• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

71mGgWkFhdL_zps20e47411.jpg

Out Among The Stars -- CD

Johnny Cash

2014 Columbia Legacy

An absolute must for fans of "The Man In Black." March 25, 2014
By D. C. Stolk
Format:Audio CD
"Out Among The Stars" is a previously unreleased album by country icon Johnny Cash, who died in 2003 at the age of 71. John Carter Cash found his father's lost recordings, that were recorded in the early `80s and originally produced by Billy Sherrill, while combing through the family archives. With none of the twelve songs heard anywhere before (as performed by Johnny Cash), and the sound and production technology brought to modern standards, this album is an absolute must for fans of the legendary "Man In Black."

The album-opener "Out Among The Stars" starts out with the signature Johnny Cash train-track rhythm and his deep baritone singing about crime and retribution, and instantly became my favorite on this album. Other highlights are the ballad "She Used To Love Me A Lot," the bluegrass duet with June Carter Cash "Don't You Think It's Come Our Time" and "I Came To Believe," a track with some gospel influences. Other personal favorites are the catchy "I'm Moving On" which is a duet with Waylon Jennings, the darkly humorous "I Drove Her Out Of My Mind" and the even more fun "If I Told You Who It Was."

So, some 30 years after these sessions were originally recorded, we get to - posthumously - enjoy a great record and the fact that this was shelved - and forgotten - is surprising as these songs show that Cash was in the prime of his voice and thus the album "Out Among The Stars" is a great final legacy of "The Man In Black."

1. Out Among The Stars
2. Baby Ride Easy
3. She Used To Love Me A Lot
4. After All
5. I'm Movin' On
6. If I Told You Who It Was
7. Call Your Mother
8. I Drove Her Out Of My Mind
9. Tennessee
10. Rock And Roll Shoes
11. Don't You Think It's Come Our Time
12. I Came To Believe
13. She Used To Love Me A Lot (JC/EC Version)

61xtPikhTnL.jpg

Summer Wind: Live at The LOA -- SACD

The Ray Brown Trio

1990/2003 Concord Jazz

Ray Brown has many great contributions to jazz as a leader and a sideman, but one additional way in which he helped jazz was his encouraging Gene Harris to give up his early retirement and go back out on the road. The pianist was a part of Brown's groups for several years before he formed a working quartet and became a leader for good once again. This 1988 concert at a since-defunct Santa Monica night club (co-owned by Brown) finds the two, along with drummer Jeff Hamilton, at the top of their game. A phone ringing in the background distracts momentarily from Brown's opening solo in his composition "The Real Blues," during which Harris repeats a bluesy tremolo, which may be an inside joke about the early distraction. Harris take a blues-drenched approach to "Mona Lisa" before giving way to the leader's solo, while his lyrical approach to "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man" is shimmering. Hamilton's soft brushes are prominent in "Little Darlin'," but his explosive playing provides a powerful pulse to the very unusual strutting take of "It Don't Mean a Thing." This extremely satisfying CD is warmly recommended. ~ Ken Dryden

Track Listing
1. Summer Wind
2. The Real Blues
3. Li'l Darlin'
4. It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
5. Mona Lisa
6. Buhaina Buhaina
7. Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man
8. Bluesology

Ray Brown Trio: Ray Brown (acoustic bass); Gene Harris (piano); Jeff Hamilton (drums).Recorded live at The Loa, Santa Monica, California in July 1988. Includes liner notes by Chip Deffaa and Leonard Feather.

cover_15591914122009.jpg

The New Standard -- CD

Herbie Hancock

1996 Verve Records

Overlooked Jazz Masterpiece, February 22, 2006
By Lars Tackmann (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: The New Standard (Audio CD)

This is by far one of Hancock's best recordings (at least since the Headhunters, Thrust, Manchild days). He captures a strange haunting sound in the twilight between Jazz, Pop and Rock. When I come home from a long day there is nothing better than mixing a gin and tonic and putting on Herbie's fantastic version of "Norwegian Wood". The musicians seams to be completely in tune on this record, not just showing off talent but really putting there soul into it.

