• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

What a great album. :handgestures-thumbup: Here is the original album cover of Willie's first album.....

377376_1_f_zpsa16d18a1.jpg

Here is the reissue Cee Dee......

71niLF6dypL_zps73ce03a7.jpg

...and then I wrote -- Reissue CD

Willie Nelson

1962/2013 Liberty/Hallmark-Pickwick

an understated masterpiece
October 13, 2003
By J. Kruppa
Format:Audio CD

Willie Nelson recorded these songs in 1961 and 1962 for Liberty Records under the supervision of producer Joe Allison, who wisely took a chance on the unknown Nelson and launched the career of one of the greatest writers in any style of music.
This is simply an amazing collection. The original version of Patsy Cline's signature tune "Crazy" is here (the Cline arrangement was reproduced almost note for note from Nelson's record) but every song is of equal quality and shines with the same brilliance of conception. Ironically, the punch of some of these songs is due at least in part to Nelson's restrained delivery; nearly all of these songs have been recorded by other artists, but I'll take these versions any time for the little twists that Nelson gives them. The arrangements are reserved but absolutely dead-on, reflecting producer Allison and session arranger Harold Bradley's decision to "stay the hell out of the way," as Bradley put it, and just let Nelson sing. The two guitars, bass, drums, piano and male and female background singers create the atmosphere and let Nelson's lyrics and idiosyncratic phrasing take center stage. The result is a peerless songwriter's album and, while it's a scant thirty minutes in length, it's so perfect that you'll have no problem listening to it twice.
All these songs are also on the 2CD set "Willie Nelson The Early Years: The Complete Liberty Recordings plus more," which makes available other songs from these same sessions as well as a great deal more. If you have that set, my best advice is to make a CD or tape of these 12 songs in order, sit back and enjoy one of the best albums of Nelson's (or anyone's) career. This is really as good as it gets.

Track Song title Writer(s) Time
1. "Touch Me" Willie Nelson 2:12
2. "Wake Me When It's Over" Willie Nelson 2:48
3. "Hello Walls" Willie Nelson 2:23
4. "Funny How Time Slips Away" Willie Nelson 3:02
5. "Crazy" Willie Nelson 2:50
6. "The Part Where I Cry" Willie Nelson 2:18

Side two

Track Song title Writer(s) Time
1. "Mr. Record Man" Willie Nelson 2:10
2. "Three Days" Willie Nelson 2:33
3. "One Step Beyond" Willie Nelson 2:20
4. "Undo the Right" Hank Cochran, Nelson 2:56
5. "Darkness on the Face of the Earth" Willie Nelson 2:19
6. "Where My House Lives" Willie Nelson 2:24

:text-goodpost:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

We were chilling after a rehearsal, watching the TV and drinking beer; I can't even remember which band, what state or even what decade, and that very early Willie came on the TV, clean-cut, black-n-white and singing.
We all sat up and stared, we KNEW that voice but we couldn't figure out who he was! What a shocker! :laughing-rolling:

I need to search EweTube and find one of those early videos, what a hoot!

(and, it must be noted, that "Very Early Willie" WBAGNFARB!!! :handgestures-thumbup: )

Today's work truck music...

d2f4793509a0919d804b7110.L.jpg

The Road To Ensenada -- CD

Lyle Lovett

1996 MCA Records

Amazon.com essential recording

After the more experimental themes and misanthropic bit players populating his prior album, I Love Everybody, the songs on this superb 1996 set return to the more affable, earnest, but still knotty balance established by Lyle Lovett on his first four albums. He spins amiable yarns about his preferred headgear ("Don't Touch My Hat") and larger-than-life love objects (the one-eyed "Fiona"), sways hilariously through the backfired seductions of the samba-paced "Her First Mistake," and swings buoyantly through "That's Right (You're Not from Texas)," then ropes the equally droll Randy Newman into a tongue-in-cheek duet on "Long Tall Texan." In between, he sneaks a fresh string of dark love songs ("Private Conversation," "I Can't Love You Anymore") that sustain his formidable standards. Forget the forced issue of his putative ties to "new country": Lovett is simply one of the best American singer-songwriters extant, whether playing raconteur, philosopher king, or wounded romantic. --Sam Sutherland

All songs composed by Lyle Lovett except as noted.

