• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Botch said:
1242546647_act-your-age.jpg

Wow!
When I opened this package up I saw there were two disks, one was "CD" and the other "DVD Video". Since I was in the kitchen most of the morning creating culinary voodoo I threw in the CD. Tonight I dropped in the DVD, which i figured would have a filmed live performance, or maybe interviews, "behind-the-scenes", etc.
No! Its a 5.1 mix of the album! There is video for each song, but its just brief liner notes and then defaults to a screen shot. But the Surround mix is incredible!
I LOVE big-band music, having grown up on it at home and playing trombone from Jr High "stage band" thru college jazz band. Sadly, the economics of the music industry just don't allow for much of it anymore; there's Lincoln Mayorga's Boss Brass, the Dave Weckl records, and these guys, not much else (even Maynard Ferguson had pared his touring group down to the bone in his last years :( ).
This is, as far as I know, the only big-band Surround recording in my collection, in fact the only one I know of. The guest list ain't too shabby either: Eric Marienthal, Patti Austin, Lee Ritenour, Art Tatum (via Zenph "Re-Performance"), Chick Corea (Senor Mouse!), Dave Grusin, Nate East, Andy Martin, etc.
Very Highly Recommended! :banana-rock: :banana-rock: :music-rockout: :text-bravo: :music-listening: :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers: :handgestures-thumbup:

^ Welcome to the club. Rope turned us on to Gordon and his multichannel goodness about 4, 5 or 6 years ago. Where you been?

Botch said:
Botch said:

Wow!
When I opened this package up I saw there were two disks, one was "CD" and the other "DVD Video". Since I was in the kitchen most of the morning creating culinary voodoo I threw in the CD. Tonight I dropped in the DVD, which i figured would have a filmed live performance, or maybe interviews, "behind-the-scenes", etc.
No! Its a 5.1 mix of the album! There is video for each song, but its just brief liner notes and then defaults to a screen shot. But the Surround mix is incredible!
I LOVE big-band music, having grown up on it at home and playing trombone from Jr High "stage band" thru college jazz band. Sadly, the economics of the music industry just don't allow for much of it anymore; there's Lincoln Mayorga's Boss Brass, the Dave Weckl records, and these guys, not much else (even Maynard Ferguson had pared his touring group down to the bone in his last years :( ).
This is, as far as I know, the only big-band Surround recording in my collection, in fact the only one I know of. The guest list ain't too shabby either: Eric Marienthal, Patti Austin, Lee Ritenour, Art Tatum (via Zenph "Re-Performance"), Chick Corea (Senor Mouse!), Dave Grusin, Nate East, Andy Martin, etc.
Very Highly Recommended! :banana-rock: :banana-rock: :music-rockout: :text-bravo: :music-listening: :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers: :handgestures-thumbup:

Thanks Botch, I ordered it. I have Gordon's "Phat Pack" and it is also a CD/DVD combo.

Great stuff. :bow-blue:

I think Rope turned me on to them years (and years) ago. :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Zing said:
^ Welcome to the club. Rope turned us on to Gordon and his multichannel goodness about 4, 5 or 6 years ago. Where you been?
So there's more multi-channel goodness, w00t! :banana-dance:
Good thing I'm getting ready for bed, that "Buy Now with One Click!" button gets bigger and bigger as the night goes on...

but, tomorrow.... :shifty:

kaleidoscope.jpg

Absolutely brilliant!!! These guys get better and better with every album. In fact, this small group of musicians has been churning out the most genius progressive rock I've ever heard. Between albums by Neal Morse, Transatlantic, Flying Colors, The Flower Kings, and their former bands like Spock's Beard and Dream Theater, this group of musicians is all I need to fulfill my regular desire for new amazing prog rock.

