• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

41Y48AXH2ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Benny In Brussels - Vol. 1 & 2 -- Remastered CD

Benny Goodman

1958/2001 Columbia/Collectibles Records

Classic Benny, Rare Recording January 9, 2002
By Mark Borchers
Format:Audio CD

The availability of this CD is great news for fans of the King of Swing. You won't see this hard-to-find set at your local superstore.

These recordings were made during the World's Fair in Brussels around 1958. Benny put an orchestra together to play in the American pavillion. According to the liner notes, it was a tremendous hit and gave a tremendous boost to America's languishing reputation in the arts.

The significant thing about this recording is that it's classic Goodman style, but the recording quality is light years better than the recordings you've heard from his heyday in the '30's and '40's. The band is crisp and driving, and Benny's virtuoso solos show even more artistry, if possible, than his earlier material. Benny's version of "One O'Clock Jump" would make Count Basie proud, and by itself makes the CD worth buying.

This CD is a fantastic find for Goodman fans - don't miss it!

1. Let's Dance
2. Don't Be That Way
3. Hallelujah
4. Obsession
5. Brussels Blues
6. More Than You Know
7. The World Is Waiting for the Sunrise
8. Jubilee
9. Roll 'Em
10. Stealin' Apples
11. Memories of You
12. Balkan Mixed Grill
13. Gershwin Medley: The Man I Love/Oh, Lady Be Good/Somebody Loves Me
14. St. Louis Blues
15. Mr. Five by Five
16. March of the Belgian Paratroops
17. One O'Clock Jump
18. Goodbye

Happy Saturday everyone.... :banana-dance:

51MeS2lWc8L.jpg

Happy Moods - Remastered CD

Ahmad Jamal

1960/2012 101 DISTRIBUTION

A Splendid Reissue August 17, 2009
By over and under
Format:Audio CD|Amazon Verified Purchase

What a great time it is to be a fan of Jazz. Even though the 50's and 60's are long gone, we're still treated to a steady trickle of reissues of our favorite artists, sometimes even getting recordings that have lain on the shelves for decades and only now are seeing the light of day.

Simply put, this is a great reissue, with Ahmad Jamal working intelligently and creatively through a number of standards and new compositions. Those who say Jamal is only effective in a live setting are closing their ears to some of the finest studio jazz around. There is real energy in this release and it's well worth your time.

Does the music bear out the title? Yes, it is a happy record, but no more joyous than any other recording Jamal has commited himself to. Truth be told, the real joy was finding this cd by accident after having not listened to Jamal for several years. Happy Moods, indeed.

1. Little Old Lady
2. For All We Know
3. Pavanne
4. Excerpt From The Blues
5. Youd Be So Easy To Love
6. Time On My Hands
7. Raincheck
8. Ill Never Stop Loving You
9. Speak Low
10. Rhumba No. 2

51wW4ZB7JeL.jpg

The Ballad Collection -- Remastered CD

June Christy

2000 Capitol Jazz

This isn't exactly the definitive June Christy ballad collection, whatever that may be . Rather it's a highly personal selection curated by the jazz biographer James Gavin (DEEP IN A DREAM: THE LONG NIGHT OF CHET BAKER), with a special emphasis on the neglected stereo re-recording of the singer's signature SOMETHING COOL Once again June Christy emerges here as a great singer-actress and very much under her own self-direction. The superior and informative liner notes refer to her stage fright and drinking but also her rare artistic integrity and equally rare low-key modesty. Gavin even excavates four completely unknown songs from a specially-penned Christmas album called THIS TIME OF YEAR. (Speaking of writer curators, the equally fine BEST OF JUNE CHRISTY: THE JAZZ SIDES was put together by jazz vocal maven Will Friedwald.)

