• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Well, I received a new list from my "used music dealer" the other day and this was on it, so I picked it up and giving it a first spin.

Thanks for posting this one Topper! :eusa-clap:

a33b793509a09c6e62952110.L.jpg

Mr. Lucky -- CD

John Lee Hooker (and a bunch of his friends :handgestures-thumbup: )

1991 Pointblank Records

Product Description

Released in 1991 on Pointblank/Virgin, this audiophile treat finds the 'Hook in some very special company. Co-producers Roy Rogers, Ry Cooder and Carlos Santana (who all contribute musically on this title as well) persuaded the likes of Albert Collins, Robert Cray, John Hammond, Johnnie Johnson, Van Morrison, Keith Richards, Nick Lowe and Johnny Winter among others to join in and the result is one terrific record. This original analog recording is beautifully recorded and a highlight to the ump-teenth rejuvenation in the 'Hooks career.

Except where otherwise noted, all songs composed by John Lee Hooker.

"I Want to Hug You" (Hooker, Al Smith) – 2:52
"Mr. Lucky" (Hooker, Al Smith) – 4:38
"Back Stabbers" (Hooker, Smith) – 5:01
"This Is Hip" – 3:23
"I Cover the Waterfront" – 6:39
"Highway 13" – 6:32
"Stripped Me Naked" (Hooker, Benny Rietveld, Carlos Santana, Chester Thompson) – 4:18
"Susie" – 4:23
"Crawlin' King Snake" (Tony Hollins, Bernard Besman, Hooker) – 3:20
"Father Was a Jockey" – 4:58

Kenny Baker – saxophone
Gaylord Birch – drums
Bowen Brown – drums
Albert Collins – guitar
Tom Compton – drums
Ry Cooder – guitar
Richard Cousins – bass
Robert Cray – guitar, vocals
Maurice Cridlin – bass
Steve Ehrmann – bass
Terry Evans – vocals
Jeff Ganz – bass
William "Bill" Greene – vocals
Jim Guyet – bass
John Hammond, Jr. – harmonica, slide guitar
Kevin Hayes – drums
John Lee Hooker – guitar, vocals
Johnnie Johnson – piano
Booker T. Jones – organ
Deacon Jones – organ
Tim Kaihatsu – guitar
Jim Keltner – drums
Bobby King – vocals
Nick Lowe – bass
Scott Mathews – drums
Van Morrison – guitar, vocals
Michael Osborn – guitar
Karl Perazzo – timbales
Jimmy Pugh – organ
Raul Rekow – conga
Keith Richards – guitar
Benny Rietveld – bass
Carlos Santana – guitar
Larry Taylor – bass
Chester Thompson – keyboards
Johnny Winter – guitar

I found it.....

61S4H1D%2BwVL.jpg

ADELE 21 CD

Adele

2011 Columbia Records

Beautiful. February 22, 2011
By Madeline (USA)
This review is from: 21

Adele's 19 was strong. 21 is simply timeless.

In the past two years, Adele has refined and reinvented her unique sound that always puts her aching yet powerful vocals and lyrics at the forefront. These are songs that could have been released in the 60s as easily as 30 years from now. Adele has injected her trademark piano ballads with the best from several different musical genres including Americana roots and country, r&b, blues and gospel. The music is exciting and simply is. It lives, breathes.

There are a few tracks towards the middle that are remarkable only because Adele sings them-- and while they aren't quite filler, they aren't as memorable as standout tracks like "Rolling in the Deep," "Set Fire to the Rain," "Someone Like You," and "Turning Tables." Adele set the bar so high with these songs that anything else short of magic, is sort of a letdown. However, as a whole--this album so involves you that you can feel these stories as your own.

I played a couple songs for my mom, who at forty years older than I, generally criticizes my music taste, and the first thing she said was "Wow, this girl really knows how to write a story--those songs are beautiful."

21 is haunting, pulsing, soaring and very intimate. It's music that will be remembered.
1. "Rolling in the Deep" Adele Adkins, Paul Epworth Epworth 3:48
2. "Rumour Has It" Adkins, Ryan Tedder Tedder 3:43
3. "Turning Tables" Adkins, Tedder Jim Abbiss 4:10
4. "Don't You Remember" Adkins, Dan Wilson Rick Rubin 4:03
5. "Set Fire to the Rain" Adkins, Fraser T. Smith Smith 4:02
6. "He Won't Go" Adkins, Epworth Rubin 4:38
7. "Take It All" Adkins, Eg White Abbiss 3:48
8. "I'll Be Waiting" Adkins, Epworth Epworth 4:01
9. "One and Only" Adkins, Dan Wilson, Greg Wells Rubin 5:48
10. "Lovesong" Robert Smith, Simon Gallup, Roger O'Donnell, Porl Thompson, Lol Tolhurst, Boris Williams Rubin 5:16
11. "Someone Like You" Adkins, Wilson Wilson, Adkins 4:

f6aacdf083bee5dda18e2da002b.jpg

This came out in September of last year, I just became aware of it. It's from 1971, not great video but done in 16:9 Stereo, and there is precious little WR on bvideo. Good stuff! :text-bravo:

Dennie said:
Tee said:
ADELE-21-COVER-ART.jpg

Her first disc was really good but this one is excellent!!!
My buddy came over and insisted I plug his Ipod in and I did and it was Adele 19 and I really enjoyed it. So, I ordered Adele 21 when it came out and I am glad I did.

:text-bravo:

Dennie, now where did I put it? I'm going to have to find it and give it another spin, Thanks Tee!

Y'know, I'm of kind of mixed opinion on this one. A friend brought this over recently and I ripped it into my system to check it out. I like the first track. The second song makes me want to digitally burn the entire album... :text-imsorry: Yeah she's got a great voice but musically I wasn't all that interested. I didn't even make it through the whole album before I had to switch it off. I'll probably give it another try later when I'm in a different mood; yesterday was kind of a bad day anyway (work stress).

Pauly please give it another listen, track two is not my fav on the disc but the rest has a lot to offer just give it a shot.

My first listen toe Adele 21 was like Pauly's. Not that crazy about it.

I read a review that said "Kick back with a glass a wine and relax".

Not really.......

Will give it another try in the future.

Today's work truck music...

0c59c060ada0e3d83eed0210.L.jpg

In Between Dreams -- CD

Jack Johnson

2005 Brushfire Records

Amazon.com

For a man who gets his biggest kicks surfing the waves and strumming his guitar on a lonely beach in native Hawaii, singer-songwriter Jack Johnson has carved out quite a remarkable career on the mainland. His 2003 album, On and On, debuted at No. 3 on The Billboard 200 and subsequently went platinum on the back of hit single "The Horizon Has Been Defeated." The follow-up, meanwhile, seems destined to shine even brighter. The drifting chords and soft voice are still in place, only now Johnson's instinct for melody has sharpened alongside his ability to self-edit. These small concessions make third album, In Between Dreams, his most conspicuous, particularly on tracks like the three-minute relationship drama, "Sitting, Waiting, Wishing," and "Breakdown," a song he originally recorded for Handsome Boy Modeling School's White People album remade here to reveal its full stripped-down loveliness. Imagine all the coconuts it will buy. -- Aidin Vaziri

1. "Better Together" 3:27
2. "Never Know" 3:32
3. "Banana Pancakes" 3:12
4. "Good People" 3:28
5. "No Other Way" 3:09
6. "Sitting, Waiting, Wishing" 3:03
7. "Staple It Together" Jack Johnson, Merlo Podlewski 3:16
8. "Situations" 1:17
9. "Crying Shame" Jack Johnson, Adam Topol 3:06
10. "If I Could" 2:25
11. "Breakdown" Jack Johnson, Dan Nakamura & Paul Huston 3:32
12. "Belle" 1:43
13. "Do You Remember" 2:24
14. "Constellations" 3:21

514oEO6HR3L._SS400_.jpg

Searchin' For A Rainbow -- CD

The Marshall Tucker Band

1975/1990 AJK Music

One of My All Time Faves, March 8, 2003
By G. J Wiener (Westchester, NY USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER) (REAL NAME)

This review is from: Searchin for a Rainbow (Audio CD)

A definite five star recording. Eight songs and all of them classics to my ears. Love the poignant opening track, Fire On The Mountain with a stunning acoustic guitar arrangement. Numbers like Walking' And Talkin' and Bob Away My Blues have a soothing jazz feel. During my college days I can recall a die hard Motown/Soul fan liking these two tunes. It probably was one of his few forays into rock and country music. Can't You See is just brimming with a rock n roll spirit as Toy Caldwell's vocal and guitar solo are both just super in a live setting. The Marshall Tucker Band certainly cover a lot of ground on this fine release. The instrumental arrangments just captivate my ear. Pick it up at once as I feel its their best work.

