• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

51XSGVTetoL._SS500_.jpg

...at Shelly's Manne-Hole, Hollywood, California -- CD

Bill Evans Trio

1963/1991 Riverside/Fantasy Records

Lesser known treasure..., April 1, 2005
By Larkenfield

I've heard a number of great Bill Evans albums over the years (great being his overall norm) and I was immediately attracted to this recording because Evans sounds so completely relaxed, laid-back and at ease at the piano, yet rises to the occasion with his sparkling, cascading technique when needed... In short, he seems to be having a good time and that usually means a good time for the listener... In addition, this is a beautifully balanced set with a satisfying blend of classics, ballads, and blues... all played in front of a modest but appreciative audience. I believe some of the magic is because of the warm acoustics at Shelly's Manne-Hole and a piano that seems to be capable of luscious sonorities and responds so well to Evan's superb touch. It seems like he really enjoyed playing it, and the feeling comes through his performance as he sounds so completely at home. This album plays well for active listening... or to set a sophisticated mood for an evening with someone special. I've enjoyed it countless times.

"Isn't It Romantic?" (Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart) – 4:37
"The Boy Next Door" (Ralph Blane, Hugh Martin) – 5:22
"Wonder Why" (Nicholas Brodszky, Sammy Cahn) – 5:15
"Swedish Pastry" (Barney Kessel) – 5:45
"Our Love Is Here to Stay" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) – 4:46
"'Round Midnight" (Thelonious Monk, Cootie Williams) – 8:54
"Stella by Starlight" (Ned Washington, Victor Young) – 4:57
"All the Things You Are" (Oscar Hammerstein II, Jerome Kern) – 5:44
"Blues in F" – 8:44

Botch said:
Very Highly boughted!
You will not be disappointed.

I had very high expectations for this. So high, in fact, I was almost certain to be disappointed. Thankfully, that was not the case.

51SQSHZVFEL.jpg

Under The Jasmin Tree -- Remastered CD

The Modern Jazz Quartet

1968/1993 Apple Records

A more unlikely match of artists and label you will rarely find -- the dignified, classically influenced, indelibly Afro-American Modern Jazz Quartet and the Beatles' Apple Corps, Ltd. But Apple in its Rocking '60s heyday was one of the most daringly eclectic labels on the scene, and as the sole jazz act on the roster, the MJQ was given complete artistic freedom, with no electric guitars or period psychedelia apart from the misleading cover art. The program is more or less standard, poised, painstakingly structured, gently swinging MJQ fare, the group's contrapuntal interplay as telepathic as ever. The most distinctive of John Lewis' compositions is the revolving minor-key theme of "Three Little Feelings, Pt. 1" (part of a three-movement suite), while "The Blue Necklace" has a bell going off like that of a cash register, and Milt Jackson is clearly in his element on the gospel-ish "The Jasmin Tree." An extremely rare LP even when it was in print -- the Beatles' rock audience ignored it, and MJQ's fans couldn't find it. [ The CD was released in 1993 as part of EMI's extensive Apple reissue series.] Review by Richard S. Ginell

All compositions by John Lewis.

Side one

"The Blue Necklace" – 4:52
"Three Little Feelings (Part I)" – 3:48
"Three Little Feelings (Part II)" – 4:59
"Three Little Feelings (Part III)" – 5:18

Side two

"Exposure" – 9:17
"The Jasmin Tree" – 5:10

Milt Jackson - vibraphone
John Lewis - piano
Percy Heath - bass
Connie Kay - drums

Dennie said:
_57_zpsac7cd4d8.jpg

'S Wonderful -- SACD

Bill Charlap Trio

1998/2014 Venus Records (Import Japan)

Breakthrough Album from Jazz Pianist Bill Charlap and His Trio!

Before the talented pianist Bill Charlap went "major" with the Blue Note label, he was discovered by Venus Records and the Japanese audience. This "debut" album of Charlap, released in 1999, was an enormous hit and became an instant classic.

Deeply rooted in the tradition of jazz and with tremendous knowledge and respect for the American songbook, Charlap's piano playing is lyrical, fantastic and powerful. This album may not dazzle you with apparent "newness," but the beauty of melody, sound, and deep swing will move you and make you smile. The great New York rhythm section, bassist Peter Washington and drummer Kenny Washington, contributes with great performances as well.

