• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

I didn't know there was a remastered reissue of Aja; at $4.99 I boughted it. :handgestures-thumbup:

Botch said:
I didn't know there was a remastered reissue of Aja; at $4.99 I boughted it. :handgestures-thumbup:

With a free Mp3 rip to your cloud! :banana-rock:

Dennie :music-listening:

.mp3's of Steely Dan tracks?!?! :angry-tappingfoot:

:eek:bscene-buttred: :happy-smileygiantred:

757e6230a8a0b8a52bd8f010.L.jpg

Prayer Meetin' -- Remastered CD

Jimmy Smith with Stanley Turrentine

1963/2004 Blue Note Records

PRAYER MEETIN' is vintage Jimmy Smith. With unflappable beatkeeper Donald Bailey, the liquid guitar lines of Quentin Warren, the underrated sax stylings of Stanley Turrentine and the unusual inclusion of a bassist in the person of Sam Jones (Smith usually plays his own bass lines with the foot pedals), the sound on this album is thick, textured and interactive. However, there's no dilution of the intimacy and deep soul associated with Smith.The jazz/blues amalgam laid out in the title track, "Red Top" and "Picknickin'" is impossible to resist--fat grooves given flight by the keyboardist's intense, syncopated flurries. The ballad "I Almost Lost My Mind," featuring a gorgeous solo by Turrentine, and the calypso boogie of "Stone Cold Dead In The Marketplace" add variety to the set. The one seeming throwaway, a swing version of "When The Saints Go Marching In," is more than compensated for by two additional tracks not included on the original LP, "Lonesome Road" and "Smith Walk." All in all, this disc is a fine example not only of Smith's prodigious abilities, but of how well he works with an ensemble to create beautiful, compelling music.

Track Listing
1. Prayer Meetin'
2. I Almost Lost My Mind
3. Stone Cold Dead in the Market
4. When the Saints Go Marching In
5. Red Top
6. Picnickin'
7. Lonesome Road - (bonus track)
8. Smith Walk - (bonus track)

Personnel: Jimmy Smith (organ); Stanley Turrentine (tenor saxophone); Quentin Warren (guitar); Sam Jones (bass); Donald Bailey (drums).Recorded at the Van Gelder studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on June 13, 1960 and February 8, 1963.This is part of Blue Note's RVG series.

Botch said:
.mp3's of Steely Dan tracks?!?! :angry-tappingfoot:

:eek:bscene-buttred: :happy-smileygiantred:

Yeah, I thought about it after I said it. :text-imsorry:

Dennie :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

51PH%2BIb3GLL.jpg

Double Play - Two-fer (No Bass Hit & Major League) -- 2 CD Set

Dave McKenna - Scott Hamilton - Jake Hanna

1979 & 1986/2002 Concord Records

Concord greatly enriched the revival of more traditional forms of jazz in the 1970s and 1980s when they bought together established players like pianist Dave McKenna and drummer Jake Hanna with new kids on the block like tenor Scott Hamilton. This bassless trio recorded No Bass Hit in 1979, then returned for an encore with Major League in 1986. The two-disc set Double Play re-introduces both titles while keeping the baseball metaphor intact. Quiet standards by the Gershwins and Cole Porter trade places with up-tempo delights like Gene Krupa and Roy Eldridge's "Drum Boogie." One might imagine missing the steady beat of the bass, but a cursory listen to "Easy to Love" verifies that this isn't the case. McKenna plays chords with one hand while keeping a steady bass rhythm with the other, assuring a solid beat even when he's playing lead. The band swings with vim and vigor on "Swinging at the Copper Rail" and "It All Depends on You," while offering relaxed versions of "I'm Through With Love" and "This Is All I Ask." Part of the joy of this band is their versatility, with Hamilton and McKenna exchanging lead lines or with Hanna kicking off a song with a snazzy drum roll. Double Play offers an hour and a half of excellent mainstream jazz and serves as a fine addition to the works of all the players involved. ~ Ronnie D. Lankford, Jr.

