• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Happy Sunday everyone.... :banana-dance:

41WcmAK4lKL._SS500_.jpg

Downright Upright -- CD

Brian Bromberg

2007 Artistry Records

Amazon.com

Long before the coining of "smooth jazz," catchy numbers like Herbie Hancock's "Cantaloupe Island," Joe Zawinul's "Mercy Mercy Mercy," and the Les McCann-Eddie Harris tune "Cold Duck Soup" enticed pop fans to cross over, however casually or tentatively, into jazz. Now, on veteran bassist Brian Bromberg's Downright Upright, those three songs are vehicles for name-brand smooth jazz players including saxophonists Kirk Whalum, Boney James and Gary Meek, keyboardists George Duke and Jeff Lorber, guitarist Lee Ritenour and trumpeter Rick Braun to do a little crossing back of sorts to show off their mainstream chops. Nobody will confuse the facility of their straightahead solos with real depth, however much emotion they pour into them. But it's an agreeable excursion for all concerned, with Bromberg making the most of his opportunities to lay down melodic lines. Even after the cover versions give way to originals in the same vein, the music stays lively. --Lloyd Sachs

Track listing

1. Cantaloupe Island
2. Mercy Mercy Mercy
3. Cold Duck Time
4. Sunday Mornin'
5. Hacha Cha Cha, The
6. Chameleon
7. Serengeti Walk
8. Leisure Suit
9. Slow Burn
10. Shag Carpet

99866230a8a0261dd09ff010.L.jpg

Cloud Nine -- CD

George Harrison

1987 Capitol Records

Cloud Nine, June 16, 2011
By Cole Schaffner "Rockband Freak ((*J*))" - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Cloud Nine (Audio CD)

This is one of my favorite Harrison albums! Great vocals and instrumentals. also it has a great crew of musicians working on it (Eric Clapton, Jeff Lynne, Elton John, Ringo starr and more). Harrison really out played many of his 70's work. this record is a gem and i highly recommend.

All songs by George Harrison, except where noted.

"Cloud 9" – 3:15
"That's What It Takes" (George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Gary Wright) – 3:59
"Fish on the Sand" – 3:22
"Just for Today" – 4:06
"This Is Love" (George Harrison, Jeff Lynne) – 3:48
"When We Was Fab" (George Harrison, Jeff Lynne) – 3:57
A celebration of The Beatles and the 1960s.
"Devil's Radio" – 3:52
Masters of Reality recorded their version of the song for "Songs from the Material World: a Tribute to George Harrison" album
"Someplace Else" – 3:51
An earlier version of this song appeared in the 1986 film Shanghai Surprise.
"Wreck of the Hesperus" – 3:31
"Breath Away from Heaven" – 3:36
An earlier version of this song appeared in the 1986 film Shanghai Surprise.
"Got My Mind Set on You" (Rudy Clark) – 3:52

4dec793509a0ab93869a1110.L.jpg

Dave Grusin and the NY-LA Dream Band -- CD

1990 GRP Records

A Jazz Classic, July 4, 2002
By Kenneth G. Hamilton (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dave Grusin & The NY-LA Dream Band (Audio CD)

This is a "must have" item for the complete jazz collector. I have seen the video version, but do not have a copy. Thus, my question is: when are we going to see a DVD version of this memorable Tokyo concert? Even though I have the audio CD, I would definitely buy a video edition on DVD. GRP, get on it!

Track Listing
1. Shuffle City
2. Count Down
3. Serengeti Walk (Slippin' Out the Back Door)
4. What Matters Most
5. Number 8
6. Three Days of the Condor
7. Summer Sketches '82

-----
Personnel includes: Dave Grusin (acoustic & Fender Rhodes pianos, synthesizer); George Young (soprano, alto & tenor saxophones, piccolo, flute); Tiger Okoshi (trumpet, flugelhorn); Don Gruisin (electric & Fender Rhodes pianos, Clavinet, synthesizer); Lee Ritenhour (acoustic & electric guitars; Eric Gale (electric guitar); Anthony Jackson (contrabass guitar, electric bass); Steve Gadd (drums); Rubens Bassini (percussion); The Dream Orchestra, THe NHK Strings, The Tokyo Brass Ensemble.
Recorded live at the Budokan, Tokyo, Japan.