"Don't Touch My Hat" – 3:47
"Her First Mistake" – 6:28
"Fiona" – 4:09
"That's Right (You're Not from Texas)" (Lovett, Ramsey, Rogers) – 4:54
"Who Loves You Better" – 4:46
"Private Conversation" – 4:32
"Promises" – 3:07
"It Ought To Be Easier" – 4:11
"I Can't Love You Anymore" – 3:14
"Long Tall Texan" (Henry Strzelecki) – 3:27
"Christmas Morning" – 3:43
"The Road To Ensenada" – 10:12
"The Girl in the Corner" -- hidden at the end of track 12, following 1:30 of silence

Botch said:
:text-goodpost:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

We were chilling after a rehearsal, watching the TV and drinking beer; I can't even remember which band, what state or even what decade, and that very early Willie came on the TV, clean-cut, black-n-white and singing.
We all sat up and stared, we KNEW that voice but we couldn't figure out who he was! What a shocker! :laughing-rolling:

I need to search EweTube and find one of those early videos, what a hoot!

(and, it must be noted, that "Very Early Willie" WBAGNFARB!!! :handgestures-thumbup: )

Great story, it's a different lookin' Willie than we are use to seeing. :think:

Dennie

Dennie said:
127302f.jpg

Take It From The Top -- CD

Bob James Trio - James Genus - Billy Kilson

Enjoying this one a lot. Great musicianship. SQ is excellent, and I love how the drums are made "big" - across the whole soundstage behind both piano and bass, rather than being more narrowly focused on one side as is common with many jazz recordings. Really showcases Kilson's awesomeness.

When the post loss occurred recently, I believe Pauly suggested this CD after I posted that I was listening to 'Don't Explain'. I enjoyed that, but I feel a better vibe from his suggestion, which we do in fact own. Imagine that! :D

bethjoe2013idws.jpg

I really like the first tune. 'Them There Eyes'. I feel it had a ragtime groove.

a33b793509a09c6e62952110.L.jpg

Mr. Lucky -- CD

John Lee Hooker

1991 Pointblank Records

Product Description

Released in 1991 on Pointblank/Virgin, this audiophile treat finds the 'Hook in some very special company. Co-producers Roy Rogers, Ry Cooder and Carlos Santana (who all contribute musically on this title as well) persuaded the likes of Albert Collins, Robert Cray, John Hammond, Johnnie Johnson, Van Morrison, Keith Richards, Nick Lowe and Johnny Winter among others to join in and the result is one terrific record. This original analog recording is beautifully recorded and a highlight to the ump-teenth rejuvenation in the 'Hooks career.

Except where otherwise noted, all songs composed by John Lee Hooker.

"I Want to Hug You" (Hooker, Al Smith) – 2:52
"Mr. Lucky" (Hooker, Al Smith) – 4:38
"Back Stabbers" (Hooker, Smith) – 5:01
"This Is Hip" – 3:23
"I Cover the Waterfront" – 6:39
"Highway 13" – 6:32
"Stripped Me Naked" (Hooker, Benny Rietveld, Carlos Santana, Chester Thompson) – 4:18
"Susie" – 4:23
"Crawlin' King Snake" (Tony Hollins, Bernard Besman, Hooker) – 3:20
"Father Was a Jockey" – 4:58

Kenny Baker – saxophone
Gaylord Birch – drums
Bowen Brown – drums
Albert Collins – guitar
Tom Compton – drums
Ry Cooder – guitar
Richard Cousins – bass
Robert Cray – guitar, vocals
Maurice Cridlin – bass
Steve Ehrmann – bass
Terry Evans – vocals
Jeff Ganz – bass
William "Bill" Greene – vocals
Jim Guyet – bass
John Hammond, Jr. – harmonica, slide guitar
Kevin Hayes – drums
John Lee Hooker – guitar, vocals
Johnnie Johnson – piano
Booker T. Jones – organ
Deacon Jones – organ
Tim Kaihatsu – guitar
Jim Keltner – drums
Bobby King – vocals
Nick Lowe – bass
Scott Mathews – drums
Van Morrison – guitar, vocals
Michael Osborn – guitar
Karl Perazzo – timbales
Jimmy Pugh – organ
Raul Rekow – conga
Keith Richards – guitar
Benny Rietveld – bass
Carlos Santana – guitar
Larry Taylor – bass
Chester Thompson – keyboards
Johnny Winter – guitar

Today's work truck music....

0d63225b9da00ce0b05dd010.L.jpg

Deuces Wild -- CD

B.B. King

1997 MCA Records

This is B.B.'s celebrity duet album, and a straightahead blues album this is not. But longtime fans who are aware of King's genre-stretching capabilities will find much to savor here. Kicking off with B.B. playing some beautiful fills and solo work behind Van Morrison on "If You Love Me," the superstars start lining up to jam with the King, with Tracy Chapman ("The Thrill Is Gone"), Eric Clapton (a funkified "Rock Me Baby"), the Rolling Stones ("Paying the Cost to Be the Boss," with a fine harp solo from Mick Jagger), Willie Nelson (his "Nightlife," long a standard in B.B.'s set list), Bonnie Raitt ("Baby I Love You") and Marty Stuart ("Confessin' the Blues") all turning in fine efforts.

