• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Wow, Dennie, I started to play some tunes before even reading what you started your Saturday with, I picked a Bruce CD as well.

Scenes_Hornsby.jpg

Bruce is an amazing & talented musician. :handgestures-thumbup: :music-listening:

Babs said:
heeman said:
A lot of good stuff lately.......................

Bare and Diva are my 2 favorite Annie Lennox albums!

^ Yes!

Annie_Lennox_-_Diva.jpg

Annie is incredible! She rocks short hair & has amazing, beautiful eyes!

Home alone this evening with my girl!

My favorites from Diva are...

Track #1...Why
Track #2...Walking on Broken Glass
Track #3...Precious
Track #9...Stay by Me, luv the piano intro.

I gotta pick that one up!! My kids absolutley love "No more I love you's " off Medusa!! She has a beautiful singing voice and that fantastic Scottish brogue when she speaks!!

Happy Sunday everyone.... :banana-dance:

2c28c0a398a0f3585594b110.L.jpg

Dixie Chicken -- CD

Little Feat

1973/1990 Warner Bros. Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Everything came together for Little Feat's third album. An expanded lineup gave the Feat a more supple rhythmic base, Lowell George penned some of his strongest numbers, and they developed an oozy studio sound that suited them to a T. The title track, "Fat Man in a Bathtub," and "Two Trains" distilled compounded rhythms, wailing background vocals, and adroit wordplay into an intoxicating soul-rock swill. In many ways, Dixie Chicken stands as a kind of kissing cousin to the Rolling Stones' Exile on Main Street, which hit the streets one year earlier. While not as expansive as the Stones' magnum opus, its highlights are every bit as spectacular. --Steve Stolder

1. "Dixie Chicken" (Lowell George, Fred Martin) – 3:55
2. "Two Trains" (George) – 3:06
3. "Roll Um Easy" (George) – 2:30
4. "On Your Way Down" (Allen Toussaint) – 5:31
5. "Kiss It Off" (George) – 2:56
6. "Fool Yourself" (Fred Tackett) – 3:10
7. "Walkin' All Night" (Paul Barrère, Bill Payne) – 3:35
8. "Fat Man In The Bathtub" (George) – 4:29
9. "Juliette" (George) – 3:20
10. "Lafayette Railroad" (George, Payne) – 3:40

Babs said:
Wow, Dennie, I stated to play some tunes before even reading what you started your Saturday with, I picked a Bruce CD as well.

Scenes_Hornsby.jpg

Bruce is an amazing & talented musician. :handgestures-thumbup: :music-listening:

.......... :bow-blue:

Great minds....! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Dennie

Picture012.jpg

Rare Bird Alert -- Deluxe Edition CD

Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers

2011 Rounder Records

Product Description

Renaissance man Steve Martin returns to his musical passion - bluegrass - with a new album of all original songs, backed by the Steep Canyon Rangers. Rare Bird Alert is the follow up to 2009's GRAMMY® Award-winning The Crow and features precise picking, delightful melodies, and well constructed lyrics , the hallmarks of Martin's musical pursuits. Special guests, Paul McCartney and the Dixie Chicks lend their vocal talents, respectively, to "Best Love" and "You". This deluxe version comes with collectible Rare Bird Trading Cards.

1. Rare Bird Alert
2. Yellow-Backed Fly
3. Best Love
4. Northern Island
5. Go Away, Stop, Turn Around, Come Back
6. Jubilation Day
7. More Bad Weather On The Way
8. You
9. The Great Remember (for Nancy)
10. Women Like To Slow Dance
11. Hide Behind A Rock
12. Atheists Don't Have No Songs
13. King Tut

71xnW-8BLeL._SX425_.jpg

I'm liking this one a lot more than his first album. A Most Disgusting Song is a hilarious update to Billy Joel's Piano Man. :laughing:

stangetzballadsbossa_zps85da28f6.jpg

Ballads & Bossa Nova -- CD

Stan Getz

1995 Columbia Special Products

An acceptable budget-priced introduction to the brilliance of Stan Getz, Ballads and Bossa Nova splits pretty evenly between the two, with readings of standards like "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face" and "Skylark" alongside "E Precisio Perdoar" and "Ligia." Review by Raymond McKinney

