• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Rope

Famous
51NyJCBArTL.jpg

Rope

Zing said:
Nats, how 'bout some album cover art with your posts?

Nats -

If you'd like to post album art, right click on the jpg (image) you want to post, click on properties, copy the address (URL). On the forum post, paste the URL in your post, highlight URL, click the image (Img), click the submit button.

Without creating the image it would look like this: images/smilies/icon_mrgreen.gif

The image would appear as:
icon_mrgreen.gif

Here's Captain Zings Avatar:
file.php

Rope

51pSX39qZ-L._SS500_.jpg

One of the best recordings, performances, and new arrangements of classic tunes I have ever heard. Three thumbs up!

Flint said:
51pSX39qZ-L._SS500_.jpg

One of the best recordings, performances, and new arrangements of classic tunes I have ever heard. Three thumbs up!

I saw a commercial on TV for this and immediately thought you would probably get it.

I don't know, I'll have to see if there is somewhere I can sample a few tunes.

5180FtUicnL_SS500_.jpg

CD1:
1. Carla Thomas - Gee Whiz (Look At His Eyes)
2. The Mar-Keys - Last Night - Album Version
3. William Bell - You Don't Miss Your Water
4. Booker T & The MG's - Green Onions - Single Version
5. Rufus Thomas - Walking The Dog
6. Otis Redding - I've Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now)
7. The Astors - Candy
8. Otis Redding - Respect
9. Sam & Dave - You Don't Know Like I Know
10. The Mad Lads - I Want Someone
11. Sam & Dave - Hold On I'm Coming - Album Version
12. Carla Thomas - Let Me Be Good To You
13. Mable John - Your Good Thing (Is About To End)
14. Eddie Floyd - Knock On Wood
15. Carla Thomas - B-A-B-Y
16. Otis Redding - Tramp
17. The Bar-Kays - Soul Finger
18. Albert King - Born Under A Bad Sign - Single Version
19. Sam & Dave - Soul Man
20. Otis Redding - Dock Of The Bay
21. Ollie & The Nightingales - I Got A Sure Thing
22. Booker T & The MG's - Soul Limbo
23. Eddie Floyd - I've Never Found A Girl (To Love Me Like You Do)
24. Linda Lyndell - What A Man
25. William Bell & Judy Clay - Private Number
26. Johnnie Taylor - Who's Making Love Album Version
27. William Bell - I Forgot To Be Your Lover
28. Carla Thomas - I Like What You're Doing (To Me)

CD2:
1. Booker T & The MG's - Time Is Tight
2. The Emotions - So I Can Love You - Album Version
3. Isaac Hayes - Walk On By - Single Version
4. Rufus Thomas - Do The Funky Chicken - Album Version
5. Johnnie Taylor - Jody's Got Your Girl And Gone - Album Version
6. Jean Knight - Mr. Big Stuff
7. Isaac Hayes - Never Can Say Goodbye
8. The Dramatics - Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get
9. The Staple Singers - Respect Yourself - Single Edit
10. Isaac Hayes - Theme From Shaft
11. The Bar-Kays - Son Of Shaft - Album Version
12. Little Milton - That's What Love Will Make You Do - Album Version
13. Frederick Knight - I've Been Lonely (For So Long)
14. The Soul Children - Hearsay - Album Version
15. The Dramatics - In The Rain
16. The Staple Singers - I'll Take You There
17. Mel & Tim - Starting All Over Again
18. Temprees - Dedicated To The One I Love - 45 Version
19. The Staple Singers - If You're Ready (Come Go With Me)
20. Johnnie Taylor - Cheaper To Keep Her - Album Version
21. The Soul Children - I'll Be The Other Woman - Album Version
22. Shirley Brown - Woman To Woman

51uSY30N5uL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Picked this up yesterday at a Salvation Army store near me, that has a great and everchanging cd selection. By no means a critical listening disc, but they remain true to ABBA, only making the songs "dancier".
Rob

I didn't realize that BW's Gershwin album was out. If I'm not mistaken, aren't there are few unfinished Gershwin tunes on it that the family's estate authorized Wilson to finish composing? That's be kinda cool to hear.

