• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

PaulyT said:
Botch - so that's a good album then?

Yes. It's really nicely recorded, too, good sounding album. Anxious to hear your thoughts on it when you give it a listen. :music-listening:

9328024128a02bc3ac3c6010.L.jpg

Live At The Regal -- CD

B.B. King

1965/1990 ABC/MCA Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Heralded as one of the greatest live blues albums ever recorded, this set catches the singer-guitarist as his star was in ascent: in 1964 playing Chicago's answer to Harlem's Apollo Theater--the Regal. King's performance is visceral. He sings so hard that gravel flies even in his clearest high notes. And his trademark single-note guitar lines are sharp and steely, matching his voice with trembling vigor. He offers early hits like "How Blue Can You Get," "Worry, Worry," and "You Upset Me Baby" to what's essentially his adopted hometown crowd (by his own account, King had already played the theater hundreds of times). They give him a hero's welcome. In fact, the audience's screaming enthusiasm is distracting. But rarely has a love-fest of this magnitude between a performer and fans been documented. --Ted Drozdowski

"Every Day I Have the Blues" (Memphis Slim) - 2:38
"Sweet Little Angel" (Riley King, Jules Taub) - 4:12
"It's My Own Fault" (King, Taub) - 3:29
"How Blue Can You Get?" (Leonard Feather) - 3:44
"Please Love Me" (King, Taub) - 3:01
"You Upset Me Baby" (King, Taub) - 2:22
"Worry, Worry" (Maxwell Davis, Taub) - 6:24
"Woke Up This Morning (My Baby's Gone)" (King, Taub) - 1:45
"You Done Lost Your Good Thing Now" (Joe Josea, King) - 4:16
"Help the Poor" (Charlie Singleton) - 2:58

61D2QK90qyL._SS500_.jpg

Count Basie Swings - Joe Williams Sings -- CD

Count Basie Orchestra with Joe Williams

1956/1993 CLEF/Verve Records

"I Love The Blues Because It's So Natural. It's Life, Man.", September 17, 2000
By Anthony G Pizza "trivialtony" (FL) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Count Basie Swings, Joe Williams Sings (Audio CD)

That quote, from Joe Williams as part of the liner notes for this remarkable re-issue, emphasizes that blues is not so much a rudimentary style as an approach to music and, especially, lyrics. It's a lesson Basie, Williams, Ray Charles, B.B. King, Bobby Bland, and a generation's country, R&B, and blues performers taught the rock and roll revolution that so quickly followed and incorporated them.

"Basie Swings - Williams Sings" joins jazz vocal panache to Basie's rollicking big-band punch. Williams sings circles around the melodies of "The Comeback," (with its stick-and-move sax punctuation) Joe Turner's "Roll 'Em Pete," (with Williams trilling "Ohwellohwellohwell..." as if he discovered a new instrument) and the huge R&B hit, "Everyday I Have The Blues" (later a B.B. King theme song). Credit Frank Foster's inventive, galloping arrangements (brought to the fore by Phil Schaap's excellent remastering) for bringing fire and funk to what otherwise would've been a swing-era holdover. On the ballad side, "In the Evening" brings flutes and clarinets into a sleepy blues tune that recalls Bland's later, "If You Could Read My Mind."

This LP and its long-running success deservedly expanded and extended Basie and Williams' careers, stretching across pop culture from Basie's three LPs with Frank Sinatra (and a band still performing Foster's arrangements today) to Williams' casting on the "Cosby Show." Most importantly, "Basie Swings - Williams Sings" redefined big band music for the post-rock and roll era, making it essential to jazz, blues, and early rock and roll fans all.

"Every Day I Have the Blues" (Memphis Slim) – 5:29
"The Come Back" (Charles Frazier) – 5:28
"Alright, Okay, You Win" (Mayme Watts, Sidney Wyche) – 3:05
"In the Evening (When the Sun Goes Down)" (Leroy Carr, Don Raye) – 3:38
"Roll 'Em Pete" (Pete Johnson, Big Joe Turner) – 3:12
"Teach Me Tonight" (Sammy Cahn, Gene DePaul) – 3:04
"My Baby Upsets Me" (Joe Williams) – 2:58
"Please Send Me Someone to Love" (Percy Mayfield) – 3:33
"Ev'ry Day" (Sammy Fain, Irving Kahal) – 3:48
"As Long as I Love You" (Bernie Moten, Henri Woode) – 3:06
"Stop! Don't!" (George Ronald Brown) – 2:36
"Too Close for Comfort" (Jerry Bock, Larry Holofcener, George David Weiss) – 2:53

Happy Sunday everyone.... :banana-dance:

_57_zpsac7cd4d8.jpg

'S Wonderful -- SACD

Bill Charlap Trio

1998/2014 Venus Records (Import Japan)

Breakthrough Album from Jazz Pianist Bill Charlap and His Trio!

