• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Today's work truck music...

4b0953a09da06bba8a4c5110.L.jpg

Dusty In Memphis -- Deluxe Edition CD

Dusty Springfield

1969/1999 Rhino Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Dusty Springfield never claimed to be a soul singer, but Dusty in Memphis effects a unique and deeply moving synthesis of her brand of stylish pop and the Southern R&B of the late '60s. Her soft tones and hushed, confessional readings make for definitive versions of everything from "Son of a Preacher Man" (a later version by Aretha Franklin is good but less thrillingly sensual than this one) to Randy Newman's ballads "I Don't Want to Hear It Anymore" and "Just One Smile" to a swirling take on "The Windmills of Your Mind." The soul obscurity "Breakfast in Bed" even gives a knowing spin to a line from an earlier Springfield classic: "You don't have to say you love me." This expanded edition features vastly improved sound and a number of bonus tracks not on the earlier CD. --Rickey Wright

Side A

"Just a Little Lovin'" (Barry Mann, Cynthia Weil) – 2:18
"So Much Love" (Gerry Goffin, Carole King) – 3:31
"Son of a Preacher Man" (John Hurley, Ronnie Wilkins) – 2:29
"I Don't Want to Hear It Anymore" (Randy Newman) – 3:11
"Don't Forget About Me" (Goffin, King) – 2:52
"Breakfast in Bed" (Eddie Hinton, Donnie Fritts) – 2:57

Side B

"Just One Smile" (Randy Newman) – 2:42
"The Windmills of Your Mind" (Alan Bergman, Marilyn Bergman, Michel Legrand) – 3:51
"In the Land of Make Believe" (Burt Bacharach, Hal David) – 2:32
"No Easy Way Down" (Goffin, King) – 3:11
"I Can't Make It Alone" (Goffin, King) – 3:57

Bonus tracks 1999 Deluxe Edition, Rhino Records US

"What Do You Do When Love Dies" (with orchestral overdubs) (Mary Unobsky, Donna Weiss) – 2:42
"Willie & Laura Mae Jones" (Tony Joe White) – 2:49
"That Old Sweet Roll (Hi-De-Ho)" (Gerry Goffin, Carole King) – 2:59
"Cherished" (Kenny Gamble, Leon Huff) – 2:38
"Goodbye" (Roland Chambers, Leonard Pakula) – 2:33
First UK release: compilation Classics And Collectables, 2007
"Make It With You" (David Gates) – 3:12
First UK release: 4 CD boxed set Simply Dusty, 2000
"Love Shine Down" (not credited) – 2:22
"Live Here With You" (Gilbert Slavin, Michael F. Soles) – 2:44
"Natchez Trace" (Neil Brian Goldberg, Gilbert Slavin) – 2:58
"All the King's Horses" (not credited) – 3:10
"I'll Be Faithful" (Stereo) (Ned W. Albright, Michael F. Soles, Steven Soles) – 3:01
First release (mono): Rhino's 1992 re-issue of A Brand New Me. First UK release: compilation Classics And Collectables, 2007
"Have a Good Life Baby" (not credited) – 3:09
First UK release: 2002 re-issue of See All Her Faces
"You've Got a Friend" (Carole King) – 5:28
"I Found My Way" a.k.a. "I Found My Way Through The Darkness" (Gilbert Slavin, Michael F. Soles) – 3:12

Awesome avatar, Dennie! Luv it!! I have not been adding much to this thread as of late.

Zing & I had a great night in the theater this past week, listened to sooooo much, too much to post. We were all over the musical map. It was a very enjoyable evening! :handgestures-thumbup: :music-listening: :handgestures-thumbup:

Happy Saturday and Halloween everyone. Today's work truck music...

c296c060ada0ccafdf0bc110.L.jpg

Can't Buy A Thrill -- CD

Steely Dan

1972/1998 MCA Records

Amazon.com

Songwriters Walter Becker and Donald Fagen launched Steely Dan with a seductive, poker-faced 1972 debut as smoothly accessible in its music as it was elusive in its thematic concerns. The opening "Do It Again" snagged swift commercial success as one of the most mysterious pop hits in history, a sultry rock cha-cha that chronicled a series of harrowing catastrophes far removed from the reheated love songs and pro forma countercultural rebellion of the day. Though the core band boasted two formidable guitarists, Jeff Baxter and Denny Dias, it was the bloom of Fagen's keyboards and his reedy, smart-ass vocals that carried Thrill light years beyond modal, blues-based rock. That said, an enduring highlight remains the furious six-string fantasia of "Reelin' in the Years," spiked by Elliot Randall's downright historic solos, at once dour and giddy in its indictment of a poser, while "Dirty Work" (featuring short-lived, nominal lead singer David Palmer) offers a decidedly adult vignette of adultery. There isn't a weak track here, astonishing, considering how much growth future Dan albums would display. --Sam Sutherland