Track Listing
1. I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face
2. Blue Serge
3. Skylark
4. Just One of Those Things
5. Misty
6. Preciso Perdoar
7. Ligia

cfea828fd7a04bcb81f51110.L.jpg

Quiet Now - Body And Soul -- CD

Stan Getz

2000 Verve Records

The Stan Getz volume in Verve's Quiet Now series is a stellar collection of ballads from the '50s and '60s when Getz and his bands led jazz polls continually. His bossa material, which is his best known, is represented here by three cuts -- and no, "Girl from Ipanema" is not one of them -- including "Corcovado." That said, it's his interpretations of standards such as "Little Girl Blue," "It Never Entered My Mind," "Sweet Rain," and "Serenade in Blue" that the great tenorman's true lyrical gift comes into play. Getz, who had all the chops to burn down the barn, is heard here in the shining light of restraint, where his airy tone drenched in fluid blues offers a poet's sense of gentility and elegance. This is one of the finest collections in the entire Verve series and paints a vivid portrait of the artist as a melodist of the highest ability. ~ Thom Jurek

Track listing

1. Body and Soul
2. Detour Ahead - (featuring Oscar Peterson)
3. It Never Entered My Mind
4. Corcovado (Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars)
5. Alfie
6. Sweet Rain - (featuring Chick Corea)
7. Melinda - (featuring Bill Evans)
8. O Grande Amor - (featuring Joao Gilberto/Antonio Carlos Jobim)
9. Early Autumn
10. Here's That Rainy Day
11. Serenade in Blue
12. I Remember When
13. Thanks for the Memory
14. Little Girl Blue
15. Insensatez (How Insensitive) - (featuring Antonio Carlos Jobim)

Personnel includes: Stan Getz (tenor saxophone); Joao Gilberto (vocals, guitar); Astrud Gilberto (vocals); Antonio Carlos Jobim, Oscar Peterson, Chick Corea, Bill Evans (piano).

0d28c0a398a0ea932527f110.L.jpg

Will The Circle Be Unbroken Volume 2 -- CD

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

1989 MCA Nashville Records

Amazon.com

"We've lost the living room," Emmylou Harris says before her ethereal version of "Mary Danced with Soldiers," "but today I think we got it back." Full of back-home warmth, inspired pairings--Roseanne Cash and John Hiatt, Levon Helm and the host Nitty Gritty Dirt Band--and a song selection that walks the line between traditionals and excellent contemporary material, somehow this follow up to the barrier-breaking first volume is never nostalgic nor aimless. In fact, it's nearly as good--even John Denver sounds inspired. Jimmy Martin sings "Sitting on Top of the World" as if his life depended on it, and Ricky Skaggs and Levon Helm both turn in vocal performances that stand comfortably beside any of their careers. --Roy Francis Kasten

