• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

superd_1001982.jpg

Urban Gypsy -- CD

Marc Antoine

1998 GRP Records

Rarely has an album title so perfectly encapsulated the essence of a hybrid project as Marc Antoine's smartly realized Urban Gypsy. Usually in rhythm and jazz, soul-based loop electronics back up horns like trumpet or sax, and flamenco guitar ... Full Descriptionstrains are left to those who can provide more Latin-styled backbeats. But Antoine creates hypnotic soundscapes both by machine, doing all the programming himself, and organically, with the help of Steve Reid and Luis Conte. On up-tempo swings, he gets the hip-hop grooving before texturing his bold acoustic precision. And his ballads allow for some clever improvisation between streams of cool strumming. A flair for Brazilian zing explodes on an all-too-short interlude before Antoine returns to his homeland for a street carnival shuffle appropriately titled "Paris Jam." All-star assistance is provided by Rachel Z (a bluesy Fender Rhodes jaunt) and Jimmy Haslip. This spectacular fusion of styles and melodic flair can take its rightful place at the top of either genre it touches upon. ~ Jonathan Widran

Track listing

1. Latin Quarter
2. Quand Le Jazz Hip-Hop
3. Sand Castle
4. Steppin'
5. Matador, El
6. First Rain
7. Urban Gypsy
8. Forget-Me-Not
9. Brazil '96
10. Paris Jam
11. Hollywood Viscount
12. Storytime

LINKY ---> http://www.amazon.com/Urban-Gypsy-M...01XF/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299450135&sr=1-1

Dennie,
The tubes sound real nice, smooth, relaxed. They are great tubes but my speakers just demand more juice. So I'm finding it lacking in the dynamics. There has been some stuff that I really preferred the tubes and other stuff sounds better with my S.S. I would love to try more powerful tubes.

Razz said:
Dennie,
The tubes sound real nice, smooth, relaxed. They are great tubes but my speakers just demand more juice. So I'm finding it lacking in the dynamics. There has been some stuff that I really preferred the tubes and other stuff sounds better with my S.S. I would love to try more powerful tubes.

Maybe tubes on the Highs and Mids, SS for the bass!! The best of both worlds! :banana-rock: :banana-dance:

I'm glad you've had a chance to experience tubes at least. Not everyone is as fortunate! :handgestures-thumbup:

Thanks for getting back to me,

Dennie

fbfa810ae7a018b39d35d110.L.jpg

Russell Malone -- CD

Russell Malone

1992 Colmubia Records

Eclectic Mix On A Tour De Force Guitar Debut CD, December 4, 2003
By Robert J. Ament "papacoolbreeze" (Ballwin, MO United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

This review is from: Russell Malone (Audio CD)
This was recorded in three separate recording sessions from August '91 thru March of '92 to accommodate the other musicians.

Four of the eleven tracks are quartet numbers with Donald Brown on piano, Robert Leslie Hurst III on bass and Yoron Israel on drums. There are three trio cuts with the late Milt Hinton on bass and Shannon Powell on drums, three duo tracks; two with old boss Harry Connick Jr. on piano (both Malone, on vocal, and Connick really seem to enjoy "I Don't Know Eough About You") and one with Milt Hinton and one guitar solo. Russell himself plays electric guitar on 6 tracks, accoustic on four tracks and classical on an original. Two of the selections, "Invisible Colors" and "Flowers For Emmett Till" display some of his compositional skills as well.The program itself covers a broad selection of songs, tempos and styles (see the listing).

All said, it's a very listenable cd with Russell Malone's style being comparable to an updated Wes Montgomery with a touch of Kenny Burrell on a pretty ballad.

Having acquired and reviewed his cd "Black Butterfly", it's obvious to me that Russell Malone will be a strong guitar presence for years to come!

