• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Well I didn't buy ALL their albums (yet). :laughing: Started with the above, OK Computer (listening to that right now), and Amnesiac.

So far I like it a lot. They're great musicians.

BTW I also bought some Ryan Adams and Counting Crows.

PaulyT said:
Well I didn't buy ALL their albums (yet). :laughing: Started with the above, OK Computer (listening to that right now), and Amnesiac.

So far I like it a lot. They're great musicians.

BTW I also bought some Ryan Adams and Counting Crows.

Their second album, The Bends, has three or four outstanding songs on it, including one of my top 10 songs by the band. I was going to post a youtube video but it's the lyrics that I love, so that's what you get:

Fake Plastic Trees
Her green plastic watering can for
her fake Chinese rubber plant
In the fake plastic earth

That she bought from a rubber man
In a town full of rubber bands
to get rid of itself

It wears her out, it wears her out
It wears her out, it wears her out

She lives with a broken man
A cracked polystyreneman
Who just crumbles and burns

He used to do surgery
For girls in the eighties
But gravity always wins

And it wears him out, it wears him out
It wears him out, it wears him

She Looks like the real thing
She tastes like the real thing
My fake plastic love

But I can't help the feeling
I could blow through the ceiling
If I just turn and run

And it wears me out, it wears me out
It wears me out, it wears me out

If i could be who you wanted
If i could be who you wanted all the time, all the time

What the hell, the song AND the lyrics:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIPgMkFDwng[/youtube]

Was I able to play this Ryan Adams video at the GTG? I think so but don't remember for sure (I may've had one or two glasses (read: bottles) of wine in me at the time)...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FIw7ERlVxU[/youtube]

I love how uninterested the guy in the middle seems at first and about halfway through he realizes, damn, that's good.

^--- Yeah, we watched that one.

Ok I'll put The Bends on my list to buy at some point.

Oh cool, I just realized I know the song "The Tourist" from Sarah Jarosz who covers it - had never heard the original till now.

This song just popped up on Pandora and totally grabbed my attention so I had to listen to it again. Jeff Tuohy, Bourbon Street. Enjoy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kQSFyq6mac[/youtube]

61mpG1EYkXL.jpg

Live -- CD/DVD

Steve Martin and The Steep Canyon Rangers featuring Edie Brickell

2014 Rounder Records

.In the early '80s, Steve Martin gave up a wildly successful career as a standup comic to focus on acting, becoming a bankable film star, and enjoying rewarding sidelines as an author and playwright. But decades later, Martin took a route back to live performing by turning to his skills as a banjo player -- he'd long used the banjo as part of his stage act, and his final comedy LP, 1981's The Steve Martin Brothers, featured one side of jokes and another of bluegrass-influenced instrumentals. In 2009, Martin released an all-music album called The Crow: New Songs for the Five-String Banjo, and he was soon touring regularly in tandem with the progressive bluegrass band the Steep Canyon Rangers. Four years into their collaboration, Martin and the Rangers have become a strong live act who don't have to rely on his gags to please a crowd (though the gags are certainly welcome), as evidenced by this album, taken from a show recorded for broadcast on PBS. Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers featuring Edie Brickell Live absolutely lives up to its title, with Martin and the band joined on several numbers by singer/songwriter Brickell, who collaborated with Martin on the 2013 album Love Has Come for You. While Martin is funny, he's not a great vocalist, so Brickell brings a strong set of pipes, some fine lyrics, and a warm stage presence to this show, and given her wildly uneven body of work since scoring a hit in 1988 with "What I Am," her work with Martin ranks with the best music she's made since her debut. The Steep Canyon Rangers are in superb form here, filling out the tunes with expert playing and richly imaginative arrangements. For the most part, Martin is content to play the banjo in this concert, and if he's something short of a virtuoso, he's certainly talented and possesses a strong melodic sense, which he displays on original compositions like "Daddy Played the Banjo" and "The Crow." And to no one's surprise, when Martin does go for a laugh, it works, especially on the a cappella number "Atheists Don't Have No Songs," as well as the witty but mordant "Pretty Little One," which shifts gears midway from a love song to a murder ballad. Martin is hardly the first actor of note to take a flier at music, but his 21st century albums have proved he's no dilettante, and Live confirms he can go on-stage without a net and emerge with flying colors; if he wanted to keep doing this instead of another Pink Panther sequel, most fans would probably consider it time better spent. ~ Mark Deming