"Life's Railway to Heaven" (Traditional, arranged by Johnny Cash) – 4:39
Lead vocal and guitar by Johnny Cash with June Carter Cash, Anita Carter and Helen Carter (as the Carter Family)
Randy Scruggs plays "Mother" Maybelle Carter's Gibson L5
"Grandpa Was a Carpenter" (John Prine) – 3:24
Lead vocal and guitar by John Prine
"When I Get My Rewards" (Paul Kennerley) – 4:25
Lead vocal by Levon Helm
"Don't You Hear Jerusalem Moan" (Traditional) – 3:56
Mandolin and first verse lead vocals by Sam Bush, second-verse vocals by John Cowan and Bob Carpenter
"Little Mountain Church House (Jim Rushing/Carl Jackson) – 3:32
Lead vocal and guitar by Ricky Skaggs
"And So It Goes" (Paul Overstreet/Don Schlitz) – 3:54
Lead vocal by John Denver
Released on John Denver's Australian album Stonehaven Sunset
"When It's Gone" (Jimmie Fadden/Don Schlitz) – 2:34
Lead vocal by Jimmy Ibbotson
"Mary Danced With Soldiers" (Kennerley) – 3:07
Lead vocal and guitar by Emmylou Harris
"Riding Alone" (Bob Carpenter/Jeff Hanna/Richard Hathaway) – 3:09
Lead vocals by Bob Carpenter and Emmylou Harris
"I'm Sitting on Top of the World" (Lonnie Chatmon/Walter Vinson) – 3:10
Lead vocal and guitar by Jimmy Martin
"Lovin' on the Side" (Paulette Carlson, Jimmy Ibbotson, Sandy Waltner) – 2:57
Lead vocal by Paulette Carlson
"Lost River" (Michael Martin Murphey) – 3:26
Lead vocal and guitar by Michael Martin Murphey
"Bayou Jubilee" (Jeff Hanna) – 3:01
Lead vocal by Jeff Hanna
"Blues Berry Hill" (Carpenter/Fadden/Hanna/Ibbotson/R. Scruggs) – 3:26
Instrumental, featuring Randy Scruggs on lead guitar
"Turn of the Century" (J. Fred Knobloch/Dan Tyler) – 3:39
Lead vocals by Jimmy Ibbotson (first verse), Jeff Hanna (second verse) and Bob Carpenter (third verse)
"One Step Over the Line" (John Hiatt) – 4:30
Lead vocal and guitar by John Hiatt with Rosanne Cash, vocals
"You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" (Bob Dylan) – 3:53
Lead vocals and twelve-string guitar by Roger McGuinn with Chris Hillman, lead vocals and guitar
"The Valley Road" (Bruce Hornsby) – 4:13
Lead vocals and piano by Bruce Hornsby
"Will the Circle Be Unbroken" (A. P. Carter/last verse lyrics by Jimmy Ibbotson) – 5:39
Lead vocals by Johnny Cash (first verse), Roy Acuff (second verse), Ricky Skaggs (third verse), Levon Helm with Emmylou Harris (fourth verse) and Jimmy Ibbotson (fifth verse)
Backing choir: Roy Acuff, Cynthia Biederman, Sam Bush, Paulette Carlson, Bob Carpenter, Gretchen Carpenter, June Carter Cash, Johnny Cash, Cindy Cash, John Cowan, Steve Dahl, John Denver, Jimmie Fadden, Bela Fleck, Pat Flynn, Radney Foster, Vince Gill, Jeff Hanna, Melody Hanna, John Hiatt, Chris Hillman, Bruce Hornsby, Jimmy Ibbotson, Helen Carter Jones, David Jones, Bashful Brother Oswald, Bill Lloyd, Jimmy Martin, Michael Martin Murphey, Roger McGuinn, Tracy Nelson, Robert Oermann, Brad Parker, Don Schlitz, Earl Scruggs, Gary Scruggs, Randy Scruggs, Steve Scruggs, Lynn Shults, Marty Stuart, Wendy Waldman, Steve Wariner, Cheryl White, Sharon White, Bobbie White
"Amazing Grace" (John Newton) – 1:48
Solo guitar, performed by Randy Scruggs

And The Circle will continue......

79ba62e89da02299c31c3110.L.jpg

Return of The Grievous Angel- A Tribute to Gram Parsons-- CD

Various Great Artists

1999 ALMO Sounds

Unlike many hastily thrown together tribute albums, GRIEVOUS ANGEL has the distinction of having the heavy involvement of someone who was personally involved with the artist. In this case, that would be Gram Parsons' musical soulmate, Emmylou Harris. Her participation goes beyond mere executive producer duties as she duets with the Pretenders (a shimmering "She"), Beck (straightforward strum and twang on "Sin City") and Sheryl Crow (an ethereal "Juanita").Although the Cosmic Cowboy's love of country music could be reverential (as evidenced by Elvis Costello's gentle reading of "Sleepless Nights" and the emotive Evan Dando/Juliana Hatfield take on "$1,000 Wedding"), the native Floridian also had a more fun-loving side to his persona. Former Byrd and Burrito-mate Chris Hillman proves this by teaming up with Steve Earle on the country shuffle "High Fashion Queen" as do Wilco who turn the rollicking number "One Hundred Years From Now" into a stomper overflowing with gnarly guitar and Wurlitzer runs.Parson's death at such a young age lends a spiritual quality to this album. This feeling is mirrored in the gospel-soaked "In My Hour Of Darkness" by the Rolling Creekdippers, an ad hoc group consisting of Buddy & Julie Miller, Jim Lauderdale, Victoria Williams and Marc Olson.