"Best known for his work with Gerry Mulligan and later Phil Woods during the 1990s, pianist Bill Charlap was clearly developing rapidly on his own record dates. Beginning with a crisp rendition of "Time After Time," Charlap, with a formidable rhythm section of bassist Peter Washington and drummer Kenny Washington, explores a nice mix of standards and jazz classics...The sound on this studio date is so intimate that it sounds as if the listener is sitting right next to the piano." -Ken Dryden, allmusic.com

Features:
• Single Layer Stereo SACD

Musicians:
Bill Charlap, piano
Peter Washington, bass
Kenny Washington, drums

Selections:
1. Time After Time
2. My Shining Hour
3. The Blue Room
4. Boy, What Love Has Done To Me
5. Isfahan
6. Lover
7. Something To Live For
8. 'S Wonderful
9. Summer Serenade
10. Only The Lonely

I'm giving this one a second spin. The Sound Quality is just the best! :text-bravo:

Dennie

516TCYjpTIL.jpg

Back In New York -- CD

Scott Hamilton With The Bill Charlap Trio

2005 Concord Jazz

Journeyman tenor saxophonist Scott Hamilton keeps things light and swinging on Back in New York. Bringing to mind a mix of Dexter Gordon and Ben Webster, Hamilton has always displayed an unerring classicist aesthetic, and this album is no exception. Featuring the deft rhythm section of pianist Bill Charlap, bassist Peter Washington, and drummer Kenny Washington, Back in New York is a template for what solid modern mainstream jazz should sound like. To these ends, Hamilton kicks things into gear with a sprightly take on "What Is This Thing Called Love," nudges his way through a tasty samba version of "Love Letters," and keeps thing warm and fuzzy on "This Is Always." ~ Matt Collar

Track Listing
1. What Is This Thing Called Love?
2. Wonder Why
3. Blue 'n' Boogie
4. I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face
5. Lullaby of the Leaves
6. Fine and Dandy
7. Bouncing with Bud
8. Love Letters
9. This Is Always
10. I've Just Seen Her

Personnel: Scott Hamilton (saxophone, tenor saxophone); Peter Washington (double bass); Bill Charlap (piano); Kenny Washington (drums).Audio Mixer: Phil Edwards .Liner Note Author: Peter Straub.Recording information: Nola Studios, New York, NY (09/09/2004-09/10/2004).Photographer: Lisa Stein.

61L35tIgQDL._SS500_.jpg

40 Greatest Hits -- 2 CD Box Set

Hank Williams

1978/1990 Mercury Records

Amazon.com essential recording

With a legend like Hank, than man who largely dragged country music into the modern age, the question is how do you pick just 40 of his songs? There were the immediately obvious biggies like "Hey Good Lookin'," "Jambalaya," and "Move It On Over," but almost everything was a gem in one way or another. Whether this collection is the greatest hits or not will depend on the listener, but for anyone with even the slightest curiosity about country music, it's essential listening. Hank was a landmark of the genre, and to hear him is to understand how country could change from rural to urban. Essential listening for everyone. --Chris Nickson

Disc one

"Move It on Over"
"A Mansion on the Hill" (Fred Rose/Hank Williams)
"Lovesick Blues" (Cliff Friend/Irving Mills) (*)
"Wedding Bells" (Claude Boone)
"Mind Your Own Business"
"You're Gonna Change (Or I'm Gonna Leave) "
"Lost Highway" (Leon Payne)
"My Bucket's Got a Hole in It"
"I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry"
"I Just Don't Like This Kind of Living"
"Long Gone Lonesome Blues"
"My Son Calls Another Man Daddy" (Hank Williams/Jewell House)
"Why Don't You Love Me"
"Why Should We Try Anymore"
"They'll Never Take Her Love from Me" (Leon Payne)
"Moanin' the Blues"
"Nobody's Lonesome for Me"
"Cold, Cold Heart"
"Dear John" (Tex Ritter/Aubrie Gass)
"Howlin' at the Moon"