Track Listing
1. Interlude
2. My One and Only Love
3. Lonely House
4. as in a Morning Sunrise Softly
5. The Little Star
6. Cry Like the Wind
7. The Magic Gift
8. Don't Explain
9. Kissing Bug
10. Nobody's Heart
11. Night People
12. The Night We Called It a Day
13. Something Cool
14. The Wind
15. This Time of Year
16. Winter's Got Spring Up Its Sleeve

Personnel: June Christy (vocals); Al Viola, Laurindo Almeida (guitar); Corky Hale, Kathyrine Julye (harp); Harry Klee, Bud Shank (flute); Bob Cooper (bass clarinet, oboe, tenor saxophone); Art Pepper (alto saxophone); Buddy Collette (tenor saxophone); Conte Candoli, Joe Gordon (trumpet); John Graas, Vincent DeRosa, John Cave (French horn); Dick Noel, Frank Rosolino, George Roberts , Harry Betts, Herbie Harper (trombone); Claude Williamson, Joe Castro (piano); Mel Lewis, Shelly Manne, Stan Levey, Irving Cottler (drums); Larry Bunker (percussion).Audio Remasterer: Ron McMaster.Liner Note Author: James Gavin.

51fxr7QDywL.jpg

Now and Always -- Remastered CD

Lu Ann Simms

2008 Flare Records (Import England)

PLEASING TRIBUTE TO POPULAR AMERICAN FIFTIES SONGBIRD
By A. POLLOCK on April 24, 2008
Format: Audio CD
A plethora of rising songbirds was evident during the early 50's in the USA with most of them reliant on the growth of television and its musical variety shows to aid fame, fortune and sale of recordings. Lu Ann Simms (1933-2003), a protégé of the popular Arthur Godfrey, became a regular part of his prime time television show and with it came a contract with Columbia Records.

UK-based Flare Records has done us all a favour and dusted off no less then two-dozen delightful sides from the period 1950-1955 which reveal Lu Ann as a cute sweet-voiced songstress who never reached high in the US Charts yet almost succeeded with a appealing waltz, MOVING AWAY, whilst the Broadway musical KISMET enabled her to join all the other girl singers who found one of its songs, BAUBLES, BANGLES AND BEADS, to be completely irresistible. As a ballad singer, Lu Ann makes RED ROSES AND LITTLE WHITE LIES, HI LILLI HI LO, IT'S THE END OF THE LINE, HAND-ME-DOWN-HEART, LOVE ME AS THOUGH THERE WERE NO TOMORROW and other choices very pleasant listening with just occasionally upping the odds to more pop-geared tempo for GOLDEN ROSES AND SILVER BELLS, IT'S THE END OF THE LINE, MATCHIN' KISSES and FOR NOW AND ALWAYS with THE SAME TWO LIPS clearly showing its country and western origins.

Fortunately, the esteemed Percy Faith and his Orchestra was usually on hand to accompany Lu Ann and for those living beyond American shores, this is likely to be the first opportunity to sample the lady's sweet-voiced talent, adding her to the list of enchanting but overlooked vocalists.

As with many others, Lu Ann's career ebbed, with fluctuating career, changing times and the rise of rock `n roll. There's no other collection fully dedicated to Lu Ann so this is a veritable "must" for all collectors of the best Fifties female vocalists.

Track Listing
1. Golden Roses and Silver Bells
2. Hi Lilli Hi Lo
3. Same Two Lips, The
4. It's the End of the Line
5. Matchin' Kisses
6. Red Is for Roses
7. When It's Just About September
8. Best Time, The
9. Moving Away
10. Hand-Me-Down Heart
11. I Wouldn't Want It Any Other Way
12. Be Patient, My Darling
13. You Could Be My Love
14. For Now and Always
15. I Won't Be Home No More
16. Junior Prom
17. Finis
18. Baubles, Bangles and Beads
19. You Can't Measure My Love
20. Boy Wanted
21. La Lu, La
22. Nosey
23. Leve Me as Though There Were No Tomorrow
24. Red Roses and Little White Lies