41d153a09da079e882a74110.L.jpg

The Complete Decca Recordings -- Remastered 3 CD Set

Count Basie

1992 GRP Records

COUNT BASIE: THE COMPLETE DECCA RECORDINGS is among the most compelling reissues to emerge from GRP's "The Legendary Masters Of Jazz" series--a vital component in any jazz collection. When it comes to that most elusive of jazz metaphors, swing, Count Basie wrote the book, and here for the first time, the complete Decca recordings are presented in the exact chronological order in which they were recorded.Basie's big band was very much an extension of his piano style, deeply rooted in stride and blues. On a piano feature like "Red Wagon" the sense of notes not played is every bit as strong as those Basie articulates, as Basie edits away all the extraneous elements and zeroes in on only the prettiest most swinging notes. Which is what made big band arrangements like "Swinging At The Daisy Chain," "John's Idea," "Jumpin' At The Woodside" and "One O'Clock Jump" so popular among dancers.Then there was Basie's famous "All-American Rhythm Section," which matched Basie's coy restraint with an uncanny cruise control of its own. They took the strong beat (1 & 3) and weak beat (2 & 4) accents of previous generations, and conjured up a modern 1-2-3-4 groove centered in Freddie Greene's insistent four-to-the-bar strumming, Walter Page's big earthy beat and Jo Jones' magical hi-hat pulse and uncanny accents. When the brass and reed sections dropped away to let the rhythm section stroll, this was something completely new in jazz.Finally there were the legendary soloists, each man a section unto himself. Lester "Prez" Young brought a new lightness of tone, an advanced harmonic conception, and a floating behind-the-beat groove to the tenor saxophone (dig his lyrical alchemy on "Out The Window" and "Cherokee"), changing our conception of that instrument forever. Then there was his stylistic foil, tenor man Hershel Evans, with his huge, burnished on-the-beat Coleman Hawkins style (hear him swing for dear life on "Topsy" and `battle' Young on "Time Out")

Track Listing
DISC 1: 1937:
1. Honeysuckle Rose
2. Pennies from Heaven
3. Swinging at the Daisy Chain
4. Roseland Shuffle
5. Exactly Like You
6. Boo-Hoo
7. The Glory of Love
8. Boogie Woogie (I May Be Wrong)
9. Smarty (You Know It All)
10. One O'Clock Jump
11. Listen My Children (And You Shall Hear)
12. John's Idea
13. Good Morning Blues - (1st Take)
14. Good Morning Blues - (2nd Take)
15. Our Love Was Meant to Be
16. Time Out
17. Topsy
18. I Keep Remembering
19. Out the Window
20. Don't You Miss Your Baby?
21. Let Me Dream

DISC 2: 1938:
1. Georgianna
2. Blues in the Dark
3. Sent for You Yesterday (And Here You Come Today)
4. Every Tub
5. Now Will You Be Good?
6. Swingin' the Blues
7. Mama Don't Want No Peas 'N' Rice 'N' Coconut Oil
8. Blue and Sentimental
9. Doggin' Around
10. Stop Beating Around the Mulberry Bush - (1st Take)
11. Stop Beating Around the Mulberry Bush - (2nd Take)
12. London Bridge Is Falling Down
13. Texas Shuffle
14. Jumpin' at the Woodside
15. How Long Blues
16. The Dirty Dozens
17. Hey Lawdy Mama
18. The Fives
19. Boogie Woogie
20. Dark Rapture
21. Shorty George
22. The Blues I Like to Hear
23. Children? Do You Wanna Jump
24. Panassie Stomp

DISC 3: 1939:
1. My Heart Belongs to Daddy
2. Sing for Your Supper
3. Oh! Red
4. Fare Thee Well - (1st Take) Fare Thee Honey
5. Fare Thee Well - (2nd Take) Fare Thee Honey
6. Dupree Blues
7. When the Sun Goes Down - (1st Take)
8. When the Sun Goes Down - (2nd Take)
9. Red Wagon
10. You Can Depend on Me
11. Pt. 1 - (part 1) Cherokee
12. Pt. 2 - (part 2) Cherokee
13. Blame It on My Last Affair - (1st Take)
14. Blame It on My Last Affair - (2nd Take)
15. Jive at Five
16. Thursday
17. Evil Blues
18. Lady Be Good Oh

