• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

HOLLY COLE

I've been listening to her pop-jazz via Spotify today.

I looked her up because a review I read had mentioned the upright bass from her song called "Train Song". Some of it ain't half bad. Maybe more jazz than pop. Unfortunately, Spotify doesn't have any live albums from her; but if one does exist I might have to buy the CD. There is one live song on her hits album and it sounds good. Such a nice voice.

Kazaam said:
HOLLY COLE

I looked her up because a review I read had mentioned the upright bass from her song called "Train Song". Some of it ain't half bad. Maybe more jazz than pop. Unfortunately, Spotify doesn't have any live albums from her; but if one does exist I might have to buy the CD. There is one live song on her hits album and it sounds good. Such a nice voice.

This is the one you want, it's and EP, which is an "Extended Play" single or partial CD. But it can be picked up used, at a reasonable price.....

51JOtpP75ML.jpg

Linky----> http://www.amazon.com/Happened-One-...id=1396130718&sr=1-4&keywords=Holly+Cole+Live

Dennie

6317e03ae7a0dd06c176e110.L.png

Worrisome Heart -- CD

Melody Gardot

2008 Verve Records

Product Description

". . . in a place where Billie Holiday meets Tom Waits . . . has moments that recall pieces of Nina Simone, early Rickie Lee Jones, and even the sophistication of Cole Porter. " - Business Week

Although there are elements of jazz, blues and folk in her music, it is simultaneously all of those things and none of them. Her engaging songs and sultry controlled vocals possess a timeless quality that places them in the tradition of the great female vocalists on Verve, whose work have also not been confined to any one genre or style.

1. Worrisome Heart
2. All That I Need Is Love
3. Gone
4. Sweet Memory
5. Some Lessons
6. Quiet Fire
7. One Day
8. Love Me Like a River Does
9. Goodnite
10. Twilight (Instrumental)

Dennie said:
Kazaam said:
HOLLY COLE

This is the one you want, it's and EP, which is an "Extended Play" single or partial CD. But it can be picked up used, at a reasonable price.....

51JOtpP75ML.jpg

Linky----> http://www.amazon.com/Happened-One-...id=1396130718&sr=1-4&keywords=Holly+Cole+Live

Dennie

Just ordered! They make it too easy to impulse these kind of purchases.

Kazaam said:
Dennie said:
Kazaam said:
HOLLY COLE

51JOtpP75ML.jpg

Dennie

Just ordered! They make it too easy to impulse these kind of purchases.

Especially if you are a "Prime" member. One click, two days! :angry-cussingblack:

....... :laughing-rolling:

I love my Prime Membership! :text-lol:

Dennie

a44251c88da0775a6b9fe110.L.jpg

Stickin' To My Guns -- CD

Etta James

1990 Island Records

Blues belter Etta James came off a long period of drug rehab to make a comeback in 1989 with her first post-Chess album, SEVEN YEAR ITCH, a roots-conscious recording for Island. The follow-up, STICKIN' TO MY GUNS, is quite a different affair. While James's singing style is unchanged, and as ferocious as ever, there's much more of a "contemporary" feel to the production, with aggressive beats, popping bass, digital-sounding recording, and even a guest rap interlude on one track. James would soon depart Island for Elektra.

Track Listing
1. Whatever Gets You Through the Night
2. Love to Burn
3. The Blues Don't Care
4. Your Good Thing (Is About to End)
5. Get Funky
6. Beware
7. Out of the Rain
8. Stolen Affection
9. A Fool in Love
10. I've Got Dreams to Remember

Personnel includes: Etta James (vocals); Gary Burnette, Leo Nocentelli, Reggie Young, Mabon "Teenie" Hodges, Danny Rhodes, Arik Marshall, Josh Sklair (guitar); David L. Patterson (tenor & baritone saxophones); Gene Dinwiddie (tenor saxophone); Fernando Pullum (trumpet); John Dewey McKnight (trombone); Jimmie Wood (harmonica); Jimmy Pugh (piano, keyboards); Barry Beckett (keyboards); Mike Lawler (synthesizer); Michael Rhodes, Bobby Vega (bass); Roger Hawkins (drums); Greg "Smacky" Donerson (percussion); Dobie Gray, Def Jef (background vocals).