Disc two

"I Can't Help It (If I'm Still in Love with You)"
"Hey, Good Lookin'"
"Crazy Heart" (Maurice Murray/Fred Rose)
"(I Heard That) Lonesome Whistle" (Jimmie Davis/Hank Williams)
"Baby, We're Really in Love"
"Ramblin' Man"
"Honky Tonk Blues"
"I'm Sorry for You My Friend"
"Half as Much" (Curley Williams)
"Jambalaya (On the Bayou)"
"Window Shopping" (Marcel Joseph)
"Settin' the Woods on Fire" (Ed G. Nelson/Fred Rose)
"You Win Again"
"I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive" (Hank Williams/Fred Rose)
"Kaw-Liga" (*)
"Your Cheatin' Heart"
"Take These Chains from My Heart" (Fred Rose/Hy Heath)
"I Won't Be Home No More"
"Weary Blues from Waitin'"
"I Saw the Light"

51AKzlD9HZL.jpg

ILLUSIONS -- CD

Eliane Elias

1987 Nippon/Columbia/Denon (Import Japan)

Eliane Elias' debut as a leader (she had been a member of Steps Ahead) finds her abandoning the electric keyboards in favor of acoustic piano. On seven songs she is joined by bassist Eddie Gomez and either Al Foster or Steve Gadd on drums; the remaining two selections feature her accompanied by bassist Stanley Clarke and drummer Lenny White. With harmonica great Toots Thielemans making guest appearances on two numbers, Elias was at the time easily the least-known of the players on her own CD. However the pianist was already far along toward developing her own sound as she shows on four originals, two obscurities, Herbie Hancock's "Chan's Song," Blossom Dearie's "Sweet Georgia Fame" and the standard "Falling in Love with Love." A fine start to a significant solo career. ~ Scott Yanow

1 Choro 4:38 Written-By - Amilton Godoy
2 Through The Fire 6:05 Written-By - David Foster , Tom Keane
3 Illusions 7:09
4 Moments 5:53
5 Falling In Love With Love 6:23 Written-By - Lorenz Hart , Richard Rodgers
6 Iberia 10:26
7 Loco Motif 5:41
8 Sweet Georgia Fame 5:43 Written-By - Blossom Dearie
9 Chan's Song 6:18 Written-By - Herbie Hancock , Stevie Wonder

51814BAT35L._SS500_.jpg

Healing Hands of Time -- CD

Willie Nelson

1994 Liberty Records

Willie Nelson has crossed the borderline between musical genres countless times over his illustrious career. Initially he precipitated a rebellion against those who would dictate what a country record was supposed to sound like. Now fully established in country music as both a songwriter and a singer--having personally defined the outlaw sound--he broke through to the pop market in the late '70s with his mega hit STARDUST, a luminous collection of standards.

In a way, the lush orchestral charts of Nelson's nostalgic HEALING HANDS OF TIME mark a return to the clarity and wisdom of STARDUST, the big difference being that more than half of these standards are classics penned by Nelson himself--songs so imbued with lyrical craftmanship and emotional urgency that they can stand proudly next to the work of America's most esteemed songwriters.

Nelson's wistful classic of longing, loss and betrayal, "Funny How Time Slips Away," became a phenomenal single for Joe Hinton; the same goes for "Crazy," which was Patsy Cline's biggest hit. Both songs receive tender, forlorn readings from Nelson, goosed along by the gentle urgings of a 60-piece orchestra. Nelson offers a definitive reading of "Night Life," which is to Willie what "One For My Baby (And One More For The Road)" is to Sinatra, while his poignant title tune tugs at the heartstrings like Hank Williams. And his earnest interpretations of "All The Things That You Are" and "I'll Be Seeing You" are the stuff dreams are made of.

Track Listing:

1. "Funny How Time Slips Away" - 5:30
2. "Crazy" - 3:30
3. "Night Life" - 3:56
4. "Healing Hands of Time" - 3:45
5. "(How Will I Know) I'm Falling in Love Again" - 4:14
6. "All the Things You Are" - 2:51
7. "Oh, What I Seemed to Be" - 3:21
8. "If I Had My Way" - 3:23
9. "I'll Be Seeing You" - 3:02
10. "There Are Worse Things Than Being Alone" - 4:08

41YsMq28NxL.jpg

Angel Band -- CD

Emmylou Harris

1987 Warner Bros. Records

On this 1987 recording, Emmylou Harris focuses on country ballads with a Christian bent. Many traditional songs arranged by Harris are heard here, including "If I Be Lifted Up," "Bright Morning Stars," "We Shall Rise," "Drifting Too Far," and the title track, "Angel Band." Songs by Paul Kennerly and Ralph and Carter Stanley are also featured.Lyrically, the songs on ANGEL BAND revolve around the pursuit of redemption, forgiveness, and joy in a world of heartbreak and loss. Musically, the group, consisting of country greats Vince Gill, Jerry Douglas, and Mark O'Connor among others, is sensitive, subtle and melodically compelling. The highlight of the album is the uplifting "When They Ring Those Golden Bells," which features fine instrumental work in addition to Harris's beautiful vocal performance.