Track Listing

DISC 1: NO BASS HIT:
1. But Not for Me
2. If Dreams Come True
3. Long Ago (And Far Away)
4. Drum Boogie
5. I Love You, Samantha
6. I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter
7. Easy to Love
8. Get Happy

DISC 2: MAJOR LEAGUE:
1. Swinging at the Copper Rail
2. Pretty Girl Is Like a Melody, A
3. Cocktails for Two
4. I'm Through With Love
5. Linger Awhile
6. September in the Rain
7. This Is All I Ask
8. It All Depends on You
9. April in Paris

DOUBLE PLAY contains 2 LPs on 2 CDs: NO BASS HIT (1979)/MAJOR LEAGUE (1986).Personnel: Dave McKenna (piano, bass); Scott Hamilton (tenor saxophone); Jake Hanna (drums).Recorded at Normandy Studios, Warren, Rhode Island and Continental Recording, Boston, Massachusetts in March 1979 & May 1986. Originally released on Concord (4097) & Concord (4305). Includes liner notes by Charlie Drago and Ken Franckling.Personnel: Dave McKenna (piano); Scott Hamilton (tenor saxophone); Jake Hanna (drums).Audio Remixers: Wil Morton; Phil Edwards .Recording information: Contintental Recording, Boston, MA (03/1979-05/1986); Normandy Studios, Warren, RI (03/1979-05/1986).

Hey Botch, just in case you don't have this, the SACD is cheaper than the CD at amazon.

LINK--> http://www.amazon.com/Lifecycle-Yel...&sr=1-1&keywords=yellowjackets+lifecycle+SACD

41TS8EeT8kL.jpg

Lifecycle -- Hybrid SACD

Yellowjackets featuring Mike Stern

2008 Heads Up

According to some basic, undeniable laws of nature, when two powerful forces collide, something explosive will occur, and a dramatic transformation is likely to take place as a result. It’s a law that applies to every dynamic in the known universe, including jazz.

It stands to reason, then, that when a formidable jazz quartet like the Yellowjackets convenes in the studio with a high-energy guitar virtuoso like Mike Stern, the resulting reaction will be a singular event – one that’s likely to create something entirely new on the jazz landscape.

This phenomenon is captured on Lifecycle (HUCD 3141), the new collaborative recording by the Jackets and Stern set for worldwide release on Heads Up International a division of Concord Music Group on May 20, 2008. The first Yellowjackets recording in 15 years to feature a guitar player, Lifecycle illustrates the kind of energy and creative brilliance that results when five talented players pool their individual talents as songwriters and musicians and merge into an entity that’s far greater than the sum of its parts.

Features:
• 5 channel Surround
• DSD

Selections:
1. Falken's Maze
2. Country Living
3. Double Nickel
4. Dreams Go
5. Measure of a Man
6. Yahoo
7. I Wonder
8. 3 Circles
9. Claire's Closet
10. Lazaro

Yellowjackets: Bob Mintzer (clarinet, soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone); Russell Ferrante (piano, keyboards, percussion); Jimmy Haslip (electric bass); Marcus Baylor (drums, percussion).

:banana-dance: Whoo, thanks Dennie, boughted!

I've seen the Yellowjackets a couple times, and followed the keyboardist's columns in Keyboard back in the days; and I got to see Mike Stern in SLC about 5 years ago, had been a fan since he joined Miles as a young fat kid. Looking forward to hearing this!

photo.jpg

Roman Angelo!!!!! Who, BTW, has finished eight songs on his 'Entry Level' CD!!!!
:banana-dance: :bow-blue: :handgestures-thumbup: ;) :banana-rock:

6bafa2c008a0131c31e38010.L.jpg

The Complete Aladdin Recordings -- 2 Remastered CD Set

Lester Young

1995 Blue Note Records

Although it has often been written that cool-toned tenor saxophonist Lester Young's experiences with racism in the military during 1944-1945 so scarred him that he never played at the same musical level as he had previously, the music on this essential two-CD reissue disproves that theory. It is true that his attitude toward life was affected and Young became somewhat self-destructive, but his postwar solos rank with the greatest work of his career. This two-fer, which has four selections from 1942 in which Young is heard in a trio with pianist Nat King Cole and bassist Red Callender and a rare 1945 session headed by singer Helen Humes (including a previously unknown instrumental "Riffin' Without Helen"), is mostly taken up with Young's very enjoyable 1945-1948 small-group dates. Highlights include "D.B. Blues," "Jumpin' with Symphony Sid" (which was a minor hit), "Sunday," and "New Lester Leaps In," among many others. Minor errors aside (trumpeter Snooky Young is left out of the personnel listing for the Humes date and Young's final Aladdin session is from 1948, not 1947), this is a well-conceived and brilliant set filled with exciting performances by one of the true greats of jazz. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing

DISC 1:
1. Indiana
2. I Can't Get Started
3. Tea for Two
4. Body and Soul
5. D.B. Blues
6. Lester Blows Again
7. These Foolish Things
8. Jumpin' at Mesner's
9. It's Only a Paper Moon
10. After You've Gone
11. Lover, Come Back to Me
12. Jammin' with Lester
13. You're Driving Me Crazy
14. New Lester Leaps In
15. Lester's Be Bop Shop
16. She's Funny That Way
17. Sunday
18. S.M. Blues

DISC 2:
1. Jumpin' with Symphony Sid
2. No Eyes Blues
3. Sax-O-Be-Bop
4. On the Sunny Side of the Street
5. Easy Does It
6. Easy Does It - (alternate take)
7. Movin' with Lester
8. One O'Clock Jump
9. Jumpin' at the Woodside
10. I'm Confessin'
11. Lester Smooths It Out
12. Just Cooling
13. Tea for Two
14. East of the Sun
15. Sheik of Araby
16. Something to Remember You By
17. Riffin' Without Helen - (previously unreleased)
18. Please Let Me Forget
19. He Don't Love Me Anymore
20. Pleasing Man Blues
21. See See Rider
22. It's Better to Give Than Receiving

Personnel: Lester Young (tenor saxophone); Helen Humes (vocals); Willie Smith (alto saxophone); Maxwell Davis (tenor saxophone); Howard McGhee, Shorty McConnell (trumpet); Vic Dickenson (trombone); Dodo Marmarosa, Nat Cole, Wesley Jones, Joe Albany, Argonne "Sadik Hakim" Thornton, Gene DiNovi, Jimmy Bunn (piano); Irving Ashby, Fred Lacey, Nasir Barakaat, Chuck Wayne, Dave Barbour (guitar); Red Callender, Curtis Counce, Rodney Richardson, Ted Briscoe, Curly Russell, Junior Rudd (bass); Henry Tucker, Johnny Otis, Chico Hamilton, Lyndell Marshall, Roy Haynes, Tiny Kahn (drums).Producers: Norman Granz, Leonard Feather.Reissue producer: Michael Cuscuna.Recorded in Los Angeles, California; Chicago, Illinois; New York, New York between July 15, 1942 and December 29, 1947. Includes liner notes by Leonard Feather.

homepage_large.e73b04b0.jpg

Nigerian Electronica with some out-of-tune horns. Interesting and danceable.

JVCXR-0050-Large_zps6a7372e2.jpg

Kelly Blue -- XRCD

Wynton Kelly Trio & Sextet

1959/1989 Riverside/JVC Music

Originally cut for Riverside, this set mostly features the influential pianist Wynton Kelly in a trio with his fellow rhythm section mates from the Miles Davis bands, bassist Paul Chambers and drummer Jimmy Cobb. 'Kelly Blue' and 'Keep It Moving' add cornetist Nat Adderley, flutist Bobby Jaspar and the tenor of Benny Golson to the band for some variety. The CD reissue augments the program with a previously unreleased 'Do Nothin' Till You Hear from Me' and the alternate take of 'Keep It Moving.' Kelly was renowned as an accompanist, but as he shows on a set including three of his originals and four familiar standards (including 'Softly, As in a Morning Sunrise' and 'Willow Weep for Me'), he was also a strong bop-based soloist too. A fine example of his talents. [Originally released in 1959, JVC Victor reissued Kelly Blue on a Japanese import-only CD in 2002; Riverside also reissued an import-only CD in 2003.] ~ Scott Yanow, All Music Guide

