• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Happy Sunday everyone... :banana-dance:

51twlCGOLSL.jpg

Listen Here! -- CD

The Gene Harris Quartet

1989 Concord Records

Although often associated with the blues, only one of the ten selections on this quartet set by pianist Gene Harris (who is joined by guitarist Ron Eschete, bassist Ray Brown, and drummer Jeff Hamilton) is technically a blues. On this excellent all-around showcase for the soulful pianist, Harris sounds in prime form exploring such tunes as "This Masquerade," "Don't Be That Way," Eddie Harris' "Listen Here," and "The Song Is Ended." Listen Here! gives listeners a pretty definitive look at Gene Harris' accessible and swinging style. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. This Masquerade
2. Don't Be That Way
3. I've Got a Feeling I'm Falling
4. Listen Here
5. This Can't Be Love
6. To You
7. Blues for Jezebel
8. Sweet and Lovely
9. Lullabye
10. The Song Is Ended

Gene Harris Quartet: Gene Harris (piano); Ron Eschete (guitar); Ray Brown (bass); Jeff Hamilton (drums).Recorded at The Plant Recording Studios, Sausalito, California in March 1989.

51YLWzvtiyL.jpg

Autumn Leaves -- 2 CD Set

Tal Farlow

1978 & 1985/2003 Concord Records

Tal Farlow recorded a wonderful series of albums that established him as one of the premiere bop/cool guitarists. He recorded less frequently in the '60s, '70s, and '80s, preferring to stay out of the limelight. Autumn Leaves consists of two discs Farlow recorded for Concord: Tal Farlow '78 and The Legendary Tal Farlow (1985). When a great player like Farlow revives his career 20 years later, it seems customary, though a bit impolite, to ask: can he play as well as he once could? The easy answer is yes, he plays with the same finesse and speed (though it's hard to tell: his fingers move extremely fast), but this should be qualified by noting that his overall approach has mellowed during the interval. On the first disc Farlow is joined by bassist Gary Mazzaroppi and drummer Tom Sayek for a straight-ahead trio set. Ballads ("Here's That Rainy Day" and "Autumn Leaves") and barnburners ("Mahoney's 11 Ohms" and "With the Wind and the Rain in Your Hair") get equal billing, which means the album goes down like a perfectly balanced glass of red wine. The trio grows to a quintet on The Legendary Tal Farlow, with special notice going to flutist/tenor saxophonist Sam Most. Most's flute work injects an airy presence into "You Stepped Out of a Dream" and "I Got It Bad and That Ain't Good," while also working as a nice counter voice to Farlow's guitar. The two satisfying sets on Autumn Leaves offer over 80 minutes of modern jazz played with elegance and style. ~ Ronnie D. Lankford, Jr.

Track Listing

DISC 1:
1. Mahoney's 11 Ohms
2. Here's That Rainy Day
3. Autumn Leaves
4. With the Wind and the Rain in Your Hair
5. Perdido
6. Medley: Ill Wind/Invitation/: Ill Wind / Invitation
7. Satin Doll
8. Gymkhana in Soho

DISC 2:
1. You Stepped Out of a Dream
2. When Your Lover Has Gone
3. I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)
4. When Lights Are Low
5. Who Cares?
6. I Can't Get Started
7. Prelude to a Kiss
8. Everything Happens to Me

2 LPs on 2 CDs: TAL FARLOW '78 (1978)/THE LEGENDARY TAL FARLOW (1985).Personnel: Tal Farlow (guitar); Sam Most (tenor saxophone, flute); Frank Strazzeri (piano); Bob Maize, Gary Mazzaroppi (bass); Tom Sayek, Al "Tootie" Heath (drums).Producers: Carl E. Jefferson, Frank Dorritie.Recorded at Bell Sound, New York, New York and Sage And Sound Studios, Hollywood, California between 1978 and 1985. Includes liner notes by Gordon Raddue, Ira Gitler.Personnel: Tal Farlow (guitar); Sam Most (flute, tenor saxophone); Frank Strazzeri (piano); Tom Sayek, Albert "Tootie" Heath (drums).Audio Remixer: Phil Edwards .Liner Note Authors: Ira Gitler; Gordon Raddue.Recording information: Bell Sound Studios, New York, NY (09/1984); Sage & Sound Studio, Hollywood, CA (09/1984).