Track Listing
1. Where Could I Go But to the Lord
2. Angel Band
3. If I Be Lifted Up
4. Precious Memories
5. Bright Morning Stars
6. When He Calls
7. We Shall Rise
8. Drifting Too Far
9. Who Will Sing For Me
10. Someday My Ship Will Sail
11. The Other Side of Life
12. When They Ring Those Golden Bells

Personnel: Emmylou Harris (vocals, guitar); Vince Gill (vocals, guitar, mandolin); Emory Gordy (vocals, guitar, bass); Carl Jackson (vocals, guitar);Mike Aldridge, Jerry Douglas (dobro); Mark O'Connor (fiddle, viola, mandola).Engineers include: Donivan Cowart, Joe Scaif, Paul Goldberg.Recorded at The Barn, Brentwood, Tennessee and The Music Mill, Nashville, Tennessee.

modernjazzq_dedicated_101b_zps67824242.jpg

Dedicated To Connie -- 2 CD Set

The Modern Jazz Quartet

1960/1995 Atlantic Records

Regarding this 1960 live date, recorded in Slovenia, group leader John Lewis writes in the album liner notes, "In my opinion, never before or since has the Modern Jazz Quartet played better, whether on stage or in the recording studio." That's quite a statement, but the performances herein give little cause for dispute. The MJQ's unique blend of elements is all here, including their chamber-music sensibility (which features a classical feel for the extended line, along with Ellingtonian themes and flourishes) fused with hard-bop aesthetics. Pianist Lewis, vibraphonist Milt Jackson, bassist Percy Heath, and drummer Connie Kay display true inspiration here.The two-disc set captures one of the most remarkable qualities of the group, and that is its ability to sound studied and precise, while maintaining melodic and rhythmic variation. A few standards ("'Round Midnight;" "How High the Moon") pepper this list of mostly originals, including Lewis's classic "Django" and Jackson's smooth-moving "Bag's Groove." The tapes from this remarkable concert were discovered during '95 in the months following Kay's death, and the album--a testament to the group's unique sound and chemistry--was released in Kay's memory.

Track Listing
DISC 1:
1. The Little Comedy: La Cantatrice / Harlequin / Fontessa
2. 'Round Midnight
3. Cylinder
4. Bag's Groove
5. Odds Against Tomorrow
6. It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
7. A Social Call

DISC 2:
1. Django
2. I Should Care
3. How High the Moon
4. Colombine / Pulcinella
5. Spanish Steps
6. Pyramid (Blues For Junior)
7. Milt Meets Sid
8. I Remember Clifford
9. Vendome
10. Skating in Central Park

Modern Jazz Quartet: John Lewis (piano); Milt Jackson (vibraharp); Percy Heath (bass); Connie Kay (drums).Recorded live in Ljubljana, Slovenia on May 27, 1960. Includes liner notes by John Lewis.

