• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

No.
As long as you like Alice in Chains better than any of them.

:angelic-green:

Today's work truck music....

d41362e89da0861979fa2110.L.jpg

Slowhand -- CD

Eric Clapton

1977/1996 Polydor Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Clapton had already established himself as a guitar legend by the time he released Slowhand. His heroin habit long behind him, Clapton's songwriting mastery was fully evident on the album, particularly in the stunning ballad "Wonderful Tonight." It fully actualized all of the potential hinted at in his earlier "Promises," and Clapton trusted himself enough to slow things down. Some of his most expressive guitar work can be found throughout this album, not just within "Wonderful." Ironically enough, Slowhand is probably best known for the hit "Cocaine." Built upon a simple repeated riff, the song had Clapton's trademark smooth voice with its wear around the edges, and yet another stellar guitar solo. Flashy runs and licks were never the most integral part of Clapton's catalog, his blues background being the primary source for his sound. Slowhand, with its phrasings, both guitar and vocal, established Clapton as the possessor of one of the most extensive vocabularies in rock. --Steve Gdula

Side one

"Cocaine" (J.J. Cale) – 3:41
"Wonderful Tonight" (Clapton) – 3:44
"Lay Down Sally" (Clapton, Marcy Levy, George Terry) – 3:56
"Next Time You See Her" (Clapton) – 4:01
"We're All The Way" (Don Williams) – 2:32

Side two

"The Core" (Clapton/Levy) – 8:45
"May You Never" (John Martyn) – 3:01
"Mean Old Frisco" (Arthur Crudup) – 4:42
"Peaches and Diesel" (Clapton, Albhy Galuten) – 4:46

Happy Saturday everyone... :banana-dance:

41jQJsOafyL._SS500_.jpg

Hillbilly Deluxe -- CD

Dwight Yoakam

1987 Reprise Records

Dwight Yoakam At His Best, May 20, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Hillbilly Deluxe (Audio CD)

Dwight Yoakam out-did-himself...I love this CD...Dwight is pure country...any fan of rockabilly...or Bluegrass...should try this CD...I believe Dwight enjoyed the songs he sung on "Hillbilly DeLuxe" that's what makes this album so natural...The words are heart-felt...and the music is just amazing...Dwight wrote a couple of the songs on this album fer family...which makes em special ta him as well as the fans...Dwight did an outstandin job on this one...I Love it !!!

"Little Ways" (Dwight Yoakam) - 3:18
"Smoke Along the Track" (Alan Rose/Don Helms) - 3:13
"Johnson's Love" (Dwight Yoakam) - 4:25
"Please, Please Baby" (Dwight Yoakam) - 3:36
"Readin', Rightin', Rt. 23" (Dwight Yoakam) - 3:32
"Always Late with Your Kisses" (Lefty Frizzell/Blackie Crawford) - 2:10
"1,000 Miles" (Dwight Yoakam) - 4:10
"Throughout All Time" (Dwight Yoakam) - 3:54
"Little Sister" (Doc Pomus/Mort Shuman) - 3:01
"This Drinkin' Will Kill Me" (Dwight Yoakam) - 2:35

Happy Sunday everyone.... :banana-rock:

876fb220dca01f861c7e7010.L.jpg

The Sermon! -- Remastered CD

Jimmy Smith

1958/2000 Blue Note Records

Amazon.com

Jimmy Smith put the Hammond B-3 organ on the jazz map for good in the 1950s. The Sermon, dating from 1958, is among his best recordings, featuring the exceptional lineup of trumpeter Lee Morgan, altoist Lou Donaldson, tenorman Tina Brooks, guitarist Kenny Burrell, drummer Art Blakey, and others. Smith's smooth, vibratoless sound perfectly suits the nimble and prodding leads of the player as he touches on R&B, soul, blues and, of course, gospel. This brings us to "The Sermon," which is reason enough to seek this gem out. Smith's group takes the title tune out for a 20-minute, fully improvised, slow-blues stroll, during which each player shares the spotlight. The soul-stirring feeling set in motion by Smith rubs off on the other musicians to make this tune and album a defining moment in organ jazz, and even in soul music. The Sermon stands as a sparkling gem in the Rudy Van Gelder reissue series. --Tad Hendrickson

"The Sermon" – 20:12
"J.O.S." – 11:56
"Flamingo" – 8:02

Jimmy Smith - organ
Lee Morgan - trumpet
Lou Donaldson - alto saxophone on "The Sermon"
George Coleman - alto saxophone on "J.O.S."
Tina Brooks - tenor saxophone on "The Sermon"
Kenny Burrell - guitar on "The Sermon" and "Flamingo"
Eddie McFadden - guitar on "J.O.S."
Art Blakey - drums on "The Sermon" and "Flamingo"
Donald Bailey - drums on "J.O.S."

