• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

red-norvo-good-vibes-cd-lacrado-141_zps0365e5b6.jpg

Good Vibes -- Remastered CD

Red Norvo

1943-45/1997 Drive Records

This budget CD gives listeners highlights from several V-Disc sessions headed by vibraphonist Red Norvo during the 1943-44 period. Most of the selections feature Norvo heading an octet that has a couple of lesser-known but talented horn players (trumpeter Dale Pierce and trombonist Dick Taylor) plus clarinetist Aaron Sachs, the great tenor Flip Phillips, pianist Ralph Burns, bassist Clyde Lombardi and drummer Johnny Blowers. In addition, there are guest appearances by singer Helen Ward ("Too Marvelous for Words") and pianist Teddy Wilson. The music is essentially late-period swing, with Norvo in superb form on such numbers as "1-2-3-4 Jump," the boppish "Purple Feathers," "In a Mellow Tone" and a couple numbers ("Seven Come Eleven" and "Flying Home") more closely associated with Lionel Hampton. Although this CD is the length of an LP and the sessions are not quite complete, the music is worthwhile and inexpensively priced. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Seven Come Eleven
2. Lagwood Walk
3. The Sergeant on Furlough
4. Too Marvelous for Words
5. 1-2-3-4 Jump
6. Purple Feathers
7. In a Mellow Tone
8. Flying Home
9. The Bass on the Barroom Floor
10. Which Switch Witch
11. Blue Skies

Personnel: Red Norvo (vibraphone); Flip Phillips (tenor saxophone); Dale Pierce (trumpet); Dick Taylor (trombone); Aaron Sachs (clarinet); Ralph Burns, Teddy Wilson, Specs Powell (piano); Remo Palmieri (guitar); Clyde Lombardi, Al Hall (bass); Johnny Blowers, Danny Negri, Eddie Dell (drums).Recorded between October 28, 1943 and February 28, 1945.

510C5CM3RvL.jpg

Girl Singer -- SACD

Rosemary Clooney

1992/2003 Concord Records

Classic Rosie October 11, 2007
By Scott T. Rivers VINE™ VOICE
Format:Audio CD

No matter the era, Rosemary Clooney remains among the great vocal stylists. Her repertoire of smooth jazz and classic pop finds the ideal showcase with "Girl Singer." This 1992 Concord Jazz recording contains some of Rosie's finest music: "Nice 'N' Easy," "Sweet Kentucky Ham," "Miss Otis Regrets" and "Straighten Up and Fly Right." The hybrid SACD resolution works wonders on a DVD/CD player. Clooney's entire catalog should be reissued in this multichannel format.

1. Nice 'N' Easy
2. Sweet Kentucky Ham
3. Autumn in New York
4. Miss Otis Regrets
5. Let There Be Love
6. Lovers After All
7. From This Moment On
8. More Than You Know
9. Wave
10. We Fell in Love Anyway
11. Ellington Medley: It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
12. Of Course It's Crazy
13. Straighten Up and Fly Right
14. The Best Is Yet to Come

51-FKAxd14L._SS500_.jpg

Larry & Lee -- CD

Lee Ritenour & Larry Carlton

1995 GRP Records

Double Your Pleasure, June 21, 2001
By Russell Diederich (Littleton, CO United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Larry & Lee (Audio CD)

There is something special about two guitarists trading licks back and forth. Funny how four years after this album Larry Carlton would end up replacing Lee Ritenour in the group Foreplay. This album will not disappoint you if you're a fan of either guitarist. Both men are incredibly talented with the guitar, and play with real drive and emotion.

The album starts out with a great tune in "Crosstown Kids", which prepares you for what's to come. "L.A. Underground" really steps it up with Ritenour leading the way, breaking in several places to give Carlton a place to play. On the cut, "After the Rain" they lay back and play a very smooth piece before turning it up again on "Remembering". Throughout the album, these guitarists use each other to springboard to new levels of playing. They take turns expanding on an idea, combining their styles to really bring out some fun music.

