• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Secret_Place_A_1976_Kudu.jpg

A Secret Place

Grover Washington, Jr.

1976 Kudu

Mendelssohn_Concerto_in_E_Minor_RCA_Victor_Red_Seal.jpg

Mendelssohn - Concertoin E Minor
Prokofieff - Concerto in G Minor

Jascha Heifetz,violin
Boston Symphony Orchestra
Charles Munch, conductor

1959/19? RCA Victor Red Seal

Zing, would love to hear your thoughts on Ok Computer (in another thread, if you feel this is derailing). For some reason, I don't see you as a Radiohead fan. That's not a dis, as they are not for everyone (my wife hates Yes if it makes you feel better).

V8 peters, I'm going to have to call you out brother. If you have some pics of your media room, I'd love to see your music collection. Just like Dennie, I think I'd be like a kid in a candy store if I were at your house or Dennie's.

Back on track,

61M2R9fAt9L.jpg

on my turntable. It's "whiskey" colored :happy-smileygiantred: :

20151013_154238_zpssgcg3c9n.jpg

Yesfan70 said:
Zing, would love to hear your thoughts on Ok Computer (in another thread, if you feel this is derailing). For some reason, I don't see you as a Radiohead fan. That's not a dis, as they are not for everyone (my wife hates Yes if it makes you feel better).
I'm not afraid to publicly state that I don't like something. In fact, I very recently did so regarding XTC. Then Botch, Flint and Mcad all jumped down my throat and accused me of being a second class citizen with zero cred and no accountability for taste.

As for the album "OK Computer", it has a special place in my collection...

...right next to my Quadrophenia, Aerial and Drums & Wires albums. :puke-huge:

Zing said:
Yesfan70 said:
I'm not afraid to publicly state that I don't like something. In fact, I very recently did so regarding XTC. Then Botch, Flint and Mcad all jumped down my throat and accused me of being a second class citizen with zero cred and no accountability for taste.

Wait....

What's this? Can it be? Is it at all possible that you and I agree on something regarding the definition of crap music?

Let me get this straight. For years and years I thought I was the only guy in this little music/audio club who hated - that's right HATED - Radiohead. You sat silently while I took the heat from the gang whenever I spoke up about how OK Radio made me want to stick toothpicks in my ears and go on a rampage throughout the city. Now I learn, surprise! that you, too, don't like Radiohead...

Wow...

Flint said:
Wait....

What's this? Can it be? Is it at all possible that you and I agree on something regarding the definition of crap music?

Let me get this straight. For years and years I thought I was the only guy in this little music/audio club who hated - that's right HATED - Radiohead. You sat silently while I took the heat from the gang whenever I spoke up about how OK Radio made me want to stick toothpicks in my ears and go on a rampage throughout the city. Now I learn, surprise! that you, too, don't like Radiohead...

Wow...
I don't recall any discussion where you took heat for not liking Radiohead. I would've backed you like there was no tomorrow. Anytime they're mentioned, I sample their music and immediately think "How can anybody listen to this?" Naturally, I sampled OK Computer before buying it and didn't like what I heard but bought it anyway because I wanted to hear it on my system in my room solely because it was on so many of those SQ lists. I couldn't find any redeeming qualities.

Well, I suppose there is one redeeming quality: if Chuck ever visits me again, he'll have something to listen to.

I'm also a member of the, "don't like" Radiohead. At the GTG at Deacon's, when -B- had them playing....it.was pure hell on my virgin ears.
I've tried a couple times but couldn't understand the love of such noise. They may put on a great live show....but not for me.

Zing said:
Yesfan70 said:

Really? Not even "Exit Music (for a film)" was likable? I swear, I have to check my pre/pro every time I listen to that song to make sure it's in stereo and not 5.1 and "Let Down" has notes dripping from the ceiling. By the way, you didn't tell me you also got Rage, Dre, and Daft Punk. Awesome! (Yeah, you're gonna hate all of it.)

By the way, I don't think OK Computer is a great album; there are five songs I always skip and a sixth that I listen to only on occasion. But of the remaining track list, I'd rank four as pretty damn good if not genius:
  • Paranoid Android
  • Exit Music (For A Film)
  • Let Down
  • Karma Police

CMonster said:
Really? Not even "Exit Music (for a film)" was likable? I swear, I have to check my pre/pro every time I listen to that song to make sure it's in stereo and not 5.1 and "Let Down" has notes dripping from the ceiling. By the way, you didn't tell me you also got Rage, Dre, and Daft Punk. Awesome! (Yeah, you're gonna hate all of it.)

By the way, I don't think OK Computer is a great album; there are five songs I always skip and a sixth that I listen to only on occasion. But of the remaining track list, I'd rank four as pretty damn good if not genius:
  • Paranoid Android
  • Exit Music (For A Film)
  • Let Down
  • Karma Police

I will listen again - to those especially - and I'll let you know if my opinion changes at all.

Regarding the other discs, I hate none of them. Dre's 2001 was not my first (I've had Chronic for more than a decade). I don't see myself playing it much but I can't say it was disappointing. Daft Punk's album was not bad musically. The SQ was what I'd hoped for. The blatant, worse-than-Cher autotune use grated on my nerves though. Nickelback's got nothing to be ashamed of. The biggest surprise was how much I enjoyed the Rage album. Sure, there are 4 or 5 songs I'll always skip but the rest of it was surprisingly good.

I KNEW Zing wouldn't like OK Computer. I listen to 3-4 tracks off of In Rainbows every time I get to his crib and I consider that album among Radiohead's very best material. OK is a different flavor altogether and to me more of an acquired taste.

Batman said:
I KNEW Zing wouldn't like OK Computer. I listen to 3-4 tracks off of In Rainbows every time I get to his crib and I consider that album among Radiohead's very best material. OK is a different flavor altogether and to me more of an acquired taste.

Yo Zing, I think your subs need a workout:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYvwyXolVzU[/youtube]

Back