Personnel: Count Basie (piano); Jimmy Rushing, Helen Humes (vocals); Eddie Durham (arranger, electric guitar, trombone); Caughey Roberts, Earl Warren (alto saxophone); Lester Young, Hershel Evans (tenor saxophone, clarinet); Chu Berry (tenor saxophone); Jack Washington (baritone & alto saxophone); Buck Clayton, Harry "Sweets" Edison, Shad Collins, Joe Keyes, Carl Smith, Ed Lewis, Bobby Moore, Karl George (trumpet); Dan Minor, Dicky Wells, Bennie Morton, George Hunt, (trombone); Freddie Greene, Claude Williams (acoustic rhythm guitar); Walter Page (acoustic bass); Jo Jones (drums).Recorded in New York between 1937-1939. The dates for the individual sessions are: January 21, 1937; March 26, 1937; July 7, 1937; August 9, 1937; October 13, 1937; January 3, 1938; February 16, 1938; June 6, 1938; August 22, 1938; November 9, 1938; November 16, 1938; January 5, 1939; Januray 26, 1939; February 2-4, 1939. COUNT BASIE: THE COMPLETE DECCA RECORDINGS comes with a 32-page booklet, featuring biographical and discographical information, a track-by-track breakdown of solos, and liner notes by Orrin Keepnews and Steven Lasker

5167YkOPzUL.jpg

Under A Woodstock Moon -- CD

David "Fathead" Newman

1996 Kokopelli Records

This Album Cooks! March 12, 2008
By Transfigured Knight
Format:Audio CD|Amazon Verified Purchase

"Under A Woodstock Moon" released on Kokopelli Records, which is record label owned by jazz flutist Herbie Mann, is a fine recording that displays the many facets of this powerfully lyrical jazz saxophonist/flutist. His smooth, warm saxophone tone is between Gene Ammons/Stan Getz/Ben Webster type of sound, but he has his own style and sound.

Newman is back by an excellent group of musicians: Brian Carrott on vibraphone, David Leonhardt on piano, Stephen Novosel on bass, and Winard Harper on drums. On some of the songs there are also a small string ensemble. Everybody plays with passion and lyricism. Quite simply: Newman has a knack for picking out the right musicians.

I would recommend this album to newer fans of Newman, but for those who are already fans you should really get this one! I would also try getting a copy of it as soon as possible, because it's out-of-print. There are alot of copies of this album floating around, but trust me when I say this, when you own this one you're not going to sell it. In fact, I'll wager you'll want to start checking out his other records.

Track Listing
1. Nature Boy
2. Amandla
3. Up Jumped Spring
4. Spring Can Really Hang You up the Most
5. Autumn in New York
6. Sky Blues
7. Another Kentucky Sunset
8. Summertime
9. Sunrise
10. A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square
11. Skylark
12. Under a Woodstock Moon

Personnel: David "Fathead" Newman (flute, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); Ronald Carbone, Charles Libove, Eugene J. Moye, Matthew Raimondi (strings); David Leonhardt (piano); Bryan Carrott (vibraphone); Winard Harper (drums).Audio Mixer: James Farber.Recording information: Quad Sound, New York, NY (06/15/1996-06/17/1996).Arrangers: David Leonhardt; Bob Freedman.

51VzFYlIijL.jpg

The King of The Tenor Sax 1929-1943 -- Remastered CD

Coleman Hawkins

2003 Allegro Jazz

Outstanding! A chronologically arranged core sample of the Hawk's progress from a notably able improviser to a fully developed archetypal saxophonist ready to assist with the birth and development of bebop. There are really four chapters in Hawkins' evolution. First come the adventures of a young sideman busily gigging throughout the 1920s, who gradually shone as a star of the Fletcher Henderson Orchestra but also played bass saxophone behind Ma Rainey. Chapter two finds the internationally acclaimed master of the tenor taking himself to Europe during the 1930s and returning with more sheer power and facility than ever. The rest of Hawkins' career would count as chapters three and four, spanning the years 1944 through 1966. More than two decades of maturity gave the world that marvelous autumnal Hawkins, always insistent upon being up to date, eventually sitting in with Monk, Coltrane, Max Roach, and Abbey Lincoln. This collection focuses upon chapter two, or Hawkins' early middle period. These historical performances are invariably exciting and fruitful. Hearing Hawkins percolating alongside Red McKenzie's buzzing paper and comb is an incongruous delight, enhanced by the presence of Pee Wee Russell, Pops Foster, and Gene Krupa. A pity listeners only get to hear one example of the Coleman Hawkins/Henry "Red" Allen Orchestra of 1933. The Fletcher Henderson recordings have apparently been put aside for inclusion in a different volume of this reissue series. (Even so, the Henderson sides are numerous enough that they probably could have included Hawkins' harmonically adventuresome "Queer Notions" on this disc without depleting the supply). Hearing Hawkins in leisurely duet performance with Bessie Smith's ace pianist Buck Washington is a treat not to be missed.The recordings made in France and Holland during 1935 and 1937 are fresh and stimulating. Note the positive energy generated by musicians from varying countries and ethnic backgrounds, working together in defiance of prevailing racist politics on the continent at that time. In 1935, Nazi laws barred Hawkins from performing in Germany, as he and his music were considered racially impure. As if to demonstrate the antithesis of Hitler's ideology, Hawkins made a mighty handful of hot records in the company of legendary gypsy guitarist Django Reinhardt.

