• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

cede53a09da01ee4483a6110.L.jpg

The Best of George Harrison -- CD

George Harrison

1976/1990 Apple/Capitol Records

Amazon.com

As the Beatles' perpetual dark horse, Harrison rarely got the chance to write and sing more than one or two songs per album. But once the band split up, the former "quiet one" was quick out of the gate with a series of memorable hit singles that seamlessly merged his budding spirituality and an epic, Phil Spector-inspired pop sensibility. This collection, originally released in 1976, combines seven of Harrison's best-known Beatles numbers, including "Something," "If I Needed Someone," "Here Comes the Sun," and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" with a half-dozen early solo hits including "My Sweet Lord," "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)," "You," and "What Is Life." As such, it's a good entry-level Harrison primer. --Scott Schinder

1. Something
2. If I Needed Someone
3. Here Comes The Sun
4. Taxman
5. Think For Yourself
6. For You Blue
7. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
8. My Sweet Lord
9. Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)
10. You
11. Bangladesh
12. Dark Horse
13. What Is Life

My last one for the evening...

51mx5hrDsaL._SS400_.jpg

Haunted Heart -- CD

Hilary Kole

2009 Justin Time Records

Beautiful Music, September 24, 2009
By Howard J. Williams - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Haunted Heart (Audio CD)

Hilary Kole's musical voice and style fit the timeless quality of all good ballad singers. Two songs particularly embody the best in musical storytelling. "Blackberry Winter" will make you cry and make you want to play it again. "The Snake" is a cautionary tale for all ages that brings a shudder and a chuckle. The Title song is sung almost as well as Jo Stafford sings it, and that is high praise indeed. This CD is one that you will try to wear out by replaying it.

1. It's Love
2. There's A Small Hotel
3. 'Deed I Do
4. I Didn't Know About You
5. Better Than Anything
6. Like A Lover
7. Blackberry Winter
8. The Snake
9. Old Boyfriends
10. How Am I To Know
11. What'll I Do
12. You For Me
13. Haunted Heart

51f-Qgy1rGL._SS500_.jpg

Saxuality -- CD

Candy Dulfer

2009 Sony

A listening experience like no other, September 12, 2005
By Joseph Tidline (Phoenix, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Saxuality (Audio CD)

The first time I exeperienced Candy Dulfer's music was on the Batman Soundtrack back in 1989. The song was Partyman by Prince and at the time I found myself focusing more on the person playing the sax instead of Prince's singing. Little did I know it was a woman playing sax and boy could she play. I later found out that woman was Candy Dulfer and a few years later I picked up this album after hearing the incredible track Lily Was Here. This track alone is worth the price of the CD but the rest of the album is just as good. Candy Dulfer plays with such passion and sexuality that it stirs up emotions within you. Listening to her music is like being transported to another time and place. Candy Dulfer is a great musician who does not get the attention and respect that she deserves. I highly recommend this CD and her other titles as well.

"Pee Wee" (Ulco Bed) – 3:45
"Saxuality" (Ulco Bed, Candy Dulfer) – 4:27
"So What" (Miles Davis; arr. Bed/Dulfer) – 4:54
"Jazzid" (Ulco Bed, Candy Dulfer) – 4:21
"Heavenly City" (Ulco Bed, Candy Dulfer) – 6:03
"Donja" (Ulco Bed) – 5:17
"There Goes The Neighbourhood" (Ulco Bed) – 3:55
"Mr. Lee" (Ulco Bed) – 4:52
"Get The Funk" (Ulco Bed) – 4:16
"Home Is Not A House" (Hans Dulfer, F Batta; arr. Bed) – 4:10

Something_To_Remember_Madge.jpg

I never was a big Madonna fan but this is really nice compilation album.