61O-Ep4pFgL._SS500_.jpg

Abandoned Luncheonette -- CD

Daryl Hall & John Oates

1973 Atlantic Records

Best early Hall & Oates, September 11, 2000
By David Hugaert (Honolulu, HI United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Abandoned Luncheonette (Audio CD)

"Abandoned Luncheonette" features the kind of music at which Daryl & John are most adept-Philly Soul. All the songs here are excellent, with the cream of the crop being "When The Morning Comes", "Las Vegas Turnaround", "I'm Just A Kid (Don't Make Me Feel Like A Man)", the title track, "Lady Rain" and "Laughing Boy". "Everytime I Look At You" is the most soulful track on this CD, which has a "hillbilly" banjo and violin-laden instrumental at the end. This is probably as close to country that H & O ever got! This has to be the best CD in their entire catalog. Oh, and "Abandoned Luncheonette" also contains their first hit single, "She's Gone", which appeared on the Billboard charts on two separate occasions. If you are a fan of soul and/or pop music, you can't go wrong here. Please buy this CD!

"When The Morning Comes" (Daryl Hall) – 3:12
"Had I Known You Better Then" (John Oates) – 3:22
"Las Vegas Turnaround (The Stewardess Song)" (Oates) – 2:57
"She's Gone" (Hall, Oates) – 5:15
"I'm Just A Kid (Don't Make Me Feel Like A Man)" (Oates) – 3:20
"Abandoned Luncheonette" (Hall) – 3:55
"Lady Rain" (Hall, Oates) – 4:26
"Laughing Boy" (Hall) – 3:20
"Everytime I Look At You" (Hall) – 7:04

KGrHqJlgFJi2h1Gg-BSeRlv3i4w60_3_zps0866c9a3.jpg

Hell Freezes Over -- Remastered 20-Bit K2 XRCD2

Eagles

1994/2000 Geffin/Universal Hong Kong - JVC (Import Japan)

The Eagles' first newly recorded album in 14 years gets off to a good start with the rocker "Get Over It," a timely piece of advice about accepting responsibility, followed by the tender ballad "Love Will Keep Us Alive," the country-styled "The Girl From Yesterday," and "Learn to Be Still," one of Don Henley's more thoughtful statements. Hell Freezes Over contains an EP's worth of new material followed by a live album.

1. Get Over It
2. Love Will Keep Us Alive
3. The Girl From Yesterday
4. Learn To Be Still
5. Tequila Sunrise
6. Hotel California
7. Wasted Time
8. Pretty Maids All In A Row
9. I Can't Tell You Why
10. New York Minute
11. The Last Resort
12. Take It Easy
13. In The City
14. Life In The Fast Lane
15. Desperado

Don Felder - lead guitars, steel guitar, slide guitar, vocals, mandolin
Glenn Frey - guitars, piano, keyboards, vocals
Don Henley - drums, guitars, percussion, vocals
Timothy B. Schmit - bass guitar, vocals
Joe Walsh - lead guitars, slide guitar, organ, vocals

Additional personnel

John Corey - piano
Scott Crago - percussion, drums
Timothy Drury - keyboards, vocals
Stan Lynch - percussion
Jay Oliver - organ, keyboards, piano
Paulinho Da Costa - percussion
Gary Grimm - percussion
Brian Matthews - electro-theremin
Al Garth - trumpet on "New York Minute"
Burbank Philharmonic Orchestra - backup on "New York Minute"

Happy Sunday everyone.... :banana-dance:

41YsMq28NxL.jpg

Angel Band -- CD

Emmylou Harris

1987 Warner Bros. Records

On this 1987 recording, Emmylou Harris focuses on country ballads with a Christian bent. Many traditional songs arranged by Harris are heard here, including "If I Be Lifted Up," "Bright Morning Stars," "We Shall Rise," "Drifting Too Far," and the title track, "Angel Band." Songs by Paul Kennerly and Ralph and Carter Stanley are also featured.Lyrically, the songs on ANGEL BAND revolve around the pursuit of redemption, forgiveness, and joy in a world of heartbreak and loss. Musically, the group, consisting of country greats Vince Gill, Jerry Douglas, and Mark O'Connor among others, is sensitive, subtle and melodically compelling. The highlight of the album is the uplifting "When They Ring Those Golden Bells," which features fine instrumental work in addition to Harris's beautiful vocal performance.

Track Listing
1. Where Could I Go But to the Lord
2. Angel Band
3. If I Be Lifted Up
4. Precious Memories
5. Bright Morning Stars
6. When He Calls
7. We Shall Rise
8. Drifting Too Far
9. Who Will Sing For Me
10. Someday My Ship Will Sail
11. The Other Side of Life
12. When They Ring Those Golden Bells

Personnel: Emmylou Harris (vocals, guitar); Vince Gill (vocals, guitar, mandolin); Emory Gordy (vocals, guitar, bass); Carl Jackson (vocals, guitar);Mike Aldridge, Jerry Douglas (dobro); Mark O'Connor (fiddle, viola, mandola).Engineers include: Donivan Cowart, Joe Scaif, Paul Goldberg.Recorded at The Barn, Brentwood, Tennessee and The Music Mill, Nashville, Tennessee.

