• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Today's work truck music...

3d7c729fd7a03e5656e1e010.L.jpg

Abbey Road -- CD

The Beatles

1969/1990 Apple/Capitol Records

Amazon.com essential recording

The Beatles' last days as a band were as productive as any major pop phenomenon that was about to split. After recording the ragged-but-right Let It Be, the group held on for this ambitious effort, an album that was to become their best-selling. Though all four contribute to the first side's writing, John Lennon's hard-rocking, "Come Together" and "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" make the strongest impression. A series of song fragments edited together in suite form dominates side two; its portentous, touching, official close ("Golden Slumbers"/"Carry That Weight"/"The End") is nicely undercut, in typical Beatles fashion, by Paul McCartney's cheeky "Her Majesty," which follows. --Rickey Wright

All songs written and composed by Lennon/McCartney, except where noted.

Side one
No. Title Lead vocals Length
1. "Come Together" Lennon 4:20
2. "Something" (Harrison) Harrison 3:03
3. "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" McCartney 3:27
4. "Oh! Darling" McCartney 3:26
5. "Octopus's Garden" (Starkey) Starr 2:51
6. "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" Lennon 7:47

Side two
No. Title Lead vocals Length
1. "Here Comes the Sun" (Harrison) Harrison 3:05
2. "Because" Lennon, McCartney and Harrison 2:45
3. "You Never Give Me Your Money" McCartney 4:02
4. "Sun King" Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison 2:26
5. "Mean Mr. Mustard" Lennon 1:06
6. "Polythene Pam" Lennon 1:12
7. "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window" McCartney 1:57
8. "Golden Slumbers" McCartney 1:31
9. "Carry That Weight" McCartney with Lennon, Harrison and Starr 1:36
10. "The End" McCartney 2:05
11. "Her Majesty" McCartney 0:23

51B9pbgInoL._SS400_.jpg

Softly As A Summer Breeze -- Remastered CD

The Incredible Jimmy Smith with Kenny Burrell & Philly Joe Jones

1960/2006 Blue Note Records

It's smooth and powerful with great ballad interpretations, January 23, 2000
By macfawlty "macfawlty" (potomac, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Softly As a Summer Breeze (Audio CD)

I have the LP and will have to get the CD as well since there are 4 more songs on it. Don't shy away from these ballad albums, they are great and really show alot of depth and incredible mastery of the B3. I still have a ways to go to complement my 40 or so Jimmy LP's with the convenience of CD's.

"These Foolish Things" (Harry Link, Holt Marvell, Jack Strachey) - 5:27
"Hackensack" (Thelonious Monk) - 5:58
"It Could Happen to You" (Johnny Burke, Jimmy Van Heusen) - 6:16
"Sometimes I'm Happy" (Irving Caesar, Vincent Youmans) - 8:21
"Someone to Watch Over Me" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) - 6:30
"One for Philly Joe" [aka "Home Cookin'"] (Jimmy Smith) - 4:46
"Willow Weep for Me" (Ann Ronell) - 3:24 Bonus track on CD reissue
"Ain't No Use" (Leroy Kirkland, Sidney Wyche) - 2:40 Bonus track on CD reissue
"Angel Eyes" (Earl Brent, Matt Dennis) - 3:25 Bonus track on CD reissue
"Ain't That Love" (Ray Charles) - 2:45 Bonus track on CD reissue

-----

Recorded at Rudy Van Gelder Studio in Hackensack, New Jersey on February 26, 1958 (tracks 1-6) and October 14, 1958 (tracks 7-10)

_57_zpsac7cd4d8.jpg

'S Wonderful -- SACD

Bill Charlap Trio

1998/2014 Venus Records (Import Japan)

Breakthrough Album from Jazz Pianist Bill Charlap and His Trio!

Before the talented pianist Bill Charlap went "major" with the Blue Note label, he was discovered by Venus Records and the Japanese audience. This "debut" album of Charlap, released in 1999, was an enormous hit and became an instant classic.

Deeply rooted in the tradition of jazz and with tremendous knowledge and respect for the American songbook, Charlap's piano playing is lyrical, fantastic and powerful. This album may not dazzle you with apparent "newness," but the beauty of melody, sound, and deep swing will move you and make you smile. The great New York rhythm section, bassist Peter Washington and drummer Kenny Washington, contributes with great performances as well.