51ONWyBC0cL.jpg

The Red Door ...Remember Zoot Sims -- CD

Scott Hamilton & Bucky Piazarelli

1998 Concord Records

As of 1998, when this CD was released, Scott Hamilton had recorded over 30 albums as a leader for Concord. Although all are quite worthwhile, the swing tenor's consistency and unchanged style since the 1970s have resulted in a certain sameness and predictability to his recordings. This release, however, definitely stands apart from the crowd, for it is a set of tenor/guitar duets that Hamilton performs with Bucky Pizzarelli. A tribute to Zoot Sims (one of Hamilton's early influences), this is a very successful outing. Pizzarelli's mastery of the seven-string guitar allows him to play basslines behind solos, so one never misses the other instruments. Although the duo performs a variety of standards, there are also some lesser-known pieces among the highlights including the title cut, Al Cohn's "Two Funky People," the Sims/Cohn collaboration "Morning Fun," and the obscure "In the Middle of a Kiss." Both Hamilton and Pizzarelli sound inspired in this format, stretching themselves while always swinging. Pizz had recorded a duo album with Sims back in 1973, and Zoot also cut a full set with guitarist Joe Pass a couple years later. This excellent, slightly offbeat outing is on the same level as those two and is highly recommended to fans of swinging mainstream jazz. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. It Had to Be You
2. Ain't I Good to You Gee Baby
3. The Red Door
4. Dream of You
5. Jitterbug Waltz
6. Two Funky People
7. Just Me Just You
8. In the Middle of a Kiss
9. Morning Fun
10. It's All Right With Me

Personnel: Scott Hamilton (tenor saxophone); Bucky Pizzareli (acoustic & electric guitars).Recorded at Giant Recording Studios, New York, New York on March 22, 1995. Includes liner notes by Wayne Thompson.

519i75XfTVL.jpg

Zoot Sims and the Gershwin Brothers -- SACD

1990/2003 Pablo/Concord Records

Along with his album with Count Basie (Basie and Zoot) during the same period, this is one of Sims' most exciting recordings of his career. Greatly assisted by pianist Oscar Peterson, guitarist Joe Pass, bassist George Mraz, and drummer Grady Tate, he explores ten songs written by George and Ira Gershwin. Somehow the magic was definitely present and, whether it be stomps such as "The Man I Love," "Lady Be Good," and "I Got Rhythm" or warm ballads (including "I've Got a Crush on You" and "Embraceable You"), Zoot Sims is heard at the peak of his powers. A true gem. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. The Man I Love
2. How Long Has This Been Going On?
3. Lady Be Good Oh
4. I've Got a Crush on You
5. I Got Rhythm
6. Embraceable You
7. 'S Wonderful
8. Someone to Watch over Me
9. Isn't It a Pity?
10. Summertime
11. They Can't Take That Away from Me

Personnel: Zoot Sims (tenor saxophone); Oscar Peterson (piano); Joe Pass (guitar); George Mraz (acoustic bass); Grady Tate (drums).Originally released on Pablo (2310-744).

51OjEHopqKL.jpg

From A to Z... -- Remastered CD

Al Cohn/Zoot Sims Sextet

1956/1999 RCA Victor Records

Brothers in sound and twins of swing, Al Cohn and Zoot Sims command styles that blend together well. The great Lester Young, whose tone was light and airy and whose improvisational skills were marked by even, flowing melodic lines, influenced both saxophonists. Cohn and Sims employ similarly lyrical and mellifluous phrases on FROM A TO Z. But these two tenor players add elements of bebop to the signature swing-era riffs that made Young famous.The influence of bebop can be heard on tunes such as the title track and "Sandy's Swing." The playing on these tracks is faster, with more surprises and a drier, more biting sound quality. In contrast, tracks such as "A New Moan" and "East of the Sun (and West of the Moon)" are more firmly routed in swing. Drummer Osie Johnson rides on the hi-hat, creating a relaxed bounce, while trumpeter Dick Sherman soliloquizes over the top in a soft and delicate tone. A pleasant mix of swing and bebop, FROM A TO Z finds Cohn, Sims, and company rendering graceful and elegant versions of jazz compositions that are delightful but otherwise obscure.

Track Listing:
1. Mediolistic
2. Crimea River
3. A New Moan
4. A Moment's Notice
5. My Blues
6. Sandy's Swing
7. Somebody Loves Me
8. More Bread
9. Sherm's Terms
10. From A To Z
11. East Of The Sun (And West Of The Moon)
12. Tenor For Two Please, Jack
13. My Blues Alternate Take
14. More Bread Alternate Take
15. Tenor For Two Please, Jack Alternate Take
16. Somebody Loves Me Alternate Take

This 1999 reissue contains four bonus tracks not included on the original release.Personnel: Al Cohn, Zoot Sims (tenor saxophone); Dick Sherman (trumpet); Dave McKenna, Hank Jones (piano); Milt Hinton (bass); Osie Johnson (drums).Recorded at Webster Hall, New York, New York on January 23-24, 1956.All tracks have been digitally remastered.