564471a88da0d8e6d6f4d110.L.jpg

Keep This Love Alive -- CD

Tom Scott

1991 GRP Records (Import - Austria)

Incredible Music August 15, 2005
By M. Pentico
Format:Audio CD

I absolutley love this CD, as a matter of fact I am listening to it right now. The first 5 tracks are killer, with three vocal tracks including two with Bill Champlin (awesome voice). They more than make up for the remainder of the CD which does drag a little, but the sounds are still good carried by Only a Heartbeat away. The jazz is good and Tom Scott is a great sax player. I bought this on tape right when it came out and was really glad when I could get it on CD. This is not to be missed whether you are a jazz sax fan or a Bill Champlin fan. Great collection to any CD collection.

Track Listing
1. If You're Not the One for Me
2. Miz Thang
3. Keep This Love Alive
4. Kilimanjaro
5. Reason for the Rain
6. Givin' Our Best
7. Only a Heartbeat Away
8. You Mean Everything (To Me)
9. Whenever You Dream of Me

ba7f419328a08e8ba12dd110.L.jpg

Jimmy & Wes - The Dynamic Duo -- Remastered 20-bit CD

Jimmy Smith & Wes Montgomery

1966/1997 Verve Master Edition

The ultradynamic duo!, July 16, 2000
By Jeffrey Harris (South San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Jimmy & Wes: Dynamic Duo (Audio CD)

It's amazing what can happen when you put two master musicians like Jimmy Smith and Wes Montgomery in the same room, as this classic album documents. Supported by players like drummer Grady Tate, Clark Terry, and Ray Barretto, and arranger Oliver Nelson, Jimmy & Wes go to town on "The Dynamic Duo". "James & Wes", "Night Train", and the cool spin they put on "Baby, It's Cold Outside" make this album a joy to listen again and again. The alternate take of "Road Song" at the end is the cream on the cake, and in my opinion is even better than the originally issued take. One of the first releases in Verve's excellent Master Edition series, the packaging and remastered sound make this the definitive issue of this jazz classic and one of my all time favorites.

"Down by the Riverside" (Traditional) - 10:02
"Night Train" (Jimmy Forrest, Lewis Simpkins, Oscar Washington) - 6:48
"James and Wes" (Jimmy Smith) - 8:13
"13 (Death March)" (Gary McFarland) - 5:22
"Baby, It's Cold Outside" (Frank Loesser) - 6:05
"O.G.D. (aka Road Song)" (Wes Montgomery) - 5:13

61uNxG1c-VL.jpg

Gerry Mulligan Meets Johnny Hodges

Gerry Mulligan - Johnny Hodges

1961/2003 Verve Records

Gerry Mulligan's 1959 studio date with Johnny Hodges is one of the most satisfying sessions of his various meetings with different saxophonists for Verve, yet it was inexplicably the last to be made available on CD. With a hand-picked rhythm section consisting of pianist Claude Williamson, bassist Buddy Clark, and drummer Mel Lewis, and three originals contributed by each of the two leaders, everything gels nicely, though several tracks took more than three takes (in spite of liner note writer Nat Hentoff's assertions) to reach their final form. Mulligan contributed the gorgeous ballad "What's the Rush" (where he sat back to enjoy Hodges' solo and never plays his own horn), the easygoing swinger "Bunny," and the brisk cooker "18 Carrots (For Rabbit)," the latter which its composer would revisit with his Concert Jazz Band. The veteran alto saxophonist contributed the low-key ballad "Shady Side," the sassy blues "Back Beat" (later re-recorded by Hodges during a still unreleased 1960 studio meeting with Ben Webster), and "What It's All About," another potent blues. Throughout the date, the two saxophonists blend beautifully and complement one another's efforts, even though this was their only opportunity to record together in the studio. Sadly, no alternate takes or unissued numbers (at least two of which exist) have been added to this long anticipated reissue. ~ Ken Dryden