Happy Monday everyone.... :dance:

51vZwcXxzTL._SS500_.jpg

Ellis In Wonderland -- CD

Herb Ellis

1956/2006 Verve Records

The "swing machine", June 30, 2006
By Jazzcat "stef" (Genoa, Italy Italy) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ellis in Wonderland (Audio CD)

The Oscar Peterson Trio plus Herb Ellis was a terrific swing machine. Probably one of the best, if not the overall best rhythmn team in Jazz. Its swing flows with an impressive naturality. Everything seems incredibly easy and natural for these guys. This album de facto is an Oscar Peterson swing machine album plus some talented soloist, Jimmy Giuffre, Sweet Edison for the first four excellent tunes. This album is from 1956 and it has that fifties patina that is especially sweet and lovely. The program is classic, blues, standards and ballads. Herb is really focused on this album. It is clear he was playing regularly with a strong routine. His command of the instrument is total here. His ideas are brilliant, his playing precise and he swings like crazy. This album together with the album Herb preferred "Nothing but the blues" is perfect if you want to own just a couple of albums from Herb. The tunes I love the most here are the first four because of the variety and the quality of the solos from the improvisors. Edison and Giuffre were terrific, but I repeat Herb is absolutly excellent here. in this album he palyed some of his best music for sure. The opener is a splendid bop blues, a typical blues "sonic magma" from the trio. The second and the third tunes are two wonderful standards. Exceptional the rendition of the ballad It could happen to me. Pogo instead is a bebop tune, fast and "aggressive" just as bebop should be. The last four tunes are played more relaxed maybe (it was a different session). The music at some point is almost counterpoint (in the jazz sense). I think this album is a must buy for Jazz lovers.

"Sweetheart Blues" (Herb Ellis) – 4:46
"Somebody Loves Me" (Buddy DeSylva, George Gershwin, Ballard MacDonald) – 4:55
"It Could Happen to You" (Johnny Burke, Jimmy Van Heusen) – 3:47
"Pogo" (Ellis) – 4:45
"Detour Ahead" (Lou Carter, Ellis, Johnny Frigo) – 4:03
"Ellis in Wonderland" (Ellis) – 3:52
"Have You Met Miss Jones?" (Lorenz Hart, Richard Rodgers) – 6:20
"A Simple Tune" (Jimmy Giuffre) – 4:11

Herb Ellis – guitar
Jimmy Giuffre – baritone saxophone, tenor saxophone, clarinet
Harry "Sweets" Edison – trumpet
Charlie Mariano – alto saxophone
Oscar Peterson – piano
Ray Brown – bass
Alvin Stoller – drums

0000419370_500.jpg

The Genius of The Electric Guitar -- CD

Charlie Christian

1987 Columbia Records

You Jazz Types Need To Loosen Up June 19, 2003
By Former Archivist General of the United States
Format:Audio CD

I like my Coltrane and Mingus and Monk too, but Jiminey H. Crowe, you can't give this stuff just 3 stars! This is Charlie Christian sneaking in the back door of the biggest stage available in popular music at the time and hi-jacking American culture from the facile and the banal back to solid musicianship, compelling (while seemingly effortless) syncopation, an expanded tonal palate without sacrificing a steady blues sensibility. It's not just complexity that bakes the biscuit. Complexity alone makes the girls yawn and go home. Here Charlie invigorates the blues while rocking the cradle of the Swing Era, rock guitar, and BeBop all at once, and even the great Benny gets taken to school. Three stars? Wake up!

Track Listing
1. Rose Room
2. Seven Come Eleven
3. Till Tom Special
4. Gone With "What" Wind
5. Grand Slam
6. Six Appeal (My Daddy Rocks Me)
7. Wholly Cats
8. Royal Garden Blues
9. As Long as I Live
10. Benny's Bugle
11. Breakfast Feud
12. I Found a New Baby
13. Solo Flight
14. Blues in B
15. Waiting for Benny
16. Air Mail Special

Nanci-Griffith2-1.jpg

Lone Star State of Mind -- CD

Nanci Griffeth

1987 MCA Records

If there was any question that Nanci Griffith would lose her edge after signing to a major label, LONE STAR STATE OF MIND answered it definitively in the negative--if anything, on her first album for MCA, Griffith sounded even more authentically country than ever. As always, her singing was superb, the songs (both her own, including a remake of "There's a Light Beyond These Woods" from her debut album, and an ahead-of-its-time cover of Julie Gold's "From a Distance") were instantly memorable, and the instrumental backing by the cream of Nashville sessioneers, including innovative banjo whiz Bela Fleck and fiddle star Mark O'Connor, was beyond flawless. Bottom line: If this is what selling out sounds like then everybody else should sell out immediately.