61mMRtkzubL.jpg

Francis A. & Edward K. -- 20 Bit Remastered CD

Frank Sinatra & Duke Ellington Orchestra

1968/1999 Reprise Records

The much-anticipated collaboration between Frank Sinatra and Duke Ellington, Francis A. & Edward K., didn't quite match its high expectations. At the time of recording, the Ellington band was no longer at its peak, and Sinatra was concentrating on contemporary pop material, not standards. It was decided that the record would be a mixture of standards and new material; as it happened, only one Ellington number, "I Like the Sunrise," was included. Due to a mild cold, Sinatra was not at his best during the sessions, and his performance is consequently uneven on the record, varying between robust, expressive performances and thin singing. Similarly, Ellington and his band are hot and cold, occasionally turning in inspired performances and just as frequently walking through the numbers. But that doesn't mean there is nothing to recommend on Francis A. & Edward K. On the contrary, the best moments on the album fulfill all of the duo's promise. All eight songs are slow numbers, which brings out Sinatra's romantic side. "Indian Summer" is a particular standout, with a sensual vocal and a breathtaking solo from saxophonist Johnny Hodges. Much of the material on the album doesn't gel quite as well, but devoted Sinatra and Ellington fans will find enough to treasure on the record to make it a worthwhile listen. Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Track Listing
1. Follow Me
2. Sunny
3. All I Need Is the Girl
4. Indian Summer
5. I Like the Sunrise
6. Yellow Days
7. Poor Butterfly
8. Come Back to Me

Personnel includes: Frank Sinatra (vocals); Duke Ellington (piano); Jimmy Hamilton (clarinet); Russell Procope, Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone); Paul Gonsalves (tenor saxophone); Harry Carney (baritone saxophone); Rev. Cootie Williams, Cat Anderson (trumpet); Lawrence Brown (trombone); Sam Woodyard (drums, percussion).Includes liner notes by Stan Cornyn. Liner Note Author: Stan Cornyn. Recording information: 12/12/1967.Arranger: Billy May.

Listening to disc #2 & 3...

41d153a09da079e882a74110.L.jpg

The Complete Decca Recordings -- Remastered 3 CD Set

Count Basie

1992 GRP Records

COUNT BASIE: THE COMPLETE DECCA RECORDINGS is among the most compelling reissues to emerge from GRP's "The Legendary Masters Of Jazz" series--a vital component in any jazz collection. When it comes to that most elusive of jazz metaphors, swing, Count Basie wrote the book, and here for the first time, the complete Decca recordings are presented in the exact chronological order in which they were recorded.Basie's big band was very much an extension of his piano style, deeply rooted in stride and blues. On a piano feature like "Red Wagon" the sense of notes not played is every bit as strong as those Basie articulates, as Basie edits away all the extraneous elements and zeroes in on only the prettiest most swinging notes. Which is what made big band arrangements like "Swinging At The Daisy Chain," "John's Idea," "Jumpin' At The Woodside" and "One O'Clock Jump" so popular among dancers.Then there was Basie's famous "All-American Rhythm Section," which matched Basie's coy restraint with an uncanny cruise control of its own. They took the strong beat (1 & 3) and weak beat (2 & 4) accents of previous generations, and conjured up a modern 1-2-3-4 groove centered in Freddie Greene's insistent four-to-the-bar strumming, Walter Page's big earthy beat and Jo Jones' magical hi-hat pulse and uncanny accents. When the brass and reed sections dropped away to let the rhythm section stroll, this was something completely new in jazz.Finally there were the legendary soloists, each man a section unto himself. Lester "Prez" Young brought a new lightness of tone, an advanced harmonic conception, and a floating behind-the-beat groove to the tenor saxophone (dig his lyrical alchemy on "Out The Window" and "Cherokee"), changing our conception of that instrument forever. Then there was his stylistic foil, tenor man Hershel Evans, with his huge, burnished on-the-beat Coleman Hawkins style (hear him swing for dear life on "Topsy" and `battle' Young on "Time Out")

Track Listing
DISC 1: 1937:
1. Honeysuckle Rose
2. Pennies from Heaven
3. Swinging at the Daisy Chain
4. Roseland Shuffle
5. Exactly Like You
6. Boo-Hoo
7. The Glory of Love
8. Boogie Woogie (I May Be Wrong)
9. Smarty (You Know It All)
10. One O'Clock Jump
11. Listen My Children (And You Shall Hear)
12. John's Idea
13. Good Morning Blues - (1st Take)
14. Good Morning Blues - (2nd Take)
15. Our Love Was Meant to Be
16. Time Out
17. Topsy
18. I Keep Remembering
19. Out the Window
20. Don't You Miss Your Baby?
21. Let Me Dream