1. Wives and Lovers
2. Invisible Colors
3. When I Take My Sugar to Tea
4. It's the Talk of the Town
5. St. Louis Blues
6. I Don't Know Enough About You
7. Close Your Eyes
8. London by Night
9. I Can't Believe That You're in Love With Me
10. Moonlight Serenade
11. Flowers for Emmett Till
12. Precious Lord

One of my all time favorites........... :bow-blue:

8a97619009a07c69eb146110.L.jpg

First Take -- CD

Roberta Flack

1969/1995 Atlantic Records

"First Take" still takes first place!, August 30, 2004
By Steven B. Williams "Steven B" (Los Angeles, CA)
(REAL NAME)

This review is from: First Take (Audio CD)

Here is one of those albums so pure in its artistry that it stands as one of the finest examples of what "less is more" truly means. But it wasn't until I saw Roberta in person that I understood the power of her connection with an audience. And visa versa. It was 1972, still early in her trajectory, and she had sold out what was one of her biggest concerts to date at the H.I.C arena in Honolulu. At the last minute, she fell ill and everyone had the option of getting their money back or keeping their ticket till she rescheduled several months later. No one was surprised that everyone held on to their ticket, but no one was prepared for what happened when she finally appeared. So enraptured was the audience that the second her foot hit the stage she received a standing ovation that simply would not stop. Not when she finally gave up bowing and sat down at her piano, and not when she finally buried her face in her hands and simply wept. It was the most profoundly moving concert moment I have ever seen - and she hadn't even sung a note! Such was, and is, the power of Roberta Flack and "First Take." Everything that has been written here is accurate; but, strangely, no one mentioned the one track that, for my money, is the most powerful, "Ballad of the Sad Young Men," which has only become more poignant with the added tragedy of AIDS. If ever there was an album that defines musical excellence, it would have to be the one that got its name when it was recorded on its "First Take." But when you do it right the first time, one take is all you need, isn't it?

1. "Compared to What" (Gene McDaniels) - 5:16
2. "Angelitos Negros" (Andrés Eloy Blanco, Manuel Alvarez Maciste) - 6:56
3. "Our Ages or Our Hearts" (Robert Ayers, Donny Hathaway) - 6:09
4. "I Told Jesus" (Traditional) - 6:09
5. "Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye" (Leonard Cohen) - 4:08
6. "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" (Ewan MacColl) - 5:22
7. "Tryin' Times" (Donny Hathaway, Leroy Hutson) - 5:08
8. "Ballad of the Sad Young Men" (Fran Landesman, Tommy Wolf) - 7:00

LINKY ----> http://www.amazon.com/First-Take-Ro...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1299460705&sr=1-1

e72e81b0c8a03bf8ad2da110.L.jpg

Bridge Over Troubled Water -- CD

Simon & Garfunkel

1970/2001 Columbia Legacy <----- :handgestures-thumbup:

Amazon.com essential recording

No one can say Simon & Garfunkel went out with a whimper. The popular duo's 1970 swan song produced four hit singles and won six Grammy awards, including Record, Album, and Song of the Year. An involving mix of sweeping epics ("The Boxer," the title track) and breezy throwaways (a live cover of the Everly Brothers' "Bye Bye Love," the rock & roll trifle "Baby Driver"), Bridge was one of the most popular albums of its era. What's particularly striking about this collection is how brightly lesser-acclaimed songs like "So Long Frank Lloyd Wright" and the gorgeous "The Only Living Boy in New York" shine. (The 2001 reissue adds a pair of demos to the original work, including the traditional "Feuilles-O.")--Steven Stolder

Side 1

1. "Bridge Over Troubled Water" – 4:52
Recorded: November 9, 1969 [3]
2. "El Condor Pasa (If I Could)" (Daniel Alomía Robles, English lyrics by Paul Simon, arranged by Jorge Milchberg) – 3:06
Recorded: November 2, 1969
3. "Cecilia" – 2:55
Recorded: November 2, 1969
4. "Keep the Customer Satisfied" – 2:33
Recorded: October 27, 1969
5. "So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright" – 3:41
Recorded: October 28, 1969