Track Listing
1. Lola! Hello
2. One Hour (If I Could Be With You One Hour Tonight)
3. Jamaica Shout
4. On the Sunny Side of the Street
5. I Wish I Were Twins
6. Avalon
7. Honeysuckle Rose
8. Stardust
9. All Right Then Well
10. Body and Soul
11. Dinah
12. When Day Is Done
13. The Sheik of Araby
14. My Blue Heaven
15. Bouncing with Bean
16. Feedin' the Bean
17. Boff Boff (Mop Mop)
18. My Ideal
19. Stumpy
20. Crazy Rhythm
21. The Man I Love

Personnel: Coleman Hawkins (tenor saxophone); Coleman Hawkins; Jack Bland, Jack Pet, Lawrence Lucie, Bernard Addison (guitar); Eddie Condon (banjo); Andre Van Den Ouderaa (violin, clarinet, tenor saxophone); Wim Poppink (clarinet, alto saxophone, baritone saxophone); Hilton Jefferson (clarinet, alto saxophone); Andy Fitzgerald, Danny Polo (clarinet); Charles Lisee, Eustis Moore, Earle Warren, Jackie Fields, Andre Ekyan, Tab Smith (alto saxophone); Don Byas, Alix Combelle, Buddy Tate (tenor saxophone); Jack Washington (baritone saxophone); Henk Hinrichs, Ed Lewis, George Van Helvoirt, Harry "Sweets" Edison , Tommy Lindsay, Joe Guy, Al Killian, Noel Chiboust, Pierre Allier, Arthur Briggs, Buck Clayton (trumpet); Guy Paquinet, Dicky Wells, Glenn Miller, Glenn McGaha Miller, Marcel Thielemans, Earl Hardy, Dan Minor, Ed Cuffee (trombone); Count Basie, Gene Rodgers, Theo Uden Masman, Horace Henderson, Freddie Johnson, Buck Washington (piano); Oscar Pettiford, Artie Bernstein (double bass); Kees Kranenburg, Maurice Chailou, Arthur Herbert, Jo Jones , Tommy Benford, Walter Johnson (drums); Django Reinhardt, Freddie Green, Al Casey (guitar); Edmond Hall, Pee Wee Russell (clarinet); Benny Carter (alto saxophone, trumpet); Cootie Williams, Henry "Red" Allen, Bill Coleman (trumpet); J.C. Higginbotham (trombone); Eddie Heywood, Ellis Larkins, Joe Sullivan , Art Tatum, St‚phane Grappelli (piano); Lionel Hampton (vibraphone); Gene Krupa, Shelly Manne, Big Sid Catlett, Zutty Singleton (drums); Count Basie & His Orchestra.Audio Remasterer: Steve Pringle.Liner Note Author: Scott Yanow.Recording information: 11/14/1929-12/23/1943.