Track Listing
1. Bunny
2. What's the Rush
3. Black Beat
4. What It's All About
5. 18 Carrots (For Rabbit)
6. Shady Side

Personnel: Gerry Mulligan (baritone saxophone); Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone); Claude Williamson (piano); Buddy Clark (bass); Mel Lewis (drums).Recorded at United Recorders, Hollywood, California on November 17, 1959

614qPRwFCjL.jpg

Getz Meets Mulligan In HI-Fi -- Remastered CD

Stan Getz - Gerry Mulligan

1957/1991 Verve Records

Our Delight July 31, 2006
By Jazzcat
Format:Audio CD
Jazz is our delight brother cats. Life is so boring sometimes that you and I, my jazz friends, deserve to take a pause and enjoy the marvel of music to lift us up. You can't find a more delightful listening experience than this encounter between Getz and Jeru. It is fantastic believe me. This record is something that when I turn back to it, it makes me discover again why I love jazz. It has been one of the first jazz albums I did buy, something like 15 years ago ... it's still refreshing after all these years. It is light, funny, swinging, splendid ... it is simply one of the best examples of Jazz you can find out there. Jazz the fifties way of course, not that thing that today some people call jazz that is unbelievably boring. This is Jazz. And you can't stop to stomp your feet. You have a fantastic rhythmn section, Stan Levey and Ray Brown, MEN, so the swing is garanteed =)))))). Lou Levey played the piano (one of the best in the west coast movement). Than you have a couple of the best soloists that EVER graced the history of Jazz music, Stan Getz and Gerry Mulligan (THE man who plays the bari, nothing more to add here). The program begins with the splendid "Let's fall in love" and it's all there. They're all swingers except for the wonderful tune "A ballad" which is, of course, a ballad. You evena have a Charlie Parker number, Scrapple. The joy of swing, a music that these guys plays perfectly, light as butterflies, deep as oceans. THEY'RE TRUE MASTER!!! Every tune is a master interpretations. Than Stan and Jeru change horns and demonstrate to us (if necessary) how good thay could play with another type of instrument. It is simply a perfect album, jazzcats, if you don't own it... YOU SHOULD. YOU SHOULD.

Track Listing
1. Let's Fall in Love
2. Anything Goes
3. Too Close for Comfort
4. That Old Feeling
5. This Can't Be Love
6. A Ballad
7. Scrapple from the Apple - (bonus track)
8. I Didn't Know What Time It Was - (bonus track)

Personnel: Gerry Mulligan (tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone); Stan Getz (tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone); Lou Levy (piano); Stan Levey (drums).Audio Remasterer: Andrew Nicholas.Liner Note Authors: Norman Granz; Bob Blumenthal.Recording information: 10/10/1957/10/12/1957.Editor: Andrew Nicholas.

Happy Monday everyone.... :banana-rock:

51u5ensH5CL._SS500_.jpg

Highwayman -- CD

Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash & Kris Kristofferson

1985 Columbia Records

Amazon.com

The myth of the American West--lawless lands, resolute heroes--takes on a grave, elegiac quality on this first, and best, collaboration from Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, and Kris Kristofferson. There's little bravado here, just a sense of ticking time, of frontiers lost, cowboys singing their last songs. In the end, Highwayman works because it fuses mythic, serious material with the artists' own legendary personas and well-aged voices. Lesser lights would be lucky to muddle through Jimmy Webb's epic title track; these four cagey desperados make every fantastic image believable. If Chips Moman surrounds them with less than subtle layers of guitars, keyboards, and drums, he does update vintage progressive country in a suitably cosmic but rugged fashion. Romantic legends and production values notwithstanding, it's the tough, wise singing here that's the real draw. --Roy Kasten