Side one

"Do It Again" – 5:56
Solos by Denny Dias and Donald Fagen
Vocal by Donald Fagen
"Dirty Work" – 3:08
Sax solo by Jerome Richardson
Vocal by David Palmer
"Kings" – 3:45
Solo by Elliot Randall
Vocal by Donald Fagen
"Midnite Cruiser" – 4:08
Solo by Jeff Baxter
Vocal by Jim Hodder
"Only a Fool Would Say That" – 2:57
Solo by Jeff Baxter
Vocal by Donald Fagen and David Palmer

Side two

"Reelin' in the Years" – 4:37
Lead guitar by Elliot Randall
Vocal by Donald Fagen
"Fire in the Hole" – 3:28
Piano solo by Donald Fagen
Steel guitar by Jeff Baxter
Vocal by Donald Fagen
"Brooklyn (Owes the Charmer Under Me)" – 4:21
Steel guitar by Jeff Baxter
Vocal by David Palmer
"Change of the Guard" – 3:39
Solo by Jeff Baxter
Vocals by Donald Fagen and David Palmer
"Turn That Heartbeat Over Again" – 4:58
Vocal by Donald Fagen, Walter Becker and David Palmer

Babs said:
Awesome avatar, Dennie! Luv it!! I have not been adding much to this thread as of late.

Zing & I had a great night in the theater this past week, listened to sooooo much, too much to post. We were all over the musical map. It was a very enjoyable evening! :handgestures-thumbup: :music-listening: :handgestures-thumbup:

...... :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Griffith_Park_Collection_The_1982_Elektra_Musician.jpg

The Griffith Park Collection

Stanley Clarke, Chick Corea, Joe Henderson, Freddie Hubbard and Lenny White

1982 Elektra Musician

v8peters said:

1982 Elektra Musician
Hmm, I'm completely unfamiliar with that one. :shhh:

EDIT: Boughted. Amazon one had one left, so the hooman thing took over and hit "Buy Now with One Click". :eusa-whistle:

Botch said:
v8peters said:

1982 Elektra Musician
Hmm, I'm completely unfamiliar with that one. :shhh:

EDIT: Boughted. Amazon one had one left, so the hooman thing took over and hit "Buy Now with One Click". :eusa-whistle:

:text-bravo:

v8peters said:
Romantic Warrior

Return To Forever

1976 Columbia
Interesting timing here. I bought Romantic Warrior, on vinyl, early summer 1980. Leaving the record store I was tooling along when a Harley Davidson appeared right in front of me, 4 feet up, and destroyed my car (missed me, barely). Early the next morning I took a flight to CA for Air Force field training, 6 weeks.
Got home, the motorcyclist was out of the hospital (never met him), the drunk indian woman who sideswiped him into me was in prison, and the vinyl copy of RW was laying against the front seat track, baked for 6 weeks in the South Dakota summer sun, warped beyond playability.
I still haven't heard it, I don't think (need to check my CD collection, maybe I have it now).

Botch said:
v8peters said:
Romantic Warrior

Return To Forever

1976 Columbia
Interesting timing here. I bought Romantic Warrior, on vinyl, early summer 1980. Leaving the record store I was tooling along when a Harley Davidson appeared right in front of me, 4 feet up, and destroyed my car (missed me, barely). Early the next morning I took a flight to CA for Air Force field training, 6 weeks.
Got home, the motorcyclist was out of the hospital (never met him), the drunk indian woman who sideswiped him into me was in prison, and the vinyl copy of RW was laying against the front seat track, baked for 6 weeks in the South Dakota summer sun, warped beyond playability.
I still haven't heard it, I don't think (need to check my CD collection, maybe I have it now).

Definitely get it! All of RTF are excellent but they reach their pinnacle with the 1976 release.

I only remember cassettes and CDs being offered through record clubs, Think I've seen 8-TRacks. And vinyl, of course. But Never wouldve guessed they did R2R. Guess that maybe shows how much more seriously a larger portion of the population took audio quality back then that a record club was selling it. At least for a time.

Granted, then along came CDs with "perfect sound forever" and that was the pinnacle for most people. The hobbyists probably dwindled. Then the internet came and changed everything again.

Or something like that. I suppose.

Back