Disc: 1 CD
1. Katie Mae
2. Jubilation Day
3. Get Along Stray Dog
4. Yes She Did
5. Love Has Come For You
6. The Crow
7. Fighter
8. Sarah Jane And The Iron Mountain Baby
9. Hunger
10. Atheists Don't Have No Songs
11. The Great Remember (for Nancy)
12. Sun's Gonna Shine
13. When You Get To Asheville
14. Pretty Little One
15. Auden's Train
16. The Dance At The Wedding
17. Remember Me This Way
18. Pitkin County Turnaround / So Long Now
19. Daddy Played The Banjo

Disc: 2 DVD
1. Katie Mae
2. Daddy Played The Banjo
3. Jubilation Day
4. The Crow
5. Get Along Stray Dog
6. Love Has Come For You
7. Fighter
8. Sarah Jane And The Iron Mountain Baby
9. Stand And Deliver
10. Hunger
11. Atheists Don't Have No Songs
12. The Great Remember (for Nancy)
13. Sun's Gonna Shine
14. When You Get To Asheville
15. Shawnee
16. Yes She Did
17. Pretty Little One
18. Auden's Train
19. The Dance At The Wedding
20. Remember Me This Way
21. Pitkin County Turnaround / So Long Now

ad21024128a0e58dd72ac010.L.jpg

Greatest Hits -- CD

Eurythmics

1991 Arista Records

Amazon.com essential recording

One of the earliest things that we learned about Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart was that the duo had style. In their first few MTV videos, including "Sweet Dreams" and "Love Is a Stranger," they were just as notable for their androgynous suits and rubber utility coverall, as they were for their ice box synthetic dance beats. But as Eurythmics continued to churn out one hit after another, something else became refreshingly apparent: In the midst of all of the impersonal drum machines and frozen electronics, Lennox displayed both rhythm and soul. With a voice powerful enough to hold its own against genre queen Aretha Franklin ("Sisters Are Doing It for Themselves"), Lennox added another dimension to the haunting moodiness of "Who's That Girl" and "Here Comes the Rain Again." Changing personas and musical stylings with every release, Eurythmics blasted out horn-infused rockers ("Would I Lie to You"), country-fied twangers ("Thorn in My Side"), and melodic brilliance ("When Tomorrow Comes"). Greatest Hits captures the band's most inspired moments and justifies all of the original fuss. --Steve Gdula

1. "Love Is a Stranger" 3:40
2. "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" 4:50
3. "Who's That Girl?" 3:44
4. "Right by Your Side" 3:49
5. "Here Comes the Rain Again" 4:54
6. "There Must Be an Angel (Playing with My Heart)" 4:41
7. "Sisters Are Doin' It for Themselves" (with Aretha Franklin) 4:53
8. "It's Alright (Baby's Coming Back)" 3:43
9. "When Tomorrow Comes" Lennox, Stewart, Patrick Seymour 4:15
10. "You Have Placed a Chill in My Heart" 3:46
11. "The Miracle of Love" 4:35
12. "Sexcrime (Nineteen Eighty-Four)" 3:52
13. "Thorn in My Side" 4:11
14. "Don't Ask Me Why" 4:13
15. "Angel" 4:47
16. "Would I Lie to You?" 4:22
17. "Missionary Man" 3:45
18. "I Need a Man" 4:21

Today's work truck music...