41nai7pFOXL.jpg

Dub Side of The Moon -- CD

Easy Star All-Stars

2003 Easy Star Records

An incredible reinvention of the original May 14, 2005
By David Bock
Format:Audio CD|Amazon Verified Purchase
Dark side of the moon, remade, Reggae style. And it works. Second for second the same, but different, and it even claims to be 'Wizard of Oz Compatible'.

Unfortunately, the best song from this remake is not on the samples provided by Amazon - the 'Speak to Me' transitions into 'Breathe', with its familiar but Reggae feel, the experience is absolutely surreal - worth buying the album for that experience alone - especially if you are a real fan of Pink Floyd.

As a whole, the reggae feel fits on top of the themes from Dark Side of the Moon naturally - you can easily forget what the 'original' sounds like, because you begin to think it should have sounded like this the first time around. The album has its moments though where the singer just becomes... annoying, and it goes a little over the top. Normally with an album like Dark Side, I would just get lost in the audio experience, almost meditative. While this happens with this version, the annoying singer 'pulls me out' of that a couple of times. There are just a couple of those moments though, and the do not spoil the entire experience. Prevents it from getting a '5' though.

Track Listing
1. Speak to Me/Breathe (In the Air)
2. On the Run
3. Time
4. The Great Gig in the Sky
5. Money
6. Us and Them
7. Any Colour You Like
8. Brain Damage
9. Eclipse

BONUS TRACKS:
10. Time Version
11. Great Dub in the Sky
12. Step It Pon the Rastaman Scene
13. Any Dub You Like

Easy Star All Stars: Corey Harris, Frankie Paul, Gary "Nesta" Pine, Dr. Israel, Ranking Joe (vocals); Michael Goldwasser (guitar); Victor Axelrod (melodica, piano, electric piano, Clavinet, synthesizer, percussion); Victor Rice (electric bass, upright bass); Patrick Dougher (drums).Additional personnel: Jenny Hill (saxophone); Michael Wagner (trombone); Wayne Wiggum (electric bass); Eddie Ocampo, Larry McDonald (percussion); Tamar-Kali (background vocals).Recorded at Noise NY, Mount Vernon, New York; Mike Stand Killer Studios, Funky Slip Studios and Zion Studios Brooklyn, New York; 401 Studios and Hot Sound, New York, New York. Includes liner notes by Lem Oppenheimer.

51oWNWYJOqL._SS500_.jpg

Cooling Off -- CD

Galactic

1996 Sony Music

After listening to Galactic's 1996 debut release, Coolin' Off, it's hard to believe that the band isn't comprised of seasoned funk veterans. Instead of showing off their instrumental chops at every given opportunity, the members of Galactic play as an ensemble, who know when to step back and let their soulful music groove and breath on its own. Vocalist Theryl de Clouet is only featured on a few of the album's tracks ("Something's Wrong With This Picture," "Everybody Wants Some -- Part 3," etc.), but his voice often steals the show when it's featured. The majority of Coolin' Off consists of funky instrumentals with a sound straight out of the '70s, but the band knows how to mix it up and avoid monotony. The opening "Go Go" is a good example of Galactic's sound: a prominent bassline is merged with horns and wah-wah guitar, while an organ creates a memorable melody. Other groove-oriented tracks include "Funky Bird," "Stax Jam," "Doo Rag," and "Church." Coolin' Off is an excellent debut from a band that is destined for great things. ~ Greg Prato

Track Listing
1. Go Go
2. Welcome to New Orleans
3. Something's Wrong with This Picture
4. Funky Bird
5. Stax Jam
6. Church
7. On the One
8. Mystery Tube
9. Doo Rag
10. Percussion Interlude
11. Everybody Wants Some, Pt. 1
12. Everybody Wants Some, Pt. 2
13. Everybody Wants Some, Pt. 3
14. Goodnight

Happy St. Patrick's Day....

9536828fd7a0d6a70e9a0110.L.jpg

Anam -- CD

Clannad

1992 Atlantic Records
Gaelic "Soul", July 25, 2001
By
Sharon E. Cathcart "Why, yes, I am an author" (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

This review is from: Anam (Audio CD)

In Irish Gaelic, "Anam" means "soul" or "essence." That spirit certainly comes through on this album by Ireland's Clannad. From the ethereal "Theme From Harry's Game" (originally recorded for an earlier album, "Magical Ring") to "In A Lifetime" (a duet between Maire Brennan and U2's Bono), this album evokes emotion with each track. The first time I heard "Harry's Game," I found myself moved to tears - without even knowing what the words meant. Maire's voice has *that* much power. This is an essential for any Celtic music fan's collection.