Track listingNo. Title Writer(s) Producer(s) Length
1. "I Want You" (with Massive Attack) Leon Ware, Arthur Ross Nellee Hooper 6:23
2. "I'll Remember" (Theme from the Motion Picture "With Honors") Patrick Leonard, Madonna, Richard Page Madonna, Patrick Leonard 4:22
3. "Take a Bow" Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds, Madonna Babyface, Madonna 5:21
4. "You'll See" Madonna, David Foster Madonna, David Foster 4:38
5. "Crazy for You" John Bettis, Jon Lind John "Jellybean" Benitez 4:02
6. "This Used to Be My Playground" Madonna, Shep Pettibone Madonna, Shep Pettibone 5:08
7. "Live to Tell" Madonna, P. Leonard Madonna, Patrick Leonard 5:51
8. "Love Don't Live Here Anymore" (Album Remix) Miles Gregory Nile Rodgers, David Reitzas 4:53
9. "Something to Remember" Madonna, P. Leonard Madonna, Patrick Leonard 5:02
10. "Forbidden Love" K. Edmonds, Madonna Nellee Hooper, Madonna 4:08
11. "One More Chance" Madonna, D. Foster Madonna, David Foster 4:27
12. "Rain" Madonna, S. Pettibone Madonna, Shep Pettibone 5:24
13. "Oh Father" (Alternate Version) Madonna, P. Leonard Madonna, Patrick Leonard 4:57
14. "I Want You" (Orchestral) L. Ware, A. Ross Nellee Hooper 6:04

Najee-Songs_From_The_Key_Of_Life_A_Trib_3.jpg

Najee Plays Songs From The Key Of Life -- CD
A Tribute To Stevie Wonder

Najee

1995 Capitol Records

On PLAYS SONGS FROM THE KEY OF LIFE, Najee covers every song from Stevie Wonder's 1976 album SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE, in the same order as the original album.
Throughout his career, saxophonist Najee has generally performed crossover music that mixes R&B, jazz, and pop. This particular date is one of his strongest and most jazz-oriented, a well-conceived tribute to Stevie Wonder. Najee (heard on soprano, flute, alto, and tenor) plays instrumental versions of the music from Wonder's famous Songs From the Key of Life album, plus several other notable Wonder songs. Assisted by such players as keyboardists George Duke, Ronnie Foster, and Herbie Hancock; guitarist Phil Upchurch; and a top-notch horn section, Najee creates fresh renditions of 21 Stevie Wonder tunes. Highlights include "Love's in Need of Love Today," "Sir Duke," "Knocks Me off My Feet," "If It's Magic," and a medley of "All Day Sucker" and "Easy Goin' Evening." Throughout the memorable set, Najee shows that he can be a strong jazz improviser while still remaining accessible. Recommended. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Love's in Need of Love Today
2. Have a Talk With God
3. Village Ghetto Land
4. Contusion
5. Sir Duke
6. I Wish
7. Knocks Me Off My Feet
8. Pastime Paradise
9. Summer Soft
10. Ordinary Pain
11. Saturn / Ebony Eyes
12. Isn't She Lovely / Joy Inside My Tears
13. Black Man
14. Nigiculela-es una Historia-I Am Singing
15. If It's Magic
16. As
17. Another Star
18. All Day Sucker / Easy Goin' Evening

618YmNaSG3L.jpg

Soldier of Love -- CD

Sade

2010 Sony Music

Sade is back and worth the wait, February 11, 2010
By Apodaca (El Paso, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soldier of Love (Audio CD)

I have been looking forward to this release for a long time now and it was worth the wait. Sade has come along way in her song writing abilities and it shows on each new release. While some may prefer some of her earlier work because its a bit more 'catchy', it now sometimes sounds a bit artificial/synthetic in style and arrangement compared to her recent releases. Her lyrics in her last two albums have a deeper message in my opinion. As for the music, I love how this lady can incorporate DEEP bass into her music - no one does it better in my opinion. This album may not appeal for those fans still stuck in the past but Soldier Of Love is still a five star album.