If you dig Miles Davis on "In a Silent Way" or Coltrane in "My Favorite Things" then you are going to love this fantastic record. Tracks like "Mercy Street", "When Can I See You", "Manhattan" and "Love is Stronger Than Pride" are made of the good stuff, they are played with depth and skill in that rare way that makes a classic. In short this record can be put next to any great Jazz masterpiece.

Track listing

"New York Minute" (Don Henley, Danny Kortchmar, Jai Winding) - 8:35
"Mercy Street" (Peter Gabriel) - 8:36
"Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)" (Lennon, McCartney) - 8:07
"When Can I See You" (Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds) - 6:17
"You've Got It Bad, Girl" (Wonder, Yvonne Wright) - 7:15
"Love Is Stronger Than Pride" (Sade Adu, Andrew Hale, Stuart Matthewman) - 8:00
"Scarborough Fair" (Simon, Garfunkel) - 8:24
"Thieves in the Temple" (Prince) - 7:33
"All Apologies" (Kurt Cobain) - 5:08
"Manhattan (Island of Lights and Love)" (Herbie Hancock, Jean Hancock) - 4:06
"Your Gold Teeth II" (Donald Fagen, Walter Becker) - 5:14

Herbie Hancock - piano
Michael Brecker - tenor and soprano saxophone
John Scofield - acoustic and electric guitar, electric sitar
Dave Holland - acoustic bass
Jack DeJohnette - drums, electric percussion
Don Alias - percussion

Zing said:
Botch said:
Did you play this for your Echo? :happy-smileygiantred:
She's still not speaking to me. :|

Incidently, today I got the "7-day email" from Amazon, I could buy another one now for $99. I'm tempted, but I also realize it'd be an extravagant purchase that I don't need...
:shhh:

8bbc225b9da0606b47d8f010.L.jpg

Idle Moments -- RVG Edition Remastered CD

Grant Green

1964/1999 Blue Note Records

This is part of the Blue Note Rudy Van Gelder Editions series.It was always a part of Blue Note's development and marketing to introduce new artists as sidemen on more well-known leaders' projects before giving them dates of their own. The system worked pretty well, and the irony is that a release like 1963's IDLE MOMENTS looks likes more of an all-star session in retrospect. Sure, we get to hear Grant Green stretching out. But we also get Bobby Hutcherson and Joe Henderson, who were just winning their first Downbeat polls at the time.Green himself had come through this system, appearing with organ combos and on other hard bop sessions, before graduating to his own Blue Note dates. IDLE MOMENTS may be one of his finest dates in the studio, simply on the strength of the elegant melancholy of the title cut and the deep groove the band settles into on "Django." Green's playing has much in common with that of such labelmates as saxophonist Stanley Turrentine and pianist Gene Harris. He manages to bring solid bebop sensibilities to a spare, down-home approach and delivers it all with an oaken tone at once dry, dark, and full of character.

"Idle Moments" (Pearson) – 14:56
"Jean De Fleur" (Green) – 6:49
"Django" (John Lewis) – 8:44
"Nomad" (Pearson) – 12:16

Bonus tracks on CD reissue:

"Jean De Fleur" [Alternate Take] - 8:09
"Django" [Alternate Take] - 13:12

Recorded on November 4 (#1, 4-6)and November 15 (#2-3), 1963.

The Rudy Van Gelder Edition of IDLE MOMENTS includes an essay by Bob Blumenthal.Personnel: Grant Green (guitar); Joe Henderson (tenor saxophone); Bobby Hutcherson (vibraphone); Duke Pearson (piano); Bob Cranshaw (bass); Al Harewood (drums).Producer: Alfred Lion.Reissue producer: Michael Cuscuna.Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on November 4 & 11, 1963. Includes liner notes by Duke Pearson and Bob Blumenthal.Digitally remastered using 24-bit technology by Rudy Van Gelder (Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey).