Track Listing
1. Lone Star State of Mind
2. Cold Hearts / Closed Minds
3. From a Distance
4. Beacon Street
5. Nickel Dreams
6. Sing One For Sister
7. Ford Econoline
8. Trouble in the Fields
9. Love in a Memory
10. Let It Shine on Me
11. There's a Light Beyond These Woods (Mary Margaret)

Personnel: Nanci Griffith (vocals, acoustic guitar); Phillip Donnelly (acoustic & electric guitars); Patrick Alger (acoustic guitar, high-string guitar); Mac McAnally (acoustic guitar, background vocals); Rick West (acoustic guitar); Lloyd Green (dobro, pedal steel); Bela Fleck (banjo); John Catchings (cello); John Jarvis (piano); Emory Gordy (electric bass, mandolin); Roy Huskey, Jr. (upright bass); Russ Kunkel (drums, percussion); Lucy Kaplansky (background vocals).Recorded at Soundstage and The Back Stage Studios, Nashville, Tennessee in July 1986.

51ak4t0pCiL_zpsc157622f.jpg

On The Radio: Live 1956-57

The Dave Brubeck Quartet featuring Paul Desmond

2008 Acrobat Music (Made in England)

Dave Brubeck is one of the legendary figures of post-war modern jazz, and was one of the leading figures in the so-called West Coast Cool Jazz style. In 1954 he was sufficiently high profile to be only the second jazz musician, after Louis Armstrong, to be featured on the cover of Time magazine, where he was described as the most exciting new jazz artist at work today. His leaning towards improvisation and experimentation led to the landmark album, Time Out, in 1959. Recorded with Brubeck's classic Quartet line-up with Paul Desmond on alto sax, Joe Morello on drums and Eugene Wright on bass, Time Out
explored unusual time signatures, and resulted in the first million-selling jazz single on the pop charts, Take Five.

These live broadcasts from club performances in 1956-7 capture the group in a key period as the classic Quartet line-up evolved and Brubeck and Desmond explored the potential of their unique and uncanny musical relationship. Twelve tracks come from two gigs at the Basin Street Jazz Club in New York City in February 1956, with three additional tracks being recorded at The Blue Note, Chicago in March 1957. These capture the Brubeck Quartet as Dave developed the rhythm section which would complete the classic line-up featured on Time Out a couple of years later, with drummer Joe Morello joining between the two club dates represented. The club and radio atmosphere is underpinned by inclusion of the announcer links and intros.

Highly regarded UK label Acrobat Music is launching its US operations on October 21st 2008 with this as well as other re-issues that offer high quality and excellent value. All of the Premier Collection titles are showcased in deluxe packages with unique, consistent packaging, which include o-cards, extensive liner notes and either a large number of tracks or lengthy play time. Acrobat will be establishing its presence as the premier independent re-issue label in the US through its distribution deal with TVT Distribution.

Track Listing
1. Theme (The Duke) & Introduction
2. Stardust
3. Gone With The Wind
4. Stompin' for Mili
5. Out of Nowhere (Incomplete)
6. A Minor Thing
7. In Your Own Sweet Way
8. The Trolley Song
9. Introduction & The Duke
10. Love Walked In
11. Here Lies Love
12. All the Things You Are
13. Theme (The Duke) And Introduction
14. I'm In A Dancing Mood
15. The Song Is You

Personnel: Dave Brubeck (piano); Paul Desmond (alto saxophone); Norman Bates (bass instrument); Joe Dodge , Joe Morello (drums).Recording information: Basin Street Jazz Club, New York, NY (02/1956-03/1957); The Blue Note, Chicago, IL (02/1956-03/1957)

483b793509a045096d702110.L.jpg

Charlie Brown's Holiday Hits -- CD

Vince Guaraldi Trio

1998 Fantasy Records

Good Grief!, December 25, 1999
By Mark Savary "moon_city" (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Charlie Brown's Holiday Hits (Audio CD)

For years Charlie Brown was a holiday staple for our family. Between Snoopy soundtracks and Mister Rogers' walking-through-the-neighborhood music, I grew up with a real fondness for jazz.

