• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Grateful-Dead-Go-To-Heaven-358224.jpg

Go To Heaven - CD

Grateful Dead

1980 Arista Records
An Old deadhead's review,
March 14, 2007
By Cat In the Hat "VC2" (Manassas Va, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Go to Heaven (Audio CD)

I am a dedicated "deadhead" you might say, and I absolutely adored them! They are amazing live, I saw them throughout the sixties and seventies, & eighties. some shows through the 90's, but not so much then. I also saw Jerry Garcia's last show before he died. This is not the grateful dead's best album, but it is still one of those albums that can stand the test of time, and is good for the occasional listen. I still have the record, and I play it alot. Even if you are new to the grateful dead music scene, you should still check this out. But the best dead I have ever listened to was July 4th, 1989. I was at the concert, i remember everything that was happening like it was yesterday. Buy that First, then american Beauty and terrapin station. i would then recomend Aoxomoxoa or anthem of the sun. Workingman's dead is very good. dont get built to last unless you want to, it is probaly their worst studio album. This album was released in 1980, and it was not their last studio album, for the idiot reviewers put the wrong information before me. Get this cd or record, however you can get it is fine. dont buy it for 2 or 3 songs either. get the whole thing and listen to it all the way through it every single time. that is the only way to listen to the Grateful Dead

1. Alabama Getaway
2. Far From Me
3. Althea
4. Feel Like A Stranger
5. Lost Sailor
6. Saint Of Circumstance
7. Antwerp's Placebo
8. Easy To Love You
9. Don't Ease Me In

0931eb6709a0eb499c5b2110.L.jpg

Golden Heart - CD

Mark Knopfler

1996 Reprise Records

The Dire Straits' mastermind's first non-soundtrack solo album is a refreshingly diverse outing. Mellower overall than his previous fare, there's still plenty of stunning guitar work and solid songcrafting to be had here. The songs cover a lot of stylistic bases, from rock to folk, Celtic, blues and somber balladeering. The disc is full, yet its diversity never becomes superfluous. A well-planned and pleasing slice of craftsmanship from one of rock's reigning originals.

All tracks are written by Mark Knopfler.

1. "Darling Pretty" – 4:31
2. "Imelda" – 5:26
3. "Golden Heart" – 5:01
4. "No Can Do" – 4:54
5. "Vic and Ray" – 4:36
6. "Don't You Get It" – 5:16
7. "A Night in Summer Long Ago" – 4:43
8. "Cannibals" – 3:41
9. "I'm the Fool" – 4:28
10. "Je Suis Désolé" – 5:14
11. "Rüdiger" – 6:03
12. "Nobody's Got the Gun" – 5:25
13. "Done With Bonaparte" – 5:06
14. "Are We in Trouble Now" – 5:54

41WcmAK4lKL._SS500_.jpg

Downright Upright CD

Brian Bromberg

2007 Artistry Records
Product Description
On Downright Upright, acclaimed bassist BRIAN BROMBERG leads an all-star line-up to create a musical tour de force!

Playing both acoustic and piccolo bass, Downright Upright is a complete turnaround from 2006's Wood II. Instead of a traditional trio, this release shines with many new collaborative touches, including those from pianists GEORGE DUKE and JEFF LORBER, saxophonists GARY MEEK, BONEY JAMES, and KIRK WHALUM, drummer VINNIE COLAIUTA, trumpeter RICK BRAUN, and guitarists GANNIN ARNOLD and LEE RITENOUR.

Track listing

1. Cantaloupe Island
2. Mercy Mercy Mercy
3. Cold Duck Time
4. Sunday Mornin'
5. Hacha Cha Cha, The
6. Chameleon
7. Serengeti Walk
8. Leisure Suit
9. Slow Burn
10. Shag Carpet

d0bd793509a0f5f1cf496110.L.jpg

This Girl's Got To Play - CD

Joyce Cooling

2004 Narada Records

March 16, 2004 - Jazz guitarist Joyce Cooling creates music because, she tells NPR's Tony Cox, "it's in her bones."

For years, Cooling has wowed San Francisco Bay-area jazz enthusiasts with her signature sound — part jazzy soul, part urban cool, utterly original. She also has traveled as far east as the Philippines and as far south as Colombia to perform with such jazz giants as Joe Henderson and Stan Getz.

Throughout her career, Cooling has drifted from Brazilian to traditional jazz and back again, playing guitar with a finger-picking style that's all her own. Her inspirations are equally eclectic: James Brown, Maurice Ravel, Jimi Hendrix, Abbey Lincoln and Aerosmith.

At first, Cooling wasn't sure her love for music could translate into a career, but it has — her latest CD This Girl's Got To Play has been lauded by critics.