Side 2

1. "The Boxer" – 5:08
Recorded: November 16, 1968
2. "Baby Driver" – 3:14
Recorded: November 19, 1968
3. "The Only Living Boy in New York" – 3:58
Recorded: November 15, 1969
4. "Why Don't You Write Me" – 2:45
Recorded: June 13, 1969
5. "Bye Bye Love" (Felice and Boudleaux Bryant) (live recording from Ames, Iowa) – 2:55
Recorded: November 14, 1969
6. "Song for the Asking" – 1:39
Recorded: November 1, 1969

Bonus tracks (2001 CD reissue)

1. "Feuilles-O" [Demo] (Traditional) – 1:45
Recorded: August 11, 1969
2. "Bridge over Troubled Water" [Demo Take 6] – 4:46
Recorded: August 13, 1969

ALERT: On Tuesday March 8th, the SUPERDUPER DELUXE EDITION CD/DVD Comes out....

51h8AOP8KeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

LINKY ---> http://www.amazon.com/Bridge-Over-T...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1299464133&sr=1-1

Dennie said:
ALERT: On Tuesday March 8th, the SUPERDUPER DELUXE EDITION CD/DVD Comes out....

51h8AOP8KeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

LINKY ---> http://www.amazon.com/Bridge-Over-T...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1299464133&sr=1-1
This has me intrigued, but the review on Amazon didn't tell me what I wanted to hear.

This is definitely in my "Top 10 albums of all time" list, but I've always wished it could be re-recorded, or at least re-mixed. The nasty artificial reverb (spring or plate?), and the overly-hot-recorded violins (mic, preamp, amp, cutter?) at the end of the title cut, ruin it for me (and Art's vocal on that track is one of the most stunning of all time).

I'm gonna have to do some digging on this one. As I said, I'm intrigued.... :shhh:

717cc0a398a071ac89b3d110.L.jpg

Old Ways -- 24k Gold CD

Neil Young

1996 MFSL Ultradisc II

"Young is countrified & having a ball", August 8, 2000
By J. Lovins "Mr. Jim" (Missouri-USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER) (VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)

This review is from: Old Ways (Audio CD)

A straight ahead country album from Neil Young featuring Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings - "OLD WAYS", originally released in 1985- is traveling down the road again with a country band International Harvesters.

Guest appearances by some notables as - Bela Fleck on banjo, Hargus "Pig" Robbins on piano, Rufus Thibodeaux on fiddle, Ralph Mooney on steel guitar, Marty Stuart on mandolin and Terry McMillan on harmonica, plus his usual sidemen Ben Keith, Spooner Oldham, Tim Drummond and Karl Himmel.

This re-mastered album is pure fun, sounds better than ever. Give a listen and see if you don't agree - "OLD WAYS" is a real down-home barn-raisin' time!

Side one

1. "The Wayward Wind" – (Herb Newman, Stanley Lebowsky) 3:12
2. "Get Back to the Country" – 2:50
3. "Are There Any More Real Cowboys?" – 3:03
4. "Once an Angel" – 3:55
5. "Misfits" – 5:07

Side two

1. "California Sunset" – 2:56
2. "Old Ways" – 3:08
3. "My Boy" – 3:37
4. "Bound for Glory" – 5:48
5. "Where Is the Highway Tonight?" – 3:02

LINKY ----> http://www.amazon.com/Old-Ways-Neil-Young/dp/B000000IUX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299466011&sr=1-1

2c0551c88da0600ecccdd110.L.jpg

Wrecking Ball -- CD

Emmylou Harris

1995 Asylum Records

Emmylou Harris's formula has been to match a crack crew of left-of-center country players with an assortment of tasteful tunes and head into the studio with a nonintrusive producer. Now and then (most notably the 1980 bluegrass collection Roses in the Snow), she tampers with her basic blueprint and comes up with something exceptional. Wrecking Ball is one of those. Daniel Lanois's radiant production no longer seems as fresh as it did on albums by U2, Peter Gabriel, and Bob Dylan, but here its hum enfolds Harris like an electric blanket. Lanois's usual recruits, including U2 drummer Larry Mullen Jr., and New Orleans regulars Malcolm Burn, Brian Blade, and Daryl Johnson, lay down a solid base for Harris's weary vocals and Lanois's buzzing guitar. At its core, Wrecking Ball seems almost too finely calculated. Hot producer plus sought-after songwriters plus venerated performer frequently totals to deadly bore. Here, however, all that calculation adds up to something. --Steven Stolder