1. "The Moon and the Sky" Adu/Hale/Matthewman 4:28
2. "Soldier of Love" Adu/Hale/Matthewman/Denman 5:59
3. "Morning Bird" Adu/Hale/Matthewman 3:55
4. "Babyfather" Adu/Matthewman/Janes/Nicholls 4:40
5. "Long Hard Road" Adu/Janes/Nicholls 3:03
6. "Be That Easy" Adu/Matthewman 3:41
7. "Bring Me Home" Adu/Hale/Matthewman 4:09
8. "In Another Time" Adu/Hale/Matthewman 5:06
9. "Skin" Adu/Hale/Matthewman/Denman 4:13
10. "The Safest Place" Adu/Hale 2:46
Total length:
41:58

51E3OkHFmiL.jpg

A Night In San Francisco - Live -- 2 CD Set

Van Morrison

1994 Warner Bros. Records

WOW, September 24, 2008
By L. E. ALPERT "The Happy Wanderer" (North Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

This review is from: Night in San Francisco (Reis) (Audio CD)

Fabulous CD with great Blues! I mean Terrific Awesome BLUES! A must have for a complete Van Morrison collection.

Disc one

"Did Ye Get Healed?" – 4:18
"It's All in the Game/Make It Real One More Time" (Charles Dawes, Carl Sigman) / (Morrison) – 4:19
"I've Been Working" – 3:24
"I Forgot That Love Existed/All Along the Watchtower" (Morrison) / (Bob Dylan) – 6:17
"Vanlose Stairway/Trans-Euro Train/A Fool for You" (Morrison) / (Morrison) / (Ray Charles) – 6:55
"You Make Me Feel So Free" – 3:14
"Beautiful Vision" – 4:11
"See Me Through/Soldier of Fortune/Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)" (Morrison) / (Morrison) / (Sylvester Stewart) – 10:18
"Ain't That Loving You Baby?" (Ivory Joe Hunter, Clyde Otis) – 4:44
"Stormy Monday/Have You Ever Loved a Woman?/No Rollin' Blues" (T-Bone Walker) / (Billy Myles) / (Jimmy Witherspoon) – 6:08
"Help Me" (Sonny Boy Williamson) – 6:10
Organ solo from "Green Onions" (Booker T. Jones, Steve Cropper, Lewie Steinberg, Al Jackson, Jr.)
"Good Morning Little Schoolgirl" (Sonny Boy Williamson) – 3:33
"Tupelo Honey" – 4:01
"Moondance/My Funny Valentine" (Morrison) / (Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart) – 9:09

Disc two

"Jumpin' With Symphony Sid" (King Pleasure, Lester Young) – 4:47
"It Fills You Up" – 4:43
"I'll Take Care of You/It's a Man's Man's Man's World" (Brook Benton) / (James Brown, Betty Newsome) – 16:23
"Lonely Avenue/Be-Bop-A-Lula/4 O'Clock in the Morning (Try for Sleep)/Family Affair/You Give Me Nothing but the Blues/When Will I Become A Man?/Sooner Or Later/Down the Line" (Doc Pomus) / (Gene Vincent, Bill Davis) / (Morrison, John Platania) / (Sylvester Stewart) / (Morrison) / (Erica Ehm, Tim Thorney) / (Vernon, Ross, Shaw) / (Roy Orbison) – 14:51
"So Quiet in Here/That's Where It's At" (Morrison) / (James Alexander, Sam Cooke) – 5:00
"In the Garden/Real Real Gone/You Send Me/Allegheny" (Morrison) / (Morrison) / (Sam Cooke) / (Bill Staines) – 9:41
"Have I Told You Lately" – 3:51
"Shakin' All Over/Gloria" (Johnny Kidd) / (Morrison) – 11:29

b666c0a398a0a346ba242210.L.jpg

"You Had To Be There" - Live -- 2 CD Set

Jimmy Buffett

1978/1990 Records

How it used to be, December 17, 2003
By William J. Eichelberger "I will not go quietly" (Ft. Thomas, KY) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: You Had To Be There: Jimmy Buffett In Concert (Audio CD)