"Best known for his work with Gerry Mulligan and later Phil Woods during the 1990s, pianist Bill Charlap was clearly developing rapidly on his own record dates. Beginning with a crisp rendition of "Time After Time," Charlap, with a formidable rhythm section of bassist Peter Washington and drummer Kenny Washington, explores a nice mix of standards and jazz classics...The sound on this studio date is so intimate that it sounds as if the listener is sitting right next to the piano." -Ken Dryden, allmusic.com

Features:
• Single Layer Stereo SACD

Musicians:
Bill Charlap, piano
Peter Washington, bass
Kenny Washington, drums

Selections:
1. Time After Time
2. My Shining Hour
3. The Blue Room
4. Boy, What Love Has Done To Me
5. Isfahan
6. Lover
7. Something To Live For
8. 'S Wonderful
9. Summer Serenade
10. Only The Lonely

KGrHqRrFCTB85foDBQMGeD60_12_zps9c624a03.jpg

I'm Old Fashioned -- CD

Bill Charlap with Peter Bernstein and Peter Washington

2010 Venus Records (Import Japan)

Nobody would argue that Bill Charlap is one of the most preeminent jazz pianists of his generation. His encyclopedic knowledge of the American Songbook is second to none, and his beautiful touch, amazing skills and imagination make it a pleasure to listen to him at all times.

As some of you already know, Charlap has recorded a number of great albums for Venus Records of Japan with his great New York Trio (with Jay Leonhart and Bill Stewart). For this, latest release, he decided to take a slightly different direction with a drum-less trio with guitarist Peter Bernstein and bassist Peter Washington.

Having a guitarist instead of a drummer softenes the texture of the trio sound and make it more intimate. It also makes the sound of the bass come forward so one can appreciate, in this case, the virtuosity of Washington. Charlap's tone is pristine and his solos are sigh-inducingly beautiful. The group's style may seem "old fashioned" on surface, but their interpretations of standards are modern, sophisticated and urban. This CD is a must-have item for fans of Bill Charlap! Enthusiastically recommended!

Produced by Tetsuo Hara & Todd Barkan. Recorded at The Avatar Studio in New York on December 17 & 18, 2009. Engineered by Katherine Miller. Mixed and Mastered by Tetsuo Hara / Venus Hyper Magnum Sound Direct Mix. - Swing Journal Gold Disc.

Track Listings:
1. I'm Old Fashioned (J.Kern) 5:10
2. I Can't Get Started (V.Duke) 4:08
3. Stella By Starlight (V.Young) 3:01
4. Ghost Of A Chance (V.Young) 5:00
5. All The Things You Are (K.Kern) 4:24
6. Easy Living (R.Rainger) 4:17
7. Darn That Dream (J. Van Heusen) 4:18
8. Angel Eyes (M.Dennis) 4:08
9. What Is This Thing Called Love (C.Porter) 4:22
10. Body And Soul (J.Green) 4:11
11. Gone With The Wind (A.Wrubel) 3:37
12. Everything Happens To Me (M.Dennis) 4:46
13. These Foolish Things (J.Strachey,H.Link) 3:56

Recorded at The Avatar Studio in New York on December 17 & 18, 2009

Performed by:
Bill Charlap - piano
Peter Bernstein - guitar 
Peter Washington - bass

61jGzqlNMnL._SS500_.jpg

Poinciana -- Remastered CD

Ahmad Jamal

1963/1989 Portrait/Columbia Records

POINCIANA contains material recorded between 1951 and 1955. Includes liner notes by Stanley Crouch.This fascinating date features pianist Ahmad Jamal at the beginning of his recording career. With guitarist Ray Crawford and either Eddie Calhoun or Israel Crosby on bass, Jamal showcases a style that would be a major influence on Miles Davis' music. Jamal's use of space and dynamics was very different than the style of any other jazz pianist of the era. His versions of "Old Devil Moon," "Will You Still Be Mine?," "The Surrey with the Fringe on Top," and "A Gal in Calico" inspired Miles to record the songs in a similar fashion, and his "Billy Boy" became the basis of a performance by the Red Garland Trio. Most fascinating is Jamal's inventive interpretation of "Pavanne," for it has a section very reminiscent of "So What" (which was not "composed" by Davis until over two years later) and a melody statement that is exactly the same as John Coltrane's "Impressions." ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Old Devil Moon
2. Ahmad's Blues
3. Poinciana
4. Billy Boy
5. Will You Still Be Mine
6. Pavanne
7. Crazy He Calls Me
8. Surrey With the Fringe on Top, The
9. Aki and Ukthay
10. Slaughter on 10th Avenue
11. Gal in Calico, A
12. It's Easy to Remember

510H-X23H6L.jpg

Jazz In The Key Of Blue -- SACD

Jimmy Cobb Quartet

2009 Chesky Records

The veteran drummer Jimmy Cobb is partnered by trumpeter Roy Hargrove, guitarist Russell Malone and bassist John Webber for this collection of warm, laidback standards.