Happy Sunday everyone.... :banana-dance:

51twlCGOLSL.jpg

Listen Here! -- CD

The Gene Harris Quartet

1989 Concord Records

Although often associated with the blues, only one of the ten selections on this quartet set by pianist Gene Harris (who is joined by guitarist Ron Eschete, bassist Ray Brown, and drummer Jeff Hamilton) is technically a blues. On this excellent all-around showcase for the soulful pianist, Harris sounds in prime form exploring such tunes as "This Masquerade," "Don't Be That Way," Eddie Harris' "Listen Here," and "The Song Is Ended." Listen Here! gives listeners a pretty definitive look at Gene Harris' accessible and swinging style. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. This Masquerade
2. Don't Be That Way
3. I've Got a Feeling I'm Falling
4. Listen Here
5. This Can't Be Love
6. To You
7. Blues for Jezebel
8. Sweet and Lovely
9. Lullabye
10. The Song Is Ended

Gene Harris Quartet: Gene Harris (piano); Ron Eschete (guitar); Ray Brown (bass); Jeff Hamilton (drums).Recorded at The Plant Recording Studios, Sausalito, California in March 1989.

0001932673_350_zps827e0fd5.jpg

A Little Piece of Heaven -- CD

The Gene Harris Quartet at STE. Chapelle Winery

1993 Concord Jazz

Gene Harris was always predictably excellent, particularly during his final decade. This CD has his quartet of 1993 (with guitarist Ron Eschete, bassist Luther Hughes, and drummer Paul Humphrey) performing such tunes as a soulful "Take the 'A' Train," the sly "Ma (He's Making Eyes at Me)," "My Little Suede Shoes," and even "Ode to Billie Joe." Harris, who is heard playing a concert in his adopted state of Idaho, often sounds in exuberant form talking to his hometown crowd. His fans will have little difficulty enjoying this happy date. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Blues in Baxter's Pad
2. Take the "A" Train
3. Blues for Ste. Chapelle
4. Ma (He's Making Eyes at Me)
5. Pensativa
6. How Long Has This Been Going On?
7. Scotch and Soda
8. My Little Suede Shoes
9. Old Dog Blues
10. Ode to Billie Joe
11. Sentimental Journey

Gene Harris Quartet: Gene Harris (piano); Ron Eschete (guitar); Luther Hughes (bass); Paul Humphrey (drums).Recorded live at the Ste. Chapelle Winery, Caldwell, Idaho on July 18, 1993. Includes liner notes by Wayne Thompson.

71D2g76fppL.jpg

Possibilities -- CD

Herbie Hancock and....

2005 Hear Music

Snobbery seems to be the only reason not to love this disc, September 24, 2005
By M. Emrich "embo55" (Denver, Co.) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Possibilities (Audio CD)

The reviewers that do not like for the most part are true jazz purists. They have an indignance about this that reminds me of Bob Dylan being booed the first time he pulled out his electric guitar at a folk festival in the mid 60's. Come on this is great stuff. One of the best songs John Mayer has ever recorded is the discs opener "Stitched Up". The keyboards are killer. This song is a turn it up real loud and drive down the coast highway on a sunny day kinda song. At least it was until gas started climbing to 5 bucks a gallon. Don't turn that cd player down yet. The next song has Carlos Santana and Angelique Kidjo joining Herbie. If you don't move to this song, you're dead. the disc's biggest surprise is the third cut with Christina Aguilera singing Leon Russel's classic "Song For You". OK, here's my snobbery showing but who would have thought she had those pipes. Been a long time since I'd heard a "Song For You" and I love Herbie's arrangement. Paul Simon's colloboration is surprisingly the discs weakest collaboration. The disc has two other standout tracks. Annie Lennox is the only artist that I know of where everything she's done for the last quarter century has been a constent improvement over her earlier work. "Hush, Hush, Hush" is a great little Annie Lennox fix until her follow up to "Bare". "When Love Comes to Town" teams up Jonny Lang and Joss Stone for a bluesy rendition of the U2 song. It is my second favorite song to John Mayer's. They could do the entire grammy show with this cast of performers. Hell, maybe they will.

