• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

41QrEXPlEjL.jpg

Angel Eyes: Ballads & Slow Jams -- CD

Jimmy Smith

1996 Verve Records

The '90s lounge revival and the hubbub surrounding acid jazz would seem ideal reasons for veteran jazz organist Jimmy Smith to pull rank and power up his Hammond B-3 for the sort of greasy grooves and ur-funk riffs that remain the blueprint. Instead, Smith pulls a smarter move: subtitled "Ballads & Slow Jams," the set finds him teaming with younger labelmates Roy Hargrove, Nicholas Payton, Mark Whitfield, and Christian McBride and downshifting into a program of ballads culled from jazz and classic- pop perennials. From Oliver Nelson's "Stolen Moments" and Neal Hefti's "Lil' Darlin'" to slices of Mancini, Gershwin, and Matt Dennis's title song (forever associated with Sinatra), a slow jam by any other name translates to make-out music--in this case, of the most elegant, highly satisfying order. --Sam Sutherland

Track Listing
1. Stolen Moments
2. You Better Go Now
3. Angel Eyes
4. Oh Where's My Bess Bess
5. Slow Freight
6. Tenderly
7. Days of Wine and Roses
8. L'il Darlin'
9. What a Wonderful World

Personnel: Jimmy Smith (organ); Nicholas Payton (trumpet); Roy Hargrove (trumpet, flugelhorn); Mark Whitfield (guitar); Christian McBride (bass); Gregory Hutchinson (drums).Recorded at Powerstation, New York, New York on January 25 & 26, 1995.

51p5wBW7g4L.jpg

Within A Song -- CD

John Abercrombie Quartet

2012 ECM Records

Abercrombie's Best Album in Years, and a New Classic ECM Release
By Stephen Silberman on August 4, 2012
Format: Audio CD

Exquisitely sensitive and empathic performances of tunes by Bill Evans, John Coltrane, and Ornette Coleman -- along with standards made famous by Jim Hall and others -- make this Abercrombie's best album in years. Gone is the overly tart tone that plagued some of the guitarist's '90s releases; his sound here is closer to his classic work in the '70s with Ralph Towner and the Abercrombie Quartet. You couldn't ask for more copacetic, A-list sidemen than Drew Gress, Joey Baron, and Joe Lovano. Between them, they have so much talent and imagination that these mellow, moody, probing performances are a marvel of contained power. It's also frankly nice to see an ECM release based on standards. That may seem like a "duh!" -- a jazz release based on standards, what a concept! -- but ECM genius Manfred Eicher has clearly pushed his stable of brilliant musicians to favor original compositions over the decades, so to hear this ensemble find its own completely fresh way through a tune like "Flamenco Sketches" (which is virtually uncoverable, because the original on Kind of Blue is so iconic) is breathtaking. Music simply doesn't get better than this.

"Where Are You" (Harold Adamson, Jimmy McHugh) - 5:54
"Easy Reader" - 6:37
"Within a Song/Without a Song" (John Abercrombie/Billy Rose, Edward Eliscu, Vincent Youmans) - 7:55
"Flamenco Sketches" (Miles Davis) - 6:34
"Nick of Time" - 5:57
"Blues Connotation" (Ornette Coleman) - 6:11
"Wise One" (John Coltrane) - 9:12
"Interplay" (Bill Evans) - 6:26
"Sometime Ago" (Sergio Mihanovich) - 6:25

John Abercrombie — guitar
Joe Lovano — tenor saxophone
Drew Gress — bass
Joey Baron — drums

41HyEtSDt1L.jpg

"...and his mother called him Bill" -- Remasterd 24bit CD

Duke Ellington and His Orchestra

1967/2001 RCA Victor Gold (Import France)