51n2PbHgPPL.jpg

The Gospel Collection -- 2 CD Set

George Jones Sings The Greatest Stories Ever Told

2003 Bandit/BMG Records

Although country icon George Jones had made gospel albums before this 2003 recording, both solo and with duet partner Tammy Wynette, this one bears a special significance. The two-disc set of spirituals marks the first time he'd tackled such material since an almost-fatal 1999 car accident. The mishap is said to have put him on spiritual notice, so to speak, and inspired this album (though he'd done some secular work in between). The arrangements, quite appropriately, steer clear of the customary gospel trappings and are squarely in the Billy Sherrill/classic Nashvile mold that suits Jones so well. The man's voice remains a marvel of tone and emotion, and hearing him lay into the likes of "Just a Closer Walk With Thee," "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms," and even the ubiquitous "Amazing Grace" is nothing short of heart-stopping. No other country singer can emotionally inhabit a song as fully as Jones, and hearing a lifelong hell-raiser try to mend his ways is doubly affecting.

Track Listing
DISC 1:
1. Amazing Grace
2. It Is No Secret
3. Just a Little Talk With Jesus
4. Where We'll Never Grow Old
5. Sweet Chariot Swing Low
6. Why Me Lord?
7. I'll Fly Away
8. Precious Memories - (featuring Patti Page)
9. Just a Closer Walk With Thee
10. In the Garden
11. Lonesome Valley
12. When Mama Sang (The Angels Stopped to Listen)

DISC 2:
1. Peace in the Valley
2. What a Friend We Have in Jesus
3. Softly and Tenderly
4. Lily of the Valley
5. The Old Rugged Cross
6. Leaning on the Everlasting Arms
7. Family Bible
8. Mansion Over the Hilltop - (featuring Vestal Goodman)
9. If I Could Hear My Mother Pray Again
10. How Beautiful Heaven Must Be
11. Jesus Hold My Hand
12. I Know a Man Who Can - (featuring Sheri Copeland/Barry "Frosty" Smith)

Personnel: George Jones (vocals, guitar); Bruce Atkins (acoustic guitar); Brent Mason, Reggie Young, J.T. Corenflos, John Willis (electric guitar); Paul Franklin, John Hughy (steel guitar); Glen Duncan (fiddle); Gary Prim (keyboards); Michael Rhodes (bass); Eddie Bayers (drums); Louis Nunley, Bergen White, Curtis Young, Mark Ivey, Ray Walker, Michael Black, Gordon Stoker, Millie Kirkum, Sheri Copeland, The Smith Family (background vocals).

1105501_zpsd737189a.jpg

Hymns We Love -- CD

The Mills Brothers

1999 MCA Records

Album Notes
The spiritual and inspirational melodies in this fine compilation gain from the beautiful harmonizing of the Mills brothers. The Brothers' deep and husky richness of tone is as warm-sounding as a church organ. On "Brighten the Corner Where You Are," "Holy, Holy, Holy," and "In the Sweet Bye and Bye," an otherworldly sound seems to descend upon the ears, in an almost divine experience. The group's light touch and moderately fast tempo gives "Bringing in the Sheaves" a joyous swing.The contemplative calm and sober faith of "Sweet Hour of Prayer" resonates with the Brothers' sonorous and dulcet vocal unity. They employ their varying vocal ranges to give an extra dimension and strength to the hymn's potent yet simple richness.

Track Listing
1. Brighten the Corner Where You Are
2. Old Rugged Cross, The
3. Holy, Holy, Holy
4. Sweet Hour of Prayer
5. In the Sweet By and By
6. Bringing in the Sheaves
7. In the Garden
8. Just a Closer Walk With Thee
9. Rock of Ages
10. Where You There When They Crucified My Lord?

51T9NKVqHJL.jpg

Everything Is Fine -- CD

Josh Turner

2007 MCA Nashville

Amazon.com
Josh Turner is the quintessential rising country star: a South Carolina native with a thrilling baritone voice and a penchant for wrapping it around heart-tugging songs of God, family, and community. On Everything is Fine, his follow-up to the double-platinum Your Man, Turner puts a more personal stamp on his message while still acknowledging his roots. He also reaches beyond his circle on a duet with r&b prince Anthony Hamilton on the latter's "Nowhere Fast," though the material doesn't precisely fit his image or his phrasing. Writing / co-writing seven of the 12 tracks, Turner particularly shines on the title song, in which a man takes stock of his life and finds it all to his liking. The affecting love ballad "Soulmate," is one of two songs he wrote with country titan John Anderson. There's room for nit-picking: "Another Try," which features Trisha Yearwood, doesn't make the best use of her mesmerizing gifts, while "Trailerhood" perpetuates every white trash stereotype. When he launches into a cover of the Johnny Horton classic "One Woman Man," however, he dutifully scrapes the bottom of his register on the chorus and playfully employs George Jones leaps on the verses, and all is forgiven. --Alanna Nash