1 STITCHED UP (FEAT JOHN MAYER)
2 SAFIATOU (FEAT SANTANA AND ANGÉLIQUE KIDJO)
3 A SONG FOR YOU (FEAT CHRISTINA AGUILERA)
4 I DO IT FOR YOUR LOVE (FEAT PAUL SIMON)
5 HUSH, HUSH, HUSH (FEAT ANNIE LENNOX)
6 SISTER MOON (FEAT STING)
7 WHEN LOVE COMES TO TOWN (FEAT JONNY LANG AND JOSS STONE)
8 DON'T EXPLAIN (FEAT DAMIEN RICE AND LISA HANNIGAN)
9 I JUST CALLED TO SAY I LOVE YOU (FEAT RAUL MIDÓN)
10 GELO NA MONTANHA (FEAT TREY ANASTASIO)

^^^ How do you like that Hancock disk, Dennie? I was unfamiliar with it but think I may have to order it.

e2b3e03ae7a03f3dcfd4b110.L.jpg

Healing The Wounds -- CD

The Crusaders

1997 GRP Records

The Crusaders as they should be!, October 10, 2000
By Allen Davis (Greensboro, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Healing the Wounds (Audio CD)

This cd is music by The Crusaders as it should be. As a long time Joe Sample and Crusaders fans, it was good for me to enjoy what I would consider to be "vintage" Crusader stuff. It also did me a lot of good for me to hear my favorite bassist, Marcus Miller, added to the mix. He adds that touch of funk that only he can do. With Marcus thumpin' the bass, Joe tickling the ivory, and the rest of the guys doing their things, you can't help but love this piece. "Healing the Wounds" is probably the best Crusader cd to date. If you like the old Crusader stuff, you'll love this! It's great music from cover to cover.

Track listing

1. Pessimisticism
2. Mercy, Mercy, Mercy
3. Little Things Mean a Lot
4. Cause We've Ended as Lovers
5. Shake Dance
6. Maputo
7. Healing the Wounds
8. Running Man

51Rtge401SL._SS400_.jpg

Meant To Be -- CD

Ramsey Lewis & Nancy Wilson

2002 Narada Jazz

An Elegant Treat March 1, 2002
By Harry N. Cohen

This is a banner time for Nancy Wilson fans. First, the wonderful box set, Essence of Nancy Wilson, now this...a brand new cd of beautiful music.Unfortunately, Nancy only has 5 cuts on this cd, the rest are instrumentals by Ramsey Lewis.The instrumentals are all tasteful and well done, but this disc really comes alive when Miss Nancy steps up to the microphone. Peel Me A Grape, a cabaret favorite made immortal by Blossom Dearie is given a fine sexy/humorous reading by Nancy. Lots of lesser singers have tried this song and it seems the humor escapes them Nancy GETS it! A song from the Joe Williams songbook, Did I Ever Really Live is quite apropriate for Nancy at this point in her career. It is a reflection on life and mortality, sort of a Circle Game for the jazz world. It is quite moving. First Time Love by Patti Austin receives the elegant Nancy touch. The highlight of this disc for me is Nancy's killer version Of Moondance. A slight disappointment is Brenda Russell's Piano In The Dark. Nancy lingers over the verses, but rushes through the chorus. Nancy's voice on all selections is in fine shape, with some amber shadings that weren't there before. She truly souns wonderful. This disc taken in it's entirety is perfect for either lingering over Sunday morning coffee or for popping open the champagne and geting that quiet storm going.