Before the talented pianist Bill Charlap went "major" with the Blue Note label, he was discovered by Venus Records and the Japanese audience. This "debut" album of Charlap, released in 1999, was an enormous hit and became an instant classic.

Deeply rooted in the tradition of jazz and with tremendous knowledge and respect for the American songbook, Charlap's piano playing is lyrical, fantastic and powerful. This album may not dazzle you with apparent "newness," but the beauty of melody, sound, and deep swing will move you and make you smile. The great New York rhythm section, bassist Peter Washington and drummer Kenny Washington, contributes with great performances as well.

"Best known for his work with Gerry Mulligan and later Phil Woods during the 1990s, pianist Bill Charlap was clearly developing rapidly on his own record dates. Beginning with a crisp rendition of "Time After Time," Charlap, with a formidable rhythm section of bassist Peter Washington and drummer Kenny Washington, explores a nice mix of standards and jazz classics...The sound on this studio date is so intimate that it sounds as if the listener is sitting right next to the piano." -Ken Dryden, allmusic.com

Features:
• Single Layer Stereo SACD

Musicians:
Bill Charlap, piano
Peter Washington, bass
Kenny Washington, drums

Selections:
1. Time After Time
2. My Shining Hour
3. The Blue Room
4. Boy, What Love Has Done To Me
5. Isfahan
6. Lover
7. Something To Live For
8. 'S Wonderful
9. Summer Serenade
10. Only The Lonely

71a162e89da0f533bf2d2110.L.jpg

Straight Shooter -- CD

Bad Company

1974 Swan Song Records

Supergroup hits its stride, November 7, 2001
By Mons "Mons" (Norrpan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Straight Shooter (Audio CD)

Released in 1974, Straightshooter is regarded by many as being Bad Company's strongest album. It has the bluesy feel of its predecessor (Bad Co) but has the band turning their amps up 11 and rocking out the strongest set of songs of the band's career. Do not forget that Bad Co was a supergroup with 2 guys out of Free (Rodgers and Kirke), the bass player from King Crimson (Boz Burrell) and Mott the Hoople's guitarist (Mick Ralphs). They should have been huge, of course, but suffered from having to play second fiddle to Swan Song stablemates Led Zeppelin. The songs were great, their sound: a sort of supercharged, sexy blues-rock without the pretention of Led Zep. What let them down perhaps was their lyrics, some of which make Spinal Tap look like Leonard Cohen, but if you can take that - and I can - this album is a great listen from beginning to end. Bad Company were also one of the few hard rock bands that wrote great ballads (Anna), though it was Straightshooter's high-octane rockers like Good Lovin' Gone Bad, Feel Like Making Love and Shooting Star that helped secure them a place in rock history. Bad Company were a good, tight band, but I would recommend anyone to listen to them purely to hear Paul Rodgers' masterful rock vocals. New to Bad Company? Get this one first, and then Bad Co.

Side one

"Good Lovin' Gone Bad" (Mick Ralphs) – 3:35
"Feel Like Makin' Love" (Paul Rodgers, Ralphs) – 5:12
"Weep No More" (Simon Kirke) – 3:59
"Shooting Star" (Rodgers) – 6:16

Side two

"Deal With the Preacher" (Rodgers, Ralphs) – 5:01
"Wild Fire Woman" (Rodgers, Ralphs) – 4:32
"Anna" (Kirke) – 3:41
"Call on Me" (Rodgers) – 6:03

JVCXR7955-Large_zps8ccaea0d.jpg

Audiophile Selections -- 20-Bit K2 XRCD2

Don Williams

2011 Premium/JVC Japan

Don Williams is a country singer whose straightforward vocals, soft tones, and imposing build earned him the nickname 'The Gentle Giant' of country music. Here is a compilation of some of his greatest hits including I'm Just A Country Boy, You're My Best Friend, Till The Rivers All Run Dry, Turn Out The Lights (And Love Me Tonight) and many more. Released on the high-resolution audiophile format known as XRCD, this CD is playable on all CD players.