1. Highwayman - The Highwaymen, Webb, Jimmy
2. The Last Cowboy Song - The Highwaymen, Bruce, Ed
3. Jim, I Wore a Tie Today - The Highwaymen, Walker, Cindy
4. Big River - The Highwaymen, Cash, Johnny
5. Committed to Parkview - The Highwaymen, Cash, Johnny
6. Desperados Waiting for a Train - The Highwaymen, Clark, Guy
7. Deportee (Plane Wreck at Los Gatos) - The Highwaymen, Guthrie, Woody
8. Welfare Line - The Highwaymen, Kennerley, Paul
9. Against the Wind - The Highwaymen, Seger, Bob
10. The Twentieth Century Is Almost Over - The Highwaymen

71ECew0GDAL.jpg

Big Wide Grin -- CD

Keb' Mo'

2001 OKeh/Sony Wonder

With baby boomers and many members of Generation X having grown up with rock & roll as their music of choice, it stands to reason the idea of a "children's album" needs to be redefined. Contemporary blues guitarist Keb' Mo' keeps this concept at the forefront of BIG WIDE GRIN, a collection of songs suitable for sharing with the whole family as opposed to being tailored solely for the little ones.Blessed with a rich singing voice, fleet fingers, and a laid-back delivery, Mo' delivers clever arrangements of R&B favorites by The O'Jays (a twangy "Love Train"), Sly & The Family Stone (a casually swinging "Family Affair"), and Bill Withers (a loping "Grandma's Hands"). In keeping with the familial theme, the Compton native addresses topics including adoption (the heartfelt Brenda Russell duet "I Am Your Mother Too"), love for a step-parent ("Color Him Father"), and thankfulness for a blessed life (a Bonnie Raitt-like "Infinite Eyes"). Goosing along this occasionally weighty collection are a few instances of Keb' Mo' loosening up, particularly on a jumping version of Slim Gaillard's jive classic "The Flat Foot Floogie" and a playful duet with son Kevin Jr. on Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi."

Track Listing
1. Everybody Be Yoself
2. Love Train
3. Don't Say No
4. Infinite Eyes
5. Grandma's Hands
6. Color Him Father
7. Family Affair
8. Flat Fleet Floogie, The
9. I Am Your Mother Too
10. Big Yellow Taxi
11. Isn't She Lovely
12. America the Beautiful

Personnel includes: Keb' Mo' (vocals, guitar, banjo); Brenda Russell, Barbara Morrison (vocals); Leo Nocentelli (guitar); Greg Leisz (pedal steel guitar, mandola); Clayton Gibb (banjo); Gerald Albright (saxophone); Jeff Young (piano, organ); "Ready" Freddie Washington (bass); Sergio Gonzalez, Laval Belle (drums); Luis Conte (percussion); The Family, Alex Brown, Bobette Harrison-Jamison, Randy Phillips (background vocals).Recorded at Groove Masters Studio and Sony Studios, Santa Monica, California; A Cut Above Studio, Ventura, California; House Of Blues Studio, Encino, California.BIG WIDE GRIN was nominated for the 2002 Grammy Award for Best Musical Album For Children.

JVCXR7955-Large_zps8ccaea0d.jpg

Audiophile Selections -- 20-Bit K2 XRCD2

Don Williams

2011 Premium/JVC Japan

Don Williams is a country singer whose straightforward vocals, soft tones, and imposing build earned him the nickname 'The Gentle Giant' of country music. Here is a compilation of some of his greatest hits including I'm Just A Country Boy, You're My Best Friend, Till The Rivers All Run Dry, Turn Out The Lights (And Love Me Tonight) and many more. Released on the high-resolution audiophile format known as XRCD, this CD is playable on all CD players.

