• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Happy Monday everyone.... :doh:

ellington_indigos_zps82335411.jpg

Indigos -- 24/192khz DVD-A

Duke Ellington

2014 HD Tape Transfers

Title: Duke Ellington Indigos
Artist(s): Duke Ellington and his Orchestra
Recording Info: Transferred from a 15ips 2-track tape
Recorded by Columbia 1957 in NYC
Please Note: Tracks 1 & 8 had to be converted to DXD during
the mastering process for editing reasons

01. Prelude To A Kiss
02. Willow Weep For Me
03. Tenderly
04. Dancing In The Dark
05. Solitude
06. Where or When
07. Mood Indigo
08. Autumn Leaves

51Wb7H%2BFM6L.jpg

Lullabies of Birdland -- CD

Ella Fitzgerald

2007 Verve Records

With her impeccably clean phrasing, fluid scat-singing, and confident sense of swing, Ella Fitzgerald (1917-1996) was one of America's and the world's most popular jazz singers. Fitzgerald was a favored singing partner of Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra, Dizzy Gillespie (who had a profound influence on her singing during bebop's rise), and Duke Ellington, and achieved both critical and popular success during her lifetime. LULLABIES OF BIRDLAND consists of recordings from 1945 to 1955, offering a cross-section of Swing-era standards, many of which she flat-out owned by the end of her career ("Oh Lady Be Good" and "How High The Moon" among them).

Track Listing
1. Lullaby of Birdland
2. Rough Ridin'
3. Angel Eyes
4. Smooth Sailing
5. Lady Be Good! Oh
6. Later
7. Ella Hums the Blues
8. How High the Moon?
9. Basin Street Blues
10. Air Mail Special
11. Flying Home

Personnel: Chris Griffin , Sam Taylor , Andrew Ferretti, Ray Charles Quintet, James Nottingham, Sandy Block, Dick Jacobs, Everett Barksdale, Hank Jones , Dave McRae , Jimmy Crawford , Al Grey, Ray Brown , Sid Cooper, Sy Oliver, Taft Jordan, The Ray Charles Singers, Bill Doggett, Bob Haggart, Bob Peck, Bernie Privin, Rudy Traylor, Mort Bullman, Milt Yaner, Johnny Blowers.

CannonballampColtrane_zpsf0a14af1.jpg

Cannonball & Coltrane -- Remastered CD

Julian (Cannonball) Adderley & John Coltrane

1959/1988 Emarcy Records

This LP (whose contents have been reissued many times) features the Miles Davis Sextet of 1959 without the leader. Altoist Cannonball Adderley and tenor saxophonist John Coltrane really push each other on these six selections, with this version of "Limehouse Blues" really burning. Coltrane's very serious sound is a striking contrast to the jubilant Adderley alto; the latter is showcased on "Stars Fell on Alabama." With pianist Wynton Kelly, bassist Paul Chambers and drummer Jimmy Cobb playing up to their usual level, this gem is highly recommended. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Limehouse Blues
2. Stars Fell on Alabama
3. Wabash
4. Grand Central
5. You're a Weaver of Dreams
6. The Sleeper

Personnel: John Coltrane (tenor saxophone); Cannonball Adderley (alto saxophone); Wynton Kelly (piano); Jimmy Cobb (drums).Liner Note Author: Don Heckman.Recording information: Universal Recording Studios, Chicago, IL (02/03/1959).

61VXtUbbgTL._SY300_.jpg

While getting ready for work this morning I told Alexa (Amazon Echo) to play some Weather Report, been humming fusion all day. :music-listening:

Great choice Echo, errr... Botch! :handgestures-thumbup:

d58151c88da0ad8dca852210.L.jpg

Live In San Francisco -- 20bit K2 Remastered CD

The Cannonball Adderley Quintet

1959/2000 Riverside/Fantasy Records

Hot on the heels of session work with Miles Davis and his KIND OF BLUE-era group, alto saxophonist Cannonball Adderley recorded this excellent live date with his brother, cornetist Nat Adderley, along with pianist Bobby Timmons, bassist Sam Jones, and drummer Louis Hayes. THE CANNONBALL ADDERLEY QUINTET IN SAN FRANCISCO defined the accessible, yet technically challenging, soul-jazz that Adderley would be associated with for the rest of his career.The warm, exuberant feel of the quintet is especially evident on the set's two finest tracks--a spirited take on Randy Weston's "Hi-Fly," and on Timmons's swinging "This Here." Two of Adderley's own compositions, "Spontaneous Combustion" and "You Got It!," blend blazing post-bop dexterity with pulsing, infectious blues structures, and pave the way for a funky take on Thelonious Monk's "Straight, No Chaser" (a bonus track on the reissued CD). Both Cannonball and Nat Adderley play with stunning, bluesy brilliance here, while the rhythm section ably anchors the proceedings. Outside of SOMETHING ELSE (Adderley's 1958 masterpiece), IN SAN FRANCISCO may be the saxophonist's defining moment.

Track Listing
1. Announcement by Cannonball into This Here
2. Spontaneous Combustion
3. Hi-Fly
4. You Got It!
5. Bohemia After Dark
6. Straight, No Chaser (bonus track)

Personnel: Cannonball Adderley (alto saxophone); Nat Adderley (cornet); Bobby Timmons (piano); Sam Jones (bass); Louis Hayes (drums).Recorded live at The Jazz Workshop, San Francisco, California on October 18 & 20, 1959. Originally released on Riverside (1157). Includes original liner notes by Ralph J. Gleason.Digitally remastered using 20-bit K2 Super Coding System technology.

I just bought some cosmic neo retro outlaw country album by some guy by the name of Sturgill Simpson.

I want to like it, and I think it probably is pretty decent, but for some reason I get annoyed when his voice starts to sound a bit like Waylon Jennings. And I really like Waylon. It just seems somehow a little fake, despite oddball (and presumably halfways original) lyrics about space lizards or whatever. That said, I've barely had it a couple of hours. So I'm still hopeful. Gonna load it up in the car for a while.

Happy Tuesday everyone... :banana-dance:

015c4310fca0d49b3d649010.L.jpg

Shooting Rubber Bands At The Stars -- CD

Edie Brickell & New Bohemians

1988 Geffen Records

Still My Favorite Group, November 17, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Shooting Rubberbands At The Stars (Audio CD)

Just buy this c.d. Until you hear it for yourself, there is nothing more I can say about it that will do justice to the lyrical and musical quality of Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians' songs. If you haven't heard other material by this group, check out "Ghost of a Dog," and (Edie solo) "Picture Perfect Morning." They are equally stellar accomplishments despite the lack of media attention. Go to bodyofwater.com/edie and post messages on the board to let the band know that their fans are still out here!

1. "What I Am" Edie Brickell, Kenny Withrow 4:54
2. "Little Miss S." Brickell, Withrow, Brad Houser, Brandon Aly, John Bush 3:37
3. "Air of December" Brickell, Withrow, Houser, Aly, Bush 5:54
4. "The Wheel" Brickell, Withrow, Houser, Aly, Bush 3:53
5. "Love Like We Do" Brickell 3:13
6. "Circle" Brickell, Withrow 3:11
7. "Beat the Time" Brickell, Withrow 2:58
8. "She" Brickell, Withrow, Houser, Aly, Bush 5:06
9. "Nothing" Brickell, Withrow 4:49
10. "Now" Brickell, Withrow, Houser, Aly, Bush 6:00
11. "Keep Coming Back" Brickell 2:42
12. "I Do" (Hidden track) Brickell 2:00