1. Kelly Blue
2. Softly, As In A Morning Sunrise
3. Do Nothin' Till You Hear From Me
4. On Green Dolphin Street
5. Willow Weep For Me
6. Keep It Moving (take 4)
7. Keep It Moving (take 3)
8. Old Clothes

Wynton Kelly (piano); Bobby Jaspar (flute); Benny Golson (tenor saxophone); Nat Adderley (cornet); Paul Chambers (bass); Jimmy Cobb (drums).Original producer: Orrin Keepnews.Reissue producer: Akira Taguchi.Recorded in New York on February 19, 1959. Originally released on Riverside (1142).Digitally remastered by JVC using XRCD (extended resolution compact disc).

61IOyY4ZN%2BL.jpg

Layla and other assorted love songs -- 24k Gold CD

Derek and The Dominos

1970/1993 MOFI Ultradisc II

The greatest guitar album of the rock era, November 10, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Derek and the Dominos/Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs (Audio CD)

If you only know this album from hearing "Layla" on the radio, then your first question after hearing this will be: "Why don't they play the rest of it?" Even if you are sick of "Layla", this album is a treasure chest of searing pain songs, caused by Eric Clapton being dumped by Patti Harrison, wife of Beatle George. Even the relatively hookless tunes like "Keep On Growing" and "Anyday" get over on sheer desperate passion. Plenty of guitarists can make their instrument scream, but only Clapton, on "Bell Bottom Blues", had ever made it sob. This was Clapton's absolute peak--all the power and virtuosity of his Cream years are encapsulated here, cast in a personal blues tone that anticipates almost everything he ever did thereafter. Duane doesn't suck either. If you can, read the 1985 interview with Clapton in Rolling Stone. He relates how the band was all nodded out on drugs the entire time. Do _not_ try this at home; they are trained professionals!
Side one

1. "I Looked Away" (Eric Clapton, Bobby Whitlock) – 3:05
2. "Bell Bottom Blues" (Clapton) – 5:02
3. "Keep on Growing" (Clapton, Whitlock) – 6:21
4. "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out" (Jimmy Cox) – 4:57

Side two

1. "I Am Yours" (Clapton, Nezami) – 3:34
2. "Anyday" (Clapton, Whitlock) – 6:35
3. "Key to the Highway" (Charles Segar, Willie Broonzy) – 9:40

Side three

1. "Tell the Truth" (Clapton, Whitlock) – 6:39
2. "Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad?" (Clapton, Whitlock) – 4:41
3. "Have You Ever Loved a Woman" (Billy Myles) – 6:52

Side four

1. "Little Wing" (Jimi Hendrix) – 5:33
2. "It's Too Late" (Chuck Willis) – 3:47
3. "Layla" (Clapton, Jim Gordon) – 7:05
4. "Thorn Tree in the Garden" (Whitlock) – 2:53

CJVC_0052__6413__01152009112029-901_zpsd473cf40.jpg

Bridge -- XRCD

Hiroko Kokubu

1997 JVC Music

Often on instrumental releases, the listing of a well-worn pop standard like "Bridge Over Troubled Water" would mean yet another watered down elevator music take. But pianist Hiroko Kokubu's multi-genre, take-the-basic-chords-and-run approach epitomizes the free-for-all spirit of Bridge. A thick, machine generated funk groove and Tom Coster's Hammond B-3 forms a rock-blues base upon which Kokubu's wild, aggressively pounding improvisational twists bend the melody so far out of its usual shape, that she should almost get co-writing credit. She fuses many influences on her own tunes as well, most notably "Keep Home Alive," which rolls along as a lively samba with slower, thoughtful interludes before breaking for a flamenco guitar-led, hand clapping waltz. Then it returns to the samba groove but this time adds a jazz trio flavor and a splash of funk. Playing the melody on the harmonica soundalike instrument piannica, she enhances the next samba with thicker percussion and Andy Narell's always reliable steel pans. These remarkable tunes are so richly textured that the easy, mid-tempo smooth jazz tracks and the introspective, Eastern-flavored ballads - which are certainly pleasant enough - come off as a bit of a letdown. ~ Jonathan Widran