61NEulL664L.jpg

Porgy & Bess -- CD

Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong

1958/1988 Verve Records

Conducted by Russ Garcia.Includes liner notes by Lawrence D. Stewart and Norman Granz.Producer Norman Granz oversaw two Porgy & Bess projects. The first involved Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong, and came together during the autumn of 1957 with brassy big band and lush orchestral arrangements by Russ Garcia. This is the classic Verve Porgy & Bess, and it's been reissued many, many times. The second, recorded during the spring and summer of 1976 and issued by RCA, brought Ray Charles together with versatile British vocalist Cleo Laine, backed by an orchestra under the direction of Frank DeVol. A comparison of these two realizations bears fascinating fruit, particularly when the medleys of street vendors are played back to back. Those peasant songs, used in real life to purvey honey, strawberries, and crabs, were gathered and notated by George Gershwin and novelist Du Bose Heyward in 1934 during a visit to Folly Island, a small barrier island ten miles south of Charleston, SC, known today as Folly Beach. As Charleston Harbor had been one of the major ports during the importation of slaves from Africa, the waterfront was mostly populated by Gullahs, a reconstituted community that retained and preserved its ancestral cultures and languages to unusual degrees. Gershwin, who even learned to chant with the Gullah, absorbed the tonalities of the street cries he heard and wove them -- along with all of the other impressions stored within his sensitive mind -- into the fabric of his opera. What's really great about the Ella and Louis version is Ella, who handles each aria with disarming delicacy, clarion intensity, or usually a blend of both. Her take on "Buzzard Song" (sung 19 years later by Ray Charles) is a thrilling example of this woman's intrinsic theatrical genius. Pops sounds like he really savored each duet, and his trumpet work -- not a whole lot of it, because this is not a trumpeter's opera -- is characteristically good as gold. This marvelous album stands quite well on its own, but will sound best when matched with the Ray Charles/Cleo Laine version, especially the songs of the Crab Man, of Peter the Honey Man, and his wife, Lily the Strawberry Woman. ~ arwulf arwulf

Track Listing
1. Overture
2. Summertime
3. I Wants to Stay Here
4. My Man's Gone Now
5. I Got Plenty O' Nuttin'
6. Buzzard Song
7. Bess You Is My Woman Now
8. It Ain't Necessarily So
9. What You Want Wid Bess?
10. Woman Is a Sometime Thing, A
11. Oh, Doctor Jesus
12. Here Come De Honey Man / Crab Man / Oh Dey's So Fresh And Fine (Strawberry Woman)
13. There's a Boat Dat's Leavin' Soon For New York
14. Bess, Oh Where's My Bess?
15. Oh Lawd, I'm on My Way

JVCXR7955-Large_zps8ccaea0d.jpg

Audiophile Selections -- 20-Bit K2 XRCD2

Don Williams

2011 Premium/JVC Japan

Don Williams is a country singer whose straightforward vocals, soft tones, and imposing build earned him the nickname 'The Gentle Giant' of country music. Here is a compilation of some of his greatest hits including I'm Just A Country Boy, You're My Best Friend, Till The Rivers All Run Dry, Turn Out The Lights (And Love Me Tonight) and many more. Released on the high-resolution audiophile format known as XRCD, this CD is playable on all CD players.

1. I'm Just A Country Boy
2. Where Are You
3. When I'm With You
4. All I'm Missing Is You
5. You're My Best Friend
6. Till The Rivers All Run Dry
7. I'm Getting Good At Missing You
8. Turn Out The Lights (And Love Me Tonight)
9. Some Broken Hearts Never Mend
10. Don't You Think It's Time
11. My Woman's Love
12. Goodbye Isn't Really Good At All
13. It Must Be Love

419TFQ8FAKL_zps31168718.jpg

Suddenly It's Spring -- CD

Zoot Sims

1992 Pablo/OJC Records

This CD reissue of one of tenor-saxophonist Zoot Sims's final recordings adds a version of "Emaline" to the original program. Pianist Jimmy Rowles often co-stars on the date (with bassist George Mraz and drummer Akira Tana offering solid support). The lyrical repertoire emphasizes ballads and pretty melodies with the highpoints including such offbeat material as Woody Guthrie's "So Long," Sims's "Brahms...I Think," "In the Middle of a Kiss" and the more familiar "Never Let Me Go" and "Suddenly It's Spring." The melodic performances are quite warm, romantic and enjoyable, fine examples of subtle creativity. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Brahms...I Think
2. I Can't Get Started
3. MacGuffie's Blues
4. In the Middle of a Kiss
5. So Long (It's Been Good to Know Yuh)
6. Never Let Me Go
7. Suddenly It's Spring
8. Emaline - (bonus track)

Personnel: Zoot Sims (tenor saxophone); Jimmy Rowles (piano); George Mraz (bass); Akira Tana (drums).Recorded May 1983.