Track Listing
1. She - Emmylou Harris/Pretenders
2. Ooh Las Vegas - Cowboy Junkies
3. Sin City - Emmylou Harris/Beck
4. $1000 Wedding - Evan Dando/Juliana Hatfield
5. Hot Burrito #1 - The Mavericks
6. High Fashion Queen - Chris Hillman/Steve Earle
7. Juanita - Emmylou Harris/Sheryl Crow
8. Sleepless Nights - Elvis Costello
9. Return of the Grievous Angel - David Crosby/Lucinda Williams
10. One Hundred Years from Now - Wilco
11. A - Whiskeytown Song for You
12. Hickory Wind - Gillian Welch
13. In My Hour of Darkness - Rolling Creekdippers

A portion of the album's proceeds will go toward the Vietnam Veterans of America Foundation's "Campaign For A Landmine-Free World."Includes liner notes by Bud Scoppa.Personnel: Gillian Welch (vocals, guitar, drums); Ryan Adams (vocals, guitar); Raul Mato (vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar); Sheryl Crow (vocals, acoustic guitar, violin); Chris Hillman, Emmylou Harris, Julie Miller, Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, Beck (vocals, acoustic guitar); Buddy Miller (vocals, 12-string guitar, melodica); Victoria Williams (vocals, banjo); Elvis Costello (vocals, piano, celesta, vibraphone); David Rawlings (vocals, organ); Chrissie Hynde, David Crosby, Jeff Tweedy, Jim Lauderdale, Mark Olson (vocals); Ethan Johns (guitar, electric guitar, mandolin, drums, percussion); Jay Bennett (guitar, piano, Wurlitzer organ, background vocals); Adam Seymour, John Jorgenson, Michael Timmins, Smokey Hormel, Tim Smith (guitar); Evan Dando (acoustic guitar, electric guitar); Steve Donnelly (acoustic guitar); Jeff Trott, Michael Henderson , Nick Kane, Bernie Leadon, Brad Rice (electric guitar); Jay Dee Maness (steel guitar); Greg Leisz (lap steel guitar, mandolin); Gurf Morlix (lap steel guitar); Ed Foote (hurdy-gurdy); Gabe Witcher (fiddle); Richard Causon (accordion, piano); Skip Edwards (piano); Spooner Oldham (electric piano); Benmont Tench (organ); Jerry Dale McFadden (Wurlitzer organ, keyboards); Robert Reynolds (electric bass); Roy Babbington (bass guitar); Ken Coomer (drums, background vocals); Fran Breen, Pete Thomas , Dale Baker, Willie Ornelas, Gregg Williams , Joey Waronker, Paul Deakin, Peter Timmins, Martin Chambers (drums); Dave Houghton (percussion); David Trumfio, John Stirratt (background vocals).Audio Mixers: Chris Lord-Alge; Ethan Johns; Glyn Johns; Jay Bennett; Allen Sides; Mike Bradley; Trina Shoemaker; Bernard Matthews; Buddy Miller.Liner Note Author: Bud Scoppa.Recording information: Chemical Sounds, Toronto, Ontario, Canada; Fort Apache Studios, Boston, MA; Oceanway Studios, Los Angeles, CA; SoundShop.