Track Listing
1. Peel Me a Grape
2. Truthfully
3. Did I Ever Really Live
4. Velvet Night
5. Moment Alone, A
6. Moondance
7. Meant to Be
8. Piano in the Dark
9. Time Peace
10. First Time Love
11. Tanquissimo

Botch said:
^^^ How do you like that Hancock disk, Dennie? I was unfamiliar with it but think I may have to order it.
Well, maybe I won't order it, at $36! :shock: Amazon showed me the option of adding it to my Amazon Prime for $0.00, so I can listen to it on my Amazon Echo now. In mono. :|

In the old days, to find a CD that was out of print, you'd hit the used CD shops every chance, and buy ten other CDs but never find the one you were looking for. Now, with these used CD sites, you can find what you're looking for but can't afford them. Gah.

Botch said:
Botch said:
Well, maybe I won't order it, at $36! :shock: Amazon showed me the option of adding it to my Amazon Prime for $0.00, so I can listen to it on my Amazon Echo now. In mono. :|

In the old days, to find a CD that was out of print, you'd hit the used CD shops every chance, and buy ten other CDs but never find the one you were looking for. Now, with these used CD sites, you can find what you're looking for but can't afford them. Gah.

Wow, $36! Isn't it amazing how the prices soar when something goes OOP. I really like it. I have the DVD also, it is a making of, more than a music disc. It shows Herbie on his quest to make music with people who he admires. He goes in with no thoughts on what to play and asks them what ideas they have and then it is on. They write a song together and imagine the possibilities. Some great music and a real treat for the ears.

I hope you come across a copy at a reasonable price.

Dennie

513pgsGeWlL.jpg

Jazz Side of The Moon - The Music of Pink Floyd -- SACD

Sam Yahel/Seamus Blake/Ari Hoenig/Mike Moreno

2008 Chesky Records

Rock reinterpreted via cool jazz October 4, 2008
By William Cobham

A real daredevil project this, it takes the structure of Pink Floyd's album and then uses this as the departure point for some fluent cool jazz. The musicians are excellent, playing off one another as if in a live jam session, meticulously rhythmical and committed to finding the most adventurous routes out of and into jazz-rock. If you like Weather Report, Miles Davis, The Crusaders and Pat Metheny, this is for you. What can I tell you except be good to yourself and buy this album. I've been playing it nonstop; it's also a great drivetime album.

Track Listing
1. Breathe
2. On The Run (Part 1)
3. Time
4. Any Colour You Like
5. The Great Gig In The Sky
6. Money
7. Us And Them
8. Brain Damage
9. On The Run (Part 2)

Personnel: Sam Yahel (Hammond b-3 organ); Ari Hoenig (drums); Mike Moreno (acoustic guitar, electric guitar); Seamus Blake (tenor saxophone).

71M2UFpeMDL.jpg

Concert In The Park - August 15th, 1991 -- 2 CD Box Set

Paul Simon

1991 Warner Bros. Records

My Favorite Album, July 6, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Concert in the Park (Audio CD)

Where to begin! Let me first say that I am a huge fan of Paul Simon, so I'm probably not the most objective opinion... That said, Paul Simon's Concert In The Park is my favorite CD for a couple reasons: It is a great introduction to Simon for those two people on earth unfamiliar with his work, and, more important, it offers brilliant renditions of both Simon's greatest hits from the Garfunkel years as well as new takes of his lesser known songs. I love the African and South American sounds Simon explores, I love the band that's behind him, but most of all, I loooove the music! Buy this CD--I promise you won't be sorry.