51OKqYQ9t%2BL._SS500_.jpg

Breakfast In Bed -- CD

Joan Osborne

2007 Time Life Music

Amazon.com

On Breakfast in Bed, her first release on Time Life Records (yes, that Time Life) Joan Osborne tackles a crop of hand-picked soul and R&B favorites with equal parts sass and sensitivity. Long an underappreciated artist, Osborne is a performer with the wisdom to exercise vocal restraint for an effect that's more Dusty Springfield than Christina Aguilera. Her fine previous outing interpreting soul standards was aptly titled How Sweet It Is, and witness her contribution to the terrific 2002 film Standing in the Shadows of Motown, where Osborne's astute readings of "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted" and "Heatwave" outshone performers like Ben Harper and Gerald Levert (happily, both songs are included here). The title track and Hall and Oates' "Sara Smile" are both canny choices that play to her strengths in delivering credible blue-eyed soul, and six new Osborne-penned songs fit neatly into the record. If her compositions pale a bit next to the classics she covers (with the sultry and slithery exception of the excellent "Eliminate the Night"), give Osborne credit for bravely placing herself side-by-side with songwriting luminaries like Holland-Dozier-Holland and Bill Withers. Breakfast in Bed makes for a leisurely listen on a sunny Sunday morning, so put up your feet and stay awhile. --Ben Heege

Track listing

1. I've Got to Use My Imagination
2. Ain't No Sunshine
3. Midnight Train to Georgia
4. Baby Is a Butterfly
5. Breakfast in Bed
6. Cream Dream
7. Natural High
8. Heart of Stone
9. Sara Smile
10. Eliminate the Night
11. Break Up to Make Up
12. I Know What's Goin' On
13. Alone with You
14. Kiss and Say Goodbye
15. Heat Wave
16. What Becomes of the Brokenhearted [From Standing in the Shadows of Motown]

411O9Ug1ZHL.jpg

But Beautiful -- CD

Jimmy Scott

2002 Milestone Records

There's something in the languid soprano of Jimmy Scott's voice that communicates heartache in a way few other vocalists can touch; even when he's singing a relatively upbeat number, the nooks and crannies of Scott's stretched-out phrasing and subtle vibrato conjure vivid images of late nights and lost loves, while managing to make romantic melancholy sound almost luxurious in its beauty. But Beautiful, Scott's third album for Milestone (and seventh since his comeback in the early '90s -- not bad for a man who once went 15 years between sessions), is cut from the same cloth as his previous sets for the label, Mood Indigo and Over the Rainbow. Producer Todd Barkan has once again set Scott up with a small combo of superb jazz players (including Joe Beck on guitar and guest shots from Wynton Marsalis and Freddy Cole) and subtle but compelling arrangements (mostly by pianist Renee Rosnes) of ten classic standards; if But Beautiful is less ambitious than Scott's "comeback" albums for Warner Bros., there's no arguing that it plays to his strengths and captures Scott in marvelous form. At the age of 76, Scott's voice is losing just a bit of its elasticity, but for the most part his instrument is in surprisingly good shape, and his sense of phrasing remains impeccable; plenty of Oscar-winning actors could not express longing and loss as eloquently as Scott does on "Darn That Dream" and "Please Send Me Someone to Love," and the agonizing clarity of his hope on "When You Wish Upon a Star" is enough to move the hardest heart. Jimmy Scott's recent work gives the lie to F. Scott Fitzgerald's famous remark that there are no second acts in American lives, and if But Beautiful doesn't capture him at the absolute peak of his form, plenty of singers half his age would be grateful to make an album that commanded a fraction of this set's power to move the heart and soul. ~ Mark Deming

Track Listing
1. You Don't Know What Love Is
2. Darn That Dream
3. It Had to Be You
4. This Bitter Earth
5. Please Send Me Someone to Love
6. But Beautiful
7. When You Wish Upon a Star
8. Bye Bye Blackbird
9. I'll Be Seeing You
10. Precious Lord Take My Hand

Personnel includes: Jimmy Scott, Freddy Cole (vocals); Eric Alexander,Bob Kindred (tenor saxophone); Wynton Marsalis, Lew Soloff (trumpet); Renee Rosnes (piano); Joe Beck (guitar); George Mraz (bass); Lewis Nash, Dwayne Broadnax (drums).Recorded at The Studio, New York, New York in August 2001. Includes liner notes by David Ritz.