51bWIa%2BYMaL.jpg

Quietly There -- 20-bit K2 XRCD

Zoot Sims plays Johnny Mandel

1984/1993 Pablo/JVC Records

Norman Granz's idea to match Zoot Sims' lyrical, swinging tenor sax with Johnny Mandel's equally arresting compositions was a masterful one. Sims' tart, alternately lush and furious solos were wonderfully spotlighted on such tunes as "Cinnamon and Cloves," "Emily" and "Zoot." The six-tune session, recently issued on CD, also contains effective piano solos from Mike Wofford. The date's tour-de-force was its final selection, the wonderful "Low Life," which Sims probed, illuminated and ultimately redefined via his solo. ~ Ron Wynn

1. Cinnamon and Cloves
2. A Time For Love
3. Zoot
4. Quietly There
5. Emily
6. Low Life

Musicians:
Zoot Sims, tenor saxophone
Mike Wofford, piano
Chuck Berghofer, bass
Nick Ceroli, drums
Victor Feldman, percussion

61hbflhuDyL.jpg

Impressions of Curtis Mayfield -- CD

Jazz Soul Seven

2012 BFM Jazz

Curtis Mayfield wasn't quite like anyone else, whether it was penning and singing the timeless hits of the Impressions ("It's All Right," "Move On Up," "I'm So Proud," "Keep On Pushing," "People Get Ready," "Gypsy Woman") or writing, arranging, and singing the sturdy, elegant funk explorations of his solo years ("Freddie's Dead," "Superfly"), he was always his own message to the world. This wonderful set features seven already accomplished jazz musicians (guitarist Phil Upchurch, drummer Terri Lynne Carrington, bassist Bob Hurst, trumpet player Wallace Roney, saxophonist Ernie Watts, keyboardist Russ Ferrante, and percussionist Master Henry Gibson) re-imagining some of Mayfield's classic compositions in a jazz ensemble setting. Calling itself Jazz Soul Seven, this remarkably versatile and fluid group of musicians has created a beautifully balanced and nuanced tribute to Mayfield, with classics like "People Get Ready," already a majestic recording in the original version by the Impressions, stretching in shining new directions. Mayfield had jazz elements in his own recordings from the start, so this set seems like an easy extension of his initial soundscapes, smooth, easy, and with an onward rhythmic energy. ~ Steve Leggett

Track Listing
1. Freddie's Dead
2. It's All Right
3. Move On Up
4. We're a Winner
5. Superfly
6. Beautiful Brother of Mine
7. Check Out Your Mind
8. I'm So Proud
9. Keep On Pushing
10. People Get Ready
11. Gypsy Woman
12. Amen

Personnel: Phil Upchurch (guitar); Ernie Watts (saxophone); Wallace Roney (trumpet); Russ Ferrante (piano); Terri Lyne Carrington (drums); Master Henry Gibson (percussion).Audio Mixer: Tom Luekens.Liner Note Author: A. Scott Galloway.Recording information: The Bakery, North Hollywood, CA.Photographer: Markus Cuff.Arranger: Phil Upchurch.

KGrHqJlgFJi2h1Gg-BSeRlv3i4w60_3_zps0866c9a3.jpg

Hell Freezes Over -- Remastered 20-Bit K2 XRCD2

Eagles

1994/2000 Geffin/Universal Hong Kong - JVC (Import Japan)

The Eagles' first newly recorded album in 14 years gets off to a good start with the rocker "Get Over It," a timely piece of advice about accepting responsibility, followed by the tender ballad "Love Will Keep Us Alive," the country-styled "The Girl From Yesterday," and "Learn to Be Still," one of Don Henley's more thoughtful statements. Hell Freezes Over contains an EP's worth of new material followed by a live album.