1. I'm Just A Country Boy
2. Where Are You
3. When I'm With You
4. All I'm Missing Is You
5. You're My Best Friend
6. Till The Rivers All Run Dry
7. I'm Getting Good At Missing You
8. Turn Out The Lights (And Love Me Tonight)
9. Some Broken Hearts Never Mend
10. Don't You Think It's Time
11. My Woman's Love
12. Goodbye Isn't Really Good At All
13. It Must Be Love

51VxQb5YsML._SS500_.jpg

Astral Weeks -- CD

Van Morrison

1968/1990 Warner Bros. Records

Never mind that Van Morrison is one of the most indelible songwriters of the 20th century--take each album on its own terms. On 1968's seminal Astral Weeks, a twentysomething Van Morrison can be found belting his gospelly, bluesy vocals in just as fine a form as he would be 20 years hence. In the sociopolitical context of the times, the album cried out about such ubiquitous '60s themes as cultural oppression and social upheaval. But it is Morrison's vocal dexterity and passion that maintains such timeless appeal. Take tracks like "Madame George" or "Cyprus Avenue" and you'll find such beautiful mourning, it'll be clear why modern songwriter Sinéad O'Connor once publicly exclaimed: "Van Morrison should be friggin' canonized." --Nick Heil

All songs written by Van Morrison

Side one

1. "Astral Weeks" – 7:06
2. "Beside You" – 5:16
3. "Sweet Thing" – 4:25
4. "Cyprus Avenue" – 7:00

Side two

1. "The Way Young Lovers Do" – 3:18
2. "Madame George" – 9:45
3. "Ballerina" – 7:03
4. "Slim Slow Slider" – 3:17

41RXQ5KSYQL_zps2f4274a4.jpg

Collection -- CD

Dr. Hook

1996 EMI Records Australia (Import)

This 40-song assortment will definitely appease those who want a hefty one-stop of Dr. Hook's best material, but it also makes for a worthy summation of the band's career. All but the last two of Dr. Hook's Top 40 singles appear here, led by "Sylvia's Mother," "The Cover of the Rolling Stone," and "Only Sixteen," while excluding later efforts like "Girls Can Get It" and "Baby Makes Her Blue Jeans Talk." All of their second-bests are also present, including fan favorites such as "More Like the Movies," "The Radio," "Jungle to the Zoo," and "On the Way to the Bottom." Their absurd lean toward rock & roll throughout the '70s is well-covered in songs like "I Got Stoned and I Missed It," "Bad Eye Bill," "You Make My Pants Want to Get Up And Dance," "Walk Right In," and "Wups," while their mawkish brand of sugary-sweet love songs which they're known for surfaces in tracks such as "I Gave Her Comfort," "She's Not There," and "If Not You," as well as in the hits "A Little Bit More" and "Sexy Eyes." Since most of Dr. Hook's albums brandished only a couple of hits each, Collection makes for one of the best routes to gather all of their essentials, but it may seem to be overabundant for those who just want the charted hits and nothing more. ~ Mike DeGagne

Track Listing
DISC 1:
1. Sylvia's Mother
2. Cover of the Rolling Stone
3. Better Love Next Time
4. In over My Head
5. Sexy Eyes
6. Oh! Jesse
7. Years From Now
8. Sharing the Night Together
9. Sweetest of All
10. Storms Never Last
11. Walk Right In
12. Love Monster
13. I Don't Want to Be Alone Tonight
14. Knowing She's There
15. Clyde
16. When You're in Love With a Beautiful Woman
17. Dooley Jones
18. I Gave Her Comfort
19. You Make My Pants Want to Get Up and Dance
20. More Like the Movies

DISC 2:
1. A Little Bit More
2. Radio
3. Up on the Mountain
4. Only Sixteen
5. Jungle to the Zoo
6. Bad Eye Bill
7. What About You
8. If Not You
9. A Couple More Years
10. Levitate
11. Let Me Be Your Lover
12. Mountain Mary
13. I Got Stoned and I Missed It
14. Bubblin' Up
15. Wups
16. The Millionaire
17. Everybody's Makin' It Big But Me
18. Cooky and Lila
19. Everybody Loves Me
20. On the Way to the Bottom