There is some very good stuff on this album. Ritenour's smooth playing is counterbalanced by the bluesy edge of Carlton's. The complement is enjoyable, and it gives quite a coloring to the music. Guitar fans should find this album very impressive. It is one that I keep revisiting.

Track listing

1. Crosstown Kids
2. Low Steppin'
3. LA Underground
4. Closed Door Jam
5. After The Rain
6. Remembering JP
7. Fun In The Dark
8. Lota About Nothin'
9. Take That
10. Up And Adam
11. Reflections Of A Guitar Player

4f74024128a01e8ede44f010.L.jpg

Deep Into It -- CD

Larry Carlton

2001 Warner Bros. Records

Some of jazz' finest musicians join guitarist Larry Carlton on Deep Into It, his second CD as a leader for the Warner Bros. Jazz label. Carlton wrote six new songs for this offering, and covers such songs as "Put It Where You Want It," written by Joe Sample, and the Stevie Winwood hit "Roll With It." Accompanying musicians are Chris Potter on saxophone and Billy Kilson on drums, both known primarily for their work with the Dave Holland Quintet; Harvey Mason, who holds down the rhythm logic on "I Still Believe"; and smooth jazz phenom Kirk Whalum, who turns in a great solo on the title track, on tenor saxophone. The two tenor saxophonists are highly capable in different approaches, and Carlton makes good use of both Potter and Whalum throughout the program. R&B hitmaker Shai lends his soulful vocals to "I Can't Tell You Why," and truly gives the Eagles' mega-hit a fresh interpretation with his one-of-a-kind artistry. Carlton's updated interpretations are a nice mixture of smooth, pop, and jazz guitar stylings, making for very creative listening on the beautiful "Closer to Home." His mellow tones and picking techniques are but two of the most fetching aspects of this work, as well as his new phrasings and smooth sound. These characteristics -- tone, phrasings, the shape of his underlying musical ideas, and the ability to connect emotionally with the listener -- are a few of the differences between Deep Into It and Carlton's previous effort, Fingerprints, and are all solid reasons for adding this CD to your smooth jazz collection. ~ Paula Edelstein

Track Listing
1. Put It Where You Want It
2. Deep into It
3. Don't Break My Heart
4. I Still Believe - (featuring Wendy Moten)
5. Morning Magic
6. It's a Groove Thang
7. Closer to Home
8. I Can't Tell You Why - (featuring Shai)
9. Like Butta'
10. Roll with It
11. Put It Where You Want It - (Extended Version)

51NCI5ZeF1L.jpg

Uncommon Ritual -- CD

Edgar Meyer with Bela Fleck and Mike Marshall

1997 Sony Classical

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...

Uncommon Ritual is the second album released by Sony Classical of string trios, following Appalachia Waltz, with unusual instrumentation and influences from bluegrass and folk music to create an Americana-style of traditional classical music. Uncommon Ritual adds jazz, blues, and elements from world music to the mix. Regarding the genre-defying nature of the music, New York times music critic Ben Ratliff wrote, "Despite its inclusion of Bach and Pablo de Sarasate's "Zigeunerweisen", Uncommon Ritual is not a classical album. But neither does it belong to bluegrass, traditional Irish music, jazz or any of the other traditions it lightly borrows from. It's sort of a chamberized health shake of music that's acceptable to a National Public Radio listenership: it comes with an unmistakable patina of culture, the pieces are brief and funny and the sound of the music is comfortably familiar."[3] The trio includes double-bassist and composer Edgar Meyer, banjoist and composer Béla Fleck, and mandolin player Mike Marshall. The album is noted for the variety of instruments used, and the performers' ability to change instruments fluently within songs. The pairing of these three musicians was new for the recording of this album, however Meyer and Fleck's musical relationship dates back to the mid-80's.

