• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

GreatDane said:
Hi Dennie. Just today I was surfing You Tube and watched several Renee Osltead videos. I've had her first CD since release. I was blown away by her voice at that age. Is it OK to say she's hot. :shifty:
Hey Dane, always good to see you!
Sure we can say she's HOT. We just can't act on it! :angry-tappingfoot:

I first saw her on this Chris Botti CD/DVD.......
51Z9SPRJN9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

...and I just couldn't believe that VOICE was coming from that Little Girl. Fantastic! :handgestures-thumbup: :eusa-clap:

Hot? Yeah, we can say she's HOT.......
imagen_renee_olstead_0102_0.jpg

Dennie

f38e53a09da0fce4e8876110.L.jpg

Country Life CD

Roxy Music

1974/1984 EG Records
Amazon.com essential recording

Some contend Roxy Music peaked on their first two LPs, the ones with Brian Eno. Others contend they were best on their next two LPs, without Eno. Country Life is the second LP of the latter grouping, and it probably is the highpoint of the band's career (although its predecessor, Street Life, is stiff competition). The haunting, melancholic "The Thrill of It All," the art-rockin' "Out of the Blue," the almost-pure '50s rock of "If It Takes All Night," and the decadent Berlin-before-the-War affectations of "A Really Good Time" all lead to the concluding "Prairie Rose," Bryan Ferry's campy ode to Texas and amour Jerry Hall. This was "alternative" rock before the term existed. After this, Roxy Music became an entirely different band. --Bill Holdship

All songs written by Bryan Ferry except where noted.
Side One

1. "The Thrill of It All" – 6:24
2. "Three and Nine" (Ferry, Andy Mackay) – 4:04
3. "All I Want Is You" – 2:53
4. "Out of the Blue" (Ferry, Phil Manzanera) – 4:46
5. "If It Takes All Night" – 3:12

Side Two

1. "Bitter-Sweet" (Ferry, Mackay) – 4:50
2. "Triptych" – 3:09
3. "Casanova" – 3:27
4. "A Really Good Time" – 3:45
5. "Prairie Rose" (Ferry, Manzanera) – 5:12

Bonus Info:

COVER ART

The cover features two scantily-clad models, Constanze Karoli (reportedly the sister of Can's Michael Karoli) and Eveline Grunwald. Bryan Ferry met them in Portugal and persuaded them to do the photo shoot as well as to help him with the words to the song "Bitter-Sweet". Although not credited for their photos they are credited on the lyric sheet for their German translation work.

The cover image was considered controversial in some countries such as the United States, Spain, and the Netherlands, where it was censored for release. As a result, a later American LP release of Country Life (available during the years 1975-80) featured a different cover shot. Instead of Karoli and Grunwald posed in front of some trees, the reissue used a photo from the album's back cover that featured only the trees. Author Michael Ochs has described the result as the "most complete cover-up in rock history".

The cover was deliberately recalled for the sleeve of the album Love & Desperation by the indie rock band Sweet Apple, released in 2010.

1fc391bdbc6d148b94b171ac0f1fafde.jpg

Damn! - CD

Jimmy Smith

1995 Verve Records

"This cat is the eighth wonder of the world" Miles Davis, July 18, 2005
By Jazzcat "stef" (Genoa, Italy Italy) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: *** (Audio CD)

Miles used to think this about Jimmy Smith, and he was right. Jimmy really was a marvel of the jazz world! He was an incredible bopper but he also invented the organ jazz thing. He has been incredibly influential. And rightly so because in a sense he invented a way of playing jazz, organ soul jazz. But this one is probably the best late album by Jimmy Smith (and it is straight ahead jazz, bebop I might say). He played exceptional music 'til his last days, nevertheless this album is one of the best of his late years (1995 .... you can buy Off the top too, the album he recorded with Benson, Turrentine, Carter, Tate in his late years, the eighties maybe, it's fabolous!!!!). He is accompanied here by a cast of great, really great "new" cats (Nicholas Payton, Roy Hardgrove, Mark Whitfield and more.. ) but don't forget, Jimmy is still the star. Even if it's not an historic recording from Smith (50's, 60's) it is of that quality. You can believe me. Jazz of the highest quality with an old LION still growling as he used to! It is an album of standards and Jazz originals. Among the best tune I point out the blues opener, "Papa's got a brand new bag" from James Brown songbook, played here as a thunderous Jazz anthem. I remember to have read that in the sixties when James Brown (which would like to play the organ and he played in a childish way in his concerts) heard Jimmy Smith playing, he literally shot his Hammond Organ!! I can't think what he could do if he had the opportunity to listen to this Smith's version of his "Bag"!!! Hi hi hi hi !!! =))))) Then I would say "Scrapple from the apple" a line from Charlie Parker's pen. Finally I would say that this album is very very well recorded, audiophile quality I'd say. My Avalon speakers really appreciate this one! BUY this one absolutly before it goes out of print. Believe me.