She's also one of the few female jazz guitarists in the genre. She dabbles in keyboards and percussion, but says the guitar chose her, not the other way around.
1. Expression
2. Take Me There
3. Camelback
4. No More Blues
5. Green Impala
6. This Girl's Got To Play
7. Toast & Jam
8. Natural Fact
9. The Wizard
10. Talk

e3f6828fd7a044163abd7110.L.jpg

Pieces Of You - CD

Jewel

1995 Atlantic Records
Amazon.com
Jewel's debut album, Pieces of You, reveals a special voice--strong and focused on both the whispery verses and the hooky choruses. The recording also exposes an unfortunate tendency to present trite, hackneyed sentiments as if they were oracular visions from a young prophet to a jaded world. For the most part, Jewel sings to her own acoustic guitar accompaniment, but she has a lot more in common with, say, the Indigo Girls or Lisa Loeb than with Judy Collins or Nanci Griffith. Despite her soft soprano and pretty melodies, her songs have an iconoclastic edge which make her more of an unplugged alternative rocker than a folkie. Her songs too often betray their origins as written verse in their hard-to-sing meters, unmusical phrasing, and diary-like pronouncements. Nonetheless, a few numbers, such as "Morning Song" and "You Were Meant for Me," show a spark of humor about romance, and hint that Jewel may yet write songs worthy of her remarkable voice. --Geoffrey Himes
6577b2c008a01dceddfda010.L.jpg

9867224128a01a908d17b010.L.jpg

7bfc820dd7a0bb0543eae010.L.jpg

Ragged Glory - CD

Neil Yong & Crazy Horse

1990 Reprise Records
Amazon.com essential recording

After a long period of unfocused weirdness, Young spotted grunge around the corner and declared unity with the loud, scruffy sounds coming from Seattle. The countryish ballads, such as the opening "Farmer John," get roaring Crazy Horse treatment, and the headbanging "F*!#in' Up" is the most self-effacing rock anthem since the Who recorded "I'm a Boy." Amid the clatter, though, there is beauty: Crazy Horse's sympathetic backup vocals turn "Mansion on the Hill" into a pretty pop song despite the electric guitars, and even the white noise that closes the 1990 album is soothing in a scream-therapy kind of way. --Steve Knopper

1. "Country Home" – 7:05
2. "White Line" – 2:57
3. "F*!#in' Up" – 5:54
4. "Over and Over" – 8:28
5. "Love to Burn" – 10:00
6. "Farmer John" (Don Harris, Dewey Terry) – 4:14
7. "Mansion on the Hill" – 4:48
8. "Days That Used to Be" – 3:42
9. "Love and Only Love" – 10:18
10. "Mother Earth (Natural Anthem)" – 5:11

Too bad you don't live in Tennessee. You got a nice music collection going on. I'll have to check out that Montgomery album you post on the first page. I don't have much of his stuff, maybe two or three albums but two favorites of mine:

51FWeEoM0cL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51Lnl1Nw-AL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Those two versions have been remastered, so looks like I'll be making another visit to Amazon this week. :happy-smileygiantred:

In the mean time I got these:

31NpwuhO6QL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51Nd8Sa2fFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41y0hECOVnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

With these two on the way (got them used, so no two day shipping);

511XtN32NgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

518ZgXos79L._SL500_AA300_.jpg[img]

I was thrilled to find this one.....

1078667.jpg

Bat Out Of Hell 24K Gold CD (SBM)

Meatloaf

1977/1994 Sony Music

At a time when rock 'n' roll had reached its bloated, bloodless nadir with the unholy trilogy of Styx, Kansas and Supertramp, Meat Loaf and songwriter Jim Steinman screamed onto the charts with 1977's Bat Out of Hell. Fueled by shameless bombast and backseat bravado, they ovvered emotion-starved, hormone-driven teenagers salvation in the form of operatic, Springsteen-derived mini-dramas. Featuring such sweat-soaked anthems as "Paradise By the Dashboard Light," "You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth" and "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad," Bat Out of Hell holds up remarkably well. Audiophiles may want to splurge on the gold Master Sound reissue, which indeed adds some much-needed definition to Todd Rundgren's dense production.

Tracks
1. Bat out of Hell
2. You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth (Hot Summer Night)
3. Heaven Can Wait
4. All Revved Up With No Place to Go
5. Two Out of Three Ain't Bad
6. Paradise by the Dashboard Light
7. For Crying out Loud

Yesfan70 said:
Too bad you don't live in Tennessee. You got a nice music collection going on. I'll have to check out that Montgomery album you post on the first page. I don't have much of his stuff, maybe two or three albums but two favorites of mine:

51FWeEoM0cL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51Lnl1Nw-AL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Those two versions have been remastered, so looks like I'll be making another visit to Amazon this week. :happy-smileygiantred:

Hey Yesfan, good to see you. Wes is an amazing guitarist and I pick up anything by him. I've got a few on vinyl, but my turntable is down right now, so I've been picking up his CD's. :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

Dennie said:
Hey Yesfan, good to see you. Wes is an amazing guitarist and I pick up anything by him. I've got a few on vinyl, but my turntable is down right now, so I've been picking up his CD's. :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

Those two are worth it, if you don't already have them.