1. Uncommon Ritual
2. Seesaw
3. Sliding Down
4. Chromium Picolinate
5. Contramonkey
6. Chance Meeting
7. Zigeunerweisen
8. Travis
9. Old Tyme
10. Contrapunctus XIII From 'The Art Of The Fugue'
11. Third Movement From 'Amalgamations For Solo Bass'
12. By The River
13. Big Country
14. Barnyard Disturbance
15. In The Garden
16. Child's Play
17. The Big Cheese

81sfuYRaTML_zps9a41bf10.jpg

Americana -- CD/Blu-Ray Audio

Modern Mandolin Quartet

2012 Sono Luminus

Brand New MMQ!
By Oscar O. Veterano on September 24, 2012
Format: Blu-ray Audio
AMERICANA - Modern Mandolin Quartet - Sono Luminus

The term "Americana" has been used for everything from the title for a Don DeLillo novel to a radio marketing term for otherwise uncategorizable singer-songwriters.
In their latest recording, the Modern Mandolin Quartet propose their own definition and continue their successful blending of the familiar and the unexpected. Their performances of the folk melody, "Shenandoah" and the "Irish Roots Medley" (as well as the live concert favorite, "Bill Monroe Medley") speak to their knowledge of `home-grown' American music, while their arrangements of Aaron Copland's "Hoedown" and the previously recorded "Cool" by Leonard Bernstein seem to make even these modern `standards' more accessible.
However, the real strength of this record lies in their rendering of Dvorak's "American" string quartet (No. 12 in F, Op. 96) and "String Quartet No. 3" by Phillip Glass, both played with the taste and timing, dexterity and dynamics one has come to expect from this group. George Gershwin's "Three Piano Preludes", like the Glass composition, further allow them to exhibit that rarest of all musical qualities and the one sure sign of genuine virtuosity, imagination.
From folk songs to film scores, "Americana" by the Modern Mandolin Quartet proves, once again, the depth and diversity of American music and demonstrates the truth of the old adage that good musicians may play music well, but great musicians bring it to life.

Highest possible recommendation 10 out of 10 Oscar O. Veterano

81Ougb6qGhL_zpsaf3fe36d.jpg

Happy Sunday everyone.... :banana-dance:

7fd1f0cdd7a0c6c60f4d6110.L.jpg

Silent Night, Holy Night -- CD

Mahalia Jackson

1992 Sony Music Special Products

A treasure in modest trappings December 25, 2007
By Phil S.
Format:Audio CD

What a surprise to find this collection available at a booksellers' chain, and for well under $10.00!
As a James Brown fan, and "Sweet Little Baby Boy" enthusiast, I was thrilled to note the album closer song title, which naturally I presume is the reference disc for the 1966 JB entry.
Yes, "Sweet Little Jesus Boy" is here, and although it's sonic similarity is not immediately apparent, it surely is another golden ornament for the holiday fixture.
Mahalia Jackson is a brilliant singer, no doubt, and her mesmerizing voice is at home with something "commmercial" like "White Christmas", or something more "traditional", like "Silent Night, Holy Night". The Gospel "Go Tell It On The Mountain", and the Inspirational "I Wonder As I Wander" are incandescent all year 'round.
"No Room At The Inn", is a medium tempo number, new to me, that even with the spare support, builds and builds musically through Mahalia's commanding technique.
As a Special Product, it can be expected that this reissue does not feature liner notes, or even writers' credits, so this CD might not suit the historian/collector. Though what is not visible is not the thing here.

1. Silent Night, Holy Night
2. No Room At The Inn
3. Oh Little Town Of Bethlehem
4. The Holy Babe
5. Joy To The World
6. O Come, All Ye Faithful (Adeste Fideles)
7. Go Tell It On The Mountain
8. White Christmas
9. I Wonder As I Wander
10. Sweet Little Jesus Boy

ab149833e7a0e2c7a14b2110.L.jpg

Have Yourself A Soulful Little Christmas -- Remastered 96/24 Bit CD

Kenny Burrell

1966/2003 Cadet/Verve Records

Kenny Burrell: Soulful Little Christmas, December 12, 2011
By
D.R.L. (Austin, Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Have Yourself a Soulful Little Christmas (Audio CD)

~ I have a lot of Kenny Burrell CDs in my collection. I have a fair number of Christmas CDs in my collection. Having this CD that combines the two is wonderful. I had the original 1966 LP version and wore it out by playing it so many times every Christmas season. Having it on CD allows me to play and re-play it and enjoy it even more than I did in the past.
~ The arrangements by Richard Evans, Kenny, and Esmond Edwards on various tunes are outstanding - orchestra conducted by Richard Evans.
Kenny's solos are as usual tasteful, artistic, and swinging.
~ All tracks are excellent, but "Little Drummer Boy" and "My Favorite Things" are elevated to the level of being great by the arrangements and solos.
~ If you play this CD along with Jimmy Smith's Christmas Cookin' CD you will have yourself a Jazzy Little Christmas.