For those of you who think the real thing is the antiseptic, sanitized version who's been raking in the cash since the mid-80's, this is the disc that will change your mind. This is how it was in Jimmy's creative heyday. Every concert a for-real party with plenty of recreational stimulants and rum for all. Jimmy cleaned up his act as the '80's rolled along, and with the cleaning went a lot of the life. Creatively he's never really come close to the early days, and his concerts are so dull that he depends on the crowd to make their own show, with his music as the soundtrack. This isn't all bad, as it means Jimmy is still with us, but now he's punching the clock for a paycheck more than leading the party.

Disc One:

Son of a Son of a Sailor" (Jimmy Buffett) 4:21
Pencil Thin Mustache" (Jimmy Buffett) 4:37
Wonder Why We Ever Go Home" (Jimmy Buffett) 4:13
Landfall" (Jimmy Buffett) 3:32
Miss You So Badly" (Jimmy Buffett/Greg Taylor) 4:19
Havaña Daydreamin'" (Jimmy Buffett) 6:34
Margaritaville" (Jimmy Buffett) 5:30
Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes" (Jimmy Buffett) 3:28
Come Monday" (Jimmy Buffett) 3:41
Perrier Blues" (Jimmy Buffett) 3:52

Disc Two:

Grapefruit-Juicy Fruit" (Jimmy Buffett) 8:06
God's Own Drunk" (Lord Buckley) 12:40
He Went to Paris" (Jimmy Buffett) 6:13
The Captain and The Kid" (Jimmy Buffett) 4:15
Why Don't We Get Drunk (and Screw)" (Marvin Gardens) 6:23
A Pirate Looks at Forty" (Jimmy Buffett) 5:47
Tampico Trauma" (Jimmy Buffett) 5:47
Morris' Nightmare" (Tim Krekel/Jimmy Buffett) 3:27
Dixie Diner" (L. Raspberry/G. Taylor/C. Ferrante/R. Berretta/B. Marshall) 6:22

30c7810ae7a0e61201949110.L.jpg

Live In New York City -- 2 CD Set

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band

2000 Columbia Records

Definitive Bruce and the E-Street Band, April 4, 2001
By Rob Damm - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live In New York City (2CD) (Audio CD)

Here is a pristine document of one of the finest working bands in the history of rock music, performing some of the genre's finest songs. The album serves as a great tour through the Boss's career, including absolutely killer versions of his best songs. The first three songs are great, but things really start to cook on track 4 with a stunning reading of "Atlantic City". The performance simmers and roars, perfectly complimenting the pathologly of rage, regreat, violence and despair within the song. The repeat of the chorus at the end with everyone singing is just chilling. They sound like ghosts. "Mansion on the Hill" is given a tropical treatment that plays up the wistfulness and longing in th tune... I could go on. A stone-cold killer version of "Badlands" with agonized backing vocals that need to be heard to be believed. An extended, almost slo-mo take on "The River" is just harrowing, an equally loose reading of "Jungle Land" later on is redemtive. Quite frankly, the band, the songs and Bruce have never sounded better. He is in top vocal form, adding some haunting, high-lonesome yodels to some tunes. Any one of the songs on these discs is almost worth the price of admission. If you are a fan, you'll need these mind-blowing versions. If you don't have any other Springsteen discs, buy this first. Every sonsg is better than the studio version. Esssential stuff.

The recording quality is solid, really replicating the sound and feel of the live show. You can hear every instrument and every vocal part. It recreates the sense of space and energy wonderfully.