61mpG1EYkXL.jpg

Live -- CD/DVD

Steve Martin and The Steep Canyon Rangers featuring Edie Brickell

2014 Rounder Records

.In the early '80s, Steve Martin gave up a wildly successful career as a standup comic to focus on acting, becoming a bankable film star, and enjoying rewarding sidelines as an author and playwright. But decades later, Martin took a route back to live performing by turning to his skills as a banjo player -- he'd long used the banjo as part of his stage act, and his final comedy LP, 1981's The Steve Martin Brothers, featured one side of jokes and another of bluegrass-influenced instrumentals. In 2009, Martin released an all-music album called The Crow: New Songs for the Five-String Banjo, and he was soon touring regularly in tandem with the progressive bluegrass band the Steep Canyon Rangers. Four years into their collaboration, Martin and the Rangers have become a strong live act who don't have to rely on his gags to please a crowd (though the gags are certainly welcome), as evidenced by this album, taken from a show recorded for broadcast on PBS. Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers featuring Edie Brickell Live absolutely lives up to its title, with Martin and the band joined on several numbers by singer/songwriter Brickell, who collaborated with Martin on the 2013 album Love Has Come for You. While Martin is funny, he's not a great vocalist, so Brickell brings a strong set of pipes, some fine lyrics, and a warm stage presence to this show, and given her wildly uneven body of work since scoring a hit in 1988 with "What I Am," her work with Martin ranks with the best music she's made since her debut. The Steep Canyon Rangers are in superb form here, filling out the tunes with expert playing and richly imaginative arrangements. For the most part, Martin is content to play the banjo in this concert, and if he's something short of a virtuoso, he's certainly talented and possesses a strong melodic sense, which he displays on original compositions like "Daddy Played the Banjo" and "The Crow." And to no one's surprise, when Martin does go for a laugh, it works, especially on the a cappella number "Atheists Don't Have No Songs," as well as the witty but mordant "Pretty Little One," which shifts gears midway from a love song to a murder ballad. Martin is hardly the first actor of note to take a flier at music, but his 21st century albums have proved he's no dilettante, and Live confirms he can go on-stage without a net and emerge with flying colors; if he wanted to keep doing this instead of another Pink Panther sequel, most fans would probably consider it time better spent. ~ Mark Deming

Disc: 1 CD
1. Katie Mae
2. Jubilation Day
3. Get Along Stray Dog
4. Yes She Did
5. Love Has Come For You
6. The Crow
7. Fighter
8. Sarah Jane And The Iron Mountain Baby
9. Hunger
10. Atheists Don't Have No Songs
11. The Great Remember (for Nancy)
12. Sun's Gonna Shine
13. When You Get To Asheville
14. Pretty Little One
15. Auden's Train
16. The Dance At The Wedding
17. Remember Me This Way
18. Pitkin County Turnaround / So Long Now
19. Daddy Played The Banjo

Disc: 2 DVD
1. Katie Mae
2. Daddy Played The Banjo
3. Jubilation Day
4. The Crow
5. Get Along Stray Dog
6. Love Has Come For You
7. Fighter
8. Sarah Jane And The Iron Mountain Baby
9. Stand And Deliver
10. Hunger
11. Atheists Don't Have No Songs
12. The Great Remember (for Nancy)
13. Sun's Gonna Shine
14. When You Get To Asheville
15. Shawnee
16. Yes She Did
17. Pretty Little One
18. Auden's Train
19. The Dance At The Wedding
20. Remember Me This Way
21. Pitkin County Turnaround / So Long Now

611ImR6w45L.jpg

One Alone -- CD

Dave Brubeck

2000 Telarc Records

Dave Brubeck rarely recorded as a solo pianist, but beginning in the late '90s, he started performing occasional solo pieces in concert and recorded two first-rate solo dates for Telarc. His third solo CD for the label is full of rich harmonies that any Brubeck fan can identify as his in seconds, including a mix of memorable but overlooked songs from the 1920s through the 1940s, plus a few choice standards and a pair of his timeless originals. Brubeck clearly loves old ballads like "That Old Feeling" and "I'll Never Smile Again," and there are several classics that are perfect vehicles for Brubeck. "Someone to Watch Over Me" is yet another lush ballad, while his unusual chord substitutions to the very familiar "Over the Rainbow" are dazzling. He ventures into Duke Ellington's repertoire, obviously having fun with the jaunty "Just Squeeze Me" but at a slower tempo than one would expect; his percussive swinging take of "Things Ain't What They Used to Be" is just as fun but wilder. Brubeck only features two of his own works, but they are among his best. "Weep No More" is the obscure song, appearing first as a part of his 1956 solo piano LP for Columbia, Brubeck Plays Brubeck; this poignant melody deserves to be better known than it is. "Summer Song," written as a vocal feature for Louis Armstrong in Dave & Iola Brubeck's short-lived production The Real Ambassadors, has gradually become a jazz standard. This highly recommended CD is yet another of his finest hours. ~ Ken Dryden