Almost all of these cuts will be instantly recognizable, and those that aren't right off will eventually come to mind. The music will conjure up fond rememberances of childhood and holidays, which is a powerful combination. And besides, it's just plain fun to listen to.

Besides the classic "Linus & Lucy", the Christmas theme "Christmas Time is Here" followed by it's intrumental counterpart, and the hard to find "Thanksgiving Theme" make this CD a bargain.

For a fan of the Peanuts gang, this CD is anything but wishy-washy.

Track Listing
1. Joe Cool - (previously unreleased)
2. Surfin' Snoopy - (previously unreleased)
3. Heartburn Waltz - (previously unreleased)
4. Track Meet - (previously unreleased)
5. Camptown Races - (previously unreleased)
6. Oh, Good Grief! - (previously unreleased, vocal)
7. Charlie Brown Theme
8. Schroeder
9. Charlie's Blues - (previously unreleased)
10. Great Pumpkin Waltz - (previously unreleased)
11. Thanksgiving Theme - (previously unreleased)
12. Linus and Lucy
13. Christmas Time Is Here - (previously unreleased, vocal)
14. Christmas Time Is Here - (previously unreleased, TRUE instrumental)

Today's work truck music...

6421225b9da0da96ab736110.L.jpg

Lonely At The Top - The Best of Randy Newman -- Remastered CD

Randy Newman

1987 Warner Bros. Records

All Hail King Randy, August 2, 2002
By Itamar Katz (Ramat-Gan, Israel) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely at the Top (Audio CD)

'Lonely At The Top' is the best possible introduction to one of the most overlooked musical geniuses of the 20th century. If you're not familiar (or only briefly familiar) with the music of Randy Newman then this compilation will give you a fantastic selection of classics from the various stages of his career, from the charming pop ballads of his first album ('Love Story', 'Living Without You' and 'I Think It's Going To Rain Today'), through the cold, sharp sarcasm of Sail Away ('Political Science', 'God's Song', 'Sail Away'), and to the fantastic 80s guitar pop of 'Little Criminals' ('Jolly Coppers on Parade', 'Short People'). Eace and every one of the songs here is memorable, great songs like 'Rider In The Rain', 'My Old Kentucky Home', 'Rednecks', the disturbing 'Christmas in Capetown' and of course the unforgettable hit 'Lonely At The Top'. Slightly odd is the exclusion of the massive hit 'You Can Leave Your Hat On'; otherwise, for the casual listener, 'Lonely At The Top' is all the Randy Newman you should need (though, of course, it lacks his lovely 90s Disney themes like 'You've Got a Friend In Me' from Toy Story and 'If I Didn't Have You' from Monsters Inc.) If you enjoyed it, though, you are more than welcomed to make a stab at his wonderful albums (the best place to start would be either 'Sail Away', 'Good Old Boys', 'Randy Newman' or 'Little Criminals').

All tracks written by Randy Newman

"Love Story (You and Me)"
"Livin' Without You"
"I Think It's Going to Rain Today"
"Mama Told Me (Not to Come)"
"Old Kentucky Home"
"Sail Away"
"Simon Smith and the Amazing Dancing Bear"
"Political Science"
"God's Song (That's Why I Love Mankind)"
"Rednecks"
"Birmingham"
"Marie"
"Louisiana 1927"
"Baltimore"
"Jolly Coppers on Parade"
"Rider in the Rain"
"In Germany Before the War"
"Short People"
"Christmas in Cape Town"
"My Life Is Good"
"I Love L.A."
"Lonely at the Top" [Live]

41YPGJCEHRL._SL500_.jpg

B.G. & Big Tea in NYC -- CD

Benny Goodman & Jack Teagarden

1992 MCA/GRP Records

Amazon.com

This collection culls 21 cuts from 1929 to 1934 featuring the clarinet master and trombone star as young, brash, and in-demand New York sidemen. The players who dot these exciting sessions are the original "young lions": Goodman (not yet 20 at the first of these dates), Gene Krupa, and Joe Sullivan came to New York from the thriving Chicago scene and were joined by other recent arrivals including Teagarden, his younger brother Charlie, Glenn Miller, and the team of Eddie Lang and Joe Venuti. These boys already knew how to swing hard, and they did so more loosely than was the predominant New York style at the time; there's a tangible sense of exhilaration on most cuts. The four cuts with the already legendary (but rapidly declining) Bix Beiderbecke are nice treats but don't quite match the intensity of the rest of this terrific set. Goodman's tone is a bit grainier than it would become, but his improvisations even at this young age are assured, easy-flowing, and joyful. --Marc Greilsamer