A superb, mostly self-taught musician, Jimmy Cobb is the elder statesman of all the incredible Miles David bands. Cobb's inspirational work with Miles, John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley and co. spanned 1957 until 1963 and included the masterpiece Kind Of Blue, the most popular jazz recording in history.

This studio recording features the famous drummer with a mellow group that features mesmerizing interplay between Hargrove's spaciously-blown lines, and Malone's slow-burning and chromatic sounds. The programme is mostly ballads including classics such as "Emily", "Stairway To The Stars", "I Had The Craziest Dream", "Remembering U", "If Ever I Would Leave You", and "With You I'm Born Again".

Selections:
1. Every Time We Say Goodbye
2. With You I'm Born Again
3. I'll Still Be In Love With You
4. Emily
5. Stairway To the Stars
6. I Had the Craziest Dream
7. Remembering U
8. What Will I Do
9. If Ever I Would Leave You
10. We'll Be Together Again

Musicians:
Jimmy Cobb, drums
Roy Hargrove, trumpet, fluegelhorn
Russell Malone, guitar
John Webber, bass

Happy Sunday everyone...

51twlCGOLSL.jpg

Listen Here! -- CD

The Gene Harris Quartet

1989 Concord Records

Although often associated with the blues, only one of the ten selections on this quartet set by pianist Gene Harris (who is joined by guitarist Ron Eschete, bassist Ray Brown, and drummer Jeff Hamilton) is technically a blues. On this excellent all-around showcase for the soulful pianist, Harris sounds in prime form exploring such tunes as "This Masquerade," "Don't Be That Way," Eddie Harris' "Listen Here," and "The Song Is Ended." Listen Here! gives listeners a pretty definitive look at Gene Harris' accessible and swinging style. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. This Masquerade
2. Don't Be That Way
3. I've Got a Feeling I'm Falling
4. Listen Here
5. This Can't Be Love
6. To You
7. Blues for Jezebel
8. Sweet and Lovely
9. Lullabye
10. The Song Is Ended

Gene Harris Quartet: Gene Harris (piano); Ron Eschete (guitar); Ray Brown (bass); Jeff Hamilton (drums).Recorded at The Plant Recording Studios, Sausalito, California in March 1989.

6bafa2c008a0131c31e38010.L.jpg

The Complete Aladdin Recordings -- 2 Remastered CD Set

Lester Young

1995 Blue Note Records

Although it has often been written that cool-toned tenor saxophonist Lester Young's experiences with racism in the military during 1944-1945 so scarred him that he never played at the same musical level as he had previously, the music on this essential two-CD reissue disproves that theory. It is true that his attitude toward life was affected and Young became somewhat self-destructive, but his postwar solos rank with the greatest work of his career. This two-fer, which has four selections from 1942 in which Young is heard in a trio with pianist Nat King Cole and bassist Red Callender and a rare 1945 session headed by singer Helen Humes (including a previously unknown instrumental "Riffin' Without Helen"), is mostly taken up with Young's very enjoyable 1945-1948 small-group dates. Highlights include "D.B. Blues," "Jumpin' with Symphony Sid" (which was a minor hit), "Sunday," and "New Lester Leaps In," among many others. Minor errors aside (trumpeter Snooky Young is left out of the personnel listing for the Humes date and Young's final Aladdin session is from 1948, not 1947), this is a well-conceived and brilliant set filled with exciting performances by one of the true greats of jazz. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing

DISC 1:
1. Indiana
2. I Can't Get Started
3. Tea for Two
4. Body and Soul
5. D.B. Blues
6. Lester Blows Again
7. These Foolish Things
8. Jumpin' at Mesner's
9. It's Only a Paper Moon
10. After You've Gone
11. Lover, Come Back to Me
12. Jammin' with Lester
13. You're Driving Me Crazy
14. New Lester Leaps In
15. Lester's Be Bop Shop
16. She's Funny That Way
17. Sunday
18. S.M. Blues