DISC 2: 1938:
1. Georgianna
2. Blues in the Dark
3. Sent for You Yesterday (And Here You Come Today)
4. Every Tub
5. Now Will You Be Good?
6. Swingin' the Blues
7. Mama Don't Want No Peas 'N' Rice 'N' Coconut Oil
8. Blue and Sentimental
9. Doggin' Around
10. Stop Beating Around the Mulberry Bush - (1st Take)
11. Stop Beating Around the Mulberry Bush - (2nd Take)
12. London Bridge Is Falling Down
13. Texas Shuffle
14. Jumpin' at the Woodside
15. How Long Blues
16. The Dirty Dozens
17. Hey Lawdy Mama
18. The Fives
19. Boogie Woogie
20. Dark Rapture
21. Shorty George
22. The Blues I Like to Hear
23. Children? Do You Wanna Jump
24. Panassie Stomp

DISC 3: 1939:
1. My Heart Belongs to Daddy
2. Sing for Your Supper
3. Oh! Red
4. Fare Thee Well - (1st Take) Fare Thee Honey
5. Fare Thee Well - (2nd Take) Fare Thee Honey
6. Dupree Blues
7. When the Sun Goes Down - (1st Take)
8. When the Sun Goes Down - (2nd Take)
9. Red Wagon
10. You Can Depend on Me
11. Pt. 1 - (part 1) Cherokee
12. Pt. 2 - (part 2) Cherokee
13. Blame It on My Last Affair - (1st Take)
14. Blame It on My Last Affair - (2nd Take)
15. Jive at Five
16. Thursday
17. Evil Blues
18. Lady Be Good Oh

Personnel: Count Basie (piano); Jimmy Rushing, Helen Humes (vocals); Eddie Durham (arranger, electric guitar, trombone); Caughey Roberts, Earl Warren (alto saxophone); Lester Young, Hershel Evans (tenor saxophone, clarinet); Chu Berry (tenor saxophone); Jack Washington (baritone & alto saxophone); Buck Clayton, Harry "Sweets" Edison, Shad Collins, Joe Keyes, Carl Smith, Ed Lewis, Bobby Moore, Karl George (trumpet); Dan Minor, Dicky Wells, Bennie Morton, George Hunt, (trombone); Freddie Greene, Claude Williams (acoustic rhythm guitar); Walter Page (acoustic bass); Jo Jones (drums).Recorded in New York between 1937-1939. The dates for the individual sessions are: January 21, 1937; March 26, 1937; July 7, 1937; August 9, 1937; October 13, 1937; January 3, 1938; February 16, 1938; June 6, 1938; August 22, 1938; November 9, 1938; November 16, 1938; January 5, 1939; Januray 26, 1939; February 2-4, 1939. COUNT BASIE: THE COMPLETE DECCA RECORDINGS comes with a 32-page booklet, featuring biographical and discographical information, a track-by-track breakdown of solos, and liner notes by Orrin Keepnews and Steven Lasker

71xEG5gWj-L.jpg

Bossa Antigua -- Remastered CD

Paul Desmond featuring Jim Hall

1965/1999 RCA Victor Records

Bossa Antigua picks up the samba-based rim shots of drummer Connie Kay on Take Ten and tries to make a whole new record out of them. While the title track duplicates the original percolating groove of "El Prince," other tracks like "Samba Cantina" revert to a typical bossa nova rhythm of the period, which leads one to conclude that "bossa antigua" is merely whatever Desmond says it is. Of the album's two non-originals, "The Night Has a Thousand Eyes," of course, is made-to-order for Desmond's wistful, sophisticated temperament, and he delivers exactly what a Desmond devotee would expect and love; and "A Ship Without a Sail" has some memorable off-the-cuff solo ideas. Jim Hall is around again to lend subtle rhythm support and low-key savvy in his solos, and like many Desmond companions of this period, he makes a fine sparring partner in the contrapuntal exchanges. The Brubeck Quartet's Gene Wright again lends a sturdy hand on bass. The playing is wonderful throughout, though just missing the full-throttle inspiration of Take Ten. ~ Richard S. Ginell

Track Listing
1. Bossa Antigua
2. Night Has a Thousand Eyes, The
3. O Gato
4. Samba Cantina
5. Curaçao Doloroso
6. Ship Without a Sail
7. Alianca - (alternate take)
8. Girl From East 9th Street, The
9. Night Has a Thousand Eyes, The - (alternate take)
10. Samba Cepeda
11. O Gato - (alternate take)

This 1999 reissue contains three bonus tracks not on the original release.Personnel: Paul Desmond (alto saxophone); Jim Hall (guitar); Eugene Wright, Gene Cherico (bass); Connie Kay (drums).Audio Remasterer: Joe Lopes.