1. "Where Will I Be?" [with Daniel Lanois] (Daniel Lanois) – 4:15
2. "Goodbye" (Steve Earle) – 4:53
3. "All My Tears" (Julie Miller) – 3:42
4. "Wrecking Ball" (Neil Young) – 4:49
5. "Goin' Back to Harlan" (Anna McGarrigle) – 4:51
6. "Deeper Well" (David Olney, Lanois, Emmylou Harris) – 4:19
7. "Every Grain of Sand" (Bob Dylan) – 3:56
8. "Sweet Old World" (Lucinda Williams) – 5:06
9. "May This Be Love" [with Daniel Lanois] (Jimi Hendrix) – 4:45
10. "Orphan Girl" (Gillian Welch) – 3:15
11. "Blackhawk" (Daniel Lanois) – 4:28
12. "Waltz Across Texas Tonight" (Rodney Crowell, Emmylou Harris) – 4:46

LINKY -----> http://www.amazon.com/Wrecking-Ball...2HKI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299468003&sr=1-1

af39225b9da0bf04efedc010.L.jpg

From The Cradle -- CD

Eric Clapton

1994 Reprise Records

Amazon.com

The full-tilt blues album that Clapton had been promising for years, From the Cradle proves the guitarist's enduring devotion to a form he had long relegated to merely a flavor in his music rather than the main ingredient. Clapton's singing on the album is somewhat mannered; he tries to compete with original versions of these songs by Muddy Waters, Charles Brown, and others, and there's no way he's going to win that battle. Still, you can feel the emotional connection Clapton has with these songs, and guitar aficionados will swoon over his fretwork on songs such as "Third Degree," "Someday After a While," and the incendiary "Groanin' the Blues." --Daniel Durchholz

1. "Blues Before Sunrise" (Leroy Carr) – 2:58 ; this version is inspired also by Elmore James's rendition of the song
2. "Third Degree" (Eddie Boyd/Willie Dixon) – 5:07
3. "Reconsider Baby" (Lowell Fulson) – 3:20
4. "Hoochie Coochie Man" (Willie Dixon) – 3:16 ; originally performed by Muddy Waters
5. "Five Long Years" (Eddie Boyd) – 4:47
6. "I'm Tore Down" (Sonny Thompson) – 3:02 ; originally performed by Freddie King
7. "How Long Blues" (Leroy Carr) – 3:09
8. "Goin' Away Baby" (Lane) – 4:00
9. "Blues Leave Me Alone" (Lane) – 3:36
10. "Sinner's Prayer" (Lowell Fulson/Glenn) – 3:20
11. "Motherless Child" (Robert Hicks) – 2:57
12. "It Hurts Me Too" (Elmore James) – 3:17
13. "Someday After A While (You'll Be Sorry)" (Freddie King/Sonny Thompson) – 4:27
14. "Standin' Round Crying" (McKinley Morganfield) – 3:39
15. "Driftin'" (Brown/Johnny Moore/Williams) (Johnny Moore's Three Blazers) – 3:10
16. "Groaning The Blues" (Willie Dixon) – 6:05 ; originally performed by Otis Rush

LINKY ----> http://www.amazon.com/Cradle-Eric-Clapton/dp/B000002MTU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299514864&sr=1-1

Today is Cooking day and I am making a Cajun Chicken Soup and listening to......