When Billy Strayhorn died of cancer in 1967, Duke Ellington was devastated. His closest friend and arranger had left his life full of music and memories. As a tribute, Ellington and his orchestra almost immediately began recording a tribute to Strayhorn, using the late arranger's own compositions and charts. The album features well-known and previously unrecorded Strayhorn tunes that showcased his range, versatility, and, above all, the quality that Ellington admired him most for: his sensitivity to all of the timbral, tonal, and color possibilities an orchestra could bring to a piece of music. The set opens with a vehicle for Johnny Hodges called "Snibor," written in 1949. A loose blues tune, its intervals showcase Hodges against a stinging I-IV-V backdrop and turnaround, with a sweeping set of colors in the brass section before Cootie Williams takes a break and hands it back to Hodges to take out. The melancholy "Blood Count" was written in 1967 for the band's Carnegie Hall concert. It proved to be his final composition and chart. Hodges again gets the call and blows deep, low, and full of sadness and even anger. The music is moody, poignant, and full of poise, expressing a wide range of feelings as memories from different periods in the composers' and bandleaders' collective careers. Given all the works Strayhorn composed, this one -- with its muted trumpet section set in fours against Hodges' blues wailing -- is both wistful and chilling. Also included here is a remake of 1951's "Rock Skippin' at the Blue Note," in a spicy, funky version with a shimmering cymbal ride from Sam Woodyard and a punched up, bleating Cootie Williams solo as well as one from Jimmy Hamilton on clarinet, smoothing out the harmonic edges of the brass section (which features a ringing break from John Sanders). In cut time, the tune shuffles in the groove with Ellington accenting on every eight as the brass and reeds mix it up joyously. There are two versions of "Lotus Blossom." Ellington claimed it was the piece Strayhorn most liked to hear him play. The LP version is a quiet, restrained, meditative rendition played solo by Ellington, with the most subtle and yet emotional nuances he ever presented on a recording as a pianist. Finally, closing the album is a bonus track, a trio version played in a whispering tone with only baritone saxophonist Harry Carney and bassist Aaron Bell accompanying Ellington. The piece was supposedly recorded as the band was packing up to leave. Its informality and soulful verve feel like they are an afterthought, an unwillingness to completely let go, a eulogy whose final words are questions, elegantly stated and met with only the echo of their last vibrations ringing in an empty room, full of wondering, longing, and helplessness, but above all the point of the questions themselves: "Is this enough?" or "Can there ever be enough to pay an adequate tribute to this man?" They are interesting questions, because only five years later we would all be saying the same thing about Ellington. For a man who issued well over 300 albums, this set is among his most profoundly felt and very finest recorded moments.

Track List:
American and French reissues

"Snibor" (Strayhorn) – 4:16
"Boo-Dah" (Strayhorn) – 3:28
"Blood Count" (Strayhorn) – 4:18
"U.M.M.G." (Strayhorn) – 3:14
"Charpoy" (Strayhorn) – 3:07
"After All" (Strayhorn) – 3:52
"The Intimacy of the Blues" (Strayhorn) – 2:58
"Rain Check" (Strayhorn) – 4:37
"Day Dream " (Ellington, Latouche, Strayhorn) – 4:25
"Rock Skippin' at the Blue Note" (Ellington, Strayhorn) – 3:02
"All Day Long" (Strayhorn) – 2:58
"Lotus Blossom [Solo Version]" (Strayhorn) – 3:54
"Acht O'Clock Rock" (Ellington) – 2:23
"Rain Check [alternate take]" (Strayhorn) – 5:22
"Smada" (Ellington, Strayhorn) – 3:21
"Smada [alternate take]" (Ellington, Strayhorn) – 3:20
"Midriff" (Strayhorn) – 4:35
"My Little Brown Book" (Strayhorn) – 4:13
"Lotus Blossom [Trio Version]" (Strayhorn) – 4:56

Personnel: Duke Ellington (piano); Russell Procope, Jimmy Hamilton (alto saxophone, clarinet); Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone); Paul Gonsalves (tenor saxophone); Harry Carney (baritone saxophone); Cat Anderson, Mercer Ellington, Herbie Jones, Cootie Williams (trumpet); Clark Terry (flugelhorn); John Sanders, Lawrence Brown, Buster Cooper, Chuck Connors (trombone); Aaron Bell, Jeff Castleman (bass); Steve Little, Sam Woodyard (drums).Recorded at RCA Studios, New York, New York and between August and November 1967. Includes liner notes by Duke Ellington, Stanley Dance, Patricia Willard, and Robert Palmer.All tracks have been digitally remastered.Twenty-four bit digitally remasted with restored original artwork. CD contains 4 bonus tracks.

Botch said:

CBS Sunday Morning normally does a segue of the famous people who left us in the past year. Just learned that Phil Woods, my favorite alto saxophonist, died this year, and I didn't know about it until this morning. :( Looking thru his wikipedia entry just now, he played a tribute to Charlie Parker (he married his widow) in early September, and announced his retirement towards the end of the show. He was gone before the end of the month.
He played the wonderful alto solo on Billy Joel's Just the Way You Are, and also the stunning, first-take solo on Steely Dan's Dr. Wu.