SATemptation_1_zps0b3368e4.jpg

Temptation -- Stereo SACD

Steve Kuhn Trio

2001/2014 Venus Records (Import Japan)

Steve Kuhn mixes standards and forgotten gems in these 2001 studio sessions with bassist Buster Williams and drummer Billy Drummond. Beginning with a tantalizing take of "Temptation" that has a slight Latin undercurrent, Kuhn finds new directions in these timeless pieces. "Dark Eyes" is another gem that has long fallen out of favor, though Kuhn's intricate workout demonstrates that there is plenty of life left in this decades-old warhorse. His treatment of Michel Legrand's "The Summer Knows" (written as theme music for the early-'70s film Summer of '42) is a bit jagged rather than the usual setting as a straight, slow, bittersweet ballad. John Lewis' "Django" has long been a favorite of jazz musicians, and the trio's elegant setting opens with an imaginative improvisation, slowly working into its well-known theme. Kuhn's sole original, "A Likely Story," is a driving post-bop vehicle that never runs out of steam. It's hard to go wrong by purchasing any Steve Kuhn CD, and this is among his best dates. Review by Ken Dryden

Tracklist:

1 Temptation 7:17
2 Dark Eyes 6:06
3 You Better Go Now 6:20
4 The Summer Knows 7:48
5 Love Is Here To Stay 6:40
6 Django 3:30
7 A Likely Story 9:17
8 I Can't Get Started 5:27

Steve Kuhn - Piano
Buster Williams - Bass
Billy Drummond - Drums

Botch said:
There's something in the languid soprano of Jimmy Scott's voice that...

Wait, wat?

Soprano, Contralto.... :confusion-shrug: You've got to hear "Little" Jimmy.
yes.gif

From Wiki:

Jimmy Scott (born July 17, 1925, also known as "Little" Jimmy Scott) is an American jazz vocalist famous for his unusually high contralto voice, which is due to Kallmann's syndrome, a very rare genetic condition. The condition stunted his growth at four feet eleven inches until, at the age of 37, he grew another 8 inches to the height of five feet seven inches. The condition prevented him from reaching puberty, leaving him with a high, undeveloped voice, hence his nickname "Little" Jimmy Scott.

Dennie

51oPLGIiWyL.jpg

Transitions -- CD

Three Voices

2012 Summit Records

''There’s an odd but interesting phenomenon frequently in play today in jazz wherein a recorded effort attempts to ‘‘move ahead’‘ by looking back on the past and ‘‘playing tribute’‘ moebius-like. In some instances, the effort works only on the ‘‘playing tribute’‘ level, but, not much more. That’s definitely not the case here. With Three Voices’ ‘‘Transitions’‘ Trumpeter Kim Pensyl, vibraphonist Rusty Burge, and bassist, Michael Sharfe collaborate superbly saluting a group of GASers and, with significant taste and flair, deliver a most enjoyable, very easy-to-take CD.

Textures and taste are names of the game on this date. Pensyl’s lush flugelhorn supported by Burge’s sparkling vibes and Sharfe’s restrained, but, highly engaged bass create a palette of pastels that invite interest and are never obnoxious. The material, although presenting classics (‘‘Stella by Starlight,’‘ ‘‘It Never Entered My Mind,’‘) also includes some under-recorded selections from sainted writers (‘‘Ishafon’‘ from Duke, Cole Porter’s ‘‘Dream Dancing,’‘ et al). All are performed impeccably.