Track Listing
1. Little Drummer Boy, The
2. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
3. My Favorite Things
4. Away in a Manger
5. Mary's Little Boy Chile
6. White Christmas
7. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
8. Christmas Song, The
9. Go Where I Send Thee
10. Silent Night
11. Twelve Days of Christmas
12. Merry Christmas Baby

Personnel includes: Kenny Burrell (guitar); Richard Evans (arranger, conductor); Esmond Edwards (arranger), others unknown. Recorded at Ter-Mar Studios, Chicago, Illinois in October 1966. Originally released on Cadet (779). Includes liner notes by Barbara J. Gardner

51kp1KXZzxL.jpg

The Other Side -- CD

Chuck Brown and Eva Cassidy

1992 Liaison/Cbd Records

Only in America could an album like this have come together: Eva Cassidy, a young vocalist who, had she lived, might have gone on to become her generation's favorite song interpreter, trading verses with Chuck Brown, seasoned godfather of the D.C. underground funk movement known as go-go. By the time this was recorded in 1992, the go-go trend had long since peaked for Brown, while the twentysomething Cassidy was still an unknown local session vocalist. Yet, on this set of standards, the two collaborate as if they were picking up where they'd left off decades earlier, from easy-riding versions of "Let the Good Times Roll" and "Gee Baby, Ain't I Good to You" to near-definitive renditions of "Over the Rainbow" and "Dark End of the Street." And while it's easy to focus on the posthumously acclaimed Cassidy, Brown's haunting solo turn on "You Don't Know What Love Is" suggests that unjustly overlooked talents are still making music in the shadows of our nation's capital. --Bill Forman

"Let the Good Times Roll" (Shirley Goodman, Leonard Lee) - 3:12
"Fever" (Eddie Cooley, John Davenport) - 4:16
"You Don't Know Me" (Eddy Arnold, Cindy Walker) - 4:59
"I Could Have Told You So" (Jimmy Van Heusen, Carl Sigman) - 3:31
"Gee, Baby, Ain't I Good to You" (Andy Razaf, Don Redman) - 2:44
"I'll Go Crazy" (James Brown) - 2:50
"You Don't Know What Love Is" (Gene de Paul, Don Raye) - 4:40 (Chuck Brown solo)
"Drown in My Own Tears" (Henry Glover) - 5:37
"God Bless the Child" (Billie Holiday, Arthur Herzog, Jr.) - 3:18 (Eva Cassidy solo)
"Red Top" (Ben Kynard, Lionel Hampton) - 2:55
"Dark End of the Street" (Dan Penn, Chips Moman) - 3:55 (Eva Cassidy solo)
"The Shadow of Your Smile" (Johnny Mandel, Paul Francis Webster) - 3:30
"Over the Rainbow" (Harold Arlen, E.Y. Harburg) - 5:02 (Eva Cassidy solo)
"You've Changed" (Bill Carey, Carl Fischer) - 4:00

Another track from these sessions, "Need Your Love So Bad", appears on the Eva Cassidy album Eva by Heart.