3bb2e03ae7a082765159c110.L.jpg

Blues -- CD

Eric Clapton

1999 Polydor Records

Amazon.com

There's a telling subtext to this retrospective of Eric Clapton blues sides. Culled from recordings cut between 1970 (the Layla sessions) and 1980 (when Clapton cut his final Polydor album, Another Ticket), these sides finds EC exploring his beloved blues while in a fragile state of mind and body. After all, he was on heroin when he concocted Layla, and though he kicked that habit in the early '70s, he continued to test his tolerance for alcohol throughout the decade. When you think of the Clapton of the '60s, you think of the fire and ice of his playing with the Yardbirds, John Mayall, and Cream. When you think of his '70s playing, it's wearier and perhaps more reflective. (It was easy to mistake melancholic for mellow at the time.) The 35 selections included on these two discs find the temporarily deflated rock superstar leaning on the blues for support as he draws on likes of Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, and Little Walter for inspiration. Hardcore fans will appreciate previously unreleased versions of Bo Diddley's "Before You Accuse Me," a solo take on the traditional "Alberta," a 1974 cover of Willie Dixon's "Meet Me (Down at the Bottom), and a remixed live 1976 version of "Further on Up the Road" with Freddy King sitting in. Just about anyone, however, will be able to appreciate how this music reflects Clapton's strengths as a musician... and weaknesses as a man. --Steven Stolder
Disc one (studio blues)

1. "Before You Accuse Me (Take a Look at Yourself)" (Ellas McDaniel) – 4:39 Previously unreleased acoustic outtake from Backless
2. "Mean Old World" (Walter Jacobs) – 3:50
3. "Ain't That Lovin' You" (Jimmy Reed) – 5:26
4. "The Sky Is Crying" (Elmore James) – 3:58
5. "Cryin'" (Eric Clapton) – 2:52
6. "Have You Ever Loved a Woman" (Billy Myles) – 6:51 - Derek and the Dominos
7. "Alberta" (Traditional) – 2:40 Previously unreleased outtake from Slowhand
8. "Early in the Morning" (Traditional) – 7:55
9. "Give Me Strength" (Clapton) – 2:51
10. "Meet Me (Down at the Bottom)" (Willie Dixon) – 7:04 Previously unreleased outtake from 461 Ocean Boulevard
11. "County Jail Blues" (Alfred Fields) – 3:56
12. "Floating Bridge" (Sleepy John Estes) – 6:33
13. "Blow Wind Blow" (Muddy Waters) – 2:59
14. "To Make Somebody Happy" (Clapton) – 5:11)
15. "Before You Accuse Me (Take a Look at Yourself)" (McDaniel) – 4:39 Previously unreleased electric outtake from Backless

Disc two (live blues)

1. "Stormy Monday" (T-Bone Walker) – 12:49
2. "Worried Life Blues" (Big Maceo Merriweather) – 5:57
3. "Early in the Morning" (Traditional) – 7:11
4. "Have You Ever Loved a Woman" (Billy Myles) – 7:47
5. "Wonderful Tonight" (Clapton/Michael Kamen) – 6:23
6. "Kind Hearted Woman" (Robert Johnson) – 5:11
7. "Double Trouble" (Otis Rush) – 8:02
8. "Driftin' Blues" (Charles Brown/Johnny Moore/Eddie Williams) – 6:57
9. "Crossroads" (Robert Johnson) – 5:49
10. "Further on Up the Road" (Joe Medwich Veasey/Don Robey) – 8:38 Previously unreleased

LINKY -----> http://www.amazon.com/Blues-Eric-Clapton/dp/B00000JNMN/ref=pd_sim_m_1

51CN6Qb7tBL._SS400_.jpg

rel. 2009

Editorial Review:
Amazon.com
"For The Heroines, Tony Joe White invited some of his favorite female friends to the party. Unlike Hollywood movie stars, White likes his costars within spittin' distance of his own age. Shelby Lynne's lines in "Can't Go Back Home" fit like a glove; her voice is reminiscent of White's own, like someone simultaneously whispering sweet nothings and the secrets of the universe into your ear. Lucinda Williams, Emmylou Harris, and Jessi Colter also join the swamp fox on a record that provides plenty of what one tune aptly calls "Back Porch Therapy." The Heroines manages to tweak your libido and save your soul, magically, at once."
~ Michael Ross

1. Gabriella
2. Can't Go Back Home
3. Ice Cream Man
4. Closing in on the Fire
5. Back Porch Therapy
6. Playa del Carmen Nights
7. Wild Wolf Calling Me
8. Rich Woman Blues
9. Robbin' My Honeycomb
10. Fireflies in the Storm
11. Chaos Boogie
12. Gabriella's Affair

listenin' to some good Delta Blues this morining . . . .