JVCXR60258-Large_zpsg88ydkmy.jpg

Circle Waltz -- XRCD2

Don Friedman Trio

1962/1999 Riverside/Victor Japan

AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow

Even ignoring that bassist Chuck Israels is on this set and the similarity of some of the repertoire, it's difficult to overlook the fact that pianist Don Friedman sounds very similar to Bill Evans on this set. With drummer Pete LaRoca completing the trio and such songs as "I Hear a Rhapsody," "In Your Own Sweet Way," and "So in Love" joining four of the leader's originals, Friedman uses chord voicings similar to Evans and engages in the same type of close interplay with his sidemen. However, since the music is of high quality and few other keyboardists sounded like Evans this early, Circle Waltz is worth hearing by post-bop fans.

1. Circle Waltz
2. Sea's Breeze
3. I Hear a Rhapsody
4. In Your Own Sweet Way
5. Loves Parting
6. So in Love
7. Modes Pivoting

Don Friedman (piano)
Chuck Israels (bass)
Pete LaRoca (drums)

51uUAh3AlPL._SS500_.jpg

Manhattan Moods -- CD

McCoy Tyner & Bobby Hutcherson

1994 Blue Note Records

Pianist Tyner and vibes player Hutcherson go way back in jazz's be-bop canon, and the gorgeous refrains to be found on MANHATTAN MOODS provide evidence that their brilliance has hardly dimmed in their more than 40-plus years in the limelight. Both Tyner and Hutcherson are in contemplative, romantic mode here, as their choice of material reflects."Dearly Beloved" finds Tyner providing the wisps of melody while Hutcherson's mellifluous vibes color the air around them. Hutcherson's "Isn't This My Sound Around Me?" couches Tyner's velvety keys in subtle hues. However, the epitome of this recording's stately grace resides in the duo's reading of "(I Loves You) Porgy," where Tyner's notes probe tenderly while Hutcherson's exquisitely light touch on his vibes sparkle like iridescent fireflies. One of Blue Note's masterwork releases of the '90s, and a particularly vital part of both musicians' sterling catalogs.

Track Listing
1. Manhattan Moods
2. Blue Monk
3. Dearly Beloved
4. Porgy, (I Loves You)
4. I Loves You, Porgy
5. Isn't This My Sound Around Me?
6. Soul Eyes
7. Travelin' Blues
8. Rosie
9. For Heaven's Sake

Personnel: McCoy Tyner (piano); Bobby Hutcherson (vibraphone, marimba).Recorded at Sound On Sound, New York, New York on December 3 & 4, 1993.

Today's work truck music...

61OYXqnw-NL._SS500_.jpg

Kill To Get Crimson -- CD

Mark Knopfler

2007 Warner Bros. Records

Amazon.com

Three decades after Dire Straits broke onto the scene with their remarkable debut, Mark Knopfler remains an iconic figure in popular music, his graceful guitar playing equaled only by his genial baritone and a novelist's ability to create distinct characters and themes in his songs. His fifth solo album since he pulled the plug on the band in 1995, Crimson reflects on a torrent of narratives, from the gracefully aging spouse in the flute-powered ballad "The Scaffolder's Wife" to the valiant down-and-outer in the Scottish folk song "Heart Full of Holes." Employing accordions, fiddles, and horns as majestic accompaniment, Knopfler drifts into the Celtic-tinged melodies of his past, explicitly in the whiskey-soaked singalong "Secondary Waltz," the busker's saga "Madame Geneva's," and "The Fish and the Bird," with its vagabond pensiveness. Clocking in at just under an hour, the album--without any page-turning epic--plays instead like an anthology of written works, every personification crisp in definition, every story exquisitely told. --Scott Holter

"True Love Will Never Fade" – 4:21
"The Scaffolder's Wife" – 3:52
"The Fizzy and the Still" – 4:07
"Heart Full of Holes" – 6:36
"We Can Get Wild" – 4:17
"Secondary Waltz" – 3:43
"Punish the Monkey" – 4:36
"Let It All Go" – 5:17
"Behind With the Rent" – 4:46
"The Fish and the Bird" – 3:45
"Madame Geneva's" – 3:59
"In the Sky" – 7:29