Disc one

My Love Will Not Let You Down
Prove It All Night
Two Hearts
Atlantic City
Mansion on the Hill
The River
Youngstown
Murder Incorporated
Badlands
Out in the Street
Born to Run (bonus track, see above)

Disc two

Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
Land of Hope and Dreams
American Skin (41 Shots)
Lost in the Flood
Born in the U.S.A.
Don't Look Back
Jungleland
Ramrod
If I Should Fall Behind

Stayin' Live and Stayin' in NYC.... :bow-blue:

6854810ae7a0c4ca4d890210.L.jpg

Live In NYC Volume 7 -- CD

Jaco Pastorius

1999 Big World Music

Forget what you,ve heard!, February 27, 2000
By Rick Mathis - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live in New York 7 (Audio CD)

This is the latest in a series of recordings made of Jaco Pastorius in various New York venues which has been released by Big World Records. Now this series has received alot of flack in the press, ranging from the legality of the recordings to the less than hi-fidelity sound. Granted, these recordings were made using a portable DAT recorder and stereo mike by the "producer" Neil Weiss as he sat at one of the tables in the club. Hardly top of the line recording techniques. However I must say, many of my favorite jazz recordings from the 50's and 60's have far inferior sound than this series of cd's. That fact does not keep me from enjoying them. The bottom line is this: these recordings were made for those of us who are already Jaco fans, many of whom never had the opportunity to hear him live in a club setting. If you fall into that category, forget what you've heard. Buy this disc, turn out the lights, close your eyes, turn up the volume, and I'll bet it won't be hard to imagine yourself being right there in the club. And there's no two drink minimum.

1. Bass Solo/Amerika
2. Continuum
3. Straight Life
4. Teen Town
5. Dolphin Dance
6. Agaya
7. History
8. Three Views Of A Secret

Stayin' Live, Stayin' in NYC and Stayin with Jaco.... :text-bravo:

5f04c0a398a003b22d890210.L.jpg

Live In NYC Volume 2 -- CD

Jaco Pastorius

1992 Big World Music

You MUST have this one!, May 23, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Live in New York 2: Trio (Audio CD)
Do you like jazz? Rock? Great playing with passionate fire?

You've got it! But this one and you won't regret it. The recording is good and the songs are amazing (listen to "I shot the Sheriff" and you'll know what I'm talking about).

Jaco is (still) simply the best bass player in the whole world, and on this CD he's playing a fretted basss. His skills were untouched, despite the health problems he was facing in that period due to alcohol and drug addiction. From all CDs issued after this death, this and number 3 are the best.

1. Wipe Out
2. Straight Life
3. I Shot The Sheriff
4. Teen Town
5. Dear Prudence
6. Ode To Billie Joe
7. Continuum
8. Son Of Creeper
9. Cissy Strut
10. Three Views Of A Secret

Watching a run of 30 for 30 on ESPN classic while listening to some polish prog/rock.

Riverside: Anno Domini High Definition.

riverside.jpg

Stayin' Live, movin' to California..... :flags-usa:

614-SjvjwIL.jpg

BIG SWING FACE - Recorded Live at The Chez Hollywood California -- CD

The Buddy Rich Big Band

1967/1996 Pacific Jazz

Pure Drumming Pleasure, December 1, 1999
By Phil Bostian (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Big Swing Face (Audio CD)
The original LP release of this album was nothing short of absolutely amazing. Now with the bonus tracks, any lover of Buddy Rich's drumming cannot afford to be without the CD version. Two tracks are particularly worthy of Buddy. "Love for Sale" has to have the most energetic single stroke roll in the history of jazz drumming. How he lived through that one, let alone played it, is unknown to me. Then there is "Apples (aka Gino)" which I nominate as the new "Cute." On this one, though, there are no brushes, just a hard, driving, nearly machine-like pace that's leaves the listener breathless and eager to play the track again.

"Big Swing Face" is notable for the woodwind ensemble work, smooth as silk, and there's the rebirth of "Bugle Call Rag." No, it's not very military here, just a hard, swinging tune.