1. I'm Just A Country Boy
2. Where Are You
3. When I'm With You
4. All I'm Missing Is You
5. You're My Best Friend
6. Till The Rivers All Run Dry
7. I'm Getting Good At Missing You
8. Turn Out The Lights (And Love Me Tonight)
9. Some Broken Hearts Never Mend
10. Don't You Think It's Time
11. My Woman's Love
12. Goodbye Isn't Really Good At All
13. It Must Be Love

51hAfyjkUAL._SS500_.jpg

Blue Country Heart -- CD

Jorma Kaukonen

2002 Columbia Records

Amazon.com

Singer and guitarist extraordinaire Jorma Kaukonen was a devoted aficionado of early-20th-century rural music long before he cofounded Jefferson Airplane in 1965 and Hot Tuna some years later. On his new solo album, Kaukonen has found an imaginative setting to remind listeners how a fusion of styles and influences from both black and white musicians defined American country music in its formative decades. Included here are gems, both familiar and obscure, by the likes of Jimmie Rodgers, the Delmore Brothers, Jimmie Davis, Cliff Carlisle, and other country musicians who were clearly inspired by their blues cousins. Backed by the Nashville All-Stars, a supersonic string band comprising bluegrass masters Sam Bush (mandolin), Jerry Douglas (Dobro), Béla Fleck (banjo), and Byron House (stand-up bass), all playing on vintage 1920s and '30s acoustic instruments, Kaukonen revives and vividly reinterprets these blues-drenched country classics for a new generation of listeners. --Bob Allen

"Blue Railroad Train" (Lionel Alton Delmore, Rabon Delmore) – 3:44
"Just Because" (Hubert A. Nelson, James D. Touchstone) – 4:16
"Blues Stay Away from Me" (L. Delmore, R. Delmore, Henry Glover, Wayne Raney) – 3:28
"Red River Blues" (Jimmie Davis) – 3:25
"Bread Line Blues" (Bernard Slim Smith) – 4:38
"Waiting for a Train" (Jimmie Rodgers) – 3:26
"Those Gambler's Blues" (Rodgers) – 3:07
"Tom Cat Blues" (Jelly Roll Morton) – 3:05
"Big River Blues" (L. Delmore) – 3:01
"Prohibition Blues" (Clayton McMichen) – 4:13
"I'm Free from the Chain Gang Now" (Lou Herscher, Saul Klein) – 3:28
"You and My Old Guitar" (Rodgers, Elsie McWilliams) – 2:45
"What are They Doing in Heaven Today?" (Traditional) – 3:20

Jorma Kaukonen - guitar, vocals
Sam Bush – mandolin, fiddle, background vocals
Jerry Douglas – dobro, weissenborn
Byron House – bass, background vocals
Béla Fleck – banjo on "Just Because" and "Bread Line Blues"

Gotta be in the right mood to listen to this one, IMHO - but wow, I'm in the mood now, and it's sensational (again).

71cStEMpJdL._SL1200_.jpg

51XIEmWAr6L.jpg

Best Audiophile Voices II -- Remastered 24bit CD

Various Female Artists

2003 Premium Records

Premium Records proudly presents second volume in celebration of Women's vocals.
A deeper and more mature repertoire of evocative songs, sets the prevailing mood through sultry vocals and silky melodies.
With this new album ,we share stories of passion, pain, privacy in sonically pristine recording using 24 Bit remastering to enhance your aural palette.

Track Listing
1. Desperado - Emi Fujita
2. Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy
3. Better Be Home Soon - Andrea Zonn
4. I Left My Heart In San Francisco - Jean Frye Sidwell
5. Fly Away - Corrine May
6. The Ole Devil Called Love - Etta Jones
7. Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Sophia Petersson
8. Both Sides Now - Jeanette Lindstrom/Steve Dobrogosz
9. Stay - Alison Krauss
10. My Foolish Heart - Salena Jones
11. In a Sentimental Mood - Jacqui Dankworth
12. When I Fall In Love - Claire Martin

Today's work truck music...