DISC 2:
1. Jumpin' with Symphony Sid
2. No Eyes Blues
3. Sax-O-Be-Bop
4. On the Sunny Side of the Street
5. Easy Does It
6. Easy Does It - (alternate take)
7. Movin' with Lester
8. One O'Clock Jump
9. Jumpin' at the Woodside
10. I'm Confessin'
11. Lester Smooths It Out
12. Just Cooling
13. Tea for Two
14. East of the Sun
15. Sheik of Araby
16. Something to Remember You By
17. Riffin' Without Helen - (previously unreleased)
18. Please Let Me Forget
19. He Don't Love Me Anymore
20. Pleasing Man Blues
21. See See Rider
22. It's Better to Give Than Receiving

Personnel: Lester Young (tenor saxophone); Helen Humes (vocals); Willie Smith (alto saxophone); Maxwell Davis (tenor saxophone); Howard McGhee, Shorty McConnell (trumpet); Vic Dickenson (trombone); Dodo Marmarosa, Nat Cole, Wesley Jones, Joe Albany, Argonne "Sadik Hakim" Thornton, Gene DiNovi, Jimmy Bunn (piano); Irving Ashby, Fred Lacey, Nasir Barakaat, Chuck Wayne, Dave Barbour (guitar); Red Callender, Curtis Counce, Rodney Richardson, Ted Briscoe, Curly Russell, Junior Rudd (bass); Henry Tucker, Johnny Otis, Chico Hamilton, Lyndell Marshall, Roy Haynes, Tiny Kahn (drums).Producers: Norman Granz, Leonard Feather.Reissue producer: Michael Cuscuna.Recorded in Los Angeles, California; Chicago, Illinois; New York, New York between July 15, 1942 and December 29, 1947. Includes liner notes by Leonard Feather.

KGrHqRnYFIKMdJ-bBSJ0t00fBw60_12_zps80b9e41a.jpg

Plays Standards -- 24k Gold CD

Steve Kuhn Trio

2007 Venus Records (Import Japan)

Veteran jazz pianist Steve Kuhn has proved to be a popular artist in Japan, recording a series of CDs for the Japanese label Venus. On these 2006 sessions, Kuhn is joined by bassist Buster Williams and drummer Al Foster, two artists who also have extensive résumés. While the CD is titled Plays Standards, Kuhn doesn't stick exclusively to well-known works. In addition to Victor Young's widely recognized "Beautiful Love" (a favorite of pianist Bill Evans), the pianist offers a seductive take of the composer's "Golden Earrings" and a lighthearted, breezy setting of "Love Letters" as well. Kuhn's intense workout of "Alone Together" includes an amusing detour into Thelonious Monk's "Locomotive," while his revamping of "Softly, as in a Morning Sunrise" disguises the tune rather well. Kuhn also revisits his original "Oceans in the Sky," a brilliant piece evocative of a coming storm. Highly recommended. Review by Ken Dryden

Track Listings:

1. Alone Together
2. Golden Earrings
3. I Wish I Knew
4. Left Alone
5. Blue Bossa
6. Nature Boy
7. Softly As In A Morning
8. You Leave Me Breathless
9. Oceans In The Sky
10. I See Your Face Before
11. Love Letters
12. Beautiful Love

Performed by Steve Kuhn Trio

Steve Kuhn <piano>
Buster Williams <bass>
Al Foster <drums>

9ac9816f-4583-4439-ad19-b1c50f0c6783_zps24d52d0a.jpg

Always -- Remastered 24bit CD

The New York Trio

2008 Venus Records (Import Japan)

The New York Trio, led by pianist Bill Charlap with bassist Jay Leonhart and drummer Bill Stewart, exists exclusively as a band to record for the Japanese jazz market, as Charlap has a regular trio with Peter Washington and Kenny Washington, while both Leonhart and Stewart are busy session musicians who occasionally also lead their own record dates. These 2007 sessions focus exclusively on the extensive songbook of the prolific Irving Berlin. Most of the ten tunes heard on this CD have long since become standards and are frequently recorded by jazz artists. One that isn't typically heard as an instrumental is "I Got the Sun in the Morning" (from the musical Annie Get Your Gun), heard in a loping yet infectious interpretation. "How Deep Is the Ocean" is one of Berlin's most recorded songs, yet this version sizzles with energy, unlike the typical ballad treatments. Other highlights include the breezy, joyful setting of "Cheek to Cheek," with Stewart's whispering brushes propelling Charlap's buoyant piano, along with the bittersweet "What'll I Do," featuring Leonhart's intimate solo. Even though this isn't a working band, things seem to gel quickly for The New York Trio when the group assembles to record. Review by Ken Dryden