Track Listing
1. That Old Feeling
2. I'll Never Smile Again
3. One Alone
4. You've Got Me Crying Again
5. Someone to Watch over Me
6. Just Squeeze Me (But Don't Tease Me)
7. Harbor Lights
8. Things Ain't What They Used to Be
9. Summer Song
10. Red Sails in the Sunset
11. Weep No More
12. Bye Bye Blues
13. Over the Rainbow

Solo performer: Dave Brubeck (piano).Recorded at Ambient Music Studio, Stamford, Connecticut on September 3, 1997 & St. David's Hall, Cardiff, Wales on November 11, 1998. Includes liner notes by Alexander Coleman.

ef35b2c008a0d8ec71bb7010.L.jpg

Jazz -- CD

Ry Cooder

1978/1990 Warner Bros. Records

JAZZ focuses on early ragtime and vaudeville traditions of American jazz. 3 songs ("In A Mist", "Flashes" and "Davenport Blues") are tributes to the legendary cornetist Bix Beiderbecke. Also included are gospel standards and a Jelly Roll Morton medley.Beginning with his self-titled debut in 1970, Ry Cooder's records seemed to be as much history lesson as they were entertainment. Not because Cooder was trying to club you over the head with this stuff; he simply gravitated to great songs, no matter what the era or genre. Released in 1978, Jazz seems to be his first conscious attempt at a concept album, in the historical sense. Here he pays homage to some of the early tunes and masters of jazz, ranging from the late 1800s through the "coon songs" of the early part of the next century, to the ragtime and "Spanish" music of Jelly Roll Morton, and the sophistication of cornetist Bix Beiderbecke. The only living artist (at the time of release) who's represented here is the great Bahamian guitarist Joseph Spence, who recorded from the '50s through the '80s, and whose syncopated style was extremely influential in Cooder's own development as a guitarist. Spence's sacred songs are presented here in string and brass band arrangements that emphasize the Caribbean connection between his music and Morton's habaniera pieces. The complexity of the material on Jazz, as well as the arrangements by Joseph Byrd, dictate that this is Cooder's most polished and orchestrated effort to date. Whereas in the past, even at their most removed, Cooder's records usually kept at least one foot in rock & roll or blues, Jazz can, at times, lack some of that fire and be almost bookish in its approach. Still, there is enough excitement in the music's intricacies and Cooder's beautiful, fluid playing to forgive the politeness of some of the performances. From the informative liner notes by Ry Cooder himself to the brilliant compositions, Jazz is, at the very least, educational. But, a little time spent with this music and you'll see why it was and continues to be relevant, as well as beloved. ~ Brett Hartenbach

Track Listing
1. Big Bad Bill Is Sweet William Now
2. Face to Face That I Shall Meet Him
3. The Pearls / Tia Juana
4. The Dream
5. Happy Meeting in Glory
6. In a Mist
7. Flashes
8. Davenport Blues
9. Shine
10. Nobody
11. We Shall Be Happy

Personnel: Ry Cooder (vocals, guitars, mandola, tiple, harp); Jimmy Adams, Bill Johnson, Simon Pico Payne, Cliff Givens (vocals); David Lindley (mandobanjo, mandolin); Willie Schwartz, David Sherr (clarinet); Harvey Pittel (clarinet, alto saxophone); Pat Rizzo (alto saxophone); Bill Hood (bass saxophone); Mario Guarneri, Oscar Brashear (cornets); George Bohanon (baritone horn, trombone); Randy Aldcroft (trombone); Red Callender (tuba); John Rodby (piano); Barbara Starkey (pump organ); Tom Collier (marimba, vibraphone); Stuart Brotman (cymbalum); Chuck Domanico, Chuck Berghoffer, Tom Pedrini (bass); Mark Stevens (drums, percussion).