61Yv3tHqZ5L.jpg

Pretzel Logic -- Remastered CD

Steely Dan

1974/1999 ABC/MCA Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Pretzel Logic marked a transition for Steely Dan from a studio-bound rock band producing hits such as "Reeling in the Years" and "Do It Again" to a looser constellation of studio musicians under the direction of songwriters Walter Becker and Donald Fagen. That later version of Steely Dan would paint its masterpiece with Aja. Pretzel Logic is much more playful than that, and also jazzier than the albums that came before. The jazz intentions are made perfectly clear on "Parker's Band," a swinging tribute to bebop titan Charlie Parker, and a crafty cover of Duke Ellington's "East St. Louis Toodle-oo." The lyrics displayed their own twisted logic, presenting a tumble of images in search of a unifying principle that most often remained elusive. Steely Dan was that rare act that could work such purposeful obscurity to its advantage: "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" was a top-five hit even though nobody had a clue as to what it was about. Or, perhaps, everybody had a clue, but nobody could agree. --John Milward

Side 1

"Rikki Don't Lose That Number" – 4:30
"Night by Night" – 3:36
"Any Major Dude Will Tell You" – 3:05
"Barrytown" – 3:17
"East St. Louis Toodle-Oo" (Duke Ellington, Bubber Miley) – 2:45

Side 2

"Parker's Band" – 2:36
"Through with Buzz" – 1:30
"Pretzel Logic" – 4:28
"With a Gun" – 2:15
"Charlie Freak" – 2:41
"Monkey in Your Soul" – 2:31

phox_1500x1500_zpsa21d177f.jpg

I posted about this band after seeing them on CBS This Morning, got their CD tonight and am loving it. Kind've an interesting mix of Edie Brickell and New Bohemians and maybe someone else. The band plays much better here (not surprising, the CBS show is always live and I'm pretty sure, recorded at OMG:30 in the morning, just two songs, that's hard for a live band).
The female vocalist writes the music and lyrics, a VERY quirky melodic sense but I'm digging it. The band does great harmonies, almost all falsetto (they're all guys) from the CBS broadcast.
Will post more, my laptop's battery is dying fast...

Bats, I'm interested in hearing your opinion of this!

EDIT: Yay, 16% battery power! I noticed on their CBS broadcast they really crank up the reverb, same thing on their CD, but it fits their music. Some of the loud sections of the album, like the final part of track 6, distort a bit, boo! I also thought everyone in the band was multi-instrumental, based on one of their EweTube videos, but the album credits others for the clarinet, trumpet, tuba, and "flugelbone" (???) They were just miming on the video. I wish the CD included printed lyrics, can't really understand her a lot of the time and have no idea of the quality of the songs.
Still, really glad I got this one, excellent!

Today's work truck music....

71uyP7GTtrL.jpg

Pete Fountain's New Orleans -- CD

Pete Fountain

1959/1993 Coral/MCA Records

This album is an excellent showcase for Pete Fountain in his early days. The clarinetist (who is the only horn in a quartet with pianist Stan Wrightsman, bassist Morty Corb, and drummer Jack Sperling) sounds typically enthusiastic on the Dixieland warhorses, turning "The Saints" into a march and coming up with fresh things to say on such songs as "Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans," "Basin Street Blues," and "Tin Roof Blues." ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. While We Danced at the Mardi Gras
2. A Closer Walk With Thee
3. When the Saints Come Marching In March
4. When It's Sleepy Time Down South
5. Ol' Man River
6. Cotton Fields
7. Sweethearts on Parade
8. Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans?
9. Basin Street Blues
10. Lazy River
11. Way Down Yonder in New Orleans
12. Tin Roof Blues