I miss this thread!!! Not that I haven't been listening to music, it is part of my daily life, but Babs has been a busy chick. Enjoying this pick from Zing...

The_Eagles_Hell_Freezes_Over.jpg

Happy Sunday everyone... :banana-rock:

51boxr%2BASqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

ILLUSIONS -- CD

Eliane Elias

1987 Nippon/Columbia/Denon (Import Japan)

Eliane Elias' debut as a leader (she had been a member of Steps Ahead) finds her abandoning the electric keyboards in favor of acoustic piano. On seven songs she is joined by bassist Eddie Gomez and either Al Foster or Steve Gadd on drums; the remaining two selections feature her accompanied by bassist Stanley Clarke and drummer Lenny White. With harmonica great Toots Thielemans making guest appearances on two numbers, Elias was at the time easily the least-known of the players on her own CD. However the pianist was already far along toward developing her own sound as she shows on four originals, two obscurities, Herbie Hancock's "Chan's Song," Blossom Dearie's "Sweet Georgia Fame" and the standard "Falling in Love with Love." A fine start to a significant solo career. ~ Scott Yanow

1 Choro 4:38 Written-By - Amilton Godoy
2 Through The Fire 6:05 Written-By - David Foster , Tom Keane
3 Illusions 7:09
4 Moments 5:53
5 Falling In Love With Love 6:23 Written-By - Lorenz Hart , Richard Rodgers
6 Iberia 10:26
7 Loco Motif 5:41
8 Sweet Georgia Fame 5:43 Written-By - Blossom Dearie
9 Chan's Song 6:18 Written-By - Herbie Hancock , Stevie Wonder

708cc060ada00ebd60f79110.L.jpg

Rich versus Roach - A battle of bands and drums between Buddy Rich and Max Roach -- CD

Buddy Rich & Max Roach

1959/1986 Mercury Records

Rich in one ear and Roach in the other equals MAGIC, October 21, 2002
By Kevin Nieman "Writer / Provocateur" (Moorpark, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Rich Vs Roach (Audio CD)
I have always been fascinated by the tribal lure of the drum, and Buddy Rich has always been the pre-eminent drum virtuoso of all time, in my opinion.

Yes, there are those who dislike Rich's bombastic playing as opposed to Max Roach's more calm and intellectual approach to his instrument. I cannot argue with that other than to say that this CD is a perfect example of both men's styles. Rich pounds the drums like a madman, and Roach plays them like a lover. Rich exhudes flash and fireworks, and Roach embraces subtlety and a carefully placed silence. Both men hammer out their styles like professionals, and some may say that it comes out as a draw.

Whatever your personal taste is regarding these two drum masters, this is a CD that drum fans and jazz fans can enjoy for generations to come. The debate over who was the better drummer will never be solved, but at least we can hear these two jazz giants battle it out, knowing that they were loving every minute of it.

1. "Sing, Sing, Sing (With a Swing)" (Louis Prima) – 4:22
2. "Sing, Sing, Sing (With a Swing)" – 4:08
3. "The Casbah" (Gigi Gryce) – 4:28
4. "The Casbah" – 4:58
5. "Sleep" (Earl Lebieg) – 3:18
6. "Figure Eights" (Buddy Rich, Max Roach) – 4:30
7. "Yesterdays" (Otto Harbach, Jerome Kern) – 5:41
8. "Big Foot" (Charlie Parker) – 5:00
9. "Big Foot" – 5:14
10. "Limehouse Blues" (Phillip Braham, Douglas Furber) – 3:56
11. "Limehouse Blues" – 3:43
12. "Toot, Toot, Tootsie, Goodbye" (Ernie Erdman, Ted Fio Rito, Gus Kahn, Robert A. K. King) – 3:57