Disc 1

"The Obvious Child"
"The Boy in the Bubble"
"She Moves On"
"Kodachrome"
"Born at the Right Time"
"Train in the Distance"
"Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard"
"I Know What I Know"
"The Cool, Cool River"
"Bridge over Troubled Water"
"Proof"

Disc 2

"The Coast"
"Graceland"
"You Can Call Me Al"
"Still Crazy After All These Years"
"Loves Me Like a Rock"
"Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes"
"Hearts and Bones"
"Late in the Evening"
"America"
"The Boxer"
"Cecilia"
"The Sound of Silence"

613XnGkwWEL.jpg

Time In -- Remastered 24bit CD

Dave Brubeck (Quartet)

1966/2004 Columbia Legacy

An Unheralded Classic October 23, 2005
By Willie Sordillo
Format:Audio CD|Amazon Verified Purchase

Though not as adventurous in time signature explorations as the other recordings the classic Brubeck Quartet made in their series of "Time" recordings, this album is nonetheless a sublime gem. On this session, one of the most cohesive groups in the history of jazz exalts in its ability to swing mightily while retaining an intimate, hushed atmosphere. Dave's compositions, while seemingly simple compared to earlier pieces like "Strange Meadowlark" and "Unsquare Dance", and the later "Crescent City Stomp", belie the group's deftness at negotiating the considerable challenge of transforming the simple to the sublime. On "Softly, William, Softly" and "Forty Days", two of Brubeck's most beautiful themes, Desmond carves out solos so perfect, each note so carefully chosen and executed, yet so bursting with pure spontaneity, that they stand alongside anything composed, edited and honed by the best of jazz composers. It sounds so effortless it's easy for a casual listener to either write it off as facile or assume it had been worked out in advance. Neither is true. What is true is that this is a beautiful, overlooked masterpiece which I have come back to time and again since first owning it on LP 35 years ago. It never fails to satisfy. One of the most beautiful and significant works of art I've ever encountered.

1. Lost Waltz
2. Softly, William, Softly
3. Time In
4. Forty Days
5. Travellin' Blues
6. He Done Her Wrong
7. Lonesome
8. Cassandra
9. Rude Old Man [*]
10. Who Said That? [*]
11. Watusi Drums [*]

* Bonus Tracks not on the original LP

Dave Brubeck - piano
Paul Desmond - alto saxophone
Joe Morello - drums
Gene Wright - bass

61uNxG1c-VL.jpg

Gerry Mulligan Meets Johnny Hodges

Gerry Mulligan - Johnny Hodges

1961/2003 Verve Records

Gerry Mulligan's 1959 studio date with Johnny Hodges is one of the most satisfying sessions of his various meetings with different saxophonists for Verve, yet it was inexplicably the last to be made available on CD. With a hand-picked rhythm section consisting of pianist Claude Williamson, bassist Buddy Clark, and drummer Mel Lewis, and three originals contributed by each of the two leaders, everything gels nicely, though several tracks took more than three takes (in spite of liner note writer Nat Hentoff's assertions) to reach their final form. Mulligan contributed the gorgeous ballad "What's the Rush" (where he sat back to enjoy Hodges' solo and never plays his own horn), the easygoing swinger "Bunny," and the brisk cooker "18 Carrots (For Rabbit)," the latter which its composer would revisit with his Concert Jazz Band. The veteran alto saxophonist contributed the low-key ballad "Shady Side," the sassy blues "Back Beat" (later re-recorded by Hodges during a still unreleased 1960 studio meeting with Ben Webster), and "What It's All About," another potent blues. Throughout the date, the two saxophonists blend beautifully and complement one another's efforts, even though this was their only opportunity to record together in the studio. Sadly, no alternate takes or unissued numbers (at least two of which exist) have been added to this long anticipated reissue. ~ Ken Dryden

Track Listing
1. Bunny
2. What's the Rush
3. Black Beat
4. What It's All About
5. 18 Carrots (For Rabbit)
6. Shady Side

Personnel: Gerry Mulligan (baritone saxophone); Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone); Claude Williamson (piano); Buddy Clark (bass); Mel Lewis (drums).Recorded at United Recorders, Hollywood, California on November 17, 1959

Back