51eLxOvq%2BwL.jpg

Concorde -- Remastered 20bit K2 XRCD2

The Modern Jazz Quartet

1955/1997 Prestige/JVC Records

Cool Counterpoint April 27, 2004
By A Customer
Format:Audio CD

This underrated album is an Apollonian masterpiece. It balances the cool, formalist approach to jazz (that one expects from MJQ) with a genuine swinging impulse. The recording features two originals (by Jackson and Lewis) framing a set of superb and superbly played standards. "I'll Remember April," transformed into a hard-swinging scherzo, is a real stand-out (although Erroll Garner's version from a few months later remains definitive in my book). The concluding title track is Lewis's tour-de-force, a complex jazz fugue that lends the session a strong feeling of culmination. Throughout, the album delivers subtle counterpoint ("Softly" begins by quoting from Bach's Musical Offering) and thoughtful structure; it really rewards carefully attention. If you like your jazz on the cool, cerebral side, or if you are coming to jazz from the world of classical music, this album should be mandatory listening. But the music isn't austere: in addition to being substantive, it's a lot of fun.

1. Ralph's New Blues
2. All Of You
3. I'll Remember April
4. Gershwin Medley: Soon/For You, For Me, Forevermore/ ove Walked In/Our Love Is Here To Stay
5. Softly, As In A Morning Sunrise
6. Concorde

The Modern Jazz Quartet: John Lewis (piano); Milt Jackson (vibraphone); Percy Heath (bass); Connie Kay (drums).Recorded in New York, New York on July 2, 1955. Originally released on Prestige (7109). Includes liner notes by Ira Gitler.Digitally remastered using 20-bit K2 Super Coding System technology.

ce73225b9da01f8ef2c34110.L.jpg

Paul Desmond & The Modern Jazz Quartet -- RemasteredCD

1993 Sony/Red Barron Records

The MJQ made their annual Christmas gig at New York's Town Hall one year, and who should show up after intermission but Paul Desmond, who would hardly bring himself to play with anyone in those days, save a Creed Taylor record date or two. The cool classical modernists and the dry-martini altoist are not unexpectedly a close fit -- after all, Percy Heath and especially Connie Kay had been fixtures on Desmond's solo sessions -- and they do some relaxed swinging turns on some congenial standards, adaptations of P.D. tunes ("La Paloma," "Greensleeves"), one current hit ("Jesus Christ Superstar" in a cute John Lewis arrangement), and the inevitable "Bags' Groove" (here entitled "Bags' New Groove"). Again, Desmond softly intones perhaps his favorite standard in the repertoire (he recorded it countless times), "You Go to My Head," tumbling contrapuntally around Milt Jackson in the tune, while "East of the Sun" has a fine chase sequence between the two down the stretch. Though they had been friends since the 1950s, this was apparently the only time the MJQ and Desmond ever performed in public, making this one-off album (issued well after Desmond's death through Lewis's efforts) a thing to savor for fans of all five musicians. ~ Richard S. Ginell

Track Listing
1. Greensleeves
2. You Go to My Head
3. Blue Dove (La Paloma Azul)
4. Jesus Christ Superstar
5. Here's That Rainy Day
6. East of the Sun (And West of the Moon)
7. Bags' New Groove

Personnel: Paul Desmond (alto saxophone); Milt Jackson (vibraphone); John Lewis (piano); Percy Heath (bass); Connie Kay (drums).Producers: John Lewis, Ken Glancy.Reissue producers: Ken Glancy, Bob Thiele.Recorded live at Town Hall, New York, New York on December 25, 1971. Includes liner notes by Irving Townsend.Digitally remastered by Chris Herles (Sony Studios, New York, New York).

Happy Wednesday everyone.... :eusa-clap:

bcbe431378a04f4f9dbc7110.L.jpg

One Take Radio Sessions -- EP

Mark Knopfler

2005 Warner Bros. Records

Amazon.com

Eschewing much of the stardust that the worldwide success of Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms virtually guaranteed him, Mark Knopfler's belated and halting solo career since has often seemed willfully spectral, if ever driven by a quietly intense musical restlessness. Taking "Rudiger" from his '96 solo debut and seven core tracks from his savory, thematically eclectic '04 collection, Shangri-La, Knopfler returned to the Malibu studio of the same name to forge these more focused, nigh-perfect live renditions with his bandmates. The intimate setting offers added poignancy to "The Trawlerman's Song" and casts "Back to Tupelo" in bluesier, more supple tones, while "Song For Sonny Liston" bristles with grittier energy. Fans of Knopfler's fluid, expressive guitar technique will find much to admire as well, from the sprightly, country-fied chicken-pickin' of "Donegan's Gone" to the tasteful, economic soloing on "Boom, Like That" and "Everybody Pays." But, as on the album that inspired this EP, the real star here is Knopfler the songwriter--an artist whose choice in themes and subtle wordplay has become the equal of his compelling fretwork. --Jerry McCulley

1. "The Trawlerman's Song"
2. "Back to Tupelo"
3. "Song for Sonny Liston"
4. "Rüdiger"
5. "Boom, Like That"
6. "Everybody Pays"
7. "Donegan's Gone"
8. "Stand Up Guy"

d050419328a0cbbb4e91e110.L.jpg

Christmas In Manhattan - Elegant Holiday Instrumentals -- CD

Various Artists

1996 Unison Music

CAN'T DO MUCH BETTER THAN THIS. SMOOTH AS EGG NOG. RIVALS THE GRP HOLIDAY STUFF., October 27, 2005
By VINCENT P TARSITANO (PORT ORANGE, FL USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Christmas in Manhattan (Audio CD)

I picked this up a few years ago in a "bargain" bin. Boy, was I rewarded. Knowing what a gem this collection is, I'd gladly pay full price!

CHRISTMAS IN MANHATTAN is just a title here, as this set was recorded in Nashville, by some of that city's finest, under the direction of David Huntsinger. Very tasty versions, featuring saxes, flugelhorn, trumpet, great keyboard/string work, with a lot of originality, but also quite faithful to the composers' intent, I believe.

While listening, however, you could easily imagine that you are in a Manhattan jazz club during the holiday season [how cool would THAT be!].

"I Heard The Bells on Christmas Day," is probably the most dazzling instrumental version I ever heard of that tune, featuring a full, acoustic, orchestral sound, with a great jazzy underscoring vibe. "The Christmas Song [Chestnuts Roasting...]" is very beautifully executed, as well, as is "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas." This ensemble's version of "Pat-A-Pan" is wonderfully novel and jazzy through-and-through. The medley of "Deck The Halls/O Come All Ye Faithful" is brilliant, as it combines the best new age/jazz/and classical feels.

This collection is clunker-free, and very enjoyable from start to finish.

DON'T PASS UP THIS ONE! [...Even if you have to write to UNISON MUSIC, Nelson Place @ Elm Hill Pike, Nashville, TN 37214.]

1. Christmas Song
2. Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
3. Jolly Old St. Nicholas
4. I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
5. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
6. Deck the Halls (With O Come All Ye Faithful) [Medley]
7. Pat-A-Pan
8. What Child Is This?
9. Bring a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella (Medley With Angels We Have Heard and Go, Tell it on the Mountain
10. How Far Is It to Bethlehem?

b383810ae7a05010be55a110.L.jpg

New England Christmastide 2 -- OMR CD

The Christmastide Musicians

1987 MFSL (MFCD 799 Made In Japan)

Traditional Christmas Music November 29, 2007
By Julie
Format:Audio CD

This collection by Otis Read and fellow musicians is by far some of the best traditional instrumental Christmas music I've ever heard. I bought it just by chance back in 1990 for my parents and it became a family tradition. Now it's a tradition in my own family. Unlike other Christmas tunes with singing that "gets old" after the second play, I can listen to this CD over and over again and it is not repetitious. There's 20 carols altogether and all instrumental with no singing: We Three Kings, Joy to The World, Silent Night, O Come Emanuel, Angels We Have Heard on High, to name a few. A total of 14 musicians perform on a variety of instruments, among them flute, mandolin, piano, guitar, violin, cello, bass, banjo, concertina, accordion, tin whistle, vielle, hurdy-gurdy, harmonium and Irish pipes. All songs are performed in small instrumental ensembles. It's rich in traditional folk sounds. As Otis himself says on his website, "This has become a fireside, tree-trimming, gift-opening classic."