23141363ada00ec2ef48f010.L.jpg

Indestructible -- Remastered RVG Edition CD

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers

1965/2003 Blue Note Records

Prime Blakey, Prime Blue Note December 19, 2004
By David Hewitt
Format:Audio CD

Not that one can ever really go wrong with an Art Blakey/Jazz Messengers recording, but some are stronger than others; this is among the very strongest. The lineup 'Bu' worked with here for his final Blue Note outing was probably the most prominent overall group of Messengers, with Shorter, Morgan, Workman, and Curtis Fuller on trombone. It's Fuller who contributes the first two tracks, 'The Egyptian' and 'Sortie', and along with Shorter's 'Mr. Jin', they are the strongest, most original and compelling songs on the disc. A typical Morgan romp ('Calling Miss Khadija'), a typically expressive Walton ballad ('When Love Is New'), and a bonus Shorter cut ('It's A Long Way Down', not his most memorable composition) round out the contents. The tracks are appealingly varied, though tied together by the manifest quality of the writing and playing; needless to say, Morgan, Shorter, and Fuller are consistently brilliant, imaginative soloists, and the music doesn't drag for a split-second in the album's entirety. As soon as you hear the first minor chords ring out on Walton's piano after a brief intro from Blakey in the first seconds of the opening track, there is no doubt this promises to be an exciting listen in the most classic vein of hard-bopness.

"The Egyptian" (Fuller) – 10:25
"Sortie" (Fuller) – 8:13
"Calling Miss Khadija" (Morgan) – 7:21
"When Love is New" (Walton) – 6:02
"Mr. Jin" (Shorter) – 7:04
"It's a Long Way Down" (Shorter) – 5:26 Bonus track on CD

Recorded on April 24 (#5) and May 15 (#1-4), 1964. Bonus track on April 15, 1964.

Lee Morgan — trumpet
Curtis Fuller — trombone
Wayne Shorter — tenor saxophone
Cedar Walton — piano
Reggie Workman — bass
Art Blakey — drums

red-norvo-good-vibes-cd-lacrado-141_zps0365e5b6.jpg

Good Vibes -- Remastered CD

Red Norvo

1943-45/1997 Drive Records

This budget CD gives listeners highlights from several V-Disc sessions headed by vibraphonist Red Norvo during the 1943-44 period. Most of the selections feature Norvo heading an octet that has a couple of lesser-known but talented horn players (trumpeter Dale Pierce and trombonist Dick Taylor) plus clarinetist Aaron Sachs, the great tenor Flip Phillips, pianist Ralph Burns, bassist Clyde Lombardi and drummer Johnny Blowers. In addition, there are guest appearances by singer Helen Ward ("Too Marvelous for Words") and pianist Teddy Wilson. The music is essentially late-period swing, with Norvo in superb form on such numbers as "1-2-3-4 Jump," the boppish "Purple Feathers," "In a Mellow Tone" and a couple numbers ("Seven Come Eleven" and "Flying Home") more closely associated with Lionel Hampton. Although this CD is the length of an LP and the sessions are not quite complete, the music is worthwhile and inexpensively priced. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Seven Come Eleven
2. Lagwood Walk
3. The Sergeant on Furlough
4. Too Marvelous for Words
5. 1-2-3-4 Jump
6. Purple Feathers
7. In a Mellow Tone
8. Flying Home
9. The Bass on the Barroom Floor
10. Which Switch Witch
11. Blue Skies

Personnel: Red Norvo (vibraphone); Flip Phillips (tenor saxophone); Dale Pierce (trumpet); Dick Taylor (trombone); Aaron Sachs (clarinet); Ralph Burns, Teddy Wilson, Specs Powell (piano); Remo Palmieri (guitar); Clyde Lombardi, Al Hall (bass); Johnny Blowers, Danny Negri, Eddie Dell (drums).Recorded between October 28, 1943 and February 28, 1945.