91A8DJ-SYTL_zpse3ad8ea2.jpg

Cheek To Cheek -- Deluxe Edition CD

Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga

2014 Columbia/Streamline Records

Just so very special!
By Richard B. Green VINE VOICE on September 23, 2014
Format: MP3 Music
A couple of years ago when, at Thanksgiving, Lady Gaga appeared in a holiday special with guest performer Tony Bennett, I said, "They should do an album together." And now we have it. Tony is a miracle...I mean, come on, eighty-eight years of age and he sounds absolutely fabulous! And now with his sixty-year-younger partner, Tony just proves (as if he has to) that he holds such a very special place in the world of music. Both Tony and the Lady introduce each other to their respective audiences, winning for each even more fans of just really good music. What I like about this pairing is what I don't care for on the new Barbra Streisand album...Tony has found someone with whom he pairs so well; Barbra tends to just show up the minimal talents, for the most part, of those she chooses to sing with...except for Michael Buble. An album of duets with just him would have been perfection! Tony instead finds a vocalist whose style meshes so well with his; he did the same in the work he did with k.d. lang. They worked so well together. The same happens here with Lady Gaga. If you've seen them interviewed together or if you look back to Tony's last duet album and the music he made with her, you can tell they get such a kick out of making music together. Those of us who enjoy the standards are very happy indeed, the lucky recipients of this treasure they've created.

Track Listing
1. Anything Goes
2. Cheek To Cheek
3. Don't Wait Too Long
4. I Can't Give You Anything But Love
5. Nature Boy
6. Goody Goody
7. Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye
8. Firefly
9. I Won't Dance
10. They All Laughed
11. Lush Life
12. Sophisticated Lady
13. Let's Face The Music & Dance
14. But Beautiful
15. It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)

81l9lF7YqjL_zps6c27795c.jpg

Live: The Authorized Bootleg -- CD

Joey DeFrancesco with George Coleman

2007 Concord Music

Recorded off the soundboard during a four-night stand at the famed Oakland, CA, jazz spot Yoshi's in April of 2006, Hammond B-3 boss Joey DeFrancesco laid it down with saxophonist George Coleman sitting in with his trio (which also includes guitarist Jake Langley and drummer Byron Landham). Even though these cuts are pieced together from all four nights rather than taken from one continuous performance, their raw and genuine excitement is not diminished a bit by editing. The set opens with DeFrancesco introducing Coleman. He begins to play while strolling to the mike, playing all the way along. When he arrives, he elegantly wraps up his prelude and the band steams into a smoking rendition of "Cherokee." Coleman's on fire yet fluid, wrapping the notes around the time signature and being on the dime throughout his solo. DeFrancesco's own solo is one of those rather amazing things that, 50 years after Jimmy Smith, you still can't wrap your head around: that this lightning-quick playing can be done on a Hammond! A long read of Lee Morgan's gorgeous "Ceora" is next, with DeFrancesco filling the pockets during Coleman's fine and empathetic solo, which engages the melody while simultaneously reinventing it. With the exception of "Cherokee" and "I'm in the Mood for Love" (with a guest vocal appearance by Colleen McNabb on the latter), which both come in at under seven minutes, the other cuts here all clock in at over ten, with "Ceora" being the longest at nearly 14. The other extended workouts include an exciting "On Green Dolphin Street," with Coleman doing his best playing on record since he appeared in Cedar Walton's Eastern Rebellion outfit. His reach for a modal frame in the solo is breathtakingly unexpected. Another pair of standards close out the set in "Little Girl Blue" and "Autumn Leaves." DeFrancesco is his typically dazzling, solidly rhythmic self, but Coleman is the true star of the evening, and it is obvious that the bandleader wants it that way. He was the one who heard these fine renditions, and in particular Coleman's stellar playing, and insisted the recording be released. This is one of first essential jazz purchases of 2007. ~ Thom Jurek

Track Listing
1. Introduction -- Joey
2. Cherokee
3. Ceora
4. I'm in the Mood for Love
5. On Green Dolphin Street
6. Little Girl Blue
7. Autumn Leaves

Personnel: Joey DeFrancesco (Hammond b-3 organ, keyboards); Colleen McNabb (vocals); Jake Langley (guitar); Byron Landham (drums).Additional personnel: George Coleman (saxophone).Audio Mixer: Tim Hunnicutt.Liner Note Author: Michael Florio.Recording information: Yoshi's At Jack London Square, Oakland, CA (04/06/2006-04/09/2006).Editor: Tim Hunnicutt.Photographer: Giancarlo Tallarico.Arranger: Joey DeFrancesco