Yesfan70 said:
Dennie said:

Dennie

Those two are worth it, if you don't already have them.

I do have both of those, but I think they are earlier issues, as the don't have the "Keepnews Collection" on the covers.

"The Incredible Wes" is on "Riverside/Fantasy-Original Jazz Classics" label with a 1992 date, on the same label I have "Guitar On The Go" with a 1990 date and they both say "Digital Remastered" on them. "Full House" is on Charly/LeJazz label with a 1993 date. It does not say remastered on the label.

All are very enjoyable,

Dennie

Dennie - are you actually listening to all these or are you simply catalogging your collection in this thread? :teasing-neener:

0000029102_350.jpg

I love these guys. Even though they're a Vegas act, they build their own unique musical instruments, and the music they make sounds great. The drum sounds are HUGE!

Zing said:
Dennie - are you actually listening to all these or are you simply catalogging your collection in this thread? :teasing-neener:

I'm listening to each one. I play album's not songs. So every album I post, I am listening too. I stopped watching TV and that has left me plenty of time to listen to my music collection! I actually have a few hundred CD's that I've not got around to listening too yet, but I am working my way through them.

One of the problems is, I add music all the time (remember I have the used music dealer a few blocks away), so I may never get through the whole collection, but I am having a lot of fun trying! :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie :music-listening:

51URhwscwJL._SS400_.jpg

Talkin' About Grant Green CD

Grant Green - Larry Young - Elvin Jones

1965/1999 Blue Note Records

Grant Green ranked alongside Wes Montgomery as the most exciting new jazz guitarist of the early 1960s. Green recorded a couple of dozen very memorable albums for Blue Note in styles ranging from modal jazz to soul jazz, bop, funk, Latin and spirituals. When Grant Green teamed up in a trio with the forward looking organist Larry Young and drummer Elvin Jones on Talkin' About, a magical musical alchemy occurred. Far from sounding like the standard organ trio, Talkin’ About showcases three master musicians in full flight. Larry Young was no longer playing Jimmy Smith licks. He was universally acknowledged as having the first new style on organ since Smith. Elvin Jones was the major drummer of the era, and Green was capable of excelling in any setting. Just listen to the guitarist on the lengthy "Talking About J.C." and the joyous version of "I'm An Old Cowhand." You’ll quickly understand why Talkin’ About is such a sought after gem of the Blue Note catalog.

Grant Green Talkin' About! Track Listing

1. Talkin' About J.C.
2. People
3. Luny Tune
4. You Don't Know What Love Is
5. I'm An Old Cowhand

51UGwZTuovL._SS500_.jpg

This One's For Blanton CD

Duke Ellington and Ray Brown

1972/1994 Fantasy Records
A superb duo outing by two geniuses, August 4, 2000
By Steve Frazier (Seattle) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This One's for Blanton (Audio CD)
This album was created in the early 1970's when Norman Granz, the music impresario who founded the Verve label and the Jazz at the Philharmonic concert series in the 50's, started a new label called Pablo. He went around recording many giants of jazz in solo, duo and small group settings. Most are products of pure joy -- great musicians getting out of their normal routines and stretching out on tunes they loved.

This is no exception. It captures Duke Ellington in a (fairly) rare duo setting, playing songs he is associated with, with the great jazz bassist Ray Brown, one of the pioneers of great jazz bass. The title -- "This One's for Blanton" -- refers to the great Jimmy Blanton, who played with the Duke Ellington orchestra in the 1940's and who was an inspiration to people like Ray Brown. Hearing Ellington and Brown together is an amazing experience, as you hear two master instrumentalists deliver the essence of songs normally associated with a full jazz orchestra. The first half of the CD is Ellington standards, beautifully delivered. The last half is a suite Ellington wrote just for this occasion (I think), a superb little creation that really gives Ray Brown a stretch out and play with all of the colors that a string bass can deliver. Don't buy this as your first Ellington CD (get the Webster/Blanton CD or The Great Paris Concert), but if you like Ellington and/or jazz bass at all you need this for a different twist on the Ellington legacy.

1. "Do Nothin' Till You Hear from Me" (Ellington, Bob Russell) - 5:36
2. "Pitter Panther Patter" - 3:06
3. "Things Ain't What They Used to Be" (Mercer Ellington) - 4:00
4. "Sophisticated Lady" (Ellington, Irving Mills, Mitchell Parish) - 5:30
5. "See See Rider" (Traditional) - 3:07
6. "Fragmented Suite for Piano and Bass: First Movement" (Ray Brown, Ellington) - 4:51
7. "Fragmented Suite for Piano and Bass: Second Movement" (Brown, Ellington) - 5:11
8. "Fragmented Suite for Piano and Bass: Third Movement" (Brown, Ellington) - 3:40
9. "Fragmented Suite for Piano and Bass: Fourth Movement" (Brown, Ellington) - 4:58

Back