1. Everything Is Fine
2. Firecracker
3. Another Try
4. So Not My Baby
5. Trailerhood
6. Baby, I Go Crazy
7. Nowhere Fast
8. The Longer The Waiting
9. One Woman Man
10. Soulmate
11. The Way He Was Raised
12. South Carolina Low Country

Alter Bridge - Fortress

Alter_Bridge_-_Fortress_album_cover.jpg

1. "Cry of Achilles"
2. "Addicted to Pain"
3. "Bleed It Dry"
4. "Lover"
5. "The Uninvited"
6. "Peace Is Broken"
7. "Calm the Fire"
8. "Waters Rising"
9. "Farther than the Sun"
10. "Cry a River"
11. "All Ends Well"
12. "Fortress"

51ZQO7S3xSL.jpg

Revelation Road -- CD

Shelby Lynne

2011 Everso Records

Since becoming an independent artist and founding her own label, Shelby Lynne's been on a tear. She released two albums in 2010: Tears, Lies and Alibis -- which became a Top Ten hit at Americana radio -- and a holiday collection entitled Merry Christmas. Revelation Road is the third album to appear on her Everso imprint. Lynne wrote, performed, and produced each of the album's 11 originals, including the pre-release title track, which was released on iTunes as a single on August 16, 2011. Revelation Road is the most intimate, immediate, and searing recording Lynne's offered to date.

Track Listing
1. Revelation Road
2. I'll Hold Your Head
3. Even Angels
4. Lead Me Love
5. The Thief
6. Woebegone
7. I Want to Go Back
8. I Don't Need a Reason to Cry
9. Toss It All Aside
10. Heaven's Only Days Down the Road
11. I Won't Leave You

756cc060ada08440f5fbc110.L.jpg

Temptation -- CD

Shelby Lynne

1995 Morgan Creek Records

Amazon.com

Only after leaving Nashville did Shelby Lynne reinvent herself as a soulful R&B singer. During her Music City days of the early '90s, she gained critical raves that didn't translate into wider success. One reason was this fetching 1993 Nashville-produced album of big-band Western swing, produced by Brent Maher, which appeared long before the words swing revival crossed anyone's lips. It revealed Lynne's assets in a stronger showcase than her earlier Epic recordings. She's radiant and sensual on the torchy "Little Unlucky at Love," but the uninhibited swing tunes, including her explosive performance of the title number, defined the album. She maintained that finger-popping momentum with "Some of That True Love" and "The Rain Might Wash Your Love Away." Lynne turned seductress on "Tell Me I'm Crazy" and honky-tonker on "I Need a Heart to Come Home To," the album's most overtly country number. Now that Lynne's gained wider exposure, it's worth remembering that pushing the envelope is nothing new for her. --Rich Kienzle

"Temptation" (Shelby Lynne, Brent Maher, Jamie O'Hara) – 3:04
"Feelin' Kind of Lonely Tonight" (Maher, O'Hara) – 3:00
"Tell Me I'm Crazy" (Rory Michael Bourke, Mike Reid) – 3:44
"Little Unlucky at Love" (Maher, O'Hara) – 3:01
"Some of That True Love" (Lynne, Maher, O'Hara) – 2:47
"The Rain Might Wash Your Love Away" (Maher, Don Potter, Don Schlitz) – 4:34
"Don't Cry for Me" (Maher) – 2:43
"I Need a Heart to Come Home To" (John Jarvis, Russell Smith) – 4:20
"Come a Little Closer" (Maher, O'Hara) – 3:15
"Where Do We Go from Here" (Maher, Potter, Reid) – 3:38

Just purchased the Great Gatsby Soundtrack (Deluxe) Edition
and Lana Del Rey Paradise after watching the Great Gatsby (Baz Luhrmann) last week.

Thorough enjoyment.

The DirtMerchant said:
Just purchased the Great Gatsby Soundtrack (Deluxe) Edition
and Lana Del Rey Paradise after watching the Great Gatsby (Baz Luhrmann) last week.

Thorough enjoyment.

I need to see that movie. Thanks for the reminder DM!