61WZBMWHF5L._SS500_.jpg

Say That! -- CD

Grant Geissman

2006 Futurism Records

Guitarist Grant Geissman became quite a well-known name in smooth jazz for a time, though he grew tired of its repetitive nature and decided to return to straight-ahead jazz. This two-day session consists of originals that are drenched with influences from well-known hard bop dates by jazz legends. The opener, "Say That," will surprise his smooth jazz fans with its potent solos by tenor saxophonist Brian Scanlon, pianist Emilio Palame, and the leader. Geissman's "Theme from Two and a Half Men" is rarely heard for more than a few seconds at a time on network television (and in a doo wop vocal setting at that), so this humorous, swinging instrumental arrangement demonstrates its full possibilities. "Grandfather's Banjo" actually features Geissman playing his grandfather's five-string banjo, backed by Trey Henry (on tuba), Scanlon (clarinet), Palame, and drummer Ray Brinker; this infectious piece has a classic jazz feeling with a clearly modern flavor. Smooth jazz fans may be slow to check out Grant Geissman's Say That, but every other jazz collector should snap it up and join the fun (which includes the colorful artwork and Bill Milkowski's enjoyable liner notes). ~ Ken Dryden

Track Listing
1. Say That!
2. What's the Story?
3. Point of View
4. Theme from Two and a Half Men
5. Yes or No?
6. New York Stories
7. Grandfather's Banjo
8. Bossa
9. Wrong Is Right
10. Spy Versus Spy
11. Siete
12. Below the Radar
13. Wes Is More

51ZXzBAt7UL.jpg

The Feeling's Back -- Hybrid SACD

Chuck Mangione

1999/2004 Chesky Records

Chuck Mangione laid low throughout much of the '90s, perhaps the end result of a disappointing string of albums for Columbia during the '80s. He returned to the road in 1997 and evidently it was a positive experience, since he returned to the studio the following year to cut The Feeling's Back. For all intents and purposes, The Feeling's Back is a comeback album, finding Mangione returning to the smooth, melodic style of Feels So Good, but laying off the sappy pop tendencies that dogged his '80s efforts. Although the end result is a little monotonous -- many of the tracks are quiet and slowly swinging, blending together into one long track -- it's charmingly laid-back, mellow and melodic, all of the things that brought Mangione fame and fortune in the '70s. There isn't a whole lot in the way of "real" jazz here -- the solos are extensions of the themes, and they never stand apart from the lite groove -- but this has the "feeling" that Mangione fans have been waiting to feel again. And that's enough to make it a successful comeback. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Track Listing
1. Mountain Flight
2. Consuelo's Love Theme
3. Leonardo's Lady
4. Fotografia
5. Quase
6. Aldovio
7. Once upon a Love Theme
8. Manha de Carnaval
9. Maracangalha
10. La Vie en Rose

Personnel: Chuck Mangione (flugelhorn); Maucha Adnet, Jackie Presti, AnnetteSanders (vocals); Gerry Niewood (flute, alto flute); Sarah Carter (cello);Cliff Korman (piano, keyboards); Jay Azzolina (guitar); David Finck (acoustic& electric basses); Kip Reid (electric bass); Paulo Braga (drums); Cafe (percussion).Recorded at St. Peter's Episcopal Church, New York, New York on October 19-23, 1998

Happy Monday everyone... :roll:

a3e0024128a01210aafb6010.L.jpg

A Momentary Lapse of Reason -- CD

Pink Floyd

1987/1997 Columbia

Amazon.com

Though many predicted that Roger Waters's acrimonious split with the band after 1983's aptly named Final Cut would ultimately spell the end of Pink Floyd, the remaining band members confounded pundits by extending their status as classic rock's most ponderous dinosaurs into the 1990s and beyond. And if the title was a gentle jab at Waters after a years-long legal struggle over the Floyd moniker, the music was all too familiar; some would say even formulaic. And lest anyone doubted that the absence of Waters's dour soul would lighten things up a bit, guitarist and post facto leader Dave Gilmour gamely took on the Mantle of Conscience for topics ranging from the cold war ("The Dogs of War") to yuppie self-indulgence ("On the Turning Away"). And if this album sometimes evokes an uncomfortable feeling of a band on autopilot, it's one that can still turn out the likes of the anthemic "Learning to Fly" on cruise control. --Jerry McCulley