A bonus is "The Beat Goes On" with Buddy's daughter Cathy Rich providing the vocal.

If you like big bands, and a drummer that really kicks the band into better, more inspired playing, you won't go wrong with this CD.

LP side A:

"Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)" (Lennon and McCartney) – 2:57
"Big Swing Face" (Bill Potts) – 5:15
"Monitor Theme" (Bernie Baum, Bill Giant, Florence Kaye) – 2:24
"Wack Wack" (Isaac "Redd" Holt, Donald Storball, Hysear Don Walker, Jimmy Young) – 3:04
"Love for Sale" (Cole Porter) – 4:30

LP side B:

"Mexicali Nose" (Harry Betts) – 2:49
"Willowcrest" (Bob Florence) – 4:55
"The Beat Goes On" (Sonny Bono) – 4:40
"Bugle Call Rag" (Billy Meyers, Jack Pettis, Elmer Schoebel) – 4:42

Bonus tracks on 1996 CD reissue:

"Standing Up in a Hammock" (Potts) – 2:32
"Chicago" (Fred Fisher) – 2:47
"Lament for Lester" (Jay Corre) – 2:30
"Machine" (Bill Reddie) – 3:45
"Silver Threads Among the Blues" (Don Piestrup) – 4:40
"New Blues" (Piestrup) – 4:38
"Old Timey" (Bob Florence) – 3:25
"Loose" (Bill Holman) – 4:05
"Apples (aka Gino)" (Arthur M. Wiggins) – 2:35

Switching gears..... :auto-layrubber:

d7a9225b9da026781fbac010.L.jpg

Retrospective - The Best of Buffalo Springfield -- CD

Buffalo Springfield

1969/1990 Atlantic Records

Amazon.com

Only a handful of bands have made a greater impact with fewer recordings than the short-lived Buffalo Springfield. Their history is told in the titles of their three albums: 1967's eponymous debut was followed by the peak-performance Again later that year, which was followed by 1968's Last Time Around. While their entire recorded career encompasses a mere two years, the Stephen Stills-Neil Young-Richie Furay-led quintet produced a number of '60s rock classics. Stills chipped in "For What It's Worth" and "Bluebird"; Furay's "Kind Woman" is one of the touchstones of country-rock; and Young fired off the likes of the raucous "Mr. Soul," the gentle "I Am a Child," the ambitious "Broken Arrow," and the breathtakingly pretty "Expecting to Fly." They're all on this 12-song overview, a suitable option for anyone who isn't up to stocking up on the entire catalog. --Steven Stolder

Side One:

"For What It's Worth" (Stills) – 2:37
Recorded December 5, 1966, Columbia Studios, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Stephen Stills. Bass: Bruce Palmer. Producers: Charles Green and Brian Stone. Running time incorrectly listed on the album's cover as 3:00.
"Mr. Soul" (Young) – 2:35
Recorded April 4, 1967. Lead vocal: Neil Young. Bass: Bruce Palmer.
"Sit Down I Think I Love You" (Stills) – 2:30
Recorded August 1966, Gold Star Studios, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Stephen Stills. Bass: Bruce Palmer. Producers: Charles Green and Brian Stone.
"Kind Woman" (Furay) – 4:10
Recorded February-March 6, 1968, Atlantic Studios, New York City & Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Richie Furay. Bass: Jim Messina. Producer: Jim Messina.
"Bluebird" (Stills) – 4:28
Recorded April 8, 1967, Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Stephen Stills. Bass: Bobby West
"On the Way Home" (Young) – 2:25
Recorded November 15-December 13, 1967, Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Richie Furay. Bass: Bruce Palmer.