41Gxvh0xwCL.jpg

Vertical Vision -- CD

Christian McBride Band

2003 Warner Bros. Records

The celebrated jazz educator, master bassist, composer, and arranger, Christian McBride provides a new recording, told in a language of blazing originality. Vertical Vision is a multi-layered musical story that features beautiful solos, great grooves, funky riffs, and virtuosic performances by each bandmember. The recording also reveals McBride's passion for strong writing, brilliant accompaniment, and eclectic melodic voicings that stay with listeners long after the record ends. On this, his debut for Warner Brothers Jazz, McBride creates a dazzling weave of passionate rhythms, musical forms, and bass voicings with his longtime bandmate Ron Blake on saxophones and flute. Geoff Keezer on piano and keyboards, Terreon Gully on drums, David Gilmore on both acoustic and electric guitars, and Danny Sadownick on percussion add their flavorful interpretations, which elevate their performances to another level at each subsequent listen. The songs were inspired by and reflect a variety of subjects including the beautiful original "Song for Maya," which is played superbly by the ensemble and features the splendid flute work of Ron Blake. It is the most beautiful of all and the one that makes its way, like the family it has come to represent, into your heart. "Lejos de Usted" -- which is filled with beautiful horn voices and the vertical visions of McBride on acoustic bass -- is overflowing with Latin nuance and it is there, melding the borders between jazz and Latin rhythms. Top picks: "Technicolor Nightmare,""Tahitian Pearl," "Song for Maya," and "Boogie Woogie Waltz." Overall, Vertical Vision is a masterpiece that is beautiful, spirited, brimming with energy, and meets the same high standards set and achieved on Sci-Fi. ~ Paula Edelstein

Track Listing
1. Circa 1990
2. Technicolor Nightmare
3. Tahitian Pearl
4. Wizard of Montara, The
5. Ballad of Little Girl Dancer, The
6. Lejos de Usted - (Spanish)
7. Precious One
8. Song Foy Maya
9. Boogie Woogie Waltz

Christian McBride (acoustic & electric basses); Ron Blake (soprano & tenor saxophones, flute); Geoffrey Keezer (piano, keyboards); David Gilmore (acoustic & electric guitar); Terreon Gully (drums); Danny Sadownick (percussion).

51397RFSGVL._SS500_.jpg

The Most Relaxing Jazz Guitar Music In The Universe -- 2 CD Set

Various Great Artists

2005 Denon Records

More of a intro to jazz, September 23, 2008
By This one goes to 11.... (Chicago,IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Most Relaxing Jazz Guitar Music in Universe (Audio CD)

This cd to me sounds more like an introduction to jazz guitar.However,
it does have some relaxing moments on it.On the other hand,I just started listening to jazz,so I'm really not that familiar with jazz.

Disc: 1

1. Listen to the Dawn -- Kenny Burrell
2. Samba de Orpheus -- Grant Green
3. Last Night When We Were Young -- Sal Salvador & Mundell Lowe
4. Over the Rainbow -- Kenny Burrell
5. All Blues -- Jimmy Ponder
6. In the Meantime -- Kenny Barron featuring Ted Dunbar
7. Road Song -- Pat Martino
8. Homage to Charlie Christian -- Charlie Byrd
9. I Can't Get Started -- Jack McDuff featuring John Hart
10. Sophisticated Lady -- Larry Coryell
11. Dreamsville -- Pat Martino
12. 'Round Midnight -- Larry Coryell
13. You Don't Know What Love Is -- Pat Martino
14. Tenderly -- Kenny Burrell
15. 'Deed I Do -- Red Norvo featuring Tal Farlow
16. One for Tubby -- Herbie Mann featuring Joe Puma
17. You Are Too Beautiful -- Jimmy Ponder
18. A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square -- Sal Salvador & Mundell Lowe
19. Keepin' The Faith -- Steve Laury
20. Visit -- Pat Martino
21. Motherless Child -- Grant Green
22. Angel Eyes -- Andy Bey featuring Paul Meyers