Track Listing
1. (Back Home Again In) Indiana
2. Dinah
3. On the Alamo
4. Peg O' My Heart
5. Sweet Georgia Brown
6. China Boy
7. Sheik of Araby, The
8. Keep a Song in Your Soul
9. Loved One - (Take 1)
10. Loved One - (Take 2)
11. Deep Harlem
12. Strut, Miss Lizzie
13. Beale Street Blues
14. After You've Gone
15. Farewell Blues
16. Someday Sweetheart
17. It Had to Be You
18. Sugar
19. Davenport Blues
20. Somebody Loves Me
21. Riverboat Shuffle

KGrHqUOKiUE5hKZ6MP3BOdsqznVQ_1.jpg

On The Road -- CD

Louis Armstrong

1992 Delta Music

No other musician shaped and defined jazz quite like Louis Armstrong. Contrary to the inscription on Jelly Roll Morton's business cards, if anybody was the father of jazz, Armstrong was. ON THE ROAD is the perfect introduction to this inimitable band leader and trumpet icon. A collection of Pops Armstrong's biggest hits, including "Mack the Knife," "Baby, It's Cold Outside," and "C'est Si Bon," among others, this CD gives listeners a chance to hear this jazz legend really roar.Armstrong sings on many of these numbers, and of course plays the trumpet with great verve and precision. ON THE ROAD is a live concert probably recorded sometime in the early '60s--unfortunately, the CD's packaging doesn't indicate exactly when or where. Nonetheless, the stereo fidelity of this recording adds to the music's clarity, making Satchmo and his All Stars really sparkle. An extremely enjoyable, stimulating listen.

Track Listing
1. I Love Jazz
2. High Society
3. Ole Miss Blues
4. Blue Moon
5. Sweet Georgia Brown
6. Blues
7. Mack the Knife
8. Tenderly
9. You'll Never Walk Alone
10. Baby, It's Cold Outside
11. When It's Sleepy Time Down South
12. Mahogany Hall Stomp
13. C'Est Si Bon
14. Vie en Rose, La

Today's work truck music...

231808_1_f.jpg

Go To Heaven -- CD

Grateful Dead

1980 Arista Records

Alabama Getaway, November 5, 2002
By Bilbo Baggins (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Go to Heaven (Audio CD)

I remeber this album as one of the first Dead albums that the production started sounding full and worthy of the dead rythym section in the studio. Alabama Getaway is a perfect blend of commercially slick radio friendly sound while still retaining Jerry and Bob's superior technique and road earned mastery of subtle riffing and rythmic augmentation. Althea is so Deadly it defines the power of artistic hippy musical apptitude. I love this album because it is presentable to the mainstream but retains its freak flag flying high buried deep in the highest production fidelity money can buy. If you don't have a fully developed dead ear for psychadelic sound you can start your journey on track number one of Go to Heaven and work your way back to the first Dead Album. Enjoy the research. My the force be with you.

Side one

"Alabama Getaway" (Garcia, Hunter) – 3:36
"Far From Me" (Mydland) – 3:40
"Althea" (Garcia, Hunter) – 6:51
"Feel Like a Stranger" (Barlow, Weir) – 5:07

Side two

"Lost Sailor" (Barlow, Weir)– 5:54
"Saint of Circumstance" (Barlow, Weir) – 5:40
"Antwerp's Placebo (The Plumber)" (Hart, Kreutzmann) – 0:38
"Easy to Love You" (Barlow, Mydland) – 3:40
"Don't Ease Me In" (Traditional) – 3:13

After opening this thread several times, I'm amazed at how BFugly Brian Culbertson is (I love his music too, or at least the couple albums I have).
That is all; carry on.

Today's gettin' ready for the storm music....

51IOdabNFgL._SS500_.jpg

Like Never Before -- CD

Taj Mahal

1991 Private Music

From Gemm.com

Styles: Modern Blues.