Side One

"Fire on the Mountain" - 3:53 (George McCorkle)
"Searchin' for a Rainbow" - 3:48
"Walkin' and Talkin'" - 2:25
"Virginia" - 4:54

Side Two

"Bob Away My Blues" - 2:42
"Keeps Me from All Wrong" - 4:13
"Bound and Determined" - 4:20
"Can't You See" (Live) - 6:25

a654e03ae7a0769e61af0210.L.jpg

Boston -- CD

Boston

1976/1990 Epic Records

Amazon.com

"Better music through science" was the Epic Records-coined slogan that Boston leader Tom Scholz hated, but this masterwork of studio-happy, high-school-parking-lot music earned it. Scholz fine-tuned his overdubbed guitar orchestra to a pitch that a thousand subsequent album-rockers couldn't resist. And why should they? Where the band's later records were hardly worthy of note, Boston pulls together classic after classic: "More Than a Feeling," "Peace of Mind," "Hitch a Ride." The pseudo-cosmic ambience invites scoffs as the year 2000 recedes into the past, but it's really just part of the disc's charm. Let it take you home tonight. --Rickey Wright

Side one

No. Title Length
1. "More Than a Feeling" 4:45
2. "Peace of Mind" 5:02
3. "Foreplay/Long Time" 7:47

Side two

No. Title Length
1. "Rock & Roll Band" 3:00
2. "Smokin'" (Scholz, Brad Delp) 4:22
3. "Hitch a Ride" 4:11
4. "Something About You" 3:48
5. "Let Me Take You Home Tonight" (Delp) 4:43

I own that vinyl, Half-Speed Mastered.

Rope

Not to be confused with Half-Speed Masterbation, which is a full speed sport. :happy-smileygiantred:

Dennie said:
Irony here. Today was the first day of Spring where the temp got over 70 degrees; blue sky and fluffy clouds. I put the top down on the convertible and drove around enjoying it. I've had a "first day of Spring" cassette that I made two decades ago, the above Boston album on one side and the Doobie Brother's greatest hits on the other side. Best Spring driving tape ever, but my vehicles don't play cassettes anymore... :cry:
I need to make a CD...

Rope said:
I own that vinyl, Half-Speed Mastered.

Rope
Sweet! :music-rockout:

I bet it sounds better than Botch's Cassette!! :laughing-rolling:

Hey Botch, that's why they made Ipods! :angry-banghead:

Dennie

Dennie said:
I bet it sounds better than Botch's Cassette!! :laughing-rolling:

Hey Botch, that's why they made Ipods! :angry-banghead:

Dennie
Don't MAKE me come over there! :angry-tappingfoot: iPods are made for people who listen to Britney Spears.

51aMrcI-sZL._SS500_.jpg

Highwayman -- CD :text-bravo:

Waylon Jennings - Willie Nelson - Johnny Cash - Kris Kristofferson

1985/1990 Columbia Records

Amazon.com

The myth of the American West--lawless lands, resolute heroes--takes on a grave, elegiac quality on this first, and best, collaboration from Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, and Kris Kristofferson. There's little bravado here, just a sense of ticking time, of frontiers lost, cowboys singing their last songs. In the end, Highwayman works because it fuses mythic, serious material with the artists' own legendary personas and well-aged voices. Lesser lights would be lucky to muddle through Jimmy Webb's epic title track; these four cagey desperados make every fantastic image believable. If Chips Moman surrounds them with less than subtle layers of guitars, keyboards, and drums, he does update vintage progressive country in a suitably cosmic but rugged fashion. Romantic legends and production values notwithstanding, it's the tough, wise singing here that's the real draw. --Roy Kasten

"Highwayman" (Jimmy Webb) – 3:00
"The Last Cowboy Song" (Ed Bruce) – 3:08
"Jim, I Wore a Tie Today" (Cindy Walker) – 3:20
"Big River" (Johnny Cash) – 2:45
"Committed to Parkview" (Cash) – 3:18
"Desperados Waiting for a Train" (Guy Clark) – 4:34
"Deportee (Plane Wreck at Los Gatos)" (Woody Guthrie) – 3:45
"Welfare Line" (Paul Kennerley) – 2:34
"Against the Wind" (Bob Seger) – 3:46
"The Twentieth Century Is Almost Over" (Steve Goodman, John Prine) – 3:33

Botch said:
:teasing-neener:

:eek:bscene-buttred:

I have to admit, I love my Ipod. I can carry a large collection of music with me (80gb) it is all ripped in lossless and sounds great in the car or docked in the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, HT.

Although I typically don't listen to it for 2 channel music, it sure is handy for those "First days of spring"!! :twocents-mytwocents:

Brittney Spears...... :angry-tappingfoot:

Dennie :teasing-tease:

Back