1. Signs of Life [Instrumental]
2. Learning to Fly
3. Dogs of War
4. One Slip
5. On the Turning Away
6. Yet Another Movie/Round and Around
7. New Machine, Pt. 1
8. Terminal Frost
9. New Machine, Pt. 2
10. Sorrow

d2f4793509a0919d804b7110.L.jpg

The Road To Ensenada -- CD

Lyle Lovett

1996 MCA Records

Amazon.com essential recording

After the more experimental themes and misanthropic bit players populating his prior album, I Love Everybody, the songs on this superb 1996 set return to the more affable, earnest, but still knotty balance established by Lyle Lovett on his first four albums. He spins amiable yarns about his preferred headgear ("Don't Touch My Hat") and larger-than-life love objects (the one-eyed "Fiona"), sways hilariously through the backfired seductions of the samba-paced "Her First Mistake," and swings buoyantly through "That's Right (You're Not from Texas)," then ropes the equally droll Randy Newman into a tongue-in-cheek duet on "Long Tall Texan." In between, he sneaks a fresh string of dark love songs ("Private Conversation," "I Can't Love You Anymore") that sustain his formidable standards. Forget the forced issue of his putative ties to "new country": Lovett is simply one of the best American singer-songwriters extant, whether playing raconteur, philosopher king, or wounded romantic. --Sam Sutherland

All songs composed by Lyle Lovett except as noted.

"Don't Touch My Hat" – 3:47
"Her First Mistake" – 6:28
"Fiona" – 4:09
"That's Right (You're Not from Texas)" (Lovett, Ramsey, Rogers) – 4:54
"Who Loves You Better" – 4:46
"Private Conversation" – 4:32
"Promises" – 3:07
"It Ought To Be Easier" – 4:11
"I Can't Love You Anymore" – 3:14
"Long Tall Texan" (Henry Strzelecki) – 3:27
"Christmas Morning" – 3:43
"The Road To Ensenada" – 10:12
"The Girl in the Corner" -- hidden at the end of track 12, following 1:30 of silence

UM-SIMILARSKIN-COVER-HIREZ-e1395945991392.jpg

:music-rockout:

(only after seeing the album cover on my computer monitor did I realize what it was... :eek: )

51AEWtd7lCL.jpg

Madman Across The Water -- CD

Elton John

1971 Polydor Records

The first of the best, April 27, 2011
By L. Lawhead "LSquared" (SW Illinois) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Madman Across the Water (Audio CD)

This was the first Elton John album I owned (on vinyl), and there was no doubt about upgrading to CD/digital. A very solid offering from what I consider his peak period. From Madman, to Honky Chateau, into Don't Shoot Me, culminating with Goodbye Yellow Brick. All excellent, all worth having. Looking back over 35+ years, I'd rate this as the least excellent of that quartet, but all are worthy. But Madman (which peaked at only #8) laid the groundwork for the subsequent string of #1 albums.

Levon was the hit, peaking at #24, and Tiny Dancer just missed the Top 40 (peaked at #41). Both were mainstays of AOR radio, as was the title track. All are classic songs.

The rest of the album is not quite as as memorable. Holiday Inn & Rotten Peaches are certainly solid. But Indian Sunset always seemed a little overblown, and I never quite got the whole think about an Englishman singing (fisrt person) about the plight of the Native Americans... All The Nasties and Goodbbye are pretty much forgettable. Not bad, but certainly not essential.

1. "Tiny Dancer" 6:15
2. "Levon" 5:22
3. "Razor Face" 4:44
4. "Madman Across the Water" 5:56
5. "Indian Sunset" 6:45
6. "Holiday Inn" 4:17
7. "Rotten Peaches" 4:56
8. "All the Nasties" 5:08
9. "Goodbye" 1:48

When this album was issued on cassette MCA swapped the places of "Razor Face" and "Rotten Peaches" on side one and two of the tape. The SACD version of the album contained a longer version of "Razor Face" which extended the song-ending jam to 6:42 instead of the early fade on the original album.