Today's work truck music...

d11c81b0c8a073725b8b8110.L.jpg

Jailbreak -- CD

Thin Lizzy

1976 Vertigo Records

Jailbreak, what a fantastic recording!, July 13, 2005
By Hellion Zephreid (Pittsburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jailbreak (Audio CD)

I remember buying this in the summer of 1976 after hearing "The Boys Are back in Town" on the radio a few times. That song is one of the top 10 songs ever! When I bought it as an LP (remember those?), I was so excited and distracted that I put the wrong side on the turntable. Instead of that song, out of the speakers came the title track JAILBREAK. Another timeless classic. Needles to say, the entire record of 9 songs was fantastic and there truly isn't a dud on here. Since then I have bought these songs on cassette, CD, and now the remastered version. Great story in the liner notes too. Buy it and read it for yourself. It is almost hard to believe the recorded output Lizzy put out in the years of 1975 through 1977. Quality too. Hell, "Johnny the Fox" also came out later that year in '76 and is every bit as good as this, unfortunately overlooked because of the lack of a hit. Personal favorites on here are "Romeo and the Lonely Girl", "Emerald", and "Warriors". I love them all. If you want some great rock songs with excellent twin guitar breaks, this is for you. See where Maiden, Leppard, and The Darkness got it from in the first place!

All songs written by Phil Lynott except where noted.

Side one

"Jailbreak" – 4:01
"Angel from the Coast" (Lynott, Brian Robertson) – 3:03
"Running Back" – 3:13
"Romeo and the Lonely Girl" – 3:55
"Warriors" (Lynott, Scott Gorham) – 4:09

Side two

"The Boys Are Back in Town" – 4:27
"Fight or Fall" – 3:45
"Cowboy Song" (Lynott, Brian Downey) – 5:16
"Emerald" (Gorham, Downey, Robertson, Lynott) – 4:03

On the 1996 Mercury CD reissue, "Angel from the Coast" and "Running Back" are listed as the second track with only one running time, making it appear to be a single song called "Angel from the Coast Running Back", and there is no third track listed. However, all the songs are sequenced as on the original LP release.

51dVGU1tHmL._SS400_.jpg

The Marshall Tucker Band -- CD

The Marshall Tucker Band

1973 AJK Music

Product Description

The Marshall Tucker Band, acknowledged as one of the founding fathers of the Southern rock movement, is celebrating its 30th anniversary with an ongoing catalog restoration and release program. One of the first releases is their eponymous 1973 TMTB debut. It comes augmented with a live bonus track from the band’s early days on the road and has been remastered from the original analog tapes produced by Paul Hornsby.

The Marshall Tucker Band was originally released by Capricorn Records in March of 1973 (Billboard #29). The album included "Can’t You See," a song considered the band’s "anthem."

"The buying public never really cared whether we were country or rock and roll" says founding member Doug Gray. "They called us a Southern rock band, but we have always played everything from country to blues and all things in-between."

1. "Take the Highway" (Toy Caldwell) - 6:15
2. "Can't You See" (Toy Caldwell) - 6:05
3. "Losing You" (Toy Caldwell) - 5:10
4. "Hillbilly Band" (Toy Caldwell) - 2:35
5. "See You Later, I'm Gone" (Toy Caldwell) - 3:08
6. "Ramblin'" (Toy Caldwell) - 5:07
7. "My Jesus Told Me So" (Toy Caldwell) - 5:32
8. "AB's Song" (Toy Caldwell) - 1:15

32f7810ae7a0f03418199110.L.jpg

Blues On The Bayou -- CD

B.B. King

1998 MCA Records

Amazon.com's Best of 1998

Opting for simplicity this time around, B.B. King gets by with a little help from his excellent backing band, producing an album that's evocative of the Louisiana countryside where it was recorded. After over half a century in the business, King knows what he's about: he makes playing good blues sound easy, and every track on Blues on the Bayou is a treat. --Genevieve Williams

"Blues Boys Tune" - 3:25
"Bad Case of Love" - 5:28
"I'll Survive" - 4:53
"Mean Ole' World" - 4:29
"Blues Man" - 5:20
"Broken Promise" - 3:34
"Darlin' What Happened" - 5:26
"Shake It Up and Go" - 3:10
"Blues We Like" - 5:08
"Good Man Gone Bad" - 3:20
"If I Lost You" - 4:57
"Tell Me Baby" - 3:26