. :handgestures-thumbup:

589660.jpg

Intersection -- CD

Earl Thomas

2005 Memphis Int'l Records

Tennessee-born, Northern California-based Earl Thomas finally traveled to Memphis late last year where, with some help from great players, collaborators and a producer who knew when to intervene and when to stand clear, an album unlike any he'd ... Full Descriptiondone before was birthed. Produced by Memphis International's David Less and with backing by a group of Memphis all-stars, Intersection is an album that solidifies what began with Soul'd!, his first album for the label: Earl Thomas is a vocal force to be reckoned with.

"I'm a vocal stylist and I use my voice just as any other instrument in the band. We all brought out the best in each other - all of us, the players and the background singers, alike, were strong and each brought something unique." The album combines elements of blues, soul, rock and, even, jazz with a freshness of approach and attitude. It's the place where all these things meet, hence the title that reflects the crossroads of styles and concepts.

The songs for Intersection came from a variety of collaborations and sources including new compositions from a gifted team of Danish writers and one that's from the mind and pen of Earl and Memphis' own Earl Randle who has written for Denise LaSalle, O.V. Wright, Ann Peebles and Al Green. In keeping with the genre-breaking theme, there are two rock classics - T. Rex' "Bang A Gong" and Jagger & Richards' "Brown Sugar" that get fully "Earlized" here.

No less an icon than Ike Turner, a talent scout without peer in American music, having discovered Howlin' Wolf, B.B. King and a certain Annie Mae Bullock who would later be known as Tina, is an Earl Thomas fan. Says Ike in the liner notes to Intersection: "Not everybody who sings gets my attention but this guy sure did," going on to characterize Earl as "one of the most entertaining people you'll ever meet."

The mutual admiration led Earl to record "Working Together" that had been a hit for Ike and the former Ms. Bullock many year before. Its message of harmony takes on new meaning in the current day environment of polarizing politics. Says Earl: ""If I could get it heard in the White House I would have accomplished something. That song is so perfect for these times."

Intersection is where things come together and Earl Thomas is the man who makes that kind of harmony his first order of business.

Although Earl Thomas was initially marketed as a blues artist, he is really more of a soul singer in the classic 1970s Al Green mold, and nothing on Intersection, his third album (and second on the Memphis International label) falls very close to the blues camp. Recorded at Ardent Studios in Memphis, Intersection mixes soul with rock and funk (and even some light Europop elements), and while Thomas isn't quite yet the honeyed singer that Green is, neither is he full of the kind of overdramatic melismatic keening that passes for contemporary soul these days. Retro it is, full of Stax-like horns and the kind of Hammond B3 organ sound that Hi Records specialized in, and Thomas holds his own here, finding interesting new corners in versions of Ike Turner's "Workin' Together" and a funked-up "Bang a Gong" (yep, the T. Rex song). The clear highlight on Intersection, though, is the final cut, a churning version of the Rolling Stones' "Brown Sugar" that brings out more of the story and history inherent in the song, mostly because Thomas clearly enunciates the lyrics. We really haven't seen all that Thomas is capable of yet, and while Intersection is a solid album, even more than that, in spots it still feels transitional, and one gets the feeling that it might be the next one he records that will really put it all together. ~ Steve Leggett

Personnel: Earl Thomas (vocals); Steve Selvidge (guitar); Jim Spake (saxophone); Scott Thompson (trumpet); Kurt Clayton (keyboards); Dave Smith (bass guitar); Edward Cleveland (drums).