Today's work truck music.....

e77ec060ada0c04d716bb110.L.jpg

Crossroads -- CD

Tracy Chapman

1989 Elektra Records

On her second album, Tracy Chapman goes the traditional singer-songwriter route--think Carly Simon, James Taylor, etc.--by largely writing about the effects on her life of the unexpected success of her first album. The title track, standard blues imagery aside, is as self-analytical and autobiographical as any one of Joni Mitchell's early '70s albums. Other songs, like "Material World," address the same concerns in more subtle fashion.

Elsewhere, Chapman looks at freedom and oppression in such songs as the Nelson Mandela tribute "Freedom Now" and "All That You Have is Your Soul." Chapman and producer David Kershenbaum add subtle touches like horns, slide guitar (courtesy of Neil Young), and accordion, opening up the guitar-and-voice canvas of her self-titled debut and fleshing out the strongly melodic songs without overpowering them.

"Crossroads" – 4:11
"Bridges" – 5:24
"Freedom Now" – 4:02
"Material World" – 3:02
"Be Careful of My Heart" – 4:39
"Subcity" – 5:09
"Born to Fight" – 2:46
"A Hundred Years" – 4:20
"This Time" – 3:43
"All That You Have Is Your Soul" – 5:16

268271a88da089837f13d110.L.jpg

Greatest Hits -- CD

Bill Withers

1981 Columbia Records

Soulful Masterpiece, October 3, 2009
By Jason Kirkfield "The Pride and Sorrow of chil... (Purple Mountains Majesty) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)

Bought this for "Ain't No Sunshine" (which we loved in "Notting Hill"). Was happily surprised to hear so many great songs, many of which I recognized but never realized had been sung by Bill Withers.

Still not sure why Withers isn't known like Marvin Gaye or Issac Hayes.

Track listing

1. Just the Two of Us
2. Use Me
3. Ain't No Sunshine
4. Lovely Day
5. I Want to Spend the Night
6. Soul Shadows
7. Lean on Me
8. Grandma's Hands
9. Hello Like Before
10. Who Is He (And What Is He to You)?

Has to be one of my all time favourite albums!! Ever since having a daughter "Tenderness on the Block" has taken on a special meaning for me!!

Excitable_Boy_cover.jpg

Dennie said:

268271a88da089837f13d110.L.jpg

Greatest Hits -- CD

Bill Withers
1. Just the Two of Us
2. Use Me
3. Ain't No Sunshine
4. Lovely Day
5. I Want to Spend the Night
6. Soul Shadows
7. Lean on Me
8. Grandma's Hands
9. Hello Like Before
10. Who Is He (And What Is He to You)?

That tune is SO much fun to play on my Nord Electro II, clavinet setting; play the first line at a jam session and everyone wants to do the tune! :music-rockout:

c971e03ae7a028adf6fed110.L.jpg

Ingenue -- CD

kd lang

1992 Rhino Records

The album on which she officially gave up on Nashville and began singing torchy, adult-contemporary pop, Ingenue has been referred to by lang as her "stalker" album for its emphasis on songs about desire and obsession. Despite such onerous implications, the album is a charmer, thanks to lang's sincerity and passion and the smoldering arrangements of songs such as "Constant Craving," "The Mind of Love" and "Still Thrives This Love." The album's somewhat dark spirits are tempered by the campy "Miss Chatelaine," which lang has often performed live to the accompaniment of a Lawrence Welk-style bubble machine. With Ingenue, you can do the same in the comfort of your own home. --Daniel Durchholz

"Save Me" – 4:33
"The Mind of Love" – 3:48
"Miss Chatelaine" – 3:49
"Wash Me Clean" (Lang) – 3:17
"So It Shall Be" (Lang, Penny) – 4:30
"Still Thrives This Love" – 3:35
"Season of Hollow Soul" – 4:58
"Outside Myself" – 4:57
"Tears of Love's Recall" – 3:49
"Constant Craving" – 4:37

Today's work truck music....