Track Listing
1. Rí Na Cruinne - (Irish Gaelic)
2. In a Lifetime
3. Anam
4. In Fortune's Hand
5. Poison Glen, The
6. Wilderness
7. Harry's Game - (from "Patriot Games")
8. Why Worry?
9. Uirchill an Chreagáin - (Irish Gaelic)
10. Love and Affection
11. You're the One
12. Dobhar

51RWS3JPHRL.jpg

River of Dreams - The Very Best of... -- CD

Hayley Westenra

2008 Decca Records (EU Import)

Having replaced Charlotte Church as the world's favorite teenage soprano, New Zealander Hayley Westenra now releases her first retrospective at the tender age of 21. While the U.K.-focused River of Dreams: The Very Best Of may seem a tad premature, it does provide an opportunity to prove to those yet to succumb to the charms of her crystal-clear and pleasantly airy operatic voice that she's not just another cynical and manufactured classical pop puppet content to sing whatever's placed in front of her. Showcasing an independence and maturity well beyond her years, the 17-track compilation, which ignores the early material only released in her homeland and instead focuses on the three Decca classical chart-topping studio albums (in addition to three new tracks), features an array of songs personally chosen by Westenra, such as the traditional Maori tune "Now Is the Hour [Po Atarau/Haera Ra]" and Irish folk ballad "Danny Boy," both nods to her ancestor's roots, covers of songs by artists as diverse as composer Karl Jenkins (The Armed Man's "Benedictus"), Enya (The Fellowship of the Ring soundtrack number "May It Be"), and Fleetwood Mac (Rumours album track "Songbird"), and an original composition, the string-soaked new age of "Summer Rain," which suggests she can add accomplished songwriter to her list of many talents. A representative overview of her five-year major-label career, there are five tracks apiece from her 2003 debut, Pure, including New Zealand love song "Pokarekare Ana" and lyrical adaptations of Winter from Vivaldi's Four Seasons ("River of Dreams") and Ravel's Pavane ("Never Say Goodbye"), and 2005 sophomore Odyssey, including her duet with Andrea Bocelli ("Dell'amore Non Si Sa") and rendition of Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now," while four tracks make the cut from 2007 follow-up Treasure, including traditional folk songs "Shenandoah" and "The Water Is Wide." River of Dreams has appeared a little too early to be considered as a definitive collection, but it's a charming and enchanting collection of classical pop pieces that serves as a solid introduction to Westenra's abilities, and promises an interesting and glittering career ahead. ~ Jon O'Brien

Album Tracks

1. Pokarekare Ana
2. River of Dreams
3. Dell' Amore
4. Shenandoah
5. Water is Wide
6. Songbird
7. Both Sides Now
8. Ave Maria
9. Benedictus
10. Amazing Grace
11. Danny Boy
12. Summer Rain
13. Never Say Goodbye
14. O Mio Babbino Caro
15. May it Be
16. Ave Maria (Bach/Gounod)
17. Now Is The Hour

Today's work truck music....

43969833e7a0db074aee2110.L.jpg

Sunshine On Leith -- CD

The Proclaimers

1988 Chrysalis Records

Sunshine on Leith is The Proclaimers' second and best known album, released in August 1988. The album had three singles, including the title track, "I'm On My Way," and "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)," which also became a hit following its inclusion on the soundtrack to Benny & Joon five years later in 1993. It is about their birthplace, Leith, and the title track Sunshine on Leith is played by Hibernian F.C. at the beginning of matches.

All Songs Written By Craig & Charlie Reid, except where noted.

"I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" – 3:33
"Cap in Hand" – 3:24
"Then I Met You" – 3:50
"My Old Friend the Blues" – 3:06 (Steve Earle)
"Sean" – 3:23
"Sunshine on Leith" – 5:16
"Come on Nature" – 3:34
"I'm on My Way" – 3:45
"What Do You Do?" – 3:38
"It's Saturday Night" – 3:24
"Teardrops" – 2:32
"Oh Jean" – 5:55

Back