61K%2BiG9yqSL.jpg

The Modern Jazz Quartet -- Remastered CD

The Modern Jazz Quartet

1957/2002 Atlantic/Wounded Bird Records

A Unique Group December 19, 2009
By Royden
Format:Audio CD

I first heard the MJQ in 1954 as a 14 year old. So yeah, I'm 70. John Lewis was a great composer as well as a truly fine piano player. Milt Jackson was a very innovative vibe player. Percy Heath was as good as it gets for an upright bass player. Percy had all the electricity inside him and didn't need to plug his bass in anywhere. Connie Kay had so many faces as a jazz drummer. Each of these four musicians was among the very top of their respective professions. There have been other great groups, and I am sure more will come along after I'm gone, but there will never be another group with the chemistry of the MJQ. When this record was released it blew me away. If you don't know the MJQ, this is about as good an introduction as any, and many argue that it is the best. I don't really understand how anyone could pick a particular record and say it was the best the MJQ did. However, if you want to be educated in American jazz, this is a remarkably wonderful and creative group. To this day, when I hear an MJQ track where they are deep in the groove, it makes my very soul dance.

Track Listing
1. Medley: They Say It's Wonderful/How Deep Is The Ocean/I Don't Stand A Ghost Of A Chance With You/My Old Flame/Body And Soul
2. Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea
3. La Ronde: Drums
4. Night In Tunisia
5. Yesterdays
6. Bags' Groove
7. Baden-Baden

Modern Jazz Quartet: Milt Jackson (vibraphone); John Lewis (piano); Percy Heath (bass); Connie Kay (drums)originally released on Atlantic.

61jGzqlNMnL._SS500_.jpg

Poinciana -- Remastered CD

Ahmad Jamal

1963/1989 Portrait/Columbia Records

POINCIANA contains material recorded between 1951 and 1955. Includes liner notes by Stanley Crouch.This fascinating date features pianist Ahmad Jamal at the beginning of his recording career. With guitarist Ray Crawford and either Eddie Calhoun or Israel Crosby on bass, Jamal showcases a style that would be a major influence on Miles Davis' music. Jamal's use of space and dynamics was very different than the style of any other jazz pianist of the era. His versions of "Old Devil Moon," "Will You Still Be Mine?," "The Surrey with the Fringe on Top," and "A Gal in Calico" inspired Miles to record the songs in a similar fashion, and his "Billy Boy" became the basis of a performance by the Red Garland Trio. Most fascinating is Jamal's inventive interpretation of "Pavanne," for it has a section very reminiscent of "So What" (which was not "composed" by Davis until over two years later) and a melody statement that is exactly the same as John Coltrane's "Impressions." ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Old Devil Moon
2. Ahmad's Blues
3. Poinciana
4. Billy Boy
5. Will You Still Be Mine
6. Pavanne
7. Crazy He Calls Me
8. Surrey With the Fringe on Top, The
9. Aki and Ukthay
10. Slaughter on 10th Avenue
11. Gal in Calico, A
12. It's Easy to Remember

518%2BL07IMgL.jpg

Pyramid -- CD

The Modern Jazz Quartet

1960/1990 Atlantic Jazz

This is a strong recording from the Modern Jazz Quartet, with inventive versions of John Lewis' "Vendome," Ray Brown's "Pyramid," Jim Hall's "Romaine," and Lewis' famous "Django," along with cooking jams on "How High the Moon" and "It Don't Mean a Thing." The MJQ had become a jazz institution by this time, but they never lost their creative edge, and their performances (even on the remakes) are quite stimulating, enthusiastic, and fresh. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Vendome
2. Pyramid
3. It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
4. Django
5. How High the Moon
6. Romaine

he Modern Jazz Quartet: John Lewis (piano); Milt Jackson (vibes); Percy Heath (bass); Connie Kay (drums).

51mK3l7xAUL._SS500_.jpg

Criss-Cross -- Remastered CD

Thelonious Monk

1963/1993 Columbia Legacy

THE place to start your Monk collection, December 25, 2003
By R. J. Marsella (California) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER) (REAL NAME)

This review is from: Criss Cross (Audio CD)

A great remastered version of one of Monks' masterpiece recordings. Every selection here offers something unexpected and the entire CD swings like crazy. Monks comping on the title track Criss Cross behind Charlie Rouses's tenor is something to behold. he is never where you think he's going and yet melodic and perfectly in the tune. This guy was really something special and this CD offers a chance to hear him at his peak. Buy it..you can't go wrong here.