51eyxHf2GAL._SS500_.jpg

To Tulsa And Back -- CD

J.J. Cale

2004 Sanctuary Records

Amazon.com

While some artists feel the need to reinvent themselves on a regular basis or to throw together records chockfull of guest stars in order to revive flagging careers, J.J. Cale remains content to continue his reign as king of the laid-back guitar groove. Anyone who thinks it is easy to continually wring new permutations out of the back-porch choogle--Cale's calling card for near three decades--should try it some time. A little violin ("My Gal"), a stab of horns ("Chains of Love"), or some vibraphone tones ("New Lover") is all he needs to freshen the mix. While artists like Eric Clapton and Lynyrd Skynyrd have scored by adding testosterone to Cale's tunes, they would be the first to admit that his music is no less potent for being more relaxed. In fact, it's the off-hand manner in which he presents his political tunes--"Stone River" (ecology), "The Problem" (the President), and "Homeless"--that gives them their poetry and power. --Michael Ross

1. "My Gal" 4:23
2. "Chains Of Love" 3:37
3. "New Lover" 3:12
4. "I Step" 3:20
5. "Stone River" 3:42
6. "The Problem" 4:31
7. "Homeless" 3:25
8. "Fancy Dancer" 4:50
9. "Rio" 3:46
10. "These Blues" 3:49
11. "Moto Mouth" 3:17
12. "Blues For Mama" 4:07
13. "Another Song" 3:24

Botch said:
steven-wilson-hands-e1425887943282.jpg

Steven Wilson, Hand. Cannot. Erase. 5.1 Bluray Audio :music-listening:
^WOW! And I (typically) don't like this kind of music but this is fantastic! The 5.1 Blu-ray presentation certainly helps a lot.

Today's work truck music....

ffb5810ae7a0ed336c57e110.L.jpg

The Big Easy - Soundtrack - CD

Various Artists

1987 Antilles Records

A lay person's "professional" review: July 26, 2003
By R. Epstein
Format:Audio CD

The purpose of any review is to say why a CD/movie/book is good or bad, not saying something like "don't waste your time" because "I, a person with 'credentials' says so" (oh, the arrogance of some folks!). As a person without "credentials" but with great taste in music and common sense regarding the rules of professional criticism, I would like to state why I happen to think this CD is good.

A) Because it covers a euphonious, rhythmical landscape filled with a wide range of music (and eras), including R&B, Cajun, Zydeco and Gospel. That makes it interesting and flavorful, as well as good listening for those who are fans of those musical genres. B) The music was picked by the filmmaker to create certain moods for certain scenes. So while some of the songs aren't necessarily the best overall representations for those kinds of music, they do have a strong impact of their own for anyone who has seen the film. It goes without saying, if you liked the film, you'll love the music because now you'll be able to get up and dance (well, I originally saw this in a cinema, so I had to contain myself at the time!). C) There are some GREAT songs here, especially the ones by The Swann Silvertones, Beausoleil, Buckwheat Zydeco and yes, Aaron Neville, whose interpretation of "Tell It Like It Is" is among the most beautiful soul ballads ever recorded. It makes my heart quiver! What more can I say?

It is a shame that St. Augustine's Marching Hundred didn't make the album, nor did the king of zydeco, Clifton Chernier, but this CD still offers one a great blend of staying-up-late music; either for partying, or for musing over the blues.

1. Iko Iko - The Dixie Cups
2. Tipitina - Professor Longhair
3. Ma 'Tit Fille - Buckwheat Zydeco
4. Colinda - Zachary Richard
5. Tell It Like It Is - Aaron Neville & The Neville Brothers
6. Zydeco Gris Gris - Beausoleil
7. Oh Yeh Yai - Terrance Simien & The Mallet Playboys
8. Hey Hey (Indians Comin') - The Wild Tchoupitoulas
9. Closer To You - Dennis Quaid
10. Saviour, Pass Me Not - The Swan Silvertones
11. Buck's Nouvelle Jole Blon - Buckwheat Zydeco & Ils Sont Partis Band
12. Pine Grove Blues - Dewey Balfa

Zing said:
Botch said:
steven-wilson-hands-e1425887943282.jpg

Steven Wilson, Hand. Cannot. Erase. 5.1 Bluray Audio :music-listening:
^WOW! And I (typically) don't like this kind of music but this is fantastic! The 5.1 Blu-ray presentation certainly helps a lot.

Did you also watch the Bonus Material??? That was the Icing On The Cake for me.........

Back
Top Bottom