Living Blues (p.54) - "Earl Thomas's meld of pop, light funk, and jazz-tinged R&B is reminiscent of the kind of crossover work often associated with '70s-era artists like Boz Skaggs."

1. Workin’ Together
2. The Higher Ground (Everything Is Alright)
3. The Bright Side Of You (Let Me See)
4. Bang A Gong
5. Sweet Like Sugar
6. The Lucky One
7. Life OF My Broken Heart
8. No Two Wrongs
9. Your Daddy’s E
10. Brown Sugar

LINKY ---> http://www.amazon.com/Intersection-...7NX0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299549509&sr=1-1

Today's work truck music...

9764729fd7a0f970d3b60110.L.jpg

Rumors -- CD

Fleetwood Mac

1977/1990 Warner Bros. Records

With the pop sense of Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks now leading the band, Fleetwood Mac moved completely away from blues and created this homage to love, Southern California-style. Each songwriter makes his or her presence known: Nicks for her dreamy, mystical reveries ("Dreams," "Gold Dust Woman:); Christine McVie for her ultra-catchy slogans ("Don't Stop"); and Buckingham for his deceptively simple pop songs ("Second Hand News," "Go Your Own Way"). "The Chain," written collectively, is the Mac at their most dramatic. But it's the ensemble playing, the elastic rhythms, and lush harmonies that transform the material into classic FM fare. --Rob O'Connor

Side one
No. Title Writer(s) Length
1. "Second Hand News" Buckingham 2:43
2. "Dreams" Nicks 4:14
3. "Never Going Back Again" Buckingham 2:02
4. "Don't Stop" C. McVie 3:11
5. "Go Your Own Way" Buckingham 3:38
6. "Songbird" C. McVie 3:20
Side two
No. Title Writer(s) Length
7. "The Chain" Buckingham, Fleetwood, C. McVie, J. McVie, Nicks 4:28
8. "You Make Loving Fun" C. McVie 3:31
9. "I Don't Want to Know" Nicks 3:11
10. "Oh Daddy" C. McVie 3:54
11. "Gold Dust Woman" Nicks 4:51

LINKY -----> http://www.amazon.com/Rumours-Fleetwood-Mac/dp/B000002KGT/ref=pd_sim_m_6

51cve1-VJiL._SS400_.jpg

Brass Attitude -- CD

Maynard Ferguson & Big Bop Nouveau

1998 Concord Jazz

Maynard's best album in many years!!!, March 18, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Brass Attitude (Audio CD)

With "Brass Attitude", Maynard has perfected the "little big band", his preferred format for the last several years. Exciting, richly textured arrangements performed by Ferguson's exceptionally talented young musicians make this Farguson's' best peformance since 1970's "MF Horn". Maynard makes greater use of his lyrical skills on fluegelhorn here, especially on the haunting "Caruso", and tracks include everything from a jazz waltz ("Waltz for Nicole"), to a bluesy feauture for the wonderful scat singer and baritone saxophonist Denis Diblasio ("The Lip"). For long time Maynard fans, there are plenty of high notes; for potential new fans, though, this is an album with a nice balance of swingers and slower, romantic pieces. Worth a listen, then, for anyone who's either loved MF for years, or is curious about large group jazz.

Track listing

1. Just Friends
2. Waltz for Nicole
3. I Love You
4. Milk of the Moon
5. Misra-Dhenuka
6. Knee Deep in Rio
7. Erica and Sandra
8. Lip, The
9. Caruso

LINKY ----> http://www.amazon.com/Brass-Attitud...DCVP/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299634747&sr=1-1

Rope said:
^^^

Can that man toot a trumpet, or what?

Rope
A jazz group I used to love in the Oregon District of Dayton, OH, had an incredible keyboard player; he got tapped to join the "Big Bop Neavou". I think Maynard had to go to a smaller band, live music venues just can't support a large live group on tour anymore... :( Maynard was a great musical mentor, honing young talent and releasing them to their own careers, like Miles, Duke, and Frank...
RIP Maynard... :cry:

Back