Side Two:

"Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing" (Young) – 3:26
Recorded July 18, 1966, Gold Star Studios, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Richie Furay. Bass: Bruce Palmer. Producers: Charles Green and Brian Stone.
"Broken Arrow" (Young) – 6:13
Recorded August 25 & September 5-18, 1967, Columbia Recording Studios & Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Neil Young. Bass: Bruce Palmer.
"Rock and Roll Woman" (Stills) – 2:44
Recorded June 22, August 8 & October 8, 1967, Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Stephen Stills. Rhythm guitar: Jim Fielder. Bass: Bruce Palmer.
"I Am a Child" (Young) – 2:15
Recorded February 5, 1968, Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Neil Young. Bass: Gary Marker. Producer: Jim Messina.
"Go and Say Goodbye" (Stills) – 2:19
Recorded July 18, 1966, Gold Star Studios, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Stephen Stills. Bass: Bruce Palmer. Producers: Charles Green and Brian Stone.
"Expecting to Fly" (Young)– 3:39
Recorded May 6, 1967, Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Neil Young. Arrangement: Jack Nitzsche. Note: Neil Young is the only member of the group who appears on this recording.

Man, what a SUPERGROUP........ :bow-blue:

6197vo9kC-L.jpg

The Traveling Wilburys Collection - 2nd Edition Remastered 2 CD + DVD Box Set

The Traveling Wilburys

2007 Rhino Records

Amazon.com

The Traveling Wilburys were one of the few supergroups that lived up to their promise, because they didn't try to. Things started inauspiciously when George Harrison, needing a B-side for a 1988 single, called in friends Jeff Lynne, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, and Roy Orbison for assistance. Two albums later--the second without Orbison, who had passed away shortly after the first was released--the loose-knit collective had recorded material that was as durable, and occasionally eclipsed, the participants' legendary solo work. The Wilburys succeeded due to a genial and contagious camaraderie that permeates both discs. What could have been a train wreck of ego clashes instead resulted in a frothy meeting of the minds. These guys are having a blast, trading lead vocals and harmonies on energetic folk-rock, quirky rockabilly, and Beatlesque pop that shimmers with the respect and esteem the members clearly hold for each other. Harrison and Lynne's rather slick production polishes off edges that might better have been left unvarnished, but there's no denying the loosey-goosey craftsmanship at work in tunes such as "Handle with Care," "End of the Line," and a striking Orbison performance on "Not Alone Anymore" that ranks with any of his finest. Both albums were million-sellers, but oddly went out of print for about a decade until Rhino resurrected them, adding two rare tracks per disc as well as a DVD of music videos and a band documentary. The resulting package is a comprehensive overview of a once--well, twice--in-a-lifetime project that, especially after Harrison's passing, will never be repeated. --Hal Horowitz

Disc: 1

1. Handle With Care
2. Dirty World
3. Rattled
4. Last Night
5. Not Alone Any More
6. Congratulations
7. Heading For The Light
8. Margarita
9. Tweeter And The Monkey Man
10. End Of The Line
11. Maxine (Bonus)
12. Like A Ship (Bonus)

Disc: 2

1. She's My Baby
2. Inside Out
3. If You Belonged To Me
4. The Devil's Been Busy
5. 7 Deadly Sins
6. Poor House
7. Where Were You Last Night?
8. Cool Dry Place
9. New Blue Moon
10. You Took My Breath Away
11. Wilbury Twist
12. Nobody's Child (Bonus)
13. Runaway (Bonus)

Disc: 3

1. The True History Of The Traveling Wilburys [DVD]
2. Music Videos
3. Handle With Care [DVD]
4. End of The Line [DVD]
5. She's My Baby [DVD]
6. Inside Out [DVD]
7. Wilbury Twist (2007 Version) [DVD]