Track listing

1. Papa's Got a Brand New Bag
2. Sister Sadie
3. Woody 'N' You
4. One Before This, The
5. Watermelon Man
6. This Here
7. Scrapple From the Apple
8. Hi-Fly
9. la Mode, A

51OvmCBLyRL.jpg

Midnight Blue RVG 24 Bit Remasterd CD

Kenny Burrell

1967/ 1999 Blue Note Records
Amazon.com

Kenny Burrell's music is a wonderful blend of elegance and conviction, musical inventiveness and thoughtful restraint. On this 1967 session, the guitarist is joined by regular associates--tenorist Stanley Turrentine, conga drummer Ray Barretto, bassist Major Holley, and drummer Bill English--and together they concentrate on the subtlest and deepest hues of the blues, combining strong rhythmic grooves with a feeling of late-night reflection. There's never a misstep or a superfluous note, from the funky Latin hit "Chitlins Con Carne" to Burrell's deeply felt solo "Soul Lament" and the concentrated swing of "Gee, Baby, Ain't I Good to You." The result is a masterpiece, and the 24-bit remastering by the original engineer, Rudy Van Gelder, adds to the spaciousness and intimacy that have always been hallmarks of the session. --Stuart Broomer

1. Chittlins Con Carne
2. Mule
3. Soul Lament
4. Midnight Blue
5. Wavy Gravy
6. Gee Baby Ain't I Good to You
7. Saturday Night Blues
8. Kenny's Sound (Bonus Track)
9. K-Twist (Bonus Track)

404ee03ae7a0f59b38ec2210.L.jpg

Blue In Green - The Concert In Canada - CD

Bill Evans

1991 Milestone Records
A Joyous Romp for the Trio, August 9, 2002
By "jerryexspresso" (Columbia, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue in Green (Audio CD)

This is the most extroverted Bill Evans CD I've found and it's nice to hear him really going after the piano for almost the entire album. While Bill Evans conistantly amazes I would say that Eddie Gomez produced the best bass playing that I have heard so far. His pizzicato solos are both melodic and virtuosic but his arco solos call to mind a saxophonist due to their lyrical lines and expressive tone. His solo on "Very Early" is the most lyrical bass solo I have heard; the first time I heard it I thought someone was playing an alto. This is great music.
1. One for Helen 6:13

2. The Two Lonely People 7:03

3. What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life? 4:38

4. So What 6:47

5. Very Early 5:32

6. If You Could See Me Now 3:53

7. 34 Skidoo 7:33

8. Blue in Green 3:40

9. T.T.T. (Twelve Tone Tune) 5:29

51hXfYWEAdL._SS500_.jpg

Getz/Gilberto - SACD :handgestures-thumbup:

Stan Getz/Joao Gilberto Featuring Antonio Carlos Jobim and Astrud Gilberto

1964/2002 Verve Records

Getz/Gilberto, is a jazz bossa nova album released in 1964 by the American saxophonist Stan Getz and the Brazilian guitarist João Gilberto, and featuring composer and musician Antonio Carlos Jobim.

Its release created a bossa nova craze in the United States, and subsequently internationally. It brought together Stan Getz, who had already performed the genre on his LP Jazz Samba, João Gilberto (one of the creators of the style), and Jobim, a celebrated Brazilian compositor (and also one of the main creators of the genre), who wrote most of the songs in the album.

It became one of the best-selling jazz albums of all times, and turned Astrud Gilberto, who sang on the tracks "The Girl from Ipanema" and "Corcovado", into an international sensation.

1. "The Girl from Ipanema" Antônio Carlos Jobim, Vinicius de Moraes, Norman Gimbel 5:24
2. "Doralice" Dorival Caymmi, Antonio Almeida 2:46
3. "Pra machucar meu coração" Ary Barroso 5:05
4. "Desafinado" Jobim, Newton Mendonça 4:15
5. "Corcovado" Jobim, Gene Lees 4:16
6. "Só danço samba" Jobim, de Moraes 3:45
7. "O grande amor" Jobim, de Moraes 5:27
8. "Vivo sonhando" Jobim 3:04
9. "The Girl from Ipanema" (45 rpm issue) Jobim, de Moraes, Gimbel 2:54
10. "Corcovado" (45 rpm issue) Jobim, Lees 2:20

51eejhT707L._SS500_.jpg

You might as well listen to this song as you read:
http://soundcloud.com/indiemusicfilter/ ... can-beacon

I got the urge to listen to Matt Duncan this morning. I think this guy makes the kind of music that everyone will like. Listen to it once, you think: that's pretty good. Spin it again, and you'll have the sweet pop hooks stuck in your head all day. My brother says it makes him think of the good late '70's TV show themes. When I hear Matt Duncan, I think of aspects of Donald Fagen, Billy Joel, and Randy Newman rolled up into one. I think he's even better live, where more of the fun aspect comes across, but his "Beacon" EP is well worth it for only $5.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Beacon/dp/B003IOU ... 907&sr=8-1

Aaron German said:
Post deleted. Technical difficulties.