All songs composed by Thelonious Monk unless otherwise noted.

"Hackensack" – 4:12
"Tea for Two" (Vincent Youmans, Irving Caesar) – 3:46
"Criss Cross" – 4:52
"Eronel" (Monk, Idrees Sulieman, Sadik Hakim) – 4:29
"Rhythm-A-Ning" – 3:53
"Don't Blame Me" (Jimmy McHugh, Dorothy Fields) – 7:04
"Think of One" – 5:17
"Crepuscule with Nellie" – 2:45

CD reissue bonus track:

"Pannonica" – 6:46

---------

Thelonious Monk — piano
Charlie Rouse — tenor saxophone
John Ore — bass
Frankie Dunlop — drums

Happy Monday everyone.... :eusa-whistle:

14e481b0c8a0752de2629110.L.jpg

Harlequin -- CD

Dave Grusin & Lee Ritenour

1990 GRP Records

You must have this in your collection, July 2, 2005
By o2miller (São Paulo, Brazil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harlequin (Audio CD)

I know that I have always wanted to have a bit of each type of music in my collection so that everyone that I ever had at my house could enjoy something. Not that I believe that it is possible to please everybody, but it IS possible to have music of every type so everyone can enjoy their visit.

This is one of those CDs that various times over the years (I have had it since it came out) someone said - Wow! I have never been able to find this... Since I live in Brazil, it is not easy to find here. And when it is played over Sunday Brunch, or any gathering of a few friends, someone wants to know what it is, and if they can have a copy.

It is the easy to listen to (not easy-listening) kind of jazz that no-one seems to hate. Before you know it, there are feet tapping and heads nodding to the beat. Even my hard-rocker friends like it, as well as the average Joe.

There is simply not a bad song on this, and even if you can't understand the Portuguese language which is sung on a few tracks, you can't mistake the passion that Ivan Lins transmits through Beyond the Storm, which is a personal favorite.

If you like SpyroGyra or the Rippingtons, or if you need a jazz record to please your guests for a wine and cheese party, this is for you!

Track Listing

1. Harlequin
2. Early Am Attitude
3. San Y Sidro
4. Before It's Too Late
5. Cats Of Rio
6. Grid Lock
7. Silent Message
8. Bird

71z48u7XNhL.jpg

Get Lucky -- CD

Mark Knopfler

2009 Reprise Records

This is the sixth solo studio album from the legendary musician and follows 2007's highly successful Kill To Get Crimson, which Rolling Stone heralded as 'a gem' and USA Today described as, '...yet another unpretentious showcase for his unmistakable gifts as a musician, tunesmith and storyteller.'
Recorded at Knopfler's award-winning British Grove Studios in West London, Get Lucky was co-produced with longtime collaborators, engineer Chuck Ainlay and keyboardist Guy Fletcher and featured Richard Bennett, Danny Cummings, John McCusker, Matt Rollings and Glenn Worf. The 11-track album explores a lifetime of musical roots exemplified by the title track. 'The first itinerant person I ever met would sing in soul bands in winter, then work part-time in fairgrounds or 'go pick fruit down south' when the weather turned warm,' explains Knopfler. 'I was about 15 years old, stuck in school and envious. 'Get Lucky' came from him and other traveling characters I went on to meet in places I'd find myself working short-term, like farms, warehouses, building sites, before I got lucky with my songs.'

"Border Reiver" – 4:35
"Hard Shoulder" – 4:33
"You Can't Beat the House" – 3:25
"Before Gas and TV" – 5:50
"Monteleone" – 3:39
"Cleaning My Gun" – 4:43
"The Car Was the One" – 3:55
"Remembrance Day" – 5:05
"Get Lucky" – 4:33
"So Far from the Clyde" – 5:58
"Piper to the End" – 5:47