1. Get Over It
2. Love Will Keep Us Alive
3. The Girl From Yesterday
4. Learn To Be Still
5. Tequila Sunrise
6. Hotel California
7. Wasted Time
8. Pretty Maids All In A Row
9. I Can't Tell You Why
10. New York Minute
11. The Last Resort
12. Take It Easy
13. In The City
14. Life In The Fast Lane
15. Desperado

Don Felder - lead guitars, steel guitar, slide guitar, vocals, mandolin
Glenn Frey - guitars, piano, keyboards, vocals
Don Henley - drums, guitars, percussion, vocals
Timothy B. Schmit - bass guitar, vocals
Joe Walsh - lead guitars, slide guitar, organ, vocals

Additional personnel

John Corey - piano
Scott Crago - percussion, drums
Timothy Drury - keyboards, vocals
Stan Lynch - percussion
Jay Oliver - organ, keyboards, piano
Paulinho Da Costa - percussion
Gary Grimm - percussion
Brian Matthews - electro-theremin
Al Garth - trumpet on "New York Minute"
Burbank Philharmonic Orchestra - backup on "New York Minute"

I don't typically listen in 5.1, but decided to give it a try with this one and OMG--------> :scared-eek:

......... :bow-blue: ............... :text-bravo:

41TS8EeT8kL.jpg

Lifecycle -- Hybrid SACD

Yellowjackets featuring Mike Stern

2008 Heads Up

According to some basic, undeniable laws of nature, when two powerful forces collide, something explosive will occur, and a dramatic transformation is likely to take place as a result. It’s a law that applies to every dynamic in the known universe, including jazz.

It stands to reason, then, that when a formidable jazz quartet like the Yellowjackets convenes in the studio with a high-energy guitar virtuoso like Mike Stern, the resulting reaction will be a singular event – one that’s likely to create something entirely new on the jazz landscape.

This phenomenon is captured on Lifecycle (HUCD 3141), the new collaborative recording by the Jackets and Stern set for worldwide release on Heads Up International a division of Concord Music Group on May 20, 2008. The first Yellowjackets recording in 15 years to feature a guitar player, Lifecycle illustrates the kind of energy and creative brilliance that results when five talented players pool their individual talents as songwriters and musicians and merge into an entity that’s far greater than the sum of its parts.

Features:
• 5 channel Surround
• DSD

Selections:
1. Falken's Maze
2. Country Living
3. Double Nickel
4. Dreams Go
5. Measure of a Man
6. Yahoo
7. I Wonder
8. 3 Circles
9. Claire's Closet
10. Lazaro

Yellowjackets: Bob Mintzer (clarinet, soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone); Russell Ferrante (piano, keyboards, percussion); Jimmy Haslip (electric bass); Marcus Baylor (drums, percussion).

2467e03ae7a0191ac697d110.L.jpg

Garfunkel -- CD

Art Garfunkel

1988 Columbia Records

1970's classic, August 4, 2007
By Gary Selikow (Great Kush) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Garfunkel (Audio CD)

Art Garfunkel has a far better voice than Paul Simon, and I actually prefer Garfunkel's solo work to Simon's.
This album showcases the best of Garfunkel's folkesque light rock, with some real gems.
My favourites include the laidback Breakaway (1975), the beautiful and haunting Bright Eyes (1979), the pop love song (What A) Wonderful World (1977), the exquisite All I Know (1973)(one of my all time favourite songs) with it's incredible piano work, the old blues hit I Only Have Eyes For You and the gentle A Heart In New York (1981).
This is a must have for any lover of good music, and a classic of 1970's music.

"When a Man Loves a Woman (Percy Sledge) - 4:30
"Break Away" (Benny Gallagher, Graham Lyle) –3:31
"Bright Eyes" (Mike Batt) –3:55
"(What a) Wonderful World" (Herb Alpert, Sam Cooke, Lou Adler) - 3:29
"All I Know" (Jimmy Webb) –3:48
"Scissor Cut" (Jimmy Webb) –3:52
"I Only Have Eyes For You" (Al Dubin, Harry Warren) –3:40
"So Much in Love" (George Williams, Bill Jackson, Roy Straigis)- 2:24
"99 Miles From L.A." (Albert Hammond, Hal David) –3:28
"Second Avenue" (Tim Moore) - 2:46
"A Heart in New York" (Benny Gallagher, Graham Lyle) –3:10
"I Have a Love" - 4:29