Track Listings:

1. Always ( 5 : 15 )
2. Cheek To Cheek ( 5 : 41 )
3. They Say It's Wonderful ( 3 : 57 )
4. I Got The Sun In The Morning ( 5 : 19 )
5. How Deep Is The Ocean ( 3 : 57 )
6. Change Partners ( 4 : 43 )
7. What'll I Do ( 5 : 24 )
8. Isn't This A Lovely Day? ( 5 : 39 )
9. The Song Is Ended ( 6 : 51 )
10. Russian Lullaby ( 2 : 07 )

~All Songs by Irving Berlin ~

Performed by New York Trio

Bill Charlap - piano
Jay Leonhart - bass
Bill Stewart - drums

61iS6YsngqL._SS500_.jpg

At Music Inn Vol. 2 -- CD

The Modern Jazz Quartet With Guest Artist Sonny Rollins

1988 Atlantic Records

A Jazz Masterpiece September 15, 2004
By R. Moonilall
Format:Audio CD

Switch the lights off, relax with a good glass of mulled wine and let the sheer warm musicality of this album wash over you. Sonny Rollins is the highlight of this album - shame he only plays on two of the tracks. His sax break at the beginning of Night in Tunisia where the band make a slight pause before they start swinging again is one of the creamiest most delicious moments in jazz. This is one of the albums to have!

1. Medley: Stardust/I Can't Get Started/Lover Man - The Modern Jazz Quartet
2. Yardbird Suite - The Modern Jazz Quartet
3. Midsömmer - The Modern Jazz Quartet
4. Festival Sketch - The Modern Jazz Quartet
5. Bag's Groove - The Modern Jazz Quartet, Sonny Rollins
6. Night in Tunisia - The Modern Jazz Quartet, Sonny Rollins

Milt Jackson - vibraharp
John Lewis - piano
Percy Heath - bass
Connie Kay - drums
Sonny Rollins - Tenor Sax

_12_zpsdf7df649.jpg

Johnny Hodges, Soloist -- Remastered 24bit CD

Billy Strayhorn and THE Orchestra

1962/1999 Verve Master Edition

A rare look at Hodges and Strayhorn without Ellington April 27, 1999
By A Customer
Format:Audio CD

This disc which is the result of a session in 1961 that features Johhny Hodges on alto sax with Billy Strayhorn as the band leader. Detail of the session is related in Lush Life the biographpy of Billy Strayhorn (pg 217). Briefly, Strayhorn was given free rein in providing new arrangments of songs by Ellington, Hodges and himself. In the 30 plus years they worked together Strayhorn used the Ellington orchestra to feature Hodges. However, this disc really puts Hodges in the forefront of the orchestra and the results are tremendous. Hodges, under Strayhorns direction gives top notch redendtions of 2 of the greatest songs they did together, Day Dream and I Got It Bad. I haven't stopped playing this disc, comparing the arrangements by Strayhorn and playing by Hodges against other Ellington discs. Another one you may want to try is "And His Mother Called Him Bill" which I think is Hodges greatest performance. Oh by the way, Happy 100th Birthday Duke (April 29th) We love you madly!

Track Listing
1. Don't Get Around Much Anymore
2. I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)
3. The Gal from Joe's
4. Your Love Has Faded
5. I'm Just a Lucky So and So
6. Jeep's Blues
7. Day Dream
8. Juice A-Plenty
9. Azure
10. Tailor Made
11. Stardust

Personnel: Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone); Billy Strayhorn (conductor); Russell Procope (alto saxophone, clarinet); Jimmy Hamilton (tenor saxophone, clarinet); Paul Gonsalves (tenor saxophone); Harry Carney (baritone saxophone, bass clarinet); Cat Anderson, Shorty Baker, Bill Berry, Ed Mullens, Howard McGhee (trumpet); Lawrence Brown, Quentin Jackson (trombone); Chuck Connors (bass trombone); Jimmy Jones (piano); Aaron Bell (bass); Sam Woodyard (drums).Producer: Creed Taylor.Reissue producer: Ben Young.Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey in December 1961. Originally issued on Verve (8452). Includes liner notes by Loren Schoenberg and Stanley Dance.Digitally remastered using 24-bit technology by Kevin Reeves (Polygram Studios).This is part of the Verve Records Master Edition series

Back