Disc: 2

1. 'Round Midnight -- Larry Coryell
2. You Don't Know What Love Is -- Pat Martino
3. Tenderly -- Kenny Burrell
4. 'Deed I Do -- Red Norvo featuring Tal Farlow
5. One for Tubby -- Herbie Mann featuring Joe Puma
6. You Are Too Beautiful -- Jimmy Ponder
7. A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square -- Sal Salvador & Mundell Lowe
8. Keepin' The Faith -- Steve Laury
9. Visit -- Pat Martino
10. Motherless Child -- Grant Green
11. Angel Eyes -- Andy Bey featuring Paul Meyers

51AaRMkaxpL.jpg

Live In Portland 1959 -- CD

The Dave Brubeck Quartet

2010 Domino Records (Import Europe)

2010 live archive release containing a complete never before released concert by the classic Dave Brubeck Quartet with Paul Desmond, Gene Wright and Joe Morello. It was recorded at the zenith of the group's career, right before the making of the albums Gone With the Wind and Time Out (the latter LP was one of the best-selling jazz albums of all time). Includes 8-page booklet.

Track Listing
1. Two Part Contention
2. The Lonesome Road
3. Take the "a" Train
4. When the Saints Go Marchin' In
5. I'm In a Dancing Mood
6. Someday My Prince Will Come
7. Drum Feature*

* Track 7 is is incorrectly listed as "Drum Feature". It should be: Sounds Of The Loop

Personnel: Dave Brubeck (piano); Paul Desmond (alto saxophone); Gene Wright (Bass); Joe Morello (drums).Liner Note Author: Bertrand Vidal.Recording information: Portland, OR (04/1959).

51%2BKv0xEPwL._SS500_.jpg

The Ultimate Most Relaxing Jazz Music In The Universe -- 2 CD Set

Various Artists

2007 Denon Records

Best of this series, September 29, 2007
By William Berg (Gainesville, FL) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Ultimate Most Relaxing Jazz Music in Universe (Audio CD)

I've purchases a number of the "most relaxing" series and generally liked them, but for my money this was the best so far. If you favor jazz tunes oriented around well known, classic songs, then you'll like this one. As usual, the group and soloists featured are widely varied. I believe this is the first time I've heard someone play jazz harmonica! I'm not especially a harmonica fan, and if you're not either, don't turn up your nose at this until you've heard it. I especially enjoy jazz sax, and in this regard this album doesn't disappoint. There are several nice, bluesy tracks along this line. The CD may not be serious or modern jazz, it may not satify the true jazz affectionado, but for a wonderfully relaxing, breezy, varied, and straight ahead jazz experience, grab a cool drink, lay back in your hammock, and enjoy.

Track Listing

DISC 1:
1. It's Magic - Sonny Stitt
2. Always and Forever - Charles Earland
3. Stormy Weather - Woody Shaw
4. Samba Du Bois - Phil Woods
5. I Wish I Knew - Red Garland
6. Blue In Green - Wallace Roney
7. Summertime - Duke Jordan
8. My Funny Valentine - Morgana King
9. Never Never Land - Bud Shank
10. Yesterdays - Larry Coryell
11. Dreams - James Moody
12. Moon Mist - Ricky Ford

DISC 2:
1. Kiss - Hubert Laws
2. All My Life - Marian McPartland
3. You Are the Sunshine of My Life - Sam Jones
4. My Romance - Houston Person
5. Golden Lotus - Kenny Barron
6. My Old Flame - Darrell Grant
7. Road Song - Pat Martino
8. It Could Happen To You - Kenny Burrell
9. When You Wish Upon a Star - The Drummonds
10. Round Midnight - Hank Jones
11. Del Valle - Bobby Hutcherson
12. Moments - Eliane Elias

Happy Memorial Day everyone... :flags-usa:

41S7ajLvv6L._SS400_.jpg

In His hands -- CD

Gene Harris

1997 Concord Records

The Devil's Music and the Lord's, September 28, 2000
By Tim Smith "Tim Smith" (Bonney Lake, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In His Hands (Audio CD)