1. If You Love Me - (with Van Morrison)

2. Thrill Is Gone, The - (with Tracy Chapman)

3. Rock Me Baby - (with Eric Clapton)

4. Please Send Me Someone to Love - (with Mick Hucknall)

5. Baby I Love You - (with Bonnie Raitt)

6. Ain't Nobody Home - (with D'Angelo)

7. There Must Be a Better World Somewhere - (with Dr. John)

8. Confessin' the Blues - (with Marty Stuart)

9. Paying the Cost to Be the Boss - (with The Rolling Stones)

10. Dangerous Mood - (with Joe Cocker)

11. Keep It Coming - (with Heavy D)

12. Cryin' Won't Help You - (with David Gilmour/Paul Carrack)

13. Night Life - (with Willie Nelson)

818Pk2Vv-kL_zps36655804.jpg

Live At The Lighthouse -- OMR CD

The Modern Jazz Quartet

1967/???? MFSL

This fairly obscure LP by the Modern Jazz Quartet features fresh material and improvisations that are both swinging and creative. Pianist John Lewis' "The Spiritual" and "Baseball," along with vibraphonist Milt Jackson's "Novamo" and "For Someone I Love," comprise half the program, and it is Jackson's influence that seems to be the weightier one here. Jackson and the MJQ always rose to the challenge of a crowd. There are also excellent ballad renditions of "The Shadow of Your Smile" and "What's New." The bluesier side of the band is what's mostly on display here, and the MJQ plays up to its usual level. This set remained unreleased on CD domestically until 2004 when Wounded Bird -- which in 2002 also reissued the brilliant Modern Jazz Quartet disc originally released in 1957 -- put it on the street. Really, none of the classic group's recordings should be passed by. ~ Scott Yanow & Thom Jurek

"The Spiritual" (John Lewis) - 6:00
"Baseball" (Lewis) - 4:03
"The Shadow of Your Smile" (Johnny Mandel, Paul Francis Webster) - 5:32
"Intima" (Miljenko Prohaska) - 4:12
"Novamo" (Milt Jackson) - 5:58
"For Someone I Love" (Jackson) - 5:02
"What's New?" (Bob Haggart) - 6:14

Milt Jackson - vibraphone
John Lewis - piano
Percy Heath - bass
Connie Kay - drums

^-- holy crap, I didn't know they had a new one. So ordered!

51YU96-wFpL.jpg

Bringin' IT Home -- CD

Brother Jack McDuff

1999 Concord Music

1999's Bringin' It Home is a welcome surprise from the killer organist Jack McDuff, whose '90s work was largely devoid of the energy and wit of the classic albums that had made his name. McDuff invites two members of his old crew to the session, saxophonist Red Holloway and guitarist George Benson, who had first made his name playing with McDuff in the '60s. Benson, in particular, sounds revitalized by the association, playing with more spunk than he's managed in years. A couple of decades' worth of crossover jazz will take the fire out of anyone's playing, but Benson's solo on Eddie Harris' "Cold Duck Time" is a marvel of funky economy that sounds like Steve Cropper with hot jazz chops. The other key member of McDuff's classic lineup, the late drummer Joe Dukes, is remembered with McDuff's sweet and playful tribute "Moohah! Joe Dukes." Simply recorded, sounding like it was cut live in the studio, Bringin' It Home sounds bracingly direct, and though it doesn't rank with McDuff's best work, it's a sight better than anyone could have expected at such a late date. ~ Stewart Mason

Track Listing
1. Cold Duck Time
2. The Scratch
3. Girl Talk
4. After Hours
5. This Masquerade
6. A Time for Love
7. Moohah! Joe Dukes
8. Summertime
9. Pettin' the Cat

Personnel: Jack McDuff (Hammond B-3 organ); Andrew Beals (alto saxophone); Red Holloway, Jerry Weldon (tenor saxophone); John Hart, George Benson, Mark Whitfield (guitar); Frank Gravis (bass); Rudy Petschauer, Grady Tate (drums).Recorded at Sound On Sound, New York, New York on August 15 & 16, 1998. Inludes liner notes by Bill Milkowski.

queen_night_opera_bra.png

Three audio formats: Stereo, 5.1 PCM Uncompressed and 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio.