As for me... I'm currently listening to Jeff Trott's album "Dig Up The Astroturf".

I only picked it up because it was available on DVD-Audio, so I knew nothing about him when I bought the disc. But apparently he has penned some Sheryl Crow songs, played on World Party's "Goodbye Jumbo", toured as Tears For Fears guitarist, and produced other artists including Stevie Nicks. (Got all that info from AMG, btw.)

It's not a bad sounding disc. The music is laid back and somewhat trippy, though not overly so. Surround mix is OK with a front focus but also stuff in the back, too.

51uC4ZsMzjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Huey said:
51uSY30N5uL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Picked this up yesterday at a Salvation Army store near me, that has a great and everchanging cd selection. By no means a critical listening disc, but they remain true to ABBA, only making the songs "dancier".
Rob

A*Teens are good, to be sure! But I like S-Club 7 even better.

4YCD27.JPG

Pat Metheny Trio Live 2 CD Set

Pat Metheny Trio

2000 Warner Bros. Records
Amazon.com

Pat Metheny's brought a string of trios to bear on his music, none of them lasting as a touring band long enough to bring a session like Trio Live to life. As on Trio 99-00, Metheny's bandstand has Larry Grenadier and Bill Stewart beside him, and they burn from start to finish. Taking up 13 tunes, Metheny shows off every nuance of his talents. Stewart invokes Elvin Jones, with a lead-footed focus on tempo and a hammering power. Grenadier provides calm force, keeping time with steely firmness. Metheny is all over the map, laying back to open the session, throwing off torrents of modulated guitar synth on a 19-minute "Question and Answer" and then diving laconically into one of jazz's least laconic pieces, John Coltrane's "Giant Steps." He's granite thick on the rocking "Faith Healer" and gently harplike on "Into the Dream," grooving steadily in between. All the while, the audience is hyped and involved. The trio has chemistry like Keith Jarrett's standards project, with each member providing texture and finishing each other's musical thoughts telepathically. This you can hear on familiar tunes, as well as on 35 minutes of new material rounding out the second disc. --Andrew Bartlett

Track Listing:
Disc 1:
1. Bright Size Life
2. Question and Answer
3. Giant Steps
4. Into The Dream
5. So May It Secretly Begin
6. The Bat
7. All The Things You Are

Disc 2:
1. James
2. Unity Village
3. Soul Cowboy
4. Night Turns Into Day
5. Faith Healer
6. Counting Texas

mzpro5 said:
Flint said:
51pSX39qZ-L._SS500_.jpg

I saw a commercial on TV for this and immediately thought you would probably get it.

I don't know, I'll have to see if there is somewhere I can sample a few tunes.
As soon as I heard about it, I knew he would get it. I think I am going to order it also.

Always good to see you MZ! :D Nice choice on the Stax Collection!

Dennie

I've ordered both that Wilson/Gershwin and the Metheny/Trio (which you can get for like $6 from amazon!)...

Dennie, I have 15 - yes fifteen - Shirley Horn albums. :shock: Amazon used is your friend.

PaulyT said:
I've ordered both that Wilson/Gershwin and the Metheny/Trio (which you can get for like $6 from amazon!)...

Dennie, I have 15 - yes fifteen - Shirley Horn albums. :shock: Amazon used is your friend.

Funny you should say that. My neighbor (4 blocks away) is a "used music" dealer and has an Amazon Storefront.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/shops/stor...tplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sellerID=AXH769XQMJLPW

I get updated emails twice a week, I place an order and he delivers it. It is a great relationship! I save a lot of money buying used and in bulk. I have over 3000 albums, over 2000 CD's and a few dozen 8 tracks and cassettes, but I don't listen to those. They came in record collections that I picked up.

So YES, Amazon used is my Friend, Literaly! :mrgreen:

Dennie

Damn, yeah I'd have thousands of albums too with someone like that nextdoor!

Back