Dennie

Jerry-Douglas-Traveler.jpg

Traveler -- CD

Jerry Douglas (and friends)

2012 eOne Music

Jerry Douglas is the undisputed King of the Dobro, a musician with monster chops. He cut his teeth playing bluegrass with the Country Gentlemen, but he's equally adept at almost any kind of music and has played with the top jazz, pop, and country artists for almost 40 years. Traveler is another eclectic outing from an artist who refuses to be pigeonholed, and features Douglas kicking up his heels with a bunch of A-list friends including Eric Clapton, Alison Krauss, Dr. John, and Paul Simon. Douglas tries his hand at funky New Orleans R&B on Huey "Piano" Smith's "High Blood Pressure," with Keb' Mo' on lead vocals and Dr. John tickling the ivories. Douglas plays some greasy lap steel licks and Sarah Buxton adds Raelettes-like vocal harmonies. Douglas opens Leadbelly's "On a Monday" with his slippery, bluesy slide guitar work and adds credible lead vocals, but it's his stinging slide that carries the tune home. Alison Krauss & Union Station guest on "Frozen Fields," a track with Krauss delivering her usual luminous vocals while Douglas plays some laid-back acoustic guitar fills. He's more adventurous on the album's lively instrumentals. "King Silkie," co-written with Union Station guitarist Dan Tyminski, is a blazing hybrid of bluegrass and acoustic rock with Douglas smoking on Dobro in the company of Sam Bush on mandolin, Tyminski on guitar, and Charlie Cushman on banjo. Douglas turns jazzy on a medley of "American Tune/Spain," the latter a Chick Corea standard that incorporates elements of Joaquín Rodrigo's "Concierto de Aranjuez." Douglas layers up several Dobro tracks and incorporates the flavors and feel of flamenco into his free-flowing improvisations. Douglas blends the sounds of Celtic folk and hints of classical Indian music on "Gone to Fortingall." Béla Fleck's inventive banjo and Viktor Krauss' drumming provide sympathetic backup. ~ j. poet

1. On A Monday
2. Something You Got (featuring Eric Clapton)
3. So Here We Are
4. The Boxer (featuring Mumford & Sons and Paul Simon)
5. Duke And Cookie
6. High Blood Pressure (featuring Keb´Mo´)
7. Gone To Fortingall
8. Right On Time (featuring Marc Cohn)
9. American Tune / Spain
10. Frozen Fields (featuring Alison Krauss & Union Station)
11. King Silkie

290481b0c8a0ab609a4b9110.L.jpg

The Pizza Tapes -- Remastered HDCD

Jerry Garcia - David Grisman - Tony Rice

2000 Acoustic Disc

The setting is February 1993, at mandolinist David Grisman's Dawg Studios in Northern California. Grisman has gathered Jerry Garcia and newgrass guitar wizard Tony Rice for an informal jam session, bringing the two pickers together for the first time. Soon thereafter, a local pizza delivery boy pilfers a cassette of mixes left out on Garcia's kitchen counter... and so begins the years-long, bootlegged journey of the recording dubbed THE PIZZA TAPES.Unlike the popularly traded version, this official release offers excellent sound quality and editing, including some wittily-placed bits of banter. Indeed, the Garcia-Rice repartee offers a window into an offhand and intimate musical encounter in a very specific time and place. The chosen material evidences Garcia's late-'80s/early-'90s revisiting of the American folk and bluegrass songbook. Doc Watson's "Shady Grove" opens with copious space-noodling before yielding to a hot-blooded jaunt rife with quick-picking. The three continue their spirited improv duel as they delve loosely into the jazz songbook with George Gershwin's "Summertime" and Miles Davis' classic modal vehicle, "So What." Favorite spirituals such as "Drifting Too Far From the Shore" and "Amazing Grace" take on a special, bittersweet overtone as sung by an ailing Jerry, while the summery "Rosalee McFall" is as sweet as ever.

Track Listing
1. Appetizer
2. Man of Constant Sorrow
3. Appetizer
4. Louis Collins
5. Shady Jam
6. Shady Grove
7. Always Late
8. Guitar Space / Summertime
9. Appetizer
10. Long Black Veil
11. Rosalee McFall
12. Appetizer
13. Drifting Too Far From the Shore
14. Amazing Grace
15. Little Sadie
16. Knockin' on Heaven's Door
17. Space Jam
18. So What
19. Appetizer
20. The House of the Rising Sun

Personnel: Jerry Garcia (vocals, guitar); Tony Rice (guitar); David Grisman (mandolin).Recorded at Dawg Studios, Mill Valley, California on February 4 & 5, 1993. Includes liner notes by David Grisman and Tony Rice.All tracks have been digitally mastered using HDCD technology.

Back