You should be able to completely delete your own posts... (as opposed to editing them down to nothing)

PaulyT said:
Aaron German said:
Post deleted. Technical difficulties.

You should be able to completely delete your own posts... (as opposed to editing them down to nothing)

I've given it some effort, but cannot figure out how to just get rid of the post. Any tips?

Aaron German said:
I've given it some effort, but cannot figure out how to just get rid of the post. Any tips?
I believe you only have 1 minute to delete your own post. After that, you have to edit.

c8cbc060ada0155d8f33e110.L.jpg

From Q, With Love 2 CD Set

Quincy Jones

1999 Warner Bros. Records
Amazon.com

As arranger, composer, and producer, Quincy Jones has helped shape American popular music in a unique way--growing and changing with it, interacting with and recombining its elements--from his beginnings in jazz in the 1950s to his extraordinary successes in r&b in recent decades. Much of that achievement is touched on in the love songs of this 2-CD set, beginning with his early jazz work with Sarah Vaughan and the great Frank Sinatra-Count Basie collaboration on "The Shadow of Your Smile." Perhaps more than anyone else, Jones has been responsible for the contemporary shape of r&b, smoothing out its rough edges and focusing a song with complex, innovative production that has a pulsing undercurrent all its own. As this collection so ably demonstrates, Jones is as at home with jazz singer Rachelle Farrell in a recasting of "Moody's Mood for Love" as he is lending his special skills to soulful singers like Patti Austin and James Ingram. --Adam Rains

Track listing

DISC 1: VOLUME 1:
1. Setembro - (featuring Sarah Vaughan/Take 6)
2. Secret Garden, The (Sweet Seduction Suite) - (featuring Barry White/James Ingram/Al B. Sure!/El DeBarge/Siedah Garrett)
3. I'm Yours - (featuring Siedah Garrett/El DeBarge)
4. Baby, Come to Me - (featuring Patti Austin/James Ingram)
5. You Put a Move on My Heart - (featuring Tamia)
6. Velas - (featuring Toots Thielemans)
7. Moody's Mood For Love - (featuring James Moody/Brian McKnight/Take 6/Rachelle Ferrell)
8. Liberian Girl - (featuring Michael Jackson)
9. Love Dance - (featuring George Benson)
10. One Hundred Ways - (featuring James Ingram)
11. Rock With You - (featuring Brandy/Heavy D)
12. Lady in My Life, The - (featuring Michael Jackson)
13. Shadow of Your Smile, The - (live, from "The Sandpiper", featuring Frank Sinatra/Count Basie & His Orchestra)

DISC 2: VOLUME 2:
1. How Do You Keep the Music Playing? - (featuring James Ingram/Patti Austin)
2. Something I Cannot Have - (featuring Catero)
3. Human Nature - (featuring Michael Jackson)
4. Everything Must Change - (featuring Benard Ighner)
5. I'm Gonna Miss You in the Morning - (featuring Luther Vandross/Patti Austin)
6. Everything - (featuring Tevin Campbell)
7. Just Once - (featuring James Ingram)
8. If This Time Is the Last Time - (featuring Patti Austin)
9. Somewhere - (featuring Aretha Franklin)
10. Heaven's Girl - (featuring R. Kelly/Ronald Isley/Aaron Hall/Charlie Wilson/Naomi Campbell)
11. Prelude to the Garden
12. Sax in the Garden - (featuring Kirk Whalum/Barry White)
13. At the End of the Day (Grace) - (featuring Toots Thielemans/Barry White/Mervyn Warren)

13236904.jpg

I got this a couple weeks ago, listened to it once while I was doing other things, finally sat down for some critical listening today. NICE!! It was remastered to SACD by Mobile Fidelity (not in surround), and is one of the best-sounding jazz records I've heard.
One complaint: The trumpet player had some pretty bad intonation issues on one song. The disk has alternate takes of two of the songs, including the one with the out-of-tune trumpet, and he sounded bad on the alternate, too! :shock: He sounded fine on the other tracks.
The original album art is reproduced on the SACD package, and the print is so small I can't even read it with my reading glasses; guess I'm gonna have to break down and buy myself a handheld magnifier from Staples. Damn I hate getting old. :(

