAZZ SIDES was put together by jazz vocal maven Will Friedwald.)

Track Listing
1. Interlude
2. My One and Only Love
3. Lonely House
4. as in a Morning Sunrise Softly
5. The Little Star
6. Cry Like the Wind
7. The Magic Gift
8. Don't Explain
9. Kissing Bug
10. Nobody's Heart
11. Night People
12. The Night We Called It a Day
13. Something Cool
14. The Wind
15. This Time of Year
16. Winter's Got Spring Up Its Sleeve

Personnel: June Christy (vocals); Al Viola, Laurindo Almeida (guitar); Corky Hale, Kathyrine Julye (harp); Harry Klee, Bud Shank (flute); Bob Cooper (bass clarinet, oboe, tenor saxophone); Art Pepper (alto saxophone); Buddy Collette (tenor saxophone); Conte Candoli, Joe Gordon (trumpet); John Graas, Vincent DeRosa, John Cave (French horn); Dick Noel, Frank Rosolino, George Roberts , Harry Betts, Herbie Harper (trombone); Claude Williamson, Joe Castro (piano); Mel Lewis, Shelly Manne, Stan Levey, Irving Cottler (drums); Larry Bunker (percussion).Audio Remasterer: Ron McMaster.Liner Note Author: James Gavin.

cassandra%20wilson%20loverly%20cover.jpg

Loverly -- CD

Cassandra Wilson

2008 Blue Note Records

Amazon.com

Cassandra Wilson's Loverly is something more than just her unique spin on songs from long ago. For this set, she has assembled an impressive core group of musicians to accompany her: Jason Moran on piano, Lonnie Plaxico on acoustic upright bass, and Marvin Sewell on guitar. Her low and hypnotic contralto glides so knowingly through each song that they would seem to be of her own creation--but aren't. To be sure, each of the 12 songs found on Loverly are stamped with her trademark Delta-baby, bluesy style (most noticeably on "Dust My Broom"). But Wilson and company have taken it one step further by turning tear-jerkers such as "Til There Was You" and "The Very Thought of You" into sultry bubblers that invite ballads into the bedroom. Throw in the moody "Black Orpheus" and her funky, down-to-business take on "St. James Infirmary," and it doesn't take long to realize that Loverly is a complete attempt to satisfy the soul; a sexy mesh that dares rival anything Cassandra Wilson has released before it. --Eric C.P. Martin

"Lover, Come Back to Me" (Sigmund Romberg, Oscar Hammerstein II) – 4:16
"A Day in the Life of a Fool" (Luiz Bonfá, Antonio Maria) – 4:58
"Wouldn't It Be Loverly" (Alan Jay Lerner, Frederick Loewe) – 5:02
"Gone With the Wind" (Herb Magidson, Allie Wrubel) – 5:51
"Caravan" (Duke Ellington, Juan Tizol, Irving Mills) – 4:23
"'Til There Was You" (Meredith Willson) – 6:42
"Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most" (Fran Landesman, Tommy Wolf) – 5:01
"Arere" (Babalola, Moran, Plaxico, Riley, Sewell, Wilson) – 5:42
"St. James Infirmary" (Irving Mills) – 4:40
"Dust My Broom" (Elmore James, Robert Johnson) – 4:46
"The Very Thought of You" (Ray Noble) – 4:47
"A Sleepin' Bee" (Harold Arlen, Truman Capote) – 4:35

51iZpW66-DL.jpg

Off The Top -- Remastered CD

Jimmy Smith

1992/2000 Elektra Jazz Masters (Import Germany)

The meaning of this album's title is two-fold. As Smith explains in the liner notes, the title refers both to the improvisatory nature of the music and to the fact that the outstanding instrumentalists were hand-picked "off the top of the pile." With a stellar line-up that includes George Benson on guitar, Ron Carter on bass, Grady Tate on drums and Stanley Turrentine on sax, the musicianship is top-notch, beautifully augmenting and supporting Smith's skillful keyboard manipulations.While covers of Lionel Richie's "Endless Love" and the theme from M*A*S*H may be a bit too Muzak-y for die-hard Smith fans, the free-flowing soul of the title track and "I'll Drink To That," and the gentle tropical sway of Benson's "Mimosa" deliver in the old style. The record closes with an uptempo treatment of "Ain't Misbehavin'" and a short speech by Smith telling us how much the players enjoyed making the album and how jazz is the only music that's going to last. Given the eminently enjoyable artistry displayed here, that may well be the case.

1. Off the Top
2. Endless Love
3. Mimosa
4. I'll Drink to That
5. Suicide Is Painless [Theme from M*A*S*H]
6. Ain't Misbehavin'
7. Jimmy Smith Rap
8. Keep On Comin' (live)*
9. Be Yourself (live)*
10. No Problem (Live)*
11. Callitwhatchawanna (Live) *

*Live Bonus Tracks From the Album "Keep On Comin'" featuring Kenny Burrell, Johnny Griffin & Mike Baker.

Personnel: Jimmy Smith (organ, ARP synthesizer); Stanley Turrentine (tenor saxophone); George Benson (guitar); Ron Carter (bass); Grady Tate (drums); Errol "Crusher" Bennett (percussion).Recorded at Generation Sound Studios, New York, New York on June 7, 1982. Includes liner notes by Jimmy Smith.

Today's work truck music....