The song "Holiday Inn" was written for Adam Diaz. An additional verse in the recorded version that was originally part of the song was either omitted during recording or edited out of the final album version. It can, however, be heard on "unofficial" live recordings of the song from some of his concerts during this period, which have circulated among collectors.

^ I have 37 of his albums and Madman Across The Water is easily in my top 5. :handgestures-thumbup:

^^^ I agree, one of his finest! :handgestures-thumbup:

519i75XfTVL.jpg

Zoot Sims and the Gershwin Brothers -- SACD

1990/2003 Pablo/Concord Records

Along with his album with Count Basie (Basie and Zoot) during the same period, this is one of Sims' most exciting recordings of his career. Greatly assisted by pianist Oscar Peterson, guitarist Joe Pass, bassist George Mraz, and drummer Grady Tate, he explores ten songs written by George and Ira Gershwin. Somehow the magic was definitely present and, whether it be stomps such as "The Man I Love," "Lady Be Good," and "I Got Rhythm" or warm ballads (including "I've Got a Crush on You" and "Embraceable You"), Zoot Sims is heard at the peak of his powers. A true gem. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. The Man I Love
2. How Long Has This Been Going On?
3. Lady Be Good Oh
4. I've Got a Crush on You
5. I Got Rhythm
6. Embraceable You
7. 'S Wonderful
8. Someone to Watch over Me
9. Isn't It a Pity?
10. Summertime
11. They Can't Take That Away from Me

Personnel: Zoot Sims (tenor saxophone); Oscar Peterson (piano); Joe Pass (guitar); George Mraz (acoustic bass); Grady Tate (drums).Originally released on Pablo (2310-744).

JimmyForrestSoulStreet_zps027efe92.jpg

Soul Street -- Remastered CD

Jimmy Forrest Quintet, Sextet and with The Oliver Nelson Big Band

1962/1998 Prestige New Jazz/Fantasy Records

A popular yet underrated tenor saxophonist, Jimmy Forrest is featured in several different settings on this 1998 CD reissue. Forrest matches wits with fellow tenors King Curtis and Oliver Nelson on "Soul Street" (his opening phrase is a classic), plays three standards (including an effective "Sonny Boy") with a combo that includes pianist Hugh Lawson and is featured on "I Wanna Blow, Blow, Blow" with a nonet also featuring trombonist Buster Cooper. The remainder of the CD has Forrest showcased on three numbers with an octet arranged by Oliver Nelson. These tracks are of lesser interest (particularly Henry Mancini's "Experiment in Terror") but still include some fine tenor playing. With this reissue, all of Forrest's work for the Prestige and New Jazz labels has been made available on CD. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Soul Street
2. I Love You
3. Sonny Boy
4. Soft Summer Breeze
5. Experiment in Terror
6. Just A-Sittin' and A-Rockin'
7. That's All
8. Blow, Blow - (Take 2, bonus track) I Wanna Blow

Personnel: Jimmy Forrest (tenor saxophone); Oliver Nelson (conductor, tenor saxophone); Jerome Richardson (alto saxophone, flute); King Curtis (tenor saxophone); Pepper Adams (baritone saxophone); Art Farmer, Idrees Sulieman (trumpet); George "Buster" Cooper (trombone); Gene Casey, Hugh Lawson, Ray Bryant (piano); Calvin Newborn, Tiny Grimes (guitar); George Duvivier, Tommy Potter, Wendell Marshall (bass); Roy Haynes, Clarence Johnston, Osie Johnson (drums); Ray Barretto (congas).Oliver Nelson Big Band includes: George Barrow, Seldon Powell (tenor saxophone); Ernie Royal (trumpet); Jimmy Cleveland (trombone); Chris Woods (piano); Mundell Lowe (guitar); Richard Davis (bass); Ed Shaughnessy (drums).Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on August 29, 1958 and at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey between September 9, 1960 and June 1, 1962. Includes liner notes by Dan Morgenstern.Digitally remastered by Phil De Lancie (1998, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).

Back