6197vo9kC-L.jpg

The Traveling Wilburys Collection -- Remastered 2 CD/DVD Box Set

The Traveling Wilburys

2007 Rhino/WEA Records

Amazon.com

The Traveling Wilburys were one of the few supergroups that lived up to their promise, because they didn't try to. Things started inauspiciously when George Harrison, needing a B-side for a 1988 single, called in friends Jeff Lynne, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, and Roy Orbison for assistance. Two albums later--the second without Orbison, who had passed away shortly after the first was released--the loose-knit collective had recorded material that was as durable, and occasionally eclipsed, the participants' legendary solo work. The Wilburys succeeded due to a genial and contagious camaraderie that permeates both discs. What could have been a train wreck of ego clashes instead resulted in a frothy meeting of the minds. These guys are having a blast, trading lead vocals and harmonies on energetic folk-rock, quirky rockabilly, and Beatlesque pop that shimmers with the respect and esteem the members clearly hold for each other. Harrison and Lynne's rather slick production polishes off edges that might better have been left unvarnished, but there's no denying the loosey-goosey craftsmanship at work in tunes such as "Handle with Care," "End of the Line," and a striking Orbison performance on "Not Alone Anymore" that ranks with any of his finest. Both albums were million-sellers, but oddly went out of print for about a decade until Rhino resurrected them, adding two rare tracks per disc as well as a DVD of music videos and a band documentary. The resulting package is a comprehensive overview of a once--well, twice--in-a-lifetime project that, especially after Harrison's passing, will never be repeated. --Hal Horowitz

Disc one: Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1

All songs written by the Traveling Wilburys.

"Handle with Care" – 3:20
"Dirty World" – 3:30
"Rattled" – 3:00
"Last Night" – 3:48
"Not Alone Any More" – 3:24
"Congratulations" – 3:30
"Heading for the Light" – 3:37
"Margarita" – 3:15
"Tweeter and the Monkey Man" – 5:30
"End of the Line" – 3:30
"Maxine" – 2:49
Previously unreleased bonus track, with additional backing vocals by Jeff Lynne and Dhani Harrison and a guitar solo by Jeff Lynne added in 2007.
"Like a Ship" – 3:30
Previously unreleased bonus track, with additional backing vocals by Jeff Lynne and Dhani Harrison and a guitar solo by Dhani Harrison added in 2007.

Disc two: DVD

The True History of the Traveling Wilburys documentary - 24 minutes
"Handle With Care" (video)
"End of the Line" (video)
"She's My Baby" (video)
"Inside Out" (video)
"Wilbury Twist" (video)

Disc three: Traveling Wilburys Vol. 3

All songs written by the Traveling Wilburys, except where noted.

"She's My Baby" – 3:14
"Inside Out" – 3:36
"If You Belonged To Me" – 3:13
"Devil's Been Busy" – 3:18
"7 Deadly Sins" – 3:18
"Poor House" – 3:17
"Where Were You Last Night?" – 3:03
"Cool Dry Place" – 3:37
"New Blue Moon" – 3:21
"You Took My Breath Away" – 3:18
"Wilbury Twist" – 2:56
"Nobody's Child" (Cy Coben, Mel Foree) – 3:28
Bonus track, previously released on Nobody's Child: Romanian Angel Appeal.
"Runaway" (Del Shannon, Max D. Crook) – 2:30
Bonus track, originally released as the B-side to "She's My Baby" in the UK. Remixed, with a new clavioline solo replacing the original guitar/harmonica tracks recorded in 1990.

Bonus Picture of The Supergroup...

81QFoHWlqAL._SY470_.jpg

Today's work truck music...

eea2810ae7a01874f5c6a110.L.jpg

Happy Trails -- CD

QuickSilver Messenger Service

1969/1994 Capitol Records

The Definitive QMS, August 8, 2004
By C. Thwaites (USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

This review is from: Happy Trails (Audio CD)

This is a superlative example of west coast, jam innovation from the late 60s. Hard to believe this is from 1968 and pre-dates some of the best Dead, Hendrix guitar feedback exercises. The 25 min version of Bo Diddely's Who Do You Love highlights the album along with a shorter but no less startling Mona. This is a must if you want to explore the Dead around that time. John Cippolina is in full force. Check him out too on the recently released Grateful Dead. Closing of Winterland, where he leads a 20 min "Not Fade Away".
Side A

1. "Who Do You Love - Part 1" – 3:32 (McDaniel)
2. "When You Love" – 5:15 (Duncan)
3. "Where You Love" – 6:07 (Quicksilver Messenger Service / Fillmore Audience)
4. "How You Love" – 2:45 (Cipollina)
5. "Which Do You Love" – 1:49 (Freiberg)
6. "Who Do You Love - Part 2" – 5:51 (McDaniel)

Side B

1. "Mona" – 7:01 (McDaniel)
2. "Maiden of the Cancer Moon" – 2:54 (Duncan)
3. "Calvary" – 13:31 (Duncan)
4. "Happy Trails" – 1:29 (Evans)

5924841855_a1c65745e8_z.jpg

First heard of this when they were playing it on the sound system in the background before the show at the venue where we went to see Cabinet - a local(ish) bluegrass(ish) band - and finally am getting around to listening to the whole album. This is very good!