41TRNT7Z4NL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Dream Cafe - CD

Greg Brown

1992 Red House Records

One of my most-played albums, February 21, 2001
By brad lonard (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dream Cafe (Audio CD)

Here's a miracle: the best *** song cycle about love since Blood On The Tracks, without a trace of sentimentality; soul-baring without being confessional or embarassing. But then, Greg Brown fans must be getting used to miracles. Greg's songs about old love, the ups and downs of marriages, and the vagaries of romance are shot full of self-deprecating humour, insights and beautiful images (I can't get that old couple 'burning their love letters so their children won't be shocked' in Spring Wind out of my head). This is the least precious, most life-affirming 'folk' record you'll ever hear.

All songs by Greg Brown.

1. "Just by Myself" – 4:45
2. "Sleeper" – 4:28
3. "I Don't Know That Guy" – 4:51
4. "So Hard" – 2:38
5. "You Can Watch Me" – 3:37
6. "Dream Cafe" – 5:55
7. "You Drive Me Crazy" – 4:56
8. "Spring Wind" – 4:32
9. "Nice When it Rains" – 3:10
10. "Laughing River" – 4:16
11. "No Place Away" – 4:10
12. "I Don't Want to Be the One" – 3:24

51B0%2Bz4t7dL._SS500_.jpg

"Love And Theft" - SACD

Bob Dylan

CD: Sept. 11th, 2001 Columbia Records

SACD: Sept. 16th 2003 Columbia/Sony Music
Sonic gold, June 21, 2004
By Richard Nelson (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Love & Theft (Hybr) (Audio CD)
It's hard to believe the powers that be saw fit to remaster this album and not Time Out Of Mind, considering that this was only two years old when it got the super audio treatment. Nevertheless, the album does see improvement on the SACD layer. Listen to the old and new versions of "Sugar Baby" and you'll know that you're now in the presence of a superior recording, one that captures more fully the grit in Bob's voice and the tone of instruments that, in places, can't even be heard on the original pressing. The producers make another interesting choice here: rather than pulling the vocals out of the mix and running them through the center channel, as some of the other 5.1 mixes in the remastered series do, they remain on the front speakers, buried in the band as befits this, the most band-reliant Dylan album in a while.

As for the actual music, it didn't get all that critical acclaim for nothing. The passage of time may have dulled the "This could be his best ever" rhetoric, but Love and Theft is still a high point in the Dylan catalog, among his most consistent and listenable records. Despite being released on, of all days, 9/11, this isn't a socially-important record like his earliest work, but it's easier to put in the player and enjoy without so frequently pondering injustice; it isn't a stunning heartbreak record like Blood on the Tracks, but you can tap your feet and sing along to "Summer Days" and "Honest With Me." There's room for all of those sides of Bob Dylan in his catalog, and hearing him explore this side, and mine the history of American music for sonic gold, is well worth the price of admission.

All songs were written by Bob Dylan.

1. "Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum" – 4:46
2. "Mississippi" – 5:21
3. "Summer Days" – 4:52
4. "Bye and Bye" – 3:16
5. "Lonesome Day Blues" – 6:05
6. "Floater (Too Much to Ask)" – 4:59
7. "High Water (For Charley Patton)" – 4:04
8. "Moonlight" – 3:23
9. "Honest with Me" – 5:49
10. "Po' Boy" – 3:05
11. "Cry a While" – 5:05
12. "Sugar Baby" – 6:40

Botch said:
13236904.jpg

I got this a couple weeks ago, listened to it once while I was doing other things, finally sat down for some critical listening today. NICE!! It was remastered to SACD by Mobile Fidelity (not in surround), and is one of the best-sounding jazz records I've heard.
One complaint: The trumpet player had some pretty bad intonation issues on one song. The disk has alternate takes of two of the songs, including the one with the out-of-tune trumpet, and he sounded bad on the alternate, too! :shock: He sounded fine on the other tracks.
The original album art is reproduced on the SACD package, and the print is so small I can't even read it with my reading glasses; guess I'm gonna have to break down and buy myself a handheld magnifier from Staples. Damn I hate getting old. :(

Thanks for the Review Botch! I'm going to have to add this one to my "Wish List"!

I hate getting old too, as they keep making the writing smaller and smaller! :shock:
I've got one of those magnifying glass that has an extra little circle at the bottom that magnifies even more. But I don't need it, I just have it in case some of my OLD Friends come over!!! :eusa-whistle:

Dennie :liar:

Back