41S053qccdL._SS500_.jpg

Get Rhythm -- CD

Ry Cooder

1990 Warner Bros. Records

Ry Cooder at his unconventional best, October 14, 2000
By "allfiresthefire" - See all my reviews

This review is from: Get Rhythm (Audio CD)

To listen to this is not to get a feel of what Ry is mainly about. He would probably vouch for that. If however, you regarded this a a delve into the uncharted, then the result is an aural feast. The title track sets the mood for the rest of the album. Johnny Cash would be proud that this cover was done very well and in a style which is simply Ry. The outstanding track however is the 13 Question Method. Again, Ry gives a new lease of life to a mediocre song, this time by Chuck Berry. The characteristics and jokey slide technique which Ry employs is amazing. To appreciate slide really well, you need to listen to this album and particularly track 4.

1. "Get Rhythm" (Johnny Cash)
2. "Low Commotion" (Ry Cooder, Jim Keltner)
3. "Going Back to Okinawa" (Ry Cooder)
4. "Thirteen Question Method" (Chuck Berry)
5. "Women Will Rule the World" (Raymond Quevedo)
6. "All Shook Up" (Elvis Presley, Otis Blackwell)
7. "I Can Tell by the Way You Smell" (Walter Davis)
8. "Across the Borderline" (Ry Cooder, Jim Dickinson, John Hiatt)
9. "Let's Have a Ball" (Alden Bunn)

1155185.jpg

Smokin' is the debut album by American blues guitarist Jonny Lang, independently released in 1995 under the name Kid Jonny Lang & The Big Bang.

~~ ~~ ~~ :handgestures-thumbup:

topper said:

1155185.jpg

Smokin' is the debut album by American blues guitarist Jonny Lang, independently released in 1995 under the name Kid Jonny Lang & The Big Bang.

Jonny Lang is an incredible musician!!! We enjoy his talents often! :handgestures-thumbup:

51bWIa%2BYMaL.jpg

Quietly There -- 20-bit K2 XRCD

Zoot Sims plays Johnny Mandel

1984/1993 Pablo/JVC Records

Norman Granz's idea to match Zoot Sims' lyrical, swinging tenor sax with Johnny Mandel's equally arresting compositions was a masterful one. Sims' tart, alternately lush and furious solos were wonderfully spotlighted on such tunes as "Cinnamon and Cloves," "Emily" and "Zoot." The six-tune session, recently issued on CD, also contains effective piano solos from Mike Wofford. The date's tour-de-force was its final selection, the wonderful "Low Life," which Sims probed, illuminated and ultimately redefined via his solo. ~ Ron Wynn

1. Cinnamon and Cloves
2. A Time For Love
3. Zoot
4. Quietly There
5. Emily
6. Low Life

Musicians:
Zoot Sims, tenor saxophone
Mike Wofford, piano
Chuck Berghofer, bass
Nick Ceroli, drums
Victor Feldman, percussion

topper said:

1155185.jpg

Kid Jonny Lang and the Big Bang played a basement blues club in Grand Forks ND when I was stationed there, I saw him play when he was thirteen!

Oh, this is good..... :eusa-clap:

61hbflhuDyL.jpg

Impressions of Curtis Mayfield -- CD

Jazz Soul Seven

2012 BFM Jazz

Curtis Mayfield wasn't quite like anyone else, whether it was penning and singing the timeless hits of the Impressions ("It's All Right," "Move On Up," "I'm So Proud," "Keep On Pushing," "People Get Ready," "Gypsy Woman") or writing, arranging, and singing the sturdy, elegant funk explorations of his solo years ("Freddie's Dead," "Superfly"), he was always his own message to the world. This wonderful set features seven already accomplished jazz musicians (guitarist Phil Upchurch, drummer Terri Lynne Carrington, bassist Bob Hurst, trumpet player Wallace Roney, saxophonist Ernie Watts, keyboardist Russ Ferrante, and percussionist Master Henry Gibson) re-imagining some of Mayfield's classic compositions in a jazz ensemble setting. Calling itself Jazz Soul Seven, this remarkably versatile and fluid group of musicians has created a beautifully balanced and nuanced tribute to Mayfield, with classics like "People Get Ready," already a majestic recording in the original version by the Impressions, stretching in shining new directions. Mayfield had jazz elements in his own recordings from the start, so this set seems like an easy extension of his initial soundscapes, smooth, easy, and with an onward rhythmic energy. ~ Steve Leggett

Track Listing
1. Freddie's Dead
2. It's All Right
3. Move On Up
4. We're a Winner
5. Superfly
6. Beautiful Brother of Mine
7. Check Out Your Mind
8. I'm So Proud
9. Keep On Pushing
10. People Get Ready
11. Gypsy Woman
12. Amen

Personnel: Phil Upchurch (guitar); Ernie Watts (saxophone); Wallace Roney (trumpet); Russ Ferrante (piano); Terri Lyne Carrington (drums); Master Henry Gibson (percussion).Audio Mixer: Tom Luekens.Liner Note Author: A. Scott Galloway.Recording information: The Bakery, North Hollywood, CA.Photographer: Markus Cuff.Arranger: Phil Upchurch.

Botch said:
topper said:

1155185.jpg

Kid Jonny Lang and the Big Bang played a basement blues club in Grand Forks ND when I was stationed there, I saw him play when he was thirteen!

Awesome! Zing & I talked about him over dinner his evening, discussing his music & age. Again, what an incredible talent! He has a gift!

Back