Very highly recommended!

Very Highly boughted! :text-thankyoublue: :text-thankyoublue: :text-thankyoublue:

Zing said:
queen_night_opera_bra.png

Three audio formats: Stereo, 5.1 PCM Uncompressed and 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio.

Very highly recommended!

Although I wasn't in the theater when Zing was listening to this, I heard it. Very awesome! Looking forward to hearing this from the center seat.

41VxQPHAU1L._SS500_.jpg

Hasten Down The Wind -- 24k Gold OMR CD

Linda Ronstadt

2010 Mofi Ultradisc II #2905

WELL ROUNDED ALBUM, June 6, 2003
By Pieter "Toypom" (Johannesburg) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)

This review is from: Hasten Down the Wind (Audio CD)

This is probably Linda Ronstadt's most accomplished and beautiful album in its refreshing variety of styles and well chosen material. Her version of the gospel-reggae classic Rivers Of Babylon is closer to that of The Melodians than Boney M and she does a stunning cover of Buddy Holly's That'll Be The Day. The buoyant pop song Give One Heart has an addictive hook and is performed with gusto, while the Spanish ballad Lo Siento Mi Vida is soulful and moving, the perfect vehicle for bringing out the tender side of her voice. Other beautiful ballads include the title track, Someone To Lay Down Beside Me and If He's Ever Near. Ronstadt's flexible voice blends perfectly with all of these styles to ensure a cohesive sound and a very enjoyable listening experience after all these years. Anyone who appreciates crossover country, contemporary folk or pop-rock will enjoy this classic album of melodic songs. I discovered Ronstadt, Rita Coolidge and Emmylou Harris at the same time in the 1970s and have remained a fan ever since. It's a pity Coolidge and Ronstadt have not been as consistently prolific as Harris.

1. "Lose Again" (Karla Bonoff) - 3:34
2. "The Tattler" (Ry Cooder, Russ Titelman, Washington Phillips) - 3:56
3. "If He's Ever Near" (Karla Bonoff) - 3:15
4. "That'll Be the Day" (Jerry Allison, Buddy Holly, Norman Petty) - 2:32
5. "Lo Siento Mi Vida" (Linda Ronstadt, Kenny Edwards, Gilbert Ronstadt) - 3:54
6. "Hasten Down the Wind" (Warren Zevon) - 2:40
7. "Rivers of Babylon" (Brent Dowe, Trevor McNaughton, S. McNaughton) - 0:52
8. "Give One Heart" (John Hall, Johanna Hall) - 4:07
9. "Try Me Again" (Linda Ronstadt, Andrew Gold) - 3:59
10. "Crazy" (Willie Nelson) - 3:58
11. "Down So Low" (Tracy Nelson) - 4:08
12. "Someone to Lay Down Beside Me" (Karla Bonoff) - 4:28

51uIeBb3MYL.jpg

But Beautiful -- Remastered CD

The Bill Evans Trio Featuring Stan Getz

1974/1996 Milestone Records

BUT BEAUTIFUL's blend of Evans's introspective piano and Getz's velvety tenor saxophone, backed by Evans's long-term trio members, bassist Eddie Gomez and drummer Marty Morell, results in a romantic, exuberant take on the material. The album was recorded live at the Laren International Jazz Festival in Holland and Jazz Middelheim in Belgium during the summer of 1974, where the infrequent collaborators created a magical sound. Especially radiant are the ballads, "But Beautiful," which was reportedly one of Evans's favorite songs, and Jimmy Rowles's haunting "The Peacocks." "Stan's Blues," however, belongs entirely to Getz, with the faintest piano chords at the beginning and then not a sound from Evans. Legend has it that Getz introduced the song without having rehearsed it with Evans, and that the pianist sat stony-faced throughout, with his hands off the keyboard. "Lover Man" suffers for its glossiness, but "Funkallero" makes it clear what kind of wild energy is possible from this group.

Track Listing
1. Grandfather's Waltz
2. Stan's Blues
3. But Beautiful
4. Emily
5. Lover Man
6. Funkallero
7. The Peacocks
8. You and the Night and the Music
9. See-Saw
10. The Two Lonely People

Personnel: Bill Evans (piano); Stan Getz (tenor saxophone); Eddie Gomez (bass); Marty Morell (drums).Engineers: Tinus Bruyn, Cees Van Der Gragt.Recorded live at The Singer Concertzaal, Laren, Holland on August 9, 1974 and Middelheim, Antwerp, Belgium on August 16, 1974. Includes liner notes by Helen Keane.Digitally remastered by Phil De Lancie (1996, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).

Back