Today's work truck music....

dc0e228348a077f068fa2110.L.jpg

Collection -- CD

Tracy Chapman

2001 Elektra Records (Import)

A good album, August 22, 2003
By Christoph Walter "Felix Krull" - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Collection (Audio CD)

All the important hits from Tracy's first 5 albums are featured on "Collection". I sometimes wonder where people like Tracy have gone...people who talk about things that are uncomfortable. She does that for example in her fantastic songs "Fast Car" and "Subcity" (my favourite song on the album), not to forget the superb "Talking 'Bout a Revolution".
Moreover, her great lovesongs "Baby Can I Hold You" and "The Promise" are among the most romantic ever written.
She taught us that all that we have is our soul...Tracy Chapman has plenty of it.

"Fast Car" - [Tracy Chapman 1988] 4:58
"Subcity" - [Crossroads 1989] 5:12
"Baby Can I Hold You" - [Tracy Chapman 1988] 3:14
"The Promise" - [New Beginning 1995] 5:28
"I'm Ready" - [New Beginning 1995] 4:56
"Crossroads" - [Crossroads 1989] 4:13
"Bang Bang Bang" - [Matters Of The Heart 1992] 4:22
"Telling Stories" - [Telling Stories 2000] 3:58
"Smoke and Ashes" - [New Beginning 1995] 6:39
"Speak the Word" - [Telling Stories 2000] 4:13
"Wedding Song" - [Telling Stories 2000] 4:36
"Open Arms" - [Matters Of The Heart 1992] 4:34
"Give Me One Reason" - [New Beginning 1995] 4:29
"Talkin' 'bout a Revolution" - [Tracy Chapman 1988] 2:40
"She's Got Her Ticket" - [Tracy Chapman 1988] 3:56
"All That You Have Is Your Soul" - [Crossroads 1989] 5:15

JVCXR-0050-Large_zps6a7372e2.jpg

Kelly Blue -- XRCD

Wynton Kelly Trio & Sextet

1959/1989 Riverside/JVC Music

Originally cut for Riverside, this set mostly features the influential pianist Wynton Kelly in a trio with his fellow rhythm section mates from the Miles Davis bands, bassist Paul Chambers and drummer Jimmy Cobb. 'Kelly Blue' and 'Keep It Moving' add cornetist Nat Adderley, flutist Bobby Jaspar and the tenor of Benny Golson to the band for some variety. The CD reissue augments the program with a previously unreleased 'Do Nothin' Till You Hear from Me' and the alternate take of 'Keep It Moving.' Kelly was renowned as an accompanist, but as he shows on a set including three of his originals and four familiar standards (including 'Softly, As in a Morning Sunrise' and 'Willow Weep for Me'), he was also a strong bop-based soloist too. A fine example of his talents. [Originally released in 1959, JVC Victor reissued Kelly Blue on a Japanese import-only CD in 2002; Riverside also reissued an import-only CD in 2003.] ~ Scott Yanow, All Music Guide

1. Kelly Blue
2. Softly, As In A Morning Sunrise
3. Do Nothin' Till You Hear From Me
4. On Green Dolphin Street
5. Willow Weep For Me
6. Keep It Moving (take 4)
7. Keep It Moving (take 3)
8. Old Clothes

Wynton Kelly (piano); Bobby Jaspar (flute); Benny Golson (tenor saxophone); Nat Adderley (cornet); Paul Chambers (bass); Jimmy Cobb (drums).Original producer: Orrin Keepnews.Reissue producer: Akira Taguchi.Recorded in New York on February 19, 1959. Originally released on Riverside (1142).Digitally remastered by JVC using XRCD (extended resolution compact disc).