Is this a jazz or gospel CD? The answer is: yes. Nothing challenging here, just some praiseworthy good times. If you have been fortunate enough to attend church meetings with keyboardists like the late (and greatly-missed) Gene Harris or Jack McDuff, then you know what much of the shouting is about at those big revival meetings. I'm a big Gene Harris fan and he was in fine form here, swinging particularly hard on "Battle Hymn of the Republic", "This Little Light of Mine" and "Will the Circle Be Unbroken." It's obvious that Gene loved and was comfortable with this music and these songs. The two biggest surprises for me (both pleasant) were "Amazing Grace" and "(Jesus Keeps Me) Near the Cross". When I first heard "Amazing Grace", I was sure it was Ray Charles. Vocalist Curtis Stigers does a beautifully soulful job on this timeless classic while Gene plays some very bluesy piano. "(Jesus Keeps Me) Near the Cross" is a duet between McDuff and Harris that brought back memories of my childhood. I was taken back to the days when I would be home from school and my mother would listen to Gospel radio all morning while she did her chores. How I would have liked to have heard Gene play "The Old Rugged Cross"!

When I first listened to this CD, I was slightly disappointed and nearly gave it only three stars. After a few more listens I realized, however, that the disappointment was due to my preconceived notions of what I thought the CD would be like. Once I accepted it for what Gene wanted it to be and not what I thought it would be, I grew to like it. Now, I listen to it quite often.

If you are under the impression that Gospel music is boring or that jazz can't be done reverently, give this a listen and see if maybe your opinion doesn't change.

Track listing

1. Lean On Me
2. Battle Hymn Of The Republic
3. Will The Circle Be Unbroken
4. Everyhting Must Change
5. Amazing Grace
6. Lord I've Tried
7. Jesus Keep Me Near The Cross
8. This Little Light Of Mine
9. Operator
10. His Eye Is On The Sparrow
11. He's Got The Whole World In His Hands
12. Granpa's Hands

51JSGC6EY2L._SS500_.jpg

With One Voice -- CD

Ramsey Lewis

2005 Narada Jazz

Gospel meets jazz, February 8, 2008
By Daniel Olson "musicfreak" (Molndal, Sweden) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: With One Voice (Audio CD)

This is a great record, contemporary jazz meets contemporary gospel.
Ramsey Lewis invites a gospel choir to perform with him live and it's a really good one with great singers/musicians.
The songs are mostly unknown for me expect "Oh happy day" but they sounds really good with a "jazzy touch" from Ramsey's piano!
If you're into booth gospel and contemporary/classic jazz this a record for you!
Buy it and you won't be diassapointed!

1. Oh Happy Day
2. Sunday Strut
3. Bless Me (Prayer Of Jabez)
4. Thoughts And Reflections
5. Pass Me Not
6. Trees
7. Work It Out
8. My Love For You
9. Healed Heart
10. Keep The Spirit
11. With One Voice

A veritable who's who of legends and new artists proving great music can still be produced!

812VWU09fpL._SX425_.jpg

71fZq44mTvL.jpg

Major Glenn Miller & The Army Air Froce Band 1943-1944 -- Remastered CD

1987 RCA/Bluebird Treasury Series

Amazon.com

This album's 17 tracks were recorded between October 1943 and April 1944, when Glenn Miller's band was stationed in America and contributing to the war effort by performing at war-bond and recruitment rallies. With popular vocalists Johnny Desmond and Tony Martin and a large string section complementing a jazz-oriented big band, Miller was able to cover a broad range of material, including ambitious arrangements of such show tunes as "Speak Low" and "People Will Say We're in Love." There are patriotic novelty tunes as well, and the swing content is high on Bill Finegan's "Tail-End Charlie" and Jerry Grey's "Enlisted Men's Mess" and "Jeep Jockey Jump." The Army Air Force Band included excellent jazz musicians, with a rhythm section superior to any of Miller's civilian bands. Pianist Mel Powell is featured on his own Gershwin-esque instrumental, "Pearls on Velvet," while drummer Ray McKinley animates the swing tunes. --Stuart Broomer

Track Listings

1. St. Louis Blues March
2. Peggy, The Pin-up Girl
3. Speak Low
4. Tail-End Charlie
5. Anvil Chorus
6. Oh, What A Beautiful Morning
7. There Are Yanks
8. Everybody Loves My Baby
9. Enlisted Men's Mess
10. I'll Be Around
11. There'll Be A Hot Time In The Town Of Berlin