Pictures_at_an_Exhibition_1958_Audio_Spectrum.jpg

Pictures at an Exhibition

Modest Mussorgsky - Maurice Ravel
The Nord Deutches Symphony Orchestra
Wilhelm Schuechter, conductor

1958 Audio Spectrum

Berlioz_Harold_in_Italy_1972_Angel_Reel.jpg

Harold in Italy, Op. 16

Hector Berlioz
Rudolf Barshai, viola
Moscow Philharmonic
David Oistrakh, conductor

1972 Angel

71VHRgDOHbL._SL1048__zpsugxpykdw.jpg

East! -- SACD

Pat Martino

1968/2006 Prestige/MFSL

Pat Martino East! on Limited Edition Hybrid SACD from Mobile Fidelity
Killer Jazz Guitar Album from 1968 Never Sounded So Good
Mastered from the Original Analog Master Tapes for the First Time Ever

Despite the title and the cover of this CD reissue (which makes it appear that the performances are greatly influenced by music of the Far East), the style played by guitarist Pat Martino's quartet is very much in the hard bop tradition. Martino was already developing his own sound and is in excellent form with pianist Eddie Green, drummer Lenny McBrowne, and either Ben Tucker or Tyrone Brown on bass during two group originals, Benny Golson's "Park Avenue Petite," John Coltrane's "Lazy Bird," and the standard "Close Your Eyes." It's a good example of Pat Martino's playing in his early period. ~ Scott Yanow

Selections:
1. East
2. Trick
3. Close Your Eyes
4. Part Avenue Petite
5. Lazy Bird

Musicians:
Ben Tucker - Bass, Tambourine
Eddie Green - Piano
Lenny McBrowne - Drums
Pat Martino - Guitar
Tyrone Brown - Bass

APSA076-Large_zpsqdgwiyo3.jpg

Dream With Dean - The Intimate Dean Martin -- SACD

Dean Martin

1964/2015 Analog Productions

A profile of a rugged Dean Martin by the fireplace with a cigarette adorns the jacket of this very interesting concept album. As Stan Cornyn's liner notes explain, "his longtime accompanist" on piano, Ken Lane, with "three of Hollywood's most thoughtful rhythm men" -- those being drummer Irv Cottler, bassist Red Mitchell, and guitarist Barney Kessel -- do create a mood, Dean Martin performing as if he were a lounge singer at 1:15 a.m. as the Saturday night crowd is dwindling. His signature tune, "Everybody Loves Somebody," is here in a laid-back style, produced by Jimmy Bowen, who would go on to produce Reba McEntire, Kenny Rogers & the First Edition, and so many others, also the same man who was behind the 1964 number one smash. This album with the original Martin recording was released after the hit single version and on the same day as the Everybody Loves Somebody LP, but how many times does the audience get a different studio reading of a seminal hit record? Not only that, but the version that preceded the hit. The backing is so sparse it is almost a cappella, with Kessel's guitar noodlings and Ken Lane's piano. The bass is mostly invisible, coming in only when needed. It's a slow and sultry version that caps off side one. There is a rendition of Rodgers & Hart's "Blue Moon" that strips away the doo wop of the Marcels' number one 1961 remake, and a run-through of the Bloom/Mercer hit for Glen Miller, "Fools Rush In," which Rick Nelson had launched into the Top 15 in 1963. Martin is just crooning away, and if the album has one drawback, it is that the 12 songs are incessant in their providing the same atmosphere. The backing quartet does not deviate from their job, nor does producer Jimmy Bowen add any technique, other than putting Martin's voice way out in the mix. But Dream With Dean was no doubt excellent research and development as Bowen landed 11 Top 40 hits with the singer from 1964's "Everybody Loves Somebody," which evolved out of this original idea to 1967's "Little Old Wine Drinker, Me." It sounds as if they tracked the album in one afternoon, and it is not only a very pleasant listening experience, it shows what a tremendous vocalist Dean Martin truly was. AllMusic Review by Joe Viglione

Selections:
1. I'm Confessin' (That I Love You)
2. Fools Rush In
3. I'll Buy That Dream
4. If You Were The Only Girl
5. Blue Moon
6. Everybody Love Somebody
7. I Don't Know Why (I Just Do)
8. "Gimmie" A Little Kiss
9. Hands Across The Table
10. Smile
11. My Melancholy Baby