Today's work truck music...

bfe681b0c8a0d0b89992b110.L.jpg

Rockferry -- CD

Duffy

2008 Mercury Records

Amazon.co.uk

Rockferry, the Welsh singer's lovingly constructed debut album, has already succeeded beyond expectations, and although Duffy may not quite be the ingénue portrayed by a clever press campaign (she nearly won a local television talent show a few years back while a single credited to Aimee Duffy is still available on iTunes) she is surely the most appealing of the current flood of young soul sirens. The astonishing title track, co-written by Bernard Butler, sounded like a lost transmission that had taken decades to get through as soon as it hit radio last year. But the gently rolling soul ballad "Stepping Stone", that strapping, inescapable monster hit "Mercy", the ice cool "Serious" (the one time she really does channel the spirit of Dusty Springfield) and the wistful, elegant "Warwick Avenue" are similarly effective. Suggestions by some that Rockferry is little more than sixties pastiche are churlish. Butler's previous work with David McAlmont (featured here as a backing singer) showed his skill at writing and arranging the dramatic, while her other collaborators such as Steve Booker and the team of Jimmy Hogarth and Eg White are hardly lightweights. But despite some wonderful orchestral settings, it's Duffy's terrific voice that makes this so satisfying, even overpowering Butler's exquisitely underplayed guitar work on "Rockferry" itself. Growling the blues on "Syrup & Honey" or belting it out over his lovingly arranged wall of sound on "Distant Dreamer", she sets the tone throughout, several of her songs dealing with escape, both physical and romantic. The sound of someone singing herself to stardom, Rockferry is at times genuinely amazing. --Steve Jelbert

1. "Rockferry" Duffy, Bernard Butler 4:14
2. "Warwick Avenue" Duffy, Jimmy Hogarth, Eg White 3:46
3. "Serious" Duffy, Butler 4:10
4. "Stepping Stone" Duffy, Steve Booker 3:28
5. "Syrup & Honey" Duffy, Butler 3:18
6. "Hanging on Too Long" Duffy, Hogarth, White 3:56
7. "Mercy" Duffy, Booker 3:41
8. "Delayed Devotion" Duffy, Hogarth, White 2:57
9. "I'm Scared" Duffy, Hogarth 3:08
10. "Distant Dreamer" Duffy, Butler 5:05

I am making chocolate truffles for :romance-heart: day while listening to this...

516Wz0bOU8L.jpg

I luv track #1....74 Years Young. Rock on, Buddy!!! :handgestures-thumbup:

3bb2e03ae7a082765159c110.L.jpg

Blues -- 2 CD Set

Eric Clapton

1999 Polydor Records

Amazon.com

There's a telling subtext to this retrospective of Eric Clapton blues sides. Culled from recordings cut between 1970 (the Layla sessions) and 1980 (when Clapton cut his final Polydor album, Another Ticket), these sides finds EC exploring his beloved blues while in a fragile state of mind and body. After all, he was on heroin when he concocted Layla, and though he kicked that habit in the early '70s, he continued to test his tolerance for alcohol throughout the decade. When you think of the Clapton of the '60s, you think of the fire and ice of his playing with the Yardbirds, John Mayall, and Cream. When you think of his '70s playing, it's wearier and perhaps more reflective. (It was easy to mistake melancholic for mellow at the time.) The 35 selections included on these two discs find the temporarily deflated rock superstar leaning on the blues for support as he draws on likes of Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, and Little Walter for inspiration. Hardcore fans will appreciate previously unreleased versions of Bo Diddley's "Before You Accuse Me," a solo take on the traditional "Alberta," a 1974 cover of Willie Dixon's "Meet Me (Down at the Bottom), and a remixed live 1976 version of "Further on Up the Road" with Freddy King sitting in. Just about anyone, however, will be able to appreciate how this music reflects Clapton's strengths as a musician... and weaknesses as a man. --Steven Stolder
DISC 1- Studio

1. Before You Accuse Me (McDaniel) - 4:39
previously unreleased - Backless sessions Aug. '78

2. Mean Old World - 3:50
The Layla Sessions - 10/2/70

3. Ain't That Lovin' You (Reed) - 5:26
Crossroads - 461 Ocean sessions 4/74

4. The Sky Is Crying (James) - 3:58
There's One in Every Crowd - 9/74

5. Cryin' (Clapton) - 2:52
Crossroads - 12/78

6. Have You Ever Loved a Woman (Myles) - 6:51