Taj Mahal is a walking encyclopedia of black music and one of its most genial, enthusiastic partisans. To the catalog of genres he has mastered, both as a musician and as a scholar, contemporary R&B now can be added. Like Never Before finds him integrating synths, programming, turntable trickery and high-gloss studio polish on certain tracks. Understandable, that: Like everyone else, he wants to be heard. But unlike everyone else, he has assimilated a broad inventory of styles, sees them all as part of an evolving continuum and wants to share that wisdom.
Taj Mahal has been processing acoustic and electric blues, ragtime, calypso, reggae and native African forms for a quarter of a century now. So while Like Never Before makes its timely nods to current trends, it also slips into older, more rough-hewn modes. The album can be seen as a guided tour, starting from a point familiar to contemporary listeners and then gradually backtracking into the blues and other roots styles. Because it also is the most crisp, detailed recording Taj has ever made – fuzzy sound quality has been a hindrance on some of his wonderful early work – Like Never Before might just be the definitive Taj Mahal album.

Track Listing
1. Don't Call Us
2. River of Love
3. Scattered
4. Every Wind (In the River)
5. Blues With a Feeling
6. Squat That Rabbit
7. Take All the Time You Need
8. Love Up
9. Cakewalk into Town
10. Big Legged Mamas Are Back in Style
11. Take a Giant Step

519gwJRDsiL._SS500_.jpg

Hard Rain -- CD

Bob Dylan

1976 Columbia Records

Very underrated October 4, 2003
By Docendo Discimus
Format:Audio CD

If you sometimes find yourself shouting "Judas" at the radio when Bob Dylan comes on playing something band-backed, this record is probably not your thing.
Me, I love it. It's too short by far, but Dylan and the Rolling Thunder band rock like never before or since. In my opinion, the intense "Hard Rain" is just as great as the fabled "Live 1966" (the so-called Royal Albert Hall concert from the Free Trade Hall in Manchester).

Bob Dylan and his band play some of the hardest, rawest and most ragged rock n' roll music of his entire career - just listen to him tearing through a spiced-up "Maggie's Farm" or doing a melodic folk-rock interpretation of "One Too Many Mornings".
But the highlight of "Hard Rain" has to be the closing ten-minute rendition of the venomous "Idiot Wind". Dylan sneers and shouts his way through a magnificent version of one of his most memorable songs - that one cut alone is worth the price of admission. Powerful stuff!

All songs by Bob Dylan, except where noted.

"Maggie's Farm"– 5:23
"One Too Many Mornings"– 3:47
"Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again"– 6:01
"Oh, Sister" (Dylan, Jacques Levy)– 5:08
"Lay Lady Lay"– 4:47
"Shelter from the Storm"– 5:29
"You're a Big Girl Now"– 7:01
"I Threw It All Away"– 3:18
"Idiot Wind"– 10:21

Today's after the storm music....

61lx4TEO2FL.jpg

Rickie Lee Jones -- CD

Rickie Lee Jones

1979/1990 Warner Bros. Records

Amazon.com

The breezy melodies and jazz stylings of Rickie Lee Jones's debut album are usually found in the works of more mature pop artists. It's only the exuberance of Jones's often cackling voice that reminds you that a 23-year-old is at the controls. And Jones's "little girl lost" perspective, while hanging out in mid-1970s Los Angeles with neo-Beat songwriters-barroom troubadours Tom Waits and Chuck E. Weiss, makes for colorful storytelling. In fact, her tale about Weiss, "Chuck E.'s in Love," hit the Top 10. But there's a lot more elegant stuff here: "Last Chance Texaco" is a soaring ballad about automobiles and broken hearts, and the Sinatra-esque "After Hours" features a lonely Jones singing to a lamppost. --Bill Crandall

Songs written by Rickie Lee Jones, except where noted.

"Chuck E.'s In Love" 3:28
"On Saturday Afternoons In 1963" – 2:31
"Night Train" – 3:14
"Young Blood" – 4:04
"Easy Money" – 3:16
"The Last Chance Texaco" – 4:05
"Danny's All-Star Joint" – 4:01
"Coolsville" – 3:49
"Weasel And The White Boys Cool" (Rickie Lee Jones, Alfred Johnson) – 6:00
"Company" (Rickie Lee Jones, Alfred Johnson) – 4:40
"After Hours (Twelve Bars Past Midnight)" – 2:13

:text-goodpost: Dennie, did you catch all the gas company puns in Last Chance Texaco? That tune gives me goosebumps. :bow-blue:

I think I nailed Zing's third choice for Christmas music among our collection. We have a few TSO Christmas choices. If it isn't this one, it's ' The Lost Christmas Eve'.

The_Christmas_Attic.jpg

Ever see them in concert? Damn, they do some things that KISS would be proud of! :scared-eek:

Back