81AOid0KpFL_zps75cdb328.jpg

Wallflower -- Deluxe Edition CD

Diana Krall

2015 Verve Records

Diana Krall paid tribute to her father on Glad Rag Doll, the 2012 album sourced from his collection of 78-rpm records, and, in a sense, its 2015 successor Wallflower is a companion record of sorts, finding the singer revisiting songs from her childhood. Like many kids of the 20th century, she grew up listening to the radio, which meant she was weaned on the soft rock superhits of the '70s -- songs that earned sniffy condescension at the time but nevertheless have turned into modern standards due to their continual presence in pop culture (and arguably were treated that way at the time, seeing cover after cover by middlebrow pop singers). Krall does not limit herself to the songbook of Gilbert O'Sullivan, Jim Croce, the Carpenters, Elton John, and the Eagles, choosing to expand her definition of soft rock to include a previously unrecorded Paul McCartney song called "If I Take You Home Tonight" (a leftover from his standards album Kisses on the Bottom), Bob Dylan's "Wallflower," Chantal Kreviazuk's "Feels Like Home," and Neil Finn's "Don't Dream It's Over," a song from 1986 that has been covered frequently in the three decades since. "Don't Dream It's Over" slides into this collection easily, as it's as malleable and timeless as "California Dreamin'," "Superstar," "Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word," or "Operator (That's Not the Way It Feels)," songs that are identified with specific artists but are often covered successfully. Krall's renditions rank among those successes because she's understated, never fussing with the melodies but allowing her arrangements to slink by in a deliberate blend of sparseness and sophistication. It's an aesthetic that helps transform the Eagles' "I Can't Tell You Why" and 10cc's "I'm Not in Love," singles that are as successful as much for their production as their song, into elegant torch songs, yet it doesn't do much for Kreviazuk's pedestrian "Feels Like Home," nor does it lend itself to the loping country of "Wallflower," which may provide the name for this album but feels like an uninvited guest among these majestically melodic middle-of-the-road standards. These stumbles are slight and, tellingly, they put into context Krall's achievement with Wallflower: by singing these songs as sweet and straight as the dusty old standards on Glad Rag Doll or the bossa nova on 2009's Quiet Nights, she demonstrates how enduring these once-dismissed soft rock tunes really are. by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Track List:
1. California Dreamin'
2. Desperado
3. Superstar
4. Alone Again (Naturally)
5. Wallflower [feat. Blake Mills]
6. If I Take You Home Tonight
7. I Can't Tell You Why
8. Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word
9. Operator (That's Not The Way It Feels)
10. I'm Not In Love
11. Feels Like Home
12. Don't Dream It's Over
13. In My Life *
14. Yeh Yeh [feat. Georgie Fame] *
15. Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word (Live 2014) *
16. Wallflower (Live 2014) *

* Amazon Deluxe Exclusive

Today's work truck music...

61O-Ep4pFgL._SS500_.jpg

Abandoned Luncheonette -- CD

Daryl Hall & John Oates

1973 Atlantic Records

Best early Hall & Oates, September 11, 2000
By David Hugaert (Honolulu, HI United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Abandoned Luncheonette (Audio CD)

"Abandoned Luncheonette" features the kind of music at which Daryl & John are most adept-Philly Soul. All the songs here are excellent, with the cream of the crop being "When The Morning Comes", "Las Vegas Turnaround", "I'm Just A Kid (Don't Make Me Feel Like A Man)", the title track, "Lady Rain" and "Laughing Boy". "Everytime I Look At You" is the most soulful track on this CD, which has a "hillbilly" banjo and violin-laden instrumental at the end. This is probably as close to country that H & O ever got! This has to be the best CD in their entire catalog. Oh, and "Abandoned Luncheonette" also contains their first hit single, "She's Gone", which appeared on the Billboard charts on two separate occasions. If you are a fan of soul and/or pop music, you can't go wrong here. Please buy this CD!

"When The Morning Comes" (Daryl Hall) – 3:12
"Had I Known You Better Then" (John Oates) – 3:22
"Las Vegas Turnaround (The Stewardess Song)" (Oates) – 2:57
"She's Gone" (Hall, Oates) – 5:15
"I'm Just A Kid (Don't Make Me Feel Like A Man)" (Oates) – 3:20
"Abandoned Luncheonette" (Hall) – 3:55
"Lady Rain" (Hall, Oates) – 4:26
"Laughing Boy" (Hall) – 3:20
"Everytime I Look At You" (Hall) – 7:04

518P0F1DBGL.jpg

Been wearing this one out. What a great album.

Is it wrong to like Temple of the Dog better than Pearl Jam or Soundgarden?? :think:

Back