Track Listing
1. The Holly and the Ivy
2. Here We Come a-Wassailing
3. Judea
4. In Dulci Jublio
5. O Holy Night
6. The Praise Of Christmas / O Come Let Us Adore Him
7. Once in Royal David's City
8. O Little Town of Bethlehem
9. Carol of the Bells
10. The Leading Of The Stars / Christmas Eve
11. Personet Hodie
12. Christmas Day in the Morning
13. Quand Li Bergie
14. Lo How a Rose
15. The Twelve Days of Christmas
16. While Shepards Watch Their Flocks
17. O Christmas Tree
18. Lord of the Dance
19. Go Tell It on the Mountain
20. Children Where Shall I Send Thee / Jingle Bells

I must confess my ignorance. I have heard of Stealer's Wheel but certainly DID NOT know Gerry Rafferty was in that group. Gotta love the google!!

Citytocity.jpg

61Ej00cW7LL.jpg

A John Prine Christmas -- CD

John Prine

2009 Oh Boy Records

For anyone who'd lost track of John Prine after the 1970s, the idea of a rather cynical singer/songwriter recording a holiday album must have seemed a rather odd one. But Prine, while never relinquishing his wry sense of humor, had mellowed quite a bit since writing about getting kicked off of Noah's ark in "Sweet Revenge." Besides, by 1988 he had his own record company, and it's always nice to have a perennial favorite in the catalog. The first two songs are originals and are probably the best songs on the album, with Prine once again offering his observations on relationships gone sour. The first, though, surprisingly relates that even though the narrator's girl dumped him a year ago on Christmas, he's learned to go on with his life. The bitterness, however, creeps back in to "All the Best." Prine opens this live piece with a funny monolog about him and a friend nailing a train set to the dining room table, and then delves into a sad story of love thrown away like yesterday's Christmas tree. He also includes a new version of "Christmas in Prison," a solid song from his third album, Sweet Revenge. The remainder of the album is filled with holiday classics, including a fun take on "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus." The downside of the album is that it's awful short -- 32 minutes -- and even then, one of the songs -- a duo with Margo Timmins on "If You Were the Woman and I Was the Man" -- doesn't even come close to fitting the holiday spirit (though it may have fit on the Dirty Santa soundtrack). Still, this isn't the run-of-the-mill holiday product, and Prine can still write a good song when he sets his mind to it. Old fans will be glad to see that even cynics can age gracefully. ~ Ronnie D. Lankford, Jr.

Track Listing
1. Everything Is Cool
2. All the Best
3. Silent Night All Day Long
4. If You Were the Woman and I Was the Man
5. Silver Bells
6. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
7. Christmas in Prison
8. A John Prine Christmas

mcad64 said:
I must confess my ignorance. I have heard of Stealer's Wheel but certainly DID NOT know Gerry Rafferty was in that group. Gotta love the google!!

Nice, it's a favorite of mine. I'm glad you put the two together.

Dennie :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

7851810ae7a0cd4787a3a110.L.jpg

Longing In Their Hearts -- CD

Bonnie Raitt

1994 Capitol Records

It's better than that..., February 24, 2005
By K. Parsons "Hailing from the mountaintop!" (Idyllwild, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Longing in Their Hearts (Audio CD)

This is a tremendous CD... though definitely not as glossy and smooth as the ones that came after, or as rough and textured as those before. For some reason, even though there are a few songs I can do without, (I Sho Do comes to mind) songs like "Feeling of Falling", Cool Clear Water" and the title track have remained my favorite Bonnie songs since this CD came out.