Pensyl’s lush flugelhorn playing - with dynamic and rhythmic grace - demonstrates a marvelous command of his axe and channels both earlier Miles Davis and Chet Baker. He spins solos with elegantly conceived and tastefully delivered ideas. Burge, Tjader-esque, buys wholeheartedly into the restraint and coolness of the date. He’s hip without getting hot. Sharfe keeps all percolating and adds much more than simply walked lines. He swings and speaks a voice. This fine triangle of textures morphs into a unique instrument of its own and musically caresses the vaunted material.

Three Voices’ ‘‘Transitions’‘ is an excellent example of classic music performed sublimely with reverence and respect by superior musicians.''

-Nick Mondello, JazzTimes

Album Tracks

1. Summer Night, Harry Warren
2. Dream Dancing
3. If I Should Lose You
4. Transition #1
5. All the Things You Are
6. Fotografia
7. RKM
8. Very Early
9. Transition #2
10. Isfahan
11. I Hear a Rhapsody
12. Transition #3
13. Stella By Starlight
14. It Never Entered My Mind

Personnel: Kim Pensyl (flugelhorn); Rusty Burge (vibraphone); Michael Sharfe (acoustic bass).Audio Mixer: Kim Pensyl.Recording information: CCM Jazz Department Recording Studios, Cincinnati, OH.Editor: Kim Pensyl.Arrangers: Michael Sharfe; Kim Pensyl; Rusty Burge.

51JOtpP75ML.jpg

It Happened One Night (Live 6-28-95) -- CD (EP)

Holly Cole

1996 Metro Blue Records

On this live record, Canadian diva Cole sings selections from each of her three earlier albums. She has added drums and guitar to her usual trio of vocals, bass and piano, while continuing to fuse a variety of musical styles and genres into one smooth, sophisticated sound. Defying categorization, Cole includes a wide range of material, from the polished "Don't Let the Teardrops Rust Your Shining Heart," by Ben Watt of Everything But the Girl, to Tom Waits' bluesy "Train Song." The band approaches these songs from a minimalist, laid-back angle, laying a solid, spare canvas for Cole to paint with her supple alto. Her voice is tinged with jazz and a sly, dark wit that appeals to a listener's rawest emotions without risking sentimentality; and she has the agility to slide from insouciance into passion.

Track Listing
1. Get Out of Town
2. Cry (If You Want To)
3. Train Song
4. Losing My Mind
5. Tango 'Til They're Sore
6. Don't Let the Teardrops Rust Your Shining Heart
7. Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be) Que Sera
8. Calling You

Recorded live at St. Denis Theatre, Montreal, Quebec on June 28, 1995.Personnel: Holly Cole (vocals); Kevin Breit (guitar); Aaron Davis (piano); Dave Pilch (acoustic bass); Dougie Bowne (drums, percussion)

e2161363ada01c655237c010.L.jpg

Making Movies -- CD

Dire Straits

1980 Warner Bros. Records

A Masterpiece February 7, 2003
By Brad Shorr
Format:Audio CD

This is not only my favorite Dire Straits recording, it is one of my favorite rock CD's of all time. Never has Mark Knopfler's guitar work been more passionate. Never have his lyrics been more poetic. Never have his vocals been more emotive. "Tunnel of Love" has an unforgettable melody, dreamlike lyrics, and a haunting guitar that add up to one of the greatest songs ever. "Romeo and Juliet" tells a heartbreaking story, told perfectly thanks to Knopfler's dead-on vocals. Not a weak song to be found in this masterpiece.

All songs written by Mark Knopfler, unless otherwise noted.

"Tunnel of Love" (Mark Knopfler, Richard Rodgers, Oscar Hammerstein II) – 8:11
"Romeo and Juliet" – 6:00
"Skateaway" – 6:40
"Expresso Love" – 5:12
"Hand in Hand" – 4:48
"Solid Rock" – 3:19
"Les Boys" – 4:07

Back