9b83c0a398a0762965391210.L.jpg

Hasten Down The Wind -- 24k Gold Limited Edition CD

Linda Ronstadt

2009 Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab

Amazon.com essential recording

After the critical and commercial smash Heart Like a Wheel, Linda Ronstadt could have had her pick of material from the day's top songwriters. Instead, she chose the wares of a couple of young artists on the rise, Warren Zevon and Karla Bonoff. Each provided her with first-rate material for Hasten Down the Wind: Zevon wrote the title track and Bonoff supplied "Someone to Lay Down Beside Me," "Lose Again," and "If He's Ever Near." Ronstadt also bravely covers songs already done definitively by others--Patsy Cline's "Crazy," Buddy Holly's "That'll Be the Day," and Tracy Nelson's "Down So Low"--and emerges not merely unscathed, but triumphant. She also presages the turn toward Spanish material her career took in the '80s with "Lo Siento Mi Vida." It's easy to see why the public went wild for Hasten, Ronstadt's first platinum album. --Daniel Durchholz

"Lose Again" (Karla Bonoff) - 3:34
"The Tattler" (Ry Cooder, Russ Titelman, Washington Phillips) - 3:56
"If He's Ever Near" (Karla Bonoff) - 3:15
"That'll Be the Day" (Jerry Allison, Buddy Holly, Norman Petty) - 2:32
"Lo Siento Mi Vida" (Linda Ronstadt, Kenny Edwards, Gilbert Ronstadt) - 3:54
"Hasten Down the Wind" (Warren Zevon) - 2:40
"Rivers of Babylon" (Brent Dowe, Trevor McNaughton, S. McNaughton) - 0:52
"Give One Heart" (John Hall, Johanna Hall) - 4:07
"Try Me Again" (Linda Ronstadt, Andrew Gold) - 3:59
"Crazy" (Willie Nelson) - 3:58
"Down So Low" (Tracy Nelson) - 4:08
"Someone to Lay Down Beside Me" (Karla Bonoff) - 4:28

HCjr_We_Are_In_Love.jpg

Track listing1."We Are in Love" – 2:40
2."Only 'Cause I Don't Have You" – 4:22
3."Recipe for Love" – 2:34
4."Drifting" (Marc Shaiman) – 5:14
5."Forever, for Now" – 4:20
6."A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square" (Eric Maschwitz, Manning Sherwin) – 5:09
7."Heavenly" – 1:59
8."Just a Boy" – 6:05
9."I've Got a Great Idea" – 4:21
10."I'll Dream of You Again" – 3:33
11."It's All Right with Me" (Cole Porter) – 4:53
12."Buried in Blue" – 6:55

Happy Memorial Day, Everyone! :eek:ccasion-unclesam:

Let's not forget to take a moment and remember those who gave all, so we can sit here today and enjoy this great Music, Food and Camaraderie.

:flags-usa:

b8e8e03ae7a071e526eef110.L.jpg

Unleashed -- CD

Toby Keith

2002 Dreamworks Nashville

Amazon.com

Toby Keith has never been shy, but on Unleashed the Oklahoman proves he has more in common with Charlie Daniels and Hank Williams Jr. than you might have thought. The headline-making hit single "Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue (The Angry American)" will either impress you as a piece of jingoistic hooey or rally your fighting blood with its images ("the Statue of Liberty started shaking her fist") of patriotic retaliation. The "eye for an eye" mood continues on "Beer for My Horses," a frontier-justice saga on which Willie Nelson duets. But after that, things start falling into the usual formula: a killer pop ballad ("Rock You Baby"), some smart-ass sexual grandstanding ("Who's Your Daddy"), and a few midtempo ruminations on life and love that catch the ear but ultimately prove forgettable. By the time he gets to "It Works for Me," in which Keith celebrates the virtues of country living ("If it's so good in the city / Why don't anybody smile?"), you'll swear it's a Bocephus CD in your player. Oh, you rowdy boys! --Alanna Nash

1. Courtesy Of The Red, White, And Blue (The Angry American)
2. Who's Your Daddy?
3. Good To Go To Mexico
4. It's All Good
5. Beer For My Horses
6. Losing My Touch
7. Huckleberry
8. It Works For Me
9. Ain't It Just Like You
10. Rock You Baby
11. Rodeo Moon
12. That's Not How It Is

Back