There is a funky goove here... and enough attitude to show that Bonnie Raitt is no computer enhanced lip-synching pop diva powderpuff. No way - she's the REAL DEAL. Has been for so long I can't remember... and she still belts it out better than anyone. She's made a huge mark in a world that wasn't exactly welcoming to her at first... and this CD shows why. Virtuoso musicianship, a deadly groove, sultry, strong vocals and that sensation of, well... (hey - isn't that what music is all about!!!)~~~

"Longing" has that quality of imperfect genius that makes Bonnie Raitt's music so satisfying.

"Love Sneakin' up on You" (Little Jimmy Scott, Tom Snow) – 3:41
"Longing in Their Hearts" (Michael O'Keefe, Raitt) – 4:48
"You" (John Shanks, Bob Thiele, Tonio K.) – 4:27
"Cool, Clear Water" (Raitt) – 5:27
"Circle Dance" (Raitt) – 4:11
"I Sho Do" (Billy Always, Mabon "Teenie" Hodges) – 3:38
"Dimming of the Day" (Richard Thompson) – 3:39
"Feeling of Falling" (Raitt) – 6:17
"Steal Your Heart Away" (Paul Brady) – 5:44
"Storm Warning" (Terry Britten, Lea Maalfrid) – 4:31
"Hell to Pay" (Raitt) – 4:03
"Shadow of Doubt" (Gary Nicholson) – 4:26

Finally picked up the SACD of Bloomfield, Kooper, Stills "Suoer Session".

Wonderful music. There is also a 5.1 mix. Not too crazy, but it seems the balance between the left surround and right surround favors the left side a bit too much. Hopefully it's just my system. I only just today hooked up the surround speakers again but I haven't yet run Audessey (or even adjust anything by ear, so...).

51wZZIkwExL.jpg

Happy New Year everyone.... :text-welcomeconfetti:

a2a9828fd7a00412d4597110.L.jpg

Truth -- Remastered CD

Jeff Beck

1966/2006 Sony Music

Product Description

After leaving the Yardbirds as lead guitarist in 1967, Jeff Beck formed The Jeff Beck Group featuring Rod Stewart on vocals and Ron Wood on bass, releasing two albums 'Truth' in 1968 and 'Beck-Ola' in 1969. This long-awaited 24-bit digitally remastered version of 'Truth' is released with 8 bonus tracks. This album was Rod Stewart's first-ever album-length lead vocal showcase as an artist, and is regarded, along with 'Beck-Ola' as a musical touchstone for hard rockers in the years that followed. Collaborators on this album (and bonus tracks) include Keith Moon, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, Nicky Hopkins, Aynsley Dunbar and Madeline Bell. Jeff Beck's three singles 'Tallyman' , 'Love Is Blue' and 'Hi Ho Silver Lining' (First Stereo Mix) have been added as bonus track along with 'I've Been Drinking' (New Stereo Mix), 'You Shook Me' (Take One Mix), 'Rock My Plimsoul' (Stereo Mix), 'Beck's Bolero' (Mono Single Version With Backwards Guitar), 'Blues Deluxe' (Take 1 Mix) plus the gorgeous ballad 'I've Been Drinking' (B-side on 'Love Is Blue') which was omitted from the original album. The liner notes have been upgraded by Charles Shaar Murray and feature an extensive interview with Jeff Beck. All tracks produced by Mickie Most. Remastered by Peter Mew at Abbey Road. EMI. 2005 --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

1. Shapes of Things - Jeff Beck, McCarty
2. Let Me Love You - Jeff Beck, Rod, Jeffrey
3. Morning Dew - Jeff Beck, Dobson
4. You Shook Me - Jeff Beck, Dixon, Willie
5. Ol' Man River - Jeff Beck, Hammerstein, Oscar
6. Greensleeves - Jeff Beck, Traditional
7. Rock My Plimsoul - Jeff Beck, Rod, Jeffrey
8. Beck's Bolero - Jeff Beck, Page, Jimmy
9. Blues de Luxe - Jeff Beck, Rod, Jeffrey
10. I Ain't Superstitious - Jeff Beck, Dixon, Willie
11. I've Been Drinking [Stereo Mix]
- Jeff Beck, Rod, Jeffrey