1. Catalina Island
2. Rudy's Dream
3. Bridge Over Troubled Water
4. Lullaby of Takeda
5. Essence
6. Lettin' Go
7. Keep Hope Alive
8. Baked Potato Man
9. Innocence of Spring
10. Our Story
11. Peranzzetta
12. Serenato

Personnel includes: Hiroko Kokubu, Alex Acuna, Abe Laboriel, Gary Herbig, Tom Coster, Tom Coster Jr.Personnel includes: Hiroko Kokubu, Alex Acuna, Abe Laboriel, Gary Herbig, Tom Coster, Tom Coster Jr.Digitally remastered by JVC using XRCD (extended resolution compact disc).

folder.jpg

The "Big Phat Band" recording above also has a "Zenph Re-Performance", Art Tatum on Track #4.

4a3581b0c8a03cdb74c0d110.L.jpg

Days of Future Passed -- Remastered CD

The Moody Blues with The London Festival Orchestra Conducted by Peter Knight

1967/1997 Deram/Decca Records

One of the best albums, January 27, 2008
By B. B. Bridenbaugh "KingNot" - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Days of Future Passed (Audio CD)

A musical album based around a day, and all its extrapolations. Youth to age, innocence to love, joy to sadness... In short, life expressed in a day. We've all heard parts of this played to excess, most notably Tuesday Afternoon and Knights in White Satin, but to truly be experienced this album should be played in its entirety.

Side one1.

The Day Begins: (5:50)

"The Day Begins" (Peter Knight & The Moody Blues) - (4:08)
"Morning Glory" (Graeme Edge) [unlisted track] - (1:42)

2. Dawn: (3:48)

(Intro) (Peter Knight) [unlisted track] - (0:38)
"Dawn is a Feeling" (Mike Pinder) - (3:10)

3. The Morning: (3:55)

(Intro) (Peter Knight) [unlisted track] - (0:21)
"Another Morning" (Ray Thomas) - (3:34)

4. Lunch Break: (5:33)

(Intro) (Peter Knight) - (1:53)
"Peak Hour" (John Lodge) - (3:40)

Side two

5. The Afternoon: (8:23)

"Forever Afternoon (Tuesday?)" (Justin Hayward) - (5:06)
"(Evening) Time to Get Away" (Lodge) [unlisted track] - (3:17)

6. Evening: (6:40)

(Intro) (Peter Knight) [unlisted track] - (0:38)
"The Sunset" (Pinder) - (2:39)
"Twilight Time" (Thomas) - (3:23)

7. The Night: (7:24)

"Nights in White Satin" (Hayward) - (5:38)
"Late Lament" (Graeme Edge) [unlisted track] - (1:46)

414S48XDXDL_zpsf3f69a10.jpg

The Great American Songbook - Live -- CD

Carmen McRae

1972 Atlantic Jazz

On this popular two-LP set, singer Carmen McRae interprets songs by Duke Ellington, Cole Porter, Michel Legrand, Warren & Dubin, Henry Mancini, and Jimmy Van Heusen, among others, but it is her rendition of a humorous Jimmy Rowles novelty ("The Ballad of Thelonious Monk") that is best remembered. Joined by pianist Rowles, guitarist Joe Pass, bassist Chuck Domanico, and drummer Chuck Flores, McRae had what was at the time a rare opportunity to record a live, spontaneous, jazz-oriented set. She sounds quite enthusiastic about both her accompaniment and the strong repertoire, which includes "At Long Last Love," "I Only Have Eyes for You," "Sunday," "I Cried for You," and "I Thought About You." ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Satin Doll
2. At Long Last Love
3. If the Moon Turns Green
4. Day by Day
5. What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life
6. I Only Have Eyes For You
7. Medley: Easy Living/Days of Wine and Roses/It's Impossible: Easy Living / The Days Of Wine And Roses / It's Impossible
8. Sunday
9. Song For You, A
10. I Cried For You
11. Behind the Face
12. Ballad of Thelonious Monk, The
13. There's No Such Thing as Love
14. They Long to Be Close to You
15. Three Little Words
16. Mr. Ugly
17. It's Like Reaching For the Moon
18. I Thought About You

Back